[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you have made a new Doom game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 17
File: maxresdefault.jpg (517 KB, 3000x1677) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
517 KB, 3000x1677
How would you have made a new Doom game?
>>
FAST
>>
COLORFUL
>>
>>335980549
I would not have outsourced shit like they did.
>>
>>335980549
A carbon copy remake of Doom 1 but with modern graphics.
>>
>>335980853

so doom on gamebryo?
>>
>>335980942
>A carbon copy remake of Doom 1 but with modern graphics.

How the hell does something like this even work? Did you actually think before you typed such nonsense?
>>
port original to 3DS
>>
A sped-up version of this upcoming Doom.
>>
>>335980549
I would have hired prominent mappers from the doom community

I would have left multiplayer off until a later update

I wouldn't have done the lock you in place finisher animations meme

I would have made it episode-based with slightly different weapons and enemies in each episode to keep them from getting stale

I would have made the armor design more fabric based than metal based

I would have had metal music
>>
>>335981243
nintendrone detected
grow up faggot
>>
Codex pop ups
Objective markers
Easteregg/secret locators
Huge gun models
Slow as fuck
>>
>>335980549
I wouldn't have. Doom relies on things you can't do any longer
>>
>>335981243
already done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImZsUxT-L_s
>>
File: 199409182085.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
199409182085.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Turn it into a tactical shooter.
>>
>>335980549
Something faster, more mod-friendly, more PC-focused, and more old-school than what this new Doom has in mind, No loadout/leveling horseshit in the multiplayer, no cinematic novelty animations for killing and acquiring items, I'd have physics that allow for rocket jumping and advanced movement techniques, I'd hire prominent Doom mappers as >>335981587
said, etc. etc.
>>
>>335981162
>How the hell does something like this even work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4x9lpF8K4
>>
File: DOOM - IDSOFTWARE.png (18 KB, 780x157) Image search: [Google]
DOOM - IDSOFTWARE.png
18 KB, 780x157
>>335980549
not like this
>>
>It's a Doom shilling thread
>>
>>335981768
I think 3Doom would look really nice. Those flat sprites in the simple geometric 3D environments would really stand out if it took advantage of the 3DS's 3D.
>>
incubus soundtrack
>>
>>335981162
You cannot grasp the concept of a remake?
Please tell me you're baiting
>>
>>335981587 here
One thing I like about the new one:

Flavor text lore that's kept in the background, so it's only there for those who want it, that's a pretty good concession
>>
I would make a game that I wanted to make instead of trying to profit off the success of a classic.
>>
>>335980942
Nah, I feel like Doom's maps get pretty bland, and the monster variety is extremely limited compared to Doom 2

If you compare some of the maps that people have made for Doom since release, all of the Doom and Doom 2 maps seem like complete ass
>>
>>335980549
I wouldn't? I mean, I understand why companies are always so eager to dig up the grave and have sex with a dead body to make moneys. But I am not a company.
>>
>>335980549
The single player footage they recently showed looked great. I'm looking forward to it, I wasn't interested in the multiplayer anyways. But if it were my choice I would have designed the levels in the 90s fps fashion, also would have many more baddies on screen. I'd probably hire some Quake or Duke3D mappers, some of the recent content is amazing.
>>
File: doomjob.png (243 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
doomjob.png
243 KB, 540x304
Make the single player a tad faster. I could do without the RPG elements but they're not overtly offensive either. Make the guns feel a little heavier, make enemies react to being shot better. Make the average firefight a little more hectic with more shooty enemies so you have a higher focus on dodging. Higher difficulties would improve AI rather than bullet sponge the enemies up, also would remove a lot of the things annoying people like secrets marked on maps, objectives markers, glory kill highlights, etc. Possibly give it to Machine Games because I like what they did with Wolfenstein: TNO.

