[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EarthBound is a great game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: Earthbound.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1540) Image search: [Google]
Earthbound.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1540
No seriously it's amazing

>unmatched atmosphere
>wholly unique
>a bizarre adventure with varied scenarios
>great visual style that's funky and pleasing to the eye
>absolutely fantastic music
>no random encounters
>instakill weak enemies shaves off tedium
>rolling HP system adds tension to fights
>chock full of "that crazy moment"

It's such a goddamn treat to play over and over. There's a reason every indie game these days is trying to capture its style more than 20 years after it came out.

MOTHER thread?
>>
File: comfy.png (71 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
71 KB, 900x900
bump
>>
>>335948385
the department store and gold mine suck and are the #1 thing stopping me from replaying, along with the 1/128 drop rate items
>>
Earthbound is a fantastic game.
>>
>>335949669
It's not as bad as you remember it.

The department store is 10 minutes long (literally like four battles) and the moles dungeon was funny as fuck
>>
>>335949953
>and the moles dungeon was funny as fuck
>gigantic ant used paralysis
>funny
And the last time I played was last year
>>
Is EarthBound /v/core? Like is it up there or close to the likes of Deus Ex, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Super Metroid?

I'm just trying to breathe life into this thread tbqh
>>
>>335949669
you don't really need the 1/128 drop rate items though

>>335950161
it's fanbase makes /v/ cringe so not really.
>>
Mother 3 was better in almost every way
>>
>>335950273
>you don't really need the 1/128 drop rate items though
while ness and paula have alternatives that are just as good, poo and jeff do not
>>335950386
this
>>
>>335950273
>it's fanbase makes /v/ cringe
Secondaries who watched a Letsplay after hearing about how epic [insert latest indie game inspired by EarthBound] don't count as the EarthBound fanbase.
>>
>>335948385
>>>/vr/
>>
>>335948385
It's not that good.
The music is cute, but that doesn't make up for the boring been-done-a-billion-times-but-better battle system. It might have been a novelty on the NES but I expect more of the Super Nintendo
it's only liked because it's easy, like FF3 and Chrono Trigger
>>
>>335950386
Not really.
++better gameplay: buffs matter a lot, items matter a lot, rhythm combos

-inferior music
-inferior atmosphere
-inferior pacing
-inferior graphics
~feels like a personalized story instead of a globe-trotting surreal adventure (matter of personal preference, I prefer the latter)

I do appreciate that the two games are so different though. I really like it when games in a series have different styles or feels which also eliminates all 'should I skip x' questions. EB/M3 and the MGS series come to mind.
>>
>>335950386
i loved Mother 3 as much as 2 but the last battle feels kinda tame compared to giygas

>>335950479
>while ness and paula have alternatives that are just as good, poo and jeff do not
poo is still great for PSIs and healing at the end of the game, and the Gaia Beam is just a tiny bit better than the Moon Beam Gun
>>
File: earthbound review.png (278 KB, 1895x855) Image search: [Google]
earthbound review.png
278 KB, 1895x855
>>
File: hold the fuck up.jpg (30 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
hold the fuck up.jpg
30 KB, 400x384
>>335950804
>-inferior music
>-inferior graphics
>>
File: zach-cry.gif (495 KB, 250x195) Image search: [Google]
zach-cry.gif
495 KB, 250x195
>>335950386
You're not wrong, it's just that it's not the one most people played when they were younger.

>tfw 2006 was 10 years ago
>>
Why do people act like EB's encounter system is better than random encounters when there are many times where battles are unavoidable?
>>
>>335951074
Because you can dodge enemies and do the leave then enter trick to get better enemy spawns
>>
the battles are boring as fuck literal shit tier game
>>
>>335951074
>see enemy on edge of screen
>walk a few steps back and then forward again
>enemy gone

Hurr

I figured this out when I played the game as a kid, I think one of the hint moles even tells you.

Also, Chrono Trigger had legitimate forced battles because the each fight is scripted based on if you step in the trigger area.
>>
>>335951294
What's your favorite RPG little guy?
>>
>>335951374
RPGs are terrible
>>
>>335951330
>>335951249
>department store
>ride up escalator
>unavoidable (without savestates) battle commences

>ufo/robot enemies that move faster than you
>>
>>335951443
i'll give you the escalator, but the only time i remember being forced to fight ufos was when i was in lumine(?) hall and peaceful rest valley because they're tight areas, other than that you're usually fairly far away from them
>>
File: 1458602979024.jpg (33 KB, 328x277) Image search: [Google]
1458602979024.jpg
33 KB, 328x277
>Witcher 1 has clunky combat but great writing and atmosphere; people love it
>Morrowind has clunky combat but great atmosphere and world-building; people love it
>Deus Ex has clunky stealth and gunplay even by 2000 standards but great writing, open-ended missions and atmosphere; people love it

>EarthBound has simple ombat but great atmosphere and music, but it got too popular because of the indie game wave so way more people shit on it than two or three years ago

Everyone who does this is a contrarian of the highest order
>>
>>335951443
It had to be that way because it's far and away the shortest dungeon in the game. You only have to fight those three or four fights and you're at the boss. If you die you're barely losing progress since it's so brief.
>>
File: og-mother-4-game.png (12 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
og-mother-4-game.png
12 KB, 1200x630
So will it be good /v/? It was having some development problems, so I'm glad their sticking true like the other games
>>
>>335950697

It's a great game, but the appeal is not in the battle system. Things like the sound design, graphics and writing.
>>
>>335950479
>>335950829
the heavy bazooka is better than the gaia beam anyway. only reason to equip jeff with a weapon is for instakill checks
>>
I can't stand earthbound.

Mainly because it feels way too slow.

I wasn't able to go past the first 'dungeon' until I emulated it and played on 1.5X speed, which made it feel bearable.
>>
>>335950386
I'd have to say this is comparing apples to bananas, two great experiences that definitely innovated in different ways. Mother 3 was a fantastic story, while earthbound was a fantastic adventure
>>
>>335952562
is your favorite game f-zero by any chance?
>>
Reminds me being a kid and travelling around constantly with my family, I play it every summer.
>>
>>335952223
i actually don't mind it being called mother 4, itoi and nintendo have no plans to release another game although people like to tell themselves they do, also it being made by fans is the logical conclusion to the rabid fanbase
>>
>>335953759
Contra: hard corps, F Zero GX, and Symphony of the night.

Why?
>>
>>335954251
i think you may be living life a little too fast anon
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.