[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do devs think crafting or "upgrades" are fun? Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1435164318581.jpg (31 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
1435164318581.jpg
31 KB, 456x320
Why do devs think crafting or "upgrades" are fun? Does anyone ever actually get excited about "upgrading" in games?

It always feels like a tedious waste of time and a lot of the time I end up never upgrading until I absolutely have to in order to not die.
>>
Crafting in general is fucking retarded but upgrades can be interesting if the paths branch enough and the upgrades are novel instead of LOL +5 DAMAGE
>>
>>336246220
I love upgrades, especially branching upgrades that differs. Example, Settlers/Anno like game. I've built a woodcutter building, there are 2 upgrades. Either I can upgrade the woodcutter to function as a woodcutter/sawmill so I get ready wood or so that the woodcutter switches equipment around and speeds up the process severely.
>>
what yiu have to remember is game developers are literally retarded manchildren with no imagination whatsoever. they can't fathom a video game without some sort of autistic xp or crafting system
>>
>>336247306
If anything, I'd say crafting and upgrades began to occur more frequently after gaming became really mainstream.
>>
>>336246220
Yes it's fucking retarded. I want to like Monster Hunter really badly but it has autistic levels of crafting and farming.
>>
Yeah.

I've figured out that I have more fun playing games where all the moves are already unlocked, but not thrown right at your face, so you can learn to use them naturally (or not, if you're a casual). Instead of baring through a game for 2 hours with the most barebones moves and only getting them all until the end.
>>
>>336246220
>>336246608
Crafting isn't just about "interesting gameplay" in such shallow conditions as the minigame, and questioning if getting upgrades is fun is ludicrous.

The main benefit of crafting is providing a role in MMOs and other multiplayer games. Economies require goods, and goods require whatever they're made of in the game realm, by whatever profession/skill.
>>
I agree. They are boring.

weapons should be unique and fun
>>
>>336248963
It makes sense to have crafting in MMOs. Not so much when I just want to kill something in a single player shooter but I need to craft the bullets because the corporate executives in some boardroom naively believe it would "capture the x audience".
>>
Upgrades are fine when they actually mean something.
If your upgrade system is entirely "1% damage boost" a hundred times then it shouldn't be there.
If your upgrade system is "splitting bullets OR ricochet" then maybe it won't feel like a grind
>>
Upgrades are included to give a sense of progression. It's only normal to like to see numbers go up, so many developers take advantage of this in their multiplayer and give out occasional rewards to try to keep the player playing.

Crafting is to give a sense of freedom and emergent gameplay.
>>
>>336249707
In theory, perhaps. In practice they give a sense of boredom.
>>
>>336246220
Casuals get out.
>>
>>336246220
I don't mind upgrades in the sense that you earn skill points and use the points to upgrade your abilities and shit, but I could give two fucks less about gathering resources to "craft" shit. If I wanted to do that I'd just play Minesuck.
>>
>>336249884
>
>my argument
>>
it was pretty cool in FFXI, since crafting skills were insanely difficult and expensive to increase, but could make you some huge profits once you did so. obviously skyrim is a good example of a garbage crafting system
>>
>>336251562
Don't worry, anon, you don't <<HAVE>> to collect the resources. We'll just place then into enemies inventories so that every time you loot, you either have to fill your inventory with unwanted garbage, or you have to spend extra time trying to pick out all the items except the undesirable resources.
>>
>>336246220
>Does anyone ever actually get excited about "upgrading" in games?

when it does something and it's not just a bigger number yes
>>
If the items are sufficiently unique then hell yes I want upgrading. I fucking hate when you find a weapon that's a blast to play with, but it grows useless as you progress and there's nothing later on that plays like it.

Though I don't really like when they just ram in an ability unlocking system. Sometimes the choice to do so is just baffling, like the new mirror's edge.
>>
>>336249707
>Upgrades are included to give a sense of progression. It's only normal to like to see numbers go up
it's an unneeded waste of time in games other than RPGs and the like. it's the casual market that feels this sense of progression more. that's why so many moms were hooked on Farmville despite having no interest in other vidya.
>>
>>336252427
Farmville didn't have an unnecessary sense of progression. It's making a fucking farm.
>>
>>336252497
His point is that normalshits are unable to perceive progress without a big red counter telling them how many "points" they got.
>>
>>336252620
I didn't recall Farmville having a points leaderboard. In any case, the point isn't well made nor evidenced.
>>
>>336252497
you unlock stuff to put on the farm the more you play.
>>
>>336246220
Perks and skills are much better.
>>
>>336252704
Yeah, that's just social gaming design so that there's something to do later. It's just shallow gameplay.
>>
How is crafting bad
Making spells was my favorite part of Morrowind.
>>
>>336252969
my point is they wouldn't play farmville if everything was unlocked from the start and it was like a map editor. they play it because of that hollow sense of progression. like chasing a carrot on a stick. as opposed to playing the game because it's good. developers are increasingly using this design in place of good gameplay.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.