[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the opinion on Darkest Dungeon? Been considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: header (1).jpg (58 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header (1).jpg
58 KB, 460x215
What's the opinion on Darkest Dungeon? Been considering grabbing it but it's $25 and I'm not sure if it's even worth it at that price
>>
>>336124089
>rogue like
>is fun for a while but ultimately you'll end up doing the same thing over and over again trying to get the right party for a boss fight

buy it and have fun the 30 hours or so it will give you
>>
not worth that price
>>
File: DDTime.png (32 KB, 943x97) Image search: [Google]
DDTime.png
32 KB, 943x97
It's a good pickup on a sale, but it's a bit threadbare for $25 unless you REALLY like Lovecraftian theming and are OK with occasional bullshit RNG getting one of your guys killed.
>>
A very basic roguelite that's heavily based on RNG.
I wouldn't recommend it unless it's 75% on sale.

Try some of the other less RNG ridden games on Steam.
>>
Honestly if you're an autist and you have a qt3.14 to play it with, it's bretty gud. Strategically you can git really gud and minimize a lot of risk/RNG, so then it merely becomes grooming and creating teams of varying viability. Which is fun.
The bosses are kind of memes, the loot is for upgrade grinds with no affixes/variety/actual-loot aside from trinkets. Artstyle is enjoyable. Stress is a good/shit mechanic depending on how the wind blows.
Idk mang, I bought for chump change, so at 25 bucks you should probably watch some LP cuck play it and see if you'd want it. Or just p I R a t e
>>
>>336125106
Are there any decent healers in the game? So far everyone seems too damn squishy and not enough ways to recover.

Also plague doctor is very underwhelming
>>
>>336125403
Vestal = reliable, lower heals
Occultist = unreliable, higher heals with bleed chance on target
There are also quite a few small heals spread out among the classes--
Of the top of my head you got Crusader, Leper, Houndmaster, Antiquarian, Arbalest, Hellion and Plague Doctor with small self heals.
It's possible to go no-healer for sure.
>>
>>336124089

It's due for a sale, so just wait for that. That said, it's a great game. Very enjoyable.

>>336125403

Vestal is pretty much just a white mage. Occultist has second best heal, although it's very RNG based. Could give you the best heal in the game, or give you 0 and bleed the hero.

Plague doctor gets better as bleed/blight get more important.
>>
What should have been a fun dungeon crawler roguelike ends up becoming a child management simulator, and gets INCREDIBLY grindy as you have to manage multiple teams later on.
>>
>>336125648
>It's possible to go no-healer for sure.
How? Food is terrible for healing
>>
I kind of want it but the price is way too high for the type of game and content it looks to have.
>>
>>336125805

Not him, but I assume he's talking about relying on campfires with good camping heal skills.
>>
>>336125403
>Also plague doctor is very underwhelming

This changes once you start hitting enemies with a high protect and dodge, and you realize PD can blight two enemies to death in about 2 turns.
>>
>>336125805
just blast em with damage and high speed. try to kill them on the first turn.

works okay when you can equip your guys with epics and full upgrades on rank 2 missions. otherwise it's very rng based
>>
>>336125805
Food is terrible one at a time, but a surplus of food (in the Warrens this happens frequently) can carry you. Going no healer more so relies on managing what damage you take with small heals, but more so out damaging the enemies. Crits to lower stress. Stacking scouting chance and bringing specialized units to the area of the quest. Trinkets make this more viable as they enable varying builds. And of course, solid camping planning/execution are the lynchpin of profitable no-healer runs.
>>
>>336125403
Vestal and Occultist are the only real healers, but other classes can self or meme heal like crusader or arbalist.

And plague doctor has double rear stun and doiluble rear blight so dont front on best girl
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>336125805
Leper
Bounty Hunter
Arbalest
Plague Doctor

Try this in the warrens/wield and you'll find out.
>>
>>336124089
good early-mid game, horrendous grind tier late game.
Amazing voice acting and designs, but gameplay-wise isnt worth 25$
>>
>>336126282
Gimme dat incision PD tho
Highly underrated cleanup attack that sets up kills with your frontline after the back has been nuked
>>
What's the furthest you've gotten without someone getting bodied?
>>
With just one coin you can replicate perfectly the gameplay of the game.

