[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Don't get me wrong, I am a Nintendo fan, though I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: Nintendo.png (223 KB, 843x422) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo.png
223 KB, 843x422
Don't get me wrong, I am a Nintendo fan, though I don't love all of their franchises, but if you think about it Nintendo has been making the same games since the 80s. By that I mean games that are steeped in traditional, arcade design. I'd like to see Nintendo challenge themselves & deliver a few new IPs that have compelling narratives & deep gameplay like in The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4. I think it could really help in bringing variety to their current franchises.

More & more I find myself unable to be grabbed by Nintendo games because most of them lack strong narratives. With Nintendo games, it's pretty much what you see is what you get. Colourful mascot characters collecting bananas & jumping on Goombas just isn't doing it for me anymore. As I'm getting older this stuff gradually appeals to me less & less. I need something that does that little bit more & goes that little bit deeper.

So, what do you think? I think making more games that focus on having strong narratives & a darker or more grounded visual style could really help diversify their offerings. After all, it's said that they make games for everyone, right?
>>
>>336119237
>if you think about it Nintendo has been making the same games since the 80s
>games that are steeped in traditional, arcade design
Imagine being this delusional.
>>
>>336119394
>Refute it
>>
File: shocking lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
shocking lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>336119527
>steeped in traditional, arcade design
oh yeah i remember seeing this game in arcades all over the place.
>>
File: 1458032589184.jpg (244 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458032589184.jpg
244 KB, 1280x720
>>336119641
>>
The games in which they've attempted to add narrative are usually their worst-selling in their respective series, such as Super Mario Sunshine, or Other M. Simple yet engaging gameplay is what they're good at and should stick to. No one will blame you for going to other games to get your fill of narrative, then maybe coming back when you're in the mood for a fun romp with colorful mascots.
>>
>but if you think about it Nintendo has been making the same games since the 80s.

Someone was on GAF today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213615
>>
File: video-growing-pikmin.jpg (68 KB, 414x233) Image search: [Google]
video-growing-pikmin.jpg
68 KB, 414x233
there's never been a game more steeped in "traditional arcade design" than pic related.
>>
File: smash_bros_comparison.jpg (658 KB, 673x2342) Image search: [Google]
smash_bros_comparison.jpg
658 KB, 673x2342
>>336119237
nice bait my man.

Also, on the off chance you're being serious, Nintendo dabbled in a more realistic visual style when they made Brawl.
They failed, nobody liked it.
>>
File: snake nope.jpg (20 KB, 326x318) Image search: [Google]
snake nope.jpg
20 KB, 326x318
Nah man, we have enough cinematic shit.
I like Nintendo games because I know I can relax and have a good time and not worry about storylines.
I'm not saying story-driven games are bad, but I like having the choice.
>>
Second thread, good job, keep on going
>>
>>336119237
>>336119927
Good to see some fellow Gaffers on /v/ LOL
>>
True!
>>
>>336119983
Probably because they tried cartoony characters with realistic textures
Imagine realistic characters with realistic graphics
>>
>Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nintendo fan...
>Proceeds to say a bunch of bullshit that non Nintendo fans have been spewing for years.

You're not a Nintendo fan.
>>
>>336119237
>compelling narratives & deep gameplay like in The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4.
Stopped reading there
>>
>>336119237
>I'd like to see Nintendo challenge themselves & deliver a few new IPs that have compelling narratives & deep gameplay like in The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4
Challenge themselves by dumbing down their games with cutscenes that spell the plot out for you?
I presume this was a bad bait attempt, but the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are both mediocre at best. Nintendo make games, there's often cool plots in the games and typically those plots are told through the gameplay, as opposed to a lot of their competition who cut up brief sections of "hey, climb up there" and "meet me at the old bridge" which contain the 'playing' of the games with lengthy cutscenes that spell everything out for the player.

I like nintendo because they don't make such vapid, 'story-driven' games for 'mature gamers'. You know, since nintendo make games that are often more challenging with conceptual integrity (regardless of simplicity). And they're reliable in that.

The second Nintendo falls into making anything like you've proposed, they're losing their entire identity and the trust of the majority of their customers.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.