[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is he so great? Also Advance Wars thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
File: Olaf.jpg (12 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
Olaf.jpg
12 KB, 188x268
Why is he so great?
Also Advance Wars thread
>>
File: flak.png (4 KB, 128x160) Image search: [Google]
flak.png
4 KB, 128x160
>>335950262
What? That Santa looking guy? He ain't so tough!
>>
>>335950262
>you will never fuck a cosplayer dressed as Olaf
Why even live?
>>
>>335951056
>You will never play a new AW game
>>
>>335950262
Olaf was a great CO in the first two games.

Not so much in DS due to the balance of that game.
>>
>>335952829
at least he isnt Max
>>
How the motherfuck are you even supposed to like evn FUCK beat that bitch little loli BITCH FAGGOT I mean she just keeps spitting out crazy ass tanks and shit and I can never hold that center location. its so gay I hate fucking anime you faggots
>>
Jess was pretty good in the DS version's single player for hard mode. Shame you only really get to utilize her so fucking late into the game on AW2.
>>
I liked DualStrike the most.
Am I wrong for holding this opinion?
>>
>>335953485
its your opinion dude
But this is internet so , yes
>>
>>335953485
From a competitive standpoint, I think it's the worst AW game.

If you enjoyed it, that totally fine.
>>
>>335953485
It's only wrong if you like Days of Ruin the most
>>
>>335953485
I like the gritty desert warfare that that game tries to focus on. It is an advance war take on the "war on terrorism" that was the set piece of that time which is nostalgic in a way even though the game is no older than a decade. Would have been nice to have had more emphasis on the environmental damage that the black crystals had done, and maybe have sandstorm/dust storm weather effects that make battle animations look like the soldiers are fighting in the middle of it. The Black Hole infantry would look pretty cool in such weather too since they're practically in space suits that keep them safe from the sand. Shame the ending is garbage that's easily won with Sami since Ooziums get raped by infantry/mech spam. Not that that's out of the ordinary for Advance Wars.
>>
>Iwata was executive producer of Advance Wars 2 and Dual Strike.

RIP.
>>
>>335953485
No, it's pretty neat and I like the new characters even though the balance is totally fucked and a lot of campaign mode maps are obviously made to try and make you use Jake and Rachel. Especially the final map in the game.

But fuck them I used Sami and Eagle because they were my niggas since AW1 and Sami needs that bird dick
>>
>>335954168
I really liked DS setting and I wish we could see a look at colonialism and native forces fighting against invaders.
>>
>tag team with Eagle
>move units three times in one turn
Best CO.
>>
>>335950262
there's no hope for AW unless it goes the Fire Emblem route.
>>
>>335955103
That shit takes way too fucking long to set up. You could just fuck his meter up with Sasha's market crash and he'll never get a chance to actually use his super.
>>
File: 1383971578762.jpg (177 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1383971578762.jpg
177 KB, 1024x1024
>>335955229
I would gladly take death before I live to see that.
>>
File: OlafPepe.jpg (124 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
OlafPepe.jpg
124 KB, 500x500
>>335955530
FE is shit
AW i supreme game
>>
>>335955530
>>335955717
Conquest is good though. I'd take an AW game like Conquest.
>>
>>335955816
>good
>with that retarded story
>terrible MC
>with many of the things in game if that dumb blue haired did something in the first place.
>>
>>335955816
Yeah, with an awful setting and cast of characters.

Advance Wars deserves no part of that.
>>
>>335955530
just admit it.
Black hole won in the end.
>>
>>335956043
>story in AW
1 had a decent premise but Green Earth went full retard, 2 and DS were "lol Black Hole's here", Days of Ruin was interesting

Most of AW is just as dull as FE's "lol dragons are here", the fun is in the actual gameplay
>>
>>335950262
Olaf, Colin, Grit

Blue Moon master race
>>
File: 42-Botes22.png (10 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
42-Botes22.png
10 KB, 512x384
>>335956409
You are forgeting Sasha anon
>>
>>335956167
If stealing all the resources of Omega Land and destroying it (in order to supply their invasion and give eternal life to their commander) in the process counts as a victory?

