[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else kind of disappointed with the new game? I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11
File: rcps4_main.jpg (72 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
rcps4_main.jpg
72 KB, 640x360
Anyone else kind of disappointed with the new game? I can't really put my finger on it but for some reason it just seems shallow compared to the rest.

Anyway Ratchet and Clank thread. Discuss favorite games, weapons, characters and so on.
>>
>>336369548
The fact that it's based on one of the worst animated movies of all time might have something to do with it.
>>
I enjoyed it but I platinumed it and did anything you can possibly do in like 16-17 hours of gameplay or some shit so it's kind of disappointing
>>
>>336369948
>The fact that it's based on one of the worst animated movies of all time might have something to do with it.

Ratchet and Clank is based off of Delgo?
>>
Is the original HD collection for PS3 good?
>>
File: 1421517770791.jpg (297 KB, 790x764) Image search: [Google]
1421517770791.jpg
297 KB, 790x764
>>336369948
Worst of all time?!

Jesus Christ, I was bored out of my skull but that is a GROSS exaggeration.
I've got a feeling you have a new "Worst Thing Ever" every week, right?
>>
>>336370308

They're okay, but they have some audio and visual bugs in 'em.
>>
>>336370413
>>336370152
The R&C movie definitely ONE OF the worst mainstream animated movies of all time. I didn't say it was THE worst.

>>336370308
Yeah. There are a few bugs but nothing gamebreaking.
>>
>>336370904
Not the two you're replying to but I'm glad I didn't see it. Just watching the cutscenes in the game that are from the movie I can tell I would have regretted it.
>>
>>336371235
I saw it for free because I got a free ticket from pre-ordering the game. I still regretted it.
>>
>>336369548
I definitely feel the same way. It is way too sterile compared to even the future games. Characters are shit now, humor is shit now, not enough old weapons were brought back.

It just lost it's charm and it isn't nearly a creative as any of the other games in the series, I know it is a remake but still.

I have been following this series since the first game, and I have to say it is my least favorite mainline RaC game. Honestly even Into the Nexus or Quest for Booty were a hell of a lot better.

It is an OKAY game I guess, but the only thing actually good about it are the graphics. This may be the first time I was disappointed with the series.
>>
>>336369548
>pre order game
>start on hard mode
>actually a bit difficult
>get bouncer for 100 bolts on novalis
>die maybe 3 more times in the entire game
They shouldn't have made it pre order but it's still so fun
>>
I've only played Tools of Destruction.

Hows this game compare to that?
>>
>>336371820
>finish hard mode
>get into ng+ and fully upgrade the ryno
>beat every boss in literally 10 seconds and walk through the tougher enemy dense areas holding down r1

definitely could have done with some weapon balancing
>>
>>336371867
Much better.

This one has fewer weapons, no armor or ship customization aside from a few paint jobs, and is much shorter. Graphics are great though.
>>
>>336372152
Meant to say tools of destruction is better.
>>
>>336372078
It's the goddamn RYNO, man. It's always OP as fuck, that's the whole thing about it.
>>
>>336372078
Is this your first ratchet and clank game
>>
>>336372243
Take solace in the fact that it seemed like an alright bit of sarcasm.
>>
File: Ratchet_and_clank_gc_image.jpg (55 KB, 256x363) Image search: [Google]
Ratchet_and_clank_gc_image.jpg
55 KB, 256x363
Best game.

Best weapons.

Best armor.

Best ship.

Best worlds.

>you will never play it for the first time again
>>
>In game cutscenes aren't even animated
>30 fps in a series known for better
>Constant chatter from Ratchet and other characters so the kiddies know what to do and don't get bored.
>Patronisingly slow explanations of new concepts
>Average voice work in a series known for fantastic voice work
>Voice doubles for the bigger celbrities actually give better performances than the movie actors
>Generic orchestral soundtrack robbing the planets of any identity
>Constant STORYTELLING segments slowing down gameplay
>Humour feels overly sterile, lacking wit or punch
>Less planets, and the ones that have returned have less content in them despite sharing the same overall design.

Yeah it was pretty disappointing. Playable, but disappointing.

I'm currently replaying the original and it's just so much better in terms of tone. It's well written and snappy without feeling overly sanitised, it didn't condescend to you, characters were silent outside of cutscenes, Ratchet actually had personality and the facial animations and expressiveness of the characters were fantastic.

The only thing the reboot has going for it are the visuals and even then I would much rather look at the originals. How did they step so far backwards?
>>
where is the arena from ever other R&C game
>>
>>336376060
You forgot best music. Although UYA could give a run for it's money.
>>
>>336377719
There isn't one, I guess their excuse is that there wasn't one in the first game.

