[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cataclysm - How did things go so wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: wall1-1920x1200.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wall1-1920x1200.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
I remember the beta was quite promising, dungeon difficulty was good, the entire world was revamped + we had two good raids to look forward to.

However somewhere along the line everything went to shit in Cataclysm.

How did such a promising expansion turn into WoW's downfall?
>>
honestly cataclysm was the last expansion that I really actually remember enjoying. Not as much as wrath, but still enjoyed it, still played it and was still invested in the content.
>>
The instant they dumbed down the heroic dungeons in Cata was where it all went wrong

Also there was almost no raiding content, and Deathwing himself was made into Super Saiyan Thrall's bitch
>>
>that feel when you used to watch TBs videos on the beta and remembering how hype you were

tbf cata started off strong but went to shit, it got good for a bit with firelands but then 4.3 hit and its shitty raid
>>
i liked cata...although nerfing the 5 mans was a mistake
>>
Cataclysm was probably the expansion with the most potential, at release the new heroic dungeons were actually hard and demanded communication and BASIC organization for CC's, I spent hours completing a single dungeon and I loved it.

The second horrible thing was Looking For Raid, thats when I noticed the game was beyond saving. I still finished Dragon Soul Heroic before the expansion was over (fuck Spine of Deathwing on HC)

IMO Cata could've been the best expansion ever but
>blizzard
>>
>>336324712
The 5m heroic dungeons were really good for the first couple of weeks until they were nerfed into oblivion.
Also, I was really hyped for the 10m heroic raid content.
That is until after we've had to witness how either completely overtuned or outright broken most of the 10m heroic fights were. Fights like Omnotron, Magmaw, Atramedes, the twin Dragons, Council, Al'akir, etc were just ridiculous.
After about 2 months most of my guild quit because of that.
>>
No one gives a shit about Deathwing.

The truth is people quit WoW because they got done with Warcraft 3's storyline. That's it.
>>
Cata was the worst. They really fucked up the original zones, made everything linear and too easy
>>
There was a patch. Dungeons went from TBC/Vanilla style where you had to CC pulls and pay attention to RIGHT back to 2nd half wrath where it was an AoE fest

the rest of the game followed suit soon after.
>>
>>336324712
I feel like they made the playable character way too important.

Everyone is the Commander/General/Chosen One and its annoying as shit. I just got into WoD after getting a free trial and this Garrison shit pops up, like I'm supposed to be some super important lore figure that can get their own garrison.
>>
>>336325792
This. Leveling is so easy these days it's a nightmare. It's like pulling teeth. It's quick, easy, and mindless.
>>
Lack of worthwhile content. You only needed to get friendly with each of the reps and then you just dungeon grinded so there was no real point in doing dailies and there was very little max level story lines / quest chains until Firelands.
Second tier had 7 bosses (8 if BH)
Third tier had 8 (9)
The two Deathwing fights sounded great on paper, but didn't translate well in game and ended up just feeling weird.
Over-nerfing heroic dungeons
Some classes ended up being ridiculously complicated. My destro warlock had something like 8 buttons that I had to regularly keep up and use along with snapshotting my dots and micromanaging pets. Other classes felt dumbed down and too simple.
The world revamp I am somewhat split on, the graphical updates and some zones actually having more than a couple of quests for your faction was nice but it also ruined or removed some nice quest lines. Ultimately it was wasted because most veteran players weren't going to see it because they either already had all of the classes they wanted to play at 60+ and if they wanted to level a new character just spamming dungeons with heirlooms was much more efficient. I feel as though the small amount of new players that came during Cata probably liked leveling through the zones.
Also LFR
>>
>>336326991
>Some classes ended up being ridiculously complicated
nah, they actually toned down the most complex classes compared to wrath like enh shamans or feral druids
>>
>>336327218
>some
Later on that line I did say that some were dumbed down too. Specs like Boomkin, Shadow, and Fire I feel are much more complicated than their Wrath versions and are incomparable to their TBC and Vanilla iterations.
>>
>>336327487
true enough but only because quite a few specs were still virtually unplayable in tbc
and it was more a point against the notion that some specs were "ridiculously" complicated when in fact they were not even close to the most complicated DPS specs in the game's history
which honestly is a shame, complex systems that allowed for drastic increase in damage based around skill were neat
>>
File: 133186557214.png (281 KB, 765x540) Image search: [Google]
133186557214.png
281 KB, 765x540
B-team
All the good devs left for Titan/Overwatch

There was just too much cut content & bad decisions

Making it difficult again after being so easy in Wrath
Introducing LFR
Remaking the old world, which was pointless since everyone was 80 & alt's just spammed dungeon finder, all it did was piss off nostalgia fags
Tier 11 being boring as a lot of people saw it as BWL 2.0
Skywall not being a zone or a proper raid, the Skywall "raid" we got only had 2 bosses without even voice acting, what the fuck?
New zones being linear as a piece of string
More Homogenization & killing Hybrids for better balance
Instead of climbing up Hyjal overtime to reach the World Tree, you start at the World Tree & go down, Hyjal was also just too small & didn't have the underground zone from Warcraft 3
Half of Uldum being a reference to Indiana Jones was insulting
Rehasing the Troll raids
Deathwing being some crazy pawn of N'zoth, instead of the smart & cunning badass he was in the books
Having Deathwing's biggest quest be a joke quest where you punch him in the face, his unique Human model is never used again
Deathwing teaming up with Ragnaros, even though Rag was at war with Deathwing's son
Dragon Soul being fucking pathetic, all rehashed content, no Chromatus or N'zoth
Cutting shitloads of content like War of the Ancients & Abyssal Maw raid, Path of the Titans, Silithus Remake, etc
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.