[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are devs so Obsessed with the Open world design "meme"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 1O7qJdk.jpg (442 KB, 881x1337) Image search: [Google]
1O7qJdk.jpg
442 KB, 881x1337
Why are devs so Obsessed with the Open world design "meme" ?
Its just a sign of laziness
>>
>implying open world games are bad

Enjoy your brown hallways, faggot.
>>
Back in my day it was called "sandbox" games.

A game where it'll drop you in a large room with lots of stuff to do.

Damn shame it's getting more "open world" instead of sandbox. Open world is more like Skyrim and GTA V. Just a bunch of useless world to trek for the sake of "muh big map".

GTA IV and Morrowind had it down better. It felt expansive because everything was knit together well. Havn't played MGSV part 2 so I can't comment.

Also Fallout 4 was pretty much more "hey just keep running until you find something cool". The only improvement in that game are the gunfights and the fact that I can run and gun unto my victims of the wasteland (but even then I dropped it after 5 quests).
>>
>>335896873
This
Sandboxes shouldn't have restrictions like those imposed on you in GTA V and MGS V, they should just let you go out and have fun. Just Cause gives you the tools to have fun still at least.
>>
is anyone else sick of this "gameplay" meme
>>
the only problem I have with games like this is that when you have to travel across the map a lot of it is just walking and you barely see any enemies and shit like that so you're just spending 10 minutes running

I get that it's realistic or whatever but holy shit put something inbetween
>>
>>335896589
There is nothing wrong with an open world if its done well

RDR and MGSV both did a shit open world though. STALKER comes to mind as having a good one.
>>
Open world isn't the problem. The problem is that devs do not put in enough content to make exploring that open world fun.

Shit on TES all you like, but Bethesda is the one dev that at least puts lots of stuff into their games (quality of that stuff is of course debatable, but that's another matter entirely). There's things to find everywhere.
>>
>>335901012
>Shit on TES all you like, but Bethesda is the one dev that at least puts lots of stuff into their games
I think FO4 has one of the best open worlds we've ever seen. The amount of unique content you can run into and do by picking a direction and running is huge.

Its just a shame the main story is so linear and awful.
>>
>>335898557
Yeah video games are for soundtracks
>>
>>335898557
Not as much as the "fun" meme shills keep peddling about.
>>
>>335896589
It can be lazy however it depends on the game, if the game is set around being dropped behind enemy lines then a large area makes perfect sense, it would be like wondering why a hunting game is set in a large open game reserve and not a small, deliberately crafted "level".
>>
>>335901012
>Shit on TES all you like, but Bethesda is the one dev that at least puts lots of stuff into their games

They put so much effort into their games that each one has to be fixed by their zealous fanbase with glue and glitter.
>>
>>335901094
There is literally zero content in FO4. It has a map you can transverse in 10 minutes, fuck off shill.
>>
GTA:SA was probably the worst open world. they made it as big as possible just for the sake of it.

What was wrong with RDR's open world?
>>
>>335896589
Because it's newest fad just like crafting or token homosexual npc
>>
>>335902685
>What was wrong with RDR's open world?
nothing.

OP is just
>>
>sandbox
>mgsv tpp
>>
>>335902685
It was a huge fucking desert
>>
>>335896589
Did people actually have trouble commuting around in MGSV?

Even without D-Horse or that shitty walker it was piss easy to get anywhere on the map(s) quickly
>>
>>335900868
>RDR
>bad open world

Why was it bad and in what aspects is STALKER better? (haven't played Stalker so I can't comment on that)
>>
quality, immersive open worlds take A LOT of painstaking work

bad ones are just a whole bunch of copypasted assets
>>
>>335903009
Mailing yourself
>>
Good sandbox games include:

EVE
Black Desert
Minecraft
Kerbal space program
Civ?
Morrowind?

Help me out here guys...
>>
>>335896589
>hardest to implement well feature
>lazy for trying to implement
>>
I don't mind open world when it makes sense, but doing just because is retarded.

Open world does not fit every game. It certainly didn't fit MGS5 for example.

