[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst Areas in Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: Worstareas.jpg (528 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Worstareas.jpg
528 KB, 1280x720
Every Dark Souls game had that 1 area that was disliked or even despised by a vast majority of it's player base, moreso than any other area in the games. But of the three, which one is worse to you and why? Lost Izalith, Frigid Outskirts or Farron Keep?
>>
Everything about Lost Izalith is a half-finished mess.
So that one I guess.
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with Farron Keep

The Grand Archives are much worst
>>
File: 1461376840162.gif (32 KB, 205x39) Image search: [Google]
1461376840162.gif
32 KB, 205x39
>>335907479
Horsecock Valley in 2 was comfy. It's time for you to get good you literal pile of breathing trash.
>>
>>335907479
>crucie woods
>worst
If anything that speaks wonders about the consistant quality of level design. I loved crucifixion woods. Nice and open.
>>
>Frigid Outskirts

That's a funny way of spelling Black Gulch.
>>
>>335907657
The woods are great and arent included in Farron Keep

It's the poison swamp with giant goatfuckers that sucks
>>
The Demon Ruins in 3 was probably even worse than Lost Izalith. It was pretty much just a chalice dungeon but somehow even more bland.
>>
>>335907479
Frigid outskirts is the worst area ever created in a videogame. I still don't understand how the reindeers work. I dodge them with DS1 iframe values and still get hit.
>>
I was going to say Tomb of Giants until I remembered New Londo Ruins. Fuck that place.

I don't even think I completed Frigid Outskirts.

DS3 doesn't have any extremely annoying places. IrithyllDungeon comes close, though.
>>
>>335907479
FO for sure.
>>
Blighttown is the worse shit that's ever happened to the series. You couldn't fight Quelaag without having been poisoned
>>
>implying Farron Keep was bad

Demon Ruins was my least favorite area in DS3, it's essentially just a bunch of boring corridors
>>
I enjoyed crucifixion woods. Personally, I think that the initial area of cathedral of the deep is the worst area with those annoying spaghetti monsters, hyperarmor ninja bitches, random ambushes from those little creepy fuckers (especially that 1 ambush by 4 of them in that room all for a garbage soul item) and the long ass distance from the bonfire to the shortcut.
>>
>>335907784
The goat things are actually really weak, though. They can't take a hit. A wood arrow to the head takes like a fifth of their health. Just bait them into the fires if you need to.
>>
>>335907957
>Blighttown
>Not Valley of Defilement

5-3 is the mother of shitty levels
>>
>>335907723
Black Gulch isn't even remotely as bad as the faggot outskirts
>>
>>335907559
I see what you did there
>>
>>335907957

>Poison resistance is for pussies, YOLO.
>Why am I poisoned, this game is bullshit. There are literally _no_ ways to cure poison and the game warps me straight to the boss giving me no opportunity to wait the poison out before fighting her.
>Wah.
>>
Farron Keep is the worst, no question about it. Izalith is short and can be mostly skipped, Outskirts is completely optional but Farron Keep drags on, forces you to explore slowly in a swamp and can't be skipped.
>>
>>335907479
Is this the outcome of some poll or something? I haven't played DS2 DLC but I can't imagine anything being worse than Black Gulch. Also Farron Keep wasn't bad other than the fact it was a swamp AGAIN. Profaned Capital however was a complete disappointment.

>>335907957
>Find moss through the level
>Can't fight Quelaag without being poisoned
What?
>>
>>335907723
Black Gulch is only shitty because of how tiny it is.
>>
what are your favorite souls areas?

i think nothing can beat undead burg for me
>>
>>335907479
I would say blightown in DS1, but it's not that bad when you realize you can skip like 90% of the map if you know where you're going. from there then I'd say Lost Izalith, it just feels like a broken down path with enemies just thrown onto a map.

DS2 I disliked most of the game, though if I were to have to pick one area I'd probably say the bell guy's area. But that being said I didn't even get the dlc because the main game turned me off.

DS3 so far has been pretty fun, but I can't seem to get my game to stop crashing on me with random things like the knight bug and the crystal illyad sword. So I'm just waiting for a patch before I finish it.
>>
>>335907479
DS3 swamp is the coziest.
>>
>>335908252
For me personally, irithyl, Eleum Loyce (after unlocking everything) and the Painted World. Something about snowy buildings makes it fun to explore for me.
>>
I dont think das3 did any area too badly

The only complaint about farron keep I have is those grab attack fuckers with zero windup
>>
Carthus and Demon Ruins are the worst, they're just lazy chalice dungeon reskins
>>
File: 1457349249064.png (62 KB, 180x196) Image search: [Google]
1457349249064.png
62 KB, 180x196
>>335907654
>Single flat road
>Vision is covered by that fucking snow which isn't bad itself if the place was designed around it, but the game doesn't do anything interesting with this mechanic besides spawning more fucking horses
>Completly empty
>Infinitly respawning, annoying as fuck enemies
>Beacuse they will always respawn it's pointless to fight them so it's better to just run past them
>Boss of the place is just rehashed first boss from that DLC but now there is two of them at once
>No fucking good reward for doing all of this shit at all
>Whole place is just DUDE GORRILIONS OF ENEMIES LMAO to create fake difficulty
That place was garbage, just like 90% of DS2, I don't know how can anyone even defend this shit.
>>
>>335907626
This, fuck the archives
>Nonsensical layout
>Impossibly cluttered
>Cannot create a mental map
>Half the first floor is unaccessable until you get the the fifth floor.
>The roof leads to the third floor
>Actually very little distance between first bonfire and the boss, obscured by roundabout floors
>Enemy placement is abysmal
>Ithiryll knight randomly in the time-out corner
>Fire Gargoyles in the Ice Castle
>Shortcut requires shortcut you can access further on
>First floor shortcut leads to Fifth floor, then to the second
The only fun I had was battling those three fucks while fending off two invaders, it was hectic and crazy. Seriously, they should have just cut the archives out and left the final bridge to the Princes.
>>
>>335908448
irithyl is definitely one of the better areas ive ever seen in any souls game yet
>>
>>335908542
Dark Souls 2 is the best game because unlike the other trashy games, it was made for PC players first and foremost. That means they took cues for official competitive balance from MOBAs, CS:GO, competitive WoW, and Nintendo games like Splatoon and Smash Bros.
>>
>>335908025
>and the long ass distance from the bonfire to the shortcut.

