[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How am I supposed to play this game? Is running away the name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
How am I supposed to play this game?

Is running away the name of the game or am I actually supposed to fight off all these villagers? I'm about an hour in and not really getting in.

Also Japanese horror general I guess.
>>
You'll have to kill most of them, use the stumbling and knife to you advantage, as well as the environment
>>
>>335891449

Thanks, the amount of enemies seems to contrast with the amount of ammo you get (at least early game) and both ways seem equally as (in)effective.
>>
File: 1460778194835.jpg (91 KB, 732x730) Image search: [Google]
1460778194835.jpg
91 KB, 732x730
>>335891759
Make sure you try to shoot them in the head or knees so you can kick them. Kicks can topple multiple enemies. Save the shotgun for big crowds, one shell can easily knock down 3-4 or more. Where are you at?
>>
>>335891759
Also if you drop them to their knees rush and melee, you'll knock over the people around them too, give you some breathing room
>>
>>335890726

Yeah you are supposed to run away, that's what Resident Evil was all about.

RE4 actually casaulized it by making shooting most enemies a viable thing though. Game is alright but it's overrated, the first few hours are the best part. Game keeps getting worse as it goes along.
>>
>>335892106
>by making shooting most enemies a viable thing though
>"i didn't play RE2 and 3"
>>
>>335891957

I've basically just gotten out of the valley where you escape your shackles and meet the mysterious salesman for the first time (so early days). I'm not finding it difficult per se, just feel like I'm playing it wrong always using my bullets.
>>
>>335892228

Not on your first playthrough.

Once you get good you can even kill everything in REmake and have spare ammo left over. But on a first run through you are always thinking "I don't know what's next, so I should just save these 5 remaining bullets and run past this guy".

In RE4 the fear of running out of ammo was much less outside some parts in the castle IIRC.
>>
>>335892256
There's dudes with dynamite, shoot the dynamite to blow up a lot of people at once

Or just shoot them but the enemies will have moved away before it explodes
>>
>>335890726
You're supposed to shoot 'em all I guess. That's what I did. I don't really understand people's love for RE4. I always loved RE and when everyone hyped RE4 to be the best one yet and revolutionary I was like oh boy but instead of survival horror in cool environments everything is brown and dudes keep coming out like it was fucking Serious Sam. Not RE to me.
>>
>>335892417
Only RE1 is like that, all other games give you enough ammo to kill everything without ever worrying about running out.
>>
>>335892256
Don't forget to use the sniper at the cracks in the wall!
>>
>>335892582
>>335892106
That's sad to hear. I'll stick with it, if it doesn't really catch me I dare say I'll drop it fairly quickly though.

Another question, spinals are just for selling right?
>>
Controlled approach, lad. Shotgun and kick QTEs to disperse the mobs and knife the dudes who are on the ground.
>>
This game kind of hazes you when you get to the village. You can either kill enough of them or wait for the invisible timer.
>>
File: 201412_2135_facec.png (92 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
201412_2135_facec.png
92 KB, 500x375
>>335892582
>but instead of survival horror in cool environments everything is brown and dudes keep coming out like it was fucking Serious Sam.

Nigga, you get to explore a remote village and a fucking castle, how are those not cool environments? I understand the game, as far as gameplay goes, not feeling like previous RE games, but comparing it to Serious Sam is way to extreme. RE4 may have ditched 'horror' (even though the only RE games that are kinda scary are REmake and RE0), but for an action game it has a top notch atmosphere and enemy variety.
>>
>>335890726
Shoot one in the head, run up and do a roundhouse kick to blow up a group of them.
>>
>>335892738
Yes, spinels, blue velvets and emeralds are just for selling. You will find other gems that you can sell, however they can be put in other objects to sell for more money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03YTvRoHtQ
You might be interested in watching this video. This guy loves RE4, but he states that he didn't come to love it until his second playthrough. The game might not be for you, but you should try and give the game a fair amount of time, at least until you get to the castle area. That's my favorite area.
>>
>>335892106
Resident Evil was all about horrible controls and camera angles with a retarded plot, RE4 saved the franchise with a fun game and then 5 ruined it again.
>>335890726
Basically don't fall for the blacktail meme and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1424255503193.jpg (202 KB, 730x800) Image search: [Google]
1424255503193.jpg
202 KB, 730x800
>>335890726
Just do it for her
>>
>>335892582
People love RE4 for its excellent combat with a lot of fun crowd control and tension thanks to the tank controls. They also love the great enemy/level design that helps elevate the combat further. Also the varied loadouts you can have and guns feeling very distinct which makes you play smart. Then there's plenty of memorable set pieces, a cool atmosphere and an enjoyable cheesy story. It's a very different game compared to the other RE games but that's not really a flaw when it does what it sets out to do so damn well.
>>
OP this is why you finish a game before posting about it, you get six billion dudes trying to convince you their ideas are legit, and now your experience is diluted.
>>
>>335893156
This
>>
>>335890726
Kill EVERYTHING. There is literally no down side to killing everything that moves, ammo is plentiful and you get lots of money and treasure for it.
>>
>>335893141
>guns feeling very distinct
The riot gun is literally the shotgun.
>>
>>335893131
What is wrong with her arm?
>>
File: 1396456004363.gif (220 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1396456004363.gif
220 KB, 250x250
>>335890726
Shoot enemies in the face or in the legs (shins or lower), sometimes it causes them to stumble. When they do stumble, you can run up to them and do a melee attack.
You're invincible in the middle of the melee attack and sometimes you can even push out a few enemies with one attack if it's timed right, it can become a good crowd management tool.
>>
>>335892738
This guy >>335892106 is full of shit. RE4 keeps developing as you go along, giving you new scenarios, new surprises and new enemies up until the end. Near the end you get sections that are all-out war (and it works surprisingly well), then all of a sudden you're back to tense horror again (Regenerators are gonna be fun for you man...) - the pacing of the game, to me at least, is perfect.
>>
>>335890726
Except a few timed survival moments (the first village attack for example), you just have to kill everything. If you run out of ammo you'll just have to get good. I didn't use melee attacks a lot.
>>
>>335893336
amateur artist syndrome
>>
>>335893493
>Near the end you get sections that are all-out war

