[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christianity in Dark Souls 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15
File: screenshot-849-png.png (384 KB, 600x780) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-849-png.png
384 KB, 600x780
Daily reminder that Dark Souls 3, at least the storyline involving Lothric is heavily inspired by Johns Revelation's most famous part, opening of the seals, similar to how Bloodborne is inspired by Lovecraft.

Let's have a look.

>Every mountain and island is moved out of place (6:14)

Just like cities and whole lands are moved out of place and appear elsewhere, like Lothric or Carthus.

>"Under the altar," appeared the souls of martyrs for the "word of God," who cry out for vengeance. They are given white robes and told to rest until the martyrdom of their brothers is completed. (6:9-11)

Under the altar (shrine, firelink shrine), appear the souls of martyrs (because they burn themselves to save the known world), they are told to rest (on the thrones), until all of them have linked the fire.

In Dark Souls 3, lords don't wait on the thrones, which is a nice spin.
IT STARTS GETTING VERY OBVIOUS NOW!

>There occurs a great earthquake where "the sun becomes black as sackcloth of hair" (6:12).
>sun becomes black
>great earthquake

Come on guys. If you played the game you know what this means.

Don't even get me started on the divine messengers.

Thank you Myiazaki for making Christian mythos cool.

Fedora tippers need not reply.
>>
>He believes in a good
So it is summer already?
>>
>>336010235
>japanese media features christianity out of the ass because rule of cool

woo fucking oow
>>
>>336010235
mooom! r/atheism leaking again!
>>
File: revelation.jpg (61 KB, 375x481) Image search: [Google]
revelation.jpg
61 KB, 375x481
For people not as well-read, Johns Revelation is a part in the Bible describing the end of the world, at least on the surface level.

Thank you for reading, please give it some thought.
>>
>>336010341
>Reading a bible means believing/having religious beliefs
You are retarded.

Just because someone reads lovecraft doesnt mean they believe in cthulu or nyarlothetep
>>
>>336010601

Cool thread OP,I'll keep this in mind as I play
>>
The Book of Revelation is heretical garbage.

Jesus said that even he didn't know when the end of the world would happen. Pretty sure if he didn't, some other faggot didn't either.
>>
>>336010235
except DaS3 isnt based on the bible as much as its based on, or heavily references, Berserk.
whilst berserk makes heavy reference to Revelations and the end of times and the like.
its more an indirect thing, reall, op.
>>
File: 5246246249.jpg (102 KB, 435x750) Image search: [Google]
5246246249.jpg
102 KB, 435x750
>>336010883
Spotted the heretical neochristian denomination garbage.

May Roman Catholicism reign supreme, filthy heretic!
>>
Japs commonly put Christian themes in their media because "it looks cool"
>>
File: 1459295229818.jpg (221 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
1459295229818.jpg
221 KB, 600x511
>It's a "Japanese game portrays Christians/the church as violent fanatics who's god is likely fake while simultaneously expecting to you take aspects of Japanese religion such as reincarnation at face value" episode
>>
>>336010883
This is not what we are discussing here.
>>336010895
I watched the Berserk anime, and while what you say is true, i do believe that in DARK SOULS 3, and in DARK SOULS 3 only this resemblance is intentional by the creator Hidetaka Myiazaki.

Let's take a closer look at divine messengers, which many believe are Frampt and Kaathe, manipulative serpens from the first game (biblical reference again), but they are wrong.

"Angel" in Biblical Hebrew is mal'ak . Its main meaning is "messenger",

These angels are the ''mosquito'' like things, also described as pilgrim butterflys, that fly over the lothric castle. Many will doubt that these are the angels, however it is stated on one of the items relating to the winged knights states
>the angels came from the sky

The serpents come from the below, and as such, it is these angels that are revered.

Also, angels too are biblical.
Messenger
>>
File: 1459129509816.jpg (372 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
1459129509816.jpg
372 KB, 1200x700
>>336011228
Martyrs Logarius and Alfred literally did nothing wrong.
From a lore perspective, Vilebloods treat the dead with disresepect and ill content.
Making decorations of their corpses.

The Executioners have their zeal, their faith, respect and their wheel.
they believe in the strength of their fists moreso than any stupid ritualistic act.

I find them far more down to earth than any batshit vileblood queen.

They are normal people assuming the guise of the mask of vindication to right what they feel is wrong with their world, and the order of hunters.
>>
>>336011609
I know that the winged knights worship an angel, held in the archives, but we only find a cage, empty, with feathers scatterred about.

I wish i knew what happened to the captive, or where they went.
Maybe dlc will tell.
Wonder if they had anything to do with magic and the crystal sages too.
>>
>>336011609
Lets not forget Cathedral of the deep being the holding place for all evil in the world.
Until Pontiff Sullyvahn Slipped some awful perversions into the braille tomes, cathedral was apparently a holding ground for evil crap.

>Tall cage doors
>Sealed room of rosaria
>Giants guarding/ standing watch.

Archdeacons may have been wholly good until they were corrupted by Sullyvahn, the Antichrist of Dark Souls.

I really want to know who aldritch was.

All I know is he came from irithyll originally.

Maybe he was just a lowly irithyllian cleric sent on a caniballistic bender by sully. who knows.

Poor Gwyndolin.
>>
File: jesus.jpg (141 KB, 800x746) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
141 KB, 800x746
>>336011764
In this cage is Gertrude, the heavenly daughter, locked away, dead, with only feathers around, remains of her wings.

Why do i know this is her? You find a miracle on her corpse that states:

>Miracle of Gertrude, the Heavenly Daughter.
The Queen's holy maiden Gertrude was visited by an angel, who revealed this tale to her.

