[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this has the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this has the best gameplay in the series? Or are we still pretending it was bad because we're butthurt over the Venom Snake twist and the cutscenes arent 20 hours long?
>>
>>336489572
Yes.
>>
>mechanics are solid even if shit like knocking is gone
>level design is barren as fuck
Nah, way too much empty fucking space. Kojima bought into the open world hype.
>>
>>336489673
>knocking is gone
are you sure about that?
>>
>>336489673
The open world wasnt meant to be GTA style sandbox. It was so you could approach the outposts and missions from any direction.

I will admit its not perfect (its criminal that the jungle near lufwa valley is almost never used) but its still better than the incredibly linear style of previous games that only had maybe 4 hours of actial gameplay, tops
>>
File: gz.jpg (279 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gz.jpg
279 KB, 1920x1080
>>336489572
>best gameplay in the series?
>>
yeah but shit level design
>>
>>336489572
The game has the best controls but worst gameplay in the series. Empty world, Bethesda style radiant quests, boring level design, brain-dead ai, pointless few guns, and few gadgets. The game requires you to Fulton thousands of enemies to develop new equipment which can take over a week in real time to develop.

Not to mention the story has Venom ignoring Pequod and MGSalanthropus being stolen by children. The length of the game is patted out by changing mission difficulty on select few missions.
>>
Its the best metal gear solid since 3. I didn't need the story wrap up, that happened in 4. Its basically a mgs sandbox.
>>
I won't say it's the best. It controls great but level design is awful. Also having to go to the helicopter and motherbase is a huge fucking waste of time.
>>
Why does everyone bitch about the level design? It really fit well with the approach from any direction plan they had. The small checkpoints you drive past were all pretty much the same but there was variety at the actual outposts and lots of ways to play them.
>>
>>336491245
There weren't enough big complex bases like Camp Omega. 90% of the missions take place in an outpost that consists of 2 tents and a watchtower. The only time it ever gets interesting is when it stops being an open world game and forces you into a linear section, like OKB-0 and the devil's house.
>>
File: 1445211213751.jpg (23 KB, 306x416) Image search: [Google]
1445211213751.jpg
23 KB, 306x416
>>336489572
Nope.

>Majority of Main ops only tangentially relate to the story and lacked a sense of progression, something that even Peace Walker had.
>Side Ops are complete shit. They're incredibly repetitive and unimaginative, they all basically boil down to "Make x number of x things disappear". Peace Walker had significantly better Side ops
>Boss battles are complete shit. The Skulls are practically encounters, leaving Sahelanthropus as the only proper boss battle.
>The Open World is completely unnecessary. It's a barren wasteland and there's no reason to travel within it when the helicopter exists. The game would have been better as a series of GZ-style levels with a small area around the level to keep the "freedom of infiltration" design.
>Severe lack of interior areas.
>No higher difficulty levels like in past games.
>D-Dog and Quiet are overpowered. Quiet can practically wipe out an entire area before you can even get there.
>>
>>336491245
You can't really approach from any direction. You were limited in missions to a few sometimes one helicopter drop point. From there you had to drive through linear canyons and pass through the same small outposts every time. The actual bases were small and empty lacking detail and interesting things to explore and find.The intricate level design allowed you to walk through the front door or take that obvious glowing crack on a cliff right beside the base. Amazing.
>>
>>336489572
Best gameplay but the level design isn't good enough to take advantage of it. The linear nature of MGS 3 and 4 and the small size of Ground Zeroes gave the team an expert handle on the flow of the environments so they are much more pleasant to play.
>>
>>336489860
I hate the excuse of "approach from any direction". This doesn't make the level design any better. It doesn't feel any different than what you did the first 20 times. Yeah previous MGS games were linear but the small alternate paths they gave you truly felt like you were approaching the situation differently. Every approach in MGSV feels too samey. It's just travel across this empty wasteland and enter one of the empty copy/paste huts. The best areas in MGSV were the ones that felt the most linear like going to the Devils House or getting Code Talker.
>>
>>336489572
But it doesn't. MGS2 and MGS3 have better level design. Also, half the sneaking in MGSV is just crawling to abuse the massively changed guard detection system where they can kind of see you but they haven't "spotted" you yet. The discrete MGS1-4 system was much better.
>>
>>336489572
Ground Zeroes had the best gameplay, it was TPP without bullshit attached.

TPP had way too much fluff in it. They could have ditched most of the intricacies of base building, and fulton absolutely butchered the gameplay fundamentally. Open world didn't work, and it's a pretty damning feature regardless -- extremely time consuming and difficult to put quality/care into every inch. There aren't any redeeming aspects of it. However, a series of large open levels each with their own series of missions, like camp omega had, would have been spectacular.
>>
Amazing gameplay, but shit level design.
>>
>>336493298
How can the gameplay be good if the level design is shit? You get that level design doesn't just mean "how it looks", right?
>>
>>336489804

Uhh yes? It's gone
>>
>>336493224
FOB would have been one of the greatest multiplayer modes of all time if you could actually fucking customize your base like advertised
>>
>>336489572

Best gameplay, yes, but you're fucking retarded if you think that the story and characters don't matter in a damned Metal Gear game. This isn't Doom.

So, gameplay yes, but the shitty twist, bad story structure, missing shit ending and missions, butchered characters and no Big Boss downfall really hurt the game for longtime fans.
>>
>>336490627
>pointless few guns
Is there any point in bothering with them?

I've pretty much stuck with the starting rifle upgraded to a scope, foregrip silencer because there's like... one other gun which can be silenced (maybe there's other's further in the tech tree but I haven't seen them).

Followed by a silenced rubber bullet Uzi, and whatever rocket launcher I feel like, if I'm fighting any skulls then I might use a heavy machine gun.

There is choice in weapon selection but it just seems for gimmicks.
>>
>>336493630

Not only that, but if you could really ramp up the defenses, and made the rewards high enough for them as well.

Like, they should have had it where you can research patrols or something to get better clearing patterns, or improve the vision of the guards, or add to the number of guards.

Also consider a research thing like "Back up team" or "Crash team" or something, where it's like Metal Gear Solid 2, if an alert happens, then each platform sends out a 5 man team in riot suits to back up the regular patrols.

And then for really high level ones, add in Walker Gears, Chopper support, ect.
>>
>>336490956
motherbase should have been completely removed. it was a nice idea on paper but they clearly didn't have time to do anything with it. they should have worked on 2 big bases on the map instead of that
>>
>>336494420
I'd pay full price for that game alone, no single player required
>>
I still haven't played this game.
>>
>>336489673
>knocking is gone
>I didn't play the game
>>
>>336494641

Yeah, but they decided to focus on the always shitty MGO multiplayer that's just a giant microtransaction hat simulator.

But then again, casuals can't even handle low level single deck FOBs, or even remotely good AI, which is why all the guards in the world don't fucking matter on FOBs since anyone can just roll to victory. But even as easy as it is, 95% of the people can't get past a level 5 FOB.
>>
They should have done the levels like the new hitman does. large and very focussed.
Open world sucks, the story is shit, the upgrades are gay, partners are OP.

It's weird that ground zeroes feels more like a game while tpp plays more like a tech demo.
>>
>>336489572
Hang onto your asses boys, it's GOOD ANALOGY TIME!!!
Ground zeroes is a sample of a 3 course meal with all the fixings (filet mignon, rice, veggies)
The Phantom Pain is a wheel barrow full of mashed potatoes
>>
Great mechanics, awful design.
>>
File: 1445675853733.jpg (368 KB, 838x959) Image search: [Google]
1445675853733.jpg
368 KB, 838x959
The biggest problem with MGSV is how recycled and padded out everything feels like
>levels full of wow it's fucking nothing (apart from grindy collectibles) with very few exceptions like Codetalker's mansion or OKB Zero
>outside main ops the world is empty and nothing is alive apart from rare jeep or truck, there's no special foes like Walker Gears or armored convoys
>padding main missions with zero story relevance other than Miller saying "hmmm, Cipher may surely be behind this, maybe"
>recycling levels in Chapter 2 and forcing you to play recycled levels or Side Ops before the next actual story mission or cutscene unlocks
>less side ops variety compared to Peace Walker
>more grindy in every way compared to Peace Walker; GMP is consumed and there's plenty of other resources as well
>soldier management and stats dumbed down from Peace Walker
>Outer Ops dumbed down from Peace Walker, Battle Gear being freely customizeable is likely cut content
>building, research and Outer Ops timers
>online is constructed so that you're pretty much forced to create a FOB (the game constantly nags you about this), and due to other players being able to invade even when you're not online you're forced to grind even more resources and recruits to replace lost ones
>literally the only things you can do at MB is shooting galleries or shower, zero customization or other interesting events (apart from a rare cutscene)
>worst boss fights in the series
I mean sure, the core gameplay mechanics are pretty decent, but MGSV is a prime example that slick controls are not the only thing that makes a game good. It's like Dark Souls 2 in a way; brought some good core gameplay mechanic changes but suffered from shit level and boss design. Combine that with shittastic story and the most obvious main twist of the century being paraded around like it was somehow deep or profound, and it's not hard to understand why people don't like MGSV very much.
>>
>>336495296

Open world frankly could have worked, but like a lot of things, it was just poorly thought out and implemented.

