[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most devastating hacking spree/exploit in MMO history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 28
File: blackrobe.jpg (155 KB, 1599x852) Image search: [Google]
blackrobe.jpg
155 KB, 1599x852
What is the most devastating hacking spree/exploit in MMO history?
>>
>fally massacre

Also

I read some guy stole a shitload of stuff on eve online, but idr the whole story.
>>
Pic related. Ah the dark age of Mabinogi when script kiddies went crazy with pake and mabi was almost unplayable for like a week, and there was a tent that everybody was scared to even go near. This was like back in 2012 right?
>>
>>336374142

they turned durial321 into an emote.
>>
>>336374432
Yeah, though from what I remember it was pretty much a constant problem throughout the whole year. Nobody went into tents in general, parties were all kept private, and everyone turned off equipment view. Apparently blackrobing is why so many people still have equipment view off.
>>
>>336374628
>>336374432
Never played Mabi, what did the black robes do? And what about the tents?
t. curious cat
>>
>>336374494
what?
>>
Tree of Savior, hues committed massive fraud and bought DLC for free thanks to a payment method that only exists there
>>
>>336374142
>I read some guy stole a shitload of stuff on eve online, but idr the whole story.

stealing from people is a core game mechanic in eve. its not a hack or exploit
>>
Not sure if it counts as an exploit but the whole wotlk launch event with no-life retards ruining the game for decent players
>>
>>336374843
Basically under the right conditions a hacker could edit your inventory and alter it in some way (I can't remember if they were adding in glitched items or deleting your inventory menu or what) which would make your character unusable and display only as an empty black robe on the character select. From what I remember, the only way to get it fixed was contacting Nexon support, so basically you're just fucked.

Tents were one of the main ways, but they could also do it by joining your party or looking at your equipment info.
>>
File: 1427595052364.jpg (73 KB, 353x260) Image search: [Google]
1427595052364.jpg
73 KB, 353x260
corrupted blood
>>
>>336374938

I still can't believe Valve actually let BRs buy games with a literal IOU. BRs of all fucking people.
>>
>>336375680
Mabinogi actually had one somewhat similar to that just last year. Mabinogi General used it to fuck with GM events and it was pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/UnDf5snR4pY
>>
This, they started out small, like 20 in a playground to lag it. Than more came, they started blocking off entrances to areas, creating so much that they filled districts(servers). It got so bad that during ToonTown's last days, you could not even log on. All the districts had been filled. It really fucking sucked, i had friends i wanted to say good-bye too...
>>
>>336374142
>fally massacre

Literally irrelevant. Learn some basic RS history
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dupe
>>
>>336376163
>white cat master race
>>
>>336374054

not the most devastating, but there's usually a public dupe for MapleStory every year

I made 1m nx off one and promptly squandered it on useless shit

There's also numerous private gold/currency exploits for RuneScape/MapleStory that have existed over the years

I abused one in RS last year to earn about $20k, and I'm using one in MapleStory right now that has earned >$10k
>>
File: 1459137410571.png (62 KB, 326x190) Image search: [Google]
1459137410571.png
62 KB, 326x190
>Mabi
>No mention of NPC killing
https://youtu.be/Sv1aoY-GGfc
>>
>>336376481

If you're wondering how I found those exploits, both games have lots of unused/rarely used content that has been forgotten over the years, so sometimes new updates are introduced that doesn't take that content into account, enabling crazy exploits.
>>
>>336377385
Anything specific as far as Maplestory goes? I'm always curious about some of the older content that gets ignored in that game.
>>
>>336377707

http://www.sqa.org.uk/e-learning/MDBS01CD/page_22.htm

Most of the exploits that don't involve fucking around with packets involve update anomalies, since Maple's coding is shit
>>
File: wp-PSO-11-0640.jpg (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wp-PSO-11-0640.jpg
95 KB, 640x480
Oldschool PSO's NOL hack. People in your room could turn a character you've spent hundreds of hours on into a copy of a level 5 npc named Nol.

I believe there was also hacks that could BSOD or even brick victims Dreamcasts.

Sega sucks dick.
>>
>>336374054
Neverwinter Online's Cape of Catastrophe debacle when entire economy was ruined forever and Cryptic did nothing to fix it. Keep in mind this was like in the first weeks of game's release.
>>
File: pso.png (420 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
pso.png
420 KB, 600x450
>>336374054
PSO Episode 1&2 had so many exploits and hackers online doing all sorts of shit.

>Crashing other peoples games
>Corrupting the memory cards of other people
>Duping glitch which not only ruined the trading economy but also created a ton of duped hacked weapons that did 9999 damage to enemies
>People running around the lobby as Sonic or Knuckles literally posing as GMs
>Exploit was found in-game to dump any Gamecube game in your disc tray as a ISO file you can transfer to your PC

I mean people just literally busted this game wide open.
>>
>>336377707
I remember an exploit my younger brother was doing around 2007 that involved a pq, dropping a pq item, and unplugging our router to dupe the item.

Mad exp, iirc
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
>>336376163

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFU5TB7n95s

Toontown had the craziest fucking hacks.
>>
>>336378759
Oh yeah, smuggling. I remember that. I became an expert at it. Pretty much guaranteed spots in PQs.
>>
>>336378495
Oooh, that sounds hilarious. Tell me more.
>>
>>336375847
Back when rs was still good (2004 or so) you could buy membership with your local store's savings discount card provided it had a 16digit number
>>
>>336378663
Another famous exploit was also being able to freeze other peoples consoles based on their IP address through some proxy trick. As long as the exploiter was in the lobby, your game would instantly crash.