Multiplayer is fucked as long as its outsourced to Certain Affinity but removing loadouts and goofy taunts would be a good start.
>>
>>335981812
I'm surprised how well this seems to work
>>
>>335982313
Quake fanmade shit is unfuckingbelievably good

There's great Doom megawads out there too
>>
why did console ports of doom tend to suck?

werent consoles more powerful than the average home pc of the time? couldnt they just have added more chips to the cartridge?
>>
>>335982450
>why did console ports of doom tend to suck?
Doom PSX and 64 were great anon, but the rest were bad yeah

>werent consoles more powerful than the average home pc of the time?
In terms of graphic rendering capability, yes
In terms of processing power and memory and storage space, no
>>
>>335982608
Doom 64 doesn't count; it's not a port

PSX Doom is obviously inferior to the PC version but I give them credits for changing the mood and adding colored lighting and shit to suit the forced slower pace, that took actual effort, and even the Doom PSX TC on PC is still very enjoyable
>>
File: tumblr_o6ba3oOHZ01qmvin6o1_540.jpg (221 KB, 529x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6ba3oOHZ01qmvin6o1_540.jpg
221 KB, 529x810
>>335980549
Taken Hints from Project Brutality and Brutal Doom and other well made mods/wads
Full mod support
Large focus on the PC Community (taking insight from them)
Less focus on Multiplayer
Maybe would have hired famous wad makers
Death Metal / Thrash Metal Soundtrack
>>
>>335980549
Start with Doom 3 as a basic template, make the shooting feel better, and avoid cutscenes as much as possible.
>>
>>335982450
>why did console ports of doom tend to suck?
controls

>werent consoles more powerful than the average home pc of the time?
No. They had dedicated 2D hardware, making them excel at 2D tasks, like platformers, puzzles or rpgs. Unfortunately that same dedicated 2D hardware completely gimped their capabilities for framebuffer visuals, like anything 3D

>couldnt they just have added more chips to the cartridge?
Sure, that's what Super FX did. But you still had to work with the 2D hardware for output, which meant throwing away all the graphics advantage consoles had, and actually working against it.
>>
I would have made the ultimate 2.5D shooter. Honestly, the 2.5D games like Duke 3D and Doom hold up much better over time and they never got a chance to evolve, they just changed overnight into clunky 3D Quake knockoffs. So yeah, I would have made Brutal Doom with high res textures and gone really creative.
>>
Is true verticality actually needed? I mean, could it have no jump controls and the map expressed in a simple xy plane and still be good?

(Some) new games have verticality and its nice, but Doom has loads of custom wads which obviously lack it and they are also great.

I don't see why they should have gone the Quake route and add rocket jumps and all that stuff.
>>
>>335982691
Why have you capitalized random words in your post? It makes you look like a brainless retard.
>>
File: 35234421342353245.png (30 KB, 241x97) Image search: [Google]
35234421342353245.png
30 KB, 241x97
>>335982691
>Taken Hints from Project Brutality and Brutal Doom
Fuck you anon, this is what got us the doom 4 we have now

By well made mods/wads you SHOULD mean megawads such as Back to Saturn X or Scythe or UAC Ultra instead

>>335982818
>I would have made Brutal Doom with high res textures and gone really creative.
Fuck you too, that's not creative at all, spectacle over gameplay is not the right approach
>>
>>335982821
>Is true verticality actually needed?
Not at all. Some anon earlier mentioned id was looking for ways to make the new Doom stand out. Sticking to the plane would have been it. Doom's a 2D game at heart. All its movement and interaction happens in 2D. Embracing that leads to very different gameplay compared to cover shooters and bunny hoppers
>>
>>335981105
Was talking about handing Doom to the shit Halo developers
>>
>>335982450
The PS1 and N64 versions of Doom were the only ones that mattered.
>>
>>335982821
>(Some) new games have verticality and its nice, but Doom has loads of custom wads which obviously lack it and they are also great.
>I don't see why they should have gone the Quake route and add rocket jumps and all that stuff.
Well I don't think it really hurts anything. some of those same mappers could probably make some really cool shit using more vertically. Even great Doom maps had a lot of verticality even if it didnt mean there were rooms on top of each other
>>
>>335983029
>some of those same mappers could probably make some really cool shit using more vertically
Some of these mappers could also do excellent Halo or CoD maps. Doesn't mean you'd want these in Doom games

