[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Nintendo Doomed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15
File: sadbedpepe.png (87 KB, 684x576) Image search: [Google]
sadbedpepe.png
87 KB, 684x576
Unlike previous generations where their hardware had lackluster sales (like the Nintendo 64 and GameCube), they were buoyed by their handheld sales.

However, during this generation, not only was the Wii U their worst selling home console by a wide margin, but the 3DS is their worst selling major handheld (its at around 60 million as of the latest earnings report), and the handheld market in general has contracted big time.

The GBA which Nintendo aggressively tried to kill ended up selling over 80 million, same with the PSP which was up against the DS juggernaut.

Now going forward, Nintendo has a much smaller existing handheld gaming market. The Wii U is at around 12 million sold. The GameCube sold around 22 million, while the Nintendo 64 did 33 million.

Unlike most of the young fags on this board, I actually remember the hype for the Nintendo Wii even back before anything was shown for it (in 2005). The Wii hype actually exceeded that of the PS3 in E3 2006, and was the most highly sought after console during 2007 (and probably 2008).

By comparison, there was virtually no hype for the Wii U, and for the NX there is marginally any. Its like all avid Nintendo fans pretty much retired from gaming after the Wii generation or became retro fags like me.
>>
File: bszelda.jpg (114 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bszelda.jpg
114 KB, 640x480
Bumping my topic.
>>
>>335933962
there is no hpy because they refuse to show shit about the system. and with the wiiu bullshit most people is sceptical about their new console. I still think they are going to try to sell us another fucking gimmick with obsolete hardware and party games.
The moment they show us something worthwhile and us they are going to make games for it i will be hyped
>>
>>335933962
>implying remembering something from 2005 makes you an oldfag
But really, Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Nothing that drastic will happen No matter how badly want we want it to
It would take a HUGE fuck up for Nintendo to be "doomed"

IMO, Nintendo's biggest problem is that they're completely disconnected and has no idea what their own fanbase wants.

They keep trying to make something "innovative" but it usually ends up being gimmicky or useless. It payed off with the Wii and the DS, but it hasn't worked for them recently.

Personally, I hope they fuck up a lot because they deserve it with how shitty they've been lately
>>
Yeah well. I know generally speaking, less and less consoles sell with each generation.

But this time, Nintendo actively fucked up. They can blame only themselves for the lack of Wii U hype and sales, and it will have repercussions on the NX.
>>
>>335935391
>It payed off with the Wii

For them yes -- not for their consummers
>>
>>335935585
I still don't know why they cut off support for it before the Wii U was even out
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 468x527) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 468x527
>>335933962
Post yfw one of your favorite game franchises is owned by Nintendo

>Metroid
>>
>>335935585
The Wii wasn't as good as the GameCube was, but its still under-rated. Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, (the last original FE game), Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were all great. Too bad it had a lot of shit mixed with it (see Skyward Sword, Other M, Smash Bros. Brawl, Animal Crossing: City Folk). It also had like no major third-party games despite having the largest install base last generation.
>>
File: 1442757534511.png (254 KB, 757x796) Image search: [Google]
1442757534511.png
254 KB, 757x796
Depends on how they handle game development going forward.

I blame complacency for this gen. The DS and Wii had big new ideas in software and hardware that got people excited, this gen the had a more powerful DS and a home DS with no new software ideas to get people excited.

They need more games like Splatoon and less like 3D World.
***Also listen to fans on old IPs, no more shit nobody asked for like Triforce Heroes, Federation Force and Animal Crossing amiibo Festival.***
>>
>>335934396
>>335933962
We already have at least one other NINTENDOOMED!!! thread going. There usually is at almost all times of the day. Read the catalog before you post FFS.
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>335935901
They had a 100 million userbase to work with. Even if half of them were casuals, you still had an active userbase that was probably twice as large as what the Wii U's userbase is now. Nintendo kept making games for the Famicom and Super Famicom after the Super Famicom and Nintendo 64 were out, yet the Wii with its far larger install base was dead after March/April 2012 in terms of first party support.
>>
Countdown until ignorant fucks start posting about how they're looking forward to Nintendo going third party.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 667x773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 667x773
Nintendo is the most schizophrenic company I've ever seen. One minute they're producing home runs like Splatoon then the next shitting out Power Smash and Amiibo Festival.
>>
>>335936490
The last Nintendo home console I owned was the GameCube and I'll never get another.

