[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls lore thread? Dark Souls Lore thread! >Prince never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: 1460934029122.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460934029122.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Dark Souls lore thread?
Dark Souls Lore thread!
>Prince never was the lord of cinder
>Aldrich willingly linked first flame to save world from abyss horrors
Deal with it
>>
>>335953974
I am under the assumption Aldrich ate the Witch and Nito after we killed them in DaSI, but the Pontiff fed Gwyndolin to him.
It makes sense once you consider the optional bosses of DaS are canonically still alive.
>>
I was playing my deprived character earlier today and those fucking enemies pissed me off almost more than anything else in the goddamn game.
>>
>>335954417
I think that Aldrich just ate Lord Vessel, which contained Nito, Whitch and 4 Fags souls.
>>
I still don't understand why DaS3 does draw a distinction between the Abyss and the Deep though
Also Aldrich ate the gods to prepare for the coming age of the deep sea.
>>
>>335954280
Roll roll attack
>>
Threadly reminder that Pontiff Sulyvahn did nothing wrong
>>
>>335954625
You mean the guys on the murals to Faron keep?
>>
File: 14.jpg (1 MB, 2340x3499) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
1 MB, 2340x3499
My theory on why Yhorm linked the flame. Some description (I think his soul) mentioned that people in the town weren't exactly that huge fans of him. Makes sense he linked the fire to regain trust in giants in the minds of humans. Only that it unfortunately killed them all which made him sad and depressed.

Actually I have a small thought now. Assuming there's huge time gap between DS1, 2, 3. Giants in DS1 are workface, like animals that is clearly not as intelligent as humans (Gough clearly isn't the brightest mind around).

Huge amount of time passes and evolution makes them evolve into giants from DS2, which managed to make their own kingdom, had some kind of society, could build boats and had king (so they reached what humans already reached in DS1).

In DS3 huge amount of time passes again and giants are dead from war. Last giant indicated it, king Lothric probably went full Hitler-mode to erase their race (probably not many giants were left and they are hiding from humans). Yhorm is a bastard of giant and human, that's why he has features from both. And due to people hearing stories about giants going rambo from long time ago they didn't trust him much (that's why he needed to give sword in the first place, dude was segragated). Slave giants are due to time collapsing in the universe. They are clearly from Anor Londo slavery.

>tl;dr giants are niggers of DS univers, still behind normal humans and hated by everyone, can't do anything but smash and do simple jobs
>>
>>335954730
Of course the Sith Priest did nothing wrong.
Hey, would you pass that Hollow Leg?
>>
File: 1461762457429.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461762457429.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>335954280
Literally R1 spam. Got lucky with the message though. Reminds me of this webm
>>
>>335954730
Well, he fucked all outlander knights, but yeah, generally he was pretty cool guy
>>
>>335954653
Because it's not the abyss...maybe. The part that really confuses me is that whole "it used to be a holy place" thing. At first I took it as an allusion to bloodborne, but now...

>>335954750
Pics?
>>
>>335954280
Reminder Aldrich is the co-star of the official tie-in comic series and it looks to be showing how he linked the fire in a previous kingdom
>>
>>335954625
Makes sense. I think he wasn't forced to link the fire, but probably people who foresaw coming shit offered him town to eat (Undead Settlement) if he links the fire. Or said him that there would be nothing left to it if Age of Dark arrives.
>>
File: Safest place to be.jpg (138 KB, 726x807) Image search: [Google]
Safest place to be.jpg
138 KB, 726x807
>>335954884
Wouldn't you fuck the Dancer?
>>
>>335954952
ENB has it on his playthrough in 18 I think. It's an extra episode, really short.
>>
>>335954280
keep it in your containment general
>>
>>335954280

>A mutant wolf-goat will never violently force you to eat her pussy
>>
>>335954280
thought this was bloodborne for a few seconds kek
>>
>>335955096
I still have to get it on with Karla, thanks.
>>
>>335955096
I'd fuck her sure, but I wouldn't strip her from her family and force her to dance.

Pontiff is worst souls villain.
>>
>When Aldrich ruminated on the fading of the fire, it inspired visions of a coming age of the deep sea
Yes, even edgelorde Aldrich saw a fire fading as a problem
>>
File: Covered in filth.png (308 KB, 549x976) Image search: [Google]
Covered in filth.png
308 KB, 549x976
>>335955246
Just remember that Karla is covered with unmentionable filth and probably smells awful
>>335955310
That's not how you spell "best"
>>
>>335954280
>Aldrich willingly linked first flame to save world from abyss horrors
Don't item descriptions literally say he was forced to link the flame?
>>
>>335955310
Pontiff is just sleazy Catholic pope who likes young pussy and defends himself with it's for leholyblackblob.
>From tipped Fedora
>>
>Gwyndolin protects his home of Anor Londo when every other god pussied out and left when Gwyn left to link the first flame
>Does literally nothing wrong, even adopts Yorksha
>Upholds the past glory of his father, even fiercly protects his room in Anor Londo
>Literally gets the most gruesome death in the entire Souls series

I'm never going to not be upset by this, I hope Miyazaki stubs his toe repeatedly for weeks.
>>
>>335955436
No
>>
>>335955310
Now I want phase 2 Pontiff as a gang leader in a seedy bar with his doppelgänger as bodyguard. In the dackground the dancer does her best to earn some money for him and at the door waits Vordt.
The picture is perfect with some of the priestesses snuggling up to him and those fire carrying mooks taking position to his sides.
SOMEONE. PLEASE.
>>
>>335955389
Just feared Abyss would it everything before him.
>>
File: DarkSouls-15-162-ed233.jpg (442 KB, 1500x1138) Image search: [Google]
DarkSouls-15-162-ed233.jpg
442 KB, 1500x1138
>Solaire will never force his patriarchal views on you
;_;
>>
>>335955389
Where are people getting that he feared it? He worshipped the Deep.
>>
>>335954810
>DaS2 giants
Completely unrelated race. Just ignore that game and any lore it tried to establish.
>>
>>335955668
There is no "Deep". There's Fire and the Abyss, Light and Dark. Without Fire the Abyss would swallow all and take everything.
>>
>>335955246
My nigga. Karla is best girl.
>>
>>335955436
Hawkwood:
"and they made him a Lord of Cinder."
It doesn't sound like he got a choice.
>>
>>335955389
>Age of the Deep Sea is related to the fire.
I dunno man, it seems more like a new thing.