It's a strategic one.

They lost virtually every battle fought on a tactical level though.
>>
>>335953485
same, dude. it feels like the MvC of strategy games - fast-paced, tons of options, colorful, and broken as fuck.
>>
What was a better system

Controlling only Orange Star and fighting all factions (AW1), or controlling all factions and fighting only Black Hole (AW2, DS)?

I kind of prefer the second, but in the AW2 did it where you were forced to use everyone from each place for missions tailored to them, not like in DS where you can just keep picking Jake over and over again.
>>
The only way to revive this is to make it like words with friends on mobile. Just play a long game over the course of a week with free time.
>>
>>335955530
good thing since this franchise is straight up dead
>>
>>335955229
I really hope not. There's a billion other things they go with for AW.

Maybe a 4X grand strategy-esque game or something. Deeper combat mechanics or something.
>>
cant /v/ make a new AW?
Whit a CO that his power is that every unit explode when it dies
>>
>>335957751
That sounds good and everything on paper. but guess what we are talking about japan.Japan couldn't give even less fucks about AW in this very moment. is all FE now, only waifus and no war.
>>
I can get the theme of each of the other nations COs.
Blue Moon always seemed weird to me, we have a Texan sniper, Santa, a rich kid, and his older sister. Not really sure what they were going for here.
>>
so this also means no more Battalion wars?
>>
>>335957751
This is what I totally want.

A focus on properly allocating resources outside of battle and smaller skirmishes all making up larger scale battles on multiple fronts.

Kind of like early WWII.
>>
>>335957214
Dual Strike had colours but it did also have a heavy influence on desert warfare what with the storyline involving turning all the green into gritty deserts for miles and miles. I'd say the only real diferent colours other than sandy browns are the team colours which are all pretty bright saturation colours except for Black Hole for obvious reasons, and the sky which is obviously a blue.
>>
>>335958215
The Texan sniper was originally from Orange Star.
>>
>>335958215
they're all Russian, yo. Grit is just the odd one out.
>>
>>335958215
Blue Moon is Advance Wars version of Russia. It should be obvious by the фopмóвкa Olaf wears, hell even his name in general.
>>
>>335958367
I guess I forgot that. Time to go dig up my GBA.
>>
>>335957950
This. And knowing Nintendo, they'd fuck even that up somehow.

>>335958327
Seriously. Though I also feel like that'd take away from the traditional turn-based tactical gameplay.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (42 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
42 KB, 480x360
>>335958347
Well of course the default map is bright cheery green with sparkly blue oceans, but even in the desert maps, the sand is yellow, pipes are green, water is red. There's very little brown at all. And of course, the main focus is the lego-colored units, with the COs wearing team colors as well.

also, the way the screen lights up with blue/red when moving units and checking ranges has something to do with it. It just feels very vibrant and video-gamey, I like it a lot.
>>
>>335958853
>fuuuck this battle sucked so much compared to the other final stages.
>>
>>335952829
He's only good in DS.
>>
>>335952829
Literally got it backwards. Olaf is garbage in 1 and 2, then he abruptly jumped from bottom to high tier in Dual Strike.

>>335958853
>map that takes five turns tops
>four 10+ minute video segments
How the fuck
>>
File: Awds-grit.jpg (57 KB, 400x1000) Image search: [Google]
Awds-grit.jpg
57 KB, 400x1000
What a coincidence, I'm playing through Advance Wars myself right now.

And to answer your question, because this motherfucker is taking down everyone within a 10 square radius for him
>>
>>335959240
>>335959447
I have always seen Olaf as a mid tier CO because in order for him to do well he needs battles to be long and drawn out.
>>
>>335959878
In DS he gets a super in like day 6.
>>
>>335958509
Olaf is a Nordic name.
>>
>>335959689
my friend always used that faggot and win
I challenge him in a pre-deployed battle
He Surrender like the little bitch he is
He never ever played again
>>
>>335960190
there's no difference between those cold countries, let's be real
>>
Anyone remember the glory days of /v/ netplay?
>tfw Andy bought a cruiser
>>
>>335950262
Because he's got that jelly belly goodness.
>>
File: AW Dual Dash.jpg (190 KB, 641x556) Image search: [Google]
AW Dual Dash.jpg
190 KB, 641x556
>>335960492
>how do i play grit?
>better just spam mechs
It was magical.
>>
>>335959878

Olaf is midtier.

