[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your opinion on Chrono Trigger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: Chrono Stigger.png (346 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Stigger.png
346 KB, 4096x3584
Your opinion on Chrono Trigger
>>
The only game on the SNES about the apocalypse that's not The Illusion of Gaia.
>>
Solid but highly overrated.
>>
best game ever, the game i will always cherish as my childhood game
>>
Amazing game in every way, a timeless classic.
>>
Comically dogged, but a fantastic game by an allstar team of developers.
>>
Extraordinarily comfy
>>
>>336091587
>FFVI
>>
>>336091715
Yeah I thought about that, but it's more about the end of the world as Locke and Trra know it, not literally the end of the world.

And Act Raiser isn't even applicable.
>>
Better than memebound.
>>
File: schala_by_flangeloni-d3edqja.jpg (77 KB, 1128x709) Image search: [Google]
schala_by_flangeloni-d3edqja.jpg
77 KB, 1128x709
Every single person that works on any jrpg should have to play through this at least once to get all the things this game did right, even if they don't plan on using them in their own works.
>>
>>336091508

It's the best RPG ever made. Even the most satisfying to play too. After playing it, no other turn based RPG can come close.
>>
a literal flawless game that realizes all the potential in its chosen medium
>>
Alright game but Cross is better
>>
>>336091587
Shin Megami Tensei, retard.
>>
File: d8f.jpg (37 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
d8f.jpg
37 KB, 520x520
its the triggerest of chronos

(it doesnt trigger me, but it amazes me this image exists)
>>
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork9.jpg (159 KB, 750x470) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork9.jpg
159 KB, 750x470
>>336091508
Best SNES RPG and one of the best RPGs of any platform of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXPAiThQiM
>>
File: 52418859_p0.jpg (3 MB, 2507x3541) Image search: [Google]
52418859_p0.jpg
3 MB, 2507x3541
An ok game, but it's incredibly overrated by babbies

Metal Max 2 is objectively better
>>
>>336091508

If they're smart they would make a cellshaded HD remake of this changing absolutely nothing in the story and battles and it would be GOTY instantly.

But the last 3 years have shown me that japs are absolutely dumb shits and can't even market their own IPs properly. How many good franchises are being sat on by squareenix and capcom?
>>
>>336091721
Cross had better music and combat than Trigger. Everything else was bad and the 100 playable characters certainly didnt help.
>>
Chrono trigger<snes final fantasy
>>
Style over substance all the way.
>>
>>336091508
A timeless classic. DS version is the definitive version
>>
A true classic. It's easily among my favorites, if not my top pick. Would recommend to anyone any time of the day.

I hope I Am Setsuna doesn't disappoint, I'm really excited about it
>>
>>336091508
Pretty good classic JRPG. It's much better than most of its contemporary JRPGs(let's say 1994-1996) but it's also a lot worse than the good JRPGs from around 1990-1993.
>>
>>336092392
Both soundtracks were good for the tone they set. Trigger was great in the heroic and battle tracks, Cross was great at the atmospheric, emotional and comfy tracks.

A shame that Cross' battle system was such a mess though.
>>
File: Schala_snow.jpg (70 KB, 476x676) Image search: [Google]
Schala_snow.jpg
70 KB, 476x676
>>336092118
God DAMN
>>
>>336091508
If only you had posted Phantasy Star II, we could've had a cool thread.
>>
7.5/10
Good game but overrated as all fuck

Cross is a 9.5/10
>>
Overrated game, Terranigma is better.
>>
chrono snore
>>
File: IMG_4672.jpg (412 KB, 1000x1074) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4672.jpg
412 KB, 1000x1074
Without a doubt one of the ever standing pillars, from what can still be called the golden age of JRPGs and 16-bit gaming in general.

Rented it right after it came out, middle school friends weren't sure it could stand alongside already beloved FF II/III (NA) on SNES. Worked my ass of to save money and buy it for like 79.99$ at an EB.