Did you kick the ladder behind the first ninja? I didn't notice/use it on my first run through, but discovered it on my second. The shortcut runs past the spaghetti monsters to behind the first ninja.
>>
Everyone rags on Lothric castle but I love everything from the dancer up to the Twin princes and even ocelot
>>
File: 1437551020500-1.jpg (8 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
1437551020500-1.jpg
8 KB, 316x202
Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins together are the worst area(s) to come out of ANY Souls game, bar none.
There is literally nothing positive to be found in any of those god-fucking-forsaken areas.
I'm positive that the Chaos Covenant shortcut was added near the end of development because the developers knew how shit and rushed it was and wanted to help players NOT deal with its horseshit.
>>
>>335908754
It was for sure, I'm sure they also changed the bed of chaos to not reset every time you die near the end too
>>
>get axe or dagger
>use weapon art to scuttle through the whole swamp very quickly with ease
>becomes one of the easiest areas of the game
>>
>>335907479
Demon Ruins/Smouldering Lake are the worst place in ds3
everywhere else is fine
>>
>>335908854
demon ruins is so shit
>>
All this and no one mentions The Cathedral of the Deep.
>>
>>335907479
I like that the swamp in 3 looked and felt like an actual swamp rather than a poison floor that impedes movement.
>>
>>335907479
DS1: Izalith
DS2: Black Gulch and Shaded Woods
DS3: Demon Ruins and Carthus
>>
>>335908754
Other than bad bossfights, dragon asses and blinding lava effects, they weren't bad. It was a nice distinct style that was more memorable than having another castle or town or forest. The parts where you weren't blinded by lava and getting stomped by asses were pretty good honestly.
>>
File: 1460307463915.png (169 KB, 469x313) Image search: [Google]
1460307463915.png
169 KB, 469x313
>>335908542
They're challenge areas. Guess you just weren't up for the challenge, sissy boy. Go back to your ERP friend threads while the big boys discuss philosophy, the current PvP meta in 3, and their most recent shenanigans and self-imposed challenges.
>>
>>335909001
You hated the Cathedral?
Getting to Patches was extremely roundabout, but I loved every second of it.
Try fighting the giants one on one.
>>
>>335908718
Nah i missed the path that leads down to that shortcut near the well entirely.

It wasn't that bad really but it's the only area that comes to mind when thinking of the worst.
>>
>>335909001
One of the best levels in the series?
>>
>>335909053
I really can't remember anything about the entire area outside of Siegmeyer's questline and Kirk being a pest. When the area isn't completely shit, it's just forgettable and boring.
>>
>>335908810

Man, fuck the Bed of Chaos. I'm replaying Das1 right now and up to that point no other boss has given me as much trouble as it. Took me something around 10-15 tries to just get to that log bridge without being swiped off the arena or comboed to death
>>
Izalith. Just was boring. Boring boss, boring foes.

>>335908252

Undead Burg/Parish and places like it are always appealing for me. Tend to like those more humanoid enemies or fighting hollows. Anal Rodeo is my favorite. It was big, really great visuals, had the fantastic painted world as a side-trip and it was nothing but silver knights and black knights and those big golem things at the start. Also I think a fire demon mini-boss.

>>335907923

Didn't like New Londo ruins for being nigger-black and being hard to tell where shit was. Also spooky spooky ghosts.

>>335908537

Carthus was too damn short, Smoldering lake's labrinth is too full of shit and the Ballista outside is obnoxious. If you go up and turn it off you get nothing for it and there's no real reason to do so.

>>335909001

Cathedral's enemies were kinda boring but in terms of design, layout and size it was done perfectly.
>>
>>335909185
Just put on full havels and run into the hole, don't jump though, just fall into it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (90 KB, 951x1021) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
90 KB, 951x1021
>Lost Izalith
>Bad
>nobody hates Duke's Archives but me
I actually appreciated Grand Archives because it felt like a level, and not D'sA which was a halfassed attempt at recreating Tower of Latria.

Worst area in DaS2 was Aldia's Keep
Worst area in DaS3 was Cathedral of the Deep
Both are just empty hallways with maybe 5 enemies each.

Worst area in DeS is Shrine of Storms, no atmosphere, no fun enemy variants, you can accidentally cheese Old Warrior if you have the Thief Ring on.
Forgettable as fuck.

Worst area in Bloodborne was Nightmare Frontier, grey and brown horseshit which might have passed for a Blighttown knockoff if it had any memorable enemies or ANYTHING noteworthy besides Patches.
The college area before hand was awful too.
>>
>>335909072
Shut up dumb drake poster
>>
>>335907479

outskirts was by FAR the worst of the 3.

in my opinion izalith was actually kind of cool when you FIRST get there and are exploring, it's only after you've seen the whole area/beat the boss that you realize how small and bland it is.

farron keep wasn't really bad at all, by the time you get there you easily have enough estus to explore and find the bonfires/ways to proceed/collect treasure. poison is slow. the toxic-inducing swamp area in profaned capitol was far more annoying and it was a fraction of the size.

frigid outskirts on the other hand is literally a large expanse of nothing, with hardly any loot worth finding, borderline infinite numbers of the most annoying monster in the game, a long and dull run to the boss, and to top it off the boss is just a shittier carbon copy of the one you face earlier. just garbage through and through.
>>
File: 1460307078439.jpg (54 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
1460307078439.jpg
54 KB, 660x495
>>335909292
Name ONE (1) (uno) area comfier than Frigid Outskirts, cuck.
>>
>>335909106
>>335909146
All those thralls plus the cathedral knights and a bunch of pointless shortcuts. it really wasn't the funnest area for me.
>>
>>335907789