>Even great Doom maps had a lot of verticality
only visually, without direct impact on the gameplay
>>
>>335983134
>only visually, without direct impact on the gameplay
Wrong, try some megawads like Scythe sometime and tell me that again

>Some of these mappers could also do excellent Halo or CoD maps. Doesn't mean you'd want these in Doom games
Having verticality doesn't make something un-Doom though. Most source ports adds room over room functionality anyways. Doom is about the great weapons and cool movement and monster variety; that's the shit that Halo or CoD lacks. Maps have nothing to do with those being not as fun.
>>
>>335983134
>only visually, without direct impact on the gameplay
I dunno man

When I think of Doom 2 I think of The Pit, starting right in some deep hole and having to climb up out of it and not knowing what the fuck you were going to run into

Or The Living End where you can see the end of the level up a big hill, and you have to fight your way up to it, with enemies raining fireballs on you from atop it the whole time

Perfect Hatred from Doom 1 is similar in that regard
>>
>>335983262
>Having verticality doesn't make something un-Doom though
consiering the whole engine is planar internally, yes, it does.

>Most source ports adds room over room functionality anyways
Not ports then, just derived engines

>cool movement
bingo. Movement that relies on a focus on planarity

>that's the shit that Halo or CoD lacks
because these games focus on other aspects. See >>335982963

>Maps have nothing to do with those being not as fun
Map design is a direct consequence of game design
>>
First off, I would fire all the lefties from the studio so we can work on the game more efficiently and creative without hearing concerns about the things we want to put in the game. Also I would make it only for PC.
>>
>>335983392
>When I think of Doom 2 I think of The Pit, starting right in some deep hole and having to climb up out of it and not knowing what the fuck you were going to run into
And yet all fights you have are entirely planar. The pit is just a visual
>>
File: 427352345623.jpg (5 KB, 116x178) Image search: [Google]
427352345623.jpg
5 KB, 116x178
>>335983434
>bingo. Movement that relies on a focus on planarity
You can have several planes on top of each other though without changing that. All it does is give mappers more choice and flexibility.

>>335983509
You're deliberately being an asshole. you totally ignored the part where there's fire raining down on you from up above Those aren't planar fights.

There's also the whole deal with the final boss totally revolving around reaching the same height as the hole to fit a rocket through

You're one dense autist who doesn't understand Doom, I guess you would have been a good fit for the official Doom 4 after all
>>
>>335983442
You are not old enough to be posting on this site, leave now.
>>
>>335983509
False, Doom is one of the first games where fights weren't planar
>>
>>335983509
>And yet all fights you have are entirely planar. The pit is just a visual
Then why are there so many parts of the map where there's monsters attacking you from higher up ledges you can't reach?
>>
>>335983717
Epic meme post.
>>
I'm the guy who wrote >>335982821 and I said "TRUE verticality" because it is technically a 3d game. Say a cacodemon is far away and up above you and throws a projectile at you, you can evade it by running at it/from it. Or you can miss him by firing too low.

But verticality is much, much less used than in posterior games. You could almost play the whole game from the map screen if entities appeared there. An I'm fine with that. Wolf3D was purely 2D, Quake was purely 3D, Doom is a pseudo 3D I like, and quite different from both.
>>
>>335983672
>You can have several planes on top of each other though without changing that
I did not deny that. Why bother though? What's the gain?

>All it does is give mappers more choice and flexibility.
More opportunities to fuck up, you mean
>>
>>335984735
>What's the gain?
Not having to rely on teleport line tricks to have stairs that walk up into a room above for example?
>>
>>335984843
I asked what's the gain in having stacked areas. I don't give a shit about the implementation
>>
>>335984896
What's to lose?

What's to gain is potentially cooler environments, taking better advantage of map space, not having a void of sky covering other parts of the map because it's actually a solid column, etc, more opportunity for secrets
>>
Literally just make it NOT FUCKING SLOW
>>
>>335982821
I was actually thinking it would have been a great idea if the new Doom didn't have a jump button. This was of course before they revealed what the game was actually going to look like.

