[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why it’s perfectly acceptable to read all day, to garden all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: DYoR7MQ.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
DYoR7MQ.webm
2 MB, 640x640
Why it’s perfectly acceptable to read all day, to garden all day, to be at the pool all day, to work all day, to shop all day, to be out with friends all day, but the minute you decide to sit at a computer or console and game all day, suddenly you’re wasting your life?
>>
It's not okay to be shitposting at 4chan all day, anon
>>
>>336223395
Because everything you listed is done OUTSIDE with real people or with real objects or real places. What you do is all virtual, nothing you do matters in the slightest.
Even if your gardening efforts mean that one single blade of grass gets to live one day longer it means more than you killing Diablo for the hundreth time.

Now stop being 12 and turn off the computer.
>>
>>336223395
is this the opening to your new stand up bit?
>>
>>336223804
THE
CURRENT
YEAR
>>
>>336223729
How does that work with reading all day? Because that's the first thing OP listed.
>>
>>336223395
http://vocaroo.com/i/s04037Blq9k8
>>
Post more cats.
>>
>>336223395

The other activities are actually productive.

Playing video games is as productive as watching TV all day.
>>
>>336224107
Depends, reading non-fiction is productive but reading fiction is just as much a waste as video games.
>>
>read all day
Yes, since you're actually improving yourself.

>to garden all day
Yes, since you're actually making things grown, creating and caring.

>to be at the pool all day
Yes, since you're actually improving yourself.

>to work all day
You have to make a living.

>to shop all day
Not really

>to be out with friends all day
Of course. We're humans after all.

>computer or console and game all day
The only thing you get here is a dopamine fix. You don't actually make yourself better in anyway. It's just a way to waste time in the most superficial way.
>>
Why is it acceptable to still make these threads on /v/?
>>
File: 1443487507045.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1443487507045.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>Someone criticizes you for playing videogames in your spare time.
>They spend all day every day watching netflix.
>>
>>336223395

Should have said watch tv all day it's more social acceptable than playing video games all day.
>>
I can't really imagine anyone doing any of those things literally all day except video games, and that one's usually only for lack of anything else to do--hence having no life.
>>
File: 1460749763250.gif (1 MB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
1460749763250.gif
1 MB, 217x217
>>336223729
>he thinks I've killed diablo only 100 times.
>>
File: 1456857880564.png (318 KB, 540x413) Image search: [Google]
1456857880564.png
318 KB, 540x413
>>336224205
>"anon, you spend too much time staring at your computer screen, come hang out with us"
>spend two hours in complete silence looking at a TV screen
>>
>>336224429
>Try to start a conversation
>Get told not to talk over the TV
>>
File: 1448105499822.jpg (134 KB, 944x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448105499822.jpg
134 KB, 944x1080
>>336223395
Because some people just want to criticize
>>
>>336224429
Even an hour and a half spent on 4chan is better than spending it in the cinema watching Marvel's latest bucket of drivel with people you aren't engaging with.
>>
Watching TV is definitely the stronger analogy but even that can at least serve as more of a conversation piece with regular people than video games. It's dumb because TV is even more of a useless activity than video games imo. But video games have a weird stigma around them, as if talking about them in public automatically means you must be one of those people who doesn't do ANYTHING else. It sucks
>>
>>336223395
>but the minute you decide to sit at a computer or console and game all day, suddenly you’re wasting your life?
Because people don't read all day every day, or go to the pool all day every day, or shop all day every day.

People tell us we're wasting our time because we are. 90% of the people on /v/ probably haven't done anything productive in years, myself included.
We all just lurk the internet and play games
>>
>>336224836
If you watched TV all day every day people would tell you to get up and do something too.

Its not about WHAT you're doing, its about how often you're doing it.

Its like drinking.
You go out every two weeks and drink in moderation with friends? Thats completely normal and socially acceptable.

You drink all day every single day and spend every night puking? You need to change, get outside, get some new hobbies, and work on yourself.

Videogames get so much shit because most people don't enjoy them in moderation and spend every free moment they have playing them.
>>
Just do what you enjoy the most and don't worry about what people think, we all have limited time, better do something you like.
>>
>>336223395
Sounds like you live with your parents.
>>
>>336226059
>we all have limited time
Speak for yourself
>>
>>336224836
>>336225717
Meanwhile you can pull off reading a book literally everywhere you go while at most being perceived as shy and reserved. Plus people will assume you're intelligent for it. I call bullshit.
>>
>>336226626
This also because when people think "reading books" they think about intelligent people like university professors and nerds

When they think "playing videogames" they think about little kids playing Call of Duty while screaming "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" or some fat autistic guy that talks about wanting to fuck sonic characters
>>
>>336226224
you immortal or something?
>>
>>336226224
Fuck off Mozart
>>
>>336226875
And this is the heart of the issue: stereotypes.

/v/ does nothing but perpetuate existing vidya stereotypes if not worsen them.
>>
>>336227704
>implying I care what people think as long as they leave my hobby the fuck alone
OP is a fag. The true heart of the issue is people looking for fucking validation for things they're supposed to do for fun.
>>
>>336223395
is that catte a vampire?
>>
>>336224173
Reading fiction improves your vocabulary, reading comprehension, and various writing skills, even if it doesn't provide inherently useful information.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.