[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So there are three kinds of giants now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: DARK SOULS™ III_20160504002233.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DARK SOULS™ III_20160504002233.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
So there are three kinds of giants now?
>>
I'm still not sure, his head peace is designed to look like the butt hole giants from DS2, but it was implied that they took that form after Vendrick took something from them. As for the giants in DS1 and the cathedral of the deep you never see their faces so they could Allene the same type of giant.
>>
>>336453112
Phoneposting is suffering
>>
>>336452473
Yhorm was just a big nigga
>>
>>336453112
Dunno, it looks like giants from DS1 have a very different anatomy compared to Yohohorm
>>
>>336453112
Looking at the dead giants after Pontiff, if you angle the camera right you can see that behind their masks their faces start to curve inwards into a hole like DaS2 giants. It just seems like giants in Lordran and Lothric covered their faces, likely because the old gods were creeped the fuck out by them, whereas the giants in 2 came direct from their homeland where they didn't have to wear burqas.
>>
>>336453995
Sauce
>>
>>336453995
Nah, you can see they all have faces. But they covered their faces for some reason that doesn't actually make sense. Something about offending people, which I doubt was actually the case. As someone said, DaS2 giants only have the anus face because Vendrick jacked those dudes. The giant with a face in DaS2 is just a mistake. They're probably the same race in the end.
>>
>>336452473
DS2 vaginafaces are not canon
>>
File: Capture.png (185 KB, 358x359) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
185 KB, 358x359
Wait but don't some breeds of humans (I think someone said they're called Gods but this could just be some fan theory shit) scale with their power. for example ornstein, gwynevere, artorias. Thats why we see them at different sizes.
so just a theory but maybe this guy aint an actual giant, just a fucking powerful human thing
>>
>>336454324
and yes i know his name has GIANT in it but they could just be referring to his size and not race. Like im 99% sure im wrong here obviously but just a thought
>>
>>336454189
Really? I spent ages checking all the ones after Pontiff and I couldn't find any evidence of facial features except for the middle of their face curving inwards right in the center. You obviously couldn't see a hole, but I just assumed that was what was there because they didn't have eyes or anything in the normal spot. And yeah I'd always guessed face giant in 2 was an oversight from an earlier phase in development. They're the same race as you said anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.
>>
>>336454324
Really? I mean it always confused me why Sif is smaller than you in the DLC, but a fucking giant wolf for his boss fight.

And that artorias's sword grew along with it

Did they explain that?
>>
File: 6209453088_a099fc305c_b.jpg (279 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
6209453088_a099fc305c_b.jpg
279 KB, 1024x575
>>336453350
this

also havel is best havel

pic related: Havel
>>
>>336454324
Pretty much everything gets bigger when it goes Kobayashi on some souls.

Giant Crystal Lizards confirm this.
>>
>>336452473
Yhorm and the cathedral giants are bigger than the souls 1 giants but have the same shape whereas the 2 giants varied in size and had different proportions. Look how spindly the giant lord/last giant are.
>>
>>336454603
im sure i read it somewhere that they scale with power, explains why after the orn and smough fight one or the other gets huuuge after absorbing the others power

but then im kinda thinking why gwyn is so small? has his power faded or am i just wrong?
>>
>>336452473
Pretty much, they mixed both races to please everyone.
>>336453350
Nope, read his soul, he's implied to be the ancestor of the Giant Lord from 2.
>>
>>336454324
No clue. I think he is meant to be an ACTUAL giant because item descriptions and shit say that the humans he ruled all hated him because he was a giant, even though he was the best ruler they'd ever had. If he was just a fuckhuge human then I don't think their reaction would have been so severe given the amount of fuckhuge humans in the setting anyway. And yes, the gods aren't humans. They were all the same in the beginning but those descended from Gwyn, Nito and Izalith became 'gods' because of the souls they got, where as the descendants of the Pygmy who found the special Dark Soul became humans. So biologically they're like identical but in the setting a 'human' is someone who has humanity or a shard of the Dark Soul inherited from the Pygmy, and the gods were the ones who found ordinary souls. They're the same species in the end but it's a division made because they're fundamentally different on a spiritual level. Also the gods tend to bigger than humans most of the time, though that's probably just a gameplay thing to show how super important they are.
>>
>>336454324
They LITTERALLY go out og the way multiple times to confirm he's a giant. Jesus fuck, do you guys not pay attention?
>>
>>336454638
so im guessing yhorm is just a fucking badass then?
>>
>>336454667
Yhorm has tree giant poportions
>>
>>336454713
What you meet in the end of Dark Souls is the empty husk of Gwyn, there is nothing left in there anymore.
>>
>>336454778
oh shit right yeah i totally forgot about the whole "Giant hate" thing
yeah im definitely wrong then, i guess they just wanted to show you his face
>>
>>336454793
He's some form of Giant given that Storm Ruler is specifically said to be strong against giants.
>>
>>336454864
>>336454781
yeah sorry just remembered disregard what i said

Im guessing they wanted to show his red eyes or something but putting floating red dots on a black hole might have looked a bit shit maybe?
i'm guessing showing his face means nothing
>>
>>336452473
I'm no master at Dark Souls lore, but I'm pretty sure Yhorm wasn't a "Giant" rather than he was just fucking huge.
If you stick your camera in the giants near Anor londo, you can sort of see the face cave inwards.
Meanwhile, Yhorm very clearly has eyes, and when you place his ashes on his throne, has a very human-like skull.

One theory behind this that I thought was neat was that Yhorm is a giant-human chimera, created from the humanity of linking the fire.
>>
>>336454793
He was fucking slaughtering the demon survivors to protect the Profaned Capital, he got a lot of souls. And his people still hated him. His only friend was Siegward who promised him that he'd put him down if he went mad before being called to Firelink Shrine. He's a cool guy, fought til the end for the right thing even though he knew there wasn't going to be a happy ending for him even knowing that the people he was fighting for fucking hated him.
>>
>>336454189
>But they covered their faces for some reason that doesn't actually make sense.

