[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mass effect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
How is this game /v/?
I know 3 is shit but what about this or 2? Are they good? Never played any of them but I am considering buying the first one.
>>
>>336655846
me1 and 2 are both 10/10 in different ways
3 is alright except for everything past tuchanka
>>
1 is good. 2 is also good, improved combat but they fucked up exploration. 3 wasn't THAT bad up until the end. The only reason people say 3 was bad was just because they felt cheated and lied to and righfully so. But until 3 fucked everyone in the ass /v/ sucked mass effect 2's dick.
>>
1 has 10/10 story and decent gameplay. 2 has 10/10 gameplay and a story that's half good half daddy issues. Seriously, almost every loyalty mission is about someone's father
>>
>>336655846
The first one is amazing, the third one is pretty good, aside from the ending, 2 is basically skippable.
>>
>>336655846
1 is a decent game. Good start to the series. 2 somehow manages to be worse than 3 and is the point where the series went to shit.
>>
1 is star warsXstar trek tos
2 is the prequels/pacific rim
3 is jersey shore/call of duty/oxygen channel
>>
The only thing I really dislike about it is the inventory management.

Other than that, solid game.
>>
>>336655846
2 is kinda pointless since 3 ended up being shit. Just play 1.
>>
>>336655846
3 isn't shit. it's actually my favorite of the trilogy. Just make sure you get the extended cut ending.

But you should play it, it's one of the best series of all time.
>>
>1
incredibly rough around the edges in terms of graphics and inventory management
features what you might call a "standard" space opera plot
probably the best in the series but some people hate it
>2
much more sleek looking, combat is significantly better in most ways (although simplified)
tried a slightly less straightforward plot that ultimately didn't really work
features a huge cast of cool companion characters, but ultimately doesn't generate nearly the same level of interest and tension in its world
>>
>>336655846
Mass Effect 1 actually let you explore planets
the gunplay part is pretty shit though
>>
1 is great
2 was a good game until 3 poisoned its memory.
>>
>>336656039

This anon has it right. Each game has flaws that the other excels in. Play them both and you'll see.
I didn't bother with ME3 though.
>>
>>336658070
Something about the look and feel of 1 seemed better. And i prefered its flawed yet unique combat to the generic, and im understating 'generic', combat of 2.

I loved the grain filter in 1, despite knowing its purpose
>>
>>336658232
totally agree. but I'd feel disingenuous claiming that considering on a technical level 2 is miles better, I know a lot of people can't look past 1's dated look and somewhat clunky combat
>>
>>336658070
i actually hated 2 at first because you couldn't get any of your original party members except garrus and tali, and kaidan was really mean to me on horizon :(

but then i played me3 and missed playing as jack
>>
>>336655846
1 was great but hasn't aged well.
2 was so riddled with bugs I didn't finish
3 never cared since I didn't finish 2.

If you liked dragon age 2, you'll like 1 and 2 since they're the same game. Just like how skyrim and fo4 are pretty much the same game.
>>
>>336655846
Liked all three for different reasons.
>>
>>336655846
>Buggy in places
>Mako drives like shit
>Gunplay is "meh"
>Story and lore is pretty good
>Armor is "meh", but customization is pretty good
>All your actions have different consequences/you can hear about how fucked or better the galaxy is thanks to you
>Loyalty points have value
>Gunplay is better
>Mako is gone instead of being improved
>Armor is more aesthetically-pleasing
>Every mission is corridors and manages to be less open than 1
>UNIVERSAL AMMO GUIZ
>Less lore, story is shit
>Loyalty missions are "meh" with only Jacob and Mordin having good ones
>Inconsequential, and adds nothing
>Somehow the gameplay gets worse
>EDI becomes a sexbot because
>Story starts okay, hits full retard after Tuchanka
>Kai Leng
>Martin Sheen is wasted
>NONE OF YOUR CHOICES MATTER
>Gunplay is "okay"
>Animations and shit are somehow worse than 2
>Great multiplayer
>That ending
>Only Tali's "goodbye" before the ending makes the entire thing maybe 10% worthwhile.
The rule of thumb is to play 1 and 2, then headcanon 3 out of existence.
>>
ME1 is a great RPG.

ME2 is a boring TPS.

I never played ME3 because ME2 made me hate the franchise.
>>
>>336655846
Overall shitty series. Bioware hasn't made a good game since NWN
>>
ME1 is a flawed RPG but still quite enjoyable story, exploration and world. Shooting, the overheating mechanic is quite nice in the weapons.