The winged knight armour says:

> Armor of the Winged Knights, who swore themselves to the Angels.
>Worship of the divine messengers was viewed as heresy in Lothric and unrecognized by any of the Three Pillars of rule.
>This is believed to be why Gertrude, the Heavenly Daughter, was imprisoned in the lofty cell of the Grand Archives.
>>
>>336012046
Yes, a cathedral of such architecture is found only in the western christian world, not anywhere else.

The presence of deacons and priests further reinforces my point as christianity being a powerful motif in this game.
>>
>>336010341

It's a month too early for t his autistic ass post.
>>
>>336011609

God those things are creepy, surprised you don't fight any
>>
>>336011609
The serpents are based on the Ouroboros.
>>
>>336012620
They are not made for battle, those are angels of the dark souls universe. The closest you get to such a fight is the Dragonslayer armour.
>>
File: 1461998656596.jpg (39 KB, 389x575) Image search: [Google]
1461998656596.jpg
39 KB, 389x575
>>336010341
Nigga, liking Christian imagery or themes doesn't automatically make you a member of that religion.
>>
bump pls
>>
>>336010235
That's interesting anon. Normally whenever a work of contemporary fiction draws from anything biblical, they start and stop with a character as a Christ-like martyr.
>>
This "daily reminder" needs to die.
>>
File: dark-souls-III_concept-art.jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-III_concept-art.jpg
50 KB, 640x360
>>336016562
They started with Gwyn, a Christ like figure, and continue with his successors, who also sacrifice themselves.

The motif is obvious.
>>
>>336011609
The anime only covers the normal stuff except zodd.
>>
>>336010883

>Jesus talks about the end times at the desecrated temple
>Never mentions when it will start
>John speaks in length of his vision of the end times
>Not contradictory to what Jesus spoke of
>Never mentions when it will start

You just start that intro to Theology class Atheist fag?
>>
>>336010341
xD
>>
>>336013240
Why does this guy have fans and get support? Guess it doesn't matter aslong as he' saying hurrr god's not real. The atheists will flock to whomever
>>
>Jesus
>christianity

That's the antichrist actually.

http://pastebin.com/Yj53GrxN

It is amusing how the board who preaches all kinds of "sin" and satanism and that even has a dedicated board where sorcery is discussed and satan worship and demon summoning encouraged doesn't stop mentioning jesus everywhere.

The board that claims satan is cool... mentions jesus is cool.
>>
File: kirm.png (191 KB, 397x416) Image search: [Google]
kirm.png
191 KB, 397x416
>>336011609
>>336010895
Can this guy fuck off with his God damn Berserk references? Jesus Christ dude, this isn't an adaptation you made your own IP fucking move on.
>>
I am very glad you guys agree with what i wrote here.

It is pretty obvious to any sound person when layed out like this mo, but i didn't have much luck proving this connection to Reddit audience.
>>
>>336019320
No one says Satan is cool, only kids who want to look hip do for some reason.
>>
>>336019320
Wow what a read that pastebin was. Almost as if from another place, by something not human.

I'd rather not trust it.
>>
>there are people who actually believe in God

>on the internet

>in the 21st century

Call me a fedoratipper all you like but Goddamn this explains the retarded shit I force on my eyes to a certain extent.
>>
File: Dark-Souls-3-3.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-3-3.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
bmp
>>
>>336011609
>>336011609
>>336011609

Look very closely at the butterflies.

They're just the charred remains of gaping vagina dragons who flipped upside down
>>
Revelation is pretty fucking cool
>>
>>336011000
This Micolash is so uncanny. Fuck.
>>
>>336020387
why is the passage of time a relevant argument against the existence of a god?

>le it's 2016 face xd
>>
Well you're not wrong OP, Dark Souls is heavily based on Berserk, which in turn is heavily based on christianity.
>>
>>336020869
>Berserk
>heavily based on christianity

i dont see it
>>
>>336020869
Dark Souls 3 is directly linked to the Bible, as i stated in the OP.
>>
Bump pls
>>
>>336022035
>directly
Parallels are not direct links.
>>
>>336022557
You're absolutely right, but come on. Is Bloodborne also not inspired by Lovecraft because it doesnt have Cthulhu in it?
>>
>whenever /r/atheism sees a thread that has religion, they derail the thread with their crap
4chan is christian and not atheist
>>
>>336022795
Learn to choose your words carefully.
That's all.
>>
>>336012046
Christfag here, haven't read Revalations in some time now, but Pontiff=Antichrist makes so much sense.
>>
>>336020398
all those almost crosses

I keep getting EoE vibes looking at that image
>>
>>336010235
>>/vg/
>>
Fuck you guys, does no one care about how this.game is inspired by the Bible? You guys read a lot of shit but fail to read one of the most influential books in the world.
>>
>>336024923
They don't need the bible where they're going
>>
>>336024923

The bible is made up shit written by random faggots anyway. Read the quran if you really want to see God's word.
>>
>>336024923
The "evidences" are just way too weak to encourage any proper discussion.
>>
>>336010341
*tips fedora*
>>
>>336020069

Yeah dude, the proper way to live is: love your enemies, let them smack your face, do not make sure there's a God, give away your money, be stupid.

Totally "evil" to go against people who very obviously wanna murder you.
>>
File: Where%20is%20home.jpg (253 KB, 841x743) Image search: [Google]
Where%20is%20home.jpg
253 KB, 841x743
>>336025294
Fuck off mudslime.

>>336025582
Thank you, i will rework the OP and make sure that the parallels there are more graspable.

I think its very obvious when laid out in such a conscise manner.
>>
>>336026875
Mate, i'm not even christian.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.