[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Is Better?:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (227 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
227 KB, 1680x1050
The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy or The Jak & Daxter Trilogy?
>>
RnC, without a doubt.

Speaking of autism though, why is it that every Ratchet video uses a completely different design on the thumbnail to the one the actual video is about?
>>
Ratchet and Clank, had way more options to customize outift, weapons, upgrades, gamemodes, arenas, all that shit.
>>
>>336117284
sly cooper
>>
>>336117284
Ratchet & Clank
More consistent quality, higher peak
>>
Jak & Daxter had a cool metroidvania world layout, and a much better sense of exploration during gameplay (which I love). The first game at least, I have yet to play the others.

RnC focused too much on ranged weapons combat, which, with a controller, is just not very satisfying to me.

It's completely a personal preference. But to me, J&D is superior by far.
>>
Sly>Jak>Ratchet
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
224 KB, 1920x1080
Story: Jak > Ratchet
Gameplay: Ratchet > Jak
Also Jak 2 is such a drastically different jump from the first. You start from an adventurous game with colorful environments into an edgy GTA clone with the Jak and Daxter universe painted all over it. If Jak 2 lacked the lore, art style, and conceptual enhancements from the first, I wouldn't even assume that it was a real Jak game.
Being able to use different varieties of zoomers was awesome as fuck though. As I enjoyed the Zoomer challenges in the first game.
>>
Ratchet > Sly > Jak

Jak 1 is amazing, it's downhill from 2 onwards.

Sly and Ratchet are consistently good.
>>
Jak 1>Jak 2>RnC UYA>RnC GC>RnC 1>Jak 3
That's just my opinion of course. I just hated the Wasteland parts of Jak 3, but it was a very solid game otherwise. Admittedly I'm more biased to Jak since I played them when I was younger, only finished RnC 1 and got about 70% through GC until last year.
>>
>>336118193
>J&D
>haven't played the others

The others are why J&D is the worse trilogy. 2 and 3 are ass
>>
>>336118821
>it's downhill from 2 onwards.
Jak 2 = Jak 3 > J&D

Difficult game with interesting story and good mix of platforming and puzzles vs simple platforming game.
>>
>>336118661
>If Jak 2 lacked the lore, art style, and conceptual enhancements from the first, I wouldn't even assume that it was a real Jak game.
This. I remember the first time I'd heard of Jak II was when I was in a supermarket and saw the box. Spent a good few minutes looking at it trying to make sure it actually was a Jak and Daxter game.
>>
The DB with bayo vs Dante was fucking shit.
>>
Both are pretty fun, but I have always enjoyed Ratchet more.
>>
I love both series, but I'm gonna have to give it to RnC.

Jak has the sweet lore and the story, but Ratchet has the raw gameplay. As much as I love Jak 3 and consider it one of my favorite PS2 games, I can remember playing UYA over and over and over and over and over until I got each and every little thing.

Plus Ratchet has the Insomniac Museum and I fucking love interactive dev rooms that show you all the beta shit. I wish more games would do that, shame the RnC2016 Insomniac Museum was kind of dry.
>>
Neither series has a foxy lady cop or cute shotas and loli saving the world from monkeys.
>>
>>336120861
RnC has an actual half fox half commander
>>
Sly fox
>>
>>336121078
Ok
>>
So, after teh R&C movie being a flop, do you think the Sly movie will be next?
>>
>>336121078
>>336121213
>>
>>336118193

J&D 1 is better than R&C 1 certainly, but while the Ratchet sequels got better and better the Jak sequels got worse.
>>
>>336119001
So you call an immersive 3D platformer with a huge interconnected world that has charm and heart a simple platforming game? Face it kiddo you like the edge better than you like good games.
>>
>Jak 2 is bad

Outside of the disconnection with the first game, it's a really great game. I still don't understand the hate.
>>
>>336122326

> it's a really great game
Everything that was wrong about Ratchet 1 was implemented in Jak 2, except even worse.
>>
When do you think we would get a 3D LBP game? would it be better or worse than the other games?
>>
>>336122819
Tearaway
>>
>>336123089
Tearawyw didnt felt like a platform because you had to wait for a while to jump.
>>
>>336123161
So it's basically a 3D LBP
>>
>>336123260
But you couldnt jump at all until you earn the ability to do it.
>>
File: 1449876928782.jpg (5 KB, 199x250) Image search: [Google]
1449876928782.jpg
5 KB, 199x250
>JaD was a great platforming adventure game with a huge interconnected world, no loading screens, good movement options and lots of things to do in each zone

>They ditched the formula afterwards
>>
>>336117284
Jak > Sly >>>>>> shit > Ratchet
R&C is the exact same mediocre game with new le epic random chicken gunzorz every time, Jak kept the same core 3D platformer gameplay but introduced game-changing elements with every iteration.