The upgrades aren't really all that bad except for the hilariously overpriced development and deployment costs. It's retarded in the late game how a single gun will cost more to research than an entire fucking deck on a FOB.

To make the open world work, the overall map size didn't need to be as large as it was, there was just too much empty space inbetween. Either they needed to shrink down the map, or they needed to put more outposts and proper patrols between bases.

Not just 2 guys up or down a road, because who the fuck does that, but like a proper squad or something. 9-13 guys moving around between outposts, convoys of a truck and 2-3 jeeps with .50 cals instead of just single trucks unprotected.

And even those small outposts shouldn't have been just 3-4 guys, those should have been at least a squad or two.

And the guards needed better AI, along with better vision and hearing.

On top of that, they should have had factions doing battle, you should have been able to see Russians get ambushed by the Mujaheddin, take cover, fire back, get a few guys killed or injured, and then watch them call in for backup and have a chopper come in and wipe the Mujaheddin, things like that, where you're in a living world in war.
>>
It's a shame, the gameplay was top notch. Literally flawless in my eyes.

Act 1 was 10/10. I was never having a better gaming experience in my life. Then Act 2 came and I thought "OH HERE WE GO". But it was fucking nothing. It was terrible. Insulting. I will never forgive Kojima/Konami for the unfinished game. No matter how much I loved it in my first 40 hours I can't appreciate due to how god forsakenly awful it ended up.
>>
>>336496404
>On top of that, they should have had factions doing battle, you should have been able to see Russians get ambushed by the Mujaheddin, take cover, fire back, get a few guys killed or injured, and then watch them call in for backup and have a chopper come in and wipe the Mujaheddin, things like that, where you're in a living world in war.
This would have been fantastic. MGS4 already sort of did this in its first two acts with two factions vying for supremacy, creating a very interesting gameplay mechanic where you could influence the battle to your advantage or even disguise yourself as one of the insurgents. MGSV's open world would have perfectly lent itself to a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky style faction system where they freely attack each other and try to wrestle control of certain key positions.
>>
>>336496992
Remember how Kojima said MGS4 would have an open world-esque design where factions would sporadically engage in combat, and Snake could intervene and gain the respect of the people he fought on behalf of? I was expecting things like that out of MGSV, instead we got a downgrade.
>>
File: captcha.png (391 KB, 401x599) Image search: [Google]
captcha.png
391 KB, 401x599
>>336496992
How did STALKER work? Did it have perpetual battle between factions where they would ACTUALLY take and hold positions? Not like some Far Cry fuckery where everything would revert as soon as you leave the area.

>captcha
th-thanks google
>>
>>336493592
Its still there you have to use Venom's robot arm.
>>
>>336489572
It was bad for two reasons:

1. The story was clearly meant to be 3 chapters but was condensed into 1.5. I say .5 as the last chapter had barely any original missions. This is clear from what Konami has said and the designs.

2. The open world is desolate and not spectacular or special. There is nothing really secret. It is rather pointless.
>>
>>336489673
level design =/= mechanics
>>
>>336497338
Clear Sky had factions actively vying for control of different areas.

In theory, at least. In practice, the feature was so fucking bugged and broken that most mods straight up remove the mechanic. The devs dropped it for the sequel, which instead has a more toned down version where each faction has a set base, with smaller patrols exchanging gunfire occasionally.

Even then, it helps add a sense of life to the world. Something which MGSV severely lacked.
>>
>>336497338
Clear Sky had an open world map with factions from both sides periodically spawning new squads, who would then be given objectives like to reinforce a certain key position or attack enemy key position. This also took place even if the player wasn't anywhere near, and you could actually track the squads' progress on your PDA's world map and join or ignore them if you liked.

When you joined a faction you could see your own and enemy faction's current strength and which key positions they were holding, and in order to capture further key positions you first had to capture the ones close to your faction's base. IIRC, sometimes your faction would send you a radio message telling about friendlies in nearby area being in trouble, which then became an optional side quest, and this was because there was an actual squad the strategic AI had sent there at some point, they did not just poof out of nowhere.

However it wasn't a perfect system since some factions (like Bandits) were buggy, and you couldn't actually influence yourself when your faction spawned new units and which areas they were going to reinforce. Sometimes you ended up in cases where you may have taken a key position all by yourself, and had to just wait for the game's strategic AI to spawn a squad to actually take hold of the position. One bigger issue was that the faction system was almost completely irrelevant to main plot, and that even if you took the enemy faction's main base they would just spawn new units and retake it sooner or later (though you still got rewarded for "winning" the war). However in all cases the units always spawned from their main base meaning they didn't just suddenly poof out from nowhere.

In short; great ideas, but wonky execution. The first and third game, while they also had some factions you could join or help, didn't use a similar faction war system and concentrated more on just quests and exploration.
>>
>>336497948
I still wonder how the 3 chapter structure would've worked.

I mean, the main villain is killed off 1/3rd through the game if that's the case.
Chapter 2 felt like the second half of season 2 of Twin Peaks, where the main mystery had been solved and all there was left was subplots.
>>
>>336497948
>The story was clearly meant to be 3 chapters

Ive never seen any proof of this
>>
>there's not much to see in war torn afghanistan, lots of sand

>THE WORLD IS EMPTY WHY IS THERE NOTHING TO SEE???
>>
>>336498868
>I mean, the main villain is killed off 1/3rd through the game if that's the case.
>>336498873
The game was about Big Boss fall - Skull face was only the catalyst to it.

Race would have gone into more detail of Les Enfants Terrible/Liquid.

And it would have culminate full circle.

>>336499034
>Defending it.
Then why have an open world? They could have at least had better more varied side missions or actual things to do in the war torned world.

What about Red Dead - random stranger encounters and the like.

How come you see no resistance fighters except in missions?
>>
>>336491603
>The Skulls are practically encounters
Funny, I'm pretty sure they were at first designed to be random encounters.
>>
>>336498868
>skullface is the main villain

Good meme
>>
>>336499191
That's all just opinion though, if Mission 51 had been finished it would have tied up every loose end in the story, and led into MGS1.

No one has any proof that there was supposed to be a chapter 3, it's all just personal feelings of "We didn't get to see Big Boss become evil like I imagined"
>>
>>336489860
linear =/= bad

In MGSV you have to do the same 3 missions all over again in different but random locations.
Meanwhile in older MGS tittles you could do different sorts of objectives in areas dedicated for them. And if you want to fill more hours with them, then you can aim to replay them to get different ranks or ace the VR missions if available.
>>
>>336499191
>The game was about Big Boss fall - Skull face was only the catalyst to it.

I seem to remember the game being about the wacky sidequest of a random medical officer.

The game did fuckall with Big Boss. I'm not sure Chapter 3 would've had anything to do with him.
>>
>>336499340
Yes?

Are you implying differently?

Kid Liquid was pretty much a subplot, an uninteresting one at that.

The game did nothing interesting with the Liquid character. Eli was just Liquid but smaller.
>>
>>336499191
Still can't accept that your head canon will never be true huh? It's nobody's fault but your own for expecting things.
>>
>>336499351
It isn't all opinion.

The game no longer had the budget for it all. konami pulled the plug. Mission 51 did not tie up every loose end as - at the end of the mission some of the language parasites were kept by liquid.
>>
>>336499351
People have a hard time accepting that the game was simply badly written; they have to pin the blame on cut content.
>>
>>336499034

Do you think the Soviets just went on 2 man patrols and did nothing all day?

Do you think the Mujahadeen just sat in saves all of 1984?

There should have been a faction system where they'd fight for control of areas in both Africa and Afghanistan.