Keep in mind that people were paying a monthly sub fee to play this game online. Paying $8 a month and not able to play because some hacker decided to fuck with you was lame. Calling customer support did nothing to fix it either, you were stuck until the hacker logged off.
>>
>>336374054
Absolute virtue's first defeat was pretty exploited. When you have entire servers scream D-D-DOESN'T count I'd say that's am intense exploit
>>
>>336376206
ok grandpa
>>
>>336378663
Hacks were the reason Sonic Team gave up on DLC for the game, isn't that right?
>>
>>336380573
I'm not sure about that. But I know that Sonic Team gave up releasing Phantasy Star games in the west because they all get hacked into oblivion.
>>
WTF
>>
File: UO_LB_assassination.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
UO_LB_assassination.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
The assassination of Lord British. Seeing someone who was basically a demigod get killed in-game was outrageous.
>>
>>336382591
>neither a hack nor an exploit
It was his own fault for not using godmode
>>
>>336382851

You're a hack
>>
>>336375515
>People having fun ruins the game

Fuck yourself you faggot, people like you are why WoW is dogshit.
>>
File: !!!.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
!!!.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>336378206
>Oldschool PSO's NOL hack.
Haha. My little brother got hit by this. He was crying for almost a week straight. Still give him shit from time to time over it.

I also remember PK's being big and something about a meseta hack that could nuke a character. Also casting spells on people up on the ship could FSOD them.
>>
K-style.

There, I said it.
>>
>>336374843
Script kiddies could make and use items that can corrupt your character's data, thus the boot from the game and blackrobe on character login. It was terrible since you had to rely on Nexon's shitty customer support to manually fix your character, as there was no real global fix.

Best part about all of this is that this had to be one of the worst hackings for Nexon, and there was no compensation at all for anyone as they give the excuse "We're still working on fixing characters" aka "we're not giving you free shit"
>>
>>336384203
just like the BXR from halo 2 huh?
>>
nostalrius
>>
File: 15_Year_(2006).gif (2 MB, 468x396) Image search: [Google]
15_Year_(2006).gif
2 MB, 468x396
>>336374913
>>
>>336384203
But there was nothing devastating about that one
>>
>>336375515
>no fun allowed
You are why WoW became terrible, go fuck yourself
>>
>>336378854
So many people left TTR after this, it's basically a ghost town now.
>>
>>336384203
that actually made the game good
>>
>>336374054
Blackrobing was fun. I mailed Marielx(that one annoying tripfag) the head of some alt character I made to blackrobe for shits and giggles. I'm sure they didn't open the letter, though.
>>
>>336374054
Corrupted blood in Wow. Not hacking, just a bug, but hilarious nonetheless

>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident
>>
I dunno about worst hack in history....

But there was this really fucking shitty MMO, the only thing I can really remember of it was that it had both humanoid races and a special dragon race, dragon race was only available to subs and couldn't do crafting or a lot of other stuff.

Anyway I somehow managed to make a dragon character despite being completely f2p and tricked their automated system into not realizing it. I made a humanoid character on the account, then deleted it and made a dragon character with the same name, and it somehow did not realize I had the dragon race.

Of course I dropped the game 4 days later because it was pretty shit but whatever.
>>
The original Phantasy Star allowed for gameshark to delete other people's characters, items, and accounts.
Rift servers were hacked a few years ago a large percentage of people lost characters and all their items. They were eventually restored, but the hackers also got the account passwords and it took a number of weeks for the gms to process everyone.
Definitely not a hack, but Warhammer Online had a billing error charging many people upwards of hundreds of dollars after now defunct developer Mythic outsourced the billing process to a third-party company with known poor business practices. After the chargers took weeks to reverse for many people this likely contributed to the shutdown of the game. It also had a hack called Warbuddy that I don't think was ever detected and was around for most of the game's life. It allowed for a type of speed hack and teleporting with other things.
>>
>>336374054
Obviously not the most devastating or important in MMO history, but as far as RO goes, I remember at least two. The first one was when Endless Tower, an instanced dungeon, was first implemented, the first MVP you encounter there is GTB, whose card is probably the most OP in the entire game. Normally, a party could only attempt the dungeon once a week, even if they failed, however, people could literally avoid this limitation by breaking their party and making a new one, so they could enter the tower, kill the MVP, exit and retry if it didn't drop its card, all in like 2-3 minutes.

The second one was thanks to a single bugged smokie. Someone, somewhere while doing his daily farming, discovered a single smokie monster, who upon being killed, instantly respawned in the exact same spot. What happened next is obvious, people gathered and casted continuous spells such as Storm Gust on that spot so the Smokie died instantly after spawning, fast forward a few hours and the value of Smokie cards had completely crashed, not to mention the millions of zeny they got from all the other random loot.
>>
Not the biggest, but most recent that I can remember: Elder Scrolls Online was almost dead-on-arrival when someone unearthed an item dupe exploit a week or two into the game that completely ruined the game's economy and saw thousands of players being banned just for receiving duped items.
>>
Not hax but I got minecraft on Ps3/vita for free.

If you downloaded the demo on vita and then went to the ps3 store and looked at minecraft it would confuse the cross buy system and let you add the full ps3 version to your account for free. Then because you have the full ps3 version you could download the full vita version too

I haven't even bothered installed it though, I've had the pc version for years
>>
>>336382591
Yeah this, even though it wasn't a hack or exploit it was literally fullscale panic. Which is pretty funny since its basically canon that Lord British can be killed in all of his appearances.