ME2 is a generic cover shooter with light RPG elements that did some retardation on most of the story, they turned hub towns into corridors with staircases.
>>
i still dont get why ea wont sell a complete edition trilogy.
>>
ME1 is a great RPG with good antagonists and a sense of exploration.
ME2 cuts back on the explaration and rpg elements, yet is still fun to play through. Questionable main plot after the first game that feels not as connected to what should be the main threat.
ME3 has better gameplay than 2, and tuchanka is pretty great, but the further you get into the game the more you see how it was rushed. Mods help fix some issues, making it imo worth playing all the way to the end once.
Large pacing/war assets/galaxy map mod, essentially expands it to feel more like a war:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350/? Seriously get this mod if you ever intend of playing ME3.
Unshits ending: http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/265/?
Removes kiddo because holy shit that part was forced:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/265/?

Nothing is ever going to remove that sour taste of the original ending though. Fucking bioshits.
>>
>>336659268
Fuck last link was meant to be this
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/362/?
>>
>>336655846
3 was amazing until the ending. The ending was very easily the worst ending to a game (series) I know of.
>>
>>336655846
Real talk.

ME1 is a great RPG but it aged poorly.

ME2 streamlined the combat and it plays like a modern game. Story not nearly as good and RPG elements cut.

ME3 Had the best combat but the story was shit and there was no option to roleplay. It was so poorly received that it basically killed the IP. Andromeda is in a different time and place.

They were all worth playing in their own ways, especially if you are going into it without the lies about choices mattering.
>>
>>336659396
That's a fucking meme that needs to die

>awful animations for running
>sprites
>pulling the crucible out of their collective asses
>Kai Leng, the wannabe Xx_sephiroth_xX with extra thick plot armor
>as if things aren't ridiculous enough already, the fucking ship AI wants to date the pilot
>>
>>336655846
i love the whole series
i acknowledge the (sometimes glaring) flaws and issues with 3
definitely worth playing
>>
>>336655846
Good story, introduced us to a universe with memorable characters. Responsible for getting me hooked on sci-fi as a genre (not just for vidya as well). ME3 had the best gunplay/combat (it felt the most fluid); multiplayer was a unexpected not shit. In the end, the series is the only one that I've bought all the DLC for.
>>
>>336658574
>NONE OF YOUR CHOICES MATTER
My favorite ME3 meme.
>>
>make good character
>name him john shepard

>make evil character
>name him jack shepard

jack just sound eviler to me
>>
>>336655846
ME1 is only good if you're a lorefag. Gameplay sucks, it's short as fuck unless you do the repetitive sidequests which are pretty much all the same, and you can't even have sex with best girl.

>>336658074
>Exploring planets
>They're all the same
>>
>ME2 has such better combat!

It played smoother, sure. But fuck those "coolant sticks" or whatever they decided would be ammunition. ME1's "ammunition" was much more clever and fit in with the universe. You can just feel some suit looking over the development of ME2 and say, "Infinite ammo? Naw. Make it more like other shooters. Other shooters sell better."
>>
>>336660237

The exploration is a personal preference. I was actually more let down by the outposts on the planets than the planet itself. Every outpost, hideout, etc was the same generic room. Combine ME1's exploration with ME2's map design and you'd have perfection.
>>
>>336660265
They pretty much turned it into a shittier Gears of War
>>
>>336656216

Its not almost every loyalty mission. Its literally every loyalty mission, except Garrus. Every loyalty mission is about someones family, son, father etc. And the end boss is a reaper human fetus. I guess its just the overarching theme of ME2. Both ME2 and ME3 are pretty Evangelion esque
>>
>>336660237
>with best girl
Tali of course
>>
>>336660265
They wanted shots to matter more so they thought ammo would keep you from just spraying everywhere. Originally, ME2 was going to have ME1's overheat system with the option of using thermal sinks to instantly cool your gun. Playtesters were too stupid just they just simplified the new system into ammo. Or so the legend goes anyway.
>>
I am actually replaying the 3 games right now. I never bothered finishing ME3 so I am actually going to do that now. I am on ME3 now and I am really noticing how rushed it is. Seems like its a different team that made it or something. Its just "off". I'll still finish it though.
>>
>>336659396
Everything involving Cerberus was bad.
>>
>>336659930

>>as if things aren't ridiculous enough already, the fucking ship AI wants to date the pilot

I was fine with this.