And you should have been able to take jobs from all sides. You should have been able to do missions for the Soviets just as easily as the Mujahadeen for whatever reasons you'd want, like how in Armored Core you could do missions for Chrome or Murakumo, you weren't tied to one side, espeically with respect to Kaz's whole speech about taking wetwork with no greater good or just cause in mind, meaning Diamond Dogs should have been just as willing to work with the Soviets as with the Afghans, whoever pays them more.
>>
>>336499894
Your long winded responses and inability to accept that the story in your head isn't the story in the game, makes me think you are on the spectrum.
>>
>>336499351
>if Mission 51 had been finished it would have tied up every loose end in the story, and led into MGS1.

Not really, it wouldn't have tied up how Big Boss got back into the CIA's good graces and into FOXHOUND, especially with Zero still running around.

It wouldn't have explained why Ocelot is nowhere to be found in MG1 if he's sticking with Big Boss.

>>336499351
>No one has any proof that there was supposed to be a chapter 3

Lol, yeah, except for the title card "Chapter 3: Peace" and the mission 51 cutscenes.
>>
>>336499629
>Still can't accept that your head canon will never be true huh? It's nobody's fault but your own for expecting things.
It has nothing to do with head canon. And i love how that is the only defense you can raise.

My main two points still stand - the story was meant to be longer. It left too many plot strands. Chapter 2 was messy and was clearly unfinished so they bundled in harder difficulty missions.

And the world was too barren of extra content.

How can you honestly dispute these things? I enjoyed the game. But from a critical stand point it had issues. Enjoyment =/= criticism are different things.
>>
>>336500105
Did you even read what he wrote?

He's just saying that the open world was empty and boring and that "B-BUT IT'S IN A DESERT!" doesn't excuse that.

Also, that isn't longwinded at all, you just might have ADHD.
>>
>>336500105

It's not the story in my head, it's the story already fucking told through the rest of the damned games, namely MG1.

Just because that's the story given, doesn't mean that was the story promised or expected.

That'd be like everyone going to see Civil War, except all the fight scenes are just in flashback, and the other 90% of the movie is about Iron Man and Captain America chilling out on a beach.
>>
>>336500239
Scroll up and look at his walls of text. This is autism. He just keeps repeating that it wasn't finished.
>>
If the game had a hard mode, I'd agree.

Otherwise, the game gives you a massive arsenal but rarely gives you a challenge. You could skip so much R&D and equipment gains and still school the AI left and right.
>>
>just wanted some batshit villains
>silly villain gimmicks, silly villain montages about war
>instead we go the generic skulls
>>
>>336500373
Honestly, the game clearly wasn't finished. Chapter 2 felt rushed as fuck and Mission 51 is obviously missing.

Still, even if the game had been properly finished, it still wouldn't have fixed the fact that the game is plain badly written.

Chapter 1 feels finished, and that still has shit writing.
>>
Why does everyone forget that ground zeroes is literally chapter 1?
>>
>>336489572
The open world is potentially fun as fuck. Too bad they fucked it up by not including an OSP mode with better random missions.
>>
>>336489572
>butthurt over the Venom Snake twist and the cutscenes arent 20 hours long?

Yeah sounds about right, fuck that game.
>>
File: snake to skull face.jpg (636 KB, 1266x3983) Image search: [Google]
snake to skull face.jpg
636 KB, 1266x3983
>>336499442
I think Kojima wrote himself into a corner or just conveniently forgot what he was supposed to do in the first place. The trailers and first chapter all had a big "revenge hurts the perpetrator more than the target" thing going on, but at some point Kojima decided that delivering a "thank you for playing this series :D" message was more important, thus making both Venom and Big Boss into dindunuffin saints. Or maybe his team did actually run out of budget and had to cut corners very hard.

I still have a hard time believing the same person wrote MGS2.
>Raiden
>comparisons to Solid Snake and Snake fans, but still his own character
>lots of character faults and growth as a person
>game makes a huge point about how Raiden isn't just a shoddy version of Solid Snake, but his own person
>switcheroo twist revealed at the start of the game because the audience isn't fucking stupid

>Big Medic
>blank slate Big Boss player self insert with no characterization or previous background (apart from "best of MSF" nod towards the player)
>saint who does no wrong ever, everyone sucks his dick from the beginning to end
>getting brainwashed by both of the series' main antagonists is a-OK, remember to carry on that meme ;^)
>switcheroo is painfully obvious, but the reveal is dragged on until the very end of the game and revealed by making the player play through the entire tutorial again
>>
>>336500373
>Scroll up and look at his walls of text.

>3 lines
>wall of text.

Holy shit you really do have ADHD. Take your meds kid.
>>
>>336499621
>Eli was just Liquid but smaller
the bluntness of this actually made me laugh
>>
>>336491603
dont use D dog and quiet they are for shitters.

D horse was the best waifu
>>
File: t2thumbsup.gif (4 MB, 468x272) Image search: [Google]
t2thumbsup.gif
4 MB, 468x272
>>336501031
>but at some point Kojima decided that delivering a "thank you for playing this series :D" message was more important

Probably when Konami decided to start pulling the plug on games, and started taking the credits away from Kojima and other creators. Kojima saw the end coming, so he was thanking people because he knew his time was short and they probably weren't going to let him finish.
>>
still waiting for pirate
>>
>>336501031
The few actual character moments Venom had made no fucking sense and is the single worst character writing I have ever encountered in any medium ever.

>Quiet jumps into toxic chamber to retrieve necklace
>Venom tries to jump in after her to save her, Ocelot has to restrain him.
>Quiet crawls back up again.
>Venom carries her off to the medbay.
>His body language and actions in this scene clearly demonstrates that he's in love with this woman, or at least that he cares deeply for her and would die for her.
>The very next cutscene: Miller and Ocelot are brutally torturing Quiet
>Reasons is pretty much "lol I don't like her"
>Venom enters the room
>Miller pours salt water over her which apparently is lethal to her or something
>Given the previous scene had Venom go berserk when his waifu was threatened, you'd think he'd get upset about this.
>Nope, he just stands in the background doing nothing the whole scene.

>Mission 51
>Venom accidentally shoots Eli.
>Thinking he killed him, he screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
>Eli turns out to be alive.
>"Whatever, kid. Here, take this gun to kill yourself with. Enjoy the napalm"

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fuck Kojima was thinking when he wrote this shit. Even MGS4 at least had basic character consistency.
>>
>>336493469
Not him, but gameplay as in physics engine, actions the Main Character can do, plus the way they can use their gear, and enemy AI.

Level design amounts to architecture of the playable areas, variety and depth of unique things you can do in each area, and enemy placement.
>>
>>336501640
>spazzes out
>runs away from you
>disappears before your eyes
>can't take a fall
>repeatable press the button every 2 seconds
D-horse sucked. That's one good thing about there being more missions in africa.
>>
>>336495714
But Ground Zeroes was a very small dish, it left me hungry because it was a sample beore the restaurant opened, but once it was open, it turns out they only served low quality fast-food burgers.
>>
>>336502050
I can't believe people ate that shit up but complained about other shit that is completely irrelevant in comparison, Venom is not a blank slate, he is just a schizophrenic retard and I guess it makes sense since he was brainwashed, but I doubt that was their intention
>>
>>336499621
Well, Eli and Mantis would have been the villains of Chapter 3.

Mantis could brainwash the existing soldiers to work for them, while Eli could command and give them orders.
>>
>>336499034
>OMG an enemy shot me in the leg and I can still move. Why can't this game be realistic? If I get shot, I want to spend 2 in-game months recovering in a hospital

Video games are not supposed to be 100% realistic, you retard.
>>
>>336489572
Gameplay means nothing when you can't do anything with it.

Enjoy going to rescue soldiers and killing the same 3 groups of enemies forever during 3000 sideops. Even fucking main missions are like this too. And not even bosses are there to make it funnier.

>B-but it controls better than the others! "Gameplay" fags please leave. It's all level design in the end.
>>
>>336500116
>Zero still running around
Zero is already braindead by the time TPP takes place, listen to the truth tapes. Donald Anderson was running the show at that point and he is known to be retarded
>>
>>336489572
Did they get rid of any glitched guns in your inventory? I had more fun fucking around with a stun rocket launcher than I did playing the rest of the game.
>>
>>336490021
Ground Zeroes was the most fun, missions should have been more like that. Less open world but big levels with multiple things to do.
>>
>>336503161
>>336489572
Best shooting mechanics, movement, and such, absolutely.

Definitely fucking horribly executed in the context of the game.

Virtually 0 in door environments.
Every single enemy should be fultoned which removes them from the battle which destroys the concept of hiding bodies, and even trying to be stealthy.

It's fun, but it's shallow.
>>
>We have finally killed the "MGSV had good gameplay" meme.