Also
>hear there's another collect-a-thon like the crystals in GC
>fuck yeah I loved spending hours roaming around searching for those things
>instead of a comfy desert or ice world where you collect crystals it's an uncomfy lava world where you collect fucking brains
>find every single one within an hour
>>
>>336369548

I enjoyed it allot. Gotta say that it was allot more fun than the first one, and I love the shit out of one.
>>
>>336371483
fuck off
>>
is this lots of people first Ratchet and Clank game because i see a lot of bitching
>>
>>336382397
Huh? What is your issue? Why did you even make this post?
>>
>>336382593
That doesn't make sense. I'm bitching about it because I've played all the other games and this one isn't as good.
>>
I don't understand why they left out so many things that improved the sequels.

>armor sets
>weapon mods
>ship customization
>space exploration

Why? Did they only give us one suit of armor and ship because they want the game to be accurate with the movie? Literally who gives a shit about the movie?
>>
>>336370413
This is an accurate representation of bateman's personality and the way he expresses himself.

A+
>>
>>336383472

Since the game uses cutscenes from the movie, it would look jarring for him to be wearing Owtheedgium Armor one minute and the standard Ranger getup in a another.

Plus, It's probably easier to balance enemies without armor than with.
>>
>>336377590
>only two weapons brings back from the original
>not even best ones
>>
>>336382884
i have too and you sound like a bitch
>>
>>336383964
>Since the game uses cutscenes from the movie, it would look jarring for him to be wearing Owtheedgium Armor one minute and the standard Ranger getup in a another.

This is why I wish they just hadn't made a movie in the first place. They could have given us a proper reboot/re-imagining with all the extra shit that made the sequels great but because it has to be tied to a movie we get a shallow game.
>>
>>336385129

On the bright side, the game is performing spectacularly and we will probably get a new, full length Ratchet next.
>>
>>336369548
As others have said many times, it feels shallow cuz most of the assets were recycled from Tools of Destruction to save money, same with the film
>>
Deadlocked>>>>every other game
>>
>>336369548
levels are smaller.
characters from original cut or reduced personality/quirks
jokes are more childish/mundane
whole levels cut.
the large conflict between quark and r&c is missing, and the conflict between ratchet and clank is not there either.
(As a result, we are missing some of the best levels)

I did come to like the collectable cards though, was a neat idea - except when playing challenge mode, I had a full set and was bored of collecting the same ol shit.

Ryno in this game is garbage. Bring back ryno2
>>
>>336385571
2>deadlocked>1>3>>>>>>size matters>all the ps3 ones>>>>>>> remake>>>>>>secret agent clank
>>
>tfw don't remember anything from ToD

Actually all I remember is Takyon being dealt away too fast and that veldin like planet you return to. What is everyone's thoughts on that game?
>>
>>336385823
best of the ps3 ones. (Altho perhaps a bit short)
>>
>>336370308
Occasional cutscene and audio bugs

I was pretty okay with it for the most part, but it was a huge bummer when I got to Todano in 2; the tour guide doesn't make any of his speeches. He stops at each rocket for a second or two, turns around, then continues along the path until the cycle repeats. I used to spend hours following tourists around and smacking squirrels with weapons I otherwise wouldn't use
>>
>>336385814
Nah
>>
File: Fleau_du_Scorpion.png (231 KB, 873x416) Image search: [Google]
Fleau_du_Scorpion.png
231 KB, 873x416
>>336385571
Definitely not, though I did thoroughly enjoy it. Also it had the most satisfying weapon in the entire series.
>>
>>336369948
Ahh, the kneejerk reactionaries have locked onto the R&C movie now I see.

>b-but the normie film critics didn't like it!!
because 99% of them didn't play the game.

Insomniac's biggest mistake was making this a feature film in theaters, when really it should've been like $7.99 on Netflix.
>>
>>336370308
Ignore anyone who says it isn't. The originals look really bad by modern standards. The new team who revamped it did their best with very old assets, game looks fantastic. The cheevos aren't too hard either.

The visual bugs people are mentioning are extremely sparse, and mainly an unintended side effect of 'fixing' glitches from the PS2 games that the original devs left on purpose for their own reasons.

Like for example, you aren't supposed to be able to see the square outline of the Holo Shield texture, and some shadows were fucked up cuz of some "shadow volume" glitch they used originally.
>>
Going Commando > Deadlocked Co-Op >> Up Your Arsenal

I don't understand how people say UYA is the best
>>
>>336386594
>>b-but the normie film critics didn't like it!!
>because 99% of them didn't play the game.

How the fuck does playing the game make it a better movie? If anything it makes it even worse since the characterization is dumbed down compared to the game, which was already shallow enough as it is. Plus the action scenes in the movie are boring as fuck whereas actually playing the action in the game is fun.
>>
File: Carbonox_armor.png (448 KB, 510x557) Image search: [Google]
Carbonox_armor.png
448 KB, 510x557
>>336376060
>Best armor.

my nigga
>>
File: foodfight-big.jpg (172 KB, 910x712) Image search: [Google]
foodfight-big.jpg
172 KB, 910x712
>>336369948
you dont watch a lot of movies do you
>>
>>336386972
I'm probably going to pick it up after I finish the reboot. What games does it include? Is deadlocked in there as well?
>>
>>336387113
>How the fuck does playing the game make it a better movie?
I felt the game lacked a lot of crucial plot points and character interactions to keep the game's pace fast. So when I saw the movie, questions I had from playing the game were answered, which made it slightly (SLIGHTLY) more satisfying.

