[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time playing a dark souls game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: u-is-deed.jpg (4 KB, 288x175) Image search: [Google]
u-is-deed.jpg
4 KB, 288x175
So I just got DS3 off steam, waiting for it to download

what advice would you give to a player who has never played any of the souls or blood games?
>>
Don't get greedy with attacks. Don't rush things.
>>
>>335914662
To fuck off and check the archives other threads like this.
>>
>>335914662
>what advice would you give to a player who has never played any of the souls or blood games?

Start with Dark Souls 1 and use dsfix to unfuck the crappy port
>>
never take on a fight that's more than a 1v1, use your shield, try to backstab everything.

upgrading your weapons is more useful than levelling up, make sure to always keep an eye on how much stamina you're using.
>>
Every time I see a new DaS players, he mashes buttons as if he was playign DMC. Don't do that. Attacks register the first time, you don't need another 5 button presses before the animation finishes.
>>
remember that your stamina regenerates much slower while your shield is raised. it's important to drop your shield in between blocks. when your stamina is gone you can no longer block.
>>
>>335914770
This to be honest

It's the best game lore wise and you'll have no idea what the fuck's going on in III if you don't play 1 first

Actually still looks decent if you use dsfix
>>
>>335914762
>be like me
>sees post i'm not really interested in
>can't really add to the conversation at hand
>doesn't comment and moves on
>>
File: 20160427152417_1.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160427152417_1.jpg
389 KB, 1920x1080
>>335914991
I still like shiny armors from DaS1 best. Especially Steel set, it was so sexy.
>>
Summon phantoms for help, especially if you get invaded. The estoc and longsword are both good weapons to start with. Few things outclass them. If you get invaded and can't summon help, consider alt f4 as a means of escape. The standard light attack comes out faster than the strong attack. Mash light attack for victory. If you can't beat an enemy, shoot it with arrows/bolts outside of it's aggro zone until it's dead.
>>
>>335914662
Prepare to die.
>>
Roll into attacks.

Don't wear armor that puts you over 70% equip load so you keep the faster rolling.

Be wary of magic in this game, it's pretty bad. Don't let that stop you from trying everything though.

Don't give up. Lots of bosses or even normal enemies will take you multiple tries to defeat, and each time you get better at the game. That being said, sometimes the best way to win is to take a break and come back later.

Fully explore every area, and speak to all your npcs every time you kill a boss. There are lots of hidden things in the Souls series.

If you want a more interesting game, play Embered. Being Embered means you can summon people and npcs to your game to assist you, but also allows you to be invaded. You gain your ember back every time you kill a boss or use one of the Ember items you find in the world. You lose Ember when you die. You can tell you're Embered by your increased health and cracks of fire that appear on your character.
>>
File: hoverhand.jpg (327 KB, 905x444) Image search: [Google]
hoverhand.jpg
327 KB, 905x444
firekeepers will never love you back
>>
File: 1327371932645.jpg (390 KB, 1100x521) Image search: [Google]
1327371932645.jpg
390 KB, 1100x521
>>335914662
One thing that's mentioned a lot is try to resist the instinct to look things up, the game is mysterious and will make you feel like you're missing complicated stuff. You shouldn't worry about all that until after you've experienced the journey blind first.
>>
>>335915841
This is true for DaS1, not so much for 3

3 has broken stats and if you decide to go for a sorcery build (because you didn't look up if it's viable) you might not be able to complete the game
>>
>>335915940
Sorcery pve is perfectly viable, you get hidden body.
>>
>>335914662
big str weapons are ez mode in PvE
>>
>>335915940
Stuff and nonsense, you need no research to play through this game.

I can't speak about magic until I create a sorcerer but you can reset all your stat points so whatever you're talking about can be fixed can't it?
>>
>>335915841
That's a nice piece of art.