They covered their faces because design consistency, everybody's wearing a mask or a helmet or a face-obscuring big hat in DaS1, the general facelessness is more part of the aesthetic than any in-universe thing
>>
>>336454968
You're a literal retard who doesn't pay attention
>>
>>336454984
yhorm and siegward comic when?
Or a patches comic maybe?

in a perfect world they wouldn't be comics but instead spin offs. Imagine playing as one of the NPCs from that game
>>
>>336454864
yet it does absolutely nothing to other giants in the game
>>
>>336455134
Yeah it's total bullshit.
>>
>>336453112
>>336453995
>>336454279
It's like everyone is forgetting that the GIANT skeletons in the tomb of the GIANTS in DaS1 all had human-shaped skulls with eye sockets and jaws and everything, not hole-faces
>>
>>336455134
Cause Yhorm is a TREE GIANT and the others are Anor Londo Giants. Only a storm can fell a GREAT WOOD
>>
>>336455134
im thinking thats more an error on Froms side?
there weren't many normal giants that you could fight so maybe they just forgot to apply the stat difference to them
>>
>>336455252
there's at least 7 giants in the game excluding yhorm.
>>
>>336452473
they use giant soul to become giant, its already explained on DS2
However only strong soul able to wield it
>>
>>336454279
but you find some vagina faces in DS3
and theres the giant tree which again has a vagina face

im really torn cause it could honestly be some detailing put in from From but im also thinking theres just a shit ton of mistakes made
>>
>>336455308
so why is every souls protag a manlet? Why is the soul of cinder barely taller than us?
>>
Anybody else notice that the most recent patch added a dev message to yhorm's boss room telling you to fucking use the storm ruler because of all those guys who never played DeS and didn't figure it out
>>
>>336455357
it's always been there, I've had the game since release and the message by his throne has always been there.
>>
>>336455286
yeah but like in comparison to the rest of the enemies in the game there really aint many, enough for them to have applied the effect but clearly they forgot to
>>
>>336455357
What does the message say
>>
>>336452473
Yhorm is a greatwood.
>>
>>336455231
But we can see that yhorm has eyes and a nose and stuff unlike the hole-faced tree Giants??
>>
>>336455108
The best you'll get is the cutscene at the start of the fight if you get Siegward out of his cell at Irithyll Dungeon where he tells Yhorm he's come to fulfill his promise.
>>
from didn't think they would have to shit out 2 sequels in a short amount of time after dark souls 1

basically what im saying is there is a lot of ass pull shit out there that doesn't quite sync up with dark souls 1, you guys may just be reading too much into it, but because souls games are so fucking vague plot wise, the theories run rampant, and could be the case besides, kek.
>>
>>336455286
This is the dev team that disabled poise and left the Wolf rings in game.
>>
>>336455426
co-op with yhorm and sieg would be fun though
>>
>>336455108
I want to play as Ornstein or Artorias pre abyss
>>
>>336455413
Oh, must have missed it on my first playthrough. I just dashed to grab the treasure and bone'd out of there since I figured there must be a gimmick after doing no damage by hitting him normally

>>336455420
"Only a storm can fell a greatwood"
>>
>>336455357
I just read the description because I'm not retarded.
And I thought it was pretty neat because of that, didn't even know what Storm Ruler in DeS was used for, just knew that it existed.
>>
>>336455493
How would it work? Would one player be Yhorm and do most of the fighting while the other is Siegward who runs around between the combatant's feet while wracking his tiny brain trying to figure out how to trip the enemy over or something for Yhorm to get a crit on? It'd be neat, honestly a lot of the NPC stories from these games would make cool spin offs.
>>
>>336455487
does poise really not matter?
My DS1 memories made me never let go of havels ring just so my poise wasnt shit. Shame i guess, could have had more fun with the other rings

>>336455532
a 4 knights game would be neat

Or something based on that war with the dragons from the first cinematic
>>
>>336452473
There have always been at least two "giants". There are the named giant giants, and also people who have a lot of souls/descend from Gods inexplicably grow bigger (like why was Vendrick so big?). For all we know maybe Yhorm is half giant and half big person. Maybe giants can interbreed with humans that have become big. Who knows.
>>
>>336455348
Ever since bloodborne they just decided you gotta make every single enemy have shaq proportions even if they're just human hollows like the player
>>
>>336455678
well in bloodborne it wasn't hollows, it was bestial mutations, so the size difference makes sense
>>
>>336455616
Yhorm doing huge battles while sieg works behind the scenes in the smaller rooms? im getting all into the idea now, shame its just a dream. So much potential for the franchise
>>
>>336455646
Poise is straight up disabled for players.

Good luck with that UGS bro
>>
File: 20160501165507_1.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160501165507_1.jpg
407 KB, 1920x1080
>>336455678
it's really annoying
>>
>>336455761
completed it now so ill keep it in mind for the DLC, theres so much pretty armour i can piss about with now too
>>
>>336455659
A cross breed giant/god human thing with a lot of souls.... imagine the size
>>
>>336455738
Sorry, didn't mean it was a problem in bloodborne. it made sense there but comes off as out of place in DaS3.

In DaS1 they saved really tall enemies for things like black Knights, berenike Knights, Artorias and stuff like that. The more "lordly" type enemies.