God I still get shivers thinking about this.
>>
>>336374054
PSO when a million fuckin unsealed j swords were injected into the game by hackers and pretty much destroyed the game for newcomers and vets.
>>
>>336378854
so this was Mein Kampf or what?
>>
>>336386118
Didn't someone literally die because of the warhammer billing issue?
>>
>>336386445
Wow holy shit.

ESO had thousands of players?
>>
>>336384801
>tfw 2006 was 15 years ago
>>
>>336387371
> "Mythic had a huge billing issue a while ago. Anyone who played Dark Age of Camelot or Warhammer will know this. Pretty much every subscriber was charge 5-20 times in one sitting. One person had their electricity shut off because their auto-pay couldn't fulfill the transaction, since we emptied their account. Someone in that house was on a breathing apparatus. The people hadn't properly informed the electricity company of the situation. The person on the apparatus died. I talked to the person who was taking care of them.. It wasn't a good day. I cried when I got home. I cried a lot."
>>
>>336374494
>>336374913
>>336384801
I was wondering, did they did anything special for Zezima all these year?
>>
>>336385474
that was an interesting read
>>
File: held hostage.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
held hostage.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
not really a hack but an admin for old ultima online forgot to set his unkillable flag: got murdered and looted
>>
>>336376163
I almost forgot this game existed
>>
>>336387859
Holy shit... What a fucked up way to die.
>>
File: Danjin.png (201 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Danjin.png
201 KB, 400x600
There was a time during Vanilla D3 where after a patch an exploit was found within the auction house. People were able to generate gold out of thin air. In doing so people made millions of gold and went on to sell it on the Real-Money-Auction-House and cashed out before blizzard cracked down.

Its one of the major factors contributing to today's inflated "market" though now all spending of it is purely singleplayer.

The kicker was Blizzard took a 1/3 cut of all RMAH sales so they ended up making a quick buck too. But they played it cool and donated all the profits from the scandal to charity.

Was a pretty exciting 2-3 days. We all thought blizzard was gonna get fucked and the game destroyed. There was no foreseeable hope of the game bouncing back. But they dropped the AH come RoS and while there are gold sinks, people went into RoS with billions of gold so there was nothing they could do except scale the in-game sinks to be just as high.
>>
>>336388662
Sorry if I sound dumb because I never played Diablo 3 but, was the Real Money Auction House a place where you could buy gold and items from other players with real money? What happened to people who used the exploit?
>>
>>336387584
I laughed
>>
>>336389192
Bingo.
You could sell any item Million of gold on the RMAH for any price u chose. Blizzard would just take a cut of the sale.

And people could buy items and mils of gold with their credit cards (actually money on their blizzard account).

Cant remember what happened to the perps. im sure some people got banned. Others stripped of their gold. I'm sure some managed to play it smart and get some good items and maintain relative gold amounts as to avoid red flags.
>>
>>336385540
Did you mean Shadowbane?
>>
Not devastating in any way but fuck you

>WoW
>Guy receives GM weapon by mail by error
>He and his guild proceed to oneshot everything in brand new Ulduar
>All get banned

fun times
>>
>>336376206
This dupe still has an impact on Runescape to this day. Just imagine how much rares would be worth if they weren't duped to high hell back then. While sixfeetunder got famous for it, it was going on for awhile before that after someone noticed you could send trades for items you didn't have in your inventory while testing a script.
>>
>>336388341
Death by MMO. Not a pretty way to go.
>>
File: stoneofjordan.jpg (15 KB, 402x218) Image search: [Google]
stoneofjordan.jpg
15 KB, 402x218
Remember me?
>>
FFXI: When it came out people were fish botting, screwed up the economy pretty bad.

FFXIV: When it came out people were teleporting/speed hacking to gather materials for crafting.
>>
>>336388341
To be fair, it was an accident waiting to happen. If an unexpected power outage will kill someone, a backup battery is a necessity.
>>
When Warlocks could store buffs on their Felguards and one shot an arena team with Felstorm
>>
>>336390390
>FFXIV: When it came out people were teleporting/speed hacking to gather materials for crafting.

they never stopped

the big "exploit" of ff14 was when people managed to create millions of gil out of thin air by hacking the market board. many people got banned or lost all of their gold, even if they were innocent
>>
>>336391638
At least it was fun to play for a month I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 325x325
>>336375847
Why are BR the fucking scum of the vidya Internet? I love hearing about them because they're like a fucking plague upon everything
>>
Is GTA Online an MMO?

If so, literally everything about that game is ruined by players with menus.

>Spawning in money for other players
This ruins the pacing of the game and gives non-modding players burnout. Why play if you have no goals to aim for?

>Insta-death due to random explosions everywhere.
>Menu users spawning in giant objects and causing FPS drops
>Menu users able to LITERALLY ban other players by messing with their character's stats in a way to make the system auto-ban them.
>>
>>336392161
This is the type of multiplayer you benefit owning on a console. Gta, TPP, dark souls etc etc. PC has way too many script kiddies running rampant
>>
>>336374054
Wasn't it in that new D&D or LOTR MMO where people found out that you could input negative values into the marketplace and receive that amount directly into your wallet?