That being said advance wars clearly does not even make an attempt to balance anything.

Grit would be balanced if he had superior artillery and inferior direct combat, -but- he also gets +1 range on all artillery which is -fucking ridiculous-.

Sonja sucks a big limp dick if theres no fog of war but shes pretty damn good if you're playing fog of war maps.

Then theres Colin who can just flood the game with units, Kanbei who's units are basically impossible to kill as "balanced" CEO's.

Then theres shit like Hachi and Sturm, who are just brokenly overpowered, and not even apologetic about it.
>>
>Buy DS used
>Don't beat until I get AW1 on eshop
>Still haven't played DoR or AW2 because of school

One day
>>
>>335955816
Conquest is only good compared to the shit stain that was Awakening. Fire Emblem was always a shit strategy game which sold on its characters, and now waifushit.
>>
>>335960668
Colin can't flood the game with units, as he can only buy as many units as there are factories. Anyone can match Colin in sheer unit numbers.

Grit would be shit if all he had was +attack on indirects.

And no one thinks of Kanbei or Colin as balanced.
>>
File: Lash.jpg (50 KB, 450x1000) Image search: [Google]
Lash.jpg
50 KB, 450x1000
>>335960094
6 days without any advantage to his troops unless there is snow falling (and when he does get SCOP, snowfall only lasts a single day.) Other COs are better simply because they have constant bonuses for their troops.

The unfortunate thing is SO many COs are situational that DS overall is a terrible competitive game. This is why I prefer DoR in that respect.
>>
>No fan art of Lash sexually teasing Colin.
>>
>>335960912
He'll outnumber the opponent in terms of units that actually do things, as in, units that aren't infantry.

>>335961241
I'd take DS over 1/2/BW in a heartbeat. Games end much quicker there.
>>
>>335961475
Yeah, DS is a pretty fun game I will fairly say that.

Some of the scenarios got a little too crazy for my liking though.
>>
>>335961241
>6 days without any advantage to his troops unless there is snow falling
It doesn't really matter. There is like two COs whose d2d bonus matters in the first 6 days.

(and when he does get SCOP, snowfall only lasts a single day.)
His SCOP isn't good because of the snow.

>Other COs are better simply because they have constant bonuses for their troops.
Except hardly any COs have good d2d bonuses.
>>
Do we have a Mednafen game going? I just popped into the thread.
>>
>DS
>every CO in the game is above average
>>
>>335951056
You'll never find a cosplayer dressed as Olaf.
>>
>>335963263
I don't think there's been a mednafen game since november.
>>
>>335955530
Sasha was the fucking best.
>>
>>335963416
one time a friend i wanted to dress as olaf and grit
He was fat and wanted to be grit and i am not fat so i cant be Olaf
>>
>>335955717
No. Fucking no. Fucking cancer. Kill yourself, frogshit. Leave AW alone.
>>
>You will never be sexually teased by Lash.
>>
File: THE FLAK ATTACK.png (50 KB, 738x520) Image search: [Google]
THE FLAK ATTACK.png
50 KB, 738x520
>>335960492
You mean from a few months ago? Yeah, I remember.
>>
>>335950262
papa
>>
>>335962352
>It doesn't really matter. There is like two COs whose d2d bonus matters in the first 6 days.
Two? who are these COs? Also CO effectiveness can vastly change due to the map being played on.

>His SCOP isn't good because of the snow.
Doubling fuel cost for the enemy plus the offense and defence bonuses because of the snow aren't good?.

>Except hardly any COs have good d2d bonuses.
What do makes for a good day to day bonus? Remember some COs are outclassed simply because of the map being used.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.