[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Something, something, censorship >something, something,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 19
File: rg.jpg (174 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
rg.jpg
174 KB, 720x540
>Something, something, censorship
>something, something, localization

Since when did it matter? It sucked back then, but it didn't matter at the end. Lately, any games that have been on a controversy surrounding these subjects have resulted in being bad games (For reasons that have nothing to do with cut stuff)

Can anyone name one GOOD game that came out since 2014 that was geniuelly affected by a publicity stunt censorship?
>>
File: Ninty.png (1 MB, 992x843) Image search: [Google]
Ninty.png
1 MB, 992x843
Millenials just don't understand.
>>
>>335958637
>Oh wow, my game got so butchered? I cannot play it anymore, it doesn't even feel the same way!

Did this shit mattered to you when you were a kid? Holy shit
>>
>>335958637
>Millenials
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>335958637
>implying that someone born after the 2000s can't come up with a good argument

i've seen 15yro kids prove their points better than you can anon
>>
File: 4628646835.jpg (24 KB, 262x250) Image search: [Google]
4628646835.jpg
24 KB, 262x250
>>335959098
>someone born after the 2000s
That's not what a millenial is.
>>
It matters now because jap import smug fucks can roll in and brag about their tits edition all over the internet.
>>
>>335959196
then what the hell is a millenial then?
>>
>>335957075
You're right it did suck back then
I like my anime titties and I'm a paying customer. If Nintendo doesn't want my money, they won't get it. I don't have to spend money on FE, I can spend it on one of the many competeing titles like Dark Souls or whatever.

What stings is the regionlocking. If Nintendo consoles weren't region locked, I could just import the game from Japan. Of coursw I'd have to speed up my Japanese, but that's another matter. There is no fucking need for regionlocking. I got a PS4 because no matter what, I know I can play whatever game I paid for on it, and I won't be getting the NX. Why do people suck corporate cock? The ideal of a free market is that it provides you with options, and here there are clearly superior options. I won't stand for Nintendos bullshit because I don't have to.
>>
>>335959259
Straight from Wikipedia:
>Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000

What you're thinking of when you say "millenial" is actually Generation Z.
>>
>>335958637
>not just playing the far superior pc version of maniac mansion
That's your own damn fault...
>>
File: saitama's face when.png (124 KB, 364x271) Image search: [Google]
saitama's face when.png
124 KB, 364x271
>>335957075
Because faggots on the internet are more interested in creating drama than actually playing video games. Drama has no place in the video game industry. Shit needs to be changed, sometimes just fucking deal with it.
>>
>>335958778
>it doesn't matter to me, so no one else is allowed to care

Yeah, sure
>>
>>335959661
>Shit needs to be changed, sometimes
No it doesn't. I want the full game, the way the developers intended, not the version some cuck thinks is right.
>>
File: 1429933997865.jpg (4 KB, 158x153) Image search: [Google]
1429933997865.jpg
4 KB, 158x153
>>335957075
It sucks more now because WE'RE FUCKING AWARE OF IT HAPPENING, BEFORE GAMES EVEN COME OUT. Back then during the NES era? Nobody fucking even knew what was going on and by the time they did find out the games they played were censored they already moved onto new systems & games to care. When you know a game is going to be censored before it even releases you'll never get rid of that feeling of owning an incomplete game, that some chink on the other side of the planet paid the same amount you did and got more for their buck. It's infuriating.
>>
File: toon link's face when.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
toon link's face when.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
>>335959829
>sprite/model is changed
>there is less of a game
>even though there is a very real possibility that it increased the filesize
>cuck meme
And you want to be taken seriously? Games tend to get changed because, surprise surprise, they're aimed at children. If you can't learn to live with the fact that video games are made for children, that's your problem.
>>
>>335960093
why do neo-nintendo fans indentify with children even though they are grow ass man ?
>>
File: Megaman implores you.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Megaman implores you.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
>>335959580
>Straight from Wikipedia:
>Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000
>Vague buzzword
>>
>>335959829
This "way the developers intended" idea is retarded and not true to life. The game has already gone through a billion changes during development from both the staff and people in charge of marketing and executives.

So many people and businessmen touch every game now before the public even sees it, whatever the original artistic vision of it is is already so diluted that defending it as an artpiece is pointless.

I'm not saying that censorship is good or that games don't count as art or anything, but the place you're drawing the line at is completely stupid.

