[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are ground-breaking games like doom never made anymore? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: dood.jpg (418 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
dood.jpg
418 KB, 1366x768
Why are ground-breaking games like doom never made anymore? How can we resurrect gaming?
>>
Just let it go and enjoy the odd time an above average AAA or good indie game comes around
>>
Well there wasn't a hell of a lot to work with back then anon, Doom was mind blowing. I'm not sure what you mean by today's standards though, it doesn't take a hell of a lot to start 3D modelling and coding, just practice. Gameplay has been refined over the years to the point where we've got pretty smooth general layouts for each genre. What are you looking for? What's the next mold that can be broken?
>>
>>336146873
I see a lot of potential in shit like planetside 2, but it is still wolfenstein tier.
>>
By backing Romero's Kickstarter
>>
>>336147421
I don't see how paying someone who helped innovate a genre to continue in the same genre 20 years later is supposed to result in "ground-breaking" games.
>>
>>336147692
Just shut the fuck up and do it.
>>
>>336147780
I just googled it out of curiosity and it looks like it got canceled. This game was announced last week, right?
>>
>>336147928
Canceled until they can present a functioning prototype as per Kickstarter rules now.
>>
>>336147928
Yes. We're cooking up an actual demo before re-launching it.
>>
>>336148115
I saw the pitch, the game is shit. Nothing interesting.
>>
>>336148153
>glitching and fighting through different Blackroom environments, from sci-fi to western towns and haunted houses

So the level settings are varied and unconnected. Like in Daikatana? Maybe you should try to be less like Daikatana.
>>
>>336146873
If you made Doom again, it wouldnt be groundbreaking.
>>
>>336147692
>If it's in a genre, it cant be innovative
Why do I keep browsing this sub?
>>
>>336148707
Brutal doom is amazing
>>
>>336148830
Groundbreaking and "Good" are not the same thing
Brutal Doom is great. It's not groundbreaking.
>>
>>336148830
Being amazing does not make something ground-breaking.
>>
>>336148707
I think he's asking how would we make a game today, that is as ground breaking as Doom was then
>>
>>336148830
Kill yourself
>>
>>336148796
If you believe there will ever be an FPS one-tenth as innovative as Wolfenstein and Doom, you probably don't know what "innovate" means.

Enjoy Daikatana 2, mate.
>>
>>336146873
Because there was a big technological/innovation vacuum for vidya back then and DOOM filled a lot of it. We don't have that kind of vacuum in the market right now. VR might be the start of a new vacuum but probably not considering how it's been doing so far.
>>
>>336149312
Memes aside, if PSVR is cheap enough, I can see it making VR much bigger
>>
File: caac.jpg (283 KB, 730x505) Image search: [Google]
caac.jpg
283 KB, 730x505
>>336146873
Why are ground-breaking inventions like the car never made anymore? How can we resurrect transport?
>>
>>336146873
>>336149051
>>
>>336149452
How about fuckign flying cars and personal ships? huh?
Fucking retard.
>>
>>336149452
switch to electricity and make them drive with crazy speed without crashing with super advanced AI
>>
>>336148570
Daikatana had problems and it wasn't those things. In fact, those were the only redeeming qualities of the game. Besides, Daikatana didn't have abstract level design like Doom and Quake which is what Blackroom is set out to have.
>>
Because there's almost no ground left to be broken.

For all the arguing that used to happen over the term, Doom was the real Citizen Kane of video games. It's hard to have another one of those.
>>
>>336148971
I think it's pretty hard.
Doom was groundbreaking for bringing us significantly closer to 3D, and it's design that made it easy to mod.

VR is the next step past 3D.
I know there's more than just "dimensions" to make a groundbreaking game. Mario Galaxy had it's planetary gravity thing. Portal brought puzzle games to the first person, also brought things like portals where you can teleport seemlessly between 2 points in a dimension

I guess what I'm saying is, the more and more we take do new things, the less and less new things there will be to do.

And based on what I'm hearing how people hate Star Fox Zero and people still prefer dual-analog sticks than KB+M or haptic feedback, you can definitely cross out "Improvement to game controls" out of your list for innovative game ideas.
I wish Mirror's Edge went more arcade-y with it's parkour system, but if it was any faster and unrealistic, controllers wouldn't be able to handle it.

>>336149828
If Romero's E1M4b is any indications, Blackroom is going to have some balling intriguing level designs. And I'm assuming he'll be able to do more interesting stuff without being limited to doom engine.
>>
Doom would be gimmicky today.

"All" it did was add height to first person games. We have games that do innovative stuff all the time. Point based gravity rather than linear. Changing the direction of gravity on the fly. Tying the pace of time to movement. Non-euclidean geometry. Nobody cares.

I guess Portal is the closest thing to a new Doom in terms of mainstream gimmick acceptance, but it didn't spawn dozens of clones. In terms of setting the ground for clones I guess Dota is the new Doom.
>>
>>336149716
The 'revolution' there is still in software rather than the car. The point being made, which obviously eluded several of you, is that something can only be groundbreaking once.

After that, it's been done.
>>
>>336149689
Do you mean gyrocopters? The have existed for dozens of years. Problem is cities are built around land transport.
>>
File: smug reinhard.png (150 KB, 394x298) Image search: [Google]
smug reinhard.png
150 KB, 394x298
>>336148830
>>
>>336150135
Do you even realize how stupid you are?

Doom wasn't the first shooter.
>>
>>336149975
>VR is the next step past 3D.
Someone else here gets it. It'll take a few years, but it's beginning. I'm hyped.

Playing Minecraft on GearVR is a totally different experience.
>>
File: 6vScT.jpg (137 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
6vScT.jpg
137 KB, 717x880
>>336148796
>sub
>>
>>336150020
>Non-euclidean geometry.
What game?
>>
File: minecraft__140227211000.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
minecraft__140227211000.jpg
550 KB, 1920x1080
MINECRAFT IS A RELATIVELY NEW REVOLUTIONARY GENRE U DUMMIES
>>
>>336151082
You're unironically right tbqh.
>>
a start to resurrecting fps gaming would stop adding broken lag compensation which punishes everyone but spics who want to ruin white people games
>>
>>336146873

>maze navigator
>ground breaking game

mfw
>>
>>336151751
Nice meme friend

*upvotes your post*
>>
>>336150910
Hyperrogue
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.