I like their handhelds though
>>
File: decrepitwojak.jpg (19 KB, 430x384) Image search: [Google]
decrepitwojak.jpg
19 KB, 430x384
>>335936776
The only current gen console I own is the 3DS. Although among last gen consoles, I only got the DS, PSP, and Wii. I am hoping I will at least have one more 3DS game to look forward to before that system stops getting support.
>>
>>335936187
>Also listen to fans on old IPs, no more shit nobody asked for like Triforce Heroes, Federation Force and Animal Crossing amiibo Festival.
This is exactly their problem.
They never listen to their fans
>>
>>335936950
Damn, I actually feel bad for you anon

Planet Robobot looks good. If you like Kirby that is
>>
File: decrepitpepe.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
decrepitpepe.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
>>335937312
Last Kirby game I bought was Return to Dream Land back in 2011. I don't need to shell out $40 for a handheld Kirby game, and aside from that part of Return to Dream Land's charm was that it was a game in development hell since 2005 that actually managed to turn out to be good.

Considering the NX is not releasing this year, I think there is a good chance there is 1-3 unannounced 3DS titles that will be shown at their Digital Event in mid-June.
>>
>>335933962
>Is Nintendo Doomed?
No. I won't bother reading your blogpost. You are just getting caught by the general paranoia and shitposting of the last days.
>>
I think one of Nintendo's issues this generation was their naming. The "Wii U" name confuses those 10-year-old's parents, making them wonder why their kid wants a $400 upgrade to the Wii that already cost a solid chunk a few years ago. Same with the 3DS: the parents think it's just a 3D DS; it's the same thing but gimmicky. Parents won't buy them.
>>
I honestly play more melee than any other nintendo game.
>>
>>335936125
I liked SS a lot
To me it always felt like the Wii was the last console that had lots of mid budget and weird games, nowadays it seems that we are stuck only with AAA titles and indie stuff, with everything in between almost non existant or just left in some regions (Japan, mostly). Wii had fucktons of good games that didn't appeal to the masses, I don't even know how well these titles did
>>
File: 1459988881465.png (690 KB, 1920x1386) Image search: [Google]
1459988881465.png
690 KB, 1920x1386
>>335933962
They better start selling more on-disc DLC locked to toys.
>>
File: dy1P5qs.gif (45 KB, 306x299) Image search: [Google]
dy1P5qs.gif
45 KB, 306x299
According to /v/, Nintendo is always doomed
>>
>>335938043
Didnt we hate memes? I mean you are right but do you have to post your opinion as a meme?
>>
>>335937905
I feel that was one of the strengths to the Wii as well. Wii felt like an outpost to the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation more than the HD twins, and that's probably why I liked it as much as I did.

The closest console to that of this generation is probably the 3DS, unfortunately, but even then the second half of its life was just Nintendo software and animu shit.
>>
there is no third party library anymore, no one even bothers making games for movies or shows on a handheld and wiiu can't sell on graphics alone, which is the go to standard now

no body utilizes the gimmicks because the dev process is still built around traditional button games and honestly the layout never worked to begin with

every major player is obsessed with working their their own series like it was a baby, so we end up with overpersonal crap like other m and no new series

the casual crowd they hooked with the wii didn't translate to the 3ds and lost interest by the time the wiiu came around

nintendo needs to drop hardware development, their strengths lie in franchises and production value
buy up sega and sic the new blood on their old stuff, churn up a powerful base in solid retro games, then put out major experimental releases with the easy money
>>
>>335933962
They have a fuckton of assets and capital, they can survive a generation of big losses and still survive. Even if they lose horribly they can easily go full 3rd party like Sega and do very well.