I had mentioned that they could have some sort of climb mechanic. Like for example being able to climb on the hood of a car but not being able to climb a wall to high. What makes Doom 1 and 2 so good even today is that the no jumping actually makes it feel very unique as a shooter.
>>
>>335985019
>What's to lose?
ease of navigation, way of movement

>What's to gain is
Can't be bothered to go through your list in detail, but I just don't see most of them as being an advantage, and the rest too little an advantage to justify the damage
>>
>>335981587
This.
>>
>>335981587
>I would have left multiplayer off until a later update
wasn't MP a major part of Doom's success?
>>
>>335985230
>>What's to lose?
ease of navigation, way of movement
I think it would make it easier, since you can move some of the map complexity to the vertical axis instead of having to force a new area all the way to the edge of the map you've created already

There is no fucking damage. You're delusional. Quake plays way different for way more reasons than the maps can have brushes over one another.
>>
I would've made MP that doesn't have a two weapon limit

>>335985349
Yes
>>
>>335985349
Yes, that's why I want to save it for a time I can throw the full weight of my dev team into it after we've recouped some money as profits roll in, rather than outsourcing it to old Halo devs, so the multiplayer is just as fleshed out as the rest of the game and not a side project
>>
>>335985381
>since you can move some of the map complexity to the vertical axis
good luck showing that in the map, or having the player visualize it, as they can't look up or down. The "mental map" of what goes where is considerably more complex

>having to force a new area all the way to the edge of the map you've created already
You're a piss poor map designer if you make it up as you go
>>
>>335981409
>>
>>335985524
And you're a piss poor map designer if you can't think of good uses of 3D floors; there's plenty of Doom map makers that have
>>
>>335985476
>that's why I want to save it for a time I can throw the full weight of my dev team into it after we've recouped some money as profits roll in
ah, DLC whore, gotcha
Smart idea to move the community driven flow of income (I have Doom dude, you need it too, so we can MP) into the post-hype phase, when everybody moved on to the next shiny thing.
>>
>>335981796
Man Rogue Spear was FUCKING AWESOME
>>
I know a guy who claims he's a DooM fan, and says that he's really looking forward to this game. He's so cemented on his opinion, that he ignores people's criticisms, neigh, he even ignores the "overwhelmingly negative" badge the multiplayer beta got, saying something like "people are complaining that this game is like Call of Battlefield" or whatever colorful mishmash of western console shooters he came up with. He even says that people despise the game because "itz too noo :c", and thinks the preview for the singeplayer that was released earlier got him excited as fuck.

This is the kind of guy who was bitching about DooM 64 being "console exclusive" and being completely unaware of the PC EX remake/port until VERY recently. I think I should just ignore anything he spouts out, he does act like an insufferable jackass on this forum I'm on.
>>
>>335985647
>ah, DLC whore, gotcha
It would be a free update.
>>
>>335985580
>if you can't think of good uses of 3D floors
I can. And I can also see how bad use of 3D floors is utterly destructive, especially in such a game. As such, I'd rather take away a toy with opportunity for marginal improvement and major fuckups. If they insist on doing it, they can, and by then probably have the skills to work the maps. Giving it to every joe though is a recipe for disaster
>>
>>335985759
Then that's the map designer's own fault. Hire someone who isn't a shitter.

By your logic Doom shoudn't have map tools at all because 90% of pwads out there are total utter trash
>>
>>335985806
>Hire someone
community maps? good luck

>90% of pwads out there are total utter trash
Now imagine the rate if you gave them even more rope to hang themselves with
>>
>>335985647
Obviously it's a game not approached as the newest AAA hit but rather as a more PC-focused title with an intended longer lifespan and new content over time.
>>
>>335985891
>Now imagine the rate if you gave them even more rope to hang themselves with
It wouldn't fucking matter. Maybe a few percent more maps would be shit. But the good ones will still stand out, just as they always have
>>
>>335985907
>PC-focused
buzzword

