[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dwarf Fortress worth learning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: dwarfsx0.jpg (7 KB, 211x228) Image search: [Google]
dwarfsx0.jpg
7 KB, 211x228
Is Dwarf Fortress worth learning?
>>
>>336009320
Absolutely.

It'll take a while but most difficult part is actually getting used to the game.

It took me 3 tries to get into it and now when I'm in I love it. Learning curve is not that big, and I remember how happy I was the first time I struck the earth.

Watch a lets play, see how they play and when they do what for general guidance, keep a wiki open.

It is truly an unqiue experience, there is no game like it.
>>
Get a good tile set, all the neck beards will shun you and say that dorf fort is meant to be played ascii only but fuck them autismal assholes.
>>
hell no

toady needs to open source that shit NOW so people can actually make it playable
>>
>>336010247
I only play ascii because all the tilesets are fuckugly. If there was a decent isometric view with mouse support I'd spend shitloads on it
>>
It's a fun game, but hopefully the creator will remake the game on unreal engine 4
>>
>>336010280
your mom's pussy is open-source, cause everyone can use it
>>
>>336009320
yes
>>
>>336009320
Somewhat, it's a very simple crafting game, all you need to do is get used to designation and endless crafting list. Best way to do it is to play some tutorial video and play the game alongside it.

You have to use Dwarf Therapist to assign jobs and even then it can be something of a chore. It has great atmosphere in a sense that it's a good way to use procedural generation and try to create something out of nothing.

I find that the game has pacing problems, given that once you learn it, there's no particular challenge up to a certain point where it can all go spectacularly wrong.
>>
>>336010501
>get your LOL on @ epicburnz.com
>>
does the game still grind to a halt when you have 100+ dorfs?
>>
>>336010404
I use a tileset, but it's basically just ascii with more rounded corners and a few other simple font improvements, shit like that.
>>
>>336010637
you bet

the easy solution to this problem is embark in an evil biome with rain that melts the skin
>>
>>336010854
Or build a gladiator pit and make dorfs fight to the death
>>
>>336010921
how would you do this? Specifically making dorfs hostile to each other?
>>
>>336011152
Make their lives hell and wait for them to go insane.
>>
>>336010637
you can just close the gates to immigrants and send out regular war parties to the locked out infamous beast
>>
if you have alot of time on your hands than maybe
but if you hardly get time to play vidya than no

basically it kills the concept of comfy vidya gaming because you need to read alot of things to get into it but btw adventure mode is quite easy to get into

but this game actually is good that there are alot of games inspired by it like rim world gnommia etc
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.