My personal theory is that he saw the hollow lord ending. The fire and the dark are gone, and something new must fuel a new cycle.
>>
>>335955634
In addition to this anon's request, could someone make a picture with Sulyvahn using Aldritch as a couch and Vordt as a footrest while he watches the Dancer
>>
File: Boreal Dancer.jpg (242 KB, 1700x790) Image search: [Google]
Boreal Dancer.jpg
242 KB, 1700x790
>>335955096
Absolutely.
>>
File: 1461366891024.png (173 KB, 576x416) Image search: [Google]
1461366891024.png
173 KB, 576x416
Just imagine if Lords of Cinder can actually sit on Thrones, since you put their ashes on them. And you can speak with Lords of Cinders.

>Yhorm tells you funny stories about his adventures with Onion bro, Profaned Capital and Flame
>Abyss Watchers explain Abyss Bullshit
>Aldrich turned into priest again and explains Deep Bullshit
>Lothric constantly bitching on you and his father explains who the fuck is Ocelotte, his ancient scholar mentor, wtf is Dark Firelink and which idiot dressed Snakes as Angels
>>
So did I really kill Gwyndolin in DS1 or not?
>>
>>335955785
>He worshipped the Deep.
He didn't?
He planned to be prepared for the age of deep sea, and cathedral of deep was literally build to keep deep away from people and reards away from deep
>>
>>335955869
Yeah I get the impression they hoped he would burn out and be rid of him. Thing was he consumed so many souls he was powerful enough to become a lord. So king sludge fuckhead kept going.
>>
>>335955869
Nigga, quote the rest

>He was made a lord of Cinder not for virtue, but for might

It doesn't sound like he linked the flame at all, just that he was considered powerful enough to do it and was therefore resurectted.
>>
>>335955973

That would be some semblance of storytelling, anon. We can't have that until DLC and even then stuff will remain a mystery XD
>>
File: CgliqcwUUAAAiyH.jpg large.jpg (74 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
CgliqcwUUAAAiyH.jpg large.jpg
74 KB, 500x600
>>335955996
He was just an illusion!
>>
>>335955996
Nope. Pontiff locked him up and then Aldritch ate him. It's safe to assume any optional boss is canonicaly alive
>>
>>335955869
>>335956156
How can you be so retarded?
It's literally says that he become lord of cinder because he was powerful dude, not because he was nice guy
Just like you can be total dick in das and still link the fire
>>
Still have no idea what the Profaned Flame is supposed to be a reference to.
>>
>Sorcery which improves upon Deep Soul. Fires powerful darkened soul dregs

>Archdeacon McDonnell, a sorcerer himself, delighted in the cathedral's stagnating souls. For him, they represented the glorious bedrock of this world.
You get this from the Aldritch Faithful. They saw the Deep as a good thing and used it themselves.
>>
>>335956002
THANK YOU.
They had even the damn deep protection miracle, to STEEL THEMSELVES FOR IT.
Also the Deep Ring makes explicit mention o the monks using the grotesque to keep whatever came out of the deep at bay.
>>
>>335956002
So it means he prepared himself for Age of the Dark and Deep is Abyss? He ate to survive through the Age of the Dark?>>335956156
But he had to link the flame to become Lord Of Cinder. More like another anon said, people make him do it, pobably by offering him more sacrifices and hoped to get rid of that McDonald's monstrosity.
>>
>Pontiff's Soul refers to Gwyndolyn as Old Royalty
>Dancer's Soul refers to her as a distant daughter of the royal family

So she was related to the Gods? She is "of the Boreal valley" after all
>>
I think people are skipping a lot of interesting stuff in these discussions.
>The DaS1 gargoyles showing up to take to US, and nowhere else
>The scene in the opening showing the Fire keeper putting on her visor, with fucking abyss in it
>Gwyn's tomb being used for the wedding

Any thoughts?
>>
>>335956501
Now I want a restaurant in the age of dark with Aldrich as mascot.
>>
>>335956331
I thought it had something to do with The Witch of Izalith trying to recreate the first flame or something.
>>
The Deep Sea isn't supposed to be another word for the Abyss? The connection seems pretty clear to me. Deep weapons do dark damage, remember
>>
File: 1444385613574.jpg (299 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444385613574.jpg
299 KB, 1200x1000
The first time I met one of the mad goats, I got grabbed 3 times.
>>
>>335956501
>More like another anon said, people make him do it
>Aldrich became a lord by devouring men, but was disillusioned with his throne, and so took to devouring gods instead.
I understand that most of people too retarded
But it's hard to become "disillusioned" with something, if you was forced to do it in the first place
>>
>>335956582
Not abyss, but the ery disciption of a darksign
The Nightgaunts taking you down isn't really a big issue. It's a big mirror to DaS
>>
>>335956234

>No one knew about Gwyndolin except his mother, who ever the fuck she is.
>>
>>335956464
Aldritch is literally Saint of the Deep. He worshipped it, and believed in steeling himself and others for its coming. He wasn't scared of it.
>When Aldrich ruminated on the fading of the fire, it inspired visions of a coming age of the deep sea.
>He knew the path would be arduous, but he had no fear. He would devour the gods himself.
>>
>>335956702
So, why don't we have Deep Watchers?
>>
>>335954280

>Dark Souls
>Lore

are you autistic?
just play the game
who gives afuck about the story or lore
>>
>>335956862
Almost everyone that plays. Fuck off.
>>
>>335954280
>people think that the Abyss == Age of Dark

Abyss is to Darkness as Chaos is to Fire. They're direct analogues.