Fire Emblem is a different matter because the script doesn't even resemble the original product, but that's not censorship, that's an awful deluded localization team.
>>
>>335960431
>they must be doing A because B is right
>B must be right because right because THEY CANT BE WRONG

pretty sure thats how they rationalize it
>>
>>335960431
Everyone can enjoy video games, anon, they're not age limited, they're just aimed at children. It's like aiming a gun. You can aim for the deer and still hit the bear on accident. Then expect the bear to come charging at you because it's competent enough to do so.
>>
File: 123412345.jpg (5 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
123412345.jpg
5 KB, 287x176
>>335960549
>Vague Buzzword
It's people born between 1980 and 2000. The boundaries shift a few years depending on who you ask but it's hardly what I would call "vague." The only generation with exact boundaries defining it are the Baby Boomers.
>>
>>335960093
Okay I just won't buy them then
Just look at how woefully Nintendo is doing financially
>>
>>335961048
Video games are age limited. There are type and genre of video games that have high entry barrier to get to than others .

You aiming gun example is retarded and doesn't even answer the question from that post.
>>
>>335957075
>Since when did it matter?

since people started KNOWING what developers were removing and for what reasons. back before the social media days even most savvy people didn't know what had been changed in the PAL/NTSC versions. it also was not tied to a "i don't like thing" movement and instead happened to make the games more appropriate for kids or to stop religious nuts from going apeshit.
>>
>>335959790
>>335960085
>>335959661

I just don't know at what point did the gameplay stopped being the most important thing on a game? Is it wrong that i care more about what the game has to offer than what the developers cut? Isn't that something that you should check out AFTER experiencing the game and then think "Yeah, they made a mistake taking that out"
>>
File: 1450156629382.jpg (151 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450156629382.jpg
151 KB, 800x600
>>335961596
You don't have to be below a certain age to play any game, the ESRB exists to prevent 5 years from playing GTA and DMC (yeah, and that's working).

And to answer that question properly, why wouldn't you be able to identify with a child and understand their thoughts? They're not exactly complex. You once were one. Or maybe you still are.
>>
>>335961832
What's taken out of the game deducts from what the game has to offer you dngus. Let's say a certain problematic outfit is taken out of a game for western audiences, well that outfit could've gave me a reason to do another playthrough.
>>
File: autism levels.jpg (46 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
autism levels.jpg
46 KB, 514x536
Its because Gamergate failed their goal, and considering they have to police against SOMETHING, they decided to start a crusade against the evil liberals censoring butts.

Remember when the only censorship that was bad was story/gameplay censorship?
>>
>>335961832
It's not wrong for you to not care. I just don't understand why it's wrong for me to care. By all means, buy it if you don't care. I do care though, so I'm not going to buy it.
>>
File: 1445454940258.jpg (10 KB, 203x220) Image search: [Google]
1445454940258.jpg
10 KB, 203x220
>>335959661
>>335960093
>oh no! Better not show tits in my rated T game! Make that brown native American girl white! My poor eyes!
You sound like a Bush-era republican.
>>
>>335962296
>It's a Gaffer has to mention GG game
Hello NeoFag.
>>
>>335962123
Why is it allways lewds people argue about? Like, for example, back when they censored Mika's ass slap, everyone got pissed off even though the game can give you about 5-10 assshots of Mika while playing as her

It just doesn't make sense for me that everytime i see a lewd being censor it's only like what could be 0.1% of the entirety of the lewd content (And in most cases, there are things that were more "sexual" than what was taken off)

>>335962368
I only care because i have yet to see a game that was hurt by censorship. All the games that i've seen being talked about that went through censoring controversies turned out to be shit just based on gameplay alone
>>
File: 1387796743765.jpg (19 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1387796743765.jpg
19 KB, 500x281
>>335962627
>being a niGGer
>>
>>335962725
The removal of lewds hurts the game for me, because I like lewdshit. It's like removing the cherry on top.
inb4 >food analogy

