[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is he in charge of Zelda again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 58
File: eiji-aonuma.jpg (542 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
eiji-aonuma.jpg
542 KB, 1280x720
Why is he in charge of Zelda again?
>>
In Asian cultures seniority >>> talent

that may or may not apply to this situation, I don't know enough
>>
seniority, Nintendo is japanese as fuck so they still do the whole thing where they leave old farts in charge of stuff way longer than they should
>>
File: 41RGOC-aGjL._SY300_.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41RGOC-aGjL._SY300_.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>336188370
>>
>>336188353
That's fucking retarded because Koizumi was on the Zelda team since A Link to the Past.
>>
>>336188505
I'm sorry but did Koizumi work on fucking puppets?
Look at this craftsmanship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFZEGvxixI
>>
>Koizumi: Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?
>Aonuma: Hey, that sounds good… Not!
>Koizumi: I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.
>Aonuma:No way. (firmly)
>Everyone:(laughs)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/7
>>
>>336188205
Last I checked, Zelda games still print money, just not as much anymore, but regardless.
>>
>>336188205
because he never completed the 1st one
>>336188370
>>>/b/
>>
File: aonuma_whatstheuse.png (423 KB, 669x1074) Image search: [Google]
aonuma_whatstheuse.png
423 KB, 669x1074
>>336188205

Miyamoto hand selected him to take over the series while everyone else like Tezuka and Koizumi went to work on their own projects.

Basically, Aonuma was the only one of the Ocarina of Time team who stayed working on Zelda. Though there's plenty of people who would do a better job and care about Zelda more than he does.
>>
>>336188205
Not sure. While WW and TP were okay, I noticed that they got more and more bland, or formulaic, I cant quite find the right word for it, but it seems like a less adequate title compared to MM and OoT.
>>
>>336190168
Koizumi seems like he still wants to work on it
>>
>>336190476

Old Zelda focused on exploration and gameplay above all else. There was dialogue and a story, but it was mostly developed near the end of the game as a means to link the various areas together. As this is how most of Miyamoto's games tend to be like. He always wants to make the game engine before the story.

When Aonuma took over, the story and lore became the focus above all else. The story and cutscenes were developed first, with the exploration and gameplay put in to link them together. Basically, the exact opposite of what early Zelda did. Great for all the lore fags, but horrible for the people who like exploration and dungeons.
>>
File: Hyrulesong.jpg (432 KB, 955x2500) Image search: [Google]
Hyrulesong.jpg
432 KB, 955x2500
Have you read Iwata Asks?

He's actually not a bad director. He really is one of the reasons why OoT is so good. He used to push people to get things done.

It seems like he gave up when all the new blood entered during the Nintendo renovation post-Yamauchi. It's not his fault he got stuck with a bunch of newbs.

As for the whole, I-can't-beat-Octoroks shtick. Yeah, it's sad, but then again it was said in light-hearted conversation, and to his credit, Octoroks are hard in the original Zelda. A group can easily kill you at the beginning of the game if you're trying to kill them. They are not the ideal enemies to farm for rupees.
>>
>>336190545
He asked Aonuma once to trade franchise for one game, he laughed.

Miyamoto pick him for Mario because he needs someone wit talent to take care of Mario.
>>
>>336191051
>Great for all the lore fags
Christ now, Anouma's storytelling is shit and he actively craps over the older games and tries to make their stories irrelevant.
>>
>>336191140
M8, you know Aonuma work in OoT was minimal? He designed the water temple and little more.

It was Koizumi and the rest who hit their heads against the keyboard trying to appease Miyamoto desires.
>>
>>336191324
He kinda sounded like a prick about it
>>
>>336191140

The Aonuma apologist is at it again.

Just because Aonuma took credit for some of the dungeon design, that doesn't mean he was the driving force that made Ocarina of Time. There was 4 other co-directors and a legion or designers who worked on the game with him.

>It seems like he gave up when all the new blood entered during the Nintendo renovation post-Yamauchi. It's not his fault he got stuck with a bunch of newbs.
So you're basing this on speculation. But when it comes to being a director, it falls on his head if the people working under him don't do a good job. It also contradicts your claim that he was pushing people during the development of Ocarina of Time. Because then why did he stop?
>>
Because his son really likes the games.
>>
>>336191324

>Miyamoto pick him for Mario because he needs someone wit talent to take care of Mario

That's cool, but honestly Koizumi has been wasted on the Mario series for the last ten years because all he feels like doing is producing the games. The game he's put the most passion into is still Majora's Mask.
>>
>>336188205
Nintendo is a failing company run by a bunch of old men who are completely out of touch with the gaming market and refuse to adapt or change outside of forced gimmicks to give the appearance of evoltuion
>>
>>336191720
>He can't make drama stories anymore
>He joined video games for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBnxbHndCw8
>>
>>336190168
That's the thing, for a great zelda game you need them all together, if someone is missing, the game loses.
>>
2014: "See that mountain? You can go there!"

2017: The mountain is a cliff with nothing on it except a mandatory NPC quest.
>>
>>336191993

I honestly fear that I might succumb to this fate as well. My talents are first and foremost in writing, and it's the thing I'm most passionate about, but the company I'm starting with next week has zero to no interest in narratives.
>>
>>336191140
Read the Iwata ask about OoT m8, both the one with the staff and Miyamoto.

OoT development as basically
>Miyamoto: I have idea, rear time on game
>Devs: Shit is hard Miyamoto-sama
>Miyamoto: I give no shits, put it now
>"Days later"
>Devs: There, time passes naturally
>Miyamoto: Why seasons don't change?
>Devs: we can't do that shit with the current hardware
>Miyamoto: Ok....I want horse combat now, arso put more rocks to pick up there and ress grass over there, do you want to bore prayers with so many rocks and little grass?
>>
>>336192046

Well the first Zelda game was literally just Miyamoto, Tezuka and two programmers. And I still think its one of the best Zelda games.

The later Zelda games are trying too hard to be cinematic focused story games. Which even Aonuma has admitted during his reveal of Zelda U. The issue is, will Zelda U really be a return to the free roaming, exploration focus of the old games? Its hard to believe that since Aonuma has also said he hates those kinds of games and couldn't finish any 2D Zelda game.
>>
>>336192285
Pull a Koizumi and sneak it in
>>
>>336192285

Do like the creator of Final Fantasy did. Work hard on a few action games until you have enough clout in the company. Then ask them to greenlight a story driven game with you as director.

But don't follow Sakaguci by being such a shitty writer who copies Star Wars and Dragon Ball for everything.
>>
File: 1375043006460.png (373 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
1375043006460.png
373 KB, 704x528
>>336191550
>minimal
He was assigned to so much during OoT that he can't even remember it all. He oversaw all the child dungeons and at least the layout (maybe not the contents) of the adult temples. One of the directors reminded him that he also made storyboards to fill in gaps where someone wasn't doing something. They also note in that interview that back then "director" was a vague term and doesn't mean the same thing as today, crediting him as more than dungeon director.

The Super Mario 64 team are the ones who made the content of the adult dungeons though. Which is why they are thanked in the credits. However, Aonuma did a lot.

>>336191581
He stopped maybe because they were untalented and went into video games as a career, rather than being part of the gen that forged the industry out of their shattered dreams as artists of other mediums. Yes, it's speculation, but the fact that aside from the main artist and Yoichi Yamada, I don't know anyone who transitioned over to later Zelda games, besides Aonuma; I feel it proves my point.
>>
>>336192285

Write a story on the side. And casually show it to people in the company when you have a chance.
>>
>>336192806

And plenty of people use speculation to say the exact opposite. That possibly Aonuma doesn't have the talent to be a director and is the main reason later Zelda games became sub par. You're not proving any point. You're just coming up with an opposing theory.

But if Zelda U turns out to be like Twilight Princess, we'll know for sure that Aonuma is the problem. He's basically become the Sakamoto of the project.
>>
>>336192545
I don't see how you an sneak plot into Civ

>>336192558
>>336192879
Already been doing this. I've been writing my own universe and making assets for it since 2013. Frankly that impressive portfolio is probably the reason I got picked up by Firaxsis despite being so young.
>>
File: Zelda Fanbase.png (137 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Fanbase.png
137 KB, 640x1136
>>336188205
Cause he makes good games.