It's worth noting that Kaathe states that "they all failed me. Every single last one of them. I'm sure that you'll be different."

Kaathe wanted a World Without Fire, NOT the Abyss. Oolacile and New Londo failed him by creating it, and reveling in it.

DaS3 draws a VERY clear distinction between the two concepts, when the Age of Dark is referred to simply as "a world without fire," while the Abyss is treated as it's own distinct entity.
>>
>>335956862
Because it's fun
>>
>>335955996
No, Gwyndolin died defending Anor Londo which is more than you can say for any diety that wasn't Gwyn. Really, AL just felt like a huge "fuck you" to me as a DaS1 player.

>Position of AL in relation to Irithyll felt forced and oit of place
>Had to kill Anri in the tomb, literally felt like I was killing the CU because of the armor
>Giant blacksmith was dead
>AL is just covered in shit with slimes and shitty deacons everywhere
>Fight Aldrich, read his name and realize that Gwyndolin died by being eaten by some stupid, literally who, unimposing pile of mud monster
>See the backside of the boss and realize Nito might have met the same fate
>Blades of the Darkmoon were devolved into a Blue Sentinels

Really, it just felt like Miyazaki kicking me in the teeth for enjoying DaS1 too much. I hated AL so much I just make new characters after Pontiff and do different builds / covenants, never actually doing AL again. Smouldering Lake had some throw backs yo DaS1 like a deceased Quelana, but in DaS3 Miyazaki just took one huge runny shit all over Anor Londo. And all for the sake of makong some retarded pile of mud to seem more imposing than it actually is.

I'm fucking mad.
>>
>>335956582
>Gwyn's tomb being used for the wedding
Anri is a genderfluid tranny. The wedding is in the same room you fight Gwyndolin in. You find the Reversal Ring in the same room.
>>
>>335956746
It only supports the theory.
>people said he will become more powerful by linking the flame
>oh vey it didn't do anything!
>fuck this lords of cinder shit, I'm going to eat some gods
>>
>>335956862
i do
>>
>>335956802
Yeah and there are people wishsing for Armageddon because they think they'll survive it. Aldrich is the one to rally the people behind him in faith of something to come, it's pretty normal for such a figure to be seen as a saint.
And this is not about him, as much as his followers, who might fear the Deep
>>
>>335956501
>You have to link the fire to be a lord of ember
No.

Did you link the fire before the ending? Yet, your a lord. Hawk wood states it and when you use an ember it's called lord of Cinder mode.
>>
>>335956842
We do
>Repulsive creatures of the deep are sure to attract the foolish, but the cathedral knights are prepared to meet such intruders head on with their more than ample might.
>>
File: 4555646465564.jpg (127 KB, 654x426) Image search: [Google]
4555646465564.jpg
127 KB, 654x426
>>335957002
>Anri is a genderfluid tranny
pls no
>>
>>335954810
das2 giants are like vikings and arent the same race as the anor londo giants. the anor londo giants are just a race of dumb slaves who arent even good at fighting, they might as well be cows. das2 giants have ships, weaponry, armor, spells, are able to launch full scale invasions, have ranks, etc.

its why i think one of the dlcs might deal with the das2 giants
>>
>>335957078
>the CU didn't link the Flame yet he's still a Lord
if the CU didn't link the flame, whoever did it instead of him is the Lord of the 2nd cycle, not him
>when you use an ember it's called Lord of Cinder mode
it isn't it's called Host of Embers mode
>>
>>335955389
Aldrich is supposed to be a genuine good guy who went crazy I think
>>
I have some questions for anyone in the know, because i'm a little oblivious to "read into" lore. I only pickup what I see, and don't try to theorycraft or delve too far into things so I end up missing alot.

Who was the dead knight in Gwyndolin's chapel?
Any info on Gwynevere?
It's claimed that the Eyes of a Firekeeper are from the Maiden from DeS, does this mean all the games tie in or is that just some fanservice?
>>
>>335957159

Vendrick was pretty retarded.

>'Let's go steal shit from the 30 foot high giant muscle monsters, it'll be totally fine.'
>>
The Lord Souls are still in the Soul of Cinder, Aldrich never got to them.

Unless somehow Nito could exist without it, which I doubt.
>>
>>335957114
>(I actu)ally don't know who Gwyndolin is bc I haven't gotten very far in DS1
>>
>>335957242
>Aldrich
>"good guy"
>ever
no
>>
>>335957242
He always ate people. How is that genuinely good?
>>
>>335957045
So another headcanon without facts
>>
>>335957343

he only ate the bad guys
>>
>>335957196
I'm not talking about the CU, he abviouslt did based on SoC.

I'm talking about the unkindled one. Hawkwood calls him a lord. Plus you look exactly like a lord of Cinder when they power up.
>>
>>335956985
More for the sake of portraying a continuing kind of fall.
And Aldrich exists to make you feel empathy for the bosses of DaS1 and disgust for his extreme measures. Also he got the Witch too, who really suffered enough as is.
>>
>>335957392
>devour untold numbers of innocent Astora children
>"bad guys"
no
>>
>>335956985
I thought it was great. People complain about fanservice but anor londo in DS3 was like anti fanservice if such a thing is even possible
>>
>>335957461

the astora children weren't innocent
>>
>>335957439
>Aldrich ate the Witch of Izalith
wew lad
>>
>>335957242
He willingly linked the fire dooming himself to burn eternity to save world from abyss
Already better than most of people
>>
File: WopkzRY.jpg (299 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
WopkzRY.jpg
299 KB, 2560x1440
>>335957002
Anri is a sentient piece of beef jerky
>>
>>335957265
>Dead knight in gwndolin chamber
Old Fire keeper from Anor Londo in the first game.

