[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any shame in using a walkthrough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: think.jpg (38 KB, 528x440) Image search: [Google]
think.jpg
38 KB, 528x440
Is there any shame in using a walkthrough?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>336273154
Mostly, i think not if it come to fucking puzzles.
>>
Yes, but possibly not, depending on why you use it. E.G. learning about obscure hidden things that would take a very long time or would be very unlikely that you'd find by yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>336273567
Puzzles you say?
>>
If you bought it: no.
If you didn't but it, and use an FAQ/Walkthrough: Yes.
>>
>>336273154
There should be but I feel no shame if I have to resort to one. I shamelessy browse walkthroughs for "true" or hard to get endings (typically the joke endings or hard to get to easter eggs like the MEG).
>>
Depends on how much you use it. If it's a convoluted as shit process that gets you an otherwise inaccessible part of the game then yes, if you're just using it because you want to play the game without any effort then no.
>>
>>336273798
Puzzles you say?
>>
Rather than shame you should be worrying about the game losing value from not going in blindly and already knowing and expecting everything the game throws at you, but only if you follow it step by step, personally I don't think there is anything wrong if you only check for specific items, ending conditions or if you are stuck at some part and think you have exhausted all your options

Bragging about beating a game while being handheld by a guide and not giving it credit is stupid though
>>
File: Dragon_Claw_Door.jpg (212 KB, 1251x769) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Claw_Door.jpg
212 KB, 1251x769
>>336274223
>picture didn't post

Thanks 4chan
>>
>Times when it is NOT okay to use a guide
When you haven't already played through the game once before.
When the game is straightforward.
When the game is in your native language.

>Times when it IS okay to use a guide
When you've already played through the game once before.
When the game is not in your native language, or a language you can understand.
When the game has some bullshit mechanic that they did not repeat how to do.
When you're stuck at a part in the game for longer than 3 hours/a week.

Simple as that
>>
>>336274554
Why would you use a guide if you've already played through it?
>>
>>336274849
Achievements or for multiple endings.
>>
Depends, are you following it and relying on it or only using it in specific instances?
>>
>>336273154
For something like a myst game carefully crafted to tap feelings of unhindered discovery? Yes

For something like Dark Souls 3 and bloodborne where shitty programmets threw darts at a wall to decide how npcs work? No
>>
>>336273154
I use guides on games like Xenoblade CX where they want you to find particular piece of SHIT for a required level.

Seriously, they can fuck right off if they think I'm just going to run around and find some random piece of shit by luck.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.