As I said, it should've been a digital release on some other service, definitely not worth $20 3D movie ticket
>>
>>336370308
Yes. I'm mad games still emulate like shit.
>>
>>336387161
Foodfight is at least fascinating in how bad it is. I was thoroughly entertained while watching that tremendous piece of shit. R&C is obviously technically much better but it's boring and tiresome.
>>
>>336387301

Original, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal

There's a Deadlocked HD port too but that one's buggier than the HD Collection.
>>
>>336387301
Original trilogy, although I wish Deadlocked just for the sake of having all four PS2 games in one place.
>>
>>336387153
Every "end-game" armor since has been a disappointment design-wise.
>>
>>336369948
It's not even the worst this year.
>>
>>336387301
No, from what I've gathered in the R&C dev commentary playthroughs, Deadlocked isn't exactly super popular within Insomniac. So they threw a really shitty ""HD"" version of that in free with Full Frontal Assault, which was also itself pretty shit.
>>
File: ratchet.gif (54 KB, 156x267) Image search: [Google]
ratchet.gif
54 KB, 156x267
>>336387672
well yeah, you can't really improve on PERFECTION
>>
>>336387497
>>336387668
>>336387697

That's a shame, despite it not being a "proper" R&C game I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>336370308
It's good but I have a weird bug where the helmets are way too big for Ratchet's head. Did anyone else have this? I never hear anyone mention it. The games run great though, if I remember correctly they were 60fps.
>>
>>336388225
The helmet thing was only in cutscenes by the way.
>>
File: 2360258-sly_collection_ntsc.png (2 MB, 1299x1445) Image search: [Google]
2360258-sly_collection_ntsc.png
2 MB, 1299x1445
>Ratchet & Clank Collection
>Jak and Daxter Collection
>The Sly Collection

Do I need anything else until 2017? Because
>>
>>336388109
Lots of people enjoyed it, I think they just felt like the concept didn't pan out the way they wanted it to.

The logic behind making it was

>arena levels are among the most popular parts of the first three games
>let's just make an entire game around the arena
>oh wait this isn't really that engaging if there is nothing but fire and lava the whole time huh
>clank does nothing
the only good parts were the bantz (insomniac used to be so good at writing bantz) and Big Al.
>>
>>336388225
>>336388345
Is it just the helmets or ratchet's entire head? Because iirc there was a "big head" cheat so that may have something to do with it.
>>
>>336388374
nope you're pretty much set
>>
>>336389236
The helmet floats above his head
>>
>>336389236
Just the helmet. It looked pretty funny sometimes but I wish it would have been fixed.
>>
>>336389343
That's strange. Probably nothing to do about it but at least it's only in cutscenes.
>>
File: image.png (361 KB, 827x652) Image search: [Google]
image.png
361 KB, 827x652
>>336369548
>Tfw you had high expectations after playing the game
>Tfw the film was only a over glorified cutscene complications with a small amount of PS references

Also, the cinema I went to had more then like 5 people seeing the film. Probably because it was bank holiday Monday and films like Zootopia had been sold out of tickets. The cinema didn't even play it in full screen, and a little girl kept slurping on her fucking drink even though she finished it.

At least the person at the ticket booth liked my Smash Bros shirt.
>>
File: 1462304201958.jpg (58 KB, 700x711) Image search: [Google]
1462304201958.jpg
58 KB, 700x711
>up late playing Going Commando one night
>come across a random teleporter on top of a fountain
>it takes me to the insomniac museum
>the place is fucking huge
>spend hours wandering around getting lost and interacting with all the cool shit

I tried going back forever until I finally found out that the teleporter only works at a certain time. To this day it's the greatest secret/easter egg I've ever come across in any game.
>>
>>336390445
Meanwhile it takes 10 minutes to fully explore the Insomniac Garage in the new one.
>>
See I reckon if they'd made a movie with the old writers and snappy dialogue it would have been great. They made a movie at the wrong time, I think.
>>
>>336390562
Where is it?
>>
>>336391078
It's in the garage you start in at the beginning of the game but you to beat the game first
>>
>>336390786
I think the biggest problem was hiring incompetent people who made nothing but garbage movies. I'd understand if it were Insomniac funding the movie from their own pockets but this wasn't the case. I mean, if fucking LEGO can have a good movie then so can Ratchet and Clank. You just need to hire people who care.

Though I guess I also agree that this movie is like 10 years too late.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.