>awful animations for running

Yeah holy shit what the fuck was up with the animations. Especially for femshep.
>>
>>336660556

... that would have appeased my 'tism. Instead, I run out of ammo and am wondering why my character can't just blow frantically on the rifle.
>>
The hate for Mass Effect 3 is the most retarded thing in the gaming community right up there with Lets Plays and MOBAs.
>>
>>336655846
they are all shit but you'll like it cause /v/ thinks so.
>>
>>336655846
The first two are pretty good, even though the second game's ending gives you a bullshit false dichotomy for a final choice.

The problem is that the third game retroactively ruins everything that came before it. The more invested you are in the universe and characters, the more ME3 will disappoint you.
>>
File: swagmaster9000.jpg (427 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
swagmaster9000.jpg
427 KB, 900x900
Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.

So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.

-KL
>>
File: specialeyes.gif (534 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
specialeyes.gif
534 KB, 260x146
IT DOESN'T HAVE
A THERMAL
CLIP
>>
>>336655846
>I know 3 is shit
>Never played any of them

I fucking hate /v/
>>
File: 1459798309418.jpg (143 KB, 1023x636) Image search: [Google]
1459798309418.jpg
143 KB, 1023x636
>>336665289
Posted real version
>>
File: 500.png (297 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500.png
297 KB, 500x500
>>336655846
3 was the best game in the series
>>
File: Axg2o.jpg (615 KB, 2937x1602) Image search: [Google]
Axg2o.jpg
615 KB, 2937x1602
Just finished replaying 2. The music of the suicide mission is so fucking hype
>>
>>336656039
Fist post best post.
>>
ME1 is one of the worst AAA RPGs I've ever played. ME2 stripped too much of the RPG part away and it was still better. In an ideal world, they'd just improve everything they had, but they didn't, so you have to judge it by what they did: lighter leveling and no planet exploration is greatly preferable to shit versions of both.
>>
File: 386147258.jpg (44 KB, 736x411) Image search: [Google]
386147258.jpg
44 KB, 736x411
1 is pretty outdated, bad and clunky, I'd say skip it.

2 fixed all the shit and is pretty much a perfect game in itself and it put Mass Effect on the map.

Like you said, 3 is pretty bad but still better than 1, also the multiplayer is fun.
>>
>>336658150
3 isn't as bad as /v/ makes it out to be. All three games have their strengths and flaws. I say play all 3 OP.
>>
>>336666362
It's common knowledge, you don't have to watch some bad movies or games to know they are bad since the bad mouthing is everywhere.
>>
>>336656039
This though I would also add everything before you get to the citadel in me3 is shit as well
>>
>>336655846
3 is not shit!

play 1, get used to the gameplay, carry your character through to 2, then 3. imerse yourself and see how your previous decisions affect the next game
>god tier trilogy
>>
>>336669968
You should watch the movie/play the game and form your own opinion instead of parroting someone else's
>>
>>336667387
arguable but yes it was pretty good. annoying ending, it was game of thrones level controversy but I think the first one was the best. Saren was a god tier antagonist
>>
>ME1
Felt like actual space shooter with actually exploring the space.

>ME2 & ME3
Third-person call of duty with somewhat futuristic theme.
>>
>>336669805
fuck that, you cant skip the first one. who cares if its outdated. play a couple of hours and you'll get use to it. complete it and you'll wanna play it again
>>
>>336670474
exactly. still good story though
>>
>>336670358
>you should eat your poop and form your own opinion instead of parroting
Nope, that's not how that works.
>>
>>336656039
literally this
>>
>>336670643
Brilliant analogy dude.
>>
>>336655846
Play 1 and pretend it ends there. 2 improves combat and looks slightly better but otherwise it's dumbed down garbage.
>>
File: edi back.jpg (127 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
edi back.jpg
127 KB, 1280x720
best waifu
>>
>>336659396
You can't look at Tali singing and tell me with a straight face that ME3 was good.
>>
>>336661379
I unironically agree
>>
>>336655846
ME1 has trash gameplay but you end up loving it anyway because of the god-tier story and world building.
ME2 turned into a mediocre shooter, which compared to what ME1 had is still an upgrade for the most part. The story is ok but suffers from being nothing but filler, but once again you end up sticking with it anyway because of the characters. Especially the returning ones got much better.
ME3 improves the action gameplay until it's actually sort of fun, the story is fine although somewhat rushed... until the last five minutes, where everything goes to shit for the dumbest reasons possible. There's mods that literally rip those five minutes away with nothing to make up for them, and it still comes out better overall.
>>
I love all three games and think they're perfect, sorry bros
>>
>>336655846
The ME series is probably my favorite series ever. The hours I've logged in them cumulatively is absolutely outrageous. The first time I tried ME1 I hated it. But the second time I loved it. I highly recommend all the games. Tali is best, tali is love.
>>
What are all these patricians doing awake at this hour?
>>
>>336656039
You are now aware that /v/ get's more and more underage by the second. Sad really, people actually calling mass effect 1 and 2 10/10s, pathetic.
>>
>>336671903
t. can't stand the idea of people thinking differently from me