And this is exactly why it's shit. It's so tacked on and cringeworthy, especially in a Resident Evil game. The game just turns into a full blown shooter at the end and it doesn't fit the game at all.

The Regenerator section is good I admit but it's also only 10 minutes long. If you exclude that part, the game degrades in quality over time. The Village is by far the best, then the Castle is okay but not as good, and the Island is completely shit tier aside from Regenerators.
>>
>>335894127
All the Island really needed was anther Ashley section but otherwise it was solid

if anything in RE4 was lacking its the boss fights, everything else is good
>>
>>335890726
>horror
>BH4

Play the remasters instead.
>>
>>335894213

I really don't understand RE4 fans. Game was just okay, just, "yeah it's alright I guess" tier. I'm not even a nostalgia fag or butthurt about the series change.

RE4 was my first game in the series, got it because everyone was sucking it's cock on release. It was okay but I was pretty disappointed. Years later I went back and played the classic games and actually enjoyed those a lot. I can see why classic fans dislike it.
>>
File: 1460331832200.jpg (29 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1460331832200.jpg
29 KB, 540x405
>>335894127
> The Village is by far the best, then the Castle is okay but not as good, and the Island is completely shit tier aside from Regenerators.

Not him, but the castle is easily my favorite. The enemies, the chanting, the lighting and architecture (You ever stop to just look at the walls, or the ceiling? God damn, RE4 is gorgeous!), the music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTKYgn0Q-0&list=PL7B50CA1C360E8D3D&index=18), holy fuck, I need to play this game right now.

I agree the village is, overall, the lesser of the three main areas, but it still has some great moments. Of course there's the regenerators, and that building in general is pretty spooky and atmospheric leading up to it. The "IT" boss was pretty cool, as was the Krauser fight (and build up). The war is probably one of my least favorite parts in the game, but it wasn't bad.
>>
>>335894397
With all due respect to the originals: I really dont give a shit about whether RE4 is a real horror game or not. To me it's is one of the best action games ever made.
>>
>>335894564
>I agree the village is, overall, the lesser of the three main areas

Island**
>>
>>335894213
Castle is the best part, also the hardest one.
>>
>>335894604
>one of the best action games ever made

It's just a bland TPS game with zombies.
Why are RE4 fags so delusional?
>>
>>335894740
we're talking about RE4, not 6
>>
>>335894604

But that's the thing, I went into RE4 expecting an action game and was dissapointed. Later after I played the classics I also realized it was shit at being a horror game.

It's a bad shooter, a bad action game, and a bad horror game.

It's like Fallout 3, a mix of so many different aspects, and each aspect on it's own is fucking terrible, yet people like it for some reason when it's mushed together into one big pile of terrible.
>>
>>335894740
How is it bland? There are no tps games like it except shit directly influenced by it. Hell, how many TPS have you shooting enemies in the knees and then following it up with a kick for crowd control? Hlw many TPS have that kind of limited mobility and use it to create a shit ton of tension? If anything it feels more like God Hand with guns than any TPS.
>>
>>335894809
I really dont see how it was a bad action game, it was pretty damn good at setting the pace and ramping up challenge after challenge. I've literally have not seen one game do it on that level since maybe Doom or Halo CE.
>>
>>335894848
>Comparing God Hand with the abomination that is RE4

