[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats wrong with having "shittaste"? Doesn't that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: MOM_boxart.png (3 MB, 1532x2150) Image search: [Google]
MOM_boxart.png
3 MB, 1532x2150
Whats wrong with having "shittaste"? Doesn't that simply mean that i can enjoy more games than you?
>>
"Taste" is defined strictly by how much of a whiny brat you are when things don't go exactly your way.
>>
>>335930346
In the same way that enjoying the taste of actual shit means that you can eat more foods than I can.
>>
>>335930346
No. You are supposed to earn the acceptation of anonymous strangers on the internet.
>>
It means that if you enjoy shit, and enough people enjoy shit, then devs will lower teir standard, as for less effort and money put into a game, plebs will keep feeding them money andthey will not make quality games any more for us real gamer to enjoy.

TL;DR: Stop enjoying what I hate.
>>
>>335931563
isn't that entitlement, rather?
>>
>>335930346
I am glad I am not the only one getting tired of excessive elitism.
We arrived to a point where a game is either great or shit. This dualism is stupid as fuck.
Following this logic, we should all ignore the very big slice of games that are just average, Below or above average.
One can enjoy them and should not feel ashamed to admit it. It's sad but we, veterans of this hobby, are ruining everything with that mindset. It's really time to stop.
>>
>>335931736
Taste and entitlement go hand-in-hand, so yeah, you could say that.
>>
It's the equivalent of seeing only 1-5 when the scale goes up to 10. Everything above 5 just looks like a 5 to you. People with taste, on the other hand, can see all the way up to 10, get the full effect of it, but get nothing from anything below 6.
>>
>>335931723

This
>>
>>335932028
>veterans of this hobby, are ruining everything with that mindset
no, it's the casuals who are ruining the hobby
>>
>>335932028
OP Here. thats the way i see it too. I really had fun with a lot of games /v/ hates. like MGS4 and V, Fallout 4, Zelda Skyward Sword, and even Metroid Other M. Its funny that people can't even imagine having fun with not-near-perfect games, so that posts like these are seen as bait by everone.
>>
>>335930346
it means I don't want to talk to you, and I think we can both agree that's for the best.
>>
>>335930346
In all honesty, you're probably right.

Still, being a pseudo-intellectual already, I can't backtrack on how much I've learned of appeal and taste over the years, so I'm basically cursed to forever react with cringe and spite at whatever doesn't hold up to my standards of quality.
>>
It means you're a less critical, less discerning person, and those traits are likely present in the decisions you make outside of "what video game should I play."
>>
>>335932089
this anon fuckin gets it
>>
>>335932287
That's exactly the mindset I was talking about. This elitism, like we are supposed to be gods with supreme taste. No, pal. Casuals are the ones actually playing videogames now. Both those that we like AND those that we don't like. And having fun. Yes, non spoilered "fun". Fuck that.
We are just here, getting mad at eachother's opinions. Casuals are playing videogames. It's time to accept it.
>>335932302
Don't worry, all those new generations of kids won't repeat our mistakes. They will enjoy a wider range of games. And while we are here calling some games shit, they are playing those shitty games and liking them. And trust me, ten years from now, they will peacefully discuss those games we stupid old men are hating.
>>
>>335930346
Nothing. You're just going to get made fun of on the internet when you bring it up.

So whatever.

Other M sucked, though.
>>
>>335932875
How's the gameplay of Other M? I'm trying to add as much as I can to my Wii collection, but whenever people bitch about that game, they only talk about the story and that one scene where Samus freaks out.
>>
Other M objectively sucked though.
>>
>>335934393
If controlling a 3D game with the D-Pad and Pixel hunts sound good to you then go for it.
>>
>>335930346
If you don't hate the same things as us, you'll never fit it. That's worse than death.
>>
>>335934393
Just play it.
>>
>>335934393
It was kinda obtuse. But >>335934749 is correct, try it out yourself.
>>
>>335934681
>>335934749
>>335935002
Thanks, you guys. It's pretty cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

Even if it's shit, I can still say I played it, I guess.
>>
>>335931723
Underrated post
>>
File: 1452458743180.png (20 KB, 662x498) Image search: [Google]
1452458743180.png
20 KB, 662x498
>>
File: 874956.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
874956.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>335935201
>>
Did anyone else get fucking walled on the pixel hunts? It took me a solid hour to figure out I was supposed to be looking at the fed sign on the side of the fed ship.
>>
>>335935201
Play it, judge it by yourself and lern not to listen to internet's hiveminds.
>>
>>335934393
>How's the gameplay of Other M?
Braindead once you realize how broken the dodge mechanic is. Dull due to ultralinear and uninspired level design with almost no secrets. Switching to first-person to use missiles is counterintuitive and clunky, and even when you get used to it you never lose the feeling of just how pointless it was not to use the nunchuk. Broken up by horrible first-person scavenger hunts and over-the-shoulder tank control slow-walking sequences that are supposed to build suspense but are just obnoxious wastes of time.

