[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ARPGS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: PoE.png (840 KB, 956x500) Image search: [Google]
PoE.png
840 KB, 956x500
I want to play an ARPG, what's better Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?
>>
File: 1451372584363.jpg (22 KB, 548x420) Image search: [Google]
1451372584363.jpg
22 KB, 548x420
>>336187072
grim dawn maybe?
>>
>>336187072
d3 is a lot better. it has the best gameplay of any ARPG ever released, by a large margin
>>
>d3

free til level 20

>poe

free forever

you have literally nothing to lose except time so just try both
>>
>>336187072
PoE clearly wins in Build diversity
>>
>>336187284
I have the base game of D3 that I never played because the release was such a clusterfuck
>>
>>336187072
Gonna throw this out there:

modern d3 > modern poe
release\early poe > release\early d3

poe has progressively gotten worse over time, and d3 has (with the expansion) gotten progressively better. but thats just my opinion.
>>
>>336187760
>>336187258
Should I play seasonal?
>>
File: 1460622111198.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1460622111198.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>336187258
>>
>>336187072

Marvel Heroes 2016
>>
>>336187470
well, you own the game, its come a very long way since release, but its pretty shit without RoS, maybe there's a RoS trial you can play

poe on the other hand will always be up to date with no community fragmentation barring 3 month seasons

it all comes down to 2 things to me, imo - character diversity and endgame

poe has miles better character diversity and progression, in d3 you are locked into whatever the devs want by way of set bonuses and runes, pretty much forcing you into having no diversity in characters. makes the game stale pretty fast

whereas poe is mostly about rerolling characters when you get bored of one, lots of skills and support gems and now ascendancy classes makes for lots of diversity between each character, which, to me, is the biggest thing - how much I get out of a game for each $ I spend. I have played poe for around 3.2k hours and D3+RoS for about 600 hours so maybe there's some bias in my post, but if both games were $60, poe is the clear winner to me. Worst thing about PoE is the non existent optimization. Most modern machines can't get a consistent framerate due to how bad it is. It gets worse with every expansion. Some areas are worse than others (weather effects, can't disable em).

in the end, PoE can keep me hooked for around a month each patch, whereas I get bored of d3 within a few days of a new season because they don't really add anything new or new ways of doing the things I did last time. it's a shame.
>>
>>336187920
If you dont have any characters to play and are starting fresh (or you havent played in a really long time) theres pretty much no downside to diving right into seasonal. once the season ends everything that you earn will be rolled into the standard mode.
>>
grim dawn> all that nigger shit
>>
File: 1414276828748.png (7 KB, 282x289) Image search: [Google]
1414276828748.png
7 KB, 282x289
>>336187258
>>
PoE is good and grinding tolerable. Seasonal leagues also add a lot of shit to the game.

D3 is, eh? Basegame is shit and i didnt bother with its expansion

Torchlight/Torchlight 2 is currently the only game with more ties with D2.

D2 is still pretty alive on official and unofficial servers, that is if you want to play it again.

Van helsing is good for a playthrough, very fun game.

Titan quest if you want a greek setting, looks good and has fun classes. Starts a bit slow tho.

I havent played grimdawn yet, but for what i saw is good.
>>
Diablo II and Path of Exile are better than Diablo III. Hell, a fucking SNES ARPG like Secret of Mana is better than Diablo III.
>>
Just get Diablo 1 and 2.

Also Titan Quest was kinda fun and a big plus if you love old mythology.

Diablo 3 is neo-blizzard garbage.
>>
PoE Pros: Free, allows for creative builds and customization, difficult, seasonal ladders add new gameplay items and secrets, rare loot feels amazing, character customization is near infinite
PoE Cons: Difficult, Grindy, Currency can be confusing, respeccing is difficult.

Diablo 3 pros: Bounties are fun, classes are diverse, followers, seasons based around personal progression
Diablo 3 Cons: Short, grindy, loot doesnt feel special, build revolve around set peices and arent creative.

Torchlight 2 pros: Visceral combat, loadsa loot, customization and multiclassing possible, lots of secrets and pets!
Torchlight 2 cons: Legendaries are underwhelming, online is full of hackers and cheaters, hardest of difficulties requires lots of resistance gear just to survive being one shot all the time.