I thought the exact same thing when I ran through them the other day. Felt exactly like a chalice dungeon.
>>
>>335909273
i dont think grand archives mimicked the tower of latria at all, i think if anything the irithyl prison in ds3 is trying to be like the tower of latria
>>
>>335909409
Duke's Archives did.
Note the two parallel hallways with multiple floors.
>>
DaS 1: catacombs

DaS 2: catacombs

DaS 3: catacombs

oh wow an uninspired tomb with skeletons who come back alive until you kill a certain enemy. Can't wait to enter it again in the next installment
>>
>>335909273
The Crystal Caves are ass but i'm torn on Duke's. I think the level design is cool and I like the idea of having to break free from prison, but the actual enemies in the area suck shit. It's just more fucking hollows except they hit harder now and take shit for damage unless you have a Mace handy.
>>
File: polinanutshell.jpg (419 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
polinanutshell.jpg
419 KB, 1200x1000
>>335909380

hi underage child,

>>>/pol/
>>
>>335909579
Yeah I sort of agree, DS3 catacombs are weak compared to the rest of the areas. That is unless you count the Smouldering Lake as part of the catacombs area.
>>
>>335909579
>DaS 1: catacombs
Get a divine weapon anon
>>
>>335909521
i misread your original post, my bad . i have dyslexia

i can definitely see what you mean, though i still think the irithyl prison is the closest to trying to be like the tower of latria, even the enemies reminded me of mind flayers
>>
>>335909390
>a bunch of pointless shortcuts
There's quite few bizarre shortcuts, the one in Archdragon Peak is mind boggling.
>>
>>335907479

Outskirts by far. The enemies spawn infinitely on the player's location the entire time you're in the area, that is completely egregious bullshit.
>>
Best areas in each game :
DS1 : Undead burg
DS2 : Eleum Loyce
DS3 : Irithyll
>>
Poison forest.
>>
>>335908236
>I can't imagine anything being worse than Black Gulch

Frigid outskirts was probably the least fun I've ever had in a souls game. Black gulch is a cakewalk in comparison.

Frigid outskirts is basically the largest and most wide-open area in a souls game, or at least feels like the largest because there's no bonfire, you can never see where you're going most of the time, it can take 3-4 minutes of uninterrupted sprinting to reach the end, you're constantly being fucked in the ass by flying lightning ice horses, and when (if) you finally make it to the boss fog, you're greeted by a shitty copy-pasted boss from earlier in the dlc (but now there's two of them XDD) and that's it.
>>
I would go for the Irithyll Dungeons, the place was hell for me on my first run. Those fucking cunts that drain your life bar...
>>
>>335909409
You are definitely right. That is the vibe I got anyways.
>>
>>335908130
playing DeS for the first time after having played all the souls games, Valley 5-3 isnt that bad. i kind of like it. its not hard if you have lotuses. I never even encountered plague

then again I liked Blighttown.
>>
People said the DS2 DLC was really a lot better than the base game. now that I'm playing them it seems like its just gank squads of like 5 mobs, is it really this shitty or am I doing something wrong.
>>
>>335907479
Are you shitting me? This is a competition?
Frigid Outskirts is literally designed to piss anyone off. Even if you know your way through that area you'll still be pissed off because of the trash boss fight.

I honestly like Farron Keep, but maybe that's because the estus flask shard is the easiest one to get and running through the area w/ lighting all the fires will take you 15 mins max.
>>
>>335907479
Farron keep. Honestly anytime there is waste high water and you slow down to a crawl is obnoxious
>>
>>335908236
why do people have trouble with gulch? stack up on moss and break the statues.

bring a bow and fire arrows for the tar pits
>>
>>335908567
Archives is the best area in the game.
It's a simple vertical level
>>
>>335909579
DS1 catacombs would suck if fall damage was a thing.
It really isn't, and going trough it involves going trough 2 rooms, hitting a switch, then dropping the entire height of the entire catacombs in 2 goes.
>>
WORST LEVELS

DeS: Valley of Defilement
DS1: Lost Izalith
DS2: Aldia's Keep, Shrine of Amana, Black Gulch
DS3: Demon Ruins

BEST LEVELS
DeS: Tower of Latria
DS1: Painted World
DS2: Eleum Loyce
DS3: Irithyll
>>
>>335907479
Ds1: Izalith, it isn't as bad as most people say it is though, I like the underground bits with the spongebob dudes
Ds2: Earthen peak, way too long and tedious, enemies are annoying and the whole place is ugly as sin
Ds3: Demon ruins, but it isn't even that bad
>>
>>335908252
DeS- Boletaria, all acts

DaS- the Depths. It just feels very RPG dungeon crawly.

DaS2- either Forest of the giants, or Bastille. bastille is god tier in level design. unfortunately its one of the last well designed levels

DaS3- Crucifixion Woods
>>
>>335907479
The only area that annoys me are the stairs leading up to pontiff from silver knight. the dogs are a pain and the shitlords spamming farron dart or whatever, plus I always seem to be embered when I do it so I get invaded by that npc too. The swamp only takes like three minutes now.
>>
>>335910685
Oh shit I forgot Des, my least fav area in that game is probably boletaria 1-1
>>
>>335910651
>DS2: Aldia's Keep, Shrine of Amana, Black Gulch
Now that I think about it Frigid Outskirts was still worse because of how long it was so I change these to that.
>>
>>335908542
>No fucking good reward for doing all of this shit at all
you get 2 boss souls that make the loyce shield and sword. you can get the mask-less mirrah hat as well, and the Ring of the Living

