[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point in putting the bonfires so fucking far away
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
What was the point in putting the bonfires so fucking far away from the bosses other than to just piss me off?
>>
>>336099113
>things people who haven't played Demon's Souls say
>>
>>336099113
ikr op? artificial difficulty: the game.
>>
>>336099583
>worst selling console of its generation
>people didn't play an unpopular title for it

collar my surprise
>>
>>336099113
the wheel skeletons fucked me so many times when i tried to reach pin wheel i fucking rage quitted the game for weeks
>>
>>336099692
gr8 b8 uglee guy.
>>
>>336099865
I just deleted DS off my harddrive because of Seathe on NG+. Fucking 5 minute run to get back to fight him every time, my health is cursed in half, and all of his tail swipes are a one hit death.

Sure I could fucking farm souls for 10 hours and "git gud" enough so I'm not killed in one hit, or you could make the bonfire closer so I wouldn't get so mad about having to run back for 5 minutes everytime I die.
>>
>>336100207
Seathe inst even hard
>>
>>336099113
To help you get gud
>>
>>336100207
>>336099865
>there are people who stop playing Souls games when they're stuck on a boss instead of exploring in a different direction for awhile and coming back later
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10097196
>>
>>336100367
I already left the four kings for the same reason, went and beat Ceaseless Discharge and Bed of Chaos, went to Seathe and got the same problem. The game is pretty much forcing me to stay in undead burg and kill skeletons until I level up 20 times.
>>
>>336100526

You shouldn't need to grind. You just need to git gud.
>>
Is there a bonfire more than 3 minutes away from a boss in any souls game?
>>
>>336100298
I know, if I could survive his tailswipe I would be fine.

>>336100587
fuck off fag I already beat the game once. NG+ is just a farming waste of time.
>>
>>336100703
one minute is too long.
>>
>>336100587
This. Once you play enough and learn how to beat each boss because you know their every move, you don't need to level yourself a ton. You can beat the game with starting knight armor and upgraded starting sword
>>
>>336100890
that's wat I told ur mum last night
>>
>>336100705
sounds like a lot of butthurt. git gud faggot
>>
>>336100207
>Sure I could fucking farm souls for 10 hours and "git gud" enough so I'm not killed in one hit, or you could make the bonfire closer so I wouldn't get so mad about having to run back for 5 minutes everytime I die.

This. This. I would simply test more strategies if the bonfires weren't so fucking far away. Instead, that because of that, I must take the most boring and safestest choice every time.
>>
>>336101112
The trick with Seath is just easy. Stand in front until he does his breath attack, then walk to the side to not get hit. Then proceeed to hit him and repeat.
>>
>>336100367
i only took a long break because it was so frustrating to play that area, and i just habitually clear entire areas before moving on to the next because it feels more clean that way
>>
>>336101235
>The trick with

Anon, nobody cares about the tricks that you found. If it isn't already clear, the point is that most people needs more tries to test more strategies to find those tricks by themselves. The bonfire being that far away discourage that and, again, encourage the most boring and safest choices.
I heard that DaS3 has more bonfires, though, so maybe FROM finally got that.
>>
>>336100207
just go farm humanity off rats or dlc like everyone else fag
>>
>>336101697
>most people needs more tries to test more strategies
Took me 2 tries to come up with that. 1 more to execute it. How hard can it be?
>>
>>336103291
why would I do that? I need souls not humanity.
>>
>>336105575
Item drop rate, summoning, and awesome heals
>>
>>336100703
4-2 in DeS is probably the worst Boss-run in the series. It obviously varies by player, but I'd say it still takes 3-5 minutes even when you know the level perfectly.
>>
I don't mind the bonfires being too far away from one another. I do mind bonfires being too far away from bosses most of the times, with damage sponge enemies in between nonetheless.
>>
>>336099113
there was no other reason. I don't know how much I have to say it these games aren't fun.
>>
I both enjoy and hate the existence of boss path shortcuts
from a game design perspective, sure, it's great, reward the player for clearing the area up to this point and give him a checkpoint
from an aesthetic design perspective, shit's obviously there for convenience and it breaks muh immersion
>>
fuck the capra boss run. going all the way from firelink just to get raped by dogs.....before going through the fog door
>>
>>336099113
You're cute when you're angry
>>
>>336106817
bed of chaos is worse cause its extremely hard hard to beat it in one try, also the stone demon thing which sometimes one hits you if you ain't fast enough
>>
>>336106817
>>336106817
>firelink shrine
Anon...

Anon...please, tell me you noticed the bonfire in the undead burg?