Cry all you want, the only bad Zeldas are the DS entries and even they have some good ideas in them.
>>
>>336193201

I'm envious. Fraxis is one of the few groups I still think has some quality to it. But I don't think you're gonna be able to get many new projects greenlit under them. The only seem to work on 1-2 games at a time. And mostly ideas Sid Meier comes up with.

Try to put in a word for a sequel to Sim Golf though please. I'll buy 10 copies.
>>
>>336193321

>the only bad Zeldas are the DS entries
And Twilight, which Aonuma directed. And despite how much people ignore this, Aonuma still oversaw the production of the DS games. He even came up with the idea for the horrible touch controls.
>>
File: 1359267856898.png (802 KB, 857x1961) Image search: [Google]
1359267856898.png
802 KB, 857x1961
>>336190168
Beat me to that picture.
>>
>>336193321
Hey, Animal Crossing and Kirby have both had consistently good games. AC is literally a slight improvement on the past game every single time and nobody shitposts about it. And for Kirby, while some of the games were lackluster compared to others, they are all good and the community believes that way.

Zelda community is split up in a lot of ways, I think, and that's why they tend to be such asshole to each other and everyone else. also don't you dare include Triforce Heroes in "DS entires", that game was great fun
>>
>>336194027

>AC is literally a slight improvement on the past game every single time and nobody shitposts about it.
Plenty of people complain about it. Just like plenty of people complain about Pokemon not changing enough. But as long as AC keeps selling 2-3 million per game, Nintendo won't put forward the effort to change it.

Zelda has the opposite problem. It changes too much and throws out good ideas in each sequel. But it still sells well so Nintendo doesn't care.
>>
>>336193760

Will do, especially since Sid likes me.
>>
>>336194027
>AC is literally a slight improvement on the past game every single time and nobody shitposts about it.
None of this is true, though.

WW is better than the GCN in some ways but worse in others. CF is technically better than WW but not worth the loss of portability. NL is better in most regards than older games, but still quite different from the GCN.

And there are occasionally people who shitpost about New Leaf's new characters (esp. Isabelle) ruin the series, although they're sort of rare since most of the fanbase is casuals who like cute animals.
>>
File: OdowlaLink.png (792 KB, 901x1021) Image search: [Google]
OdowlaLink.png
792 KB, 901x1021
>>336193065
Which is easier to believe? That he's a bad director with nine lives, or that EAD Team is used as a gateway for new people entering Nintendo to experiment with titles that are guaranteed to sell?

Also, you keep saying Aonuma this and that. But last I heard, he's not even the director of Zelda U. In fact, in one interview he says his job has become essentially what it was in TP and SS; writing the dialogue between Link and other characters.

>>336193881
Phantom Hourglass was his brainchild and it's one of the best Zelda games. It's infinitely more replayable than on-rails Spirit Tracks where he only worked on the puzzles, which were the only good thing about that game.
>>
>>336194243
I wasn't aware of the complaints about Animal Crossing. I think the change to New Leaf was a somewhat big addition, and think it added a lot. But I'd agree that you could say Nintendo is slacking a little when you compare it to what else they do.

I'm not sure they'll ever change pokemon up too much, but it'll still sell.

>>336194438
Yeah, I didn't know about this. I guess I usually just run into people that are casuals that like cute animals.
>>
>>336193201

Jump ship to Bungie so Destiny 2 has an actual plot and not just vague souls like lore
>>
>>336194646

I don't think my writing style would mesh well with Destiny. I like to tell story through background details, audio logs, and object placement rather than cutscenes and dialogue dumps.
>>
>>336188205
Because he sells millions of games, what kind of retarded question is that OP?
>>
>>336188205
Miyamoto grew tired of it. Why he picked Aonuma of all people is a mystery to me.
>>
File: animalcrossing_sweat.gif (351 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
animalcrossing_sweat.gif
351 KB, 160x160
>>336194551

The biggest complaint in New Leaf is how you can't interact with Isabelle, despite her being your assistant and sitting in the mayor's office all fucking day. Its really sad how they went to all that effort to make a character who is suppose to help you, but literally does nothing outside of the first two days and taking your build order.

Outside of what most people say, I will say that New Leaf has the same problem as every other Animal Crossing. Tons of stuff to do for the first week, then it just turns into a game you turn on for an hour a day. Collect the fruit, talk to 2-3 NPCs and get their item wants, go to th island, then turn off the game. I've pretty much had it. I won't get a new Animal Crossing game until they introduce something more. Farming, mining, whatever. A fucking Harvest Moon game on the N64 has more to do than an AC game on the Wii and 3DS? Just pathetic.
>>
>>336194857

Actually thats mostly how the plot in destiny is shown.

Instead of audio logs its item descriptions though.

Thought its probably for the best, I read an article saying Destiny's dev tools are garbage and simple map edits take overnight to compile
>>
File: OoT-Know_It_All_Sep98.jpg (16 KB, 258x185) Image search: [Google]
OoT-Know_It_All_Sep98.jpg
16 KB, 258x185
Found it:

>The last we heard the Zelda Wii U was delayed, which is something Nintendo always does. Wondering how things are going? In the most recent issue of Famitsu, series producer Eiji Aonuma was asked just that. “Busy,” he replied.

>Continuing, he said, “When we did Skyward Sword for the Wii, at the end stages of development, I was in charge of the characters’ dialogue and the in-game text. And, now as well, it’s like it was then. I had to work on text today, too,” he said with a laugh.

>“But, the game has really taken shape, and things have gotten easier. That means things are progressing well.”

>According to Aonuma, the keyword this time is “something new.” Ocarina of Time was a huge leap for the Zelda series and since then Aonuma explained, “I think the base of our secret sauce has always been Ocarina of Time. But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.”

>“Please look forward to it, because I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like Ocarina of Time was,” Aonuma added.

http://kotaku.com/an-update-on-zelda-wii-u-1764000736
>>
>>336194479

>That he's a bad director with nine lives, or that EAD Team is used as a gateway for new people entering Nintendo to experiment with titles that are guaranteed to sell?
That Aonuma is a lackluster director.

Your theory is just stupid. They wouldn't be putting all the newbies and people who lacked talent specifically on the Zelda team. Especially since we know a lot of the newer people worked on games like Mario Galaxy and Splatoon.
>>
File: 1432010911818.jpg (348 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1432010911818.jpg
348 KB, 750x750
>>336194479

>Phantom Hourglass was his brainchild and it's one of the best Zelda games.
Everything you say from now on is totally invalidated. And hot damn, you are such an Aounoma defender.
>>
>>336195046
I agree. The mayor feature should be more fleshed out, we need better interactions with all villagers (including Isabelle) and just more shit to do. I'd happily take an additional thing I could do for bells (like fishing and bug catching, but not that fucking deep sea diving shit) and I think what is really important is some more long term goals. I always lost motivation because once you max out your house and buy the furniture you want, you're done. And you are lucky if you make it that far.
>>
File: wtfamireading_155.jpg (18 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
wtfamireading_155.jpg
18 KB, 350x350
>>336194479

>this whole post
>>
>>336195442
>I think what is really important is some more long term goals. I always lost motivation because once you max out your house and buy the furniture you want, you're done. And you are lucky if you make it that far.
But those town projects are supposed to be your long term goals anon, arent you having fun trying to raise hundreds of thousands of bells just to make a bench or put a rock on the ground?
>>
>>336195186
>‘something new’

he means it being open world.
>>
WW and TP were good, I don't get the hate for this man. You could probably put a lot of blame on Shiggy since he bugs Aonuma during development with passive aggressive statements like "Isn't this weird?" when he's not happy with something.
>>
>>336195617
>randomly unlocked once a day, less if you actually play and don't abuse the swimming trick
>no way to actually get the ones you want specifically
>no actual manual placement, just retarded approximations with retarded limitations because you were unfortunate enough to be one centimeter too close to the river
If they want me to design my entire town, then give me the tools to do it rather than forcing me through tedious guesswork and placing down one pattern at a time on the ground.
>>
>>336195617
Exactly. If I could at least pick where my shit went on a grid like a normal human being, or if literally any of them did anything of value or anything cool, I might work towards them, but it's just not worth it. Especially when doing shit like paths to make your town look really nice was literally the biggest pain in the ass in the entire world.