85% of the 3 maps (Africa, the middle east, and motherbase) were empty barren wastelands with absolutely nothing to do.
>>
>>335903084
GSC managed to make their map more "alive" than most open world games, it's not just patrol of different groups passing by, you have also mutant huntign each others and stalker going to hunt artifact in anomalies area, when oyu can discuss with other stalkers you can trade with them and their gear is completely filled with weapon/object left on the map

>go to a merc camp to get a computer
>failed to do it stealthy
>kill everyone
>grab the computers and run away
>meet a bunch of loners later
>one of them is selling mercs weapon

most open worlds have a bad idea on how to make a world feel alive, and so you end up with shit like MGSV where there's like a bunch of wolf here & here, some russians in a truck passing by and litteraly nothing else
>>
RDR was the best open world video game experience, in my opinion.
MGSV was shitty in that regard, it wasn't much fun going through empty maps from point to point to do repetitive shit every time, but RDR felt alive and everything was so vibrant, random encounters and everything.

Damn you X360 and your RROD, would love to play it again
>>
>>335903467
Totally disagree with MGSV, I understand the need to have something to engage with in an open world but when it comes to an open world stealth game where you are basically playing as a hunter you can't complain that this grassy field overlooking a town doesn't have some kind of minigame to fuck around in like a GTA/Saints Row game. Again hunting games have nothing to do in the actual environments, they are just nice to look at and offer different elevations, cover etc etc but it would be retarded to say the open world is boring because it's a close depiction of an actual outdoor environment.
>>
>>335903254
delta force series
GTA ( before 5 )
DCS world
arma series ( even better when modded )
project reality
squad ( when vehicle update pop up )
fallout 1 & 2
jagged alliance
7.62 hard caliber
driver 1
STALKER series
Joint operations
Mafia ( also mafia 2 ? )
Outcast
POSTAL 2
red faction : guerilla
running with rifles
saints row 2
Silent hunter series
sleeping dogs
test drive unlimited 2
theater of war series
total war series

>morrowind
it's a good sandbox nobody can deny that, except those who can't get over the combat system ( wich is quite irritating )

i also included games that let you choose some area on the map but insert you in huge levels or just games with big ass levels, if you don't consider this sandbox then you can remove them, i also didn't included all flight sims like DCS because most people would find that boring
>>
>>335896697
Non-linear is the best
>>
>>335902685
You must be a GTA V babby. SA is easily the best GTA.
>>
>>335903832
>it would be retarded to say the open world is boring because it's a close depiction of an actual outdoor environment.

Seems like a cheap get out argument there. MGSV to me is big in literal scale, but fucking tiny in it's scope and what it lets you do.

If they want an open world, then make it FEEL like a living world. Maybe have the trees be climable in the jungle, ALA MSG3. Maybe make it so that Snake could shimmy along the tree tops, with the down side that it causes more noise (leaves rustling as Snake moves along).

There's a ton of ways to make the location feel dynamic and alive, but MGSVs world is just window dressing over a shallow shell.

Even motherbase which is SUPPOSED to be a thriving centre full of solders is empty. That's hardly a close depiction of what they were trying to achieve,
>>
A well-designed linear game is always vastly superior to open world games. I don't want to run around in a fucking boring environment with repeating copy paste missions/quests.
>>
>>335902685
>What was wrong with RDR's open world?
Mexico. Mexico and that hill in the middle of it you have to climb up every single time you want to get to the other half of it made me want to scream, especially when quests take place on it, and especially when at least 3/4ths of the missions require you to go back and forth with the fast travel not always being available and requiring you to spend two or more minutes getting to a place with it, but your goal is like two more minutes away so why waste the money fast traveling and sitting through all the cutscenes just to get to the one you can skip so you can get to the place you have to be?
>>
>>335904692
Good points I'll concede more could have been done in the natural environment but I still find the argument that some people throw out that MGSV's open world is bland when it's basically what Afghanistan is like to be like complaining that GTA V's city has too many buildings and spaghetti junctions, they are what they are and personally I loved being a special operative in that environment and using it to track, avoid detection and take out targets (I turned x ray vision etc off). If this was a GTA game set in barren afghanistan I would understand.
>>
>>335904534
i think Bully is pretty good too
it shows that bigger = isnt better
>>
File: 1124065796.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1124065796.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
Open district games like Yakuza are the best. Or with small sandbox like Bully.
Other formulas are tired and boring.
>>
>>335896589
Open world is good when it's done right. The problem is no one does it right. They make these huge open world games, but still force you down a linear path. At that point you're better off to just make the map where everything else is blocked off except for the areas that the actual story takes place in.
>>
File: Barack-Cheesin.jpg (22 KB, 331x318) Image search: [Google]
Barack-Cheesin.jpg
22 KB, 331x318
>>335903254
>Kerbal space program
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.