[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have I seen almost no one complain about how fucking linear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 12
File: jailer.jpg (428 KB, 800x1080) Image search: [Google]
jailer.jpg
428 KB, 800x1080
Why have I seen almost no one complain about how fucking linear and boring this game is? The bosses and weapon skills are the only things I really enjoyed about it.
>>
>>336095254
Linearity is a feature, apparently.
>>
>>336095254
Linear was the most complained thing about DKS2 that I heard, and this game literally only makes you backtrack once.
>>
There is plenty of complaining, but the DS3 defense-force will just spam you with "le git gud xxxxdddd"
Don't expect to get any useful conversation.
>>
Why is being linear a bad thing?
>>
All the souls games are linear. How is this new?
>>
>>336095564
Because all the previous souls game were known for having multiple path you can take to progress through the game.
>>
>>336095254
>linear is bad

What's the problem, world not open enough for you? Maybe Skyrim is more your thing.
>>
>>336095254

I don't mind linearity in games. Honestly, I miss it. This whole fucking "open world" trend is getting really fucking old.

I haven't played DSIII but as I understand it, it plays kind of similar to Demons' Souls in that you have a hub and can visit different areas from it. I don't have a problem with that.
>>
>>336095652
And this one does too.
>>
>>336095657
>Dark souls 1 has almost the entirety linked to multiple other areas
>Dark souls 2 you could choose which bosses you want to do and even skip some areas
>Dark souls 3 just straight line my shit up

Other than Smoldering Lake (Side area) and Farron keep, and Boreal dancer, there is no backtracking.
>>
>>336095723
The game progression route at most took you on a single split, and one of the main split is blocked with a literally invincible wall.
You have to beat one of the shittiest boss in the game for a doll that would allow you to travel through this invincible wall that doesn't have any proper explanation of why it is there.

Even if you manage to kill the dancer first, you will still be blocked by a door till you kill the other 3 lord of cinder.
>>
File: 1460902554792.jpg (101 KB, 1024x553) Image search: [Google]
1460902554792.jpg
101 KB, 1024x553
>>336095672
It doesn't at all actually. There is a hub, is near 1 for 1 version of a smaller nexus, but you can only go one path from there. In the game, there are only like 2 parts where the branching paths are mandatory, and 2 that are optional.
>>
What? There's branching paths like always.

You can do Cathedral/Farron's Keep in any order, same as Anor Londo/Profaned Capital. Not to mention the 2 or 3 hidden/optional areas that you can do at any time once you come across them.
>>
>>336095813
>wanting to backtrack

I still haven't found the issue here.
>>
>>336095254
How the fuck can anyone complain about 3 being linear when 2 was literally just a dot with a million directions branching off from that one dot in straight lines? 3 at least had a map and a world that was all one world and was intertwined with itself, despite being somewhat small.
>>
>>336095813
Path of dragon for Grand Belfry
>>
People are still in the honeymoon phase. Gotta wait till that's over to actually discuss the game without praising everything. Same thing with Dark Souls 2.
>>
File: 1440977317826.jpg (218 KB, 1042x884) Image search: [Google]
1440977317826.jpg
218 KB, 1042x884
>>336095254
This game was a little less open than it should've been. It's not a bad game by any means but it was frustrating when you see a path branch off only to find out only one way wasn't a dead end.

Finding doors that dont open from this side

Shortcuts that are irrelevant because of all the fucking bonfires

There was too many bonfires as well. I think i only ran out of estus once.

