[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's THE rhythm game to play these days? The arcade near
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1379086643213[1].jpg (134 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1379086643213[1].jpg
134 KB, 480x640
What's THE rhythm game to play these days? The arcade near me has Sound Voltex, MUSECA, Beatmania, Pop'n Music, Project Diva, and Taiko no Tatsujin. I have no idea where to even start.
>>
>>336311304
Play Guitar Hero, fuck all that other shit.
>>
File: 1451114826170.jpg (425 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1451114826170.jpg
425 KB, 1024x768
IIDX is basically the pinnacle of rhythm games. It just feels the nicest to play and has the most variation in techniques and playstyles. No two people play exactly the same and you'll always be finding note progressions that force you to move and place your hands in a new way. Most other rhythm games end up being fairly formulaic and quickly boil down to your skill with a small toolset of techniques and placements that cover everything.

Give it a try if you've got that Round 1 near you, I didn't have that luxury and just bought into a controller hoping I'd like the game. Just be aware it has a pretty punishing barrier to entry.
>>
>>336311926
Is the game still supported with updates?
>>
File: eea4f5d2ed.jpg (313 KB, 1077x606) Image search: [Google]
eea4f5d2ed.jpg
313 KB, 1077x606
>>336311304
>Sound Voltex
Probably the easiest one to pick up, and tends to be the most popular one to westerners who weren't already into bemani. It's fun and has awesome presentation, but there isn't much to playstyle technique and the game is fairly easy up to 14s and then relies pretty heavily on memorization.

>MUSECA
This one's really new and kind of gimmicky, but it's enjoyable. It will never have as big of lines as the others so that's nice, but the interface is really bad and it doesn't have many songs. You also can't simulate it at home like most of the others so if you get really into it you can't get a home setup.

>IIDX
see >>336311926
Downsides are a really punishing skill climb and some really strict and arcane scoring stuff (it's possible to full combo a song with max score and fail, and to get an F with zero points and pass), but it's the best one if you're willing to get into it. It's the favorite among existing players so expect lines, but it's also the easiest to simulate and get controllers for so you can safely get into it knowing you'll be able to get a setup if you like it enough to play at home.

>Pop'n Music
Assuming you're talking about Round 1, the downside here is that it'll be running an older version with no network support. Pop'n is fun if you want a lot more movement but not quite on the level of a dance game though, it's got a pretty decent skill climb and cap around a similar level to IIDX but is less punishing to beginners and the scoring is more intuitive. Home setups exist but are bulkier, louder, and more expensive than IIDX/Pop'n

>Taiko
Similar situation to Pop'n with it being an older version, it's a fun game but you can't really sink into it on the same level as the bemani games.

Source: I really like rhythm games
>>
>>336311304
Sound Voltex is what all the niwaka are into these days
>>
>>336312932
please don't even play pop'n with a keyboard above lvl 25's
you have to play with your whole hand
>>
>>336311427
>I don't know any other rhythm games
Fuck off.
>>
>>336311304
man I wish we still had arcades here in south america, the little ones left don't even manage to import these kind of games anymore, but I've been playing a lot of cytus and oveRapid on my moto g, hachi hachi too but not as much as those two
>>
>>336311304
>>336312932
Also rhythm game people tend to be pretty friendly, so if you aren't familiar with how to work these games (the menus are all in moonrunes) just ask someone who's hanging around the machines and they'll likely be happy to help you out.

>>336313937
I play 32s with that layout
>>
>>336314221
i don't mean to an asshole, but that's not really playing the game
i would get an asc
>>
>>336314395
I really don't like the game enough to do that and it's way too loud to use in an apartment anyways
I play pop'n at arcades but at home I just dick around with it on keyboard sometimes
>>
>>336314564
oh, that's different lol.
i thought you meant you just play with the keyboard.
>>
>>336311304
First of all, holy shit you're a lucky ass punk to have so many amazing rhythm games near you. Secondly, I feel IIDX is king, but Pop'n also earns you major brownie points if you play at a high level. Project Diva can be played at home and Taiko has essentially a 90 degree learning curve between "literally made for Jap children" mode and "holy shit what are all these circles" mode
>>
I'm really drawn to SDVX because of how much doujin music it has. It's really neat seeing songs in that game that I'm already familiar with.
>>
>>336313345
pretty much this
combination of flashy but easy to get into gameplay and relatively well known songs makes it a magnet to those who are just getting into this kind of thing
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.