The economy was basically fucked since day 1 because they used a poorly coded HTML based marketplace menu. And they refused to reroll the servers.
>>
>>336392838
That Neverwinter MMO, yeah. I quit shortly after that happened, did the devs ever do anything about it?
>>
>>336392161
This is why you play private games with your buddies.
>>
>>336393549
My friends are all fags that only play dota and csgo and wow
>>
File: 1461986500614.jpg (120 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1461986500614.jpg
120 KB, 640x480
>>336392104
If you think BR's are bad, go play with the fucking Pinoys(Filipino's)
>>
>>336390373

Did you just edit the stats on that ring, because i recall it only gave +1 to all skills and some mana.

WTF mate.
>>
>>336390108
Aren't some rares worth multiple stacks of gold now? That's retarded
>>
File: Hilarious.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Hilarious.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>336374054
The reason these people got blackrobed was because they were on the list!
>>
>>336394010
Try playing against 'win at all costs' Russians.
It seems like the only way they get pleasure from a game is making somebody else see the game over screen, so they will hack the fucking planet to make that happen.

Isn't there some ridiculous steam figures floating around showing that ruskies make up less than 10% of steam's population but are responsible for 50% of all VAC bans?
>>
Maplestory had so money it stopped being funny. Not even going to mention the massive amount of duping that's gone on over the years.

There was once a private hack where you could steal someone's actual account info through whispers or trades, and later on, you were once able to straight up just hijack their character while they were on. Basically, when you whispered someone, the server would send some encrypted data including your account info, and the hack allowed you to see it and decrypt it. With the hijacking, it was just some weird exploit that allowed you to make the server think you were the person you targeted, kicking you off your own character and letting you take control of them. The first one was more common, the second was a bit more obscure.

Long ago during that large email leak, I believe Yahoo's, so many accounts were compromised and stripped that it caused mass panic among the games for months. Someone would log on to your account at night, strip you and give it to a mule, and you'd see all your equips the next day in a shop. Hackers that did this claimed they were making thousands of dollars. This was before the game was completely pay2win, so it was pretty surprising.

Vac hacking, sucking all of the maps spawn into a certain spot so the hacker could kill them all, has been in the game at all points for years, making large amounts of money to the point where it became a joke. Nexon was never and probably will never be able to curb it. Honestly, if you don't want to spend money, you're best off just straight hacking for money. There's almost no way to keep up playing legitly, unless you're on the reboot server.
>>
>>336374054
Not devastating but a shitload of people got perma bans for duping salvage drops on FFXI years ago.
>>
>Neverwinter mmo at release
>could put up things for negative "premium" money on AH to gain that much
>could make a custom map with just a pit filled with ogres that would make you max lvl in just a few hours

I quit after 2 days and never tried it again
>>
>>336378663
>>336379224
Jesus Christ, I remember all this shit.
Broomop, Snowfox, and others were big name hackers back in the day in PSO.

There's still some old screenshots of Snowfox hacking the game on his website
http://www.darksyn.biz/psoxscreens.htm
>>
>>336395516
The thing is that Nexon actually did curb hacking for at least two years at one point around the release of Big Bang. There were almost no public hacks to speak of and if you did hack it banned you quickly. They also have an autoban system now where if you vac you have to do it in a specific way so the system doesn't detect it, and so on. I know the original vaccing is patched(Where you actually sucked up all the monsters to your position serverside and people saw it), I know dEMI and its offshoots like mouse vac are the main stuff nowadays, and they have it set up so you change channels the instant someone comes into your map.

The thing you're talking about where it was whispers only got you the password and username, but not the PIN, though there was a private PIN hack floating around at one point on KMS as well. Item duping is a more recent thing since back in the day it required packet editing and if you sent the wrong packets it just instantly banned your account, and so on.

Maple has had its fair share of hackers though, prior to Big Bang it was basically a necessity unless you cleared months off your schedule just to grind. Once they patched Coolies that was around the time where it heavily started with everyone doing it since no one was getting banned at all, it was basically necessary since the EXP gain was shit, and buying anything was almost impossible.
>>
>>336387859
I call bullshit

Electricity companies don't immediately shut off your internet the first time you miss a payment unless you live in the third world
>>
>>336394949
Fuck off, Mabigen.
>>
>>336378206
Dude. I've gotten a bricked Dreamcast from pso.
>>
File: Falador_Massacre.png (309 KB, 587x552) Image search: [Google]
Falador_Massacre.png
309 KB, 587x552
Falador massacre in RS
>>
Idk if it was a hack or a bug, and it's not really mmo at all, but I never get to share this story.

COD MW3 FOR THE WII. I had it, played it, enjoyed it. Say what you will, being both one of the shittiest CODs on the shittiest system, with n64 graphics the only thing keeping it running sanely. The motion controls were very fluid and fun.

But anyways, the bug.
So basically, either someone hacked, or a very ironic glitch caused the game servers to only play the map LOCKDOWN. People were calling it the Lockdown Loop. Every game mode, all day. And it lasted for MONTHS. I just ended up quitting the game.
>>
>>336395516
>vac hacking
If it wasn't for this, I'd be a pure angel who never does bad things in vidyagaems.

I got an one week ban as a slap on the wrist and that was it
>>
>>336398964
when did this happen?
and why has MW3 wii lived so long? why are people still playing it right now? why do they not play better games?
>>
>>336395302

>Isn't there some ridiculous steam figures floating around showing that ruskies make up less than 10% of steam's population but are responsible for 50% of all VAC bans?