I still really love the game though.
>>
>>336096014
>DaS3
>intertwine

All you can do is look on the previous area.
Its pleasant to look at but thats it.
>>
>>336096014
See, I called it.
As soon as you mention a flaw in DS3, the defense force come out of the woodwork.
>I don't like this thing
>"BUT DARK SOULS 2..."
>>
>>336096131
Shit man, that's enough for me. Dark Souls 2 was damn depressing with how you couldn't look at other areas in actual real scale.
>>
>>336096181
Yeah, its pretty fucking neat.
But at what cost?
>>
File: Dks3-progress_map.jpg (664 KB, 1374x934) Image search: [Google]
Dks3-progress_map.jpg
664 KB, 1374x934
>>336095904
>dk3

Whoever make that clearly want to make Dk2 look as pathetic as possible, and dk3 looks more complex than it is.
>>
Being linear isn't necessarily a bad thing, but every other Souls game has been pretty open and had several different paths you have to take and you can do them in several different orders(yes, even Dark Souls 2). This adds a ton of depth and replay-ability to the games.

Outside of some optional areas, the only place I can think of like that in Dark Souls 3 is the cathedral. I don't understand how you COULDN'T be disappointed by that unless you've only played 1 other Souls game or something.
>>
>welcome to (x)souls, friend
>heres your estus and complimentary mediocre design
>See you next year, bring your wallets :)

From software actually does this and gets away with it
>>
>>336096014
This. Most areas in DS3 are actually completely non-linear by themselves, even more so than both previous games, but people ignore this fact simply because they want every individual area in the game to be connected to each other.

It's fucking autism. If that's the only part of world design that matters to you, you'd better off playing an open world game instead.
>>
>>336096476
I agree, but it has a kernel of truth in it. DS2 really is just a dot with a lot of lines shooting out of it
>>
File: f7ScNDV.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f7ScNDV.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>336096730
No, not really.
>>
>>336095946
Well I liked Dark souls because i had no idea what Was going on. The game only said kill these bosses and you win but didnt say where they were or how to get there.

Linear just feels like handholding in a game like this.
>>
>>336095254
maybe cuz your opinions shit
>>
>>336096843
Is there a Bloodborne version?
>>
>>336095254

I kind of enjoyed DS2 more.

Yea it was a single hub with spokes going out of it, but that's still more options than the single straight line with a few forks that DS3 was.
>>
>archdragon peak
>this looks like a cool area!
>5 hours of ptsd
just let it end bros
>>
File: jDYAhMdH2NjjrZHYub3Z7Gqh.png (501 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jDYAhMdH2NjjrZHYub3Z7Gqh.png
501 KB, 1280x720
>>336096982
>>
>>336097082
What's the deal with it, is the Ancient Wyvern fight or the part after that?
>>
I wouldn't call it boring because I definitely had fun for 30-ish hours. It just has less replayability this time around.
>>
>>336097269
DLC not included
>>
File: miles-crossed(c).gif (340 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
miles-crossed(c).gif
340 KB, 256x192
>>336095254
It's a bit annoying, but I have a bigger issue with some areas being insanely short while others (like Irithyll) are huge.

Also, weapon, armor and spell balance is wack.
>>
>>336095904
that chart's pretty bullshit though, if anything dark souls 2 has more branching paths than 3. With 3 you get to pick whether you do farron keep or cathedral of the deep first, then you get to pick whether you do Yhorm or Aldrich first, and then you have an optional path in Oceiros --> dark firelink --> archdragon you may or may not do. That's it, everything else is completely linear. in DS2 the first 2/3rds of the game are wide open, you can tackle the four great soul holders in whatever order you want, you can choose to go to forest of the fallen giants as your first are or skip it till the end of the game. Then you have some optional side areas in the Undead Colosseum, the two belfry areas, the doors of pharros and later on the three chasms of the abyss which you can skip or ignore.

I swear, people give Dark souls 2 way too much shit while glossing over dark souls 3's flaws way too much. The biggest problem with DS2's world design is that it's non-sensical. It does a much better job of giving you freedom to pick the order you want to do the areas in.
>>
>>336095873
>that doesn't have any proper explanation of why it is there.

The pontiff put it there so no one could come and kill him.
>>
>>336097550
Really, DS2's world design is fine apart from one stupid transition. I'm willing to accept the notion that the gaps between areas are longer than the actual passages between them, and once you deal with that you're really mostly just left with one mistake they made connecting areas.
>>
File: cookle.jpg (7 KB, 269x188) Image search: [Google]
cookle.jpg
7 KB, 269x188
> The bosses and weapon skills are the only things I really enjoyed about it.