Hopefully in the next game they bring over some of the features of HHD so that we aren't stuck with retarded limitations.
>>
File: 1266958639517.png (43 KB, 300x500) Image search: [Google]
1266958639517.png
43 KB, 300x500
>>336195191
>wouldn't put newbs on Zelda
There were 100 people on the Skyward Sword team. For comparison, Ocarina of Time had 50 people and was made over the course of two and half years, 24/7, 18 hours a day. Skyward Sword was completed in little over a year. The game was kickstarted in 2009 after Wii Sports Resort, and shown off at E3 2010. In December it was 50% complete according to Miyamoto. It was released in November of 2011. Math doesn't add up, as to why a Zelda game with double the work force as OoT winds up with whole lot less content than Twilight Princess and still has to cut corners (Heart medals).
>>
File: I DONT BELIEVE YOU GUYS.jpg (60 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
I DONT BELIEVE YOU GUYS.jpg
60 KB, 361x361
>it's a "let's demonize people we've never even met because they dare to be their own people instead of our slaves" thread
>>
File: 1434582702377.png (600 KB, 600x529) Image search: [Google]
1434582702377.png
600 KB, 600x529
>>336195617

There needs to be more to do besides just the overall town buildings. Something you can do as a single player. Even if its something as simple as farming, it will have more of an impact than spending 20 days saving up enough money for a postbox.

And the elephant in the room most people don't want to admit is that the idea of real time is what holds the game back. On paper it sounds nice. But in practice, the player gets annoyed by being on a time table. A game like Harvest Moon is good because, while you are forced to do things by seasons or in a specific order, you still feel a sense of accomplishment. A whole season will take about 10 hours to pass, but you're still passing the turn when you choose to. Versus Animal Crossing where you are forced to stop playing each day, because there's no more fruit on the trees or fish in the river. The NPCs won't give you any more tasks. And there's nothing new to buy at the shop. You either have to wait until tomorrow to do more or reset your DS clock manually. Over many weeks, the game stops feeling like a game and feels more like a job.
>>
File: 1443372576359.jpg (26 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1443372576359.jpg
26 KB, 500x335
>>336189357
>http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/7
there will never be another comfy Iwata asks
>>
>>336196224

It is a common practice with high budget games to hire a ton of temporary coders and designers, to make it go faster. These people aren't 'newbies' as you put it, but temporary people hired just to work on the project. They also don't have a say in what content is going into the game. Aonuma and the head designers are the ones who come up with that.

And once again, a game like Mario Galaxy or Splatoon did the same thing. Yet they came out much better than a game like Twilight Princess.
>>
>>336188505
It's not like Koizumi had Zelda stolen from him. He got to lead his own team.

You seem to have made up this scenario where Yamauchi or someone came up to them and said "HAHA, AONUMA YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE BLOOD SACRIFICE AND GAINED CONTROL OF THE ZELDA FRANCHISE FOR ETERNITY! KOIZUMI, FOR YOUR INSOLENCE YOU ARE BANISHED TO THE DEPTHS OF THE MARIO DUNGEON"
>>
>>336196446
I'm optimistic about the incoming "Kimishima demands''.
>>
>>336196749
He demands more mobile games and amiibo Anon
Yakuza boss ain't living up to the hype
>>
>>336191051
Except Koizumi was key to Zelda becoming more story focused.

And you're completely full of shit for implying Wind Waker and TP somehow didn't have a huge amount of exploration. WW is practically built entirely around exploration, as opposed to Majora's Mask that Koizumi had a lot of control on and probably had the least amount of exploration and most amount of story of the entire franchise.
>>
>>336196872

Nintendo most likely does have some relation to Yakuza actually. Look up how shady Gunpei Yokoi's death was.
>>
>>336197156

Majora's Mask had a shitton of exploration, but it was based around exploring how you could mess with the timeline rather than exploring a geographically large area.
>>
>>336196872
I'm not so sure, I have heard Nintendo's ''next time we'll be ready and have games for our new console'' tale before but Kimishima is the first absolute madman that cancelled 2016 and declared Wii U dead so it could feed its carcass to NX.
>>
He made midna so he's fine by me.

Though i really wish he never made cat eye link.
>>
>>336197546
That doesn't guarantee quality games though
>>
>>336195442
Maybe they need more jobs.
Run a store, become a farmer, become an archeologist, keep away the spooky ghosts from the haunted mansion, become the town doctor.
Stuff like that.

Also some minigames and town building stuff would be interesting.
>>
>>336197156

>Except Koizumi was key to Zelda becoming more story focused.
He wasn't the only one. Miyamoto also pushed for Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past to have more story than the previous games. But he still emphasized that the game engine and gameplay was more important. The story was last to go into both those games.

Majora's Mask was the first Zelda game where the story took a front seat. And that's mostly because a lot of the games resources and the entire game engine were already complete (Ocarina of Time). I personally didn't like how Majora's Mask focused so much on repeating NPC events and story, but it was a one time occurrence so I excused it as just trying something new. However, Aonuma's games became progressively more and more story focused. Until you got to games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword which literally have 10+ hours of cutscenes.

>And you're completely full of shit for implying Wind Waker and TP somehow didn't have a huge amount of exploration.
Wind Waker had a large overworld, but Aonuma himself had come out and said the idea for having the world flooded was to cut down on making such a detailed overworld. Which he claims he is trying to remedy with Zelda U. He also admits a lot of stuff planned for the game was removed. Like the ability to explore the hyrule overworld under the sea.

And if you think Twilight Princess had exploration, you're just fucking stupid. The only 'exploration' was 'walk into a new zone and watch a cutscene'. And the small areas leading up to a temple. To make things worse, the Twilight mechanic holds your hand so much, you can't even go to a new area until the story allows you to. It is the perfect example of NOT being exploration focused.
>>
File: retardalert.png (177 KB, 301x256) Image search: [Google]
retardalert.png
177 KB, 301x256
>>336194479
Nigga, Spirit Tracks was a vast improvement over Phantom Hourglass, and I adore PH.
>>
File: advantschuuua.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
advantschuuua.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>336188205
Because Miyamoto is too old and has more fun just watching over things.

He gave us MM and WW. Aonuma is the best that could have happened to Zelda.

Reminder for newfags and children: Aonuma was not the lead director of Skyward Sword or the DS games.
>>
>>336194479

Phantom Hourglass has a special place in my heart as my first Zelda.

That said, please contact your nearest hospital to see if your low IQ qualifies you for a free snip.
>>
File: cibpRal.gif (498 KB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
cibpRal.gif
498 KB, 500x206
>>336199862
>PH
>first Zelda
First, my condolences, second, how old the hell are you?
>>
>>336193065
>But if Zelda U turns out to be like Twilight Princess, we'll know for sure that Aonuma is the problem.
How could it be like Twilight Princess? Based on the informations we already know, how could this possibly happen?

Are people like you retarded?
>>
>>336199992

I turned 18 in March. the craziest part? I'm also the poster of >>336193201
>>
>>336188505

And he now gets to produce Mario mainline games. That's a huge fucking honor.
>>
File: la la la.gif (20 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
la la la.gif
20 KB, 500x200
>>336195186

>Continuing, he said, “When we did Skyward Sword for the Wii, at the end stages of development, I was in charge of the characters’ dialogue and the in-game text. And, now as well, it’s like it was then. I had to work on text today, too,” he said with a laugh.

So all the theories are true. We can blame Aonouma for what was wrong in Skyward Sword as well. Even though he didn't direct it, he was the reason it focused so much on story and cutscenes.