They aren't going anywhere
>>
>>335933962
Didn't read your post. No.

They're just getting started with next gen. They're pushing away from the standard format of doing things for the past two decades (release a new system for the holiday). They're ignoring E3 because we should all know by not that isnt a special electronics expo anymore. There is nothing coming out this gen that's impressive so there's no point in sinking money into another cosplay convention.

No Nintendo system will ever surpass Wii and DS numbers for a while.
>>
>>335938804
>nintendo needs to drop hardware development, their strengths lie in franchises and production value

No. It would be fucking horrible. Nintendo has been responsible for almost all major console hardware innovations since the gaming console crash. Without them, none of Sony's, Microsoft's or Sega's consoles would exist as they do today, period. The directional pad, shoulder buttons, integrated analog stick that actually fucking works, gyroscopes, touchscreen integration etc... you wouldn't have your cherished Dual Shock without Nintendo.

Imagine if instead of innovating, console manufactured just cloned the NES controller or the Atari joystick generation after generation. That's the kind of reality you're going to get if Nintendo goes out of the hardware business. You can just forget console gaming having a future outside of the same fucking recycled gameplay forever and ever, never evolving.

I don't want that, and neither should you.
>>
I think the NX is make or break for them. They can't recover from another flop, they will be completely irrelevant at that point

Everyone is going to be watching the NX very closely. I wish we knew what the fuck it even is already. I wonder if Nintendo is actually getting cold feet. Public reaction to the unveiling will basically determine whether or not the NX is a success, and by extension, whether or not Nintendo leaves the hardware business.
>>
What's with a large chunk of the Internet pretending that Nintendo is literally the devil and that they fucked your mom and killed your family afterwards? Ironically, the /v/ threads recently have been fairly balanced, but social media? They're going all in.

I just feel sorry for Nintendo. What did they do to deserve this?
>>
File: 1384661766148.png (161 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1384661766148.png
161 KB, 400x300
nintendo is best when they're leveraging new hardware to pioneering novel and innovative approaches game design

hardware advances directly serviced the need to push design farther. zelda's battery-backed save enables a much richer, long-term experience befitting a home console. n64 analog stick provides the degree of fine control necessary to smoothly navigate a 3d environment. even the straightforward power increase from nes->snes let them dramatically expand on existing formulas to fully realize the intial visions.

the gamecube was probably the last time they were able to do this. since then, hardware's been advanced enough, control systems are robust enough and game design has progressed far enough that there's no room for them to be the pioneers anymore.

everything since the DS has been an attempt to force ^their ideal cirumstances, but it never works, because they get cause and effect mixed up. their heydey was when they had interesting game design needs and built hardware to support them; as opposed to now, when they're building hardware and hoping that game design will show up to support it.

it's why you get their peculiar combination of incredibly conservative retreads and point-missing gimmick-fests -- with no idea how to move forward, they either tread water by repeating financially safe formulas or fail to invent interesting problems to justify the solution they built.

if the wii didn't have a couple of years as a fad with the casuals they'd be just as fucked for all the same reasons
>>
>>335933962
zelda u will be my last nintendo game in my last nintendo console
>>
>>335940034
/v/ is a Nintendo hugbox

Games media has been anti-Nintendo since Nintendo doesn't pay the bills. Companies like Sony, MS, EA, Activision-Blizzard basically fund games media publications like glorified advertisements. They run positive buzz pieces and skew review scores, and in turn they get lots of money for it. Nintendo doesn't pay them shit. Nintendo thinks they're bigger and better than everyone and they don't need advertising. In turn, games media runs negative shit against them like a "fuck you too" type of deal
>>
>>335939545
>implying people want innovation

These are the same people who say Nintendo games are trash and only children should play them but they can't wait for Nintendo to go 3rd party so they can buy those games.