Overall, merely average at its best, and it's often not at its best.
>>
>>335932089
More like seeing only 6-10.
>>
>>335936237
This
>>
>>335930346
its caused by your incurable idiocy
>>
>>335935845
What a fucking trainwreck. In one scene, there's a guy who gets killed during a monster attack and I thought I was supposed to look at his corpse. To see what killed him. Too bad everyone is blocking your vision, so you desperately try to make something work.

Turns out you're supposed to fucking turn around and not give a fuck about the guy, apparently. That was so embarrassing when it happened, fuck
>>
>>335932028
Do you write for Polygon?
>>
>>335932028
the mediocre are shit too.

all games that arent good are shit. stop playing mediocre games you oxygen thief
>>
File: 1461789068456.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
1461789068456.gif
1 MB, 371x209
"shittaste" is a myth. I used to believe it when I played consoles. Now that I'm on PC my backlog is vast, including emulation so I can try out games like Other M without paying for them. Once you fully liberate yourself you'll see someone saying "shittaste" is trying to push their specific console agenda.
>>
There's nothing wrong with having shit taste as long as you acknowledge you're playing bad games.
>>
>>335936603
No. Do you mind trying to write an actual argument?
>>
Most Games are not objectively shit or good, stop drinking the channer retard koolaid
>>
>>335937479
Your opinion on 'excessive elitism' is as irrelevant as those you criticize. Yes the way people express it is grating but your absolute 'This has to stop because I say so' argument, as if you're the arbiter of /v/, is equally tiresome.

Standards aren't going anywhere. If you want people to all wallow in their own shit taste then that's fine, just don't expect others to be dragged down with you, and don't expect them to stop because you demand it. This isn't the school playground where everyone gets a medal for trying.
>>
>>335938015
It's useless. The toxic mindset won't die for a long time. It's the usual problem: people don't get the difference between reality and personal taste. This gets worse when there is some kind of hivemind that parrot an opinion that must be accepted by every member of the group.
This is also why there are so many console wars: big groups trying to make their opinion prevail over another. It's not shilling, it's not just simple fanboysm. It's an opinion war.
>>
Just come to say this, I'm tired of Primefags, Other Mfags, and Zero Suitfags you guys ruined the fanbase and this franchise. I can't wait until Federation Force kills the Prime franchise so the series can go back to EPD and go back its roots. After Prime is dead a side scrolling Metroid will kill Other M and with the absence of Zero Suit Samus that should kill her fanbase. Metroid will be saved.
>>
>>335938348
It's not irrilevant because you say so, it's not irrilevant for the simple reason you find it irritating. It's cleraly relevant enough for you to criticize it.
I went far ahead than simply saying "agree with me because I said so". I actually explained the situation and why it is making more harm than good. When I say "It's time to stop" it's not to shove my idea into your throat, it's merely a suggestion. Stop before it's too late.

Standards change, anon. Your idea of standard is exactly the problem I was talking about. This idea that the standard is "either a game is shit or is good". No. There is a middle ground. Like for everything in life. The dualism shit/great is just good for silly internet battles and fanboy warring.
But your last period pretty much sums up this problem. See, you still talk of "wallow in their own shit taste". This is exactly what I am talking about. The shit taste you talk about is not real shit taste, sorry to burst your bubble.
This isn't high school where everithing is a competition.
>>
You could be playing better games, instead.
>>
>Doesn't that simply mean that i can enjoy more games than you?

Wouldn't shit taste also imply not enjoying actually good things, or at least not appreciating them as much as someone with not shit taste?
>>
>>335939943
What if one enjoys both "shit" and good games in the same way?
>>
>>335940028
Then I guess they would be enjoying more things but I've never met anyone like that. Usually it's just people who like shit games and don't like better ones.
>>
>>335941183
Or maybe you just have a handful anedoctal evidences.
Or maybe the "shit" games you talk about aren't so shitty as you think.
>>
>>335941524
I dunno, Other M is pretty shitty. I don't think there's much room for argument there.
>>
>>335942208
Its a great game.
>>
>>335931723
>us real gamers
>us gamers