I say they return to how it was back on the GBA/GC days. Let Hidemaro Fujibayashi make his own Zelda games without the meddling of Aonuma. And see how well it turns out.
>>
File: 1439167328940.png (608 KB, 800x557) Image search: [Google]
1439167328940.png
608 KB, 800x557
>>336199860
>He gave us MM and WW
He did? Those were my favorites. If he was the one mostly in charge than i just take this as a sign he needs to do it more. I didnt care for TP or SS at all.
>>
>>336200248
But he's held back and he knows this

>And so that was my first experience doing the kind of work that we would now call "event design." But there were not too many people at the time with expertise in that area, so I really had free reign to do what I wanted, so long as I didn’t make Miyamoto angry.
http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

>I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience. With the Mario games, you don’t need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game.
>Mr. Koizumi is the type of person who, whenever we’re working on a new Mario game, he always wants to bring more story elements into it, as he did with Super Mario Galaxy. But in talking with him this time, he agrees and feels that with Galaxy 2, there won’t be a need for as deep of a story.
>“Well, I put a stop to that at the beginning, this time,” Miyamoto said, and for emphasis punched the air with his fist.
>They always want to have these dramatic scenes where Princess Peach gets kidnapped, but I always tell them, no, it’s fine — Princess Peach likes cake, so you can just have them use cake as bait to kidnap Princess Peach, and that’s enough. [...] I was thinking they could have these big ships come in, and they’ve got these big chains all over them, and they drop a plate down with cake on it.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/miyamoto_borking_super_mario_galaxy_2s_story
>>
>>336200152
>this young
Are you a cute fuccboi at least who likes to get diddled while playing Zeruda in his underwear?
>>
>>336200082

Just because a game has an open world doesn't mean it'll be free roaming. The next Zelda game could have the exact same linearity as Twilight Princess, just with a much larger distance between each NPC and cutscene. Especially since Aonuma keeps comparing it to Skyrim which was the worst offender of this last gen.
>>
>>336200491

No
>>
>>336200416
You must have some baby-tier reading comprehension if that's what you read. He said he was in charge of doing that shit, not that it was his idea.

I say you fuck off and go choke yourself.
>>
>>336194953
Aonuma made wooden dolls in college which reminded Miyamoto of himself. That is the reason.
>>
File: 523.jpg (98 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
523.jpg
98 KB, 1080x1080
>>336200452
Of course he did. You should know this browsing this thread. Hope this is your first post here.

It's most deifnitely just another "le Koizumi" meme thread made by autistic retards that have no idea Koizumi only wrote the story and otherwise did very minor things.

The Zelda fanbase is pretty retarded in general, sadly.
>>
>>336200624

Yeah yeah, nothing is ever Aonumas fault. Its all the 'newbies' who are planning the games story and gameplay.
>>
>>336194953
Because he is the best for the job proven by WW and MM.

Too bad something tells me Zelda U will have the SS hack again as lead designer.
>>
>>336188205
Kojima w/ beard
>>
>>336200659
Actually i wouldnt, since people are happy to make dumb generalities about who did what.
>>
>>336200578
Then fuck off.

The idea debating =<18 year old children here makes me sick.
>>
>>336200701
0/10
>>
>>336200454

>Shiggy will never realize that the good/usefulness of stories in video games isn't a black-and-white issue, but something you need to actually look closely at in a case-by-case manner.
>>
File: 1434671703448.png (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434671703448.png
16 KB, 500x500
>>336200659
Yeah, sometimes they post random pigsluts
>>
>>336200416
>the dialogues were what is wrong with Skyward Sword
Are you retarded or something? The sidequests and dialogues were still one of the best things about this turd.

The quest design, loading times everywhere, lack of proper open world, no day and night cycle, only one shitty village, terrible new tribes were the things wrong with Skyward Sword.

Aonuma was not the lead director of this game. Stop blaming him for this pile of shit.

Fucking children too dumb to look up Wikipedia for a second.
>>
>>336200838

I don't think you're giving Shiggy enough credit. He produced Thousand Year Door, after all.
>>
>>336200964
I prefer his picture over yours, virgin.
>>
>>336200452
Aonuma also did TP. He took part in skyward sword but fujibayashi was the main director.

Usually it was miya looking over, he wasn't doing that in SS.
>>
File: a4e.jpg (19 KB, 200x320) Image search: [Google]
a4e.jpg
19 KB, 200x320
>>336188205
Literally because Miyamoto liked his Puppets.
>>
File: 1439660672898.png (59 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
1439660672898.png
59 KB, 250x313
>>336201090
Why would anyone care what you think?
>>
>>336195186
You know he is obsessed with surpassing OoT?
He even stated he won't stop working until he does, which is the reason each 3D Zelda is just OoT with a gimmick.
>>
File: GZ2P01-103.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GZ2P01-103.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>336201104
>Aonuma also did TP.
Which would have been a 10/10 game with like three changes:

1) Money more useful and satisfying to find. They probably planned a crafting system for the game à la SS but ran out of time. I believe this because there is way more money than you can spend and to make up for this they added many money sink quests. There are at least like three money sink quests. It's very likely in most of the chests there were supposed to be materials inside instead of money.

2) Put some actual content between the ice dungeon and the time dungeon and the sky dungeon and the twilight dungen and the twilight dungeon and the final dungeon. There is no content between those dungeons at all. A new area or creative quests would have helped a lot. A few more sidequests and a little more content in the overworld, something like the Lon-Lon Farm. A few buildings or a settlement.

3) Higher difficulty, faster enemies.
>>
>>336201456
MM and WW were quite different from OoT though.
>>
>>336201456
Not that anon, but I hope he goes back and and does something like TP again, i like what this anon posted.

>>336201456
I really hope that he does the new zelda well and it isn't just open world with nothing to do.

and i hope its MM timeline related
>>
File: 424.jpg (1 MB, 1400x3296) Image search: [Google]
424.jpg
1 MB, 1400x3296
>>336195186
It will literally be a WRPG in the Zelda universe. Literally Skyrim with generic NPCs everywhere.

It's a fact at this point. This is what's going to happen.

Must not be a bad thing. I hate Skyrim but Nintendo could easily make it work with the Zelda atmosphere and polishing. I just hope we'll still get a Zelda story and cutscenes.
>>
>>336200996

>The quest design
>loading times everywhere
>lack of proper open world
>terrible new tribes

Congrats. You just named the things Skyward Sword shares with Twilight Princess. A game Aonouma did direct. How are you so sure Aonouma wasn't the one who insisted those things were added? If you look at the other Fujibayashi Zelda games, they don't have any of those.

Until there is some evidence, Aonouma still seems to be the more likely culprit for what went wrong with both TP and SS. And there was even more problems with TP than SS. Skyward Sword, while not being a great Zelda, still improved on a few things TP did wrong.

>Aonuma was not the lead director of this game. Stop blaming him for this pile of shit.
The director isn't a dictator who has total control over a project. Many times, a producer outranks them. This can be seen with Miyamoto outranking Aonouma.
>>
>>336193881
not to mention the whole idea about boats and trains, because his son wanted it
>>
>>336194027
>Zelda community is split up in a lot of ways
Well that started when Nintendo fucked up at showing that link vs ganondorf battle in the NGC teaser and year or two after that, TWW trailer
>>
>>336201868
>And there was even more problems with TP than SS.
I cannot take anything you're saying seriously after reading this. Skyward Sword literally took the flaws Twilight Princess had and made them even worse while adding a bunch of its own.
>>
>>336201868
>Congrats. You just named the things Skyward Sword shares with Twilight Princess. A game Aonouma did direct.
Except they don't share this at all?

TP has a huge overworld which is not infested with puzzles and lets you go fast with Epona in contrast to dungeons which is very important for 3D Zeldas. In Skyward Sword you literally always go slow except for the sky which just feels like a glorified Mario level select map. Not a fan of the TP overworld but at least it tried to have one instead of open-air dungeon crawling with obstacles and easy puzzles slowing you down every 10 seconds. After the first three dungeons, you usually can just run straight to the dungeon if you want without having to do shitty puzzles. While I criticise this and would have liked some quests and content between dungeons, I don't want shitty puzzles forced on me. Puzzles are either a) supposed to be optional or b) belong into dungeons.

TP barely has any SS tier fetch quests or new tribes as awful as the moles or those robots. It has zoras and gorons which I prefer over new stuff that is shit. Also yetis which are great.
>>
>>336193881
If you really want to name a bad 3D Zelda, at least pick Skyward Sword which literally did everything wrong while TP had brilliant dungeons and OoT fanservice. Retard.
>>
>>336202395
SS is like Twilight Princess in reverse, with all the shitty fetch quests crammed into the second half instead of the first.

Which sucks because "exploring" the three areas of the surface the first time was fun
>>
>>336188205

>made the OoT dungeons
>approached Miyamoto to make a new Zelda game (majoras mask)

Basically management like people who show initiative, which Aonuma showed by approaching Shiggy, then he completed Majoras Mask in the timeframe they gave him(one year) which i guess showed management skills(which we all know he lacks).
>>
>>336202624
>Which sucks because "exploring" the three areas of the surface the first time was fun
No it wasn't and it wasn't exploring. Are you that 18 year old child from before? Exploration is when investigating things is optional and you have the feeling that you're the only one who is doing this, this is what makes exploration in games special. In SS it's all forced on you since the level design is linear as fuck.