>>336122039
How to spot an Insomniac drone
>>
>>336123520
oh hey it's this faggot again
>>
File: 1429247521574.jpg (124 KB, 544x546) Image search: [Google]
1429247521574.jpg
124 KB, 544x546
>>336123520
>>
>>336122704
Except the only thing wrong with R&C1 is the no strafe.
>>
>>336123574
>>336123601
>Ratchetfags bein hella epic
Reddit and Clank is shit m8s, at least ND had the decency to let Jak die with the PS2
>>
>>336123671

And Jak 1 has no strafe or even a way of manually aiming guns.

If you though Ratchet 1 had bad weapons, then Jak 2 has even fewer weapons and even plainer weapons. Two of them can only be used for 10 seconds before they fizzle out and the others are a pitiful pellet gun and a standard shotgun.

Think original Ratchet was an asshole? Jak in the sequel is a full edgelord.
>>
>>336123778
you're still the same edgy jak fan?
it's getting kinda repetitive and no one here likes you
>>
>>336123671
and the Clank segments which take forever and force you to retread the same place just with Ratchet instead.
and there being no way to easily get ammo or bolts so you end up dying for some ammo every once in a while, along with Visibomb ammo costing 1k bolts, controls like ass, and several puzzles need to use it.
>>
I just want to say that Jak is a great series when you put the time in and if there are any anons thinking about whether or not it's worth playing - it really really is.

The plot through the whole trilogy is legit and in my opinion works better than RnC's plot.

Jak 2 is very different from the first game but it's a fun different and if you want to call it edgy go for it because I totally loved it and I think most anyone would too.

Jak 3 deserves no hate - it has better guns than Jak 2 and the plot continues to be really good. The wasteland stuff is fun and the cheat menu actually gives you incentive to complete all those side quests.

I don't want to say one is better than the other but as someone who only played Ratchet when I was younger I fell deeply in love with the Jak series.

But if there's one thing that makes my blood boil it's at the end of Jak 3 when that military bitch walks up to Jak and Daxter does a face like they're kissing - what about you're blue haired waifu Jak!
>>
>>336123864

>and the Clank segments which take forever and force you to retread the same place just with Ratchet instead.
Except the 2 Clank segments in the whole game take place in different sections of the planet to Ratchet's.
>>
>>336123940
I recall there being that one gas planet that you can't go to but Clank can tread to shut off the gas and you end up going the same way anyway outside of the one or two rooms where the Gadgebots were, and then th eother one where you need the magnet boots to walk along the wall instead of how Clank did it.
>>
File: lajim.jpg (67 KB, 641x795) Image search: [Google]
lajim.jpg
67 KB, 641x795
>>336123850
>I'm gonna throw around meaningless buzzwords to try and seem cool without actually providing an argument in favor of my shit game
Okaie dokie artichokie
>>
>>336123864

>and the Clank segments which take forever and force you to retread the same place just with Ratchet instead.
This only applies to Orxon and even then you don't go through the same areas as Clank.
>and several puzzles need to use it (Visibomb)
And all of those were optional.
>>
>>336124053
>without actually providing an argument in favor of my shit game
Something I've never seen you do actually.
>>
>>336124053
funnily enough your only arguments were buzzwords
>>
>>336124245
So you can't read? I mean I know Ratchet games appeal to people in middle school, but I mean you should be able to read by middle school. >>336123520
>>
>>336124373
>ratchet games appeal to people middle school

and jak games appeal to edgy middle schoolers, hows that any different?
>>
>>336124373

>It's new therefore it's good.
Shit argument really. Ratchet recognised its flaws and got more polished with each iteration without completely changing the formula, while Jak was so desperate to innovate that it threw out everything that worked in an attempt to follow trends.
The same thing that happened to Sonic the Hedgehog, actually.
>>
File: Playstation platformers.jpg (1 MB, 1912x1564) Image search: [Google]
Playstation platformers.jpg
1 MB, 1912x1564
R&C, but I like both.

Now rank all 6.
>>
>>336124678

I never liked Ape Escape because of the gimmick controls.
>>
Ratchet is superb, 1 and 2 are fantastic games.
Sly 2 and 3 and excellent as well, with 2 being the best out of all of these.
Jak is a cool series overall, if not infuriating at moments. I will never forget the failure sound. Jak 3 is the best.

so, Sly2>R&C2>Jak3>R&C1>Sly3>>everything else
>>
>>336124678
Ratchet>Crash>Sly>Spyro>Ape Escape>Jak
>>
>>336117284
The original Jak and Daxter was great but the others sucked.