Thats cause they just shit in games in general so they gotta use hacks n shit.
>>
>>336392161
>Friend has GTA 4 for PC
>go online and some kids have a huge ramp
>started somewhere high in the skybox and you just drive your happy ass down til the jump
>friend opens his trainer and spawns some fire trucks to block the jump
>makes them unmovable
>cue young Mexican kids screaming at us as their characters go splat against the fire trucks
>>
>>336399449
At least 3 or 4 years ago maybe. Memories are fuzzy.
And the game has a fun charm thanks to the motion control aiming.
Also don't underestimate the brand power of COD. Also poor kids who have the wii cuz its the cheapest console.
>>
>>336374142
>tfw present at the fally massacre
>>
>>336385474
>en.m.wikipedia
>m
i want all phone posting faggots to be permabanned and phone posting to be disabled a week after we ban a few hundred thousand of you apes
>>
>>336396184
I think some of those guys were also responsible for PSU's eventual collapse (though it wasn't doing too hot anyway).
Still, fuck those niggers. I miss that game.
>>
>>336394281
>being so young you dont remember the multiple YEARS of glitched stones of jordan being available in legit online d2 ladder play
>>
>>336398175
*nightwish starts playing*
>>
File: 1461765868799.gif (489 KB, 497x373) Image search: [Google]
1461765868799.gif
489 KB, 497x373
>>336399998
They've been growing over the past few years. Come 2019, they'll be the majority.
>>
>>336376163

I loved getting on the trolley with one other person and jumping off at the last second so theyre stuck by themself\
>>
>>336400298
>I miss that game.
Me too, I only got into it in like the last month that it was open.
>>
>>336374142
as a player in it: eve online is basically continually upping the bar for destroying other people's stuff in creative ways. Though it isn't really exploiting since it's considered a normal/acceptable way to make isk
>>
File: 1440922637487.jpg (33 KB, 622x276) Image search: [Google]
1440922637487.jpg
33 KB, 622x276
>fally massacre was ten years ago
>>
>>336400651
yo what's the update on that big war that people heard about for literally two days and then nothing. The recent one with everyone backing out of that SA alliance
>>
>>336397313
No, they don't, unless they're already several months behind as is. Most companies have an upper limit of "Go fuck yourself" that you will not breach.

Source: Career CSA and loving it.
>>
>>336388662
Fuck man

I'll always regret not getting in on that RMAH. So many of my friends made thousands off of running bots.
>>
File: 1462124339895.jpg (301 KB, 911x930) Image search: [Google]
1462124339895.jpg
301 KB, 911x930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIsDkR6sgrU
>>
>>336399998
Some of us leave our houses anon. We have jobs. A life.
>>
File: 1409100623997.jpg (32 KB, 538x350) Image search: [Google]
1409100623997.jpg
32 KB, 538x350
>>336398175
>>336400481
>>336401000

Good memories
>>
I doubt many know of it, but I used to play the shit out of Endless Online. It was a pretty basic MMO and had a lot of people using speed hacks to move and attack faster. Didn't even take long to do. I remember I sold one of my accounts that had an invisible character model for 4mil gold which was decent before gold/item duping went out of control and ruined the economy before admins could fix it and bloated everything up to insane prices. Dunno if it's even active anymore.

the invisible character was pretty fun though. They had an Arena where you could fight other people where it was a 1 hit kill in a square arena. You could only hit in the four cardinal directions so most people camped in corners or if people were speed hacking they'd kill people before they could react.

I'd just sneak up on players and KO them while invisible. Some players brought up a player map that'd show you locations of players on a grid to counter me but it wasn't that effective
>>
>>336386118
Former WAR player here.
I was hit by the billing thing. Charged my account something like 23 times, overdrafting it. Thankfully random CSR lady from my bank was super nice and understanding, and reversed the charges and waived the overdraft.

I loved that game, but holy fuck Mythic was incompetent. At everything.

Also, WarBuddy... Don't actually know if such a thing existed, or if it was just a case of bad netcode + bad connections + bad players who need something to blame on dying.
It is certainly possible that it existed though. Never really saw any definitive proof however.
>>
>>336400393

Nope, i got into D2 multiplayer a bit late. That is why i dont recall this shit. I need to dig in that item archive for this stuff...
>>
>>336374054
>black robed
I had a friend who was black robed and it ruined him
they never recovered his account
>>
>>336374054
Now I have something to post when people make "What games can I get BLACKED in?" threads.
>>
>>336395516
I remember a similar exploit with wow screenshots, people could hack your account just from you posting a screenshot somewhere online.

It actually happened to me during wotlk and when I got my account back it was filled with free shit and maxed professions.
>>
>gaiaonline zomg mmo
>ok fun
>that one boss you could grind for ez moni
>whole game deleted by staff because of an exploit they found but no one found
>>
>>336403460
Pretty sure WarBuddy only existed as a way to get piss poor players (i.e those who need to hack in the first place) to pay some guy money, even though the software did nothing/very little.

