[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Action RPG the new First Person Shooter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dark_souls_3_main.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
dark_souls_3_main.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
Is Action RPG the new First Person Shooter?
>>
>>336223301

No, otherwise it would sell better than FPS.
>>
>>336223301
Eventually
>>
nah fps will always be more accessible
>>
>>336223301
an Action RPG has to be an "RPG" not just an "Action" game

Dark Souls is not an action rpg
>>
>>336225862
How is it not an RPG?
>>
>>336225862
How is it not an RPG, there is character progression which diversifies stats from one player to another (lol 40/40quality).
You play the role of an unkindled one in the game's story. You can even choose to play the role of someone else by using armor/weapons of that person/type of character.

I really want to hear your definition of RPG if this isn't straight up bait.
>>
>>336225862
It is.
>>
>>336225961
quests and choices are what makes an rpg
>>
>>336226252
Even if I disagree this is the entirety of what the term "RPG encompasses, this game does not lack any of these

>quests
You do not get them in a log, but you have plenty of "quests" you can embark on

>choices
you have these too when it comes to completing NPC subplots, or getting a specific ending. You do not get them in a big options wheel, but that's a good thing - there are plenty of games that do it the other way.

Other than that: >>336226185 got it right.
>>
Dark Souls is best described as being a "Dungeon Crawler RPG"
>>
>>336226252
Hello. Quests and choices is for dungeon and dragons live playsessions. Computer RPG is digits and only digits. If you can customise your character in various ways - it's an rpg. If you can only choose what passive skill to improve so your Geralt won't die in another button mashing button - it's a video game book/movie.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.