>Gwnyevere
Three theories. She either fucked off, became the queen of lothric, or became Rosaria after losing a child (ties into queen theory)

>Eyes are from the maiden
I don't know where your getting your info, but that's bullshit.
>>
>>335957343
No that's definitely bad, I meant that in the sense that he was at first a moral person, even considered a saint, then went off the deep end and starting eating people because of some urge
>>
>>335957392
kek
>>
>he didn't Usurp the Flame
pawns of dead gods and evil kings, explain yourselves
>>
>>335957562
And what is horace then? Dried Sinew?
>>
>>335957465
It just made me feel like shit, I was seriously bummed out for a day or two after doing Anor Londo in DaS3.
>>
>>335957159
But Yhorm IS a dark souls 2 giant, he is the same height and has an anus face, but also a normal face too apparently. His soul mentioned the people who subjugated him decided he should rule them...Does that mean Drangliec?
>>
>>335957265
>Who was the dead knight in Gwyndolin's chapel?
Anri of Astora. It's related to an alternative ending where you stab him / her (their gender is the opposite of your player character) yourself in order to absorb more Dark Sigils, then usurp the Fire. Apparently some other Hollow does it in your place if you're not the one to do it.
>Any info on Gwynevere?
Rosaria and the Dancer of Boreal Valley might be her children. You get the Sunlight Princess miracles from their souls. Some descriptions of the Dancer reveal she was part of "royalty", which can refer to Gwyn and his descendants.
>It's claimed that the Eyes of a Firekeeper are from the Maiden from DeS, does this mean all the games tie in or is that just some fanservice?
I don't remember this happening. However, Ludleth apparently knew the Firekeeper there because if you show him the eyes before giving them to your own Firekeeper, he says something along the lines of "Found her, did we?"
>>
>>335957550
Never linked the flames, Hawkwood tells you he was made a LoC based on strength alone.
>>
>>335957647
>being pawn of worms
kek
>>
>>335957343
>>335957392
And he was trying to interest other people in his hobby!
>>
>>335957661
>Gwyndolin was eaten alive
>the Giant Blacksmith died
>the whole place is covered in nasty goo
I guess we can't have nice things, can we?
>>335957690
>Yhorm has an anus face
no
>>
>>335957309
Stop this "Aldric ate Nito" meme. Bones at his "tail" can also be of people he ate on his way to Gwyndolin (Silver Knights protecting him) so they aren't fully devoured yet.
>bbut Nito's sword
Gwyndolin must've obtained it somehow. Or Aldrich ate someone using it, he can't just spit out fucking sword out of him, so Gwyndolin should've git it before him.
>>
Chances of Ludleth being fucking evil?
>That skull ring description
>>
Was preak Gwyn literally the strongest entity in the DaS universe?
>>
>>335957690
>has an anus face

no he dont
>>
>>335957734
>Never linked the flames
Proof
>Hawkwood tells you he was made a LoC based on strength alone.
And?
>>
>>335957734
what the fuck does being made a Lord of Cinder through might alone have to do with Linking the Flame? All Hawkwood is saying is that you don't have to be a "good" person to Link the Flame, you just have to be strong
>>
>>335957712
Anri being in the Chapel depends on you killing the Pilgrim that guides him to Anor Londo.
>>
>>335954979
didnt know that was going to be a thing
>>
>>335957845
Read >>335956156
>>
>>335956702

The Deep is another form of Darkness, like how Chaos is another form of Fire. It's probably supposed to represent a cold void more than anything else.
>>
>>335957736
>implying that Kaathe wasn't right
shaking my damn head to be quite honest, family member
>>
>>335957898
What if you're a Lord of Hollows and kill the pilgrim in the church?
>>
>>335957934
Deep == Abyss

Darkness == absence of light/fire

the two are not the same
>>
>>335957934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjtkWZ1uCXo
>>
>>335954280

>never linked the flame
>is called LORD OF CINDER instead of heir of fire

Loving every laugh at americans that don't know basic english.
>>
>>335957816
Stop this meme.
>One of Courland's TRANSPOSED wonders. Derived from the soul of a Soulfeeder.
It only shows he indeed did have previous experience of transposing souls.

Even worse are the retards who claim that Ludleth didn't actually link the Fire. Not only does he say he did in your first meeting with him, if you kill him, he resurrects and can be heard having nightmares about burning.

Not to mention when you collect all the Cinders he literally burns away as well.
>>
>>335957734
>He was made a lord of Cinder not for virtue, but for might
Okay, just tell me
Does it mean that being weak but virtue person is enough to become loc?
Or maybe you are actually retarded? And it's just means that you just need to b powerful enough to link the flame?
>>
>>335958013
you abort the questline prematurely, it has the same effect as removing the Dark Sigil
>>
>>335957886
That is one of the prime ways to be a Lord of Cinder. See Ludleth and Yhorm.
>>
Threadly reminder of there being implications of Gwyndolin being alive while eaten (and maybe still aware of his body being pupeteered) by Aldrich.
Also Gwyn and your player characters, as well as Solaire are eternally caught in living the nightmare of being kindling fodder for the first flame. Also not even using the crowns has averted your fate in DaS2.

But maybe it created the unkindled.
>>
>>335957886
Your Soul is strong enough to extend the Age of Fire.
Its kinda like the Cursed Undead in DaS2 who had to collect all Lord souls.

>>335958013
You can't continue that quest if you kill the Pilgrim (who is transformed in an Object). You can continue Anri's quest and summon him for the Soul of Cinder fight.
>>
>>335957930
So you are retarded...
>>
>>335957821
I don't know, he got fucked in the end, while Kaathe is still around
>>
File: 160429 DS3 MAP WIP 1.jpg (838 KB, 2468x1200) Image search: [Google]
160429 DS3 MAP WIP 1.jpg
838 KB, 2468x1200
Hey /v/ posting progress on my DS3 vertical map.

Got the concept sketch all laid out and wanted to share. Still have no idea how Arch Dragon peak fits into this, but I think I got everyone else.

Still working on the undead settlement.

Thoughts?
>>
>>335957934
This entire Aldrich thing feels so poorly thought out. The struggle in the DaS universe is the Fire and the Abyss with humanity caught in the center with the literal Dark Soul. Now suddenly in the fucking final game in the series they decide to intoduce some stupid new "Age"?