It kinda loses its impact when those greataxe hollows from high wall of lothric tower over the black Knights you encounter later.
>>
>>336455953
Wolnir??
>>
>>336455424
Irrevelant
>>
>>336455646
Poise exists in 3 and works but they turned it off so it actually does nothing. Wearing full Havel's still gets you staggered by one hit from the weakass Hollows outside Firelink. It works on enemies though. It makes most of the equipment useless because it's outclassed entirely by light armour and fast weapons. In prior games you could make weird setups work, but in 3 if it's not a fast weapon and light armour you're actually gimping yourself, there's no reason to use heavy stuff anymore in neither PVP or PVE. Shit's fucked. From couldn't be fucked removing it from the stat screen or removing all the items that affect poise (because they're all literally useless), they didn't even give a disclaimer or any kind of hint that it doesn't do anything. They were just hoping people wouldn't notice.
>>
>>336456098
was wolnir a cross breed?
He's one of the only bosses i didn't really look into, I liked the fight and cutscene but he died so fast that i totally forgot him
>>
>>336455231
Are metaphors lost on you?
>>
>>336455557
>Only a storm can fell a greatwood
So how come the Bearer of the Curse and the human soldiers from memory can take them down without needing Stormruler?
>>
>>336456212
Quick, someone test if storm ruler does bonus damage against curse-rotted greatwood :^)
>>
>>336456098
We don't know what he was before death, only that he was a cunt who had all the other lords of his age killed and he combined all their crowns into mega crowns purely so he could be a mega lord and outlive everyone else because he was afraid of dying. He was probably fuckhuge by the end of his life from all those fucking people he executed.
>>
File: iy33kGS.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
iy33kGS.jpg
186 KB, 1280x720
>>336456160
well thats a bit shiity, did they say why it was disabled?
still gonna use my demon greataxe cause it just looks silly, and fire seems to fuck most enemies up

I'll just start wearing the pope outfit...

which do you guys think did fashion better?
>>
>>336452473
why the fuck wasn't yhorms armour available after defeating him? Fuck this shitty game.
>>
>>336456328
See wolnir would be a fucking neat boss to delve into lore wise but From seem to focus on all the shit stuff like the undead legion and crystal sages. I know literally nothing about wolnir except that his bracelets are god things

>>336456479
it wouldn't fit....(sarcasm lel)
>>
>>336456212
It's obviously a hint, not just a "metaphor"
>>
>>336456632
bit of both maybe?
everythings a metaphor in Dark Souls. everything is about vaginas and dicks according to wisecrack
which is just the most bullshit i've ever heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LueVmefY_Kg
>>
>>336456419
They've been ignoring anyone that asks about poise being disabled ever since the game came out in Japan like two months ago. They just refuse to answer. People who activated it on PC have found that it works perfectly fine with no issues, so it being disabled and ignoring everyone who asks is probably deliberate. I love From but my fuck this is a whole new level of incompetence I never thought them capable of.

Anyway. As for fashion I haven't had enough experimenting in 3 to say for certain. There are some nice sets in 3 but I think 2 is the best for fashion.

>>336456479
Beat him without Storm Ruler or Siegward in NG+ and it spawns back where you first met Siegward, at the bottom of the elevator in the room before the first Outrider.
>>
>>336456814
Satire
>>
>>336455223
>Fromdrones
>caring about facts and/or consistency
>while circlewanking over their fanfiction
Triple strike. You're out.
>>
>>336456942
nah dude, they do have a satire playlist with that alien guy but the philosophy videos are dead serious, read the comment they left on the video.
If it was satire then fine but its some pretty shit satire
>>
>>336456479
I thought it looked like elite knight set in tatters... It was also in cut content
>>
>>336454713

Gwyn sacrificed most of his power to ignite the flame. And he's only been deteriorating since then. Basically what you're fighting in DS is a tiny fraction of Gwyn's original power
>>
>>336457089
saying that content based on the NPCs isnt fanfiction
We care about consistency because it's clearly one of our favoured games that we don't want fucking up with silly little things
we're not drones, we're called fans.

but i mean enjoy hating something because others find it fun <3
the curse of /v/
>>
>>336452473
How the FUCK did Yhorm got inside his room?

Is there any place in DS3 where he could've walked around like normally even? How did he made friends with Sigward?
>>
>>336457274
You're not fans if you deliberately ignore a set of factors from one of the games just to validate your own personal theory about the series.

That makes you no better than Vaati.
>>
>>336457214
ahh right yeah didnt really think that he's obviously just been stood protecting the flame for fucking ages. Is that dragon king guy supposed to be his lost son btw?
I always liked the idea of solair being the son but i mean dreams cant always come true
>>
>>336457370
Time is convoluted.
>The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
>The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
Did you even play DaS1?
>>
>>336454624
>filename not havel

gods you're dumb
>>
>>336455557
But you fight beat the Greatwood without it early on?
>>
>>336457401
but no ones doing that in here?
everyone has acknowledged DS2 and it's lore. Did you even read the thread? or did you just pop in just so say we're fromdrones?

I agree the drones pretend it didnt happen but im a fan of the whole series, and even the people who arent in this thread still acknowledge the game.

stop shit posting and go do something
>>
>>336452473
Because time is convoluted

t. Hidehacka Miyahacki
>>
>>336457597
>everyone has acknowledged DS2 and it's lore
Which is not what the comment you responded to was about. You're STILL deliberately ignoring it, despite it being right here, in this thread, linked conveniently via quote numbers in posts you have, and still continue to respond to.