Grim Dawn Pros: Excellent graphics, quests are great, great difficulty.
Grim Dawn cons: A lot of builds are literally unviable, not much in terms of customization, Grindy, a lot of talents are just dead weight.
>>
>>336191339
>Diablo 3 Cons: Short, grindy, loot doesnt feel special, build revolve around set peices and arent creative.

not true anymore, theyre attacking the set reliance right now in a lot of ways

the thing about d3 is that it has never stopped improving at all, for more than a couple months at a time...every patch is a huge improvement to the game, the others cant say that. it took poe like 4 years to *mostly* eliminate desync

it was shit on launch, but its pretty much miles ahead of the competition now. the basic feel/look/gameplay etc of PoE is bad, its one of those games that just feels second rate in every way
>>
I really enjoyed the improved D3 my first time leveling up, going into new seasons it cant even hold my interest for 10 minutes though.

Where as in POE they are constantly adding new skills, 2 months ago they added 13 skills to the game and an additional 2 since then. There's lots of ways to play and different seasons actually feel different because they implement different events.
>>
>>336191339
Diablo 3 cons: lacks any sort of soul to the game. No atmosphere, story is nonexistant, locations boring.
>>
>>336191897
>I got my pc in the new season this morning. This season is the same as the last 6 seasons. All but maybe 2-3 builds are set gear dependant. The ones that arent require sets of rings/neck peices.
>>
>>336192191
D3 is a good timewaster the first time you play it. After that is just a boring game with almost no challenge.
>>
File: 1460350367374.jpg (62 KB, 653x612) Image search: [Google]
1460350367374.jpg
62 KB, 653x612
G R I M D A W N
R
I
M
D
A
W
N
>>
There was a Korean one that looked decent but apparently its was canceled or something.

There was webms floating around
>>
Marvel Heroes 2016 is pretty fun right now, if you don't mind mmo-ish stuff. Also, NUMBERS
>>
>>336190083
>He didn't play modern D3 and the expo that basically fixed everything about the game and made it fun

Nigger
>>
>>336193815
Seconding.
Since your first character is free you might as well give it a whirl.
>>
>>336193857
>he gave activision money
>>
>>336193857

They removed the horrible cutscenes, linear story, secret of mana style boss fights and shit gear sets?

Exactly, they didn't.
>>
>>336193885
Might as well add to this--

You can try any character up to level 10 but you can only "uncap" one before you start earning the rest

I picked Ghost Rider and my first random hero was Juggernaut
>>
>>336194012
...Playing diablo for the story...?
>>
>>336194012
What the fuck are you talking about? Half of what you listed isn't even in the game mode 99% of people play.
>>
path of exile is incredible, i've put 1600 hours into it
>>
>>336193857
A turd with sprinkles is still a turd, sorry.
>>
Path of Exile hands down.

I have 800 hours in D3 RoS and moved on to Path of Exile, so far have 500 hours and I love it way more than D3
>>
>>336194012
No, but they did make those shit gear sets a lot better
added tons of new content and enemies
new abilities
shit tons of new gear including sets
tons of new cosmetic items and pets
new game types

not to mention 6 banwaves have gone out.
>>
>>336194012
Yes they did, my hipster friendo. Campaign is no longer mandatory for bounties and nobody plays it anyway. You could (and should) spend your entire diablo 3 season without touching the campaign.

And now every set is viable for endgame.

Of course you would've known that if you even played it
>>
File: elfaboos.png (402 KB, 745x701) Image search: [Google]
elfaboos.png
402 KB, 745x701
is /v/-net still up and running?

I miss playing with mel gibson and doing uber trist runs with you guys
>>
>>336187072

PoE

Diablo 3 isn't as terrible as it was but it isn't worth the money and PoE is free.
>>
>>336194102

I was alluding to the opposite, idiot. Diablo II, you could ignore the story by not talking to an NPC. In Diablo III, you have a ton of cutscenes that interrupt you. And while you can click past them, it doesn't change how intrusive they are. As well as killing replay-ability.