Where are the dogs?
>>
>>335915303
>Consider Alt-F4 as an escape

Doesn't this get you soft-banned?
>>
>>335914662
Kill the dogs first.
>>
>>335915940
Nonsense. I completed my first playthrough blind using mainly sorceries and a crystal sword. If you explore carefully you'll easily find the bellowing DG ring, sage ring, and magic clutch ring. Bring along a fire/chaos weapon for things resistant to magic and smash through the game.

GHSA >>> Crystal SS :( :( :(
>>
>>335914662

Attacking NPCs is permanent, they will always remember you attacked them. Leaving the area and coming back will not reset their hostility. Be careful what bridges you burn.

Points in Vigor are never wasted.

Try to avoid pyromancy and sorcery your first time. They aren't bad, but much more difficult for a newer player to manage the first time around.

Always try rolling past an enemies attacks instead of away from them. Many enemies will attack in succession or have long reach that will just hit you anyways if you just roll away.
>>
>>335914662
When you level up, put as many points as possible into Vigor.
>>
I just noticed the hollowing stat on my status screen. What happens when it goes too high?
>>
>>335918456

Without spoiling anything, it doesn't do anything negative. There is a way to remove your hollowing though.
>>
>>335918456
Ya go old school Hollow. No idea about the effects, I got it cured as fast as possible.

It seems to be caused by that turtle pilgrim old man leveling you up doesn't it?
>>
>>335914662
start with the first you fucking retard
>>
>>335917705
Yes, I was obviously giving shitty advice that would get OP through the game without improving his skills whatsoever
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 437x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 437x440
>>335918206
>Points in Vigor are never wasted

Any point in Vigor is wasted. DaS3 is about dodging, aka not getting hit.

Base Vigor + Embered is more than enough for a mistake or two, especially if you're not running magic and alloting all into OJ.

Your advice isn't inherently bad, but it makes no sense when put together.
>>
>>335919602

Yes, if you accept any of his "free" level ups, he puts a Dark Sigil on your character. If you die while having a sigil, it turns you more hollow with more deaths.
>>
>>335919602
Yes, hollowing can open up a questline which can give you a different ending. just makes you look uglier and lets you summon 1 less phantom for help.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 168x146) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 168x146
>mfw I wasted 20k to get the Tower Key then found out you can jump onto the roof for the Estus Shard and Silver Serpent Ring
>>
>>335918206
>Attacking NPCs is permanent
False. You can redeem yourself at the velka statue.
>>
>>335919973

For a brand new player that has never played any Souls game, points in vigor would definitely be helpful. They are going to experience far more deaths than normal, and will probably rarely ever stay embered.
>>
File: ;).png (293 KB, 579x470) Image search: [Google]
;).png
293 KB, 579x470
>>335920182
well you can't get into Bell-Tower without getting the key. dont forget to take that delish firekeepr outfit and estus ringadingding.
>>
>>335920182
But not the firekeeper soul, robes, or estus ring.
>>
>>335920182
>Tower key unlocks estus ring/fire keeper soul/patches trigger/fire keeper set/crystal lizard
Not really a waste now is it
>>
>>335920603
You can get patches in the cathedral and the lizard without the key.
>>
>>335920725
Yeah i know about patches but how would he get the lizard? I assume hes on about the jump from the tree -> lower roof but don;t you need to get onto the higher roof to drop off the side to the lizard?
>>
You should have gone for Dark Souls 1, cause 2 and 3 are equally shit
>>
Generally speaking upgrade level on your weapon will do you more good than pumping STR/DEX stats so long as you meet the requirements to use the weapon. Points in stamina are rarely wasted.
>>
>>335914991
I've played all three of them to completion and I still don't know what's going on. Lore is an afterthought for this series.
>>
>>335920841
I'm pretty sure you can go around the left side after doing the tree jump.
>>
File: 20160429141700_1.jpg (470 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160429141700_1.jpg
470 KB, 1920x1080
>>335915563
Fuck off, stop reminding me ;_;
>>
>>335920954
Go away Pat
>>
>>335914662
The advice is play DS1 first
>>
>>335920945
I think 3 is easily the best in the series
>>
Just upgrade your weapon.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.