I played WAR from early beta until the second round of server merges, and can't recall seeing any obvious hacking, only glitches/bugs (some of which were fucking hilarious, like the one which forced my shammy to randomly one-shot everybody standing anywhere near me, whether or not they were friendly).
>>
For about a year I was able to play Anarchy Online for free by messing with the monthly subscription boxes on the website, tricking the system into giving me tons of free months

I don't remember how exactly I did it
>>
>>336388662
>tfw i'm one of those no life autist faggots that could have been there for this historical moment and easily gotten thousands of free dollars through rigorous reptition and exploitation
>tfw i skipped diablo 3 because it looked like trash
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 800x600
In Dragon Raja 2003 int server they hacked all GM accounts on the first day the new GMs had been appointed. Then they proceeded to use overpowered GM characters in the game war and to PK. The game was a hackfest at this point anyway.
>>
>>336405206
That game was so fucking broken. I remember on launch day, you could basically predict when the server would reboot itself (roughly 20 mins from memory). Right before it did that, you'd "save" stuff to your bank, which seemed to force an update on that, but didn't on your chrs invent. Server reboots, your chrs invent got rolled back, but the contents of your bank didn't. I spent more time duping shit than playing - mostly bags of a rare drop ring which gave your chr skill points directly, once every 24 hours, which were later removed as drops (I never did run out of those things before quitting about 6 months later).

You didn't even need speed hacks with a Fixer. You just debuffed your run speed beyond a certain point, then it hit the max number for the variable, which was pretty much only out-done by teleporting directly to a location.
>>
>>336405932
They also occasionally hacked the game BBS-style website too and put in fake news there.
>>
pg hack on maplestory, it was the first hack to really level you up way faster than anything else seen before, and then the advancement scroll hack wich let you get retardedly good gameshark ass weapons which seriously broke the game for everyone that did it

before that long ago there was the orbis glitch which leveled you up fast as fuck but wasnt nearly as good as pg hack or the scroll hack but it was just a glitch

i could go on and on about maplestory hacks and glitches but that's all for now
>>
>>336406101
goddamn, now i wanna play AO again
>>
this thread deserves a bump
>>
>>336399449
It's one of the few wii games with the multiplayer still up
>>
>>336409460
COD4, black ops, MW3 and goldeneye still function normally because they used activsion servers instead of normal gamespy servers.
but every other wii game is dead unless you redirect servers with homebrew.
strange stuff.
i'm so bored i might go pirate MW3 and see who still plays it
>>
Why are Russians are so notorious as online hackers in games and not the Chinese? Or the Chinese just remain low key better?
>>
>>336410128
chinks just sell gold, not hack.
>>
>>336410779
Chinese sell gold, BRs bot, Pinnoys camp, Russians hack, Japs break game mechanics?
>>
>>336410128
Chinese were the main hackers in some games in the early 2000's. I think we just don't have to deal with them as often now aside of gold sellers.
>>
Not a very crazy story, but way back when it was one of the big three I used to play Asheron's Call. Very few items or spells had big flashy special effects attached to them since PCs at the time would struggle with massive frame drops in densely populated areas. There was one common item that did have an effect added: the torch. This had a little glow ball attached to the end of it you could see for miles away, and when in draw-distance of the torch it would increase the brightness of all polygons in a zone and give out some ray effects from it's center.

So one day I decided to go to a random empty newbie town and just start buying thousands of torches from the NPC vendors. I filled my inventory and dropped them all one-by-one until until all I could see was a totally white environment and the sky. I did this until I started getting frame drops and left the town. Other players wandering by saw the long distance glow ball shine covering the town so they started to wander over to see what it was. As soon as they got within draw distance, they would immediately freeze up and then shortly disconnect.

The town was locked down for about two hours before a GM wiped the dropped torches and started PMing everyone in the region demanding to know who did it. This is pretty much the only thing I can remember about Asheron's Call.
>>
>>336375515
Apparently they used the plague event for actual studies. I don't know what kind, but it's amusing to think about.

That was hell on earth. Great fun, hope they do another kind of event like that one day.
>>
>>336412020
You rascal.
>>
>>336412020
Reminded me of this.
http://uothief.com/nonchad/ep0313.html
>>
Wasn't there a virus in WoW that could spread and killed everyone that got infected by it?
And people carried the virus to be spread everywhere with their pets and there were quarantine areas and shit?
>>
>>336374054

not really on the scale of anything, but for a few days it was possible to kill friendly npcs and unflagged players in WoW with fire nova totems. bank toons beware
>>
>>336413892
In this video
>>336402414
>>
>>336395516
Dont forget the Trade thing hacking.

Turns out to put a item on this thing you had to put it, and people would be able to see the item, AND YOUR USERMANE, not your character name.

And since this is a children game the passwords were easy as fuck, wasn't a problem till people started to make automated cracks for it.
>>
>>336402467
Then get the fuck out, why are you still here?
>>
>>336388154
It was Lord British himself.
Essentially, the event crashed, and when everything got back up & working, said flag got disabled without anyone realizing it.
Then some guy set him on fire, thinking it wouldn't work, but it did.
>>
>>336414606
What is even better is that he pick-pocketed the fireball scroll from someone in the crowd.
>>
>>336414606
Didn't Lord British save face by joking later on that he forgot to wear his fire resistant pants that day and then made a pants item that gave you fire resistance?

I dunno I wasn't there, I just remember reading up on it a bit and seeing that item on a wiki.
>>
Lets talk about games that got hacked to death meanwhile we are on it.

>GunZ.
Hackers were a pain on the ass, from god mode to game freezing, also lag invulnerability.
IJJI just stopped giving a fuck and closed the game.
Who was behind it? it was only a single hacker called "The Witch", and casually he was Brazilian.

>Combat Arms
Hackers ruled this game for 2-3 years till Nexon put his man pants and opened a HQ in brazil to sue hack coders, and worked really well, like the best idea i have ever seen a publisher do.