What the fuck.
>>
>>335958147
yeah, and Aldrich linked the flame
>2+ weeks after release, people STILL think that you can be a Lord of Cinder without linking the fire
holy fuck this country needs to improve it's school systems to help you people
>>
>>335958146
Speaking of that quest, I've tried it a ton and anri and the pilgrim never show up at the church. Girl talks about preparing a wife for me and everything.

Only thing I can think of is I killed Wolnir before silent dude every time.
>>
>>335957845
>Proof

Not that anon, but what do you think the point of the game is? If the Lords of Cinder had already linked the flame, they would not be running about, they'd be busy getting consumed by the flame. They were made lords because they were the most powerful guys around; powerful meaning big souls which means the fire will burn for even longer. It was a preemtive move to build them their thrones; thrones they were supposed to sit on when it was time.

When the time finally came, none of them answered the call. Aldrich wanted an age of the deep sea, Prince Lothric wanted to be left alone to play vidya with his cerebral palsy brother, Yhorm had dropped the ball completely and went nuts, the Abyss Watchers became corrupted by the abyss which forced them into an unending civil war.

TLDR; You're a Lord of Cinder because you're supposed to link the flame when the bell tolls, not because you already did it. If that was the case, we wouldn't have had to go fetch them.
>>
>>335958192
>cursed undead not making a choice fucked up things even further
That makes sense.
>>
>>335958123
It's saying Aldrich was chosen due to strength, and that he lacked virtue. If he lacked virtue, he would not and did not link the flames.
>>
>>335955748
What the fuck is this trash?
>>
>>335957808
Silver knights don't have bones, they're illusions. The only knight in Anor Londo is Smough and he's dead.
>>
>>335958259
School can't teach you basic cognitive functions. Eugenics does.
And no, that's not inherently bad.
>>
>>335958239
Looks nice.
>>
>>335958402
edgy
>>
>>335958239
I was so dissapointed with the map this time. It had none of the looping the first had whilst getting rid of the random insanity of the level design of 2.
One thing I loved about 2 was the fact I knew the majority of the time Id go around a corner and not have a clue what area would be next. The Earthern Peak to Iron Keep was ridiculous but it was at least interesting.
The only time I got the same feeling in 3 was the Archdragon Peak and even then it was just for the shock of the blue sky which they swiftly got rid of.
>>
>>335958382
>tfw getting your shit kicked in by electric illusion
>>
>>335958259
The Twin princes explicitly didn't.
>>
>>335958123
He probably was just powerful enough to eat everything that was in his way to fire. Ludleth was small and weak, probably sneaked and ran past everything while losing his legs to some beast. Or Soul Of Cinder-like boss of his realm.
>>
File: 700.jpg (23 KB, 600x606) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
23 KB, 600x606
>>335955895
>each cheek is literally bigger than your head
I would kill for that booty
>>
DLC better have an option to save Gwyndolin, he didn't deserve such a cruel fate.
>>
>>335958239
looks good, Archdragon Peak is probably separated from the rest of the map
>>
>>335958476
>electric illusion

Sounds like a name for an 80's synth pop group
>>
File: 1460940897123.jpg (45 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1460940897123.jpg
45 KB, 225x225
>>335958239
Fucking nice, anon. I like what you've got going with that map.
>>
>>335958479
>he thinks that the Twin Princes are Lords of Cinder
>>
>>335958431
This is a DaS lore thread, what did you expect, especially not since we even have the SHARP GEM, to infuse things with.
Pro Tip:Never tell the weapon smith you want the infusion for yourself. It never ends well.
>>
>>335958049

Darkness = Humanity
Deep = A type of darkness distinct from human darkness

Of course they're not the same, that's what I was saying.

>>335958247

It kinda makes sense that they'd introduce something like this as a parallel to the Chaos Flame and another potential path to take to escape the cycle. I hope one of the DLCs expand on this though, it's too vague as it is.
>>
>>335957601
I read the eyes part because it says they're eyes from the first firekeeper. The first "firekeeper" was the maiden, and she blinded herself so she didn't see the horrors entwined with becoming a firekeeper.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Eyes+of+a+Fire+Keeper

Eyes occluded by wax, etc.
>>
>>335958452
I liked this more than what they did in DaS1, the game scales with you and gives you at least some kind of direction. It has Bloodbornes approach on Design where every area is a bubble which loops in itself and sometimes into other areas.
Seeing this map now is weird, first its the fall down to hell and then you accent to heaven.
>>
>>335958247
Well the opposite of fire is water in a way so I guess they were going for that thematic approach
>>
>>335958382
>Silver Knights are illusions
FUCKING STOP THIS
>The Silver Knights stayed behind in Anor Londo to defend the illusory goddess -- Silver Knight Shield
>stayed behind in Anor Londo
>stayed behind
>stayed
>behind
they're not fucking illusions people, they never left the city
>>
>>335958357
>If he lacked virtue, he would not and did not link the flames.
I raped every character in das1/2/3 and still linked fire...
>They were made lords because they were the most powerful guys around; powerful meaning big souls which means the fire will burn for even longer. It was a preemtive move to build them their thrones; thrones they were supposed to sit on when it was time.
Good theory, but we never take their souls, only ash
And if they already died once(because you know all except prince were resurected) someone else would have their souls already
So according to you, I need to believe that 4 extrimly powerful souls layed to the graves without anyone taking them, and descriptions with Ludleth lie to me about them linking fire because your heandcanon
Sorry, can't do that
>>
Does anyone else think the Yuria genuinely wanted what she thought was bet for the player character?
>>
>>335955634
THIS!
>>
>>335958617
The game calls them such. Though I agree their role is different.
>>
is there a difference between the fire fading in DS1 and DS2 and DS3?
I mean, in DS2, you don't collect the souls of past LoC like in 3. why do we do it in 3? why don't we just get seath/nito/gwyn/izalith's great souls again in 3?
>>
>>335958639
no, you've got it backward
>Darkness: an artifact of the disparity that was introduced by the First Flame. The absence of light is darkness.
>the Abyss: the Dark Soul run wild, mutating and corrupting people like a dark version of the Chaos Flame
not every shadow is a fragment of the Dark Soul like the Abyss is. The Deep is the latter.
>>
>>335958479
>never was ressurected
>Never was refered as a Lord of Cinder by anyone in the game
>woman in the church says that he needs to link the fire and become, "become" like you know IN THE FUCKING FUTURE sense, Lord of Cinder
Maybe, just maybe he never was the LoC in the first place?
>>
Where are people getting this retarded idea that aldrich ate anyone besides Gwyndolin? Where is this Nito shit coming from.
>>
>>335955310
>but I wouldn't strip her from her family and force her to dance.