>"The two main points of the game are the only things i really enjoyed"
>>
>>336095254
How would you fix it then?
>>
All video games are inherently linear to a degree.

but DS3 compared to previous souls games is pretty linear, despite the "optional" areas and stuff.

DS1 is a little bit more freeform but you don't actually make any progression unless you focus on your objectives. DS2 overall is quite non-linear though as you can just do one of the various paths if you're having difficulty on the other, or if you don't like doing a specific area you can opt to do something else for a while instead. see >>336096843

Also DS3 tries to "balance" the magic system but spells are far too weak without a stupidly massive amount of levels put in stats and also a treasure hunt for the specific items to make you strong enough, and even then it's just more effective to just use a straight sword and mash R1. The viable build variety is terrible.
>>
>>336097762
DaS2's problem wasn't just the world design, it was the level design and enemy encounters that were bad as well. DaS2 just throws a bunch of bland, short areas at you and tosses in a handful of minibosses that pose pretty much zero challenge with a few exceptions. The only thing it had going for it was the DLC areas and PVP.
>>
>>336098191
So DS2 is the best one then?
>>
File: 1433215297397.gif (43 KB, 560x582) Image search: [Google]
1433215297397.gif
43 KB, 560x582
>>336095254
well there are fallout 4 and skyrim for you boy
>>
>>336097550
THANK YOU
>>
New Game+ in Dark Souls 3 is terrible. Rather than trying to mix things up by throwing in red phantoms and extra boss souls like DS2 did, DS3 just has the occasional new +1 or +2 ring scattered around the world and I think there's also some new random loot souls that scale with a different quantity of sorts, but that's it. It's bland and horrible, since it's so linear.

Armor items are exactly the same too in ng+, rather than having upgraded versions of armor, it's all the exact same stuff that you can just throw at the handmaiden for extra souls
>>
>>336098191
What parts would you guys salvage from all three to create the best result?
>>
>>336098707
bloodborne
>>
>>336098339
Not overall, but it does try to do various things differently, which is what sequels should strive to do, whereas Dark Souls 3 doesn't try to do anything differently and just copies bits of previous games and makes excessive references.

Also for the third game in the trilogy it doesn't really explain anything or confirm much about the lore of the previous games and just adds more confusion to the pile. It just feels like a rushed cash in.
>>
>people are now starting to appreciate DaS2 more
haha
>>
>>336097550
>people are finally starting to listen to reason
>the long fight against the masses of /v/ and /dsg/ was not in vain
Brings a tear to my eye
>>
>>336095254
Hope you liked it. It's the "last" rendition of dark souls.
>>
>>336099119
Honestly, it's better to stop here then let it continue.
>>
>>336097874
if those were supposed to be the main points of the game then there definitely wasn't much of it
>>
>>336098707
High levels of interconnectivity between areas like in 1.
non-linearity in the first half, good additions to NG+ like in 2
Individual level design like certain bits of 3.

Gameplay should be slow like 1 and 2, as should build variety.
Armor should be upgradable.
Less pointless references for the sake of pandering. the Blacksmith should've been a completely new character and not just Andre.

Oh yeah, Blue Sentinels and the Darkmoon people should've been one covenant, and there should have been sinning, indicting and blue eye orbs for invading sinners.

I think a bonfire ascetic system for bosses might have been good. Or perhaps a special boss fight mode, where once you've killed a boss you can ask Ludleth to conjure a boss for you and your friends to fight in a ~magical arena~ or something. Obviously you'd want to balance it to stop people farming, but that could be good.