About time.
>>
Its a 10/10 game for gameplay alone but everything else was unfinished and disappointing. It been said a million times but MGS V was a great game but a bad MGS game.
I didn't give a fuck about Venom or the fact he was really the medic it something that appeared in early games that anybody can be big boss or solid snake, genes don't matter shit.

>What pissed me off was the main missions were boring, some were great but most were go here, get this or kill this, watch this, escape.
>One boss battle with super snuffalufgs metal gear, that was actually pretty fun but they could have used some more bosses.
>Side ops were even more boring than the main missions.
>The fact that the second arc was mostly repeats of the first arc and the fact it ended with the introduction being recycled.
>Third act being cut, they should have just cut out liquid stealing metal gear.
>A huge landscape to explore! but with nothing in it, fair enough africa and afghan are empty deserts but they could have had soldiers or patrols or some sort of encounters.
>Vocal cord parasites being the new nanomachines that explain everything, I hated, fucking hated that they were responsible for the cobras powers, they did not need to be explained a band of freaks was better.
>Fucking switching 20 hours of cutscenes for 100 hours of boring cassette tapes

A great game but has nothing to do after you finish the main missions, you could do the harder version and the side ops but they are boring as shit.
It has zero replay value either and has nothing memorable about it. I think Kojima bit off more than he could chew and Konami going crazy probably did not help either I enjoyed ground zeros more.

Every so often I rewatch the trailers and wonder what could have been.
>>
File: hack.png (25 KB, 497x344) Image search: [Google]
hack.png
25 KB, 497x344
>>336502521
>Venom is not a blank slate
Venom is clearly a player self insert. I meant to say the original Venom, before he became Big Boss' copy is a blank slate. No history, no characterization (all things he says, thinks and does in the game is copy of Big Boss), no character development and the only time we see a glimpse of "real" Venom is when he realizes he's not actually Big Boss, and instead of it causing any sort of drama he just decides the that it's completely okay to pretend being someone else and having been brainwashed and fooled by everyone. It's completely opposite to MGS2's core message.

Most definitely because Kojima himself thought that fans like Big Boss so much they'd want to be the man himself.
>>
Holy shit, you fags are still crying about this!? LMAO
>>
>>336504051
Thank you Kojima.

Comparing me to a warmongering warlord is such a hopeful and kindhearted goodbye to me for having played through your games.
>>
>>336502050
That's just the surface of it.

I mean, I can't even begin to explain how retarded the whole necklace thing was.

But also, what the fuck happened to Ocelot? He's a sadist, confirmed enjoys torturing people, but is the guy to call it off or not want to do it every time, has to keep Kaz in check.

I have a hard time thinking if he even twirled a revolver in this game. It's like someone removed his soul.
>>
>>336503164

I know he pricked himself and the parasite wrecked his body, but I thought it was like ALS or something, His brain is still there, but he can't do anything with his body, which is why he could tell people how to set up the Patriot AIs.
>>
>>336504378
He didn't even have revolvers.
Ocelot is like a different person each game.
>>
File: 1437901479440.jpg (348 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1437901479440.jpg
348 KB, 900x900
>tfw it still hurts
>>
>>336504646
The final timeline specifically says that Zero disappears and is never seen or heard again until mgs4 right after he visited BB in the hospital, which is depicted in one of the tapes and it's like in 1979 or something around that time
>>
>>336504743

Ocelot seemed pretty consistent from MGS1 to 2, outside of the Liquid takeovers, but just Ocelot himself worked.

MGS3 just played up the goofiness to a degree I don't think worked out as well, and then in 4 he's merged with Liquid so his character factually is changed.
>>
File: SHITSFUCKED.png (212 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
SHITSFUCKED.png
212 KB, 500x513
>Ocelot was just a human encyclopedia
>Kaz spent the entire game going FUCK CYPHER FUCK THE WORLD with no development or character changes at all
>Venom faggot is a schizophrenic retard that doesn't talk
>Quiet is the stupidest character i've ever seen.
>MUH PARASITES are the fucking worst
>Skull face's reason behind fucking over Big Boss is never explained
>Skull face is turned into a living meme
>Skull face has the most anticlimatic death ever
>ONE BOSS BATTLE

I will never not be pissed by this game
>>
>>336505081
>The final timeline specifically says that Zero disappears and is never seen or heard again until mgs4 right after he visited BB in the hospital

Yeah, but Zero disappearing doesn't mean he's not working behind the scenes doing stuff, especially since he's like the ultimate puppet master at that point, making shit that's carried out for the next 30 years. It just means no one knows or has seen Zero, but people could still be getting orders and parts could still be put into motion from him without them knowing it's him.
>>
>>336505241
hahaha you sound like a parody of /v/, like seriously!! It's just a shit game. Let it go, fucking nerd!
>>
>>336489860

They could've literally built separated areas like camp omega and pour the "open world" resources into making your mother base an actual cool place to explore instead of a big pile of nothing but shitty challenges
>>
File: fmCSh8k[1].gif (465 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
fmCSh8k[1].gif
465 KB, 500x281
>>336504743
In 1 and 2 he was pretty similar with the exception of "possession" by Liquid. Mustache twirling villain at his finest.
3 made him a cocky greenhorn, but still with a very pronounced personality and I think no one could actually except the post-credits stinger.
In 4 he is technically a different character, but if we still consider Liquid as Ocelot he had many memorable scenes in this game as well, not to mention the awesome final battle.

V turned Ocelot into a boring radio support who never does anything interesting.
>>
File: 1448242418348.jpg (10 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1448242418348.jpg
10 KB, 295x378
>>336505729
>>
>>336505657
Tapes pretty much explain what happened to him: Skull Face poisoned him with memes and he turned into the catatonic living corpse you see in 4. Sigint and the AI took over after him and carried off their own misunderstood version of his ideals.

So it's pretty much confirmed that he did nothing.
>>
>>336494006
>no Big Boss downfall

you fucking what? big boss became a bad guy immediately after killed the boss, just because peace walker is le funneh with comedy tones it doesn't change the fact that you are playing as a psychopath warmonger that recruits fucking children
>>
File: mgsv.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
mgsv.gif
2 MB, 480x270
I miss our old MGSV hype threads, most fun I've had in years. Theories were 100x better than the story in the game.

It still hurts.
>>
>>336489673
Not only is knocking in the game, you could knock anywhere at any time, making it more versatile than it was in any of the previous games.
>>
>>336505241
At least it has a decent amount of amusing OC
>>
Didn't even make it through Chapter 2 and then sold it, god damn I'm still salty. Fuck grinding, fuck open world, just give me 20 or so hours of solid gameplay.
>>
>>336506325
>same exact story everyone already predicted except venom was gray "I want to lick your sweaty ballsack and drink your cum but no homo" fox
yeah those theories sure were amazing
>>
File: 20160409025348_1.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160409025348_1.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
>>336489572
The thing that bothers me the most is that I can boot up classic MGS games, even MGS2 and still have fun with them after finishing them several times.
When I boot up MGSV I just fuck around for five minutes, get depressed or bored and shut it off.
>>
Guys, what will happen now that kojima is out of konami? MGSV left me wanting for more, i want a linear game like MGS3 but with the gameplay of TPP, i can't live without having hopes for this game

help
>>
>>336507154
Someone else will remake MG1 with TPP's engine and gameplay and it will be better than anything Kojima has ever done.
>>
>>336507154
It's over.
MGSV wasn't supposed to bring closure, it was supposed to bridge a gap.
MGS4 is the closure.
>>
File: 1453996550139.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453996550139.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
>>336506246
>big boss became a bad guy immediately after killed the boss
Why do uneducated retards keep repeating this? All MGS3 does is show the underlying *why* of his eventual downfall, the main reason he cut ties with United States and started to think about an army without a nation.

MGSV was advertised to show the actual *how* of his downfall, what were the actual events that led a well meaning leader who was supplying to a demand, and a hero that saved the world many times (at least according to both 3, PW and V) into becoming the war fueling, child soldier using antagonist he is in the chronologically later games.

>it doesn't change the fact that you are playing as a psychopath warmonger that recruits fucking children
Except this doesn't happen in MGSV. Nothing in MGS3, PW or V showcases how Big Boss starts becoming a demon he is in MG1 and MG2. Nothing is even hinted, there is no subtlety, because all the games are busy fellating Big Boss' legacy and how great of a guy he is and how Big Boss' fans would like to become Big Boss, mmmmmm I sure love Kojima's thick spunk.

