[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can somebody explain to me the bs blizzard pulled with standard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: hearthstone1.jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hearthstone1.jpg
394 KB, 1920x1080
Can somebody explain to me the bs blizzard pulled with standard and wild? Every two years now each expansion will not be playable in standard, but how does that work in the long-run? They only have so much lore and ideas they can pull before it becomes samey and exhausted.

And if they revert back to old expansions we will just see the same shit aggro and secret paladin decks again

Why not just fucking balance the old cards or fundamentally change them so they aren't so fucking OP anymore?
>>
They're already introducing concepts independent of WoW. Most of the major characters featured in League of Explorers are not based on WoW. That's the direction they're going in.

As for running out of just plain ideas, well, Magic has been going on for decades.
>>
On theory, the WoW lore is so huge they have enough for content for the next 10 years.

But they seemed pretty uncreative this expansion. I believe they are afraid of another broken expansion like GvG, so they are playing safe, but it results in boring expansions.
>>
>>336052469
By creating Standard format and disallowing older cards, they actually create design space for themselves that you just can't make otherwise. There comes a point in every card games life where there's simply no way to introduce new cards that don't break the format/ render old, valuable cards obsolete/ are way too wordy and strange for your average player to want to run.
>>
>>336052715
>I believe they are afraid of another broken expansion like GvG

but why not just fix what you created? I really don't understand this "make an expansion in 2 years it's no longer available" shit
>>
>>336052873
Don't all cards game do that anyway, what's there for you to not get?
>>
>>336052949
why not work with what you got? I like diversity, I don't want to stick with one or two expansions for years only to have it not be viable anymore
>>
I wish they also added a T'Chul-less mode
>>
>>336052873
That's the standard for how all card games work, didn't you know anon?

It's a card game before being a video game
>>
>hearthstone
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>336053232
>why not work with what you got?
Because they want to make new shit and design-wise it is a more streamlined process to be able to design new shit without worrying about its interactions with extremely old shit that was made without regards for the new shit.

It's a crude but simple way to avoid power creep.
>>
>>336053464
they can still make new shit, just nerf the decks that are so overly OP and boring

You don't need to make every new expansion by thinking how to counter the old one. Streamlining is fucking boring
>>
>>336052469
Every card game cycles out a standard formant, this isn't exclusive to HS.

Aside from the obvious benefit that continued card sales get from a standard format, having sets that cycle in and out allows designers to continually introduce new cards and change the way the game is played. If you look at Modern format in Magic, which is Magic's "Wild" format for example, it's largely the same decks used over and over. Standard, meanwhile, usually focuses on mechanics introduced in each new set and is a lot more fluid.

Also, by cycling out cards EVERYONE used keeps things fresh as well.

Yu-Gi-Oh does this too.
>>
>>336052873
>>336053232
Because powercreep, also variation.

Nex expansions will come out and people won't play the new cards because the old ones are too OP.

OR, all the new cards have to be really OP to make people play them and get variation.

Formats are necessary to keep the game alive.
>>
to keep the game relevant and to get people to buy more than 2-3 expansions
>>
>>336052873
You can't keep a card game interesting while still adding new content too it year after year without eventually just making it significantly better than the older cards. People need an incentive to buy the new shit, and eventually you're just going to fucking run out of ideas for cards that are competitively viable without being overbearing.

If you want to see what an unchecked meta looks like after a decade of incubation imposed by a greedy publisher just go look at the absolute shit show yugioh has become.
>>
>>336052469
Standard rotation accomplishes two things:

>metagame evolves as old mainstay cards rotate out
>new players aren't overwhelmed by an abundance of cards
>makes new expansions more desirable to buy

If none of this sounds like something you want, maybe you need to consider that you're not Blizzard's target audience.
>>
>>336053642
>they can still make new shit, just nerf the decks that are so overly OP and boring
And then what? Next year they'll rework the past three years of old cards? Two years later they'll rework the past four years of old cards?

No. This is easy and simple.
>>
>>336054294
But that's three things.
>>
>>336054328
There will never not be OP decks, streamlining wont help it. People will find out if they haven't already because hearthstone is so simple

All you're doing is taking away diversity from the game

>>336054294
just changing decks isn't "evolving", you just play by blizzard's new rules in their current theme
>>
>Why not just fucking balance the old cards or fundememtally change them so they arent so fucking OP anymore?

If you just kept adding more and more cards, you're fucking over potential new players.

Splitting games into Standard/Wild keeps both new players and old players relevant.

Not sure what youre mad about OP
>>
>>336052949
but that is why people abandon those card games, it doesn't have to be like that with Hearthstone
>>
>>336053396
>>336052949
>Cardgames has always been shit, therefore they should stay shit
>>
>>336055219
Because it would be cool to see the synergy between different cards from a variety of expansions. Now I'm never going to find out because I won't waste my time with wild.

If at worst some card is absolutely broken they could remove that alone. I don't see how more cards fucks over new players, if there is something to aspire to people will work for it. For it to be "overwhelming" to new players it really has to be a big number of cards, everyone just googles builds anyway
>>
it's pretty much the same as magic now except shittier

just get Magic Duels

I just finished the "story" duels and it took a bit of time and it's free.
>>
>>336055387
MtG has been going strong for over 10 years.
>>
>>336055219
Wild is going to get fucked up eventually. Actually, I would like to claim it already is.