>intended longer lifespan
Publishers don't like a "longer lifespan". They like hype, quick sales derived from it, and then pushing people onto the next iteration.
>>
>>335985907
>>335985721
Hell I probably would even take the Hitman approach and release the episodes separately, adding new MP content with each one as well. You could buy the game as one whole product, you'd just get the episodes as they release

>>335986034
Well, fuck publishers. I want to make a good game, not a super billions selling AAA game that will die out after a few months.
>>
Could a Doom as fast as the original with dozens, sometimes hundreds of monsters on screen at once even work with modern graphics?
>>
>>335986034
>PC-focused
>buzzword
Not really. PCfats tend to stick with a game for longer thanks to staggered content releases and free updates and modding.
>>
>>335986123
>I want to make a good game, not a super billions selling AAA game that will die out after a few months
Good luck. Whether you like it or not, you are competing with the AAAs, for people's time. You've seen the hype machine for any major game on here. People can only play so much, and they do want to play the hyped games. Anything else will fall below the radar within a year or two, no matter the intentions.
>>
>>335986231
Sure. Problem is nobody's really tried it without drastically altering some aspect of it , be it level design (Serious Sam for example) or pace (Doom 4) so we just won't know.
>>
File: 346534765864.png (215 KB, 447x439) Image search: [Google]
346534765864.png
215 KB, 447x439
>>335986309
>You've seen the hype machine for any major game on here
I haven't seen one here for Doom 4

So what if it fails. This is a hypothetical situation in which I could make the game in any way I wanted.
>>
File: 2du.jpg (80 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
2du.jpg
80 KB, 400x400
I would have had the people who made the Shadow Warrior reboot make the new Doom. They clearly knew how to take a retro fps and bring it into the modern world. What we are getting with Doom is worse than the German's losing WW2.
>>
>>335986472
That was slow too

Actually, D44M is a bit faster.
>>
>>335986472
I dunno, I felt like Nu Shadow Warrior's levels were lacking, and Doom 4's level design looks similar, with the whole locked in a medium-sized arena until all the enemies are dead gimmick
>>
>>335986412
>one
The game is constantly being discussed. Remember, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Even this very thread is helping.
I'm not saying people are shilling, and OP certainly isn't. I'm saying that people like to discuss current subjects, especially subjects they're interested in. Just like it's Doom (4) now, it'll be GTA 6 next year, or CoD: Piece or whatever in 2018. Crowd excitement shifts quickly, and said crowd excitement puts games into people's awareness. Who'll play Doom: Cool Edition when everybody's busy talking about, playing and sharing pics of other games?
>>
>>335986662
Because if it's actually good people will keep talking about it long after its few months. hence why people still talk fondly of the old Dooms, or other surprisingly good games like Revengeance or shit like that
>>
One thing I just want to know about this game. Where the fuck are the zombies with guns? They are the most basic enemy in the series and now we just get these slow moving ones that don't do anything.
>>
File: IMG_0309.jpg (93 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0309.jpg
93 KB, 600x407
>>335981587
>I would have made the armor design more fabric based than metal based
>This is the prime "Patrician" taste from /v/
>I would have had metal music
don't embarrass yourself
>>
>>335986970
>Where the fuck are the zombies with guns?
You play one
>>
>>335986970
They're there

I noticed there's a Chaingunner but he fires projectiles now (thank fucking god)
>>
>>335987054
suck off kanye on /mu/ faggot
>>
>>335987143
>thank fucking god
Too slow to dodge hitscans like a man?
>>
>All these faggots wanting a reskinned Doom 1
No thanks you can't even look up, take off the rose tinted glasses
>>
>>335987302
why would you want to look up?
>>
>>335980549
I would have made it myself. With 100 different enemies and without telling you shit.

So pick you gun, gear up and start killing shit because they'll try to kill you too.

