[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
you have 5 seconds to explain how exactly visual novels aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image080.jpg (171 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image080.jpg
171 KB, 1280x720
you have 5 seconds to explain how exactly visual novels aren't video games
>>
>>336173467
No win/lose condition, no game
Yes win/lose condition, yes game
>>
Video games have you control the main characters actions not just choose them
>>
>>336173863
What is the win condition of tetris?
>>
I rike them and they belong to videogame distribution services (in the same way ASSFAGGOTS and poker aren't sports but it's ok to play them on ESPN), but they aren't games

They're more vidya than walking simulators, though
>>
>>336174028
there's no win condition, but there's a lose condition

and you can make progress
>>
>>336174139
You might want to work on your definition then. "No win/lose condition, no game" would leave tetris as not a game.
>>
>>336173863
What is the lose condition of the Souls series?
What is the win /lose condition of MMO games?
>>
>>336174028
You can win Tetris you uncultured swine
>>
>>336173863
>using von neumann game theory

It doesn't mean shit when applied to videogames, guy died like 20 years before the first mainstream videogame
>>
they are games
>>
>>336173467
It doesn't matter whether they're video games or not. They're interactive digital entertainment, which is the real category of this board.
>>
>>336173863
Steins;Gate and Fate/Stay has win/lose conditions I guess. I mean you definitely can lose and you can win. I guess.
>>
>you can't win tetris

Watch this and tell me this guy hasn't utterly beaten Tetris, i fucking dare you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo
>>
>>336175740
Steins;Gate does not have lose conditions. No matter what you do you reach one of the six endings, all of which end with Okabe alive and perfectly willing to live in the timeline he ended up with.

FSN definitely does have lose conditions, and the difference between the two is rather obvious.
>>
>>336176090
Well, some of the endings are kinda shitty, I'd consider those lose conditions, but I see what you mean.
>>
>>336173467
GAMES HAVE GAMEPLAY
>>
>>336176249
By that logic Saya no Uta doesn't even have a end, much less three of them. Just because the ending isn't happy doesn't mean it isn't an ending.
>>
>>336173467
It depends.

>Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Not a video game.

>Fate/Stay Night
A video game.
>>
>>336173467
You play games, not watch them
>>
>>336173863

Choose your own adventure books are games then
>>
>>336176435
Fair enough.
>>
>>336176890
They're called gamebooks.

So yes, you're right.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.