My crazy ass friend ate the receipt the next day for some reason.
>>
>>336091508
I want to make my own, superior copy of the soundtrack, using the original MIDI, and original SNES sound samples.
>>
>>336092118
The thumbnail looked like Majula to me
>>
>>336091508
one of the absolute best RPGs released on the SNES, the others bein FF4, FF6, Secret of Mana, Mario RPG, and Earthbound.
>>
>>336091945
>>336093049
>>336093153
>>336093745
(You)

>>336092392
Only the OST was good and it still wasn't better than Trigger.
>>
>>336091508
They should do a remake in the next gen, 2020 something.
>>
>>336091587
Terranigma.
>>
>>336091508
Great game, though somewhat overrated.
>>
>>336094070
T.conquered
>>
Good game, but overrated beyond belief.
>>
>>336094694
>overrated
Nice meme criticism
>>
>>336091508
FF6 is better in almost every way.

Still an amazing game though.
>>
>>336094694
t. hipster
>>
>>336094612
Yeah I forgot.
>>
>>336091801
why do so many people on /v/ have a poor opinion of earthbound? that was one of my favorite games as a kid.

has it just not aged well?
>>
>>336096238
>Thinking games age

Haha
>>
>>336091508
Genre defining, a masterpiece of its time.

Unfortunately, there was no solid followup and now we're past the point of pixel RPGs being relevant.
>>
>>336096238

It's a great game, but a lot of its appeal come from being somewhere between goofy, strange, and even avant-garde, something like (forgive the wording) a legit deep and cult-hit type of film might be.

Thing is, that led to it having a fanbase of the sort that can be obnoxious, and one that can hail it as greatest this or that while not giving much attention or credit to its many peers.
>>
Didn't like it. I know people will go ''xdd nice bait! memememememe'' whenever someone doesn't praise this game as the 11/10 GOTYAY, but here goes.

Mute protagonists in games like these is a terrible idea. I wasn't able to give a single fuck about Crono (or almost anyone else for that matter). None of the protagonists ever talked to each other, you never found out how they felt about things. No reactions. 90% of the game is just the bad guys having a monologue and then you kill them. That or you just kill them with no text at all and move on. You never learn to know anyone.

Combat was a nice idea but terribly executed. Most attacks that mattered were either single target or affected everyone regardless of positioning. Rarely got to do anything fun with the positioning system.

Music and world is cool, I like the way they did the time travel. Character concepts were great, just wish they would've been more fleshed out.

Overall, it's a mediocre game. Sure it was great for its time, but honestly it's just not that good of a game in the end.
>>
>>336096238
Do you mean you played it when it was new?
Then congratulations, you liked it before it was cool. Now throw it on the fire next to MST3K and a dozen other 90's relics tainted by shitty fanbases.
>>
>>336096961
b8
>>
>>336097131
I was expecting this. Everyone on /v/ just parrots how it's a perfect masterpiece with no flaws, never actually saying why. If anyone has anything bad to say, it's automatically seen as bait. Never seen a well written response as to why people think it's a perfect game.
>>
>>336092442
hahahaha no
>>
>>336092346
>cellshaded HD remake
>cellshaded
disgusting

I would rather have it animated in cel animation like Cuphead
>>
File: 24112415125153.jpg (49 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
24112415125153.jpg
49 KB, 720x540
>>336097076
>Allowing a fanbase to taint your appreciation of games

This is the most beta shit I will ever see in my life.
>>
>>336097449

poor benoit
>>
>>336097348
Or just an HD remake. 2D is timeless; once it leaves the console it can only be degraded.
>>
>>336091508

It's the GOAT. Has been for years and likely always will be.
>>
Casual game for babies first exploration.
>>
>>336096961
>Mute protagonists in games like these is a terrible idea.
Get the fuck out you faggot
Silent Protagonist is a great thing in a Role-Playing Game...cuz you know...IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE PLAYING A ROLE YOU DIPSHIT
>>
>>336093758
>Secret of Mana 2 in 1996
YOU HAD ONE JOB, SQUARESOFT.
>>
>>336097664
This only works if the game is in first person and/or you're given actual choices that affect the story. Chrono Trigger had neither (besides letting you decide when to fight the final boss). I didn't feel like I was in any role, considering I could very much see Crono at all times, and he had a ''personality'' through expressions.
>>
>>336097482
>Or just an HD remake. 2D is timeless
What the hell do you even mean by that?
If you mean something like Rayman Origins then no thanks to that Flash Shit

Or do you mean and HD Remaster/Port with Widescreen and shit like the Sonic CD Remaster a few years back?