The desert the first time was a chore. All those awful, slow puzzles with the beetle. Holy shit... don't remind me.
>>
File: 1447806926998.png (363 KB, 900x866) Image search: [Google]
1447806926998.png
363 KB, 900x866
>>336201868
>And there was even more problems with TP than SS
>>
>>336199860
>>336200452
It was Koizumi who did MM, Aonuma team didn do a shit until Koizumi helped them

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/forum/t-1086021/canned-koizumi-game-from-1999

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/majoras_mask_was_inspired_by_koizumis_daydreams

http://www.glitterberri.com/majoras-mask/staff-interview/zelda-is-always-bringing-something-new-to-the-table/
>>
>>336201568
This. Don't see anything else that's wrong with the game and worth mentioning. It's a pity how much potential they wasted by fucking up such minor things.
>>
>>336202918
He did the story. He didn't design any levels or quests per se.

Stop memeing.
>>
>>336188205
Because he's a badass and you guys have shitty taste.
>>
File: Hrrit!.png (31 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
Hrrit!.png
31 KB, 1000x668
>>336202610
>Skyward Sword
>no brilliant dungeons
>what is Sandship, Sky Keep & Ancient Cisern don't count
Fuck off, retard. SS has a fair share of flaws, but its dungeons wasn't one of them.
>>
>>336202997
he didnt, see the sources i posted newtard
>>
File: 1462157423014.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1462157423014.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>336200152
>18 gets job at Firaxis
you god damned hero
tell them to make beyond earth good dammit
>>
>>336202514

>TP has a huge overworld
Stopped reading. The 'overworld' it literally just one of a dozen different zones. And what's even more sad is the zone for hyrule field is smaller than all the other zones.
>>
File: 467396890.jpg (7 KB, 400x216) Image search: [Google]
467396890.jpg
7 KB, 400x216
>>336201568
>There are at least like three money sink quests.
+ a literal money sink armor. There already are upgrades for items in the game like better bombs and bow equipment. It's likely they had something similiar to SS in mind, yes.

I also believe they were thinking about adding a sprint button. You guys remember that spider boss fight with the player running away from it? Wouldn't make much sense without a sprint mechanic. And the boss basically ended up in Skyward Sword.
>>
>>336189357
>firmly
Aonuma seems like a dick
>>
File: 53553.jpg (63 KB, 393x446) Image search: [Google]
53553.jpg
63 KB, 393x446
>>336203276
Pic could also be the flooded forest idea that ended up in Skyward Sword.

Nintendo never goes all out with Zelda, seems like they always cut things out that then end up in the successor so they already have a base to work on.

Hope they go all out with Zelda U for once.
>>
File: 5353535.jpg (317 KB, 1179x1608) Image search: [Google]
5353535.jpg
317 KB, 1179x1608
>>336203079
Most of them didn't even have multiple floors. You never had to use your brain even once or check out a map while you have to check out your map in TP all the time.

This map is just embarrassing.
>>
File: 1413259180233.jpg (79 KB, 489x454) Image search: [Google]
1413259180233.jpg
79 KB, 489x454
>>336202395

Biggest flaws of TP:
-Shitty orb/soul collecting
-So many filler puzzles
-Too many cutscenes
-Overworld is a pointless hub you can avoid by warping
-Massive inconsistencies in dungeon design, a couple good ones and the rest are some of the worst dungeons in the series
-Wolf Link is the worst thing in Zelda series
-Ugly character design made worse with bloom filters everywhere
-Midna is the only interesting character in the story and the only real drive to keep playing the game
-Story limits where you can go

How Skyward Sword fixed them:
-Skyward Sword also had the shitty orb collecting. But it was much faster and more interactive than munching on bugs as Wolf Link.
-Skyward Sword cut down on the number of sliding block/memory puzzles immensely. Mostly putting them in the final dungeon, which was one big sliding block puzzle. But done better than any of the ones in Twilight Princess.
-Skyward Sword shares the cutscene problem just like Twilight Princess. But the characters, especially Groose and Impa, were more interesting than pretty much anyone in TP, save Midna.
-Skyward Sword also has a weak hub overworld. So both games are equal with this
-Skyward Sword had some genuinely good dungeons, I only disliked one of them
-No Wolf Link
-SS also has an ugly character design, but the brighter look of the game made it easier to see than the bloom of TP
-As stated before, there are multiple characters that are interesting in Skyward Sword
-Story also limits where you can go in SS so another flaw it shares with TP
>>
>>336189989
NO
>>
File: arrowattack.jpg (14 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
arrowattack.jpg
14 KB, 400x262
>>336203589
Does anyone else feel like those beta TP screenshots are atmospheric as fuck? Literally all of them.

Wish they would just give us a DLC with them.
>>
File: Ampilus.png (72 KB, 225x216) Image search: [Google]
Ampilus.png
72 KB, 225x216
>>336203932
>-So many filler puzzles
Are you dense? SS has "filler puzzles" literally everywhere. You literally cannot move straight forward for 20 seconds without an obstacle blocking you. Even the enemies were annoying puzzles that sometimes took almost a minute to take down even though they can't harm you in any way.

Meanwhile in TP you are completely free after thef irst 3 dungeons and can go any direction without any shitty obsctales except dungeons (the way it should be in 3D Zeldas).

Not reading the rest of this shit.
>>
>>336203932

You forgot how Skyward Sword had better items than Twilight Princess. Where in TP, you don't use anything but the ball and chain once you get it. And some items like the spinning top is pretty much useless outside of the dungeon you get it.
>>
File: ww new island.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
ww new island.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>336189989
>because he never completed the 1st one
Why would he complete a shit game that even back then was a turd compared to Crystalis?

This only shows Aonuma knows a lot about game design.
>>
>>336203932
Didnt SS also have way more cutscenes? I wouldnt consider slightly improved characters a way for making up for it, the story is still one of the biggest problems with the game.
>>
>>336204292

>Meanwhile in TP you are completely free after thef irst 3 dungeons and can go any direction without any shitty obsctales
Most areas are blocked off by Twilight until Midna (the story) tells you to go there. Its the complete opposite of free roaming.
>>
>>336204485

Skyward Sword has more cutscenes. But TP has far more mandatory NPCs you have to talk to. And the NPCs in TP go on and on forever.

In terms of cutscenes, SS definitely wins. But in terms of mandatory dialogue you have to sit through, TP has far more. Let's just admit both games have too much story.
>>
>>336204502
>After the first 3 dungeons

Yeah and after that you're "free" like anon said.
>>
>>336204687

Pretty sure you can't go somewhere like the desert until you finish the Ice Mansion. And likewise for each new area.
>>
>>336204359
>Where in TP, you don't use anything but the ball and chain once you get it.

Why would you do this?

> And some items like the spinning top is pretty much useless outside of the dungeon you get it.

Not true. People just don't know it better and like to spout memes. It negates fall damage which is great when you always want to stay full health for the attack boost. You can also move on the tires with it in the sky dungeon without triggering the worms so you don't have to waste a minute killing them. And you must use it in almost all dungeons after you got it and in the overworld in some areas (north, sacred grove, cave of ordeals etc.).
>>
>>336204762
But there are no retarded puzzles and obstacles slowing you down everywhere which factually is the case with SS. In SS basically the whole world is a dungeon except the small sky/village location. Basically like Metroid Prime except very linear.