6/10 you almost got me.
>>
File: 124243256465.jpg (52 KB, 875x492) Image search: [Google]
124243256465.jpg
52 KB, 875x492
>>335942309
>>
>>335942309
And tell me, what do you think of, say, Metroid Prime?
>>
>>335930346
I loved Other M, too bad there won't be another Metroid game that plays like it.
>>
>>335930346
shit taste only has to do with the quality of the games you like, not the abundance. It also means you don't play good games in favor of shit games
>>
>>335942896
If you had to listen to people around here, you could count the "good" on the fingers of one hand. So you will spend more time arguing than playing.
>>
File: 1445652528072.png (7 KB, 290x297) Image search: [Google]
1445652528072.png
7 KB, 290x297
>>335930346
Whats with all these "why are people making fun of me" threads up right now?
>>
>>335943058
you really can count the number of good games released a year on ne hand. Most games are pretty much copy paste jobs with a fresh coat of paint.
>>
>>335943058
Okay, what are some "good" games /v/ hates but everyone else likes?
>>
File: 1311738406746.jpg (3 MB, 2700x3600) Image search: [Google]
1311738406746.jpg
3 MB, 2700x3600
Bad taste is when you can look at a game with blatant flaws, and choose to play that when other games exist, games that are better.

>>335932028
>>335932735
Dude, fuck off to Reddit.
We aren't going to lower our standards because you want a hugbox, nobody is.
>>
>>335932735
>its 2016 why aren't you accepting of casual assholes
lol faggot, go play Sonic 06 or something, you seem to enjoy it
>>
>>335943673
Just because you think a game might have flaws, some people are willing to overlook them or not even care about them. It's in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>>335943673
shooting for something good
>>
>>335943673
>>
>>335931723
Best post in this thread.

>>335930346
Can you enjoy unpolished, flawed games, OP? Sure, you are completely entitled to do that.
But don't expect everyone else to treat bad games and their devs as if they were some special snowflake team that must be respected. Because regardless of quality. they still ask $60 USD or more depending on the country (plus tip: aka DLC) to sell these games to their consumers. And this is a fact, even if you pirate or buy on sales.

Not every game has to be perfect, because this is a subjective view and no game will ever be perfect. But "we" are consumers, and if we pay money for something, we deserve something of good quality or that at least has effort put into it.
>>
>>335943252
Newfags cannot adapt, so they want the site to accomodate to their special and unique feelings.
>>
File: image.jpg (608 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
608 KB, 1600x1200
>>335931723
AAA games have been shit since 2008, in my opinion. However, I can agree with what you mean about the quality of games. It's good to point out some flaws, but it's also good to point out the pros as well. And if you enjoyed it more than you hated it, then it was a success that can be made better. That's how we learn to make better games and improve on them. In terms of /v/, however, the way I see it is that if they see even the slightest flaw, the game is automatically considered garbage. That's the way I see it, at least.
>>
>>335943058
People exaggerate the amount of games /v/ hates. You get your uppity hipsters who shit on anything that becomes popular but they're almost always a minority.
>>
>>335943673
pls b slime
>>
What's important isn't whether or not you enjoy shitty games, its whether or not you're able to acknowledge that they are in fact shitty games.

Like the countless number of movies that fall into the "so bad its entertaining" category. Nobody is going to defend these movies saying that they're good movies and that people should stop saying bad things about them, because they're able to admit the movie's massive issues despite the fact that they're still able to enjoy them besides.
>>
>>335945020
>some people might overlook flaws
Shit like Doom 4 and Sonic 06 shouldn't be overlooked because they are objectively bad games
>>
>>335945447
Ten bucks says you're guilty of the same
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>335946817
>comparing Sonic 06, an objectively bad game that was already released with so many bugs, to Doom 4, a game that looks good, that hasn't been released, that doesn't have bugs as of yet, and merely had a beta test
You've got to be kidding me.
>>
>>335947379
Let me set up a paypal so you can pay me then.

Since I have never done a meta thread whinning about why /v/ won't stop bullying me.
>>
File: 1448136012462.jpg (13 KB, 301x301) Image search: [Google]
1448136012462.jpg
13 KB, 301x301
>having the same taste as dobson

lmao
>>
>>335931723
Devs also need money.

You can put all the time and money into an obscure masterpiece, and then you get fired. Or you are a dev that owns the game and you earn less than minimum wage and a bunch of staff that will quit to have an easier life.

You have no idea about how things are made, in general, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>335946171
Yeah, if you call a bad game a "guilty pleasure", most people won't give you shit for it. If you feel the need to act as this game's knight in shining armor, defending it from all the "haters", and deny all of its flaws, you're just being a loser.
>>
It is hard to form educated opinions on a topic when your tastes subverted by popular titles and media cash ins. One of the many veins of shit taste.
>>
>>335949394
You got it a bit backwards there buddy.Call ing a game great even though you know it's shit it's the winner's way
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.