>>Whole place is just DUDE GORRILIONS OF ENEMIES LMAO to create fake difficulty
what "whole place, horsecock, or the DLC in general? because it has no more enemies than DaS1 did. lets not forget how oolacile tossed 2-3 of those mutants at you on top of a hexer who could 2 shot you
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 463x634) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 463x634
>>335907479
>tfw not a single shit area in BB
>>
>>335910190

really? the areas with the actual life drainers is so hilariously short that was was pretty ez pz if you took your time. though they were fairly annoying if you didnt have a weapon that could kill them within 1 stamina bar
>>
>>335910062
Blight town was worse
>>
On top of the tower there is a huge pokemon-like monster, am I supposed to fight it yet? I am collecting souls rn so I do not want to risk dying.
>>
File: 14615696321741.png (251 KB, 760x2113) Image search: [Google]
14615696321741.png
251 KB, 760x2113
>>335911109
>no one can prove you wrong because even PS4 owners didn't bother buying Bloodborne
>>
>>335907479
>valley of defilement
>>
File: 1461874373824.jpg (41 KB, 610x390) Image search: [Google]
1461874373824.jpg
41 KB, 610x390
>>335907479
Blight town is easily the worst.
Those fucking Toxic dart faggots are the worst thing in any souls game by far
>>
>>335910651

painted world is great minus those fucking toxic egg fuckers. my first playthrough i ran out of blooming moss and because you cant teleport out, it was a huge pain in the ass to play through before i got gud
>>
>>335911109
Chalice Dungeons

Literally the shittiest level design(???) in the entire series.
>>
>>335911367
What does Crystal Chronicles have to do with Souls games?
>>
>>335908130
5-3 isn't bad. The plague babies are easily killed because they stop on an invisible wall. 5-2 is the worst though.
>>
I liked Demon Ruins and how it folded into Smoldering Lake, it was just a really neato design in general.
>>
>>335911109
Post-Rom Yahargul was a fucking chore to work through. Hemwick was boring and had an equally boring payoff. Nightmare Frontier was also a complete waste. Chalice dungeons are rancid ass.
>>
>>335908567
I think that's what you call non-linear vertical level design.

It was pretty good if you ask me.
>>
>>335907957
DaS3 being my first soulsborne and now playing through DaS1.

Toxic in DaS3:
>You'll be taking a little more damage than when poisoned for two minutes or so.

Toxic in DaS1:
>You'll be dead within the next five fucking seconds if you don't pop a Blooming Moss Clump.

That along with the way cursed works in DaS1 really hit me.
>>
>>335907957
Wtf, kid, Blightown is great specially on PC.
>>
DS1 - Blighttown
DS2 - Frigid Outskirts
DS3 - Smoldering lake
>>
>>335911682
Is it even possible to kill the giant worm in smouldering lake

I have yet to see anyone even mention it
>>
>>335912067
You can kill it. It's guarding Lightning Stake. Cool Miracle.
>>
>>335912067

>Is it even possible to kill the easily killable worm in smouldering lake.

Why don't you just fucking play the game?
>>
File: 1454763892627.png (70 KB, 284x265) Image search: [Google]
1454763892627.png
70 KB, 284x265
>>335910732
>bastille is god tier in level design
Seriously nigger? Inability to get back to the first bonfire after jumping over a five inch piece of rubble is god tier level design?
>>
>>335912067
If you go through the catacombs you can get it the demon ruins and kill it from behind pretty easy.
>>
>>335912067
if you stand on the path to the side of it the ballista will kill it for you
>>
>>335912067
Literally just stand behind it you incompetent.
>>
>>335911109
you're joking
>>
>>335912067
Just stand behind it while the mega crossbow hits it(and you).
>>
>>335911670
You didn't expect it to kill you outright and wipe out half your total health?
>>
>>335912213
>that one minor nitpick invalidates the rest of the level

the rest of the stage is great. I never minded that. i never had to go back unless i died. and if i did I just used a homeward bone
>>
>>335908567
>nonsensical
made sense to me when i found the shortcuts. maybe you have poor short term memory.
>>
>>335912213

Considering there are five (5) bonfires in the area, you'd have to be pretty pathetic to actually need to walk back.
>>
>>335907479
lost izalith. my eyes still hurt
>>
>>335912067
You can cheese it but letting the huge arrow things hit it by hiding behind where neither of them reach you. Doesn't take long.
>>
>>335911109
byrgenwerth
>lasts 2minutes
>shortcuts are completely useless
>easy boss
looks good but thats it
>>
>>335912213

are you retarded? there are bonfires every 5 feet
>>
>>335912067
I didn't realise you're supposed to use the ballista to kill it and also destroy that wall to get the ring so I disabled it before I killed it. Just hit it twice when it shows its head and run back. When it all comes out just stand there hitting part of it.
>>
>>335911526
Henwick was such a breath of freshair from the rest of the game that it was easily my favorite part of BB, but then DS3 had Henwick again and I quickly got sick of it.
>>
>>335912067
cheese it with arrows like every giant enemy in the game
>>
>>335910651
>pre scholar shrine of amana and dragon shrine
>>
File: Bean_Seller.png (343 KB, 794x938) Image search: [Google]
Bean_Seller.png
343 KB, 794x938
>>335908252
Favorites:
>Depths
>Heide's Tower
>Undead Settlement
>>
>>335912841
But Undead Settlement actually has depth to its design
>>
>>335912951
Forget pre-scholar, there was an early patch that nerfed their range big time right after launch. Launch Shrina of Amana was brutal.
>>
>kill pontiff
>enter new area
>3vs1 ensures as 3 aldrich faggots invade

nice game from, so my vote goes to the area before anal rodeo in das3
>>
File: 041216-114320344-big.jpg (571 KB, 3220x1824) Image search: [Google]
041216-114320344-big.jpg
571 KB, 3220x1824
I did not like the profaned capital. It felt like 3 rooms
>>
>>335913186
I liked it, felt like descending into an Underwood with a bunch of crazed cultists and the headless gargoyles were a nice touch. FUCK the toxic area and the hand mobs though.
>>
>everyone shitting on farron keep
Why? It's easily the best of the swamp areas in the series. My only complaint is that there's no vertical level design. For a place called a keep I was expecting a big fortress with multiple floors, instead it's just a mostly flat swamp.

Worst area in DaS3 is easily the catacombs. Stupidly small, annoying enemies (kukri throwing ninja skeletons are fucking HITLER), and the end boss is just too easy once you figure out the gimmick. Just did it on my 2nd time through and he died in like a minute.
>>
>>335907479
Are we talking asthetics and design or are we talking like annoying difficulty?

if its the former your image is pretty much spot on. If its the later then.

