[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.atlasobscura.com/article s/brazil-is-a-video-game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/brazil-is-a-video-game-alternate-universe-where-sega-beat-nintendo

>The number of Master System consoles on the market in Brazil, based on sales figures compiled by UOL Games in 2012 is 5 million. That's a larger install base in Brazil than for the Genesis, the most popular Sega game system in the U.S., which sold 3 million copies during its lifetime. The website also notes a stunning fact—despite being a console that's nearly 30 years old, it still sells around 150,000 units per year in the country. That's a level that holds its own compared to more modern consoles like the Sony PlayStation 4.
>>
>alternate universe where sega beat nintendo
Didn't Sega outsell Nintendo in the UK, at least with the Mega Drive/Genesis? They also sold much better in Japan with the Saturn than Nintendo did with the 64.
>>
>>336257605
Yep, thanks to some bullshit lawsuit Nintendo lost.
>>
BRfag here.

I still own my Master System, it's somewhere in the closet with something like 15 games. Sonic 1 and 2 for it are the fucking shit.
>>
Best versions of Bubble Bobble and Castle of Illusion
>>
US lived inside a bubble.
Nintendo was never that relevant outside your country where it wanted to hold its monopoly.
>>
>>336256497
Its only thanks to piracy. Just how Ps1 crushed n64 on South America.
>>
>>336261762
>i-it's only because of piracy
>>
I liked the music in the SMS Sonic more then the Genesis/SMD version.
>>
Wonderboy 3 is one of my favourite games ever, I still play through it like twice a year.
>>
>>336257605
Yup, in the UK Nintendo was DOA with it's N64. I never saw a single one until I was in my 20's.
The PS1 and saturn had already been out for years, that might have had something to do with it.

And it Japan, the saturn was the most 'indie friendly' console which won over consumers massively.
>>
Doesn't Brazil have huge tariffs on the video game industry that are supposedly there to protect local video game companies?

What a shithole
>>
>>336261762

The PS1 crushed the N64 everywhere.
>>
>>336262346
>Wonderboy 3
Wonder how Monster Boy will turn out.
>>
>>336262346
Is that the blonde kid who throws stone axes?

My SMS had Alex Kidd built in (with the backwards controls).
That game was tough as hell.
>>
>>336262507
>>336261904
It's true that piracy helped but it wasn't the only reason
>console with tons of free games
>consoles with few expensive games
>>
>>336262658
>Is that the blonde kid who throws stone axes?
Kinda. The first game you play as him and the gameplay is a lot different from 3(It's literally Adventure Island). Wonderboy 3 is more like Metroid or Castlevania.

>>336262551
>Wonder how Monster Boy will turn out.

I hope it's good, I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>>336256497
>it still sells around 150,000 units per year in the country
this can't be right
>>
oh wow so this is what happened to him

I remember it being really cringy when he kept cheering for his son while casting a tournament
>>
>>336262491
To protect local game companies ? Lol no

It is to protect the interest of the communist party whose head honcho will get impeached soon
>>
i had a master system

shinobi world was great
>>
>>336260926
Land of Illusion was fucking great too, I loved it
>>
>>336261320
That was Nintendo's own fault, they chose to ignore and abandon those markets in the 80s and never built up any European or South American fanfare or brand loyalty until the 2000s.
Now those assholes make European exclusive portable variants, games, and other extras.
>>
Polystation is the best
>>
>>336264078
Not "THE" Sega Master System, it's all the compatible hardwares.
>>
File: TI-84_Plus_graphing.jpg (2 MB, 2027x3208) Image search: [Google]
TI-84_Plus_graphing.jpg
2 MB, 2027x3208
>>336267904

Wait, so this Brazilian company which has all the rights apparently to the Master System that uses the same processor as pic related is still producing them?

Dear goodness.
>>
>>336256497
SEGA beat Ninty in most of Europe.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.