It's right there. Immediately visible from the main path.

It makes the run to the capra demon nothing more than a few rogues and a few dogs, plus like 5 chump ass hollowed soldiers and knights.
>>
>>336099692
>collar my surprise
>collar
Fuck off back to school, kid
>>
>>336107067
yeah i obviously know the one in undead burg but the first time i played dark souls i didnt realise i could increase the number of estus so i just took the firlelink bonfire to get 5 more estus flasks
>>
>>336100703
Shadows of Yharnam has a 3 minute runback
Seath has like 4 or 5 minutes
Nito has like 3 minutes
Bed of Chaos has 4 or more
>>
>>336099583
I've played demon souls and i agree with OP. That shit was bonkers. A lot of gameplay hours will be from you running through the same path over and over again to then ATTEMPT to fight the boss.
>>
>>336107067
I go from firelink cos its less danger and i dont have to waste what little humanity i have early game
>>
>>336107736
By waste i mean kindling bonfires that dont need to be
>>
>>336107429
this
>>
>>336107429
Only if you're trash
>>
>>336107337
Seath was the fucking worst. I had more trouble actually getting to him than beating him. Those goddamn clams.
>>
>>336099113
>What was the point in putting the bonfires so fucking far away from the bosses

"replay value", brah
>>
>>336107878

I'm currently experiencing this at the moment. I can never seem to pull only one of those things.
>>
>>336107859
That makes no sense. Even if you're good and can efficiently make it through, you still had to spend 3-4 minutes doing so each fucking time you attempt to fight the boss.
Then you actually have to fight the boss. Die? another 3-5 minutes of bullshit before you can TRY again.
>>
>DS3
>beat Dragonslayer Armor
>light bonfire
>walk twenty feet to the Grand Archives
>another bonfire
>you can see the last bonfire from that one
why
>>
>>336108026
if they put a Bonfire outside boss rooms it would be too easy.
>>
>>336107991
I wish I could give you some tips, but I think i just got lucky the time I made it past them. I actually beat Seath himself on the first try.
>>
To win at Dark Souls, all you need is to save up some humanity for when you hit up Blighttown, farm those leeches for upgrade materials and just max your weapon and armour. The game is a cake walk if you do this. Sacrifice a little time to farm and you'll reap the rewards. Not only will you amass a lot of titanites but after 30 minutes you'll have enough souls to upgrade your armour AND get some extra levels.
>>
>>336108067
Not if they make bosses that are genuinely difficult.
>>
>>336107953
"HURR DURR GAMEZ ARE TOO HARD WITHOUT QUICK SAVES !!"

This is you, and this is your (you).
>>
>>336108049
>DS2
>Huntsman's Copse
>first bonfire at the start
>get to second bonfire and knock over tree
>now there's a shortcut between the bonfires with one weak enemy between them
>>
>>336099113
They are literally less than 15 meters away in some cases in DaS3. In DaS1 you could just run past every enemy in about 1 minute and thirty seconds for every boss area.
>>
>>336108049
I hated that too. A bonfire after wach boss is cool but why did 50% of then have a second bonfire right around the corner at the start of a new area. Surely the 20 second run from the previous bonfire with no enemies in between is good enough
>>
>>336108049

I was more annoyed by the fact that the key to the Grand Archives door was :

JUST
IN
FRONT
OF
THE
FUCKING
DOOR.
>>
Bed of chaos is worse with this sure there's a closer bonfire but you spend more time running back than actually practicing to dodge correctly.
Plus forced damage getting to him across the lava.
>>
>>336099113
To make you git gud. No I'm not memeing that's really it. The more punishing it is to die the more intense it gets trying to survive. You're expected to die from an area until you've understood the safest and most effective way to get through it. That is it's own reward and part of why people like these games. If you can't figure master an area you will end up facing a boss while having not enough health or healing items left to survive him, aka you weren't good enough. The area is just as much of a boss as the boss itself. It's really not that weird of a concept but I guess if you're a millennial you wouldn't know better.
>>
>>336108470
yeah that bothered me too, but i think i read somewhere that the key doesnt spawn if you didnt do one specific thing or so.
>>
File: 1394326794835.jpg (120 KB, 658x933) Image search: [Google]
1394326794835.jpg
120 KB, 658x933
>>336108926

This anon sums it up perfectly.
>>
>>336100207
Remove the curse then you fucking idiot. It's fucking NG+ how do you not know how to avoid getting cursed or dispelling it? Farming souls has nothing to do with it, you are just playing the game like a gimped retard and then getting mad at the game for being too hard.
>>
Why don't you guys just rush passed the enemies and go through the fog?
>>
>>336108159
I have a +10 shield and a +5 black knight halbred.