The only part in MGSV where Venom or Big Boss is even remotely a "demon" is all telling and not showing, or at best the "showing" part is putting a horn on his head because so deep and profound symbolism.
>>
>>336507442
There is no staff at konami that is working on actual videogames anymore.
It's over lads, let it go. They already killed contra, castlevania, suikoden, ganbare goemon and a lot of short lived franchises (zone of the enders, boktai), no reason metal gear, being the most expensive one at that, would keep going.
It had a good run
>>
>>336506246
>big boss became a bad guy immediately after killed the boss
>Fight CIA nuts
>save the world from WW3 again.
>save a child soldier and put him in a safer environment
>Save the English language and the Western World
>Save african child slave workers
>save prisoners
>somehow the bad guy.

Big Boss by MG1 and MG2 has pretty much become Sundowner, a far cry from what he is in PW and MGSV, and that's the transformation we're talking about.

Walter White decided to cook some meth, and kill in self defense isn't the same sort of person that you saw in Season 4 and 5 where he's poisoning children, killing allies and arranging the assassinations of witnesses

And it doesn't show how he goes from S1 White to S5 white, which is the sort of transformation Big Boss needed, because he never really becomes an unequivocal bad guy.
>>
>>336507642
They can always outsource. They can get teams with a hardon for MG into making remakes and spinoffs, there's no japanese franchise you can milk more easily than Metal Gear.
>>
File: 1425437133624.jpg (127 KB, 659x544) Image search: [Google]
1425437133624.jpg
127 KB, 659x544
Kojima should have just gone with a mixture of TPP gameplay, slightly more open world and same level progression of snake eater.

Imagine TPP gameplay with hunting in the forest and guard patrols and cliffs with the same type of story as the other games
>>
File: 54958048_p1_master1200.jpg (594 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
54958048_p1_master1200.jpg
594 KB, 1200x1200
>>336507807
Imagine TPP's story being a darker retread of PW's setup with more MGS2-tier mindfuckery going on. Chapter 2 could've been gold with almost anything, but they managed to fuck that up.

Once the remakes begin to happen TPP will make more sense, I guess.
>>
>>336506325
>Theories were 100x better than the story in the game.

I'd agree, and I really wish I was there for them, because I would love to hear the crazy idea that people had about what would happen here.
>>
>>336507757
Because it worked so well with silent hill and castlevania. Why would you even want them to outsource a mg game to a shovelware western dev?
Metal Gear fans were so obsessed with kojima that they completely ignored the company that was releasing the damn games, you all acted as if konami cutting ties with kojima and stopping production on future metal gears and silent hills was some unprecedented act of defiance never before seen in the history of videogames, when really most konami franchises have been killed outright, killed after they tried turning them into mobile games and failed or killed after they tried outsourcing them to a shovelware dev and failed. Kojima had to push personally for platinum games to produce MGR, otherwise that would have been in the hands of a shovelware western dev as well.
They are just going to hold onto the rights of all their shit to sell merchandise and they are going to sit on them and do nothing because this has been their strategy for the last 10 years
>>
>>336489572
The base gameplay is great. There's so many options to approach and tackle things.

But it has no bosses. It has bad level design for bases. There's no reason to ever use anything other than your chosen playstyle. You can complete every mission with just the starting Tranq gun and in fact it's recommended to do so if you're doing pure stealth. I also would have liked more radically changed camo so you have a reason to use something other than the sneaking suit.
>>
>>336507154
What sounds better to you?

MGS6: Mobile Ops or MGS6: Tactical Pachinko Action?
>>
File: modern video game industry.jpg (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
modern video game industry.jpg
17 KB, 200x200
>there will never be another game as good as mgs3
>>
>>336508294
That's why you don't give it to a western dev, you give it to a jap one, dumbass.
>>
>>336491603
>>The Open World is completely unnecessary. It's a barren wasteland and there's no reason to travel within it when the helicopter exists. The game would have been better as a series of GZ-style levels with a small area around the level to keep the "freedom of infiltration" design.
Dear god this. There's no point to all the empty space between all the bases and all the minor little outposts. I would have preferred more well designed bases to infiltrate that actually required you to use every tool and think about how you're going to approach it.
>>
MGS1>MGS2=MGS3>Rising=V>4>PW
>>
>>336508497
There's one example of that happening (MGR) and that only happened because Kojima (who was fired from the company) pushed for it.
Every other game they ever outsourced went to a shovelware western dev because they are cheaper and they literally do not give a shit about the quality of the game (as seen with the bug-ridden releases of the later silent hill games, downpour shipped as an unplayable mess and they just released it because they couldn't be arsed)
Anyone having any faith in konami whatsoever is delusional
>>
>>336507619
But isnt he already "Bad" at the bwginning/end of mgs pw? I mean the concept of msf was to earn money by fighting for different groups. At least kaz saw it as a service that they could sell. Kojima just sold the Protagonist and his friends as good guys cause they fought a maniac that wanted to launch a nuke. AS i understood it, fighting became the purpose rather the means to fullfill a purpose (i hope you can understand what i mean, cause english isnt my native language).
>>
>>336508591

Personally, I think the open world could have worked, but it'd have to be like 8-12 GZ sized areas only loosely connected with a outpost or two inbetween.

Just cut down on the empty space and make the density go up, less distance between outposts and bases.

Plus, they probably also needed to at least also rework the enemy AI, vision and hearing so that they aren't just completely blind and deaf, as well as just having more enemies and patrols in general.
>>
>>336509086

The real big switch for Big Boss would be going from simply fighting for and at the contract of other groups, to actually going out and starting conflicts for the purpose of causing that need.

It goes from just being a bunch of mercenaries for hire, which is questionable but few would say evil, to actually going full on Sundowner, where you're assassinating national leaders to cause wars you can fight in, or false flagging and bombing an airport, ect.

There should have been a switch where Big Boss is no longer just a passive role as a merc, but he needed to do something like "No Russian." for the sole purpose of causing a war he could profit off of, and use to set up a conflict down the line again.
>>
File: 1436229327639[1].jpg (59 KB, 609x607) Image search: [Google]
1436229327639[1].jpg
59 KB, 609x607
>>336507619
>MGSV was advertised to show the actual *how* of his downfall

No you fucking faggot, it just had a phrase in a trailer that said "men becoming demons" referring to the demon mechanic that gives you that crap bloody state and demonic horn when you kill tons of people, a thing that has been around since mgs2 with the ZzZ pistol, they just implemented a more pronounced way to show you the consequences of being a killer instead of a sneaky expert, Metal Gear games were always anti-war with peculiar features like these, but of course retarded fans like you read too much into it and expected LE EBIN DOWNFALL of a character that fell 2 games ago, or did you fucking miss his dialogue in peace walker, when he decided to turn his back literally to the boss herself and fucking started the god damn path that would've led him to zanzibarland, it was so fucking literal that I cannot believe you fucks couldn't get it, almost as if Kojima had to put glowsticks up your ass to make you notice it.

Phantom Pain closes all gaps, gives a reason for the absurd death of big boss in MG1 and his comeback and most importantly explains the final dialogue of Big Boss in regards to Zero in MGS4 with the Truth tapes, granted they are unelegant and downright jarring but they are explanations nonetheless, if you watch the ending of MGS4 after MGS5 Truth Tapes what he says makes much more sense, it's the end, you didn't like it? Tough shit it banked millions and Kojima has moved on.
>>
>>336507619
>Nothing is even hinted, there is no subtlety, because all the games are busy fellating Big Boss' legacy and how great of a guy he is and how Big Boss' fans would like to become Big Boss

Holy shit you are actually brainded, YOU ARE PLAYING AS HIM, OF COURSE YOU SEE IT IN A GOOD LIGHT, THA'TS THE POINT. Where the fuck have you ever seen a psychopath know he was doing the wrong thing? FUCKING NEVER.

>no hints

REALLY NIGGER? STEALING OTHER SOLDIERS SINCE PORTABLE OPS, RECRUITING PAZ AND CHICO LIKE IT'S NOTHING, HAVING A FUCKING NUKE IN THE BASEMENT FOR "MUH DETERRENCE", KILLING AND PILLAGING JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MONEY OF THE HIGHEST BIDDER, THAT'S A HERO TO YOU??! HOLY FUCK SEEK HELP NIGGA.
>>
>>336509738
>E EBIN DOWNFALL of a character that fell 2 games ago

Lol, because saving the world from nuclear war twice and doing straight up humanitarian aid missiosn is surely what you'd consider a 'fall'.

