[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this good? What's best neo-late-90's WRPG? Shadowrun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: header.jpg?t=1455638510.jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1455638510.jpg
54 KB, 460x215
Is this good? What's best neo-late-90's WRPG?
Shadowrun?
Age of Decadence? Wasteland II?
>>
>>335965251
Haven't played Pillars but I enjoyed Dragonfall's story and characters as well as Age of Decadence. AoD was pretty short for each playthrough but the options and choices I really enjoyed.
>>
>>335965251
AoD and Divinity OS. AoD isn't very long but it handles choice and consequences very well and is very replayable. Divinity OS has a weak story but the great combat system and co-op mode make it worthwhile. There's always 2 more ways to solve a quest.
>>
>>335965802
I enjoyed D:OS and its combat but there was always something finicky about it to me, like quite often I would accidentally move my archer instead of getting her to shoot.
>>
>>335965251
Isn't it SJW infested? Like that Baldur's Gate 2 DLC.

I was almost buying one day till someone told me that.
>>
>>335965251
AoD is is genuinely great, Conversely I feel like Pillars is just overblown hype cause Obsidian.
>>
>>335966043
D:OS2 is shaping up pretty nicely. The polls they do for new content are annoying though because the normie backers always vote for the worst shit to be put into the game.
https://youtu.be/sx_kfUVowiA?t=1m37s

>>335966186
There is no DLC for BG2
>>
>>335966284
>There is no DLC for BG2
There is now. SJWs bought the rights to your favorite game so they reach through the media you love. Enjoy ;^)
>>
>>335965251
It has that feel, that lack of direction that most kickstarted games have. I don't like it
>>
File: Baldr043.png (907 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Baldr043.png
907 KB, 1280x720
>>335966473
You could at least be informed about the things you talk about. It's for BG1

>>335966546
I know that feel all too well. They spend too much time appeasing backers with inane bullshit to pad stretch goals.
>>
>>335966186
Siege of Dragonspear is for baldur gate 1.
>>
>>335966683
Never actually played BG1 but how is it if I want to get into it? New DLC aside, people always praise Baldur's Gate but I never played an Inifinity Engine game, only pre-2000s WRPG I played was FO1 and 2.
>>
>>335967197

BG1 Feels a bit grindy, there is a lot of exploring empty wilderness. You may not like that.
>>
>>335967281
Is BG2 any better? If so would skipping BG1 and just reading a summary have any effect?
>>
>>335965251

>Pillars of Eternity
I never played Baldur's Gate or its ilk in its time, so take my review with a grain of salt. I liked the characters, I liked the writing, I liked the world, and I even liked the combat system, but I just couldn't finish the game. I think that's more on me than the game (I've just never been a fan of the dungeon crawler genre, thus my disclaimer above), but for what it's worth, I'm constantly tempted to play it again. I don't realize why I stopped until I actually get to the meat of the game.

>Shadowrun
The first game isn't much more than a "Welcome to the Shadowrun universe!" guided tour. It's enjoyable but quite basic. Dragonfall is the absolute shit, I love it to fucking death. Hong Kong isn't quite as good as Dragonfall but still a great RPG. I recommend checking it out, but maybe skip the first one if you're already familiar with the world.

>Wasteland 2
I loved the fucking shit out of Wasteland 2, but I think that's because it catered very closely to my individual tastes. Brian Fargo promised fans an old school RPG and by God, he delivered to a T - and that includes some of the less-discussed hallmarks of that period, such as unbalanced chargen choices, uneven difficulty, and the effects of your choices sometimes being so opaque that you don't even realized you missed something.

The Director's Cut alleviated some of the, let's say, roughly-hewn elements of the game, but it's still somewhat off the beaten path. Again, I love it to death, but like Pillars of Eternity, I think that may have more to do with me than the game itself.
>>
>>335967197
It's fun but BG2 is better in just about every way. I would recommend playing BG1 first with EasyTutu, Unfinished Business, and the NPC project

>>335967281
I never felt like I was grinding in either BG game.

>>335967460
Don't skip the first game it's still a solid game.
>>
>>335966186
>Isn't it SJW infested?