If I want to play Metroid Prime, I play Metroid Prime.
>>
>>336205165
I think it also helps moving on ice in the mountain ruins.
>>
>>336200152
Congrats Anon
>>
File: 1194128272978.png (205 KB, 471x528) Image search: [Google]
1194128272978.png
205 KB, 471x528
>>336205331

>But there are no retarded puzzles and obstacles slowing you down everywhere
>orb collecting
>being conveniently turned into a wolf to give you yet another obstacle to overcome before you can go into the next dungeon
>having to do various tasks for NPCs before they tell you where to go next
>fucking memory puzzle right outside of the Master Sword Grotto, the worst example of a stalling puzzle in the Zelda series

And all of that is beside the point. The point is that you cannot progress to a new area without a story trigger allowing you to. This is the case in both TP and SS. But you claimed it only applied to SS. That's 'factually' wrong.
>>
>>336204502
Pretty much the entire map is open to explore before TP's midpoint.
Skyward Sword is way worse about arbitrarily limiting where the player can explore, and by the end of the game, you've been forced to visit every nook of the map anyway.
>>
>>336205836
>The Sacred Grove
>Worst example of a stalling puzzle in the Zelda series
No, that would be that tedious fucking trial and error warp room during the Wind Waker Triforce Quest.
The Sacred Grove puzzle is laughably easy.
>>
File: wVxY.png (34 KB, 328x308) Image search: [Google]
wVxY.png
34 KB, 328x308
>zelda wiiu has been delayed to 2017 instead of march 2017

Better save up so you can play the NX version in March instead of waiting for the WiiU version.
>>
>>336206250

Its not about how easy the puzzle is. In fact, the puzzle being so easy just makes it even more superfluous.

The point is that previous anon said there was no obstacles or puzzles that slowed you down. Clearly TP is full of them.
>>
File: 1402386062315.jpg (149 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1402386062315.jpg
149 KB, 600x750
>>336206468

After TP and the DS games, I learned to never buy a Zelda at launch. I'll probably get it years into the NX life.
>>
File: pnl_mex_farcry3[1].jpg (120 KB, 758x426) Image search: [Google]
pnl_mex_farcry3[1].jpg
120 KB, 758x426
>>336195186
>According to Aonuma, the keyword this time is “something new.” Ocarina of Time was a huge leap for the Zelda series and since then Aonuma explained, “I think the base of our secret sauce has always been Ocarina of Time. But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.”

>“Please look forward to it, because I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like Ocarina of Time was,” Aonuma added.

If they turn Zelda-U into a generic "open world western rpg" like fucking Skym, Witcher 3 or god forbid FAR CRY 3 I'm fucking done with these idiots.

I'll just be completely 110% fucking done.
>>
File: 8989.png (2 MB, 883x983) Image search: [Google]
8989.png
2 MB, 883x983
>>336205836
Those are quests and not obstacles or puzzles literally preventing you from moving Link further throughout the whole game, pic related.

Except for the Sacred Grove one which is actually good and a literal IQ test puzzle.

This shit has no business outside of dungeons except for optional, hidden stuff. TP understood this.

And why do you post PH? Do you just like awful Zeldas?
>>
>>336206468
>implying I don't already sell my Wii U which has no games anyway and buy an NX for Zelda
>implying I want to play the shit version of it after having waited 10 years

>>336206557
What's the difference? Even a bad Zelda is still one of the best games out there and Zelda game prices usually don't fall.

Are you autistic?
>>
>>336206702
But this is exactly what they should do with Zelda and what will "save" the series.

Just because Bethesda and Ubisoft do it worng, this doesn't mean Nintendo will do it wrong too. Zelda is basically made for this formula, should have done it sooner.

What you have to understand is that, even when it will have a huge, semi-generic open world à la Skyrim, it will still definitely have the handcrafted, unique Zelda dungeons, crazy Zelda characters, variety in the overworld (different biotopes) and cutscenes. Skyrim lacks all of this, that's why it's shit. Zelda will do a huge open world with generic NPCs etc. AND will feature all the things that made Zelda great.

It will be a huge WRPG style game, but it will also be Zelda.
>>
File: 1240805019650.png (113 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1240805019650.png
113 KB, 600x500
>>336206884

>Even a bad Zelda is still one of the best games out there
>Are you autistic?
Are you? Because you claiming TP, PH and ST are 'some of the best games out there' sure makes you seem that way.
>>
>>336207274
Should have said 3D Zeldas. And of course TP is one of the best action adventures you can find. Probably top 10 if not 5.
>>
>>336206702

The early Zelda games were open world games. And Zelda 2 was an RPG of sorts. It wouldn't be bad if they made the next Zelda like this.

But yes, if they make them more like Skyrim or Witcher, then I will completely give up on the series as well. Sad thing is, if they do that, the games will actually gain more of a following. The Zelda audience is pretty close to the Skyrim audience. A 'Skyrim with Zelda design' would make all the Bethesda girls wet.
>>
>>336207192
Everyone does Open World wrong. It's a fundamentally flawed concept unless your series is built off it like GTA.
>>
File: cdn.indiewire.psdops.com.jpg (46 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
cdn.indiewire.psdops.com.jpg
46 KB, 680x478
>>336207274
That's like your opinion, man.

And doesn't explain why you're planning to wait unless you are underage and don't know about Nintendo's charge politics.
>>
>>336207348

>And of course TP is one of the best action adventures you can find.
I vehemently disagree.
>>
>>336206702
Did you literally just get here on this planet? All signs point to them doing that.
>>
>>336207192
>But this is exactly what they should do with Zelda and what will "save" the series.

You're delusional if you don't think this has just as much of a chance as being complete and awful dog shit.

Nintendo has this habit of trying to fix what isn't broken: people come back to nintendo again and again because everyone knows what to expect out of Nintendo. Nintendo has consistancy and reliability- I mean, it fucking used to, but you know what I mean.

But they keep changing things that don't need to be changed and fucking things up.

Pic related is what I'm essentially referencing here, but they've just kept taking one shit after another on the paper mario series and for what? Why they hell are they disrespecting this I.P so much?

And they MUST fucking know it: There's going to be ANOTHER one in this same venue and it should have gotten it's own fucking showcase and trailer, but what do they do?

They meekly slip it into a nintendo direct at the last moment.
No heads up, no anything- they just slide it on in there discreetly.

What the fuck has been with Nintendo recently?
Have they forgotten what they're doing or did they never really know how to make good games in the first place?
>>
File: wiiu_screenshot_tv_01y2s72.png (1 MB, 1280x792) Image search: [Google]
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01y2s72.png
1 MB, 1280x792
>>336207436
Xenoblade did it pretty right, though. Not generic at all and extremely varied.

EAD will most definitely get help from Monolith again. Probably one reason why they delayed it. They couldn't believe wtf EAD has done.
>>
>>336207436

GTA also does open world wrong. Red Dead Redemption did it much better since the majority of the games content was found through exploration and not just running to the next story icon. But chances are, Zelda will be more like Skyrim, where you do just run to the next icon.

The sad thing is that in the early days of Zelda, Miyamoto took a lot of inspiration from Dragon Quest. Which is one series that has done open worlds correctly for 25 years. And games like Dragon Quest VIII and X have drastically improved them. But Zelda no longer takes inspiration from Dragon Quest. Its more Final Fantasy than anything now. And like FFXV, the open world will be horrible. Just a long stretch of running between story triggers.
>>
>>336207497
Well, then have fun with Tomb Raider 2013 or something, don't know. People that can't appreciate Zelda and take it as granted kinda disgust me.
>>
Zelda seems to be in a Damned if you do Damned if you don't situation. If you change things people complain that its "NOT MUH ZELDA" but if you stay faithful to OoT/ALTTP people say that its rehashing.
What are the devs to do?
>>
>>336207192
>>336207423
I dont see how anyone expects modern Nintendo to not make a horribly shitty, shallow, baby's first open world game.

They're constantly adding to the amount of hand holding, steering, and streamlining in their games. They're going to come out with some "open world" with constant stops and pauses in the action for your forced companion to pop out and tell you where to go and what to do. It's going to come out being more of a joke on the convention than anything else.
>>
>>336207752

>just like every Zelda game, no matter if its good or bad
Blind fanboys like you disgust me.
>>
File: dq dungeon.jpg (286 KB, 1150x1294) Image search: [Google]
dq dungeon.jpg
286 KB, 1150x1294
>>336207702
>And games like Dragon Quest VIII
>improved open world concept
Are you high or something? This is probably the most generic, emptiest pile of shit overworld there is with randomly appearing enemies and the player not being able to interact with fucking anything.

And dungeons insult your intellect.
>>
>>336207908
But I don't believe TP is bad? I played my share of action adventures to know it's good despite its flaws. Most action adventures are turds compared to Zelda.
>>
>>336207885
Change things that win people over.
>>
>>336207904
Yeah, because other open world games are so mature, hardcore and subtle with their huge target buttons on the map.