Diablo III is built to be more like a PvE MMO. And the whole appeal to a game like Diablo II was it was a better alternative to fucking World of Warcraft.
>>
>>336193724
Okay. How is anyone going to play a cancelled game?
>>
>>336194469
Are...you retarded?
>>
>>336194329

Everyone and their mom played Diablo III when it launched. But few people came back for its expansion or after they removed the Auction House. You don't get a special award for sticking with a shit game for years until they 'fixed' it.
>>
just play path of exile
great character progression and build diversity, fun skills, fun end game and free to play 100%
>>
>>336194627
>Implying I wasnt one of the people that left as soon as that shit came out and came back for the expo

You're the moron that are bashing a game that's completely different now
>>
poe
>free
>good

d3
>expensive
>shit

tough choices
>>
I have Diablo's CE and expo CE and was a super huge fanboy over it, but PoE is way better.

They did fix Diablo up and I've played a ton, but then I went back and tried PoE recently and I just can't go back to Diablo really. It may be more complicated but making a build click in that game is way more satisfying than it is in Diablo.
>>
if you don't mind more A than RPG check out victor vran

the story's nothing to write home about but the gameplay is fantastic

it's like bastion but with tons of equipment customization, and it's coop
>>
File: 1459659407776.png (132 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1459659407776.png
132 KB, 396x385
>>336194343

found this forum post

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-misc-forums/diablo-legacy-forums/diablo-ii/72778-ever-heard-of-v-net

rip in piece mel, you were the best /v/irgin to do baal runs with
>>
>>336187072
neither poe used to be godlike but they "fixed" their net code and now the servers are overload always
there is a chance of you being close to them drastically reducing lag,skips,and ruberbands
>>
>>336187072
Download PoE. Run it during peak hours. If you have minimal lag, then play that. Otherwise, get D3.
>>
File: 219990_2016-03-05_00005.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
219990_2016-03-05_00005.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>336187174
Shut your crustacean face, Zoidberg.

OP, you should definitely play Grim Dawn.
>>
>>336194768

>Implying I wasnt one of the people that left as soon as that shit came out and came back for the expo
>You don't get a special award for sticking with a shit game for years until they 'fixed' it.
>>
I've played PoE for a very short time.
- The combat is like in Diablo 1 and 2, in that hits interrupt animations and such. The animations of SFX of hits and slays are very satisfying, like in D1&2. In D3 it's floaty and sucks.
- It overhauled the potion system, where you get limited uses which regenerate when killing enemies. It's alright. Lazy, but better than D1/2.
- Selling items to NPCs yields trinklets rather than gold. I don't quite understand the system, but I didn't find it appealing, since they take inventory space. Gold was quite useless in D2 so I guess it's sort of an upgrade.
- It uses a faux classless system, in which you advance through a preset tree of passives. I think there are actives skills but you can't unlock the right away. I wasn't impressed.
- The camera sucks.
- Online only DRM
- The early game is ugly and unappealing.

It's nice that they tried to improve on the formula and on some ways they did. It's worth giving a try.
>>
>>336187072
play sword of mana instead
>>
>>336195509
The trinkets are crafting materials that you can use to make really good items and weapons.
>>
>>336195486

Diablo II blows 3 away. Hell, d3 is basically d2 : watered-down-2014 edition.
>>
>>336191339
The biggest problem with Torchlight 2 is that many of the skill descriptions are just flat out too obfuscating and don't do a good job of explaining what they actually do or what they work with at all.
>>
PoE is free so go with that.
>>
>>336195509
"Trinkets" are currency items, which have inherent value because they allow you to modify other items. There is no standard currency. It's confusing at first, I'll admit.
The passives tree is only passives. All active skills are gems.
>>
>>336195509

The items you get from selling things are crafting materials. There are specific items that allow you to upgrade white items to magic items, magic items to rare items, reroll the mods on magic and rare items, and tons more.

Basically, they replaced D2's cube crafting with this.

As for skills, the passive tree is strictly that, passives. All of your active skills are tied to the skills gems that you socket into your equipment.

I fucking love PoE, but the biggest issue with it is that the game does a horrible job explaining what is possible with its system, and doesn't introduce good support gems until too late into the game.

