[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i always tought morrowind fags were the worst as far tes is concerned,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Elder Scrolls Daggerfall (22).png (31 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Elder Scrolls Daggerfall (22).png
31 KB, 320x200
i always tought morrowind fags were the worst as far tes is concerned, that was before actually getting to play daggerfall

>muh more skills
50% of them are plain useless (all language skills) or have a check almost never (streetwise and etiquette), let's not forget the lockpicking skill in a game where you can just bash locks down with no downsides

>muh huge map
what's the point of having a in game map bigger than england if it's 100% flat terrain with different textures (seriously, daggerfall map is literaly a minecraft superflat preset world with village generation) and you'll be always using quicktravel since there's no exploration to be done (almost all places are marked from the start and the rest are found by quests and map items, forget just getting out of town and run until find something interesting like morrowind, obilivion and hell, even skyrim).

>muh super complex dungeons
all non main quest one are randomly generated so once you beat a couple of them and learn to recognize the patterns you can instantly find your way in any else, not that you will ever want to since there's no interesting/unique loot to be found, ever

>muh huge towns
yeah i love 100+ building towns where half cannot be entered ("theres nothing of value in it :^)" ) and those that do have nothing in it anyway (you can't play thief since you'll find lootable containers once in a blue moon, and when you do you will be chased down by guards because the stealth skill just doesn't work)

also unique shops? what's that noise? every shop of each category is the same (even the "map") the only thing that changes is how much they pay for your shit and what tier of items can appear

enemy ai so bad you will exploit it without even realizing when you're not just walking backwards swiping the mouse (daggerfall combat is morrowind combat with mouse swiping instead of clicking) that will get rid of any non ranged enemy in the game regardless of level since they won't be able to hit you
>>
No-one defends, or has ever defended, Daggerfall/Arena.

/thread
>>
Okay OP I'm glad we got to hear you bitch about a game that's two decades old. I'm sure this opinion would have been just as useless then as it is now
>>
okay op, everything you say is correct, but keep in mind this game was released in 1996
>>
>>336011870
keep in mind superior games were released at the time for consoles pcfanboy
>>
File: 1460830702745.jpg (11 KB, 363x106) Image search: [Google]
1460830702745.jpg
11 KB, 363x106
>>336012743
Keep in mind your console wars faggotry belongs on the YouTube comment section. Stayou off of this website.
>>
>>336012743
Daggerfall, warcraft 2 and diablo are better than every console game released in 1996. The only one that came close was resident evil
>>
>>336009358
Congratulations, you've discovered that Bethesturds never made a good game.
>>
>>336009441
This is a blatant falsehood. Lots of people here like Daggerfall.
>>
>>336009358
More options are better if you want to make a game where the intent is to roleplay.
>>
File: varying degrees of scum.png (682 KB, 1152x288) Image search: [Google]
varying degrees of scum.png
682 KB, 1152x288
Why do people get so up in arms over their favorite TES game? All the games are wonky as fuck and I'm pretty sure we just like them for different reasons.

Oblivion is my favorite, but not becuase it's "better", but just becuase it's the one I played as a kid(I tried Morrowind earlier, but I was too young and to bad at english). That means I liked it more becuse that kind of game was new to me and I didn't have as much to compare it to and It's not very hard to suspend your disbelief when you are young. I'm sure you fucks have similar reasons for why you like certain games more, even if you don't realise it.

bla bla not your personal blog bla bla bla
>>
Kids will never understand the crushing disappointment that was Morrowind

It was a good game and everything, and frankly, so were Oblivion and Skyrim, but Morrowind was the game that made the defining decision about the direction the series was going in, and they made the incorrect choice
>>
>>336009358

People dislike Bethesda because they're constantly going one step forwards, two steps back. Sure almost all the skills in Skyrim was useful now, but in the process a lot of skills are missing.

A good developer would find a way to keep all of the skills and make them all useful/viable.
>>
>>336014331
>the incorrect choice
Morrowind was definitely a step in the right direction. I don't know about you but I prefer a handcrafted world with hand placed loot instead of a random generated world with absolutely no uniqueness. People often say Oblivion has the most generic world, but Daggerfall is much much worse.
>>
>>336014331
>the incorrect choice
Morrowind didn't casualize shit, it just trimmed down all the shit and polished the decent things of Daggerfall.
I'll gladly give awful useless skills as long as I get an interesting world that's worth exploring.
>>
>>336014331
>the incorrect choice
Morrowind didn't casualize shit, it just trimmed down all the shit and polished the decent things of Daggerfall.
I'll gladly give awful useless skills as long as I get an interesting world that's worth exploring.
>>
>>336014668
>A good developer would find a way to keep all of the skills and make them all useful/viable.
Not really.

Good designers know their audience and give them what they need to have fun. Bethesda has been after the CoD audience since Oblivion, so streamlining and simplification has been the order of the day.

If you want complexity and roleplaying possibilities, you'll have to look outside video games. RP died with graphical fidelity.
>>
File: 682.jpg (29 KB, 600x610) Image search: [Google]
682.jpg
29 KB, 600x610
>>336009358
You could have even had an argument there, but you thought it better to fuck yourself with a bunch of factually incorrect statements.
>>
>>336017701
As someone who loves Daggerfall, I think OP's pretty well correct on most points.

That doesn't make them less of a faggot, however.
>>
Is Morrowind worth a playthrough?
I like old RPG and don't mind the graphics but I've never tried Morrowind because muh Bethesda, I have the impression I'm gonna clip through the floor every 10 minutes or some shit.
>>
>>336018025
Install the code patch and you're golden.
MSGO makes the game look very pretty, even if you don't care about graphics perhaps you might wanna try it.
>>
>>336018025
Install the unofficial patch and just play it
>>
>>336014331
>the crushing disappointment that was Morrowind
This fucking meme needs to die. If you played Redguard, you knew what to expect.

Daggerfall was so unpolished that the promise of a full 3D world and characters in a new engine made Morrowind extremely attractive. The hype about hand-crafted everything in the latter was more of an apology for the former's shortcomings than anything else.

If you played Daggerfall enough to beat the main quest, you'd have embraced Morrowind in its entirety.
>>
>>336018025
It's definitely worth a try, just be prepared to suck at lower levels. You're going to be shit at anything you haven't invested a decent amount of points into, and it's not like in Oblivion or Skyrim where you just suck at those things, I mean you will actually fail at those things. you can fail to create potions or enchanted items, you can miss enemies outright with attacks and you can fail to cast spells. It's a different beast to the newer games.
>>
>>336018025
It's worth a play, but be prepared to exercise your patience.
The systems are fairly opaque. Example: your ability to hit enemies is based on how full your stamina bar is. No stamina = can't hit shit. This isn't explained well in the game.

You won't clip through floors or fall through geometry unless you're moving at ludicrous speeds or wedging yourself into tight areas with levitation. Unlike Oblivion and Oblivion: Dragon Edition, there's no shitty Havok implementation, so it's actually pretty hard to do.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.