That's like saying Batman had a "fall" in character when he started beating up badguys because he did it as a vigilante.
>>
>>336507737
>>save the world from WW3 again.

he just stumbled on it, it wasn't his main mission at all

>>save a child soldier and put him in a safer environment

Yeah a base full of brainwashed soldiers, semi-nude J-pop idol wannabes and a Nuke launching tank in the basement, welcome home, want some cookies?

>Save the English language and the Western World
>Save african child slave workers
>save prisoners

These 3 points are Venom, not Big Boss, they act completely differently until Venom is informed and smirks like an asshole to the mirror realizing he can fuck shit up, and he eventually WILL fuck shit up since you see his demonic form in the future in Outer Heaven, he was literally a pretty cool guy that had a fetish for Big Boss too high that made him go ballistic like all fanatics do.
>>
Is there a reason why open world games simply can not have good boss battles? I blame controls. MGS V has arguably the best controls of any MGS game and its tough to make a battle of attrition when you can circle strafe so easily.
>>
>>336509738
>Phantom Pain closes all gaps

Except for Psycho Mantis, Eli and Sally running off, how big boss got back into government work with the CIA and Foxhound, why Ocelot was nowhere to be found by MG1, sure.
>>
>>336510359

The only thing remotely humanitarian is the naming of the company you mong. After escaping the CIA through Colombian government they became a fucking military nation full of autists with the hots for BB.
>>
>>336500116
>Not really, it wouldn't have tied up how Big Boss got back into the CIA's good graces and into FOXHOUND, especially with Zero still running around.

This still bugs me.

Zero literally thought up and ordered Big Boss's phantom. Then later albeit with zero being comatose they let big boss back into foxhound. no one asks what happen to the phantom? Other people including Anderson know about venom.

"Someone's building an autonomous private army like Snake did twice before but it can't be him because he's here running foxhound and we know he can't be in two places at once."
>>
>>336510531

I said closed all gaps as in bridged the series to make a full circle, not as in filled all plotholes, you seriously think Kojima planned 27 years of story? You know jackshit about writing son.
>>
>>336510436

Chico was safer at MB than he was running around in Nicaraguan with patrols ready to capture/kill him.

And it's not like Big Boss knew Paz was a Cipher agent, he didn't knowingly place Chico in a more dangerous environment. He took Chico from an area he was likely to be killed, to a place as far as he was concerned, he was unlikely to be killed.
>>
>>336510759
>I said closed all gaps as in bridged the series to make a full circle

When you say closed all gaps, do you mean not really, because there still is a fucking gap you could drive a fucking death star through between the end of MGSV and MG1, in fact, it was fucking bigger now than it was before PW.
>>
>>336508278
it was all about Quiet having a dick. litterally nothing else of value
>>
>>336508278
Quiet having a dick and being Chico
Ocelot and Miller being the same person
Venom being Solidus or Gray Fox, neither of whom were even mentioned in the game, another reason why it's shit.
>>
>My computer meets the specs for GZ
>Putting all the settings on Extra High makes it drop frames when moving
Standing still it stays 60. Putting it at just high makes it run perfectly though. Anyone know why?
>>
File: farewell sausage.jpg (422 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
farewell sausage.jpg
422 KB, 2500x1500
>>336511757
>Quiet having a dick and being Chico

>farewell sausage

Pretty sure even if this played out, Quiet wouldn't have a dick.
>>
>>336511006
Like what you dumb fuck cock sucker?
>>
>>336506325
The theories were all bat shit insane.
You only think they would've been better you thought of them so your attached to them.

>theories about Big Boss not being Big Boss, The Man on Fire being Volgin, Eli being Liquid
>were true and everyone complained that they were stupid and how they figured them out years in advance
>"but where's all the other stupid character reveals that I predicted years in advance!! ;_;"
>>
Help a nigga out, I haven't played this game

What's so different between 'chapter 1' and 'chapter 2'? Are they like two different games?
>>
>>336510493
MGSV is filled with brilliant bits and pieces that fail to incorporate into big picture. Just writing this because I'm in bed listening to soundtrack and thinking about all those stunning scenes and emotions and how bad was the whole piece. Also they cut this amazing cutscene in op, too.
>>
>>336512761
The missions in chapter 2 (aside from two) don't progress the story. Story events just happen whenever you go to motherbase or complete a special side op.
>>
>>336489572
4 gave you better controls, yet less freedom to practice them on. There are a few solid(EHEHEH) acts, TPP obviously has more space for practice.
If you think about it well, both games are sides of a foul coin.
>>
>>336489804
It was replaced with the arm thing, which is exactly the same mechanic.
>>
https://youtu.be/ny5ri5SrDKQ
This brought me to tears.
>>
File: 345434.jpg (140 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
345434.jpg
140 KB, 800x600
>>336489572
>that this has the best gameplay in the series

Every single fucking time. No, you fucking idiot.

>no bosses other than a shitty bulletsponge at the end
>NO BOSSES IN A FUCKING METAL GEAR GAME
>literally every single base building mechanic worse than it was in Peace Walker, Side Ops are repetitive, there's no Metal Gear building, Outer Ops are literally unfinished
>garbage fucking level design achieved by just peppering blind and deaf guards (or resource containers) in outposts, worst one in the series
>lowest amounts of gadgets
>no /k/ stuff like in 4 or Peace Walker
>most R&D shit is useless since you only use the highest upgraded weapon with the best shit attached, not to mention only non-lethal being viable
>rather easy not counting insufferable extreme missions
>cancerous "walk and listen to characters talk" segments
>no codec, cassette tapes worse than they were in Peace Walker, especially in variety and how many characters are in them
>Mother Base is empty and largely useless

And that's only the mechanics off the top of my head, don't even fucking get me started on the story. V is fucking trash and hate nearly everything about it.
>>
sticky cover was awful and the limited inventory was just annoying due to the availability of airdrops.

also vehicles controlled like dogshit
>>
>>336510687
THIS is the final link, that ends with Big Boss with a Patriot hugging his "son".
>>
>>336489572
I didn't mind the Venom Snake twist because EVERYONE treated you like you were Big Boss.

in terms of player character ranking:
MGS 3 Big Boss
MGS 2 Snake
MGR Raiden
MGS 1 Snake
MGS 4 Snake
PW Big Boss
MGA 2 Snake
MGA Snake
MGS 2 Raiden
>>
>>336513632
in terms of player character ranking:
MGS 3 Big Boss
MGS 2 Snake
MGR Raiden
MGS 1 Snake
MGS 4 Snake
PW Big Boss
Venom Snake
MGA 2 Snake
MGA Snake
MGS 2 Raiden

forgot Venom
>>
>>336489572
>can we agree that this has the best gameplay in the series?
If you prioritize a big sandbox to fuck around in and are willing to overlook some of the more dull aspects of the game, sure. Otherwise fuck no. The game is every bit as poorly balanced as it's concept would suggest, and the level design does nothing to make up for it even in a superficial/aesthetic sense.

"Wow he moves so fluid!" isn't the totality of gameplay.
>>
File: 1461421672752.jpg (227 KB, 784x687) Image search: [Google]
1461421672752.jpg
227 KB, 784x687
>>336513632
>3 BB the best
>2 Raiden the worst
>MGR Raiden good
>>
>>336513792
That's not a very flattering picture of D-horse
>>
>>336512761
Chapter 1 constantly insults your intelligence in various ways (or just straight up shits down your throat if you were invested in the story from the past games) and Chapter 2 is basically just a few previous missions to re-play, a forced "sad" walking sequence where you shoot NPCs in the head, and a tutorial mission with an extra two cutscenes at the end.

That's more or less all you need to know.

Thought that finding Zadornov seven times in Peace Walker was retarded? Wait till you play TPP.
>>
The voice acting was so shitty in this game, sometimes I cant even tell if its ocelot or snake talking
Why did Hayter have to leave
>>
File: 1462244990971.jpg (69 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
1462244990971.jpg
69 KB, 700x933
>>336513874
Is this better?
>>
>>336514002
oh hey, it's that naked lady who was like a ruthless spy and then decided to not be one because she wanted main hero's dick

such an interesting character
>>
>>336514002
not that anon but something about Quiet that I find her much uglier than real life Joost who I think is really cute.
Is it uncanny valley?
>>
>>336509738
>gives a reason for the absurd death of big boss in MG1 and his comeback
People should really stop spouting this bullshit. Big Boss's "death" in MG1 was always ambiguous. MG2 came along and established his survival and tossed a reference to Snatcher as an explanation. Venom Snake's existence creates more questions than answers. He was an awful idea.
>>
I'm fully convinced there was supposed to be a true MGS5 sequel that followed the actual Big Boss's story after V (or during). Kojima never actually said it was MGS5, and always referred to it as V. Plus, as /v/ likes to point out, we never saw the events that were supposed to occur around this time period in the MGS canon.

