[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one become a video game developer? Do you just have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1461947903450.png (2 MB, 862x890) Image search: [Google]
1461947903450.png
2 MB, 862x890
How does one become a video game developer? Do you just have know people who are already in the industry or what, there isn't exactly a "game development" major in college and those video game industry schools are degree mills that'll only get you hired doing lines of code then laid off, if you're even that lucky.
>>
>>336210861
Tell lies
Tell sweet little lies
>>
>>336210861
>How does one become a video game developer?
develop video games

Are you talking about being a legitimate game developer, or becoming a meme like Notch or Gabe Newell or Todd Howard? There are a lot of people who are game developers. They got to where they are by developing video games.
>>
By studying videogame-related activities (design, programming, 3D modelling etc) and being hired by a videogame company as a trainee/jr. employee position?
Or just starting your own company
>>
>>336211445
>develop games

Uh, I want to be a meme-developer like Howard or Kojima, how do I get a job like that? According to both of them, they just supposedly asked and got they're jobs.
>kojima was a college dropout
>Howard claims to have asked Bethesda for a job every timr he passed by their office

According to the people in the industry, it sounds like you either had to be there before it became a billion dollar industry or else you ain't getting in.
I'm legitimately confused as to how I can just "develop" games, can you explain?
No bully.
>>
Be a business guy, an art guy, or a programming guy. Look for job openings. Apply.
Alternatively, study everything, make your own game, and be indie guy.
If you're an 'idea guy' then just fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>336210861

im a talented indie developer, all I had to do was work on a game for years and upload it to Steam

if you want to be a Todd Howard , then start practicing your lies
>>
>>336211624
What about just as a writer? Is it even worth it to pursue a writing degree in college for this? I know a lot of game studios don't have actual writers on staff- they just let the developers come up with the story and plot and the writers simply fill in item descriptions and shit.
>>
>>336211776
Make your own company and make a game that abuses normies stupidity.
>>
>>336212020
noooo
if you're a good writer that has to be icing on the cake. you need to be business guy, art guy, or programming guy
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 450x577) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 450x577
>>336211974
What if I want to be Pete Hines?
>>
be charismatic to the point where it overshadows your talent
>>
from what ive seen and been told, its all about actually making games. shitty for-profit colleges degrees do nothing if you dont have a great portfolio.

try to narrow down what you want to do in the video game field to give yourself a starting point. want to model and rig 3d models? download blender or the like and pull up some youtube videos. want to program? pick a language common in the game field and start learning.

it wont be easy, will take a long time, and you may not be successful, but once you get started youll find out what you have a passion for.

or you could just forget all of that and make a game in a shitty game engine like construct 2 or rpg maker. youll be pretty limited in what kind of games you can make, but you should have some fun along the way lol
>>
>>336210861

Make something in java and shitpost it on /v/. Become a billionaire in a few years.
>>
>>336211776

If you ask really nice and are good with making mock ups/stuff that looks like it works so long as you don't play it beyond a demo, you've already got a leg in.
>>
>>336212369
hes not a developer

Pete finally combined his professional writing with his gaming hobby in 1999, when he was recruited to Bethesda Softworks' marketing department. Pete writes the games' manuals as well as being in charge of all information that is released to the public - press releases, web and blog updates, and announcement posts on the forums. Along with Todd Howard, Pete is frequently interviewed by the press and gives demonstrations of in-development games to industry organizations and (such as at PAX) the wider public.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.