You ARE a drone.
>>
File: Havel.png (770 KB, 1011x562) Image search: [Google]
Havel.png
770 KB, 1011x562
>>336457572
sorry Havel

this better?
>>
So, are the humans [the] Pygmies in this universe?
>>
How did one of the DaS2 giants manage to die around Firelink Shrine?
>>
He's not a giant. Have you noticed that most of the humanoids are rather big?
Just take a look at the twin princes.
They are big most likely because of all the souls they have consumed, they are lord of cinders afterall.
>>
File: soul-of-gwyn-lord-of-cinder.png (9 KB, 102x120) Image search: [Google]
soul-of-gwyn-lord-of-cinder.png
9 KB, 102x120
>>336457214
>Basically what you're fighting in DS is a tiny fraction of Gwyn's original power
And that tiny fraction is still bigger than Nito or Izalith souls, seriously Gwyn hit the jackpot.
>>
>>336457705

Havel was cool

He was legitimately a tough bastard that still had human-sized proportions

Compare to Smough, whom was obviously a giant
>>
>>336457696
riiight ok you mean the DS1 giant thing
ok my apologies most people who hate on the fans usually bring up the DS2 argument
yeah i think its more of an oversight and not intentionally forgotten

mistakes can happen annon

again my apologies, too many shitposters these days
>>
>>336452473
Who is this?
>>
>>336457764
they planted a giant seed....
>>
>>336457893
Patches
>>
>>336457764
*unsheathes katana* got him. He's been there a long ass time. But seriously, it's because time and space are convoluted and when the fire fades, it drags important locations towards one another so someone can do something about it. That's why Irithyll and Anor Londo are nowhere to be seen in 2 but in 3 they've magically reappeared intact and in new positions. The fire just pulls random places out of space and time and mashes them together for the next Lord to traverse and hopefully find shit without travelling continents and through time.
>>
>>336457789

Princes, Gywn and whatnot (his wife), all seem to be giants to some extent, though

Like the Greek pantheon

More human looking than the actual "giants", but of a breed that's far larger than the small humans. Could be the souls, yes. Ornstein could have been the same size as a human until he was given some Lord juice that made him bigger.
>>
>>336457882
>yeah i think its more of an oversight
That's an even worse mindset. If you are willing to shrug off one element of a series' setting as an "oversight" if it clashes with your internally developed logic chain, that undermines the consistency of the series as a whole. Anything can be shunted off to the realm of "oversight" if it doesn't conform to the theory at hand. It begets chaos.

You decry other fans ignoring elements of Dark Souls 2, yet you effectively ignore elements of the first game, considered by many the best the series has to offer. What does that make you?
>>
>>336458072
>Princes, Gywn and whatnot (his wife), all seem to be giants to some extent, though
Big =/= Giant
Giant is a race in Dark Souls.
The 'giants' of Anor Londo and their descendants are called "gods".
>>
>>336458072
yeah they're inda scalable humans i think
more souls = bigger penis and other body parts

As someone said earlier this is why smough gets all big after smashing ornstintins head in
>>
>>336455332
>im really torn cause it could honestly be some detailing put in from From but im also thinking theres just a shit ton of mistakes made
And of course there's no way to tell the mistakes from the intentional details.
>>
>>336452473
>he doesn't know
The amount of souls a person obtains in some cases makes them larger, like vendrick for example.
>>
I don't think humans can change size like gods can.
Vendrick is the only human we've seen at unusual size, there's no other examples and it's never really explained why he's so big. I'd chock that up as just another mistake by Dark Souls 2's writers, like the dragon with a soul, or Seathe's soul.
>>
>>336456479
>also can't get pontiffs armor or at least his mask
JUST
>>
>>336458294
Why isn't the player a colossus by the end of the game then?
>>
>>336458387
Timely wimely convoluteensies.
>>
File: fire-1073217_960_720.jpg (200 KB, 960x654) Image search: [Google]
fire-1073217_960_720.jpg
200 KB, 960x654
>>336458149
no i meant the person making the post overlooked it, not From

partially why i said annons make mistakes

not many people are gonna remember the Giant skeletons from one part of DS1 when we've all just played DS3.

Easy for someone to forget something like that

stop being so aggressive dude, no need

I don't claim the series is absolute perfect and that all mistakes must be ignored as it's Froms will
As i said, i'm just a fan, more of the first game actually.
>>
>>336456160
That's wrong though. Poise is only active during attacks. It's still there, you just don't get it while running or standing doing nothing.
>>
>>336458387
he's compressed his souls by spending them to the fire keeper anon. The game doesn't expect you to hold souls then not use them.
>>
>>336458387
why isn't ichigo's bankai fucking huge??
>>
>>336455646
Poise affects some abilities. People who say it does nothing at all are retarded.
>>
File: KING_CRIMSON.jpg (160 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
KING_CRIMSON.jpg
160 KB, 1000x800
Doesn't Yhorm have a hole face in the trailers?
>>
>>336458447
That's hyper armour, which is unrelated to poise. Same with rolling. People looking through the game files on PC have confirmed that 3 has a poise system similar to 1, and that it's COMPLETELY deactivated. The hyper armour during attacks is it's own mechanic, poise is confirmed to have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>336458061

People on /v/ told me that Sulyvahn and Aldrich used powerful magic to teleport Anor Londo to the boreal valley
>>
>>336458387
because it's a race of humans called "Gods" (I know) Only these people like gwyn, ornstein, artorias can scale with souls, where as normal humans such as ourselves and the fire keeper don't scale.

The ones who scale are a different race to both giants and humans. If that makes sense?
>>
>>336458440
>not many people are gonna remember the Giant skeletons from one part of DS1 when we've all just played DS3
Which won't stop them from making up all kinds of insane theories and littering the internet with them. Which is exactly what pisses in my fucking cornflakes. Idiots who play the latest game like everyone else, then act like they know left from right like everyone else, even though they don't know (or) remember shit. I.e. drones.
>>
>>336458612
What you're looking at It is a hole in a chain mail hood
>>
>>336458629
I always wondered why it was there. Kinda thought it was just built upon over time but it just didn't line up.
>>
>>336458635
The only separation between humans and gods is that the gods found normal souls while the Pygmy found the Dark Soul. Humans have Dark Souls while the gods have regular ones. Spiritually they're different, but biologically they're probably the exact same fucking things because they were before finding souls.
>>
>>336458626
No it isn't. It's harder to get staggered out of a regular R1 UGS attack with higher poise.
>>
>>336458853
That's the hyper armour. Once you're halfway into a swing with a UGS you can't be staggered. It's separate from poise.
>>
>>336458440
>stop being so aggressive dude, no need
Guy who pointed out the DaS1 giant skeletons here, i dunno who the guy arguing with you is but I didn't make any other posts besides the initial one. Sorry you're getting yelled at
>>
>>336458447
That's hyper armour, nigga, and it's hard-wired into specific attack animations.