Keep in mind I don't think Chrono Trigger needs a remake at all cuz it still looks fantastic(especially on a CRT where these low res games truly shine)
>>
>>336096961
I respectfully disagree.

I get your point about characters not being fleshed out though. Magus was the only character I felt like I knew anything about, and I only knew shit about him because he was an antagonist .
>>
>>336097449
How can context taint someone's appreciation? You're the one who seems to have those linked.

Also, how do you know exactly how I appreciate Earthbound? Maybe I think it's GOAT, doesn't mean I have to forgive autists for making it weird; if anything that would make me more pissed at them.
>>
>>336093758
is this shit real or just a fake document
>>
I really enjoyed it but didn't get around to playing it last year despite all the praise it gets. I can understand why it's so popular but as somebody who didn't have a nostalgia factor playing it I don't exactly see why some consider it one of the best games ever made. 8/10 in my opinion. Frog was one of the coolest dudes ever though.
>>
>>336098039
Until last year*
>>
>>336097929
>This only works if the game is in first person
You're wrong

And I have no idea why people like playable characters that talk in RPG's and I never will

It feels like the characters are making the story unfold and not the player(me) which annoys the fuck out of me and always takes me out of the game
>>
One of the most coherent JRPGS. Mechanically one of the best of its genre. Great music. Looks nice. The story works.

But even though I recognize these and love JRPGS things I still don't really like CT. Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>336095103

I think in terms of gameplay, Chrono Trigger is more fun, but I feel like 6 nails the cinematic experience (as cinematic as a SNES RPG can be) a lot better. 6 has a lot of customization, but a lot of that customization was unnecessary at the end of the day for actually beating the game and a lot of is overwhelming and can be time consuming, while Chrono Trigger's simplicity makes for a smoother ride.
>>
>>336091661
this right here desu.
>>
>>336096961
>>336097239
>Mute protagonists in games like these is a terrible idea. I wasn't able to give a single fuck about Crono
I don't give a single fuck about some stupid fucking naive kid who won't shut the fuck up, like in other JRPGs. Sometimes, the less said by the protagonist, the better. The more I can identify as the protagonist instead of a puppetmaster moving a plot forward, the better, in my opinion.

>None of the protagonists ever talked to each other, you never found out how they felt about things. No reactions.
The game isn't about them, it's about the events that take place and the adventure they go on together. The game revolves around time travel spanning several eras, which is MUCH larger than "how they feel about things". The primary cast are also just kids who are mostly wrapped up in acting on impulses instead of stopping to talk about their feelings. For once in a JRPG, they kinda act their age.

>90% of the game is just the bad guys having a monologue and then you kill them. That or you just kill them with no text at all and move on. You never learn to know anyone.
Magus joins your fucking party and you find out where he came from, why he was doing what he was doing in 600AD, and how he and his family are connected to everything. I guess that's the 10%, but c'mon.
>>
>>336098220
To each their own, I suppose. I don't see how just the protagonist being mute while still being able to see him and his expressions changes things so dramatically for you, but guess that's something I won't understand.
>>
>>336098253
Not enjoying something =/= not appreciating it. That's the difference between shitposting and constructive criticism.
>>
>>336098220
>Link: …
>NPC: Yes, yes, i'm glad you think so.
>>
>>336098340
Chrono Trigger is actually more complex than FF6
In FF6 every character is practically the same in combat

In CT depending on your party the character will play different roles and you will have to adapt so it makes the player think
>>
>>336098553
I don't get your point
>>
>>336098456
>I don't give a single fuck about some stupid fucking naive kid who won't shut the fuck up, like in other JRPGs.