>giving old players an unbalanced game mode means we still care about them
No. Just no.
>>
>>336055627
Yes, because of a few hardcore players that keeps funding everything. Everyone else buys like a new set, plays it - then finds out it becomes unbalanced combined with other sets and stops playing
>>
>>336055627
Let's be honest, all those other card games are niche
>>
>>336053667
>Yu-Gi-Oh does this too.
It doesn't, they just let a few decks run rampant for a few months before limiting or banning key cards to cripple the decks. And no one plays Traditional format either because it's even more of a broken mess than the regular format.
>>
>>336055387
I believe MTG has been having record sales every year for a while now. A lot of it has to do with an overall boom in board gaming
>>
OP.

Just play fucking wild and stop bitching.
>>
>>336053232
>I don't want to stick with one or two expansions for years only to have it not be viable anymore

Which is why you have wild mode where you can use all your cards.
>>
>>336055627
>over 10

You mean over 20
>>
>>336052469
>They only have so much lore and ideas they can pull before it becomes samey and exhausted

MTG has been going for 20+ years without this happening so I think they'll manage.
>>
>shaman is a bad class that nobody plays what could we do to make it more played?
>should we reinvent overload or put more good overload cards?
>should we go into pure spellcasting?

Nah just give him 2 4 mana 7/7 cards
>>
>>336056009
Well, MtG has infinite universes to pull from.
>>
The fun in this game comes from building decks and trying to predict what you're opponent is doing and playing the right card at the right time. If they're just going to remove deckbuilding in favor "here, play this because this our current theme park this year" then it will definitely die
>>
>>336055576
Because for a new player seeing 600 cards and figuring how they interact and how you should build your deck is fucking overwhelming and will ensure that a huge amount of players will leave the game.
>>
>>336056009
I would say the same for hearthstone if warcraft and world of warcraft didn't already exist. We sorta know the limits of warcraft already. They can make non-canon cards if they want, but they can't go overboard here otherwise it stops being "warcraft"
>>
>>336056084
and yet Wizards decide to stick to the ones they already know. how many times we will have to visit and re visit Zendikar, Ravnica or Innistrad before explore a new plane?
>>
>>336056330
whats that, new new phyrexia?
>>
>>336056178
Because that's exactly what happened to MtG, right?

Man it's so easy to tell who's first TCG is Hearthstone.

>>336056330
Kamigawa please.
>>
>>336056248
It's not like it's obvious even now, it never was.
>>
>>336056403
and that's an unsolved theme also. maybe after eldritch moon they might decide to finish any of the unconcluded storylines of any old planes.
>>
>>336056526
Well, a pool is easier dive to the bottom of compared to the middle of the Atlantic.
>>
>>336055763
>Yes, because of a few hardcore players that keeps funding everything.

sorta right. Part of the current growth has been that a lot of previous players have gotten back into the game now that they have more income as they have gotten older. Meanwhile the steady stream of new kitchen table and edh players has been growing steadily.

The majority of MTG players don't really play at the level where unbalanced combinations really matter, they are like I said EDH or kitchen table players who sometimes attend FNM.

This is my nice way of saying they are shit at the game and only have pet decks that they update with random cards every couple months when a new set peaks their interest. This people aren't really hardcore players but do keep a deck among their other games.
>>
>>336056754
Then there's losers like me who has MtG cards worth $30,000 and plays 2-3 times a week.
>>
File: 6d9fe616a579b6d350d106fa8cf82684.png (1022 KB, 855x1000) Image search: [Google]
6d9fe616a579b6d350d106fa8cf82684.png
1022 KB, 855x1000
>>336053232

By keeping a format with certain cards that they can more clearly control balance. People WILL discover the most fucking broken combos no matter how far apart sets are. Just go watch some people play competitive Modern, Eternal or Commander in Magic where someone plays Combo.

>Person plays a card printed this year
>Then a card from like 2010
>Then a card from 1998
>This creates an infinite loop where once it starts everyone else at the table is fucked.

Also, by rotating cards out it ensures people have to keep getting NEW cards. Capitalism ho and all that.
>>
>>336052469
Happens in every CCG

The reason is that if they didn't do that eventually (and it did already happen on HS) you get to a point were the only way you can introduce new *playable* cards is simply to outright upgrade existing cards OR do mass nerfs/buffs (which no one really likes and HS already does enough of those)
>>
>>336052469
>Its a "I have never played any type of card game before hearthstone" post

This type of thing is very common in other card games.
>>
Rotating cards is good. What Blizzard did wrong with the Old God expansion is every single deck is based around C'thun because the cards are just so overpowered. Hopefully they will not do that in the future.
>>
>>336059705
>every single deck is based around C'thun because the cards are just so overpowered.
That's just not true
>>
>>336060870
OK, let me rephrase.

Every single deck worth playing is based around C'thun because the cards are just so overpowered.
>>
>>336062159
That's not true either.
Aggro/evolve, divine shield, zoo and other gimmicks are far up
>>
>>336062315
Not that guy, but he's right:
>Aggro/evolve/divine shield/zoo
Plan is to kill c'thun decks before they go off.
>Miracle Rogue
Kind of the same, except with board control and face OTK
>Patron
Denies C'thun.

Meta is all around C'thun, be it directly or indirectly. This has been the all-round worst week of Hearthstone in my opinion.
>>
>>336062795
Oh I'm retarded
I thought he meant having to play a C'thun deck yourself
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.