Source is fighting games.
>>
File: 71tS3yfIBaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
71tS3yfIBaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>336458698
right yeah i agree with you there. I've been playing since DS1 release date and really i don't know shit about the whole franchise which is why i'm asking questions. But yeah the idiots who have just caught up on it all and watched vaatis videos then pretend to be dark soul gods really pisses me off too.
I do get where you're coming from, I guess it's just hard to differenciate between people generally curios about the franchise and people parroting lore they saw in a video. People need to understand a lot of the lore in these games isn't there and has been interpreted by people, who could have easily got it wrong. Only From knows i guess.
>>
>>336458750
Supposedly if you look from the front steps of anor Londo in DaS3, the location of the grand archives in Lothric lines up with the rough location of Seathe's archives in DaS1
>>
>>336458964
/v/ may as well be a single entity, resolved it now anyway <3
he made some good points
>>
>>336459045
>Only From knows
Not when Hidetaka "I don't know what the fuck I'm reading" Miyazaki is on board.
>>
>>336458817
well maybe its the Dark souls that stumps the humans?
complete theory here and obvious bullshit
but maybe the Dark souls works as a black hole of sorts just sucking in souls you collect.
Maybe the gods physically absorb the souls instead of holding them. Just bullshit theories obviously but interesting to think about.
>>
>>336459192
gotta admit its one hell of a beautiful mess though
>>
>>336458952
No. I've tested this with 0 poise and with 30. At 0 Pontiff can knock me out of a hit, at 30 I can take a hit and keep swinging.
>>
>>336459254
dis nigga just cracked the hole story
>>
>>336459062
The distance is a bit of a stretch (they're fucking miles apart unlike the Duke's Archives and Anor Londo) but it's intentional. It looks like it's in the same position which is what they were aiming for.

A bit offtopic, but was anyone else hoping the Grand Archives would be bigger? I fucking loved it but felt that it should have been about twice as tall before you reach the roof. It wasn't quite long enough to feel as oppressive as they were gunning fo it to be. Plus the Duke's Archives were fucking massive and I wanted more of that style of level after the Research Hall in The Old Hunters. Imagine if the Research Hall and Grand Archives were combined into one level.
>>
>>336459494
I was hoping for something more Dukes archive based and not public library proportions

still a neat zone but yeah could have definitely been bigger. I personally thought Lothric was the worst zone in the game yet clearly From focused on Lothric the most.

The whole DS1 and irithyl zones needed more to them.
>>
>>336459385
I don't know what you've been doing then considering other tests have suggested otherwise and people who've actually dug around the game's code have literally found the line of code disabling poise and nothing else pertaining to it's use. It might still affect SOMETHING but it looks less and less likely each day.
>>
>>336453350
He's literally called Yhorm the Giant, nigga.
>>
>>336459685

I wish the Profaned "capital" was more than a tower and entrance to a throneroom. Shit felt rushed.
>>
>>336452473
What if he was a human that was giant but not giant as a species?
>>
>>336458061
Where's the evidence?
This some fanfiction tier bullshit. End yourself.
>>
>>336459730
Andre the giant wasnt really a giant.
>>
>>336459685
It makes sense lore wise considering Seathe was a fucking dragon and needed to find his way around that library, but yeah I see what you mean. I liked the claustrophobic feeling it had, like they'd just stacked all their books as haphazardly as they fucking could because they don't give a shit.
>>
>>336459685
Well the Grand Archives were built for a human king and his half human kids. Duke's Archives are built for a 50 foot octo-dragon.
>>
>>336459743
As i said im thinking they put like a shit ton of work into the lothric areas and then obviously were like "oh shit yeah theres supposed to be other areas"

and yeah profaned capital was so small i completely forgot about it until you just mentioned it. Shame really
>>
File: latest.png (263 KB, 661x399) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
263 KB, 661x399
>>336452473
>>336455223
I think it's a form of hollowing or something like it. Skeletons aren't hollows otherwise they wouldn't be skeletons.
>>
>>336458629

Actually seems plausible because some of the architecture in Anor Londo and Lothric/Archives doesn't fit together perfectly. There's one place on one of the balconies in Archives where a gargoyle statue seems to have gonethrough a part of a platform of a building right next to it and partially destroyed it, which I thought looked really odd.
>>
>>336458387
Gameplay reasons.
It's a fucking videogame.
>>
>>336459830
Andre the Giant wasn't weak to a specific giant slayer weapon, and his item descriptions didn't specifically mention humans as a separate group.
>>
>>336459827
I was mostly joking dude. They do pull the 'transitory lands converging' a lot though, so really you could use places being dragged together as an excuse to justify anything.
>>
>>336459931
Got source on that?

