[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have to say, I misjudged this game. A while ago I played, died
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 689757577565.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
689757577565.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
Have to say, I misjudged this game. A while ago I played, died a few times and got pissed off with it.
Starting playing a few days ago and now I'm having a blast with it. Dark Souls 1 is a flawed game but quite fun when you get the hang of it.
I'm at Ornstein and Smough now. I heard they're pretty hard. Ornstein just flew at me with his spear and one shotted me.
I've had some troubles so far, I'm hoping I'll be able to beat them.
Anyway, Dark Souls thread if you'd care for one.
>>
File: 1450139895004s.jpg (5 KB, 115x125) Image search: [Google]
1450139895004s.jpg
5 KB, 115x125
I'm doing a SL1 run.
>>
>>335997674
Its fun to do stupid builds after you get everything down a few playthroughs
>>
>>335997674
Always kill Ornstein first, unless you REALLY want his gear. Second-stage Smough is piss easy compared to second-stage Ornstein.
>>
Lost cout of how many times I got fucked by gargoyles or Iron golem, heck even wolfie (well, gravity most of the time) but those two only took like 2-3 tries. And I'm new to DS.
It's only bad when it's 2v1, in a 2v2 it's laughable.
>>
>>335999776

The fights were designed for you to fight them by yourself, of course it's easy when you turn on easy mode.
>>
>>335999935
Perhaps, but the difference of having a meatshield npc or not is HUGE, almost as huge as Smoughs round belly.
>>
>>335999075

You can get his gear if you kill him second? That's pretty cool. Guess I'll get it on my second playthrough if it's not even harder on NG+

>>335997759

What's that?

>>335999776

I think I lost to Quelag about 35 times. Was happy when I finally beat her, like for the first time I actually got excited about something weirdly.
Felt like an idiot though because the whole time you just have to roll under her, poke her two times and run away before she does that 1 shot red aura attack
>>
>>335999075
Super Ornstein i also easy. Just stay under his balls and he can hit you with only 2 attacks
>>
>>336001431
SL1 Run is starting as a Pyromancer (Level 1) and not leveling up at all. This results in lower equip load and health, and a very small range of usable weapons.
I did it myself until I got into the Darkwraith covenant. Then I went to Burg and dressed in Havels (which I couldn't use) and dropped goodies for new players.
>>
>>336001431
quelaag is pretty easy to dodge but i think she has shit tons of HP. i have been replaying a lot lately and even when i have +10 weapons and the jizz she is just one big chunk of bubblegum to chew
>>
>>336001749
can you not use havels even with havels ring and mask of father or ect? i could not figure out how to beat the 4kings on my SL8 run other than equipping havels and spamming R1.
>>
>>336001749

That sounds hard but I heard pyromancy is broken in this game so at least that's good I guess?

>>336001817

Yeah when you know what you're doing I guess. For new players like me it can be pretty daunting I think
>>
>>336001980
i didn't really learn to dodge on my first playthro, i just used heavy shields and cried behind them. timing the invisibility frames of the dodge roll comes with time if you come back to the game.
>>
>>336001906
Oh, I meant the weapons.
You can use Havel's Set. Pyro has a base equip load of 51.0, and the set is 50.0. You can wear it without rings if you're fine with fatrolling with a caestus/dark hand.
With both those rings and a daddy mask, you can midroll with 4.5 weight left over, enough to equip a Battle Axe, a Grass Crest Shield + Dark Hand, or a Heater Shield + Hand Axe
>>336001980
Pyromancy is broken in that its power isn't drawn from a stat, but from the upgrading of the catalyst, meaning it takes less than a quarter of the levels needed for a Miracle or Sorcery character. This allows low-level characters to deal heavy damage, and high-level melee-based build to have a supplemental spell or two to use in a pinch.
However, a pyromancer needs attunement slots which can be raised with the corresponding Attunement stats. An SL1 pyromancer has only 2 slots, meaning they can only fling 16 of the weaker Fireball spell. Not really enough to take down endgame bosses, especially ones immune to fire.
>>
>beat the game last weekend
>didn't parry Gwyn because I'm fucking shit a parrying, but still beat him pretty easily due to his fairness and minimal levels of bullshit
>started NG+ thinking I'm hot shit because I have all of my upgraded equipment
>fucking wrecked by hollows
>fucking wrecked by rats
>one shot by Capra Demon through a Black Knight Shield wearing full Silver Knight set without the helm
Goddamn.
What else actually changes in NG+? I can see enemy health and souls are increased (tripled?), and clearly enemy strength, is there anything else? Does all this shit increase again in further games?
>>
>>336002228

I've been playing 30 hours and still can't parry and I've been relying on the shield a lot too.
Can't quite get the hang of exploiting those invincibility frames. People say roll into the attack and I've been doing that but still get hit.

>>336002745

Wow that sounds like hell. Good luck with your run I hope you beat it
>>
>>336002793

Yeah iirc the difficulty increases up to NG+7
>>
>>335997674
Why are there so many people on /v/ who still haven't even touched Dark Souls? Just because it became popular? I mean how can you call yourself a gamer if you haven't at least tried one of the most praised, well designed games in recent years? Both loved by critics and players.
>>
>>336002924

I did try it a while ago but got pissed off with it. It's only recently because I saw Dark Souls 3 that I thought I should really give this series a go.
I think most people do try it and just drop it.
>>
>>336002924
who in the mother of fuck calls themselves "gamers" except some 35 year old gaming journalists who have played 10 games in their lives, including call of duty and mario.
>>
File: enkindle.png (37 KB, 1001x283) Image search: [Google]
enkindle.png
37 KB, 1001x283
>>336003357
>I think most people do try it and just drop it.
It would certainly seem so.
>>
>>335999935
>The fights were designed for you to fight them by yourself
Maybe if it wasn't for Smough's long range hammer charge and Ornstein clipping through pillars and teleporting around.
Especially the latter makes me mad because the fight could've been really good without that bullshit.
>>
>>336003716
>Ornstein clipping through pillars and teleporting around.
I don't think I'd have ever beat them if it wasn't for those pillars. Getting him stuck is the only I can ever sneak a quick sip in.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.