[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: v-triggered.jpg (34 KB, 438x440) Image search: [Google]
v-triggered.jpg
34 KB, 438x440
>>
Bravo From
>>
>>336338848
No hurtbox?
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 600x516
>>
Who cares nerd, the game is fun.
>>
>>336340082
Pretty sure the faint green box is the hurtbox. I've grabbed him out of that move with Laura's AA grab before. 90% of the time though I freeze up like a deer in headlights and just watch it hit me. Same thing with Balrog's overhead dash attack in 4. All the time in the world to counter these slow attacks and all I can do is stare wide eyed and watch it happen.
>>
>hitboxes
>square

I realize full blown collision detection for the character models would be too much.

Still, why can't they at least use different shapes when appropriate?
>>
>>336338848
he looks so shit
>>
>>336340370
I think its cause at a competitive level it actually makes things more technical
>>
>>336340370
Because it would create weird interactions where a move hits differently depending on where it is. MvC3 does in fact use circular hitboxes but everything in that game does so it's fine.
>>
>>336340529
lmao

no it's because capcom is lazy and square hitboxes work fine most of the time
>>
>>336340370
Squares are far easier for a computer to calculate collisions between than circles.

Anyway, people who can't just fucking jab this move are retarded. So slow.
>>
>>336340643
They used hitboxes that matched the actual model for the SFIV alpha and everyone who tried it thought it was shit apparently. I remember seth killian saying something to that extent.
>>
>>336340370
Collision detection in fighting games must be calculated swiftly to avoid increasing latency. Rectangles are by far the most efficient.
>>
>>336340802
That's why everyone's hands are fucking enormous.
>>
>>336338848
>grabing move attack box
>>
>>336340939
no that's just the art style
>>
>>336340082
You can hit that with anything if i'm not mistaken, at least the normal versions of the attack.
>>
>>336340370
keep it simple, stupid
>>
File: Karate hitbox.png (275 KB, 911x357) Image search: [Google]
Karate hitbox.png
275 KB, 911x357
>>336340370
They do.
Most of the time it's not appropriate and you end up with shit like MVC3 hitboxes there people are crossing up on the ground and character specific combos.

This isn't exclusive to Capcom you know.
>>
File: GWxV08u.png (71 KB, 710x510) Image search: [Google]
GWxV08u.png
71 KB, 710x510
>>336340643
This more to your liking?
>>
>>336340664
Did you even watch LPN at NWM? Why didn't you make top 8 at a CPT event this year. Yeah in training room I can neutral jump and punish that shit for free but conditioning plays a huge role in fighting games set and reaction times are ass when you're not given a cue. I can blow up mikas charge HK all day with cannon spike on reaction against players who do it at the same range every time without fail, but good players put there best tools away long enough that you're not looking for them and then you end up freezing up when they pull that tool back out. So many moves in this game suck in a vacuum but fighting games aren't about only pressing safe buttons, sometimes it's about conditioning your opponent not to react because you've got them down backing or walk forward blocking with your safe offense. Mikas charge HK, ex dolphin dive, kens run cancels, Devils reverse, moonsault etc can be blown up but they're not right now. Maybe because the game is still new but there's more to it than that
>>
File: 1421819345005.png (1 MB, 1364x768) Image search: [Google]
1421819345005.png
1 MB, 1364x768
>>336341551
>32000 DOLLARS OF HITBOXES
>>
>>336341551
yes actually, memegirls has amazing hitboxes
>>
>>336341592
Hey a smart post about fighting games on /v/

People really forget that fighting games are very situational, and just really fast where not being spot on at one point can lead to eating a 50% combo
>>
>>336341592
Jabbing Birdie out of his ex dive isn't a matter of not being frozen up, its about recognising what they're going to do after specific setups.

It only works at certain spacing, and a standing jab at those distances will beat out almost every single thing Birdie can do, even his dumb charge attack.

If a player hits you with it once, fine, fall for it, but if you get hit repeatedly by the same gimmick? You're a joke.
>>
>>336341993
>its about recognising what they're going to do after specific setups.
His whole point was that in fighting games you set up various ones to trick people so you can get shit like ex dive off multiple times. The idea is you are meant to trick people
>>
>>336342231
>you can't win or just draw at worst by spamming safe strats
how dare they, maybe this is why fightans get this much shitposting on /v/ (along with capcom going the way of the jew)
>>
>>336341993
He can steer EX dive, there is no specific range.
Now what a good player is going to do is make you scared to hit normals and block, THATS when you eat the dive.

Mix this in with your other tools like armoured forward fierce and overhead and you've got a nice set of mixups.
This is like grappler 101.
>>
File: 1455473264633.jpg (91 KB, 653x691) Image search: [Google]
1455473264633.jpg
91 KB, 653x691
>>336342376
Weirdly with SFV they've become the least jew seeing as everything but some costumes are free now

Ono even said they have some more unannounced single player in the works, and seeing as all gameplay dlc is said to be free even that argument will be out the window at some point
>>
>>336340664
>Squares are far easier for a computer to calculate collisions between than circles.
Actually no, circle-circle intersection is 6 operations while box-box is about 20. Boxes are used because they're a lot more intuitive though.
>>
>people are actually complaining about birdie ITT

He's fucking low tier barely above zangief wtf
>>
>>336341765
out of curiosity, how much do you think hitboxes should cost?
>>
>>336343736
The joke is that they spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on such specific hitboxes when the DLC characters wound up with much less specific and more functional hitboxes.
>>
>>336344083
>ridiculous amount
Please explain, how does it compare to the money normally spent on hitboxes? Any figures for hitbox budgets from known games?
>>
>>336343063
>about 6 operations
Is it fair to count sqrt() as a single operation? Especially on the older arcade hardware square hitboxes are a vestige of?
>>
>>336344773
Just square the radius, no need to call sqrt().
>>
>>336344773
you don't use sqrt at all for circle-circle intersection, you directly compare the squared distance to the squared sum of radii. The square root is only useful if you want to know the actual distance, which isn't needed for intersection tests.