It's always awesome when you're using a projectile skill as your main attack and then you finally gem Greater Multiple Projectiles so that you one measly arrow is now fucking five arrows.
>>
>>336195509
-Agree with you there

-I wouldn't say it's lazy, endgame potions end up being really important and completely change the way the game is played for some builds.

-Them taking inventory space may be unappealing but they do big things like being able to precisely reroll items to craft something you'd like to use in the endgame

-I sort of agree on this, but, the class you pick though makes or breaks some builds, as some classes are logically closer to their respective nodes. Also in regard to skills, there are no active skills in there, only passives and attributes/stat boosts. This works really well actually, because the items are based around slotting these gems into them..

-What's wrong with the camera?

-The point of you being that weak in early game is that you're building a character from the ground up, it's just like Diablo 2. Hell, there are even some race events in the game that don't make it to endgame and the game is instead centered around early game, where people come up with great ideas to optimize builds and clear stuff with terrible gear.
>>
>>336195757
that was true for Vanilla but modern D3 shoots D2 out of the water in literally every department

anyone who says otherwise has massive nostalgia goggles on
>>
>>336191339
>torchlight 2
>hardest of difficulties requires lots of resistance gear just to survive being one shot all the time.

God this. I mean diablo 2 had really nasty encounters like bone fetishes that could throw you but in Torchlight it's amazing not only how hard things can suddenly go from mindlessly slaughtering everything to being one shot but how damn often it happens.

Once you hit act 3 in particular everything starts fucking gibbing you.

I recall the first game had something similar with those succubi who had that bugged chain lightning attack that could 1 hit you even if you were twice their level in strength.
>>
>equipping abilities to your armor and weapons
>RNG rolling for links and slots
who thought this was a good idea? it's the only bad part of PoE
>>
Modern Diablo 3 is more akin to playing something like Gauntlet, where it's basically just a pick up and mow stuff down kind of game.

Path of Exile is more akin to Diablo 2's style of gameplay.
>>
File: goku_laugh.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
goku_laugh.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>336196654

>one guy keeps defending Diablo III to death
>anyone who disagrees with me is nostalgiablind!
>>
>>336187072
Neither, play Grim Dawn.
>>
Want to look like an edge lord on my poe character,

Instead he looks like an alright warrior but I don't feel like I look end game. Cosmetics cost an arm and a leg.
>>
>>336196654

Nigga, no
>>
>>336196654
story?
music?
art style?
>>
>>336191339
>PoE
>Difficult
It's not 2013 anymore
>>
Is it possible to respec in PoE without handing over shekels?
>>
>>336197449

To be fair, it wasn't difficult in Beta either. Then at launch they nerfed Chaos Inoculation so hard it became pointless. And completely killed my Templar build.
>>
Do you want a game with extreme depth in possibilities?
Path of Exile.
Do you want a game you can get into easily and feel like a powerhouse from beginning to end, sans a few grindy segments?
Diablo 3.
Do you want a game in-between?
Grim Dawn.
Do you want "Just fuck my shit up?"
Van Helsing or Victor Vran.
>>
>>336198347

Orbs of Regret, or make a new character.

Honestly, there should never be a reason to want to take back more than like 15 passive points, and if you do, you might as well make a new character, it only takes like 2 hours to get to like level 40.
>>
>>336196654
Your post is a joke
>>
marvel heroes honestly isnt bad, but i stopped playing cause it is an mmo at the end of the day with everything that comes with that.
>>
>>336200246

>mmo

no it's not, it barely has any true multiplayer features

"raids" are just glorified Baal runs. 90% of the game's content is solo ARPG. All multiplayer stuff is really the same kind of multiplayer content you find in any other ARPG in the market
>>
Titan Quest is getting updates now, so that's something. It would get my vote of suggestion over Grim Dawn that's for sure.
>>
Dark Cloud 2, it's good as fuck trust me
>>
>>336187072
What's the appeal of ARPGs?
>>
>>336202940

Depends on the type of ARPG you mean.

If you mean Diablo style games, its the same sense of progression and achievement as an MMO. But with much faster results and better combat.
>>
>>336202940

Autism
>>
>>336201863
What are they doing to Titan Quest in this modern day? Official or unofficial?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.