Speaking of magical arena, a proper pvp arena area might have been good, rather than just players hoboing for duels in the pontiff's back yard.
>>
It's a bit disappointing but not too bad. The individual areas at least have neat shortcuts in them. I was waiting for Cathedral of the Deep to take you back to a previous area but that's when I realized they weren't doing that anymore.
>>
File: image.png (107 KB, 540x521) Image search: [Google]
image.png
107 KB, 540x521
Honestly the worst issue with Ds3 isn't the linearity, it's the fact that they've destroyed pvp.
I spent the last couple weeks playing a pirated version of the game. I beat it 3 times start to finish with a different playstyle each time and really enjoyed it each time.
I picked up the game on steam today because I wanted to try out the online. What a fucking mess. Every single invasion is a 2v1 or 3v1 and I've yet to be invaded at all in my 10 hours of play.
The only joy I've pulled out of this shit online is killing the friendly adds in the Abyss Watchers fight.
How hard to I have to fight steam to get a refund?
>>
>>336100080
It's not hard to fight and get a refund at all. Although
>complaining about pvp
>>
>>336100080
>How hard to I have to fight steam to get a refund?
You'll just get an automatic "No" reply. It's not like Valve has people working in there.
>>
>>336097082
Run, anon, run.
>>
>>336100080
>pvp
lel
>>
>>336096918
>goes to catacomb area
>gets butt fucked by immortal skellies
>goes to new londo ruins
>gets butt fucked by immortal ghosts
I'd rather follow a linear path than have the game fuck me for wanting to go ring the bottom bell first
>>
>>336100327
>>336100528
This isn't pvp anymore.
This is one person with half the ability to heal vs two-three other people who have got together with the combined goal to waste another's persons time.
There is no alternative. That's it.
>>
>>336100532
You should just git gud instead of wanting something easier.
>>
>>336095813
Couldn't you have said that without using a meme?
>>
>>336100614
are you legit telling me that a player fresh out of asylum is supposed to go to those areas and achieve something rewarding and worthwhile?
>>
>>336100080
And thats not even getting into the broken covenants. Not once have I been summoned as Darkmoon or Sentinel in more than 30 hours of play with them active. But as soon as I enter an area protected by Alritch's Faithful I am immediately swarmed by 2+.
>>
File: 1452410921769.jpg (120 KB, 500x679) Image search: [Google]
1452410921769.jpg
120 KB, 500x679
>>336095254
I liked it.
>>
>>336100902
You can kill Pinwheel pretty easily as your first boss once you get used to the game.
>>
>>336097550
>>336098540
>>336098940
samefag
>>
>Poise does actual nothing, despite having a ring that boosts only it, as well as several weapon arts.
>Hyperarmor is affected by equipment load%
So the only reason to get vit is for fashion souls? Lmao
>>
>>336098884
Zelda syndrome
>>
Is this game playable without a controller? I tried DS1 and it fucking sucked in every possible way
>>
>>336101435
yeah my latvian friend played through it with a keyboard

he said it was mostly fine
>>
>>336100080
>>336100593
I've never summoned a phantom and I get invaded all the time. I've 1v1ed with red phantoms tons of times and they all sucked.
>>
>>336101159
and additional defense/absorption, which is fine in pve but kind of useless in pvp
>>
>>336101435
DS1&2 are garbage port but DS3 is actually playable with a keyboard and a mouse. There are a couple of annoying bugs but nothing major. It's really is playable. It only took them 3 fucking games.
>>
>>336101435
I played all the way to smough and ornstein totally blind on only a keyboard.
Anything is possible anon.
>>
>>336101796
It's not just useless.
It's completely horseshit.
It's -worse- for your hyperarmor to get more vit
>>
>>336099614

Yeah, i agree with mostly everything

Ds3 is WAY too "safe". It really seems they rehashed ds1 in bb engine (without even changing stuff like hollows wireframes and sizes) and sold It pandering to nostalgia.