You don't realize it but Navi in Ocarina of Time simply TELLING you where to go with a few words is more hardcore than a huge prompt on a map. I would have no problem with them bringing it back with every single Zelda.
>>
>>336208306
Yeah but i said modern, OoT came out thousands of years ago.

If anything expect both endless hand holding story trigger related linearity, and giant blinking map icons.
>>
>>336207885
>follow classic heroic narrative
>include lots of well written and rewarding sidequests
>throw a few curveballs in the main plot to mix things up
>strive to have more content than any previous zelda game to date
>avoid tedious repetition
>give every boss after the first two at least three stages
>make sure every dungeon item is useful outside that dungeon

tl;dr make improvements, have as much content as possible, learn from previous mistakes
>>
I just want to see midna again in a canon zelda. Wish they'd stop doing one off characters.
>>
File: Link Between Worlds.jpg (502 KB, 1920x1600) Image search: [Google]
Link Between Worlds.jpg
502 KB, 1920x1600
Hopefully they follow Link Between Worlds's example. That game kept the handholding to a minimum.
>>
>>336207951

>can't interact with anything on the overworld
All the same things you can find in towns can be found on the overworld. Chests, baskets, pots, barrels, animals, monsters, NPCs, etc. They're all over the overworld. But get this, you actually have to EXPLORE to find them. You can't just run along the road, rushing to the next story event, and expect to find them.

This is in sharp contrast to most recent Zelda games, which encourages you to avoid going off the set path and find things. The world is literally made up of zones which only have one way to go. Its not even an 'overworld' outside of Hyrule Field/The Sky. And those areas are more barren than a Final Fantasy game. With only a couple NPCs and heart pieces to find.

And your anger at random battles doesn't even work since Dragon Quest VIII is being redone on 3DS with on field enemies.

>And dungeons insult your intellect.
Someone get mad that he kept going the wrong way I see. Though he shouldn't be getting mad since the dungeons in DQ games reward you with items for going the wrong way.
>>
>>336207436
You don't understand. They cannot get it wrong. I don't know why Zelda fans don't understand this and are afraid.

Developers like Bethesda get open world wrong because they just put out an ugly, generic, huge world without anything to see, without any complexity.

Now let's have a look at Wind Waker. People love it, it's an absolute fan favourite. Have a look at its world. It's basically completely empty, it's just sea with a few small islands and people still love it. Its open world isn't bad, don't get me wrong. Skyrim's open world isn't utter dog shit either. It's very atmospheric and at times even beautiful. And, unlike Skyrim, this is all Zelda needs from its overworld/open world. Why?

Because of the things mentioned here: >>336207192

Wind Waker has unique characters. I think every single character in the game is unique, same with Okami, which is actually kinda impressive, there are no clones at all, every character is unique and has a unique name. Of course it's even more impressive in Okami.

Wind Waker has its handcrafted, complex Zelda dungeons with lots of varied puzzles and items.

Zelda has the Zelda picture-book story with charming cutscenes.

And there is a 0% chance Zelda U's world will be as empty as Wind Waker's. So why are people so scared? It makes no sense.
>>
>>336207885

Sadly, this is true. If they try to go back to a more classic feel, then all the lore fags will bitch up a storm and demand the next game has more story. If they go the other way and focus more on story, then the classic fans bitch there's not enough freedom.
>>
File: Cia.jpg (295 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cia.jpg
295 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>336207647
How does Kirby do it? Literally the last three games have been carbon clones of Adventure but crammed with a fuckload of references to previous games and people just eat it right up (Seriously EVERY boss in Robobot save one is a reference to a previous Kirby boss).

Zelda wouldn't be able to get away with that shit. Even Hyrule Warriors gets it's fair amount of criticism.
>>
>>336208812
>>336207192

You have such a warped view of Zelda and the world at large its sad.
>>
File: 1430768406455.png (48 KB, 138x169) Image search: [Google]
1430768406455.png
48 KB, 138x169
>>336208812
>>
>>336208732
Haven't you played the original? don't know the remake. If you want I can make a webm running through the entire first part of the world without any NPCs at all. And the world is mostly generic as fuck with many dead ends that led you to nowhere.

Random battles are just disgusting anyway.

>>336208732
>Someone get mad that he kept going the wrong way I see. Though he shouldn't be getting mad since the dungeons in DQ games reward you with items for going the wrong way.
The point is the level design is incredible linear and simple. Even some Tales of games have some decent dungeons and puzzles here and there.
>>
>>336208812
Aonumas fucking weird and I wouldn;t be surprised if the Wii U game went back to Endless Old Men and Moblins in caves for no reason besides Aonuma can't seem to figure out why he can;t make a Zelda worth a shit.

Okay Oracle of Seasons did exactly that but still and it was great
>>
>>336208914

>Zelda wouldn't be able to get away with that shit.
It would have if they had kept doing it. But the series split into two different types of games. Clasic 2D games with minimal story and lots of open world exploration. And 3D games that focused heavily on story and linear events.

Its a lot like Castlevania now that I think about it. And over time, the split in the fanbase made them reboot the series. And then kill it soon after.
>>
>>336208960
Are you retarded? I'm literally just stating facts about Wind Waker and the general consensus.

How about you try to refute anything instead of shitposting?

>>336209120
Yeah, cool. Aonuma le madman.
>>
File: 1448052583908.jpg (422 KB, 1280x1500) Image search: [Google]
1448052583908.jpg
422 KB, 1280x1500
>>336208914
Maybe its because Zelda is a flagship series for Nintendo and a minor pop cultural icon. Comparatively Kirby is much more niche.
>>
>>336209087

>Haven't you played the original?
Obviously al the examples I just gave, and you ignored, proves I have played the original. The question is, have you? You sound like one of those people who loaded up the game and then quit right outside the starting town.
>>
>>336209064
I really should stop spending more than one minute on making posts. Sometimes I forget the average poster here is a 17 year old meme spouting NEET.
>>
>>336209184

>I'm literally just stating facts about Wind Waker and the general consensus.
Since Wind Waker isn't a favorite of the majority of Zelda fans, you're just proving that the 'facts' you are stating are wrong.
>>
>>336207702
FFXV isn't even open world. The people who played it say it's the PS1 FF progression/exploration style, except with a ton of detail and rendered full-scale.
>>
>>336209290
You should stop posting, yes.
>>
>>336209212
Well, yeah, I have.

Never seen anyone naming DQ for a good example of openw orld done right. It's pretty weird. It's literally just a generic Tales of Symphina style overworld with worse dungeons than Tales of Symphonia.
>>
File: A link between worlds.jpg (168 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
A link between worlds.jpg
168 KB, 630x630
>>
>>336209294
>Since Wind Waker isn't a favorite of the majority of Zelda fans
LOL

>>336209367
Nah. But will spend less time on posts since you clearly aren't worth it.
>>
>>336209580
No, you will spend less time cause you're exposed as a shit baiter.
>>
>>336209689
How? What even is your problem with this post >>336208812. I haven't even said anything controversial. You're literally going full retard.
>>
>>336209773
No, that's you. Thinking opinions are facts.
>>
>>336209580
Just got back into the thread to tell you that yes, WW is overrated. The latest template meme thread showed alot of anon''s saying the same.

Not even them.
>>
File: 1432783732618.jpg (352 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
1432783732618.jpg
352 KB, 650x700
>>336209524
>>336208626
One thing i hope they keep or use again is the art style.
>>
>>336209580

The majority of Zelda fans haven't even played Wind Waker. It is one of the lower selling Zelda games. You are a massive idiot.
>>
>>336209418

Dragon Quest has far more going on with its overworld than Tales of Symphonia does. But as you have proved in dozens of posts, you don't even know what an overworld is. Let alone what makes one good. You still think Twilight Princess has an overworld when even Aonouma admits it doesn't.
>>
>>336210072
>It is one of the lower selling Zelda games.
No it isn't. Its sales are about average and that was because the HD release.
>>
>>336209867
Jesus Christ, are you 12 y/o? Do I have to worm all arguments out of you? Just say what you don't like instead of calling someone's post "b8" or fuck off in the first place. Unless you want people to believe you are 12.

>>336209886
Wind Waker is easily one of the fan favourites, it doesn't matter what people here in samefagtown say, you deluded child. I'm not even saying it's my favourite Zelda. I'm just stating a fact here.