>pathetic
>>
>>336672035
Mass effect 1 while a great game is nowhere near 10/10, it's mediocre and bland and was a sign that Bioware was losing their touch. Mass Effect 2 was made to appeal to the CoD kiddies by removing all rpg elements and making it into a terrible cover shooter. The story was also bland there as well, never played 3 because 2 was a nosedive in quality, but from what I hear it only got worse. Get better taste.
>>
>>336671250
There's plenty of reasons to complain about ME3, a piece of DLC that has nothing to do with the rest of the story and is fully aware of its shitty fanservicey nature is not one of them.
>>
>>336672129
Whoa it's almost like it's an opinion or something

inb4 """""""""""""objective"""""""""""" opinion :'3
>>
>>336655846
kyllä ykkönen on ilman muuta paras, kakkonen menettelee ja kolmonenkin on gameplayltään ihan jees.
>>
>>336672231
Compare the writing for shit effect to their earlier titles when they actually made coherent rpgs. That's all the objectivity you need when actually assessing the quality of the series. Mass effect was the beta test for Dragon Age Inquistion, liking mass effect past 1 means you actually enjoy the cancerous bioware that they became over time. Seriously it's pathetic.
>>
>>336672342
siitin
>>
andromeda please be good, please

I cant believe they ruined so much of the potential with me2 and me3, the games weren't even bad, its just that the whole reaper thing should have ended with me1, the later titles should have just been some detective spectre work in space - throw in some consipiracies and inter-racial conflicts and there you go a brilliant game
>>
>>336672350
>Seriously it's pathetic.
Are you from tumblr? Get a grip dude.
>>
>>336672231

You know I can still enjoy a game greatly then sit down and give it a fair judgement, perhaps you should do try and do the same, especially considering how much of a rugged gem ME1 is. Also work on not typing like a massive faggot, couldn't hurt.
>>
>>336672441
So what you're implying is that you've got some objective standard huh :-)
>>
>>336672439
That's cute that you would bring up the tumblr boogeyman when the actual fanbase in the majority for Bioware is literally tumblrites harassing the devs while they capitulate to their lib-cuck demands to have games that are LGBT friendly. Top kek.
>>
>>336672536

Well, yeah. Everyone should at least attempt to be as objective as possible when criticizing something, even more so if it's something they love.
>>
>>336655846
It's aged poorly, but the storylines and interactions are still golden.
>>
>>336672573
>while they capitulate to their lib-cuck demands to have games that are LGBT friendly.

Bioware has been gay-friendly since Jade Empire at least.
>>
1 has the best story, world and atmosphere. its gameplay isnt bad, but its a bit janky and certain aspects feel half assed. its last act imo is one of the best in a game. because of its world and setup it tends to leave a bigger impression even if its not the most funnest to play.

2 polishes the hell out of everything, but skimps out on a lot of systems in favor of traditional cover shooting. the scope in general feels more limited and its core story leaves a lot to be desired. its side storys and general party interaction is top notch.

3 has the best combat in the series as well as some of the best story missions and its coop horde mode is surprising good. its payoff for the series is fucking bad tho and the game has a noticeable lack of polish and shockingly lazy designs at points. Its worth seeing to the end if youre invested in the first two, but keep your expectations in check.
>>
>>336655846
Ending of the third is like being slapped with a dick in the face.The feeling of greef and catharsis after finishing all 3 in one go is priceless tho.
PS. Garrus and Wrex are best bros.
>>
>>336673123
Not like it is now, it was innocent back then, acceptable, now it's straight up pandering to the mentally ill.
>>
>>336673293
Who decides that?
>>
>>336673356
Decides what? How far Bioware is going to pander? Tumblr and reddit and the opression Olympics.
>>
>>336673356
People who shitpost on 4chan.
>>
1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

3 is a good game just not great like first two
>>
>>336672350
>>336672573
>>336673293
>>336673621
This is ACTUALLY how some people legitimate think on /v/
>>
>>336674145
The change in Bioware and it's pandering is common knowledge, it isn't just 4chan that has some secret knowledge to how bad bioware has gotten under EA, unless you are fucking retarded of course.
>>
>>336674348
Grow up
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.