[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
F.E.A.R thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 10-fear.jpg (126 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
10-fear.jpg
126 KB, 1024x768
Just finished F.E.A.R is the 2nd one worth playing?
>>
>>336097032
2nd one is worth playing.

Don't touch the 3rd.
>>
>>336097032
>Just finished F.E.A.R
How the fuck did you do it? I can never bring myself to go on once you get to that office level with the bullet sponge enemies.
>>
>>336097345
By having good taste
>>
>>336097475
I'm salty.
>>
Play all three and also addons for the first.
Though 3rd sucks most, when I've played first one I've sometimes been thinking it's a parody of worst FPS parts done on purpose. But it's still fun.
>>
FEAR 1 is a PC game ported to console
FEAR 2 is a console game ported to PC
FEAR 3 is a mess
>>
>>336097032
Just play the expansions and pretend there are no sequels.
>>
Where's that fat bastard Mapes?
>>
>>336097792
Yeah that's what i'm leaning towards doing
>>
File: HES TOO FAST.jpg (75 KB, 604x462) Image search: [Google]
HES TOO FAST.jpg
75 KB, 604x462
>>336097032
HE'S TOO FAST
And yes, you should.
>>
>>336097032
play perseus mandate
>>
>>336098031
will do, is F.E.A.R files a good way to play it?
>>
>>336097935
Extraction Point is alright.

Perseus Mandate is a fucking slog that feels like it was cranked out by fucking robots.
>>
>>336098441
>Perseus Mandate is a fucking slog

i unironically thought it was the best FEAR game. most weapon variety, most enemy variety, and it had just the right amount of chapters (not too long like the original or too short like EP)
>>
Play Painkiller.
https://youtu.be/PFrLYqLq8yk?t=292
>>
>>336097032

Play the expansion, they're made by different studios, but worth it.

Second Fear is a good game.

Stay the fuck away from the 3rd... jesus...
>>
>>336097032
>>336098887

*expansions
>>
>>336098886
already have, good shit
>>
File: 1460750616989.png (1 MB, 1283x965) Image search: [Google]
1460750616989.png
1 MB, 1283x965
>tfw planning on playing through the entire F.E.A.R. series
>Played through the first one and expansion
>That jarring transition to F.E.A.R. 2
>Guns had no weight
>Barely any particle effects
>No unarmed ninja moves
>Guns felt like shit
>Nothing had any weight in it
>Hit markers

Couldn't even make it past the second mission, was just too terrible and I'm too scared of the changes made in the 3rd one

Just pretend there was only 1 game
>>
>>336098975

The old one or the remake ?

(avoid the fan-made ones.. they're pretty bad, well ..most of them)
>>
>>336097032
Honestly the second is alright but whatever you do, avoid the third. That shit show that Warner Bros produced was god awful terrible.

In fact, if there should be anything to learn from F.E.A.R 3's development history and handling prior to release, is that it's pretty much what you could expect from Warner Bros. since it has no fucking clue of what to do when it comes to handling the publishing and distribution of digital consumable products like video games.

Because later on, a more high profile instance of WB fucking up, was with Arkham Knight.

and a bit before that, Mortal Kombat X.

But anyway, yeah, F.E.A.R 1 (not the expansions), F.E.A.R 2 (don't bother with the DLCs) and that's it man.
>>
>>336097032
>try first one
>get fps drops to like 10
>look it up
>they actually managed to create a bug due to logitech hardware
no thanks.
>>
>>336099069
Btw that commando chick in F.E.A.R 2? My. fucking. waifu.
>>
>>336099150
>Logitech bug
I had that problem and got over it by switching off a particular feature that involved at the time when it was discovered with the G15 keyboard I had.

Mind you, it was just the keyboard, mouses, are just fine.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1279444.html
>>
>>336099067
There are fan-made ones?

Anyway, I dunno if Black edition adds anything to the original, I played the original & a bit of Black. Don't touch any of the sequels, not worth it.
>>
This op.

The second one has some memorable parts... like the kindergarten school....