Ds2 had It share of glaring flaws, but at least It tried to be Its own game, instead of references everywhere
>>
>>336102150

You might get some vit points if you are thinking about using heavy weapons and shields, you should always be under 70%
>>
>>336102150
It's not related to hyper armor at all, that's just weapon animations
>>
Fucking weapon balance.
Been trying UGS out at Boreal Valley. You can either dance with the Pontiff Knights, taking turns at hitting each other. Or you can just say fuck it, equip a straight sword and mash R1 them to death since the hitstun makes them unable to do anything.

Yes I mad.
>>
>>336102298
>>336102301
Nope nigga. Your hyperarmor frames are directly based on your equipment load%. At 99.9% you're way more likely to not get staggered by a bestoc R1 masher if you're using a UGS
>>
I actually hated the choice of boss option in DS2.
DS1 didn't really gave you much choice either since everything will force you to Anor Londo in order to progress.
>>
>>336100843
No
They call me the memeager
>>
>>336102526
nah it just affects rolls recovery
>>
yeah the bosses were a step up from DaS2 but I felt like the areas themselves were a step down.
As shitty as DaS2 was I actually have fond memories of some of the areas, not as much as DaS1 but there were parts to look forward to on NG+.

DaS3's areas are not fun or particularly interesting.
The starting High Wall, Lothric Castle, Grand Archives, Cathedral, the swamp, the catacombs they're all a chore.
I can't think of a single area in DaS3 I enjoyed.
>>
>>336095254
Agreed. Far too linear. I liked the way DS2 didi it, with four different ways out of a main hub, that all ended in lord souls. In DS3 we just got Legion in the middle of the path to the others - weird shit. Also, Irithyll dancer mobs are bullshit. In general, I dislike how all enemies hit hard, fast and have unlimited stamina. Greatswords are unplayable when all enemies are tuned for bloodborne combat.
>>
>>336095254
Maybe it's because that's your opinion and it's not everyone else's. Anyone ever tell you that some people think differently?
>>
>>336097550
This is exactly what happened when dks2 came out. When dark souls 4: old old old kings n shit comes out people will start hating on dks3
>>
The profaned capital doesn't is pretty much a pathway to Yhorm.
>>
>>336095254
The linearity wasn't as big of a problem here because you still get lost in intricately designed and immersive levels.
>>
>>336095350
DS2 was linear? it was a hub you could get the great souls in any order
>>
>>336095904
yeah this gives way too much credit to DS3. if you're going to put every little side path on the chart, DS2 would look way more complicated (the diagram is even missing major paths) and DS1 would be off the fuckin chart
>>
>>336096072
Dark Souls 2 was trashed within the first week of it being out on Pc.
>>
>>336097550
That chart is literally reflecting exactly fucking that.
DS1 has great interconnection, multiple "later" zones loop back into first ones and you have great aount of options on how to travel to here or there.
DS2 always has a path to choose, but they're almost absolutely not interconnected in any way, and only lead to their respective destination and that's it. The paths themselves have barely anything to explore in them too.
DS3 has ultimately one major path that splits late into the game, but the path itself has big, sprawling locations, with a lot of nooks and crannies, pretty great amount of loopbacks and shortcuts.
>>
>>336100532
but.. the bottom bell is in blight town, not new londo or the catacombs
>>
>>336099614
>Armor should be upgradable
Why? Shit is just a titanite sink with no real purpose.
>>
I just got a couple crystal gems for my INT-character. Got any recommendations for using them?

I've been using these weapons so far:
Crystal Dark Sword
Raw Longsword
Fire Estoc
MLGS
and Immolation Tinder

Maybe Reinforced Club works well?
>>
>>336095564
Its not.
Newfags have just been spammed the "open world" buzzword so long they think it's standard for every video game.
And DS3 is still not completely linear.
>>
File: 1403772601105.gif (403 KB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
1403772601105.gif
403 KB, 360x640
It's fine honestly. Of course it was great to be able to get stuff out of New Londo early on but with how much of a fucking disaster DaS II was I'm just glad we got a game that's only a bit worse than Bloodborne.
>>
>>336095350
DKS2 was the least linear game in the series though
>>
>>336107851
It was also the worst game in the series.
>>
>>336095652
>Because all the previous souls game were known for having multiple path you can take to progress through the game.