>DaS1
Oolacile Township(can't really think of any hard spots in ds1 anymore)

>DaS 2
Shrine of Amana

>DaS3
Latria 2.0(forgot its real name)
>>
I thought Irithyl dungeon was annoying as fuck. I liked the creepy monsters and the screaming corpses but those fucking jailers.
It's like they put a stealth game in my action rpg

Also, I was totally not expecting to find the profaned capital down there. and the boss is like 20 feet from the first bonfire
Although Profaned: to treat (anything sacred) with irreverence or contempt; violate the sanctity of (past tense)
I guess it makes sense to be near the weird horrible things in the dungeon.
>>
>>335913186
every area in the game feels like 3 rooms. They're all super short with large open flat terrain and nonsensical level design. Why is the cathedral just a massive empty room flooded by mud and how did two giants get in there? So many areas are just huge open spaces like farron keep and smouldering lake. This game just screams rushed to me
>>
>>335907479
Lost Izalith is not as bad as Blight Town. At least Lost Izalith was playable and you saw what was going on. The only thing Blight Town did better was the boss.
FUCK Frigid Outskirts though. Just when you think they made the greatest area in Souls history, you step into this steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>335907479
I haven't played DaS3, but have played DeS, DaS1, and DaS2
Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins are the WORST areas in the entire fucking series
>reused bosses out the ass
>horribly bright lava
>DRAGON BUTTS
>pretty boring level design
>every single boss there sucks (Firesage Demon, Centipede Demon, Bed of Chaos) (I bet you forgot the Centipede demon was a thing didn't you)
>there's like two original enemies in Lost Izalith once you get past the dragon butts
And the worst part is you MUST go through this every time you want to beat the game (unless you know about the shortcut, and even then you still have to fight the BoC). I can give Frigid Outskirts a pass because it's an optional co-op area, but the fact that Lost Izalith is a major end game area is fucking unacceptable.
>>
Honestly? I didn't really hate Farron Keep at all. Sure, it might've had the swamp and invaders like Valley of Defilement, but there was still plenty of solid ground to fight on without being slowed down, and like Valley of Defilement it had plenty of goodies tucked away in various corners of the area.

Lost Izalith wasn't even finished fully so it doesn't count, leaving Frigid Outskirts as the single worst area in the series. Literal, figurative, metaphysical sewage.
>>
Bruh the ice dlc in DaS2 was hard, but exciting.

>distant hoofsteps
>from the fog charges a 20ft tall lightning buck
>jumps over you and lightning bolts you
Yeah it was a bitch, but it was fun.
>>
>>335915230
>saw what was going on
what brightness settings do you need to make the lava not blinding in lost izalith?
>>
>>335915074
2 areas in the whole game are like that.
Cemetery of Ash/Untended Graves, High Wall, Lothric Castle, Settlement, Road of Sacrifices, Crucifixion Woods, Irithyll and Irithyll dungeon, Anor Londo, Archdragon Peak, Catacombs, and the entire outer area of Cathedral of the Deep are not like that at all.
>>
>>335907479
>DaS1: you see too much
>DaS2: you see nothing
>DaS3: ????
>>
>>335915431
Better than not even seeing where you are going. And the lava mess was much shorter too.
>>
>>335915409
I think its funny how the two ice panther bosses were a total pushover compared to the electro deers
>>
>>335907479
frigid outskirts wasn't so bad once you learn the tells of the reindeer, the rolling timing, and have a weapon that can stagger them (ultimate bonus). once you learn the area you encounter about 2-3 at most, which is still pretty punishing for dying to the absolute bossfaggotry that was the tiger twins.
izalith is utterly irredeemable, even kirk couldn't make it better. dragon asses and dragon gremlins topped with the absolute worst boss in the entire game.
>>
>>335910651
>Aldia's Keep
why

there was nothing special about that place, it was linear as fuck
>>
>>335915403
Farron Keep wouldn't have been half as bad if half the bog wasn't waist high and caused you to walk at a snails pace, also if they gave you a ring like in DaS1 that let you run normally.
>>
>>335915551
how can you not see where you're going in blighttown? are you talking just the swamp area? if so then Ds3 did it worse. If you're talking about the upper area I have no Idea what your problem is
>>
>>335915679
try rolling ahead
>>
>>335915540
>you see the same thing everywhere you go
>>
>>335915679
yeah but where's the fun in that?

>stuck in mud
>get chased down by giant chicken warlocks
What a thrill
>>
>>335908542
>aigisfag is retarded
But of course.

>>Single flat road
False.

>>Infinitly respawning, annoying as fuck enemies
None of the enemies in the outskirts infinitely respawn. However they do respawn immediately.

>>Whole place is just DUDE GORRILIONS OF ENEMIES LMAO to create fake difficulty
What the fuck? You fight 1, at most 2 enemies at once. If you reach the bridge once you know the road and meet 3, 4 horses max.
>>
>>335915679
There's plenty of dry-land to fight mobs on in Farron Keep, though. Besides, even if you're being "forced" to fight in the waist-high gunk, the small Ghru mobs die in 2-3 hits and can be easily stunlocked, and the big Ghru warlocks are all bark and no bite.
>>
Frozen Outskirts is probably worse because it's DLC, so they thought it was premium content worth paying extra for
>>
>>335907723
>black gulch
The gutter was way fucking worse than black gulch. Gulch was too short to be that much of a hassle
>>
File: 1460829824697.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460829824697.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
I'm getting really fucking tired of people saying Farron Keep sucks when the Catacombs are far worse in terms of how fucking boring it is. Farron Keep is great in that you can explore it and take it at your own pace, with two of the torches 20 seconds from your starting location if you know where to go.