These are the same people who say wagglan is stupid and unecessary, but they're so hyped for their "VR" head sets with their NOT waggling controllers.

The best thing Nintendo has done so far is ease into mobile as its something they've been working on for years (doesn't anyone remember the Gameboy cellphone patents?).

I kept saying for the last two years that the wii u is not competing with ps4 and xbone directly. It is a hobbyist console for people who like pure video games. Though the wii u isn't selling 100 million units, as long as there is a profit then the project isn't a failure.

I suggest people pick up a Nintendo history book to take a look at their 100 year business practise.
>>
>>335940060
>the gamecube was probably the last time they were able to do this. since then, hardware's been advanced enough, control systems are robust enough and game design has progressed far enough that there's no room for them to be the pioneers anymore.
Why do I get the feeling people have been saying this since the SNES?
>>
The only thing that can save Nintendo is if one of the NX's release titles is a Splatoon H-Game
>>
>>335940060
>the gamecube was probably the last time they were able to do this. since then, hardware's been advanced enough, control systems are robust enough and game design has progressed far enough that there's no room for them to be the pioneers anymore.
Fuck off. The gamecube was absolute shit. The Wii's library shits all over it.
>>
>>335933962
>literally including the word "doomed" in the title

top jej
Yes Anon, I'm sure THIS time they are really doomed.
>>
File: australiatrollclass.jpg (189 KB, 379x395) Image search: [Google]
australiatrollclass.jpg
189 KB, 379x395
>>335940737
How?
>>
if you look at console sales, people have been less interested in nintendo home consoles since the n64 days, the Wii was an outlier, the Wii U continues the trend of their home consoles selling less and less
>>
>>335942670
All console sales are slowing.

Take into consideration that Nintendo numbers have dropped because there are other systems to buy.

I'm sure in at least 70% of American homes there is at least one video game console.

Console hardware is being phased out by tablets and phones. It's difficult to sell another box these days when the TV or your roku can play "games".

Vidya is in difficult times since last gen when third parties literally tried to milk and bleed everything dry.
>>
>>335934874
They're doing the same strategy they did with the Wii U with the NX. show nothing until its almost at release, and then we'll be all confused, and then launch with no games.

At least the Wii was hyped way before when we knew it as "revolution". which turned out to be a huge disappointment. but the gimmick sold well.

Wii U had no real gimmick other than being a home console DS, and NX seems like it will do the same, but ditching the handheld becasue Nintendo might not even be able to afford 2 lines of game systems.

Nintendo is fucked if NX flops.
>>
Nintendo has such a dedicated fanbase along with some of the most iconic franchises and characters in all of gaming, that I don't see them going away any time soon.

>>335943819
>All console sales are slowing.
I'm not surprised considering how disappointing this gen has been so far especially compared to last gen both in terms of game selection and hardware capability.

>Console hardware is being phased out by tablets and phones. It's difficult to sell another box these days when the TV or your roku can play "games".
If consoles are going to be phased out, then at least replace them with PC. It's hard to imagine phones or tablets replacing consoles due to the type of games played on them.
>>
File: I Just Dont Know Anymore.png (36 KB, 872x625) Image search: [Google]
I Just Dont Know Anymore.png
36 KB, 872x625
>>335933962
>mfw Nintendo is doomed threads hourly unless they have a strong NX launch
>no matter what I'll have to see a ton of these threads till March 2017
Why do I stay on /v/. I've been here since 2007 and I'm turning 29 next week.
>>
>>335944541
Except Yakuza CEO said the march launch is so there are games.

I think wii U had Twilight Princess, Wii sports, Red Steel, and Excite Trucks for launch and that was good.

>>335944578
Phones are getting stronger and faster, but the battery limitations make them almost useless.