yes, I also enjoyed when I managed to finish anor londo before sen's fortress
or tomb of giant before getting the pot
>>
>>336107934
why is it so bad?
>>
>>336101014
Aldritch happens to be the only place in the game worth doing pvp at. You'll also find all the fight clubs there.
>>
>>336108065
ah yes, the only linear part of the game
>>
>>336108065
>multiple paths mean that you can do any level at any point you want
>>
>>336108397
fuck you some invisible guy invaded me in that place hit me with a sword and for some reason i gained like 1 million souls then he d/ced and i got soft banned. fuck pvp in dark souls 3 its more hacker prone than 1
>>
>>336101942
I beat the whole game nearly blind with only a keyboard (Because the game didn't make the waterway obvious enough for my dumb ass so I pissed about in new londo instead of finding the dumb thing that your back is turned towards when you spawn in).
It's not hard, just clunky as shit.
>>
>>336096181
You could actually.Not in DS 1 or DS 2 scale but you can see Drangleic Castle from Cardinal Tower and Majula.You can see those Roman water carriage walls from Majula that are located in Shaded Woods.You can see Heidi from Majula and vice versa.
>>
>>336111213
Were you featured in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVOzdyDtWo
>>
>>336095254
How could anyone? It's the new Assassins Creed. They think because Dark Souls 1 was a hit FROMSOFT are the gods of this planet.

It just showshow pathetic this new age of players are. Dark Souls 3 was the easiest of all DS games. Sure here and there it had some good bosses, but overall it's way worse than DS1. The worst thing is it didn't improve a single thing. The weapons are copy+paste with different skins. Even their high praised Sword-Art are copypasta on most weapons.

Lore wise DS never made any real sense but since vaati appeared people are trying to force their fanfiction. Well if you are that autistic pretend like DS3 is a sequel or whatever, a fact is that DS has an awful story. Nothing wrong with that Dark Souls was a top notch title gameplay wise.

Dark Souls 3 is the coffin in the nail, low quality copypasta on the Bloodborne engine with rehashed sounds, weapons, bosses, textures. Does it ring? It's no difference to Asscreed or other newage AAA.
You don't need to make a good game to sell it, you only need a big marketing budget and plenty of ads. In the next time we can see this with Uncharted 4. It will be the most selled PS title in the last 10 years, mark my words.
>>
>>336113652
*sold sorry for my english im a nigger
>>
>>336095254
The only souls game that doesn't feel linear is DaS1.

Because no teleportation from the start also means you have to travel the world by yourself and each bonfire is more of a camp than a bonfire really, it's your reference point until you find a new one, you're constantly on the move with no idea of what's coming next and sometimes no idea of where you even are.
>>
>>336095254
I like it more the way it is. The area's in itself are open enough to encourage exploring and but you have some kind of progress so you don't get overwhelmed by enemies. The game scales with you like it was in Bloodborne.
>>
>>336108065
Then the game went to shit after O&S anyway.
>>
>>336107851
>DS2
> least linear
>>
>>336098552
I did painter before bort in ng+, beelined to the champ, was pretty fun. Armor that mattered would be nice though...
>>
>>336113707
Drunk or foreign? Your english is pretty good regardless
>>
>>336095254
>weapon skills
You mean spamming straight sword?
Ya, that's quite "interesting" isn't it.
Gameplay is disgustingly bad desu.
>>
>>336116602
foreign

Thanks mate
>>
Dark Souls 3 is less linear and more not interconnected like Dark Souls 1.

The world is essentially a line from Lothric's castle to Anor Londo, but you can do quite a lot of it out of order. But those areas don't ever loop around.

I think this is fine, the game is a road trip across the Boreal Valley looking for the runaway lords, it's not like Dark Souls where the whole map is essentially crammed into the same mountain.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.