And on NG+ I still can't beat the Four Kings. I've tried every strategy. Slow tank them, speed dodge them, nothing works. They just spam their unblockable magic attack.
>>
>>336109886
I even tried summoning the witch to help.
>>
>>336109886
Best 4kangz strat is get atleast 35 vit, upgrade your estus, get some poise armour and hit trade as fast as you can until they're dead. Inbetween kangz, pop a new green moss and make sure your health is topped off.
>>
>>336109886
Get a quelags fury blade, put on havels, pit on grass crest, cast iron flesh, put himanities in your hot bar, bam easiest fight ever even in ng+
>>
File: 1401811978489.jpg (43 KB, 340x319) Image search: [Google]
1401811978489.jpg
43 KB, 340x319
Why doesn't everyone roll Thief? Surely the critical damage bonus is worth a few wasted stat points?
>>
>>336110293
>>336110183
That doesn't do shit against their magic, which is all they fucking do whenever I fight them. Every youtube video of the Four Kings on NG+ is just the King's swinging at them the whole time and never using magic. Luck of the draw I guess.
>>
It's hard to explain, I almost enjoy it. They really aren't -that- far away in most cases. The most annoying bonfire isn't even one to another boss, it's to another bonfire. Andre's Forge into Sen's Fortress first one is annoying.

Also the repetition will make you know where enemies spawn and how to handle them more effectively if they keep fucking you up.
>>
>>336100526
Go and kill the soldiers in the forest right before the Darkmoon Covenant if you're looking for some quick levels.

though at a point not even levels will help.
>>
>>336110761
>Luck of the draw I guess.

No, you're just total shit if you haven't figured out what makes them cast magic and what makes them melee you by now
>>
>>336111091
fuck sens bonfire. why the hell would i eplore the area that looks like a bomb exploded there. took me 3 tries on iron golem before i realised there has to be something somewhere
>>
>NG+ is just more damage

Woooooooow
>>
>>336108470
>>336108974
You need to have defeated 3 previous lords of cinders for it to appear.
>>
>>336099113
>Game makes you emotional just from the gameplay alone
>This is bad

Neo-/v/ everyone
>>
>>336111345
go on
>>
>>336111591
Hug them > Melee/Grab
Keep Distance > Magic

Their Melee attacks do less damage the closer you are to the boss when he hits you
>>
>>336111734
but that's wrong. I do nothing but hug them and they spam magic.
>>
>>336111790
If it isn't the magic explosion they cast on themselves your full of shit
>>
>>336110386

Guise, I'm not understanding this
Free built-in ring. What's the catch I'm not seeing?
>>
>>336111932
The description from the build screen is inaccurate. It's the dagger that has the crit bonus.
>>
>>336112075

Ah. I guess I could have wiki'd that. Thanks, Anon
I just did my first playthrough blind, and obviously I've missed tons of shit
>>
Literally the only bad thing about Souls games. It's a waste of time.
>>
File: disgusting.png (105 KB, 180x271) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
105 KB, 180x271
>>336099113
>Revisiting Northern Asylum
>Tfw Stray Demon

This game is one of my favorites, but it frequently confuses 'hard but fair' with 'hard because it's badly designed'

>There's usually some cool gimmick like the ladder in the Taurus demon fight
>This guy has an attack that I have no way of dodging or blocking and can instantly kill me at the start of the fight if he opens with it
>"What the fuck am I supposed to do, unlock the camera and run away?"
>Unlock the camera, plant my face in its asscheeks and spam light attacks
>Boss fight becomes easy as shit, not because of me understanding and overcoming an obstacle, but because of me employing cheap tactics and the boss unable to respond to them properly
>>
>>336112868
>Boss fight becomes easy as shit, not because of me understanding and overcoming an obstacle, but because of me employing cheap tactics and the boss unable to respond to them properly
that's 100% of the bosses though.
>>
File: anastacia-of-astora-large.jpg (37 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
anastacia-of-astora-large.jpg
37 KB, 600x338
>>336100526
Levels won't help that much with curse. Nastya's clothing set would tho. It probably has the highest curse resist in the game (I may be wrong about that).
>>
>>336108926
>It takes 3 minutes to run back to the boss, this game is so totally amazingly old school and hard, only oldschool gamers like me get it
>>
File: [Monologue Intensifies].jpg (26 KB, 500x316) Image search: [Google]
[Monologue Intensifies].jpg
26 KB, 500x316
Dark Souls objectively becomes shit when you git gud
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.