Meanwhile the catacombs are a linear slog through identical hallways.
>>
>>335916085
b-but the bone fist11!
>>
>>335915726
>>335916025
It's more a matter of inconvenience. I roll but it still takes forever.
>>
you guys can hate on catacombs but you can't deny its one of the most fun places to invade in the game
even more so if you have obscuring ring
>>
>>335910337
>acquire dagger and quickstep
>>
>>335916182
The worst areas in dark souls 3 are farron keep, catacombs, smouldering lake, untended graves, and anor londo
>>
>>335916182
Thanks for that map, Anon. I could never remember where in that swamp Pharis' Bow/Hat were, and I hate slogging through it.
>>
>>335907479
Smouldering lake is much worse than Farron Keep
Funny, because SL most likely is Lost Izalith
>>
>>335913186
It should've been called Profaned Tower, House & Hallway, since that's what it essentially boils down to. When I heard "capital" I imagined something with at least half the scope and breadth as Irithyll, and was surprised when I stepped through the fog gate and fought Yhorm already.
>>
>>335916713
How could you leave out Kiln of the First Flame?
>>
Pontiff was such a cunt, only boss I summoned for
>>
>>335913113
I Remember that shit. Those fuckers would be firing off magic before you could see them and even worse is the fact that while they were in range to hit you you would s5ill be out of range with a bow or magic if you had it. It was horseshit.
>>
>>335908567
shittiest taste in the thread
>nonsensical layout
I'm sorry but you're retarded, grand archives had beautiful level design
>>
>>335907479
Lothric Castle is the worst area in 3.
>>
File: frigid outskirts.jpg (916 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
frigid outskirts.jpg
916 KB, 2560x1440
>>335908542
Animeposters are fucking retarded and have shit taste, more news at 11.

To answer OP's question, I enjoy all of those areas.
>>
>>335917556
It's fine, they just throw bonfires are you like it's going out of style though.
>>
>>335907479
I never figured out why everyone hated lost izalith. I really enjoyed that area.
>>
>>335917707
Then read the thread, many people have voiced why they don't like the area.
>>
>>335911670
Hey dingus, Toxic+Poison damage was directly copied over from DS1. 15 and 3 damage per tick respectively.
DS2's poison however was like DS1's toxic, and don't even get me started on DS2's toxic.
>>
>>335917680
It's not fine.

It's boring, it's literally just resisting the second area with the same enemies, it has performance issues out the ass, and they didn't even both to apply textures in some areas.
It's a fucking mess.
>>
>>335915626
had great atmosphere. had a real house of horrors/haunted house kind of spooky vibe, without being all body horror and shit like BB and DaS3
>>
best:

DS3: Cathedral of the deep
such a good level and lots of stuff to do/find. only the boss is disappointing.
DS1: Anor Londo
Des: Tower Of Latria
BB: byrgenwerth

worst:

DS3: Farron Keep
DS1: Izalith
Des: Valley of Defilement
DS2: the whole game
BB: the nightmare areas, chalice dungeons
>>
>>335917026
isnt it supposed to be ash lake?
>>
>>335916569
Stop being a bitch.
>>
>>335917941
Seems like Izalith sprung a leak and spilled into Ash Lake at some point.
>>
File: tips.jpg (26 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
26 KB, 213x237
>>335917672
>I enjoy all of those areas.
>>
>>335918061
>desire to be less inconvenienced means being a bitch
>>
File: 1024_2000.jpg (165 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
1024_2000.jpg
165 KB, 1000x900
bloodborne rekts dark souls 3 in pretty much every aspect. But lets be real here, its because of that sony money right?
>>
Smouldering Lake is easily the worst DS3 area PURELY because turning off the unpatched Mundane Avelyn doesn't do a fucking thing and there are absolutely ZERO(0) items up there that even make the trip worthwhile. Literally the last unique item in the area is when you can get the Dragonrider Bow climbing up the ladder after the black knight.
>>
>>335918175
>every aspect
BB has less build variety and is far shorter. it is literally ujust as unfinished as DaS2, the difference being it's more polished
>>
>>335917941
It is Izalith, you find several things that confirm it in the demon ruins.
>>
>>335918175
that map doesn't even show the back half of iosefkas clinic or the underground aquaducts
>>
>>335918176
>the unpatched Mundane Avelyn
hearty kek
>>
>>335911117
blighttown was bad for bad players. It's really fun when you replay the game
>>
Worst in 2 is Heide's tower of flame.
Literally only positive thing about it is the aesthetic.
Might as well not even exist otherwise.
>>
>>335918293
for real? They game probably has the longest development cycle of any souls game. Every area has its own unique enemies and lore, and you can find more level variety in chalice dungeons than half the levels in dark souls 3
>>
>>335918176

You know what's worse?

I was so convinced they wouldn't make an entire area so fucking pointless that I did the trip a second time as I was convinced I'd missed something.

I'm guessing that From assumed you'd try and take on the Worm normally instead of cheesing its bullshit.
>>
>>335918412
well its also bad on console because it has bad framerate. which is the only reason that the meme of it being bad ever came up.
>>
File: 1353608325722.jpg (41 KB, 1014x569) Image search: [Google]
1353608325722.jpg
41 KB, 1014x569
I've not even been to Frigid Outskirts yet.
>>
all areas in 2 were dogshit, only areas that really stand out is iron keep with the ice skating 300 mph knights and greatbows, and the swamp of armenia for being a swamp.
3 has some swamps too, and as far as I know no rusted iron ring so I guess that would be it for 3.
1 is discussed to death so I won't bother. The obvious.
>>
>>335907479
All DS3 areas were perfect
>>
File: tip.webm (1 MB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
tip.webm
1 MB, 630x354
>>335918094
>I literally cannot fathom how somebody else can have a different opinion than my own, they must be a fedoredditor! How dare you have fun!
>>
>>335918710
i dont like smouldering lake, especially the goat dungeon
>>
File: 8FE4NHG.png (268 KB, 262x490) Image search: [Google]
8FE4NHG.png
268 KB, 262x490
>>335918624
Prepare your butt for rape ponies
>>
>>335916713
>untended graves
But anon, this is the best area in the game
>>
>>335918675
I actually laughed at loud when I got to iron keep in SotFS and saw that they literally doubled the enemies. Good job From Soft, masters of making tedium even more tedious
>>
>>335918734
Here is your reply m8
>>
>>335908252
i'd have a hard time choosing one
DeS: Shrine of Storms, Tower of Latria
DaS: Lost Izalith, Painted World
DaS2: No-Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, The Gutter
DaS3: Irithyll, Cathedral of the Deep, Grand Archives

if I absolutely had to choose one though, I guess it'd be Grand Archives.
>>
>>335918540
>They game probably has the longest development cycle of any souls game.
and what does it have to show for it? a ridiculously short main campaign that becomes tedious and unfun after Rom, and horribly filler chalice dungeons?