A roulette can do the trick too if you want better graphics.
>>
>>336126432
Yeah, and maybe Battlefield medicine if you're going to the Warrens since there's so much blight/bleed.
>>
if I can go 45 weeks without someone dying to le ebin RNG, then surely you can too my nig
>>
File: lays-lightly-salted.png (200 KB, 334x483) Image search: [Google]
lays-lightly-salted.png
200 KB, 334x483
>>336126685
>>
>>336126819
Occultist/BH*3
Turtle fucking power dude
>>
>>336126685
Ok, that made me laugh.
>>
>>336124089
PROTIP: Kill AT LEAST one enemy per turn. More than likely you'll win no problem if you kill 2+ dudes on the first turn of combat. Getting the numbers advantage is critical, so focus down units rather than spread out damage too thin
>>
It's a neat dungeon crawler and quite fun for a while. You're technically always progressing if you're upgrading your buildings which makes losing characters slightly less frustrating.

The main issue is that the game is a huge grind toward the end.
>>
>>336125403
Vestal is damage healer
Jester / Houndsmaster are stress healers.
Antiquarian is sort of a damage preventer / shitty healer - has high speed works best with speed increasing abilities.
Arbalest is an okay damage healer in a pinch (pairs well with houndmaster / bounty hunter offensively).
Plague doctor is a shitty healer but can remove blight / bleed. Is very good at stunning (thus preventing damage).
Occultist has potentially extremely high single target healing, also has crippling enemy debuffs.

Pair your healers and damage preventers with things that can tank or deal damage well. Kill enemies quickly so you don't take damage from them, and stun ones that you can't kill right away.
>>
>>336128540
Crusader also has some heal / stress heal but it's generally not worth much.

Leper has good self heal / stress heal.
>>
>>336128772
>>336128540
Abomination is also capable of self healing stress and damage, but can't be paired with the leper, vestal, or crusader, which makes him great with the occultist and plague doctor.
>>
where's the best place to pirate the current patch.

I'm curious about the game but I'd like to wait for a steam sale to happen before I purchase it because I am an extremely poorfag
>>
File: 1462042462135.jpg (47 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1462042462135.jpg
47 KB, 500x667
>>336124089

I had the same worry, and what it really boils down to is if you enjoy the turn-based gameplay and atmosphere, you'll love it. If the combat doesn't pull you in, then you'll hate it because that's 90% of the game.

It's really similar to a tabletop game in both feel and gameplay, so if you like D&D or Call of Cthulhu or anything like that, you'll probably like DD too.
>>
>>336125403
>plauge doctor underwhelming

They are arugubly the best class in the game

>Blashpmy vial
>stun vial
>Double rank stun ability

Can easily get to 155-170% stun chance mid game and just shut down the enemy
>>
>>336125648
Depends

Fighting the siren for example or the Necromancer would end horribly

Even with a Death's Door team
>>
>>336124089
Wait for a sale.
>>
>>336128540
>Houndmaster is stress heal
Nigga you fucked up

Hes crowd control

Him paired with a plauge doctor can shut down 3 out of 4 targets

Then a vestal with judgement+ Leper(or anyone really) can clean up
>>
I played it a lot during early access and had a ton of fun with it, the devs did make some questionable design choices though, if you want to actually beat the game there's a fair bit of grinding involved. Its pretty impressive that the game stays fresh as long as it does though because there's surprisingly little content that's just served up in slightly different ways to stretch it.

I think its probably the 10/10 presentation that makes it feel more worth playing, that announcer, the music, the sound effects, everything is just perfect.

give this gameplay a watch OP and you'll see what I mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteNwIgSyOk

I played for over 100 hours, I think its worth it but you might want to wait for a sale. its well worth playing.
>>
it's bretty good desu
has this "one more run" thing going for it, though it's not exactly deep or anything
>>
>>336131390
>grinding

You can get level 3 heros off the stage coach now with the right upgrades

Killing a boss is rougly 1-2 levels outright
>>
>>336132318
idk, I haven't played it since the very unimpressive "full release" where they said oh we didn't finish the last hero wait another 2 months for that lol
>>
>>336132841
The new hero is basically a money generator

Losing heroes is bad, but it isn't such a death knell anymore
>>
is there any DLC yet?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.