[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gladius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: 1435346563501.jpg (72 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
1435346563501.jpg
72 KB, 640x908
No one ever talks about this game despite:

>top-tier TRPG/SRPG gameplay, with 3D world exploring, and heavy focus on the world
>lots of characters/classes/skills/equipment to play around with and tons of customization
>interesting and believable story told by grounded, realistic characters
>start your own Ludos and train your own gladiators
>made by Lucas Arts studios, so the writing is clever and downright witty most times
>perfect orchestral score
>turn-based grid-based battle goodness, where your gladiator's need to win over the crowd is as important as overcoming the enemy
>virtually no randomness, your sword's hit, crit or miss comes down to your timing as a player
>large rosters on the field at once, as well as field variables and height factors that require planning ahead
>two stories, one for the proud Imperia(l) guy who starts his own gladiator school and one literally who fem-easy-mode

It's like Spartacus meets Final Fantasy Tactics meets Legend of Dragoon.
>>
Are we too busy shitposting about Dark Souls 3, animu, SJW-whores and Twitter to talk about a really good game?
>>
>>336210919
Oh cool, I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere. I've been very bored of all my games recently and this fill a gap if it's good
>>
>>336211862

It's the perfect gap-filler (which as I type this I realize isn't as much of a compliment as I implied).

It came out for Xbox, Gamecube and PS2. The PS2 version, the one I own, is the one with the best graphical quality, but slightly longer load-times.

Gamecube looks slightly worse but loads a little quicker.

The Xbox one I've never played, but people say it's somewhere in the middle.

It also emulates really well on PCSX2 and decently on Dolphin!
>>
Fuck, I was thinking of making a Gladius thread this weekend. This on GC was fun back in the day and fed my desire for srpgs. I'm afraid to bust it out again because I feel it won't hold up to the memories
>>
I remember playing this when it came out but found it really overwhelming. Is it time for a return?
>>
>>336212420

My nigga. Let us celebrate in the glory of shedding blood on the sand.

After playing it when I was a teenager I too feared it wouldn't hold up to today's standards.

It's not as graphically pretty as I remember it when I was younger, but fuck the gameplay is still top-notch.

The game still has a ton of charm and I don't think you'll regret going back to it!

>>336212429
>time for a return

Well... I mean, the game hasn't gotten any easier since you last played it, and the swing-timer might take a little gitting gud, but once you're in the rhythm it'll flow nicely.
>>
Ded genre
>>
>>336210919
This game would have been GOAT if there was a sandbox mode, I enjoyed the story but wanted a bit more freedom.
>>
Why don't people make SRPGs anymore? I swear, even the obscure ones like the on OP's on about were usually very good. But now it's like the entire genre's dead like a doorknob.
>>
WE BATTLE AS ONE
>>
>>336213014

Agreed. Something like gladiatorial sport with a large roster combined with tactical RPG gameplay sounds like a formula that could print money.

That being said, I personally feel that the game did open up more and more as it went along.

I'd fucking buy a PS4 or a Bone, or whatever for a sequel though.
>>
>>336210919
For the glory of our school!
>>
Fuck, >>336213189, it's all coming back to me now. Does this game emulate well?
>>
>>336210919
The game actually looks pretty good if you have an HD component cable for the original Xbox, I was recently replaying it.
>>
>>336213038

TRPGs (I'm still trying to breed out the term SRPG for this type of game, SPRG = Simulation RPG) are usually incredibly slow affairs.

They require thinking, and planing and using the right tool for the right job.

Current-generation gamers don't want that.

A TRPG wouldn't sell in today's world.
>>
I had a copy of this game for gamecube years ago. I never played it myself, just watched my brother play through it. Sort of makes me wish i still had it.
>>
File: 1437856178231.png (47 KB, 145x133) Image search: [Google]
1437856178231.png
47 KB, 145x133
Ludo did nothing wrong except be named after a shitty board game.
>>
>>336213475

Emulation is always an option Anon. PCSX2 does it well enough if you have the power for it, while Dolphin can practically run on a toaster.
>>
Shit graphics
>>
File: 1460428457103.jpg (85 KB, 804x802) Image search: [Google]
1460428457103.jpg
85 KB, 804x802
>>336213519
>tfw focused way more on Ludo than Valens because he started at level 2
>>
This game was fun as fuck.

>>336213987

Ludo had better damage too if I recall, but Valens started with that "Empower Self" crap that sent his stats skyrocketing for 3 turns.

That being said Ludo was top fucking percent.
>>
File: 1452973623862.jpg (62 KB, 351x514) Image search: [Google]
1452973623862.jpg
62 KB, 351x514
>>336213519
>>336213987
>Ludo
>anything but filler-tier

Look at this ripped motherfucker. He'd beat your ass flat.

The only objectively incorrect option though is Ursula.
>>
File: 1440205563623.jpg (8 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1440205563623.jpg
8 KB, 120x120
I forget why I stopped playing this game. I never finished it.

How deep does the customization get further in? Is it worth playing till the end?
>>
>>336210919
>game is named GLADIUS
>no one in the game uses said weapon
>they all just use long swords
>>
>>336214283

Build is key for the end-game. The AI starts getting really punishing by then, so customization and making your "perfect" dream team is borderline mandatory.