Doesn't even have to be the absolute number 1 for fans, this is not what I argued. I argued it's a very famous game. Look up polls if you are too young to remember what the consensus was over the years. Usually it's among top five if not top three.

Probably still the biggest poll: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/vote-what-is-the-best-legend-of-zelda-game-32309405/
>>
>>336210072
No one is talking about sales and even the shitty HD port on Wii U sold over million copies and will end up having done better than TP HD.

Holy shit, what happened to /v/?
>>
>>336210428
Nah, i'll just stick with calling you retarded m8.
>>
>>336210194
Where does Aonuma say it doesn't have an overworld? I assume everyone has his own definition for overworld unlike open world which is a formuly formulated term but of course TP has an overworld. You could even call the Mario select maps overworlds if you want to.
>>
>>336210497

>Holy shit, what happened to /v/?
You appeared.
>>
>>336210638

During the reveal of Zelda U, he openly stated that his goal with the new game was to return to the roots of Zelda as well as having an open world. "Unlike what recent Zelda games since Wind Waker have had."
>>
>>336210604
>>336210645
>this place belongs to the one-line poem shitposters now, asshole
>>
>>336210753
At least one line is better than your shitpost paragraphs famsicle.
>>
>>336210727
Open world !=! "overworld". Although I wouldn't be surprised Aonuma or his translators confusing one term with the other, it's English concepts after all.
>>
>>336210923
You're doing nothing but mindlessly shitposting like a 12 year old. You couldn't even debate a baby, let alone refute fucking anything I've ever stated in this shit thread.

There is literally no chance you are not underage. From now on I consider you and your faggot friend 12 y/o until one of you posts his ID with timestamp here. Can you do this? No. Then you are 12.
>>
>>336210428
>You deluded child

I just came into the thread, see you retards bitching and added my 2 cents. You just come off as a mad shitposter.
>>
>>336210925

But by the same token, Zones areas =! overworld. Which the shit poster claimed multiple times.
>>
>>336211052
Now you're making demands like you're in any position of power or authority. Fucking lel, stay buttflustered kid.
>>
>>336211349
>>336211210
You are 12 y/o.

>>336211343
>Zones areas =! overworld
Wrong. It's hardly even a defined term. You just want to call the locations that are not the dungeons or the locations that are not the actual levels in Mario something, right? And most people simply go with overworld, or hubworld if the location is very small and crammed.

It's also on Wikipedia but the article is short and kinda shit like most articles.

Even an open world can be split in segments. Again, it's not firmly defined, however, if the segments are big enough (some people would argue Xenoblade, also MMORPGs, Skellige and Velen in Witcher 3 and maybe Kingdoms of Amalur, for example), it's considered a multi-region open world. Since Zelda locations are small, it's not multi-region, though. It's just considered overworld.
>>
>>336211825
And you are bait.
>>
>>336196646
holy shit what an autistic post
>>
You guys really dont give a shit about videogames. Its like weeb mean girls.
>>
>>336192285
Dont get into games to write.
>>
>>336212093
But anon i love video games. It just sucks that so many people have such shit taste in them.
>>
File: dq8.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dq8.webm
2 MB, 640x360
In case the Dragon Quest retard is still here. Just made this, can make a few more. You can literally walk for minutes through this world and see fucking nothing. It's completely generic and boring. And I play with 170& framerate, i.e. fast-forward, usually you are slow as fuck. Also using an item to prevent random fights every five seconds.

You really want Nintendo to take notes of this?

>>336211879
You are a retarded underage child and have no room to talk. It doesn't matter what you demand for Zelda, it can only be horrible because you have no clue about games. Go back to Redshit or NeoFAG.

Or actually stay here, I don't care. /v/ is an underage containment board anyway. I'm just a tourist who usually avoids this place.

>>336212780
Indeed.
>>
>>336212854
Make up your mind, retard.
>>
>>336212991
Fuck, I won't recover from this rebuttal.
>>
>>336212854

>I kept running around in a circle in one spot of the map
>totally ignored the heal slime and conveniently missed the two chests on the beach
>see, this proves the overworld is barren!
Fucking idiot. You can do the same thing in a Zelda game. Like the whole hyrule field of Twilight Princess.
>>
>>336201026
what does that have to do with story? Almost zero
>>
>>336213196
>some shitty enemy and objects randomly put somewhere into the generic world makes the field design less generic
I knew it, Skyrim is actually handcrafted and has amazing level design.

C'mon, I could have made much worse videos. This wasn't cherry-picked, just where my character was when I turned it on.

There are many long corridors with dead ends which always screams "SHIT LEVEL DESIGN, THE DEVELOPERS DIDN'T CARE". Weird enough, even The Evil Within and Dark Souls have many of those and those games are usually very narrow.
>>
>>336213481

>comparing Skyrim to Dragon Quest
And you still haven't even countered how Twilight Princess has even LESS to find than Dragon Quest VIII. Keep bitching about Dragon Quest all you want, but it doesn't deflect away from the flaws modern Zelda has.
>>
>>336201568
>>336202919

> Don't see anything else that's wrong with the game and worth mentioning.

The whole game is bland and linear and offers little incentive to engage in creative exploration and discovery. This makes it a bottom of the barrel Zelda.
>>
>>336204091
Beta TP is somehow godly. I have no idea how that turned into the game we ended up getting.
>>
>>336213990
>Godly

Can you give me your one of a kind leaked Beta rom?
>>
>>336189357
>Then you can enjoy playing it.
Brutal
>>
File: 1406367468283.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1406367468283.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>336213802
Eh, first, we are talking about what direction Zelda U should go and which game has done open world right and you suggested Dragon Quest. This wasn't a Dragon Quest vs. Twilight Princess thing.

Second, you get the horse literally in the first few minutes of Twilight Princess so there are no huge, empty fields. The locations are fairly small in proportion to Epona's speed. And the world simply isn't generic. Chests are always put behind handcrafted, well thought out level design segments with actual gameplay.

>>336213895
You're exaggerating, there are many well hidden spots. Overall the overworld is still a lot better than, for example, Darksider's which is basically a 1:1 copy and came out years later. This really isn't one of the reasons why the game isn't as good as it could be.

The meaty dungeons also make up for a lot of things.
>>
>>336203545
For having humor?
>>
>>336214509
>The meaty dungeons also make up for a lot of things.

No they don't.
>>
>>336215217
Not for you, maybe, for the absolute majority they do. And for many people there isn't much to make up for in the first place, maybe you mean it this way.
>>
>>336214509

People before you chimed in were talking about open world games in general. And long before that subject came up, you claimed Twilight Princess was an open world, though you also ignored where I proved it isn't. So when you started your rant about how bad Dragon Quest is at being an open world, I compared it to Twilight Princess. Which you still have yet to refute. Because you know you can't. There's nothing to find in Twilight Princess besides NPCs, heart pieces and bugs/skultullas. And only one of those can be found in Hyrule Field.

>Second, you get the horse literally in the first few minutes of Twilight Princess
Try like 3 hours into the game after that god awful set of mandatory quests and cinematics in the starting town. Even fans of TP point out how slow the start is.

and then when you get the horse, it can only be used in like 4 zones. You can zoom through all of Hyrule Field in less than a minute on the horse, further making Hyrule Field pointless. Then later, you get a warp function and don't even need to use Epona at all. The sad thing is, the entire purpose for Epona is just the fight with the Moblins leading to Eldin Bridge.
>>
>>336214509
>Handcrafted
What's your obsession with this word? The way you use it has no meaning. Unless we're talking literally randomly generated areas of course an area is going to be handcrafted, video games arent found organically in nature sprouting out of the ground or something so of course they're "handcrafted"
>>
>>336215892

>The sad thing is, the entire purpose for Epona is just the fight with the Moblins leading to Eldin Bridge.
But that's wro-

Shit. I don't think I even used her after that. Damn it.
>>
>>336202514
>tp has a huge overworld
It had nothing to do, the surface was better
>>
>>336202825
>slow as fuck
Alttp fag pls go
>>
>>336202839
It's true though. Midna was the only good thing about tp
>>
>>336203738
I bet you think the lakebed temple is an example of good dungeon design
>>
>>336217058
It's not though. Midna is also shit.
>>
>>336208626
That's because only a retard couldn't solve the puzzles in that game.
It's literally the easiest zelda
>>
>>336215462
>for the absolute majority
Then the Zelda fanbase need to be purged.
Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.