Pillars of Eternity? No.
>>
>>335966186
>Isn't it SJW infested
barely
>>
>>335965251
Did you like baldurs gate?
are you not have nostalgia goggle glued to your face?
if you answered yes to both of those questions, then pillars of eternity is a solid game
>>
>>335965251
>What's best neo-late-90's WRPG?
underrail
>>
>>335967467
have you played underrail or fallout?
if so, compare shadowrun and wasteland to those
I love shooty crpgs, especially post apoc and cyberpunk, but there are so few out
>>
>>335966186
Nah, PoE is pretty solid. Besides that fuss with the butthurt tumblr trannies over a fucking epitaph they had to change to something less "transphobic" it has no SJW elements. Don't miss on it.
>>
>>335968069
Try neo scavenger
>>
>>335966186
No, unless you're so /pol/ that the idea of there being a successful kingdom of blacks in the game triggers you.
>>
has anybody played
>inquisitor
>swords of the pit
>avadon
>antharion
>avernum
>neo scavenger
>balruim
I like a lot of indie crpgs, but I need to know which ones to avoid
>>
>>335967850
There's nothing nostalgia about it. I played BG for the first time recently and they're much better than PoE.
>>
Baldurs Gate series is fucking terrible, some of the worst writing in a CRPG I have ever seen.
>>
>>335968204
it looks a lot like cataclysm dda
is it pure proc gen? because I do like story and intentional design quite a bit too
>>
>>335968352
Balrum is OK, out of that list though I'd definitely try Avernum first though, Spidweb games are solid.
>>
>>335968467
I'd like to see you quantify what is good and bad writing. It's the go-to buzzword to criticize a game without actually saying anything about it. I've even see people say PS:T and Fallout have bad writing because the game doesn't take itself seriously 100% of the time.
>>
>>335968441
true, but too many people got hung up on "its not bg" mentality and actually bought into the "icewind+bg+planescpe" hype
the infinity engine games are better, but pillars is still a solid game on its own
>>
>>335968069

I haven't played Underrail, but I've played the original Fallouts. Wasteland 2 has less roleplaying, I think, than the original Fallouts; your speech options are generally limited to "tell me about X" and saying something to progress a quest or otherwise "accomplish" something. You won't get three or four ways to say "Hi, I'm default_name and I'm from the Rangers!" like you could in Fallout 1.

That said, the combat is probably more complex than in Fallout 1 or 2, especially since you're controlling a whole squad rather than just one character. It's a little complex than Fallout: Tactics' combat would be if F:T's combat wasn't crap. Exploration is also fun and rewarding, if you're into that sort of thing.

Shadowrun is a completely different animal to Fallout in both roleplaying and combat. Combat's maybe a distant cousin of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, with a small number of actions per round that you can use on movement, weapon attacks, or cooldown abilities. Dialogue offers a little more characterization choices than Wasteland 2, but still not as much as the old-school Fallouts.

End of the line, if you like shooty RPGs, then these are definitely competently made shooty RPGs.
>>
>>335968881
When you market your game as IWD+BG+Planescape I think people have a right to be mad about it. Over time though it will lose that stigma I think and be judged on its own.
>>
>>335967197
If you're playing for the story just play Planescape: Torment. If it's for the combat then BG2.
>>
>>335968943
sounds great
I really like exploration and neat settings more than roleplaying. I only do one or two playthroughs anyway
I do like the idea of party combat in a shooty. you only get one character/no followers in underrail. Fo:T and xcom were fun, but they didn't have the setting and adventure that these games have
>>335969017
I think people are right to be upset about being disappointed, but story writing and gameplay are completely subjective, and it is marketers jobs to hype it up to whatever extent they can. I try to make a point of ignoring hype
>>
>>335967197
if youre in for the long haul, might as well go bg1 into bg2
the mechanics are very easy to get into, pretty simple
>>
>>335968824
It has very, very simplistic writing, the story is uninteresting, the companions are two-dimensional and its overuse of exclamation points is inexcusable.
>>
>>335965251
Since we're having a PoE thread can someone tell me which patch to play on? I know they rebalanced everything to holy hell and ruined a lot of classes in the name of balance but who the fuck needs balance in a single player RPG? Fucking retarded if you ask me.

Anyway, any suggestions?

I'm sure the expansions require the latest versions but lets take that out of the mix, I'm only interested in having fun with the base game right now.
>>
>>335970080
Simplicity in writing isn't a bad thing, uninteresting story is subjective, the party member story arcs are well done in BG2, and there's really only one way to make a character yell things in text form!
>>
>>335969717
>sounds great
>I really like exploration and neat settings more than roleplaying. I only do one or two playthroughs anyway
>I do like the idea of party combat in a shooty. you only get one character/no followers in underrail. Fo:T and xcom were fun, but they didn't have the setting and adventure that these games have

Sounds like Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 are your type of game. Godspeed, Anon.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.