That being said I did play Valens, and his campaign is suppose to be a little harder than the chick's campaign so maybe the game's a little more lenient if you pick her.
>>
File: IMAG0182.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0182.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>there was a sequel in development
>it was cancelled

just fuck my shit up

still have my gamecube copy!
>>
>>336210919
i hate the timed combat shit

i bought it used at the blockbuster i worked it. was worth it. bought the hulk game as well , wish i grabbed killer 7

stole pokemon xD eat shit blockbuster
>>
>>336214173
When I replayed and focused on Valens things were so much easier, that one battle where you have fight enemies with one gladiator was piss easy with him.
>>
>>336214464
>there was a sequel in development

This is news to me. Source?
>>
>>336214504
>hate the timed combat

LOL! I just found the one person who shits up the place because he couldn't get the swing timer down!
>>
>>336214625

I remember reading an article about it a few years back, but I can't find it now.
>>
>>336210919

I liked it. Can't find my copy though.
>>
>>336211862
It's a great game

hell it even had 2 player co-op.
>>
>>336215087

It had fucking co-op too? Did you just alternate between the characters or did the second player play the other story, or how did it work?
>>
>>336214876

Damn, that's too bad. Would have been an interesting read.
>>
>>336215420

What I remember about it was that the game was going to be Xbox 360 and PS3. It's probably for the best it never came to be.
>>
>>336215545

Yeah, at least when it doesn't come out there's nothing that can tarnish it's legacy. Now we can always look back at the first one and imagine all the best aspects of the sequel that never came.
>>
Fuck yeah Gladius. Criminally underrated game. I remember I had this one peltast chick recruited from the starting area that was fucking deadly.

>>336213038
Nobody cares about any that aren't Fire Emblem, sadly. I love FE but I'd appreciate some more options that bring different stuff to the table. You usually know what you're getting with FE.
>>
>>336215545
Amen brother.

>>336216949
True. It's too bad FE never tries to do anything interesting with the formula that can't be deemed a horrible idea from a mile away. Like mixing it with pop-idol shit. I still can't fathom who thought this'd be a good idea.

Personally, I don't understand why Square hasn't put a B-team or something on a FFT3, or a new FFTA game.
>>
>>336210919

The only thing I know related to Gladius is the sword that's in the locker room of the first level of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
>>
File: 1450626282022.jpg (9 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1450626282022.jpg
9 KB, 400x300
>>336217156

What it actually is, is a short Roman sword, or long knife, often used by the cannon-fodder of the Roman army.

It was often used by gladiators too, because it was light and allowed flashy combat for the audience.
>>
Is Gladius pronounced "Gley-di-us" or is it more "Glad-ius", or "Glad-eye-us"?

I've heard people say different variations.
>>
>>336217441
The way I was taught Latin, it would be "glahd ee oos", but since I'm not speaking Latin I usually think of it as "glad ee us"
>>
File: 1461651044105.png (606 KB, 1233x695) Image search: [Google]
1461651044105.png
606 KB, 1233x695
there was a demo for this on xbox i think with fable. it was one of those timed demos. played the hell out of it but obviously never got far

eventually got to the point where i could go fast enough to get halfway through the second stage but the demo forced me out.

always wanted the full version but never could find it. its remained in the very back of my thoughts ever since as a game i will play one day
>>
>>336217685

Now is the time, Anon. It looks better than the Xbox on the PS2, and PCSX2 does it justice.

Or if you're on a toaster, Dolphin runs it, but with some resolution difficulties.

You owe it to your younger self to play this fun-as-fuck game.

If you want to go hardcore, watch the TV show Spartacus while you play. It'll put you in the right mood.
>>
>>336217337

I'm well aware of what a gladius is. I'm speaking about the easter egg. There was an asset they took from the game and put it into the arena locker rooms. Get it, arena fighters in space are gladiators.

C'mon man. Read into the context of the sentence.
>>
>>336217910

Forgive me for trying to force-feed you a little sword-history!
>>
File: cordelia robin.jpg (50 KB, 506x441) Image search: [Google]
cordelia robin.jpg
50 KB, 506x441
>>336217056
>Like mixing it with pop-idol shit. I still can't fathom who thought this'd be a good idea.
I'm right there with you man. Although expanding support conversations to near dating sim levels seems to have worked out for it.

One thing I'd improve about Gladius would be personalities for the rank and file gladiators. Unless I'm misremembering they were all blank slates besides Ursula, Valens, and Ludo.
>>
>>336210919
>It's like Spartacus meets Final Fantasy Tactics meets Legend of Dragoon.
>And ends like a fucking mess

Yeah.
>>
>>336218785
>a fucking mess

How? The gameplay is SRPG to the letter, with the only inclusion of the swing-timer to add some actual reaction-skill to the mix.

The story is the typical gladiator affair of wanting your clan/guild/school/unit to rise in the ranks with a few good personalities here and there.

How the fuck can you look at this and say "yeah, it's a fucking mess"?
>>
>>336218510

There were other personalities in the game too, but all your men were blank slates. Reminded me a little of Tactics Ogre in that respect.
>>
I don't get why SRPG never married Grand Strategies.

Moving around a map and then taking turns moving units around a field sounds like a great idea to me.
>>
One last bump for a great game.
>>
>>336210919
Loved this game.

Mom got it for me for christmas because she knew I loved the movie Gladiator. I knew nothing about it but it ended up sparking my love for turn-based strategy.
>>
>>336213415
What's the best place to buy an Xbox? I've been wanting to get one just for KOTOR.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.