[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished both of these games and I'm wondering what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: Hotline_Miami_cover.png (195 KB, 261x381) Image search: [Google]
Hotline_Miami_cover.png
195 KB, 261x381
Just finished both of these games and I'm wondering what the /v/erdict is never having paid any attention to the threads when they came out.

Personally, I loved the first one but the second one was a bit of a let down

-Started off promising with the rape scene, it was a great comment on the double standards regards what's acceptable for videogames, murder hundreds of innocents for no reason(the entire premiss of the first game) and everyone sings your praises, have pretend rape scene and everyone loses their shit

-Rapidly goes downhill as the game forces you to rely on guns with melee playthroughs no longer being fun or viable

-While I like the idea of having different characters who force you to re-evaluate your play-style, the abilities range from hindrances to just plain shit. Having to mash the execute button varying number of times depending on the enemy/character, with that same button being bound to dodge roll was a terrible, terrible idea. And don't even get me started on those swan mask bitch boys, their level in the mob headquarters was one of the worst pieces of game design I've encountered in quite some time.

-The original was a clever comment on senseless violence in videogames with a wacky secret ending that further played into this idea. Wrong number throws all this out the window and retroactively turns it into a generic, yet convoluted, tale of espionage and intrigue - something we've seen all to often before.

-The soundtrack and last level were fucking excellent though.

Thoughts/opinions?
>>
Swan twins were OP as fuq
>>
>>336268836
You can't reliable aim with them, all of their levels for me boiled down to

>Stand around corner
>Fire off shot to get peoples attention
>Hope to god that a dog doesn't insta gib you through a door/some other bullshit
>>
Hotline miami saved video games and is literally flawless in every aspect.
>>
>>336269579
But what about the second one?
>>
You basically summed up what everyone else thought too.

>tfw the level editor that was supposed to be out one month after release of HM2 isnt out of beta yet
>>
>>336268548
OP here, forgot to mention

Wrong Number is buggy as hell, enemies being able to hit you through walls, executions sometimes placing you on the other side of a door/wall when the animation ends and trying to pick up a weapon and picking up something that's a good few spaces away instead were just a few of the issues I encountered(regularly, to the point where you pretty much had to plan for bullshit happening and play around it)
>>
>>336269624
Pretty much the same game, only that it improves so much that already was great in the first game.
>>
File: 1460660634905.png (48 KB, 982x546) Image search: [Google]
1460660634905.png
48 KB, 982x546
>>336268548
>>
>>336269861
What about the issues in the OP?
>>
2 is total shit

1 was great but i lost interest in 2 after a few maps
>>
I liked that missions demand a mix of melee and guns now instead of being easily completed with melee only.

The levels are pretty great all around, adding a good amount of difficulty especially when used to the first games tactics.

I wont get into story related complaints. Its a video game, if you dont skip the dialog youre doing it wrong.

I have no idea what the first comment was about, the rape scene was literally just in a cutscene.

The control related issues might be a problem, but i never noticed them that much. Still if they bthered OP then its a valid complaint.
>>
>>336270665
Was meant as a response to
>>336269973
>>
>people hate 2
I can understand disliking the harder elements of 2, and some of the long hallway bullshit where you can't even see the shooter

but the story is pretty interesting, the gameplay is the same except slowed down or "more strategic" and the soundtrack is twice as good as the first.

Replay it, I love 2 just as much as 1.

Too bad I can't find a 36x24 poster of the cover to buy.
>>
>>336271049
>story is interesting
The story was fucking dogshit, the only nice bits were the subtle stuff, but they added too many elements and you know what they say about too many chefs in the kitchen
>>
>>336271049
>Harder elements

I know it's just reviews being all-round shitters, but I couldn't get over the amount of people saying the first one is difficult. Have these people never played a video game before in their lives? As for 2 I wouldn't say it was substantially more difficult, but there were some parts where you felt you were playing against poor mechanics rather than good level design and the larger size of the level meant you were more likely to get stomped by that one last guy hiding in a corner somewhere which really discouraged going for combos and style - most of the bigger levels I was just glad to be done with after getting through wherease I rarely felt that a death was anything other than my own fault in the first game.
>>
Both are really great games.

1 is much more fast paced and "arcade-y", focusing more on planning out efficient routes on stages to get the best score possible.

2 almost feels like a puzzle game. It forces you to take your time and be much more careful. Still a blast to play.

2 is one of my Top 3 favorite games of all time. It just feels much more cohesive and the story/characters were fleshed out more. That comes down to preference and I can understand why some people don't like that.

Both awesome games. I still replay them from time to time.
>>
Does anyone have any idea what the guys who made it are working on now?
>>
>>336273572
On the level editor.
>>
File: image.png (544 KB, 783x655) Image search: [Google]
image.png
544 KB, 783x655
>>336268548
Your thoughts are roughly the same as a good chunk of the playerbase

Also Hotline theme best track
>>
>>336274120
Still?

Didn't really read into it, just assumed it would be out. I mean they made the levels with something, why is it so difficult to give us tools to make levels with.
>>
File: 1457989805267.png (30 KB, 160x159) Image search: [Google]
1457989805267.png
30 KB, 160x159
HM1 is a classic and I still play it every month, but hm2 was just worse
>shit level design. it was pretty bad, but got worse near the end.
>an even more meaningless story HOW do you manage that. AND it was confusing.
>really good soundtrack. like wow.
not worth the wait at all
>>
dodge rolling doesnt fucking work wtf
I guess its just meant to be a speed boost instead of you rolling under the bullets like a bad ass would
Both HM's are picky as fuck about what you can and cant walk over or shoot over.
Ultimately glad I picked them up tho, even tho 2 was dissapointing
>>
>>336274869
Unlike writing huge ass text files inside the engine. They have to find a way to put those elements of the engine, into the engine without glitching, it's not a easy task to make a level maker.
>>336274917
>shit level design near the end
Fuck you Son's levels are my favorites.
>story is confusing
Now I know it's bait.
>>336275176
Use dodge roll to escape, not attack.
>>
>>336275176
>dodge rolling doesnt fucking work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs7yYatJD7Q
>>
Hotline miami 2 is better than 1.I haven't played a game i loved as much since.
>>
File: ROLL ROLLA DA.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ROLL ROLLA DA.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>336275176
>this guy
>>
>>336275367
not that dude but the level designs were noticeably worse around the time the fans die
giant levels with tons of guns it gets kind of dumb at a point
it starts to discourage experimenting
>>
>>336276052
I know that feel, by the end of the game whenever I came across a long hallway I just ran down it emptying whatever ammo I had to hand and watching those combos rack up.
>>
>>336275983
>shotgun dude in the corner only fires once and then just stands there
but why
>>
File: 7912368.jpg (176 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
7912368.jpg
176 KB, 640x400
/v/ liked the first one because it was their first topdown shooter and it was also edgy.

Then 2 came out which was basically the same game and /v/ didn't like it anymore because a generic topdown flash game can't impress a person twice.

Bottom line the market is filled with shitty Game Maker and Unity games which used to be freeware but now newfriends are paying money for them because they simply don't know any better.
>>
>>336276947
He shoots twice, first shot hits the computer screen.
>>
>>336275983
>one guy phases through a wall
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.