In Capcom/SNK fighting games specifically, you only need the distance for a single thing, which is the physical extent (the pushbox), so you only need it once per frame, which is fine. Everything else is pure intersection tests.

That being said, on old hardware sqrt was usually simply implemented as a precomputed lookup table, so sqrt is still single operation (one lookup).
>>
Is there a game that simply uses the mesh as collision? Like, your actual leg or hand is the hitbox not some invisible square
>>
>>336345296
Only garbage games.
>>
>>336345296
Shadow of the Colossus, interestingly enough. They deemed necessary for the kind of gameplay they were going for.
>>
File: smelly1.jpg (140 KB, 712x480) Image search: [Google]
smelly1.jpg
140 KB, 712x480
>>336338848
You can steer it mid flight by holding forward or back.
Secret tech, don't tell anybody.
>>
>>336340370
>He doesn't know that even with hitboxes it's hard to balance and flush out bugs

It would be hell to use other shapes for that and virtually no difference for the end user
>>
>>336345296
Whoever does this don't have a videgames degree, and frankly you don't want a game made by him.
>>
>>336340370
Skullgirls had the most accurate hitboxes, and that game was utter shit, outside of the art and music. If those two elements had not been good, the game would be completely forgotten by now.
>>
>>336345762
>videgames degree
i wouldn't want to play a game made by anyone with a degree in video games
>>
>>336345050
>>336345254
Thanks for the info, seems quite obvious now that you've told me.
>>
>>336345381
SotC uses it for the colossi but only because of the scale difference. Wander is still three spheres.

>>336345296
First it takes up a lot of resources, because you have to compute the skeletal mesh on CPU or bring it back from the GPU via a compute shader, whereas skeletal meshes are usually purely a vertex shader thing, ie they exist only visually.

Second it's shit for iterating. If you're using the mesh you need your modeler and animator when you want to balance moves, and the balanced version may look less appealing. If you've got hitboxes, well, anyone can drag a box around in an editor, so that makes them a lot easier to tweak.

And box-box collision is blazingly fast compared to any kind of polygon soup collision, which is especially important when you have networking to take into account (which may require you to do 10-15 frames in one for rollbacks).

That being said, as far as 2D games go OMF2097 actually had pixel perfect collisions (using bit masks). Wasn't particularly balanced though.
>>
File: ME KEN U JANE.png (688 KB, 774x566) Image search: [Google]
ME KEN U JANE.png
688 KB, 774x566
>>336345762
>I could tell you why that's a bad idea
>but instead I'll act all uppity without actually adding anything of value
>>
is this another thread where everyone is an inept drooling retard thinking that hitboxes perfectly matching a character's body is how it should be done rather than having full control over the boxes in a way that you can get optimal balance out of it
>>
File: chrome_2016-05-03_08-07-07.png (511 KB, 509x405) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-05-03_08-07-07.png
511 KB, 509x405
>>336340370
Because circular hitboxes do not fucking work and any other shape can be achieved easier with a square.
>>
>>336346274
balance is overrated. Like boxes.
>>
>>336346216
Look one post above you.
>>
why is finding games in SF5 so FUCKING SLOW holy shit
>>
>>336346216
Alrighty then. Know how collision detection works? The position of all relevant hitboxes in the scene are compared between each 'tick' of the game. That's 30 times per second at the very least. Now, when the things you are comparing are squares or circles, there are shortcuts you can take to make these calculations pretty painless. But if the shapes you use are highpoly meshes (which often change shape dynamically too), the complexity of those calculations skyrockets and it's simply not worth it. Possible sure, but that processing power is better spent elsewhere because you can have a good enough approximation with squares anyway.
>>
>>336346673
use fight request, it finds matches way faster
>>
>>336346804
nigga thats the FUCKING SLOW part
there is no fast matchmaking for fucks sake
battle lounge doesnt even show you bars/country cause they dont load

sf5 is a shitty game cause its slow everywhere, menus, loading time and the actual fucking game is slow and isnt fluid cause LAMO lets put hitstop and blockstop everywhere
>>
>>336340664

Spot the F U C K I N G L I A R in this thread
>>
>>336346673
ded gaem
>>
>>336346673
That literary is the reason I stopped playing SF4 and didn't buy 5
Finding a game can be extremely annoying and sometimes takes up half of your play time
>>
>>336347626
* In CS:GO on the other hand I just click once and automatically get into a game
>>
>>336345604
Shiiiiieeeeeetttt
>>
>>336347626
Finding matches in SF4 was hella easy because you could actually browse fucking players.
>>
>>336345785
Why was skullgirls shit? I always see people saying that. Only reason I know is combo resetting
>>
>>336347952
You still have to press way too many buttons and wait after every keypress to get into a match
And that's assuming joining a player lobby actually works (which it doesn't more than half of the time because someone else already joined)
>>
STUPID AINT YA
>>
>>336348185
personally it just had too much of an emphasis on combos and resetting, so it felt more like a series of rock paper scissors than a fighting game
>>
>>336348278
>Win match
>A, Down, A, A
Wow that was so hard.
>>
>>336348185
It isn't. But if you don't like resets you aren't gonna enjoy it.
>>
>>336340259
nice
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.