Mini PCs are difficult because you either get Windows 10 which nobody wants, Linux which nobody can work, or Apple which no sane person would want.
>>
File: wojakpepecarfeelz.png (108 KB, 630x686) Image search: [Google]
wojakpepecarfeelz.png
108 KB, 630x686
>>335943819
People are in denial about the dedicated video game console market being in decline since most of the decline has happened only with handheld gaming consoles and super casuals (the people who bought the PS2 and Wii). The total amount of home consoles sold this generation will be lower than what was sold with the last two generations (PS2/XBOX/GCN/DC = over 200 million) (Wii/PS3/360 = over 270 million).

The total this generation so far is around 60 million (35 million PS4s, 12 million Wii Us, 12-15 million Xbox Ones). This generation will probably finish around what the PS1/N64/Saturn did (around 150 million). That's a big contraction. On the handheld side things are even more grime, both handhelds combined in their sales probably will sell less than even the PSP's LTD.
>>
>>335944924
So Wii had a port, and some mediocre games that weren't reviewed well.

Wii success was solely on Wii Sports and the media hype on non gaming sites and tv, like CNN.

NX will have none of this, and the only game we know it will have is ,again, a port of Zelda. Its not looking good.
>>
Look at it this way if Nintendo dies we can start getting some Zelda and Mario titles on consoles that matter
>>
>>335945776
that will literally never happen.
>>
>>335945776
>Look at it this way if Nintendo dies we can start getting some Zelda and Mario titles on phones

Corrected that for you, and for free. You can thank me later.
>>
>>335945346

This first and foremost. Nintendo dying is part of a larger trend of the dedicated gaming business dying.
>>
>>335944847

Don't forget, you're here forever
>>
>>335933962
Who cares? Nintendo has been phoning it in for years
>>
>>335945346
That level of contraction is why you're seeing this push for iterative consoles -- they are going to try and milk the existing, dedicated market for all it is worth.
>>
>>335945346
I am actually not in denial about this at all, but I am confused. Why would they be on the decline if the technology keeps on improving? Are you really telling me that mobile gaming is killing dedicated consoles because if so, I don't see why that would be happening. Mobile games can never be complex because they are on fucking phones. Surely, this should not conflict with the demand of dedicated consoles.
I guess I'm overlooking something
>>
>>335944847
I don't think Nintendo is doomed, I just think they're irrevocably shitty now. Delaying the Wii U's one remaining decent (maybe) game to 2017 to launch it on the NX, then not showing the NX at E3, is just the biggest dick move ever.
>>
>>335947350
Ding ding ding.

>>335947587
The decline has not effected the dudebro crowd or hardcore gamers yet, that is why you see no contraction so far. The market that played handheld games and super casuals are now mostly gone (they play on mobile now sparingly).
>>
>>335947587

Because computers are expensive for the amount of talent and machinery needed to create them.

If the technology improves to the point where you can get a phone, which can rival or even surpass last generation handhelds and give you a similar experience on top of being able to make calls and receive them vs a current generation handheld that can only play games, most people will choose the first option except for the most dedicated.

The future of most handheld games is the App store for iOS/Android/Windows.
>>
>>335933962
Yes. But they can make 2 more consoles if the nx flops
They are rich as fuck . because idiots continue to give them.money.
>>
>>335945346
how is the console market contracting?

Nintendo consoles have sold less and less since the N64, PS1 and PS2 sold really well, PS3 sold less because it was full of retardation, and while the xbox and GC fought for a distant second/third place, the 360 picked up the slack. Now both Nintendo and Microsoft shat the bed, and the PS4 is going to be another PS2 era style situation.
>>
>>335950708
Did you see how many consoles have been sold this generation compared to the last two?
>>
>>335950834
yes, and the PS4 is outpacing the PS3 and the Xbone is selling faster than the 360.

The wii was a freak occurrence that won't happen again.
>>
File: 1456528002739.png (327 KB, 304x410) Image search: [Google]
1456528002739.png
327 KB, 304x410
>>335945776
>>335946139
Shut up and read >>335939545
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.