I think Kojima intentionally left the fans wanting more (although it's obvious that it was heavily cut anyway) to build hype for the true MGS5. Unfortunately, all this bullshit with Konami happened and now we'll never see it. The true 'phantom pain'...
>>
>>336513792
>>2 Raiden the worst

he's shit
>>
>>336514163
This.

I wouldn't even say MG1 leaves any ambiguity, Big Boss simply survived the duel and moved on to form Zanzibar Land. V's shit is not only unneccessary but also shows that Kojima doesn't understand his own games.

Venom being played by Big Boss into dying is also another rehash, 1) of the Boss being duped into killing herself by the USA (so fucking poetic Kojima) and 2) of Big Boss sending Solid to die by giving him the mission to infiltrate Outer Heaven. Kojima essentially copied MG1 for no reason.
>>
>>336489572
It has the same problem that MGS4 did, in that you are required to crawl around everywhere.
>>
>>336514090
Uh, actually it's dutch born model Stefanie Joosten. She only portrayed the character 'Sniper "Quiet"' in the game.

And at least "that naked lady" WAS a character. Seriously, this game had the weakest cast.
>>
>>336514453
>Venom being played by Big Boss into dying
I'm not really convinced this is the case. There's no real reason to think anything changed about MG1 aside from Venom being the "Big Boss" Snake encountered. Big Boss definitely manipulated Venom, but if he wanted Venom out of the way he chose a bizarre way of going about it.
>>
>>336513358
>this was supposed to be the kojima's magnum opus, the sendoff for one of gaming's most beloved franchises
>this was the result
The only games I've preordered were Smash Bros Brawl and MGSV. I have only myself to blame.
>>
>>336514680
>And at least "that naked lady" WAS a character.
On paper, I guess.
>>
>>336508591
>Huge bases
>multiple ways to enter (air-duct, aqueduct, from air drop, front door, as a package on a truck, disguised as an enemy soldier, etc)
>you can make diversions but that would put people on alert and increase security (whether using explosives or as enemies become more paranoid)
>if you're going to have huge empty space between bases, at least be able to use a codec (or the radio) to have conversations with different team members (if they only added any)
>or, make it so that he has to seek shelter, or hunt, or do something to pass the time

When confronted with the big open world, for some reason I just wanted it to be just like MGS3, where there was a concrete narrative to everything you were doing, and actual cutscenes
>>
>>336489572
MGSV has the best core gameplay yes, but from the way it was designed, they forgot to add enough meaningful content for it and as a result, you spend hours upon hours extracting people and cargo in these boring landscapes and not a whole lot else. They needed more areas like OKB-Zero and Camp Omega. There should have been at least 6 or 7 places like those two, with large story developments at each one to scratch the cutscene itch.
>>
>>336510759
>moving goalposts

MGSV was shit, and explained practically nothing. Deal with it.
>>
>>336514685
He didn't want Venom out of the way, he just used him as a last ditch attempt to try and save the clusterfuck that was Outer Heaven. It didn't work, but BB probably knew that even if Solid wins, he'll at least have the advantage of the whole world thinking he died.

It's still unnecessary as fuck and creates more problems than it answers. I've also seen people make the argument that Big Boss being both the leader of OH and FOXHOUND didn't make sense, where all he had to do was just use proxies and tell people to do things for him.

There was never any problem here to begin with, then again, there's no real fucking reason to expect smart writing decisions from a man who wrote the entirety of V's chapter 1. That wolbachia shit is downright fucking insulting, so much so that it may have been on purpose.
>>
>>336514794
She was the only thing in the game that was better in execution than on paper. The plot was just too weak to use her to the fullest.
>>
>>336515275
>that was better in execution than on paper
I don't think there was anything on paper regarding Quiet. She's a shallow character that's cold at first and then swallows Venom's dick from the point you spare her.

She doesn't say anything interesting, doesn't do anything interesting, her arc is literally what's written above in my post. She then gets herself captured by the Soviets only to break out with no help after Venom gets close and die during one of the most cringeworthy moments ever written in a Metal Gear game.

Please tell me what's so interesting about a mute sniper that does fuck all throughout the story.
>>
>>336515532
>She doesn't say anything interesting
stopped reading there
>>
>>336515125
Yeah, but my point was that even if he felt Venom was disposable he didn't exactly want Venom to die. A lot of people here seem to think that Venom and Big Boss were in opposition, but the timeline makes it clear that's not the case.
>>
The game IS finished. Its just genius Kojima again, made the feel about unfinished game, so you forever will be butthurt about ending that does not exist, just like the PHANTOM PAIN
>>
>>336512761
>What's so different between 'chapter 1' and 'chapter 2'?

Nothing.

Chapter 2 is mostly just Chapter 1 missions with some higher difficulty. There's like 5 unique missions in Chapter 2.
>>
File: 1444966233298.jpg (113 KB, 750x926) Image search: [Google]
1444966233298.jpg
113 KB, 750x926
>>336489572
I prefer this game.
>>
>>336490021
>TPP with less features and clunkier
No.
>>
>>336517540
Bane posting was really the only good meme to come out of /tv/
>>
>>336515275
>She was the only thing in the game that was better in execution than on paper.

Maybe if you were a 10 year old getting a boner for the first time.

Quiet was one of the shittiest things in the game.
>>
>9 months later
>Kojimadrones still rolling around in a puddle of their own tears
This is why MGSV will always be my GOTY 2015.
It finally destroyed the worst fanbase to ever grace /v/

Kojima has, and will always be, the Zack Snyder of videogames.
>>
File: 1462317757944.jpg (420 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1462317757944.jpg
420 KB, 1280x800
>>336517767
As other /tv/ memes wither and die, Baneposting will live on.
>>
>>336489572

Not really. A lot of MGS's fun was in the set design. the guard AI isn't good either.
>>
>>336517950

Don't you need to jerk off on camera again Phil?
>>
>>336518035
MGS has always been a clunky piece of shit.
>>
Great gameplay, maybe best of the series. I would be okay with that.

Worst narrative. I'm a storyfag. So the overall experience was kinda meh.

Witcher 3 had what I wanted in a game.
>>
>>336517852
>I can't look past a character's sexuality
>I'm insecure about my intelligence
>I take video games very seriously
>I'm underage
Pick all four.

Ocelot was the shittiest character and collecting animals was the shittiest thing.
>>
>>336518159
Both are pure garbage.
The gameplay in TW3 is just bad, and I'm still baffled such a generic story gets any sort of praise.
>>
>>336517950
>It finally destroyed the worst fanbase to ever grace /v/

no. They still think 2 is great when it's really shit. Why else would Kojima shit on it with 4?
>>
>>336518159
>he's a storyfag
>he likes any videogame story
No, you are not.
If you wanted a decent story, you would read a book.
Not a single game has a story better than your average straight-to-DVD Steven Seagal action movie.
>>
>>336518239
Generic but still fun. I read a lot, so yes. I could predict every story point before it happened.

Gameplay wasn't bad at all. Combat was just okay. Customization of skills and gear was pretty good. Open world actually had shit in it. The side card game... omg. I wish that was its own game I could play on my computer.
>>
>>336518452
>omg
Found the Redditor.
>>
File: 1458778718962.jpg (298 KB, 996x851) Image search: [Google]
1458778718962.jpg
298 KB, 996x851
>>336518349
>reading a book for the story
>>
>>336518349
I do read. And write. And consume all kinds of different media. I'd have to disagree with you on the quality of any SINGLE game ever made not being better than a Seagal flick.

You're kind of a dummy, or at least a tried hard little bitch if you really think that.
>>
>>336518606
At least there are books with good stories.
There are no videogames with good stories.
The fact that a talentless hack like Hideo Kojima is hailed for his storytelling proves it.
>>
>>336518651
Mention one game that you think has a better story than your Steven Seagal movies and i'll carefully explain to you why you are wrong.
>>
I thought we already agreed the gameplay was the only redeeming quality
>>
>>336518502
Found the autistic kid.
>>
>>336518785
OMFG THIS!!!
>>
>>336518785
Found the autistic redditor
>>
>>336518749
Last of Us.

Good luck.
>>
It was the most fun I had with a metal gear game
>driving around afghanistan and capturing outposts while listening to comfy 80's tunes
>>
>>336518876
The generic zombie story with the person that somehow is inmune and the ones who love her don't want her to get chopped up in pieces to save the world?
Yeah, it's so good.
>>
>>336518838
Found the autistic kid who doesn't realize he's autistic, so makes fun of other special needs children, but everyone talks shit about him because he's such a sperglord.
>>
>>336518238

Ocelot as soulless as he was, was still better than Quiet.