>Every area has its own unique enemies and lore

lore is a buzzword. DaS areas had their lore too.

also unique enemies? lets go over how unseen village was literally all townsfolk and hags, or how the second half of mensis was a reused boss as a stage enemy

>and you can find more level variety in chalice dungeons than half the levels in dark souls 3
ok I see now. I fell for the bait.

you got me good
>>
>>335912328
Sorry, forgot about my post.

I did expect it to kill me outright as that's what the frogs do in DaS3 too, I did not however expect a permanent debuff even post-death and I did not expect that I had to wade through an area with enemies that'd phase through walls with half my HP to even get the status effect nullified.

>>335917819
Really? Does DaS3 just have generally larger health pools then? You definitely take a smaller fraction of damage from toxic in DaS3 than in DaS1.
>>
>>335907868
That's not really true. There are worse areas by far in a number of games.

I don't even really like that DLC to begin with, but that area is not the worst area ever.

I also feel like it's not fair to compare an optional area in an optional DLC with necessary areas in the main game.
>>
>>335917204

They also had massive homing so rolling to avoid one bolt would mean you'd get hit by another coming from a different angle a second later.
>>
>>335918838
yes. copy paste the first level, make it dark, and place a bunch of reused enemies from the main game. 10/10. Seriously though its such a lazy cop out and trying to justify it only shows how much of a dark souls fanboy you are
>>
>>335918860
Jesus fucking christ what morons. And I've seen people praise that DLC.
>>
>>335908252
>DeS
Valley of Defilement 5-1, I loved the atmosphere and disgusting look.
>DaS
Darkroot Garden, particularly the inner forest it feels almost dreamlike.
>DaS2
Heide Tower, I really like the fractured design of this place
>DaS3
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, I think anyway I need more time to digest DaS3
>>
>>335907479
Other than the boss, Lost Izalith was a pretty neat looking map, very atmospheric.
>>
>>335919034
It's a boss room and like 20 seconds of exploration. Hosts the best boss in the game, and two of the most fun weapons.
>>
>>335915230
I loved blighttown
>>
>>335918860

They doubled the number AND massively increased their aggro range.

Oh, and they positioned 3 at the other end of the bridge you could lower so they'd kill you as soon as you dropped down if you tried to rush through the area.
>>
>>335919053
>dlc

scholar is a rerelease, not a dlc.

the only relevant DLC story things are a free download for the vanilla game
>>
File: Worm safespot.jpg (358 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Worm safespot.jpg
358 KB, 1920x1080
>>335918551
You can stand right here and cheese the lightning worm with a bow with absolutely no risk. Bows are completely overpowered in this game, you can do about 1/15th of the worm's health with each shot.
>>
>>335907723

>they added an NPC invasion to the end of black gulch

That was such bullshit
>>
>>335919267
Might as well call it a patch. It's a DLC in all senses but being included in the season pass.
>>
>>335918675

The rusted iron ring is buying a dagger and using quickstep to zoom through the mud.
>>
>>335908252
DeS - Entire Boletaria and 3-1
DaS1 - Blighttown or Painted World
DaS2 - I guess Heide's Tower
DaS3 - didn't play
Bloodborne - didn't play
>>
>>335919323
>overpowered

Someone didn't play DeS where they were truly fucking strong.
>>
>>335908485

I still don't get how you're supposed to beat them.
>>
>>335919458
I'll wait til I can emulate it in a year.
>>
>>335907957
lel you can stroll through blighttown on PC without any issues
>>
File: 1460722869851.jpg (195 KB, 960x712) Image search: [Google]
1460722869851.jpg
195 KB, 960x712
>>335919491
Trust in the RNG gods and hope they don't pull any stupid shit before you can R1 them to death
>>
>>335919053
the dlc's were terrible. They had the same bad level design and washed out bleached lighting. Also they each reused the same generic undead knight enemy and other enemies from the main game. They were seriously garbage
>>
>in terms of design, layout and size it was done perfectly.

"oh hey, you've raised a bit divider that looks designed for you to walk on and you can drop down onto it"

"LOL Just kidding you can't get anywhere from it and if you drop down onto it, you have to suicide or bone out. It actually does nothing and serves no purpose LOL!"

What's worse if it's probably at the furthest point since the last bonfire in the game
>>
>>335919498
sorry but you'll be dead before you play a emulator of demons souls
>>
>>335919397
I know about that and it's hardly zooming. It's a little faster than just rolling at sub 70%.
>>
>>335919361
its really not.

do you even know what you are talking about?

Scholar was a complete overhaul of the game. uses DX11 over the DX9 that vanilla used, has new AI phantoms, with far better AI, completely changes almost every enemy and item location in the game, AND adds the aldia bossfight and dark lord ending 9those latter 2 being the free DLC that vanilla got)
>>
File: 1359054748411.jpg (37 KB, 600x447) Image search: [Google]
1359054748411.jpg
37 KB, 600x447
>>335908252
I really dig the Sunken Crown content's mesoamerican-style temple.

>>335919331
All the non-caster NPCs are super vulnerable to longsword pokes.
Casters can suck my fucking cock, though,
>point-blank crystal soul spears
>point-blank dank instakill hexes
>massively accelerated casting times
Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em to hell.
>>
>>335919817
Have you even tried it m8? It's the fastest way to get around in there.
>>
>>335919458
Kek this. Lava bow at (I believe 16?) minimum required dex pretty much could carry you through a couple of boss encounters and the dragon before Allant pretty easily. Shit for standard new game a basic compound shortbow could do fucking wonders. PVE wise with thiefs ring it got even better. Dunno about pvp tbqh.