Fucking Bethesda.
>>
>>335987335
Because my mouse allows me a full range of viewing motion?
>>
>>335987434
you have over a hundred keys on your keyboard, yet only use wasd, and it doesn't bother you one bit
>>
>>335987347
>without telling you shit
>starts telling you shit
>>
>>335981162
This guy, don't know to laugh at him or feel sorry for him.
>>
File: 1435856321324.jpg (68 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1435856321324.jpg
68 KB, 706x706
>Joke about how difficulty settings in Doom 4 will be lazy shit like enemies do more damage and have more health
>People tell me that's how it is in Doom 1 and 2
>Mfw these are the people who tell you the new Doom game is just like the classics
>>
>>335987434
moving the mouse away from you moves your character forward. Your precious motion is not ignored by the game, if you want
>>
>>335987527
nope, it is a lot easier to use my mouse than all of the keys on my keyboard though
>>
>>335987692
so use it. You don't even need w and s, thanks to your mouse
>>
day one buy, stay mad nerds
>>
>>335987054
Yea, maybe replace the metal with smooth jazz, fucking /mu/ steaming faggot
>>
>>335982450
Cosoles were never superior, just more convienet and accessible to middle class familys.
>>
>>335987875
what visuals, design, weaponry and enemies would a fast paced shooter with smooth jazz bgm have?
>>
File: 2275989-box_eye.png (481 KB, 541x640) Image search: [Google]
2275989-box_eye.png
481 KB, 541x640
With SP character kinda like in pic, but less RPGy, similar quality but more varied and classic DOOM guns, better map contet (but the same aesthethic quality) yet balanced (and fast) multiplayer. Also actual mod support instead of Bethesdas stupid editor
>>
>>335987992
3rd and 4th gen were way ahead of IBM PCs in terms of 2D graphics, thanks to dedicated graphics hardware
>>
>>335988062
*character progression
>>
>>335983024
DOS says hello...and fuck you to your censored kiddie versions with shitty joystick controls.
>>
>>335988178
>joystick
on the ps?
>>
I think this looks ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWQQBtWSNJw
>>
>>335988024
pls reread post I responded too and mine as well
>>
>>335988024
Oh my bad thought you were being dumb, but I was being dumb...idk everything would probably be dicks everywhere with mellow smooth jazz as Master Chief plays a soothing sax solo
>>
>335987829
>this is purist Doomfag logic
>>
>>335988302
I like the pace but it looks like he's playing on easy mode
>>
>>335988398
>>335988485
I read it that you were being sarcastic. That sarcasm aside though, the idea of a frantic shooter with the most mellow smooth jazz in the background sounds fascinating. However, the visuals and levels and weaponry would have to be completely out of whack as well. Like projectile vomiting at hamsters to the rhythm or something
>>
>>335988582
>>335988485
would you play if it were only the Doom 4 multiplayer?
>>
>>335985349
No. Spin off games, like Blood, Duke Nukem, quake, wolfenstien

The doom game engine created an entire generation of games in the mid nineties and raised us from the crash of the eighties and laid the foundation for the multi million dollar industry we know today.

Thats what source engine and steam was trying to accomplish since the original half life, but not most use the unreal engine instead.

Remember, games like crysis, fear, and half life are meant to be tech demos to sell the engine.
>>
>>335986276
This, the most I've played of a console game is 6 months, while PC games I can play for years.
>>
>>335988804
I'm talking success in terms of community popularity, not financial gain of the authors
>>
>>335986034
PC-focused is a buzzword nowadays because there is no reason to do that anymore. There's a reason why "console port" is a term, games are made for consoles first and foremost, and the PC versions are really rudimentary at their core. Plus, with Microsoft and Sony buying off exclusive content for their versions, PC only has superior performance to fall back on.
>>
>>335989152
>PC only has superior performance to fall back on.
indeed, and even that is fuzzy, because, due to the porting you mentioned, the shaders and models have a bit of an upper bound. So the only thing where a PC could actually have superior performance is resolution and supersampling. Not even framerate, as that's usually locked, by virtue of being a port
>>
>>335987302
But that would be the inovation remake Doom 1 with photo realistic graphics and have the ability to look up down, anywhere, have a complete 3body in game instead of being a floating camera.
>>
>>335988804
Dont forget Strife.
>>
File: 1445142974753.jpg (49 KB, 427x300) Image search: [Google]
1445142974753.jpg
49 KB, 427x300
>>335981812
>"My god what have I done."
>Imp just pulls the guys head off.

