[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you will never play another Jumping Flash game >t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Jumping_Flash_PS_A.jpg (189 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Jumping_Flash_PS_A.jpg
189 KB, 1000x1000
>tfw you will never play another Jumping Flash game
>tfw no indie first person platformers
>tfw a kickstarter for a Jumping Flash clone failed miserably in 2015 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70576849/fantastic-journeys)
>>
>>336268257
I love this game so much.
And JF2
I heard JF3 was pretty rubbish though.
>>
>>336268257
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70576849/fantastic-journeys
Damn, dude. Way to sock it to me.
I still have both games in the series on display. Revisited them last year. Fun, if flawed, games. I'd like to see them with a more stable framerate.

>A Vibrant Unreal Engine 4 Powered 3D Platformer Inspired By Jumping Flash, that encourages exploration of it's huge open levels
>it's
>capitalization
Wow. Ignoring the obvious pedestrian modeling and art, grating soundtrack, and slow as fuck video, I'd say this guy's shit grammar is why it failed.
>>
RIP Takeo Miratsu
>>
>>336270265
>I heard JF3 was pretty rubbish though

It was okay. More of a spin-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll73oK_syIg

God bless that final boss though.
>>
>>336271037
The roman candles were always my fav special weapon.
>>
>>336268257
No wonder it failed, the game looks like shit. This is a very bad successor.
>>
File: ....jpg (37 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
37 KB, 576x432
>>336268257
>played a demo of this in Circuit City at a PS1 stand before the console was released
>Jumping Flash is the game that made me want a playstation
>a lot of PS1 games were like this: just stupid fun
>PS2 games more or less kept that spirit and were still great, especially things like Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank
>PS3 came alone and was suddenly pretty meh. Little Big Planet and 3D dot game heroes were both fun, but nothing ever approached something like Jumping Flash
>PS4 rolls around... has Nack, but that's fucking terrible.
>grab BF4 because it was cheap and needed something to play on this dumb thing just to make sure the console functions. Fun is dead.jpg

Sticking with the Playstation since the start is like watching a kid grow up into an insecure adult who constantly has to prove how mature they are by how joyless and empty they've become.
>>
>>336273404
I love my Playstation.
Play more games.
>>
>>336273404
Just go back to playing PS2 and PSX. Their libraries are so humongous that there is bound to be tons of fun games you haven't played yet.
>>
>>336273831
>Just go back to playing PS2 and PSX. Their libraries are so humongous that there is bound to be tons of fun games you haven't played yet.

That's actually exactly what I'm doing. Last game I grabbed was Strider 2 for PS1. Would still be nice to have another Jumping Flash game though.
>>
>>336270265
3 was done by a different developer.
Exact did the first two, as well as the very similar spiritual predecessor Geograph Seal, and Ghost in the Shell which uses the same Jumping Flash! engine but does totally different stuff with it.
>>
File: game-and-wario-kung-fu.jpg (399 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
game-and-wario-kung-fu.jpg
399 KB, 1280x1440
>>336268257

Too bad it wasn't a Nintendo franchise since it would have been a pretty good fit for the WiiU Gamepad.

It could use two views like pic related in Game & Wario.
>>
>>336274686
>Geograph Seal
Well, I have a new game to play.
>>
>>336271859
>the game looks like shit
Agreed, but it's still the most serious attempt at a clone I've seen. Maybe VR will bring Jumping Flash itself back (though I suspect it may be pretty nauseating to play a straight up VR port of JF).
>>
>>336273404
I can't say I fully agree but there is definitely some truth to your post. In the early 3D era it seemed like developers had a lot of fun just exploring the medium of 3D graphics itself. As 3D became more mundane that sense of experimental fun disappeared. It's a feature of new platforms and new technology. Who knows, may there are ways to recapture it on existing platforms. Considering we probably won't see anything quite like the early 3D era again, it would be nice if there were.
>>
>>336274686
>3 was done by a different developer.
Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Japan_Studio says that Sugar & Rockets was what they renamed Exact to.
>>
File: coldniteSatelliteNewSky.png (788 KB, 1614x906) Image search: [Google]
coldniteSatelliteNewSky.png
788 KB, 1614x906
>>336268257

>>tfw no indie first person platformers

I'm making a game that has platforming elements. It's not parkour. I have a Christmas-themed demo you can try out. Maybe it would make your day.

https://codybean1.itch.io/christmas-satellite

I was considering getting Jumping Flash earlier last week. I always thought the game was interesting.
>>
>>336279083
Interesting.
>I was considering getting Jumping Flash earlier last week
If you are making a first-perform platformer you owe it to yourself to play Jumping Flash and Mirror's Edge Time Trial Map Pack and Portal w/ the commentary but you've probably already played it.
>>
>>336277806
Oh, well, news to me.
It felt quite a bit like another developer tackling the series and not quite understanding what made 1 and 2 so good, either way.

And I'm a little confused by Philosoma and PoPoLoCrois apparently being worked on by Sugar & Rockets and released in early 1995 and mid 1996 respectively, but Ghost in the Shell being developed and released by Exact in mid 1997, though.
>>
>>336279905
>It felt quite a bit like another developer tackling the series
Maybe they'd move the staff around within the studio itself before this project? Gotta check the credits.
>>
>>336280714
Check this out: http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/robbit-mon-dieu/credits. You can click the surnames to get the devs' other projects.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.