As I've said before, there are so many competing sources of entertainment. Not being censored gives them an edge on the priority list.
>>
>>335962752
>Being a NeoCuck
Tick tock top cuck
Don't you have a patreon to be donating to?
>>
File: 46239976821637842.jpg (220 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
46239976821637842.jpg
220 KB, 1200x650
DUDE AMBUSH LMAO
>>
>>335962905
Shouldn't you be on 8gag?
I know you like to get sperged out over stupid shit like people insulting your movement.
>>
>>335962725
In SFV's case I think it's just mindless pandering to a certain demographic, like there's wasn't any official reason to censor anything but they took one thing out and made a big deal out of it to stop themselves from being targeted by angry blog posters for being sexist.
>>
>>335962498
>Things I've never said
I agree those are stupid and illogical changes, but covering up an ass or removing a religious symbol is fine if the game was E-rated in Japan and is E-rated in the west. The west is more conservative than Japan by nature, it's always been that way.
>>
File: hm.jpg (20 KB, 600x497) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
20 KB, 600x497
>developers can do whatever the fuck they want with their game because is THEIR game
>localization teams can do whatever the fuck they want because they were put in charge of the localization/translating
>people insist in that everything that gets made has to be in the game, even though the devs could've made a mistake and they need to backpedal for the sake of quality
>people think they have ANY kind of power over the development of a game

the only thing the consumers and the public should be able to do is NOT support them by NOT buying their games if you are that offended by their public- i mean censorship

>/v/tards will try to argue against this truth anyway
>>
>>335962627
>implying the culture of keyboard warriors didn't have anything to do with the increase of keyboard warrioring
Hell, I went and checked. Apparently they're digging into Nintendo of America and 8-4, merely a coincidence I presume.
>>
>>335962880
If the removal of lewds is the difference between a good and a bad game, then either is a perfect game with that single flaw or the game is shit with or without that lewd anyway
>>
>>335963194
Which is what people have been doing. Expressing dislike for localisation and not purchasing it. Would you prefer we all just acted like corporate bitches and mever express distaste for a prosuct?
>>
>>335963440
It could still be a good game. It's just that there is likely a better game out there.
Let's assume there is game A and game B. Both are roughly the same quality. When game A is localised, lewd stuff is removed, memes are added to the script, and certain dialogue removed. Game B however, is localised without the removal of anything, and a high quality translation. Hence I will spend my money on game B
>>
>>335963497
No, but i think it's overblown and exagerated to think that the quality of the game went from 10/10 to 5/10 for reasons outside gameplay, i don't see censorship as a reason to NOT buy a game (Unless extreme cases where a lot of the content was cut out, say MGSV), i like to judge based on how good the game is and then think if said thing that was cut off mattered in the end or not

>>335963658
Well, then i would just asume the localization team did a terrible job. But i can't tell if A and B are supposed to be the same game with different quality of localization

It seems like your logic is
>if the game is good i'll buy it
>>
File: fat man cant enjoy his treats.jpg (111 KB, 883x691) Image search: [Google]
fat man cant enjoy his treats.jpg
111 KB, 883x691
>Video games can't have sexy women, visible panties, dirty humor, slight racial jokes, or be the slightest bit non-PC or fat hambeasts and their beta male orbiters will throw a temper tantrum on social media
>Despite this happening multiple times, cold hard facts proving time and time again that these SJW types do NOT buy or even pay attention to these games after it comes out
>They will merely protest it for a week, maybe make a hashtag movement that lasts a day or two, then go back to patting themselves on the back for some other bullshit
>Game devs, ESPECIALLY Nintendo, continue to bend over backwards for these failed abortions as if something will change the 300th time

inb4 someone mentions how this has always been a thing, because that clearly tops the fact that these assholes are now vocal enough that they brag about this shit in a more public way, for example see that cunt stain that says something or other about "oh my god I can FIX this" when he came across something he didn't like.

All I want is the same damn game Japan got, but in English. I don't care if you have to change names or jokes for the English audience to get it (unless it's hard-rooted in what it is, don't pull some Pokemon or Phoenix Wright shit and call a rice ball a donut), but if Japan gets an outfit that's just panties and some band-aids, then by god America better get that too. I'm so fucking tired of it being [CURRENT YEAR], the Internet is a fucking thing, it takes two seconds to find out that content has been replaced or removed.

Just let me have my perverted shit, god dammit. I don't see any rules that say Hipster Arthouse Bullshit Walking Sim isn't allowed to be next to Underage Panty Quest or Dudebro Shooter.
>>
>>335959259
You are whatever you reads adolescence /early adulthood in. I'm 22, I was born in the 90's, but I'm not a 90s kid, though I remember a ton of their shit.
>>
>>335963989
That's good if it works for you. Keep in mind though, that different people value different aspects of games differently. For some people, those elements of the game that are removed in localisation were important aspects. Some don't want to support that based on principal. There are certain things that I will concede to localisers. I can understand NoA removing sexualistion of underaged girls for the sake of PR in the west.