Either you're terribly generalizing or you've played very few JRPGs. Unless the only JRPGs you've played are Final Fantasy and the Tales series, I don't know how you think every JRPG is like that. To me it seems like you hate the entire genre.

>The game isn't about them, it's about the events that take place and the adventure they go on together. The game revolves around time travel spanning several eras, which is MUCH larger than "how they feel about things".

The characters are still important. It feels unnatural for no one to ever talk. The game feels completely lifeless and shallow, like something made in RPG maker. How can I relate to anything that happens, how can I care about anything when I'm told so little? The entire main party feels completely out of place.

>For once in a JRPG, they kinda act their age.

Please, go play more JRPGs before you say things like these. Try Xenogears or something.

>Magus joins your fucking party and you find out where he came from, why he was doing what he was doing in 600AD, and how he and his family are connected to everything. I guess that's the 10%, but c'mon.

We know a lot about Magus because he was a villain/boss at first. We learn plenty about the antagonists, but nothing about the protagonists. Even then, that only tells us a few key details about him and that's it. None of the characters get fleshed out (besides Frog).
>>
>>336098461
Because most players tend to sub--consciously think they're the character since they're controlling the character the whole time?

A few small visual reactions here and there doesn't detract from the immersion

Though I should not the Silent Protagonist only really work on games with no voice acting
>>
>>336098910
>It feels unnatural for no one to ever talk.
No it doesn't
>>
>>336098910
>Try Xenogears or something.
>Try overly melodramatic animu the game
Hahahahhahahahhahaha
>>
>>336098951
I suppose I view games very differently then. Never understood all that. I view story-heavy games more as interactive books or movies of sorts. I love learning more about the characters, seeing them interact and develop. Never been a fan of pretending I'm a game character.

>>336099014

You don't think it's unnatural for a group of people to go through entire dungeons, fighting bosses, listening to long monologues by the antagonists without uttering a single word to each other? Just silently going forward without talking is normal to you?
>>
>>336099160
Sure showed me with that green text, anon. Xenogears isn't for everyone, but it's certainly different from that was said about ''every JRPG'' in the post I replied to.
>>
>>336099193
>You don't think it's unnatural for a group of people to go through entire dungeons, fighting bosses, listening to long monologues by the antagonists without uttering a single word to each other? Just silently going forward without talking is normal to you?

Lots of things in games are different than life. Why not bother yourself at the fact that they rarely eat, sleep, or use the can?
>>
>>336099405
I don't think those can be compared to people talking to each other. Clearly everyone else was talking to each other. Antagonists went on long monologues. What makes the player's party so different? Why are they the only ones never talking?

And you know very well the reason for not going to the toilet/eating is since it would just be tedious in a video game. Sleeping isn't too rare in video games though, I don't think.
Still, I don't think those can be compared to talking and dialogue.
>>
>>336099193
You don't get it at all

You're supposed to fantasize that it's you and a couple of your own friends who are going in these adventures

Talking characters completely ruin this
>>
>>336099810
I don't think there's any one way someone's ''supposed'' to play games. But I suppose that might be the only way to enjoy this specific game.
>>
Loved it. I didn't really ever go for all the different endings, but there were some feels in that game. Music was beautiful too.
Still hate that fucking trial because they were right. I was guilty as fuck.
>>
>>336099943
You ultimately think of it as a game

Think about these characters the same way you would think about Tabletop RPG Figures

They're just figures for you to self-insert to
>>
>>336098910
>Either you're terribly generalizing or...
...or I'm giving a counterexample to a mute protagonist? I would rather play a mute protagonist than some asswipe. End of point.

>The characters are still important.
They are secondary to the adventure, that's the point. They aren't lifeless or shallow to me anyway; CT's cast is lovable, highly memorable, and their personalities are clearly defined, from my experience of the game.

>How can I relate to anything that happens, how can I care about anything when I'm told so little?
The game has snappy pacing (something like 20 hours length IIRC) to encourage repeat playthroughs to discover alternate endings fitting with the time travel theme.