Where does it indicate this?
>>
>>335958723
Except Aldritch knew what linking the flames meant and would not have done it. And Ludleth states only that he linked the flames. Hawkwoods description of Aldritch implies he became a LoC for other reasons.
>>
>>335958767
It's been linked so many times, the entire process is almost pointless.

This is a last ditch oh fuck were screwed linking.
>>
>>335958759
the only thing that calls them a Lord of Cinder is the YOU DEFEATED message. All of the characters and items in-game say the exact opposite
>>
>>335958452
Oddly enough, I felt like 2 had more personality than 3. 3 tries its hardest to be a reference to Dark Souls 1, which is something people complained to high hell about in 2, yet 2 still brought its own ideas and design to the table. The idea of kings, their Manus-fragmented queens, and the cycle of light and dark.

Then 3 somehow aped 1 and 2 and brought next to nothing new.

Disappointing tbqh
>>
>>335958723
You put their bones on their thrones then link the flame yourself; you already absorbed their souls, just check your inventory. The fact that you got their souls at all means they hadn't linked the flame before, because they would all have been consumed by it. I don't know why or how Yhorm, Aldrich, and the Abyss Watchers died, but it's clear that none of them linked the flame beforehand. What Ludleth did was see that the flame had not been linked as it should have been, so he made himself a Lord of Cinder (see; the light version of Firelink Shrine) to make it happen.
>>
>>335958320
Then why we habe to go after them in the first place instead of just linking the fire?
>>335958479
Because in their cycle (during which game takes places), Lothric is supposed to do it. Since he says fuck to it, Bell ressurects previous lords but they to say fuck it. So you come into game to do Lothric's job.
>>
>>335958617
>need to place Lothric's ashes on the throne to advance the game

Yeah, he is one you chucklefuck.
>>
>>335958724
londor is a civilization that lives and revels in the dark so obviously they'd want the best for you, the lord of hollows. she'd probably give it up if you asked desu.
>>
>>335958239
wtf are you doing anon? Archdragon peak is far away in the mountains, same for irithril, how the heck do you plan on doing a vertical progression of that?
>>
>it's a vati thread

kill me
>>
>>335958996
so the fire is dying?
>>
>>335959048
>game outright states that Lothric was a product of evil experiments to have the power to Link the Flame from birth
>surprised that his remains can do so, regardless of whether or not he's a Lord of Cinder
pay attention
>>
>>335958945
The model has a black skirt made of skeletons and some kind of darkness-y fabric like Nito and small gnarly roots along the tail.
Also it's GÖTTERfresser in german, as in plural.
>>
>>335958724
Does she aggro if you use Dark Hand on her while being Lord of Hollows
>>
>>335959125
Not just dying, practically dead already.

That's why when you link the flame there isn't a big whoosh like in Das, it just sort of fizzles.
>>
>>335958985
From the description of her soul

>"The Pontiff Sulyvahn bestowed a double-slashing sword upon a distant daughter of the formal royal family, ordering her to serve first as a dancer, and then as an outrider knight, the equivalent to exile."
>>
>>335958913

We're obviously talking about different things since the games use a lot of terms interchangeably. Either way, the Deep is distinct from the Abyss and Humanity.
>>
>>335958939
It says LORD OF CINDER FALLEN when you beat them
>>
>>335958382
>>335958692
I wonder why they made DaSIII silver knight bodies have ragdoll physic after death when in DaS they just disappear after being killed.

Could this be a hint towards some sort of deepest lore?
>>
>>335959037
YOU, as in the player, are not a lord of cinder. Not until you actually defeat the real Lords of Cinder and claim their souls. You put their bones back on their thrones then kindle the fire with the souls you've collected (ie, their souls). To be a lord of cinder is a job you're appointed to; the whole premise of the game is that the lords didn't do their fucking job, so like a Hollywood fixer you have to go get their coked up asses back to where they belong.
>>
>>335959295
no, it IS the Abyss
>>
... What happens when you use a Dark Hnd on a darkwraith?
>>
>>335958945
He's using his sword miracle for one.
>>
>>335959323
no, improvements in hardware

enemies disappear into mist when the From doesn't want the engine to shit itself when it tries to fling around ragdolls that are too big/complex. Hardware improves, so more enemies can be allowed to ragdoll
>>
Okay but...who was King Lothric???
>>
>>335959303
I think it was as that anon said, they were destined to become the next lord of cinder by linking the fire, but they fucked off so it was left to the ashen one to take all their ashes.
>>
>>335959345
Source?
>>
>>335958247
I kinda like the Lovecraftian feel I get from Aldrich (Who is literally an unknowable blob that devours gods) and The Deep, but yeah I agree it is way too late to be introducing new concepts into whole fire/dark thing. This is even worst since I suspect the two pieces of DLC we're getting are going to focus on The Deep and The Profaned Flame.
>>
>>335959468
Lothric was supposed to become king.