Thought not.
>>
>>336459743
I consider Irithyll Dungeon and Profaned Capital the one area.
What disappointed me was the boss itself. Yhorm was the most hyped lord in the pre-release. In-game it's all about Aldrich, but Yhorm was one of the first things we saw of the game.
>>
>>336459860
yeah but its anor londo
these people are Gods
why not make a fucking HUGE library just for the sake of it?
guess i just wanted more
more wax too
>>
>>336460000
I'll admit, I haven't actually read Andre the Giant's boss soul.
But the Storm Ruler says that Yhorm "gave to the humans that doubted him". Specifically mentioning humans, not people. If he were a human it'd just say "those that doubted him" or whatever, but it specifically calls them humans meaning that he isn't a human.
>>
>>336459872

Yeah, shame really. I spend ages on that broken bridge because I was like "There has to be more to this area". Then fell for the age old trick of a message saying "Try jumping". And I died.
>>
>>336460071
Well the archives were mostly just a wank chamber for the sages and the scholar.
And I'm not sure Oceiros is a god. Lothric and Lorian might be gods, although their size could just be because they're fucked up. Though considering their mother is a god then they're probably half breeds.
>>
>>336452473
No, the hole giants from 2 are the same as the ones you can see in DS3, they are just hollowing in DS2. Giants get a hole in their face when hollowing like how humans have a dark hole/mark when they are.
>>
>>336460071
what did that wax do? I never actually noticed looked fucking sweet though
>>
>>336460304
Wax stops the book arms from cursing you.
>>
Dark Souls 2 isn't canon, it's time to deal with it.
The stuff from DaS2 is there as a joke.
>>
File: DarkSoulsIII 2016-04-64.jpg (616 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
DarkSoulsIII 2016-04-64.jpg
616 KB, 1600x900
>>336456282
>"But how come in Dark Souls 2..."
2 was very convoluted. There were many things "just because".
Take 4 giant souls to do more damage to Vendrick just because.
Collect powerfull souls to cross this path of rubble just because.
Pieces of Manus are all female, sentient and marrying Kings just because.
After you kill these kings and collect their crowns they magically cures your hollowing just because.

3 tries to do something consistent with it but it's clearly an herculean task. Personally i think the anus face Giants are hollowed giants. In 3, they have some sort of sign in their right shoulder that reminds the Darksign from 2.
>>
>>336460243
man how unlucky, i'd take looking like a raisin over having a hole for a face any day. It was so silly yet i kinda liked the design.

>>336460361
oh shit right, that makes sense. im guessing its the whole "scholars not reading the cursed information" stuff?

>>336460408
you can't just say that annon, it is.
Just because it's shit doesn't mean you can pretend like its not cannon. From just fucked up, accept it
>>
>>336460304
The books don't curse you. The scholars have wax on their heads so they can study in peace and any trespassers who try and read their stuff get raped by ghost arms.
>>
>>336460474
im feeling this is why they didn't set it in the same place as DS1 and 3.
They probably used DS2 as a way to test stuff, therefore putting it in a land saying that the games story was lost to history. This way they can concentrate all the good stuff into DS3 while still not breaking many lore rules they had set. just a guess but would explain why they kinda shrugged DS2 off.
>>
>>336459743
Not only was the profaned capital an underwhelming area but the lore it adds muddies the already fucking convoluted story with the addition of the profaned flame

The dark age is coming, the fire is going out, oh except over here, where they have an imperishable flame that will burn forever and never die for some reason? What's up with that?

It's not even connected to the first flame or the flame of chaos or something it just comes out of nowhere.
>>
>>336460570
Nigga, they barely mention the game.
They put a few stuff from it just to please the retards who liked DaS2 to a degree.
But they'll never touch the lore from 2 again.
And thank god.
>>
>>336460967
>he missed all the lore references to 2 in 3
Really dude?
>>
>>336460602
How do they read with wax over their EYES
>>
>>336460949
There are also some pyromancies referenced to the profaned flame similar to how chaos pyromancies come from the chaos fire so it is similar in that regard
>>
>>336460967
see now if you said this originally then i wouldn't have said anything
but saying its none cannon is just wrong.
Too many people just pretend it didn't happen, It was still a good game even if it didn't follow the lore perfectly. or at all really...
>>
>>336461196
>It was still a good game
Haha
>>
>>336460949

I think the Profaned flame is the chaos flame. There are some references to Eleum Loyce and Alsanna at least.
>>
>>336461052
>he says "all" like there's a lot
Kek, you're delusional.
Even the references are vague and distant.
>>
>>336461263
sorry i'll reiterate

I liked Dark souls 2
Just as everyone has their own opinion and that you cant just state a game is bad to everyone because you personally dont like it.
Sorry should have been more specific <3
>>
>>336461058
They have eyes on the inside you beastly idiot.
>>
>>336461292
Chaos flame is gone.
That's why the demons are almost extinct.
>>
>>336461292
But what is the profaned flame doing underneath irythill when the ruins of izalith are underneath the Carthus catacombs

If profaned capital connected to smouldering like you might be on to something, because going by DaS1 geography izalith was situated pretty much directly under the landmass anor Londo was sitting on
>>
>>336460949
I think you got confused a little there. The Profaned Flame is very important.

The game implies the Profaned Flame is a chaos flame corrupted by the Dark.

The whole story about Sullyvan resolves around the Profaned Flame:
"Long ago, when Sulyvahn was yet a young sorcerer, he discovered the Profaned Capital and an unfading flame below a distant tundra of Irithyll, and a burning ambition took root within him."

And it also implies that Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder exactly to kill the Profaned Flame. He did something, probably fed it to the First Flame, but it backfired somehow, burning all the human flesh in the Capital and this is why there's so many corpses there. After Yhorm ressurected, he sat in his throne, looking at all his work and how Linking the Flame solved nothing:
"Lonely Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder to put the Profaned Flame to rest, knowing full well that those who spoke of him as lord were quite insincere."
>>
>>336461443
lel i can imagine a book smushed up against his face with wax covering the entire head.
"cursed knowledge"
>>
>>336461292

I actually think the profaned flame is abyss-tainted.

And that Yhorm is a descendant of the giant king you meet in the memory area of DS2.
>>
>>336461476
Smouldering lake*
>>
>>336461467

The Chaos flame could still be around, just weak, like if you compare the Old Chaos to the Profaned flame. It's a huge difference.