This game had really interesting hacks:
Knife to airstrike, god mode, OPK, telekill, infinite ammo, lifetaker, weapon summoning, dev weapons.
Also basic hacks like wallhack/chams, no recoil, speedhacks, perfect accuracy, aimbot, etc.

The engine got literally destroyed that most stuff is done server side now.
>>
>>336414069
that was longer than a few days, i did it a shitload and got suspended for 3 days.
>>
>>336378663
>Corrupting the memory cards of other people
>Exploit was found in-game to dump any Gamecube game in your disc tray as a ISO file you can transfer to your PC
Really? What the hell did I miss?
>>
>>336415194
Combat Arms was fun to dick around in.
>Run into a corner with your knife and you could walk into walls
>Proceed to shoot enemies through walls and they can't hit you without doing the same glitch.
>Hacks let your perspective fly into the sky and you could shoot people on the ground from there.
>Hacks also had a Maplestory-tier vac where it pulled everyone client-side to straight in front of you and your crosshair was on a headshot, so people would instantly die when you left clicked.
>Had a hack where it warped you to people with your knife and one shot them.
The game itself was garbage when played normally as well, items that took like fifty matches so you could buy them for a whole week, and permanent purchases cost real money, shooting felt like you were fighting the lag, and running around felt like you could run for two seconds before losing all stamina.
>>
>>336414953
yeah, i don't remember exactly but he took it pretty well at the time. It's mentioned now as emergent gameplay and how you often can't predict shit - and often shouldn't try.
Raph koster has a book of articles that mention it frequently, pretty good read if anyone gives a fuck (you don't) regarding designing games, gameplay, sandbox stuff, etc.
>>
>>336415587
You had to git gud with cheap weapons, that is why UMP45, M4A1 and L9 were so popular.

This game had the best zombie mode i have ever seen yet.
>>
>>336415486
you can also play pirate games by loading an ISO located on your PC using PSO and the Broadband Adapter on the same network
>>
>>336415486
http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/full-guide-to-gamecube-backup-booting.284262/
>>
Black Wednesday
>>
>>336415194

>All those Combat Arms hacks

All that rage when hackers would opk and then crash the room after you kicked them.

Can't believe I spent $100+ on that game.
Or that I have nostalgia for it.
>>
>>336377707
One year a glitch was as simple as putting -1 in an input box. It gave you max money on the spot. Maplestory is just that shit.
>>
>>336416521
>Room crasher
How i could forget about that fucking thing.

I spent $350 on it on 6 years, i think it was worth it, it was a fun game.
>>
During the NGE on Star Wars Galaxies, there was an exploit to give yourself unlimited specialization points (similar to talent points in WoW).

You reset your spec points, unplug your router which would give you about 30 seconds to click all of the talent tree boxes. You would allow the game to disconnect, rejoin the server and you would have max points in every spec tree.

The exploit wasn't limited to that, you could essentially dupe commendations that were used to get pvp gear when they released the Rustess pvp zone.
>>
>>336417283
NGE itself is worse than any of those exploits though.
>>
File: 1413416266698.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1413416266698.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>336378663
>mfw these cucks are literally the reason PSO is dead in the west
Why were people such dicks during the mid 2000s internet era? Not saying shit like this doesn't go down nowadays but their was some seriously devilish shit being done.
>>
Does training mobs count? I remember training krayt dragons into cities in SWG, and training that entire crawler dungeon area in rolanberry hills in FFXI. Actually I think I did more training mobs than playing games for a while.
>>
>>336417529
Because the people who are (legally) on 4chan now were once like 12 year old brats back then.
>>
>>336374142
>idr

Well, that's a new one. I wish all these acronyms would fucking go away.
>>
>>336417687
i don't remember.
>>
>>336417529
Who knew I could get nostalgia from a monkey with a shotgun
>>
>>336374054
i think that'd be the guy who got 300,000 dollars worth of in game money on eve online by exploiting the bank system; but that's not all, he used half the money to buy himself the biggest ship ingame and the other half was to put a bounty on his own head, he then disconected, never went back to the game
>>
>>336417758
I figured the meaning, it's just that all this, idk, ikr, af shit does nothing but make the user look like an empty headed moron. It's annoying.
>>
>>336378663
good old FSOD
>>
>>336417529
the game was running happily in japan before they let the americans on

after that all servers in future games became region locked
>>
>>336417687
Know asl?

I just recently found out it mean age, sex, location and was often use for aol. I personally never got into messaging though. Some of the acronyms are old as fuck, you just never heard them before.
>>
>>336418002
EOP is annoying too.
>>
>>336387986

probably gave him a t-shirt
>>
File: 1422679022481.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1422679022481.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>336417960
Damn shame because even without hackers NA the severs were a shithole.
>>
>>336382591
>>336382591
>>336382591
>>336382591
>>336382591
This is literally the perfect moment in MMO history. It can't be trumped. Totally unanticipated assassination of an iconic character who sin't supposed to die.
>>
>>336387986
>>336418241
Last I heard was that Zezima was working at Jagex now, was that true?
>>
What was that WoW exploit where you could lead boss characters to a town and they'd kill all the players?
>>
FFXIV has some fun ones, like hackers being able to secretly force your character to buy their shit on the market board if you're within interaction range of a board. There was also a minor one that happened recently of gil spammers logging in as level zero copies of existing characters.
>>
>>336397313
>>336401453
I had my electricity cut off after I moved into a new apartment and made all the necessary paperwork online. A month or so in they cut it and when I called them their system had fucked up. They had my info but for some reason the info did not reach the guys who were responsible for checking if electricity is being used properly. Not exactly the same case but it does happen.
>>
>>336376163
>>336378854
Don't you need to be over 18 to post here?
>>
>>336398175
>mfw I barely escaped logging on that day do to a friend telling me to not log on and I had a nightmare beforehand.
>>
Counter-Strike
>>
Roblox by a user with the name "1x1x1x1"
>>
>>336382591
Holy shit this.
I remember Garriott talking about it in "Replay: The history of video games"
It seemed fun as fuck.
>>
>>336418345
autism
>>
>>336398175
> tell them to bank their items,
dont even kick the players who are killing everyone