A and B aren't the same game, they're just games of simmilar quality. Game B is an 8/10, wheras game A is a 6.5/10
If it weren't butchered in localisation, game A could be an 8/10 too. A good example of censorship damaging a game would be the recent #FE fiasco, with bra shots in a dungeon being covered up. To be fair, the game's not out yet. But, if it changes some important thematic aspects of the dungeon (the sexualisation of idols) then it changes how the story is viewed. Ultimately, I'm simply not getting the full product, and I actually find it somewhat condenscending.

If a game is good, I'll buy it. But, I won't buy it if there is another game out there that is better. I don't have enough money to buy every game that comes out.
>>
>>335964570
Fair point
>>335964357
>Video games can't have sexy women, visible panties, dirty humor, slight racial jokes, or be the slightest bit non-PC or fat hambeasts and their beta male orbiters will throw a temper tantrum on social media
Since when we have games that do that
>>
>>335959661
>Shit needs to be changed

That's the problem, nearly all of NoA's censorship has been senseless. Just look at Persona Emblem's hot springs DLC. NoA would rather loose money by not releasing it than risk the possibility of feigned outrage.

I can't believe NoA still clings that tightly to its family friendly image.
>>
>>335964993
I understand, I have every Senran game and love them to fucking pieces.

But that doesn't change the fact that every time a Senran game slips through the cracks and actually makes it to America, that's one of maybe ten pervy games we'll see. I had to buy a Japanese version of Bulletgirls at a convention because there's no way that shit will get released here, I had to buy the Hong Kong versions of Moe Chronicle and DOA Volleyball 3, and I'm gonna have to do the same for Moe Chronicle 2 or whatever the fuck it's gonna be called.

Nobody has the balls to let these games come out over here more than a handful every couple years because people scream and cry about titties, and then go back to watching heads get blown off in Walking Dead. It's a fucking retarded double standard that I hate that keeps getting ignored for some fucking reason, whether it's puritans, SJWs, or whatever the fuck the current enemy is this week.

Look at stupid bullshit like Zoe or Anita that clearly gets a free pass to do whatever the fuck they want and nobody will challenge them because nobody wants to smack that particular hornet nest. It's insane, and you're crazy if you think that isn't a genuine issue. I don't care what people want to play, so why does everyone get mad at what I want?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>335957075
Because I grew up with an industry run by people with balls who didn't give a fuck what the rest of the world thought. Even the shills were telling the censors to fuck off. Vid related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

Now everyone has their balls chopped off. Titties are an international fucking incident and giblets are going to turn little johnny into a school shooter again. Bad enough that no-one's left to make the games properly anymore without everyone needed to be emasculated and shamed for liking them.
>>
>>335957075
There's a group of people trying to take over the industry from within. This was not true 10-15 years ago. We can't let them win. They use censorship as a tactic. Every time a game is altered from the dev original vision, they gain ground.
>>
File: censorship chronicles x.png (716 KB, 455x654) Image search: [Google]
censorship chronicles x.png
716 KB, 455x654
>>335962725
A game that was hurt by censorship? Do you mean made worse because of it or do you mean sold less?

Eh, fuck it. And fuck YOU, faggot! I have an example that fits BOTH of those.

The new outfits look terrible. Objectively worse. Also, the removal of religious references made the story worse. Objectively worse.

And it sold less than it would have because I fully intended to buy it after playing the previous game. Went from pre-order to "I'll play it when I can emulate a content-restored version."

So there. There's your example.
>>
File: 1459922459496.jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459922459496.jpg
17 KB, 320x240
>>335957075
It "didn't matter" back then cause we were stupid kids that only found out long after the fact. Nowadays we are warned in advance and we can clearly see through these localization teams attempts to further "social values". Then again there is some shit is just plain stupid, like that one fire emblem thing about pickles.

Like it or not, a lot of people regard video games as art in this particular context. It'd be like chiseling off Davids cock before displaying it at the D.C. National Gallery of Art because "our statue should adhere to the current social ethics and standards of its displayed region". Everyone wants to preserve the developers "labor of love" and experience their work in at least a pure-ish form.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.