If you want, you may try extraction point(first one DLC), its story is non-canon , but its.... dark.
>>
>>336097032
Play the expansions, and then maybe 2 but just know that 2 is painfully average
>>
>>336099308

Back in the day Painkiller was ground-breaking, now it seems meh. It was super hardcore graphically and had a retail release because it was a big budget quality game you upgraded for that pushed more pixels than any engine at the time could.

There's Painkiller and Painkiller Gold/Black which is just the first one + expansion, but named differently based on the region.

Then there's literally like 4 that were made by unknown studios that were fans of the games, they never had retail releases, it was all Steam only stuff.

Overdose started as a mod, was considered bad.

Resurrection was a stand-alone expansion released by the original studio with an updated engine in 2009, not sure if the same people worked on it as Dreamcatcher went through quite a bit after people left People Can Fly and formed Dreamcatcher.

Redemption is an add-on for Overdose that started as a mod and is made by a group of fans basically.

Recurring Evil was released by yet another different studio (similar to a group of fans)

Hell & Damnation was made by some members of the original team and uses the Unreal 3 engine so it's completely updated, they remade nearly all the levels but you had to buy tons of DLC.

imo wait for a sale where you can get everything for like $10

From what I remember half of the fanmade shit is alright, one is considered good, I just can't remember which.

Obviously the original and remake are totally worth it.

The original may require you to change a setting in your drivers (AFAIK only Nvidia supports this). You need to change Max Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 I think, I don't remember, or it will control like shit.
>>
>>336100097
>like 4 that were made by unknown studios
Ah, yeah, these are the sequels/spinoffs I suggested you ignore.

So yeah get Painkiller Black.
>>
File: 1460608711016.jpg (192 KB, 990x386) Image search: [Google]
1460608711016.jpg
192 KB, 990x386
One day, I'll buy this gun and turn it into an exact clone of the one in fear
>>
File: 1461248483022.jpg (76 KB, 770x674) Image search: [Google]
1461248483022.jpg
76 KB, 770x674
>>336100507
>buying HK
>>
>>336100786
I have a russian ak so it balances out
>>
It's spelled F.E.A.R. you fucking stupid cunt. It's an acronym. You put a period after every letter to denote that it means a word. Fuck you.
>>
>>336100868
>being this much of a sperg
>>
>>336100965
NORMIES LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>336101060
mank
>>
>>336099051
3 is even worse. I like how you can see how bad FPS games turned into just by playing the FEAR series.
>>
>>336100507
Aussie here, so I've never touched a gun, but the grip for the trigger hand looks crazy uncomfortable
>>
>>336097032
So many health/reflex boosters did you collect on your first run, /v/?

Did you collect ALL the boosters the next run with guides?

On my first run, on hard, on the end I had 185 HP
It was good, but I was totally clueless were the last 3 boosters were
>>
>>336101772
No idea; my usual runs are max difficulty with no boosters of any kind now.
There's a mod that turns off enemy radio that makes it fucking crazy hard as well.
>>
>>336097782
3 is only worth playing if you have a friend
>>
File: Aoi.jpg (53 KB, 721x501) Image search: [Google]
Aoi.jpg
53 KB, 721x501
>>336097782
This, though didn't play 3.

2 is a downgrade from 1 in every way. It has decent/good content, but all the symptoms of the console disease keep you from enjoying that content.

>guns sound and feel like plastic toys with no weight behind them
>enemies splatter like wet paper upon contact with bullets
>enemies come in droves and are stupid, running in front of your gun
>fucking QTEs, spam X to not die/open door/whatever
>vehicle/turret sections
>that fucking awful goggles HUD, holy fuck
>text boxes open and close with different keys
>text boxes use 1/10th of screen space but still require scrolling
>scrolling by clicking and dragging the scrollbar because mousewheel doesn't fucking work
>can't even bind mouse buttons 4/5 or keys like < ยง ' ^

It's a real shame that game suffers so much from consolitis. I LIKED those lab levels and that train elevator stuff, their design was great.
>>
>>336103891
>Turn off radios
Jesus
You still can hear their footsteps, at least
>>
>>336104924
All you can hear is footsteps, firing and the *tink, tink* of grenades being thrown at you, it's tense as fuck and highly recommended; though i do miss hearing the occasional "fuck!" and "where the fuck is he?!"
>>
>>336097032
Nope, the expansions are decent though
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.