Personally, I relate to what happens in CT because I'm acting on it. It's a videogame, not a book. The purpose of a story in a videogame is to lend context to gameplay, not the other way around.

>Please, go play more JRPGs before you say things like these. Try Xenogears or something.
Fuck you, as if it invalidates the fact that I'm lifelong fan of JRPGs just because I take a jab at them. And what in the flying fuck are you talking about? I love the writing in Xenogears, but "kids acting their age" is so far removed from it that I can't even believe you've played the game.
>>
>>336091508
Charming, accessible, memorable. In a lot of ways probably the best introduction to turn based JRPGs one can find. I value the time I spent playing this game as a teen very much. Classic.
>>
>>336091508
10/10

very few games deserve this score as much as CT does
>>
>>336091508
combat system is simple and lacks good customization, and variety. otherwise the atmosphere and story is perfect, and, fun fact it changes between music tracks more than any jrpg ever made, which is what makes every moment so strong.
>>
The hipster in me wants to call Chrono Trigger overrated, but I honestly can't. It's one of those rare games that deserves all the praise it gets. Love it, and always will.
>>
>>336091661
this and ff6 were my childhood. it will always have a place on my shelf
>>
>>336100170
>...or I'm giving a counterexample to a mute protagonist? I would rather play a mute protagonist than some asswipe. End of point.

That's a terribly black and white view. You make it sound like those are the only two options available. Not every talking protagonist is an ''asswipe''.

>They are secondary to the adventure, that's the point. They aren't lifeless or shallow to me anyway; CT's cast is lovable, highly memorable, and their personalities are clearly defined, from my experience of the game.

Secondary is fine, but in CT they aren't even that. They're given close to nothing. I played the game last year and I can't remember anything about any of them besides Robo and Frog. I know about them but I don't know actually know them. Very little personality is given to them besides 1-2 characteristics each.

>The game has snappy pacing

Adding a little bit of dialogue every here and there wouldn't add much to the length.

>Personally, I relate to what happens in CT because I'm acting on it. It's a videogame, not a book.

I feel like games can do much more than just be glorified D&D with graphics to look at. And the purpose of a story in a video game varies greatly. Not every game follows the same priority. Even then, focusing so much on gameplay in an RPG seems silly.

>Fuck you, as if it invalidates the fact that I'm lifelong fan of JRPGs just because I take a jab at them.

I don't think generalizing an entire genre in a way that makes you sound like you know nothing about them is a good ''jab''.

>I love the writing in Xenogears, but "kids acting their age" is so far removed from it that I can't even believe you've played the game.

Guess we had very different experiences with Xenogears then. Thanks for the mature insult, but the way. Helps your case a lot.
>>
>>336100398
>and, fun fact it changes between music tracks more than any jrpg ever made
Eh I don't know about that,Breath of Fire had 2 battle themes
>>
>>336100870
>I feel like games can do much more than just be glorified D&D with graphics to look at.
You're retarded
Vidya RPG's still aren't anywhere D&D Simulation

What you want is a movie not a game
>>
>>336101072
I'm not talking about RPGs in general, I'm talking about how I perceive your view of Chrono Trigger and what makes it great to you. It just sounds like a glorified D&D.

And no, I don't want a movie. I love the interaction, exploring, being able to do things at my own pace. However I also want characters to learn about. I can't bring myself to care if the characters never interact in a game with such a diverse and big cast. However I'm going in circles now. Suppose we'll always see video games differently.

Video games can do so much that other mediums can't (look at the way Half-Life tells its story and lets you learn about what's happening, it's brilliant). I don't think Chrono Trigger utilizes the fact that it's a video game very well.
>>
>>336100870
>glorified DnD
I've yet to play a vidya game with even remotely close to the kind of RPG freedom that DnD(or any pen and paper game really) has and that includes the DnD based vidya games.
>>
>>336101430
Sadly I don't think such freedom will ever be possible in video games.
>>
>>336101592
You could theoretically make an online tabletop rpg though that would be redundant

Ironically MMO's are probably the closest thing(yet so far away)
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.