What does Quiet have? What does she bring to the table.

Her character is retarded, we never got a chance to see how truly stupid she was in the trailers with the whole necklace debacle.

She can't talk, fine, but she couldn't figure out how to fucking write? Her idea of 'warning' people is to try to cut someone else's throat out?

Her overall design is shit, she's just a fucking noodle in ripped stockings, bikini and olive drab straps. At least if you'd kept her with the XOF uniform you could think that she'd actually have some muscle and toughness to her.

The whole "parasite skin" thing is laughable and doesn't work at all, and it's clear it's just an excuse to have her running around like a cheap hooker.

Any way you look at it, Quiet is shit, outside of the "I'm 10 and I'm discovering cleavage for the first time."

In which case, 4chan is an 18+ website, and you should leave.
>>
>>336518932
That wasn't careful. Or convincing.

The character drama in that game was really good. The zombie catalyst is hardly a story point. It's a reason to watch these people interact in a hopeless situation.

And even if you thought it was just okay. Still better than a Seagall movie.

Are you ready to concede, or restructure your argument?
>>
>>336518349
Literally the only reason to play an MGS game is the story, are you fucking retarded? It's not other people's fault that your illiterate ass can't tell a good story from a bad one.
>>
>>336519020
I like her because she tried to kill me, but then wanted my dick. Also she had pretty eyes, and nice tits. And showered with me for no reason.

Fan service is okay with me. Though I won't defend her value as a character.
>>
>>336519093
>Literally the only reason to play an MGS game is the story
No.
>>
>>336518502
>>336518785
>>336518838
>>336518963
You guys may be able to find other posters, but can you see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch
>>
>>336519020
Holy shit, you expect me to read all that?

>she couldn't figure out how to fucking write
I'll just chalk it up to "I wasn't paying attention."
>>
>>336518749

Last of Us.
Mass Effect
The Walking Dead.
Portal
Gone Home
>>
File: gfs_47405_2_4.jpg (9 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gfs_47405_2_4.jpg
9 KB, 1024x768
>>336518749
Vagrant Story
>>
>>336489673
but Afghanistan is actually barren
>>
>>336519481
>Holy shit, you expect me to read all that?

Do they not teach reading and writing anymore in school? What grade or school are you in where a paragraph and a half is considered some monumental task?

Are you retarded, did they not bother trying? Did your parents give up on you?
>>
>>336519093
Nah, gameplay is pretty awesome
>>
>>336519349
How stupid are you? Seriously, do people like you act thick for the sake of it? Sure as hell noone bought MGS1 just for the gameplay and graphics.
>>
File: 8_012.png (173 KB, 591x317) Image search: [Google]
8_012.png
173 KB, 591x317
>play the last mission where you find out the twist
>get hyped, THE REAL MGSV STARTS HERE
>it ends
>>
>>336519831
I appreciated Metal Gear's thematic quirks and presentation, but the core of its appeal for me has always been navigating, sneaking, and boss fights. This is especially true of a game like Ghost Babel or Substance that include a lot of side content, or MG2 which is fairly bare bones in terms of story compared to the games after it. Thanks for proving yourself to be a hyperbolic dullard, though.
>>
>>336510853
Chico died because he was stupid, nothing more, nothing less.

I know he was desperate about Paz' situation, but all he needed to do was to wait, because BB contacted Amanda anyways and told her a bit about Paz' situation. Not to mention that Chico always wanted to prove that he was fit to be a soldier, even if that put him in danger.
So he would have died or suffered a terrible accident at one point or another regardless of where he stayed.
>>
>>336519831
>Sure as hell noone bought MGS1 just for the gameplay and graphics.

Actually, I did. I played the demo that they sold with Pizza Hut, just enjoyed the game itself and sneaking around, and went out and bought it.
>>
Why does everyone say the level design was shit? The overall open world was bland, yes, but MGSV had some great set pieces that would've been great individual MGSV levels.
>>
>>336520334
They good stuff was few and far between, or poorly managed. The Oilfield, the Mansion, OKB Zero are dwarfed by the time spent in boring and uninvolving camps and outposts. Though even at its best TPP still has a lot of the same problems MGS3 introduced to the series over a decade ago.
>>
>>336494283

There really isn't much point imo. Just get the gunsmith and you're good to go. All camo is pointless when you can just skip time and infiltrate at night. Upgrades are a waste of resources.

Also faultoning and tranquing enemies gets old fast, headshots are so much more satisfying.

All the great gear you get at the end anyways and is more means for dicking around and going full OP commando.

The game is hard mode without silencer, even though CQC is OP as fuck, because late game all those armorered fucks are immune to everything but grenade launchers.

All followers that aren't D-horse are annoying as fuck. Quiet always kills soldiers I want to faulton and her humming gets tiring fast. D-Dog is just meh. D-walker is a shitty vehicle.
>>
>>336520162
>So he would have died or suffered a terrible accident at one point or another regardless of where he stayed.

Agreed, but that's not really Snake's fault anymore, that's Chico's. Snake didn't make Chico go look for Paz and get captured, he didn't make him do risky shit.
>>
>>336520162
He would have been fine if he stayed with Amanda.
>>
The gameplay was excellent, but it couldn't save the game unfortunately, it was crammed wall to wall with every modern gaming trope that really didn't have any place in MGS. Yeah, being able to extensively customize guns or develop platforms is cool and all, but I think Kojima really went too far in trying to reinvent the wheel and completely missed what fans of the series wanted with the features he provided in game. My biggest gripe is that it seemed like everything was designed with MGO in mind, rather than the single-player, which in an era of multiplayer, always online gaming, would have been refreshing if he actually focused more on the single-player aspect.
>>
>>336489572

Yeah, MGS V has the best gameplay and Fox Engine is a masterpiece; everything else sucks, though. I will admit that it's fun to curbstomp faggots who invade my FOB.
>>
It's like you faggots haven't even played 3

It even controls better than V, with quick reloading, a proper amount of items and weapons equippable, rolling, etc.
>>
>>336520813
You can't do much with D-horse and he's pretty stupid if you're trying to do something quick and efficient.
If you just want to reach a base quickly, D-Walker is better.
>>
>>336489572
It's not about gameplay or story, it's about repetitive and boring missions, where you revisit places you've already went to dozens of times.
>>
>>336512110
Probably draw distance
>>
File: 300.jpg (10 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
300.jpg
10 KB, 300x278
>No Mujaheddin fighting Soviets.
>Don't get to sneak through a battlefield as people die all around you.
>It's just barren desert with fucking boxes of minerals thrown around.
>>
>>336499334
That would have been pretty cool actually.
>>
>>336489572
Gameplay mechanics maybe. Gameplay in general no fuckin way.
>>
>>336514115
Quiet has a fucked up chin.
>>
File: laughing cyborgs.jpg (151 KB, 1061x558) Image search: [Google]
laughing cyborgs.jpg
151 KB, 1061x558
>>336521204
>It even controls better than V,
>>
>>336521270

You can't use rocket launcher from the d-walker. Or avoid getting stuck everywhere.
>>
File: images(9).jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images(9).jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Unfortunately, she monopolized hideo's time and efforts. Which is why the game is unfinished
>>
>>336522480
No, that's not it. Nothing wrong with her chin.

I think it's because Joost has longer, thicker hair.
>>
>>336502050
It's this kind of disjointed storytelling and character inconsistency that I hate the most about this game. Nothing is connected and as a result, nothing is built to. It's just things happening. Worse, there aren't even any consequences of these things happening. All of those cool scenes shown in the trailers seemed like they were created for that purpose alone.
>>
>>336520334

A lot of it was because of how those sections interacted with the open world.

In the previous games, if you got caught, you were much more boxed in, there was only a few routes for escape, a lot of the times, based upon the instance you were in.

If those areas were in MGS3, it'd be interesting, but in MGS5, if you get caught, you can just sprint to the middle of nowhere easily and they won't follow or pursue, and they can't keep up, so it's too easy to get out of trouble, and that drags down the level design.

It's part of why they should have had larger and more complex Camp Omega styled maps because if you get caught in the middle of that, there's no easy way to just sprint out of there with no problems.

Something like the Eastern Communications Post, Da Wailo, or the abandoned village, it's just entirely too easy to just run away with no problems,it's too viable a solution, you never are trapped.
>>
>>336522638
>using the rocket launcher
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.