???????????????????????????????
>>
File: CT9Y4qSWcAAGa30.jpg (113 KB, 600x472) Image search: [Google]
CT9Y4qSWcAAGa30.jpg
113 KB, 600x472
not the most devastating or anything but still fun
>>
>>336419489
>Pool is closed forever
>Raids are unorganized as fuck now so they suck
>Habbo is tumblr hugbox now
>>
>>336418745
People who played Toontown as a preteen would be in their mid 20s right now.
>>
>>336418325
that's hilarious
>>
Serenity Now
>>
File: oinkers.jpg (9 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
oinkers.jpg
9 KB, 250x249
Gmod has had some pretty gnarly ones (though it isn't really an MMO unless you count DarkRP.)

Since Gmod natively supports Expression 2 and LUA, it was prone to all kinds of bullshit

>The Gman Virus
>Hackers found way to inject this virus into servers, infecting everyone who joined
>would make gmod default load a custom map that was a gmod screamer
>used LUA to open up browser web pages and load porn
>Used an E2 exploit to open and close your disk tray if you had one

and then there was that one from a few years ago

>a worm like virus that would spread on servers via infected players who had no idea
>would take over your steam overlay
>would start making you send steam messages that said *cough* to all your friends
>then it would change your steam avatar and make your profile private

fucking brutal.
>>
>>336419489
All this did was bring a huge wave of retarded newfags to 4chan.
>>
>>336419489
I remember when Habbo originally released in Finland you could hexedit your character to change its appearance and with that you could get stuff like glasses and sunglasses that were otherwise unavailable in the game.

It wasn't just a local effect either but actually carried over to the game servers and you could see other people who had done the same. I remember there being clans that if you got in taught you how to do it.
>>
>>336420436
I remember running a server on that day, fun shit.
>>
>>336377707
We had one like 4 months ago ish when reboot dropped where you could get max mesos/ nx on any server. I should check to see if Im rich on that game since I used it to make all my gear perfect.
>>
I love these kinds of stories in MMOs

Here is one from Age of Wushu that is pretty good

http://pastebin.com/UYRirNrj
>>
>>336420436

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMxWk8r1sE

I knew the guy who did a bunch of shit like this.

He was a cool dude and didn't actually do anything malicious. I am pretty sure some of the more major shit chrisaste and azuisleet did were based on stuff he discovered.

He got his facepunch account banned after replying to Gary with a gif of him disabling the anticheat in Garrysmod with a memory editor after Gary said it was impossible.
>>
>>336419489
Man, 4chan predicted and simulated Mlack Lilves Matter nearly a decade before it started
>>
>>336420872
this is awesome
>>
>>336376206
Get a load of this tryhard.
>>
>>336374432
>>336374054

I remember some more Mabinogi exploits.

The best one was probably the Paladin Uprising. In the game, players who completed a (very hard upon release) quest could transform into Paladin form once per 30 minutes or so. This gave them a significant power boost. for a minute or two.

There was a bug however. Players in paladin form could target all players regardless of area or alliance. The result was complete genocide in most population centers, everyone avoiding paladins and paladin VS paladin PVP. Pretty hilarious overall.

One more bug later on, albeit shortlived : The game features titles you can earn by accomplishing things. You can only wear one at a time and it also grants you some nice stat bonuses. During that day, whenever you picked up an item, your title bonus would stack over itself, with no upper limit. We called it the superman glitch, as everyone could become a demigod within mere minutes of dropping trash and picking it back up.
>>
>>336420872
This story seems like it's some kind of sequel to another story...
Do you happen to know where I can read that first story, by any chance?
>>
What ever happened to Mabinogi General?
I know it died, but I thought it would at least be back for G20.
>>
File: jfgbdjfg.png (310 KB, 718x461) Image search: [Google]
jfgbdjfg.png
310 KB, 718x461
I remember that one time where a couple of hackers managed to kill all the NPCS in mabi so you couldn't repair or anything and it lasted for about 2 weeks.Another time where two elf faggots that had instant res and other bullshit started attacking everyone in the town of dunbarton. The cool part was having the whole town rally up and fuck them over.
>>
>>336423464
It got completely obliterated by shitposters. People started spamming baby babble, "dead game", "just let the thread die", etc on top of other old shitposting memes like brown and the list, and eventually people stopped giving a fuck. I'm pretty sure a fair amount of Mabigen players still play but nobody bothers with trying to bring the general back. I've tried a few times and it always ends after 10-15 shitposts and one guy saying "why doesn't anyone bump the thread".
>>
>>336422242
I remember the days of Tir market area being nothing but piles of dead characters. Also 10k dyes. Those were fun times.
>>
>>336416598
>I spent $1100 on maplestory on 10 years
I wonder how other than $300 in cubes.
Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.