Or, maybe it's tradition that the King of Lothric always links the Flame
>>
>>335959468
Oceiros.
>>
So who rung the bell?
>>
>>335959345

But it's not. The whole game makes sure to make a distinction between the two.
>>
>>335959019
Nothing says otherwise. Quote one thing.
>>
>>335959029
DS2 lore was kinda bland.
DS3 lore... spiky. It has some great moment, but ruined by DS1 pandering.
Also, this time lore is even more confusing than before.
>>
>>335959546
Yeah, I would've gone hollow with him as king too.
>>
>>335959514
>Deep Gems and Dark gems both infuse weapons with Dark damage
>Irina has the same reaction to the Deep tome and Londor tome
>buying Deep Protection can ruin her "Firekeeper" ending, just the same as buying all of the Londor spells
>Cathedral of the Deep staff are all Abyss-corrupted, and their gear states that they fell to the Deep
>>
>>335959468
Oceiros, the Consumed King

Ocelotte is Ocerios and Gwynevere's (Rosaria) child

Ocerios is Big Hat Logan, both of their souls creatr White Dragon Breath
>>
>>335959495
But they are still considered a lord of cinder. So you don't need to link the flames to be considered a lord of cinder.
>>
>>335959575
Firekeeper. She wanted a husbando.
>>
File: qGWum8V.jpg (531 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
qGWum8V.jpg
531 KB, 1920x1080
>>335955096
>>335955895
>>335955310
would you still?
>>
>>335959643
DS1 "pandering" is necessary in this game. They tried doing something completely different in the same universe with DS2 and it was poorly received, so they ended up just doing a straight sequel.
>>
>>335959623
>quote one thing

>The two princes rejected their duty to BECOME Lords of Cinder, and settled down far, far away to watch the fire fade from a distance -- Soul of the Twin Princes

>Look not in bewilderment as I say, that long ago, I linked the Fire, BECOMING a Lord of Cinder -- Ludleth of Courland

here, take two instead

not even hard you stupid motherfucker
>>
File: brown-paper-bag-250x250.png (39 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
brown-paper-bag-250x250.png
39 KB, 250x250
>>335959779
>>
>>335959709
I don't want to live in a world where a mutated Logan gets it on with Gwynevere.
Mostly because the imagine requires brainbleach.
>>
>>335959868
>>335959779
Yep.
>>
>>335959710
I think it's an exception to prove the rule so to speak. They were essentially Lord of Cinder since they were supposed to become Lord of Cinder by linking the fire yet again, but they fucked off from their destiny and let the flame burn dangerously low.
>>
>>335959173
She never aggros you once you marry Anri.
She will simply feel betrayed and ask you what's wrong
>>
>>335959838
Ludleth probably linked the flame. He's the only guy actually sitting on his throne where he's meant to be. The others didn't; your job is to go fetch their bones and souls to make it happen.
>>
>>335959779
A comrade of mine says: if she's got a butter face, I've still a flag above my bed.
>>
Jesus christ, more Aldrich bullshit. ALDRICH IS NOT THE CHOSEN UNDEAD. HE DID NOT EAT NITO OR PRISCILLA OR THE WITCH OF IZALITH. ALDRICH MERELY KNEW ON THEM.

THE LIFEHUNT SCYTHE INDICATES HE HAD VISIONS OF VARIOUS THINGS HAPPENING, PRISCILLA BEING ONE OF THEM. CONSIDERING GWYNDOLIN SEEMS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST INFORMED PEOPLE IN LORDRAN (BEING IN ON THE WHOLE PLOY WITH FRAMPT), IT MAKES SENSE THAT BY EATING HIM ALDRICH WOULD HAVE NIGHTMARES ABOUT ALL THAT OTHER SHIT. CAN WE PUT THIS NITO WITCH THEORY TO REST NOW PLEASE
>>
>>335958993
>And Ludleth states only that he linked the flames
No, he said that he linked ifire in the past and that he was the only one who stayed behind
Never he said that he was the only one who linked flame from all LoC
>Except Aldritch knew what linking the flames meant and would not have done it
But he did
>Hawkwoods description of Aldritch implies he became a LoC for other reasons
His description only implies that Alrich wasn't very nice guy to be around(monster who kills and eats people) but still linked fire
>>335959035
Pretty sure Yhorm linked 100%
Ludleth says himself that he did
So without anything proving otherwise,, watchers and aldrich did it too
So why the fuck we even place their bones in the first place, if only thing we need is souls?
The prince, guy with most powerful soul around, never was refered as a LoC and only as someone who needs to become one by linking the fire
Aldrich ash description says that he already became LoC, before becoming disillusioned with it

Fucking 5 minutes of faiding captcha in the row
>>
>>335959838
The first means sitting on their throne. Every boss did the same.
The second means that Ludleth became a LoC by linking the flames. Whereas the Twins were born into it.
>>
>>335958556
If you look to the side from either the Irithyll Bridge or the Anor Londo Bridge (can't remember) you can see Archdragon Peak (at least the temple/dome) on top of the mountains in all it's low-res glory. It's very separated from the rest of the maps.
>>
Oceiros is called the consumed king, not because of his obsession with dragons, but because he was actually consumed by ocelotte.

You're not actually fighting oceiros, you're fighting ocelotte who took on his father's personality, and spirit.
>>
>>335958239
You're aware the entire world of Dark souls is built on top of giant arch trees right?
>>
Ludleth linked the flame because he know personally what it's like in the Age of Dark (Untended Graves)

He created Firelink Shrine as a pocket dimension
>>
>>335959960
Why couldn't THEY have linked the flame too? Ludleth is living-ish proof that you can do that and still be around after the bells toll so I don't see why not
>>
>>335959095
Irithril is not in a far away mountain.

From the Vordt bonefire you can see Anor Londo below, and irithril is below that.
>>
I wish they would touch more on the butterfly pilgrims/dark hollow sneks and why hollows are transforming into the dark sneks or the butterfly pilgrims.

I'm assuming one must mean the hollow faded into the dark, succumbing completely to the curse.

While being transformed into a pilgrim butterfly means he ascended to fire/godhood? Since usually fire also have to do with the gods and wood. The undead settlement is full of those hollow like trees, and the citizens were being sent to aldricht to be fed.