masterpiece
>>
>>335989067
Well having games that use the same engine andformat (FPS) helps

"Hey man, you like playing Doom? Well guess what there is this New Game Called Duke Nukem, where you play as a holywood movie starwho fights off Aliens invading L.A. and save babes. There's tits and get this, unlike Doom you can aim up crouch and jump and even fly around with a jet pack..it's truly a 3D game and more advancedthan doom!
>>
>>335989152
Hahaha!
>>
>>335981587
>I would have hired prominent mappers from the doom community

This is (roughly) how Daikatana happened. You'd hire a bunch of Doom mappers and then have the team fall apart because making an AAA game isn't like drawing sectors in Doom Builder and the majority of Doom's quality mapping community isn't actually capable of anything else.
>>
>>335989708
>having games that use the same engine andformat (FPS) helps
The opposite. Having similar games compete for attention normally makes you fade into irrelevance.

>Hey man, you like playing Doom?
The answer to that relies on Doom having at least initial success. It should be noted that in the context of this thread its long term success matters. That it still is very relevant

>it's truly a 3D game
Build engine had the same limitations regarding vertical look and stacking locations
>>
>>335981812
God, how did I ever think Doom 3 was/looked good?...
>>
>>335990241
it was/did. Wasn't Doom though, about its only fault
>>
>>335980549
I wouldn't have.

Some games are just not made to be rebooted.
>>
>>335990464
my man
>>
>>335990241
It looked great back then. It's also a pretty good game although somewhat flawed.
>>
File: D3-DeltaLabs-S4.jpg (139 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
D3-DeltaLabs-S4.jpg
139 KB, 1280x1024
>>335980549
I would've built an engine from the ground-up around modding tools, designing the level editor by combining the whole "Sector drawing" style of Doom editors with a map format that utilizes true 3D space, resulting in something similar to the Cube or Reflex editors and exposing all the weapon/monster scripting through a DECORATE style system. It'd push graphics as far as possible while retaining the simplicity of the map editor. It'd be designed so that levels can be edited collaboratively via networking. Weapon designs would focus on all being mechanically different and monster designs would focus on fulfilling a role in combat and would utilize simple AI so that the engine could handle a lot of active AI before choking. The campaign would likely be midrange ZDoomfaggotry style, with a tiny bit of storyline and exposition along with objectives/progression being delivered in a less arcadey style through the game world - while it would utilize keys, other obstacles and puzzle pieces would factor in as well. I'd use logs for fluff like the current Doom2016 does, and would let any story element be skippable.

>>335990241
It's a mod you dildo, mods often look considerably worse in Doom 3/newer games in general because the editors are hard to work with. Doom 3's actual campaign looks almost nothing like that.
>>
>>335986472
Shadow Warrior 2013 has the exact same fucking things everyone's complaining about the new Doom having, including the whole thing where it steals the title of the original game while being almost nothing like it AND it features a health regeneration mechanic.
>>
>>335980942
But I've already played the original doom a bunch already.
Why would I want to play it again?
>>
File: laughing DaS3 armor.jpg (10 KB, 136x136) Image search: [Google]
laughing DaS3 armor.jpg
10 KB, 136x136
>>335981812
>source coordinates 6.6.6
>shoots his own team mate
>"my god what have I done"
>that effortless head rip
>>
>>335980549
Like the first one but with good graphics.
>>
>>335993137
the first one has good graphics
>>
File: ff1.gif (3 MB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ff1.gif
3 MB, 640x400
Levels like DooM 1 in the beginning, DooM 2 in the end. Large levels with different ways and reasons to go back sometimes. In some levels make a transition between realistic designs and hellish with some kind of teleport effect. sorta like DmC did
No executions.
Metal soundtrack.
Designs inspired by HR Giger, like original.
Maybe some gimmick for chainsaw, that let you choose how to slash demons with it.
Full moddability instead of Shitmap.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.