But I may just be wrong. I just thought about it since Alsanna is the only one with the title of oracle as far as I know.
>>
oh wow, at 40/40 onikiri and ubadachi aren't made better by any infusion
>>
For you
>>
>>336461567
I wish Micolash appeared in all the games instead of Patches, and instead of seeking treasure and tricking you he seeks knowledge and tricks you. And instead of trying to weasel his way out of it when you get back to him, he just calls you a beastly idiot and asks if you wanna buy some shit.
>>
>>336461476
Profaned Capital is right besides/above Smoldering Lake. Remember that you can see Irithyl Dungeon from there and that Profaned Capital is right below it.
>>
>>336461641
I think it's gone, at least as we know it, as the precursor of the demons.
>>
>>336461576
But the "black flame" spell is specifically the flame born of the abyss, discovered by wolnir, profaned flame is something different
>>
>>336461809
Profaned flame is a flame of dark.
I can't remember where, but I was reading just today something in-game saying it was a product of the abyss.
>>
File: 1332297895569.png (31 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1332297895569.png
31 KB, 200x250
>the description of Lucatiel's mask.

I never forgot your name, I promise.
>>
>>336461809
correct me if im being retarded but i thoiught stuff like the black flame was just straight abyss, like no fire, just pure abyss in a fire like form. I think they're saying the profaned flame is a normal flame with some abyss sprinkled on top

i'm feeling im wrong though.
>>
File: ProfanedCoal.jpg (420 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ProfanedCoal.jpg
420 KB, 1600x900
>>336461809
Profaned coal abilitate dark damage.
>>
>>336461954
>DaS2
Lol
>>
>>336461954
Poor Lucatiel. I've never finished her questline because she's fucking useless and won't stay alive during her fights. I still love her though. It gets me how the last place you ever see her is literally a stone's throw away from where her brother spawns and you kill him.
>>
>>336462019
come on now that design is a bit too edgy even for dark souls

imagine andre being like "the fuck is this? a skull on fire? can't forge shit with this... its a skull"
>>
>>336461918
It's not explicit but when you give Andre the Profane Coal he mentions being able to see the Abyss in it. Also Manus hand baby giants.
>>
>>336462056
>you

haha
>>
>>336462019
Oh, that's what it was.
Andre says that the profaned coal is something dark.
>>
>>336462056
dude are you just literally having a go at everyone who mentions DS2, do you have nothing better to do?

at least explain why you hate it so much, instead of the typical implied reasons
>>
>>336462127
"I don't know how the fuck you'd forge something with a god damn skull cup full of lava, but I have a lot of spare time these days. Come back in an hour or two and I'll have something for you, I guess'.
>>
>>336462219
Because it's not canon you dense cunt, provide a single source implying it is.
>>
>>336462219
Literally just replied to the post i saw in the index.
What are you on about?
>>
>>336462359
Dark 2 is canon but ignorable.
>>
>>336462439
I thought DaS 2 was the reason you don't hollow in DaS 3
>>
>>336462516
You do hollow in Dark 3.
>>
>>336462168
Cry more, shitter.
>>
>>336462359
Oh, I didn't realize the developers said DaS 2 was non-cannon. I guess you are right then. Though could you link me the interview or article that said this? I'd like to have it so I can show my friends
>>
>>336462439
>>336462359
Soooo much in DaS3 barely makes sense if you take all the events of DaS2 as canon.

I just like to think maybe one followed the link the fire ending and one followed the dark lord ending.

A Zelda style timeline split, 2 and 3 can't really coexist in the same universe, they're like different branches of it
>>
>>336462516
Why peopl keep repeating this? Did they saw it in some of those youtube videos? It has nothing to do with it.

Crown from 2 (for god knows why) cures hollowing FOR THE BEAREAR.

In 3, you are ASH. You don't Hollow (at first) because you're bellow a Hollow. You don't have humanity in you, you're not human. You are ASH, Unkindled.
>>
>>336462590
I haven't yet, on NG+ too
>>
>>336460474
Yeah I never understood how come the giant souls were so powerful in 2 either. When they show you how the world was made in DaS1 the giant souls isnt there.
>>
>>336462516
Not directly. You're not Hollow in 3 (unless you accept your totally consequence free level ups from Yoel, preorder now) because you died a human and were brought back as ashes to fetch the Lords of Cinder. There's so few Hollows left that they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for corpses to rekindle, and you're one of the last of them left too. You're character is literally bottom of the barrel garbage they had to dig through random parts of the cemetery to even find.
>>
>>336462706
>if you take all the events of DaS2 as canon.
Which is why we don't.
Dark 2 was a royal mess of a story, so why would you take it over Dark 3?
>>
>>336462516
Nah that's just because you're a more special, spicier flavour of undead in DaS3, apparently you have an incomplete darksign that doesn't accumulate curse like the previous games
>>
>>336462764
Did you get any of Yoel's free levels?
>>
>>336462706
I don't know why you'd think that. Story from 2 barely affects anything. You're just following a story in the middle of the cycle. The most important aspect i believe is that some guy (Alva) made some pseudo dragons through voodoo.
>>
>>336454834
No he doesnt, they have huge shoulders
>>
>>336462785
>>336462832
where the fuck are you getting that?
I finished the game three times and read most descriptions and I still have no clue what the difference between hollow and unkindled ash is
>>
>>336462706
What are some of the contradictions between 2 and 3? Not trying to argue. I am legit wanting to see a list of them because I don't know
>>
Y'all niggas dumb as fuck for taking everything so damn seriously, especially item descriptions.

Who do you think even wrote the item descriptions in game? You think you just pick something up and it has writing all over it? No. The developer wrote all this shit to make it interesting and they have proven time and time again that this shit is inconsistent.