Aldritch feared the deep/dark by the description of his Soul and his cathedral was completely corrupted by it despite being their job to keep it at bay. Maybe he thought if he fed on the fire ascendants and gods, he would attain the power of fire to fend off the dark?
>>
>>335959898
Aren't they linking the fire eitherway? I mean we literally take their soul with us to the damn kiln.
>>
>>335959960
>>335960012

>having no reading comprehension
as the Ludleth quote above states, you BECOME a Lord of Cinder when you Link the Flame. That's the necessary condition to earn the title. If you don't do this, you aren't haven't earned the mantle "Lord of Cinder." This is english sentence construction 100, you should have learned this shit in elementary school
>>
What are the actual levels people are playing at? I want a full solaire with the 40+ miracles and the sun sword but thats at least a lv120 build. And to get everything I want its 135 according to the calculators. Will I ever be summoned or should I quit making this guy and switch to dex/fth
>>
why does From have such a boner for the edgelord Age of Dark fags? They get TWO endings this game, DS2 was all about appeasing them too. not every Dark Souls player is some atheist fedora From, come on
>>
>>335960058
nigger no

its just cause he was consumed by his obsession
>>
Where are niggers coming up with these horrible Aldrich theories?

>>335954625
Lord Vessel is one of the first things you see when you start the game, and its not being eaten. Firelink Shrine's bonfire let's you travel between bonfires and only bonfires. The first travel you take, doesn't take you to a bonfire. Think.

Let's add to the horrible Aldrich theories. Aldrich was a big guy that ate people and lived at Anor Londo. Who else is a big guy that was at Anor Londo, ate people and has his armor set sold by Shrine Handmaiden when Aldrich is killed?
>>
File: aQIncc9.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aQIncc9.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1080
>>335959779
>>
>>335960004
You misinterpreted what I meant. Ludleth only said he linked the flame. He said nothing one way or the other for the rest.

And no, he clearly implies that Aldritch is considered a LoC for separate reasons.
>>
>>335959998
Chill out man it's a video game.

What are you, some kind of nerd?
>>
>>335959872
I don't think anyone was mutated at the time of conception.
>>
>>335955551
What's so gruesome about getting eaten compared to your soul being burned alive
>>
>>335960112
It's the the left, shrouded in Mist, just aafter the keep.
>>
>>335959898
But people who linked the fire became part of the soul of cinder so how does any of this make sense
>>
>>335955973
I'm pretty sure Aldrich would just ooze everywhere and complain about the lack of snacks. Maybe, once you get powerful enough, he comments on how "delicious" you look.
>>
>>335960146
>he doesn't want the Age of Dark
>he doesn't want to wrest the flame from it's mantle
>>
File: 20160428191228_1.jpg (541 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160428191228_1.jpg
541 KB, 1920x1080
>>335960112
where is anor londo anon? I see the catacombs to the left but that leads way too far away
>>
Twin Princes arent both Lords, just Lothric is. Game says this even in a dialouge and not only in his defeat screen. I made a screenshot of that, i'll post it tomorrow if i want, but you people don't pay attention at all, it's like the game is contradicting itself.

Lorian is his Lapdog.
>>
So i take it the events of ds3 are going to be at least partially explained by the dlc?
Its a pretty scummy move but i guess everyone else is waiting for dlc to resolve their story these days.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
Aldrich linked the Fire at some point, either he did he willingly, or was forced / cheated into doing it. All the Lords of Cinder did, with the possible exception of Lothric and Lorian since they aren't mentioned reviving like the rest and their main thing was refusing to become a proper Lord. The thing with Yhorm, Aldrich and Abyss Watchers is that they went moping around doing their own things AFTER reviving. They all literally rose from their graves according to the opening video.
>The first time you meet Ludleth he says "I linked the Fire, becoming a Lord of Cinder" = to become a Lord of Cinder one has to link the Fire. Ludleth himself not lying is an undisputed fact due to him seeing nightmares about burning if you kill him, warp somewhere else and back to find him revived and crying out in his sleep.
>Aldrich and all the Lords of Cinder go into flaming Ember form in their second phase
>>
>>335960138
No. You become a lord of cinder when you burn together with others to fuel the flame. Linking the flames is one way to become a candidate. Strength of soul is another.
>>
>>335960248
Yeah, the last I've seen of Logan was him only wearing his hat and staff
In jerky mode.
After going insane...
>>
>>335960004
But if they all linked the flame, why are they still around in any shape or form? When you link the fire, you're literally burned up. Your body and soul is consumed to feed the flame. You can see that people's bones can be used to kindle bonfires thanks to the Undead Bone Shards.

"Undead bones that yet burn.

Cast it into the shrine bonfire to boost the recovery provided by the Estus Flask.

The bonfire's cinders are the bones of Undead, and a bone that still burns is a fresh cinder indeed. Before feeding upon death, one must first pray to it."
>>
>>335960110
The intro says that the Bell at the shrine woke the lords of cinder from their slumber as previous lords who linked the flame, but they were just resurrected and didn't wanna kill themselves again (except for Ludleth) so they bailed on the shrine and went to their respective homes.
>>
>>335960305
Right on the left of that screencap, the area covered in clouds. You can see the towers
>>
>>335960316
>Game says this even in a dialouge and not only in his defeat screen
It doesn't
>>
>>335960367
no retard, stop misinterpreting Hawkwood's dialogue, Aldrich linked the fire
>>
>>335960316
There isn`t huge difference since their souls are merged.
>>
>>335960096
To steal your souls as a soul leecher.
>>
>>335959029
The best way Ive worked out to describe it is the new star wars versus the prequels. The new star wars film was good but it will never be as iconic as the first since most of the ideas are copied straight from it and it played it too safe.
Then theres the prequels which made some mental decisions and are objectively worse films but tried new things and are extremely unique which gives them a certain charm.
>>
File: [ SINATRA ].gif (2 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
[ SINATRA ].gif
2 MB, 540x300
Where did Sulyvahn learn his magic?
>>
>>335960305
You're missing something on the left, thats why.
It's a bit cloudy, too
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.