Ratchet and Clank is mostly good.
>>
>>336124678
I like Crash is the weakest because its the most linear one and feels more 2.5d than 3d
>>
>>336124678

Ratchet > Spyro > Jak > Ape Escape > Sly > Crash
>>
I recently played Jak 1 and loved it. Reminded me of the old 3D platforming collectathons I grew up loving.
Played Jak 2, it shits on everything 1 was. Couldn't finish it.
Too scarred to play Jak 3... should I?
>>
>>336124920

The intro to Jak 3 is by far the worst.

It gets better.
>>
>>336124920
It fixed a bunch of the bad bits of 2 but it introduced other bad bits like a bunch more driving if you can believe it and it made it so much easier due to Light Eco and the reflector yellow gun.
>>
>>336117284
I couldn't finish Jak 2 and never bothered with 3.

It was kind of heartbreaking how Jak was suddenly Edgy McEdgelord and everything was gritty and no longer bright colorful fun.
>>
>>336125076

Being edgy was the least of Jak 2's problems.
>>
>>336118193
>It's completely a personal preference. But to me, J&D is superior by far

oh god stop talking
>>
>>336124519
>It's new therefor it's good
Nobody is saying that but Ratchetfags. If anything got more polished it was Jak, the platforming and mobility of the character became more fluid and precise while having new gameplay elements such as guns and vehicles added to it in Jak II, and these mechanics too were improved upon in Jak III, which made the vehicles not terrible and worked out some kinks with the weapons.
Ratchet didn't become more polished, they just threw in a trillion new guns to reel in autists, every R&C game still has those godawful clank segments, laughably easy platforming, and shit writing and characters.
>>
>>336124678
Jak > Sly > Crash > Spyro >>>>>>> Ratchet
I never played Ape Escape
>>
>>336126227

All the new mechanics in Jak 2 were implemented terribly.
The core nugget of platforming gameplay that was undeniably fun in Jak 1 became more and more ignored so it could take a backseat to loose and imprecise shooting with unsatisfying guns.
The seamless level transitions in Jak 1 meant you were quickly able to go to any level without much filler. In fact it was better than Ratchet's planets system, it made you feel like you were in a living world with everything interconnected.
Well fuck that, in Jak 2 you ride around an empty city on a hovership which can barely be steered and has no velocity for hours so you can stand in front of a gate loading screen and just appear in a totally inconsistent environment.

Ratchet 1 had problems too. The combat was clunky with no strafing. The weapon variety wasn't very interesting, with many useless weapons. Each of these problems were worse in Jak 2 by the way, and didn't get fixed in Jak 3.
Ratchet 2 did fix those issues.

tl;dr Jak 2 broke shit, Ratchet 2 fixed shit.
>>
>>336117284
Ratchet and Clank by far because it is actually fun.
>>
>>336118821
Sly 2 was significantly better than the others. Didn't play 4
>>
>>336117284
>Ratchet is allowed to use the RYNO V
>Clank was never shown to be able to selectively exclude others from time distortion, only himself
>Jak isn't allowed to use the Beam Reflexor, Needle Lazer, Gyro Burster, or the Super Nova
This match was biased.
>>336127842
4 is easily better than 3 and 1, but still not as good as 2. I recommend it
>>
>>336129663
Also doesn't help with the R&C movie being out as well. The winner is usually decided with outside events.
>>
>>336129663
3 had that qt mechanic girl.
>>
>>336123821
> Jak is an edgelord

How? Because of the Praxis thing?

Jak is fairly nice to everyone he meets (except, you'know the people who tortured him for 2 years) and is mostly calm and collected, but he was ALWAYS friendly to Daxter even if he facepalmed a few times, they had good chemistry.

Ratchet on the other hand was a complete bully and legit terrible person for the middle third of the game. He's dismissive and hostile to anyone who's not benifiting him in his revenge quest against Qwark and his treatment of Clank is painful to watch, he would have sold him for scrap multiple times if he wasn't needed to start the ship.
>>
>>336131294
People seem to forget Ratchet was a dick and focus more on how Jak said he wanted to kill Praxis.
>>
>>336117284
In terms of trilogy, R&C.
In terms of individual games, the first Jak and Daxter is still the best of them all.
>>
>>336132585
Because Ratchet grew to stop being a dick half way through the game. Meanwhile you go from happy and bright lala land(Jak 1) to dark and gritty "I'm going to kill Praxis"(Jak 2). Not only was the tonal shift so bad but it was handled terribly.
>>
>>336132696

Good taste anon
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.