Holy fuck it's like arguing with my 13 year old brother in here.
>>
File: 80.jpg (1014 KB, 1200x1575) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
1014 KB, 1200x1575
>>336452473
That chestpiece looks incredibly similar to Soul of Cinder's.
>>
>>336458387
>Give souls to Firekeeper
>She doesn't become a giantess.
Kill me.
>>
>>336462941
One is a made of meat and bones. The others is ash. How is that hard to understand?
>>
>>336462896
If that is the turtle shell guy then no. I don't really do sorceries so I kinda just ignore him
>>
>>336462673
>when asked about whether soul memory would be returning from dark souls 2, Miyazaki allegedly said "what's that?"

LEGENDARY BIG M didn't even play dark souls 2 before they cranked out 3, I doubt he considers it part of the canon.

It's like the snake's revenge of dark souls
>>
>>336462809
Dark Souls 2 had a great story and lore.It has problems, but underage kids like you shit on it just for the sake of shitposting.
>>
>>336462785
>can die and be reborn without going hollow
>manage to do everything a normal undead could
unkindled are better than undead
>>
>>336462909
>throne of want is the first flame
This alone should make from trash the whole game from the canon.
>>
>>336460764

>im feeling this is why they didn't set it in the same place as DS1 and 3.

>he thinks ds3 and ds1 take place in the same place

nigga lothric is a vortex of landmasses getting dragged together
>>
>>336463050
If you get a free level from him you get an item called Dark Sigil. When you're holding a Dark Sigil you hollow upon death, 1 hollowing point for each sigil held.
>>
>>336462941
Did you never level up with Yoel?

check your key inventory after you do
>>
>>336462941
Hollows are humans without humanity. Ash is literally just corpses rekindled in a desperate attempt to fuel the flame. Unkindled can be Hollow but not all are. You start of as a perfectly normal Unkindled unless you let Yoel level you up for free, which plants the Dark Sigil on you and makes you Holow upon death.
>>
>>336463061
Wait this is it? This is what is convincing swaths of people that DaS 2 isn't canon? Also did it really say allegedly? Because that makes it even worse
>>
>>336463078
Here's your (you)
>>
>>336463265
haha nice meme stupid shitter
>>
>calling them fromdrones
"people" who hate DS2 are called miyazakidrones
they want to eat miyazakis literal shit
>>
>>336463134
No evidence whatsoever.
DaS3 takes place in Lordran.
Anor Londo is there, Izalith and Ash Lake is there.
Farron is probably Darkroot too.
>>
>>336463125
It isn't. It was an allusion to the Kiln of the First Flame. But it clearly wasn't since no Flame was there. It's something else. I don't think even From knows what the fuck that Throne of Want was.

Whatever we say it was: some long range Linking of the First Flame; the Flame was actually there; some terrible attempt at deep storytelling; or all of the above. We'll never know because it was so poorly done it can barely be discussed.
>>
>>336463254
So I guess that after a hollow dies for the last time, they become unkindled ash if they are rekindled? I just don't get where unkindled ash comes from in a world where you never actyally die
>>
File: image.png (126 KB, 448x266) Image search: [Google]
image.png
126 KB, 448x266
>>336463254
>fire brings me back to fuel it
>backfires entirely as I let it die out and keep the souls for myself
>not even Kaathe wins because everything ends

Fuck you Flame, we eternal darkness now
>tfw hoping for the age of Deep Sea
>>
>>336463260
He actually said 'what's that?' in a joking way if you read any other article. That anon is just baiting. It was Miyazaki acknowledging that they knew fans hated it and assuring it wouldn't return. People seem to be forgetting that Miyazaki himself directed the online component of DaS2. Doesn't mean he came up with SM, but he knew about it.
>>
>>336463405
It was the first flame.
Play the game.
>>
File: DarkSoulsIII 2016-04-25 16-34.jpg (576 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
DarkSoulsIII 2016-04-25 16-34.jpg
576 KB, 1600x900
>>336463393
>Farron is probably Darkroot too.
>probably
>>
>>336463473
>fans hated it
top kek.
the few people who "hate" it are loud retards who watch e-celebs because they can't form their own opinions.
>>
>>336457370
Maybe it was built around him, to keep him trapped for when he inevitably goes insane?
>>
>>336463508
I played, we all did. Please elaborate and give source through either dialogue, screenshot or item description. Show us the First Flame in Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>336462946
Areas like carim, Astora and such have fallen out of knowledge in 2, but are back to being known about in 3

Inconsistencies regarding the location of the kiln of the first flame

In 2, the chaos flame is trapped underneath the frozen city of Eleum Loyce, which is in a barren, featureless tundra, whereas in 3, the dead chaos flame apparently burned out underneath a different frozen city in a valley not far from other civilizations that apparently contains a chunk of anor Londo

Alva and Creighton appear, even though one is a long dead folk hero by the time dark souls 2 happens and the other can be killed in your playthrough

It contradicts the very basic idea that "dark souls 3 takes place after dark souls 2"
>>
>>336458629
More likely it's because of the places and time being convoluted while converging on lothric
>>
>>336456887
>Beat him without Storm Ruler or Siegward in NG+ and it spawns back where you first met Siegward, at the bottom of the elevator in the room before the first Outrider.

yeah and if you beat all the challenges in Melee with mewtwo without failing in under an hour you unlock Cloud!
>>
>>336455646

Poise is fucked, can confirm. I was using a two handed hammer, swung at a person after I rolled which is the fastest swing on a 2handed hammer that you can do and before I landed a hit, I got hit by his faster straight sword which flinched me out of my attack animation. Then since I was stun locked by that one hit, I took 2 more and died.

I use large weapons for the fun of it but in a straight one on one you're playing at a disadvantage.
>>
I've got a gameplay question.
I'm using the UGS Greatsword. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with greatshield users in PvP?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.