>>335919498
Doubt it will happen next year famalan since ps3 has CELL POWAH but I hope it does eventually for 1080p since sony will literally never port it to ps4
>>335919765
It will happen eventually
>>
>>335919683

Don't forget them giving all the bosses massive amounts of HP and high magic resistance (what's that, you specced a mage? Sucks to be you!).

And of course they made a boss out of 3 NPC invaders.
>>
>>335908252
DeS: Tower of Latria
DaS: Anor Londo/Sen's Fortress
DaS2: Don't remember enough
DaS3: Cathedral of the Deep
BB: Nightmare of Menzies (Castle)

Cathedral of the Deep might end up being my favorite thematically. Such a disgustingly huge area with some really unique layouts and the proper Dark Souls enemy placement and design that hurls new challenges at you instead of throwing enemies everywhere.
>>
File: Bloodborne8.png (215 KB, 620x525) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne8.png
215 KB, 620x525
>>335908252
>DeS
The entirety of Tower of Latria

+Atmosphere
+Enemy designs
+Boss designs
+Art Direction
+Verticality
+Sound design
+NPCs
+Lore
-Backtracking

>DaS
Painted World

+Atmosphere
+Level design
+Enemy design
+Art Direction
+Lore
+NPC/Boss design
+Sound design

>DaSII
Brume Tower
+Vertical level design
+Bosses, their lore and boss room art design
-Blue Smelter Demon
-Bland enemy design
-Iron passage

>DasIII
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley + the Dungeon

+Art direction
+Atmosphere
+Enemy design
+Level design
+Boss design
+Lore

>Bloodborne
Fishing Hamlet

+Art direction
+Atmosphere
+Lore
+Boss design
+Enemy design
+Level design
>>
>>335919894
Yes. I even have a direct comparison since I got to run away from 3 phantoms while using it. It's a little faster than rolling, still sluggish as hell.
>>
>>335919881

The problem isn't so much the difficulty of the NPC, more the fact that you keep getting stunned by the poison darts and you have a bunch of those hand things following you when he arrives
>>
>>335920008
I hated tower of latria once you get in the swampy part, fuck those centipede enemies
>>
>>335907479
The only zone I hate is DaS is Duke's Archive though.
>>
>>335919864
they moved a bunch of stuff around, how amazing
>>
File: 1408437670306.jpg (52 KB, 479x355) Image search: [Google]
1408437670306.jpg
52 KB, 479x355
>invading frigid outskirts as a gymped out pharros masked pyromancer w/ puzzling sword
>silver talismanning myself in the last house on the way to the boss
>waiting up to ten minutes until somebody arrives
>spamming outcry

the hate mail was never so sweet. those npc summons cant fucking help you.

GOTCHA BITCH.
>>
>>335920082
I had bad memories of the Black Gulch from the previous generation, so by the time I got to the invader I'd smashed everything to pieces and incinerated the hands.
>>
>>335907479
Smouldering Lake and the ruins are far worse than anywhere else in DaS3. The swamp isn't bad at all, it's easy enough to find a path through, it's only if you want to explore that you'll suffer.

>>335907626
>>335908567
It's a really well designed level.
>>
>>335920136
You have to admit, Lost Izalith was quite a bit of a letdown though.
You get this fuckhuge fire area, and 75% of it is filled with stupid areas filled with those easy to kill statue enemies. Also all the boss fights down there suck so much ass. (Ceaseless, Centipede Demons, fucking BoC)
>>
>>335920203
:^)
upboated epic meme friend you showed him
>>
>>335920367
I had no problem with Smouldering lake. The ruins felt kinda c/p from the Chalice dungeons but it really wasn't terrible.

I feel like DaS3 and BB had the most consistency with areas of the areas. I can't remember an area I hated in BB.
>>
I must be the only person who enjoyed the trip from lower undead burg all the way down to lost izalith.

Blight town included.

Felt like a genuine dungeon crawl, like I was moving further and further away from safety, clinging to the souls I could keep hold of, constantly fighting with myself whether I should trek back and spend them or press on in the hope I'd find some way back to Firelink to spend them.

I really wish we could have another game that doesn't let you freely warp from zone to zone, and doesn't let you level at any old bonfire. I'm tired of feeling like I'm playing with a safety line attached.
>>
>>335919864
once a turd always a turd
>>
File: 369733944.jpg (63 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
369733944.jpg
63 KB, 640x360
Worst Areas :
Ds1 : Lost Izalith, mostly because of the boss, I loved the architecture of the area
Ds2 : Shaded Woods, specifically the ruins (got even worse in SotFS somehow)
Ds3 : Demon Ruins, smouldering lake has a nice feel to it, but the tunnels beneath are a pain
>>
>>335920541
My issues with Smouldering Lake was how dull it was. The worm doesn't leave its position, there's barely anything going on besides the ballista fire, the worm can't even damage you if you're behind it.
BB had Nightmare of Mensis that is always a chore to get through. That and the ruins after Smouldering Lake are two the type of areas I want to run through just to say they're done.
>>
>>335918564
this thread is mostly about level design, I was talking about that aspect
>>
Blighttown is my favourite DS1 area.
>>
File: haram.jpg (71 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
haram.jpg
71 KB, 531x471
>>335920772

I don't know if Shaded Woods is the worst, but it's definitely the ugliest area in the series. I honestly can't think of another area that's as atrocious to look at, it's N64 tier.
>>
>>335920608
I didn't mind blighttown but thought the sewers were ridiculously boring, and repetitive to go through. I got to a point where I just skipped those two areas and would run to Quelaag first from VoD
>>
WORST
DeS: 2-2 or 4-2
DS: New Londo
DS2: Dark Chasms
DS3: Archdragon Peak
BB: Chalice Dungeons

BEST
DeS: Boletaria
DS: Sen's
DS2: Dragon's Sanctum (dlc)
DS3: Irithyll, I guess.
BB: Cathedral Ward
>>
>>335907479
>farron keep
>not profaned capital.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.