Kill yourself familia.
>>
>>335894809
>Later after I played the classics I also realized it was shit at being a horror game.
Because it wasnt trying to be horror...
>>
File: 1458943982528.jpg (101 KB, 1025x882) Image search: [Google]
1458943982528.jpg
101 KB, 1025x882
RE4 is sort of like the classic Castlevania games.
>Slow paced in many ways, but still an action game.
>Controls take a bit to get used to, some might find them clunky, but the games are designed with them in mind.
>Although the games would seem serious, they're a little goofy in many ways
>The only people that don't like it probably don't even like themselves
>>
>>335894985
>3.0
LOL
>>
>>335894985
Same director, same control scheme, same emphasis on crowd control, a similar flow to the combat. Hell it even feels like they used the same game engine.
>>
Trying to shit on RE4 is like trying to shit on Doom

both literally redefined their genres and last in quality to this day, it really don't matter how pitifully you try to argue that its shit
>>
File: 2015-11-03_00001.jpg (334 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_00001.jpg
334 KB, 1920x1080
I killed everything and still had this much ammo and shit.
>>
>>335895219
The thing about both those games is that they're both quite simple games that don't really do anything extreme, while just being really solid experiences. That, I imagine, is what lead to their success and holds a special place in people's hearts to this day.
>>
>>335891759
Suplex those bitches.

Also, remember that flash grenades kill parasites instantly.
>>
>>335892106
Yeah everyone knows Resident Evil is all about tank controls, jumpscares and Z-movie acting.
>>
>>335890726
Here's a tip. Get the TMP
YOU FUCKERS THAT ARE GONNA SHIT POST ON THIS CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF
and use it as a combo weapon. Essentially, the TMP gets a fuck ton of bullets and doesn't deal damage. The idea is you burn a ton of ammo to have it be effective. However, it always stuns enemies. One TMP bullet will cause a face or leg grab the same as any other bullet does that doesn't knock them down. Using the TMP, you can do some severe crowd control while sipping ammo.

It's what I typically use along with the striker and Bolt action. Typically, you need some sort of damage dealer with this set-up though, and it's not recommended to keep your handgun with this setup since you don't use it often enough to justify it.
>>
>>335896578
>YOU FUCKERS THAT ARE GONNA SHIT POST ON THIS CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF

Are there really people who think the TMP isn't OP as fuck? The TMP makes the game even easier than it already is. And if I remember correctly an entire magazine (200, 250, can't remember what you'd have at the time) can kill IT's second phase.

Another weapon that I found out was kinda ridiculous last time I played is the mine thrower, especially on the last boss.
>>
>>335897018
There used to be. People would claim it's low damage and upgrade threshold would make the weapon completely inefficient. Then someone found out about it's combo and crowd potential and since then I sell my handgun as soon as it's stock becomes available and sell the handgun ammo. I don't miss it.

The Mine thrower is actually VERY useful for speed running that boss since any explosion causes it to award you a free stab. I'd gladly pay 18000 or so (Don't remember the cost, but i think it's around there) to skip that boss considering that money at that point doesn't matter anymore.
>>
OP here, just got past the lake monster. Pretty cool fight, also the rapid quicktime animations are hilarious.

Is the punisher worth hanging onto? I think I'll keep it but I have a thing for hanging onto starter weapons as well and have two pistols seems pointless.
>>
>>335897231
The punisher is the weakest pistol in the game. It's special power later on is that it can pierce up to five enemies but that'll rarely pay off.

If you have the TMP, sell your handguns and use that as your handgun with an optional "oh shit" rapid fire mode if things get too dicey.

The starter weapons end up being solid weapons. Handgun gets a 5x headshot multipler (27% or something) but when this comes into player, plagas can take over where the head is so it's a gamble.

The shotgun gets an overall damage boost in the form of no damage drop off but deals the lowest damage.

The bolt action gets a damage upgrade that is fucking nuts and matches the magnum in terms of damage.
>>
>>335897231
Like >>335897494 said, the Punisher is the weakest handgun, however it's a pretty solid weapon, especially because soon you'll be fighting enemies with shields, and the punisher can hit them through the shields.

As much as I like the TMP, I wouldn't recommend buying it as a replacement on your first run. I also don't recommend keeping the bolt action rifle on your first run either. The semi auto one you can get later is a bit weaker, but still kills any enemy or plaga in one hit to the head. It's really only worth it, imo, if you're not going to use the magnum, and why wouldn't you?
>>
>>335897814
I don't see the point in it. The bolt rifle does a shit ton of damage, the ammo is more common, and there's versatility in it while you won't even pull out the magnum except in a boss battle and end up with about 20 rounds left over that you'll never use.

You are correct about the TMP for first timers however. I've ran this game so many times I forget that you don't really know the ways to properly chain with it yet so you end up wasting shots.
>>
>>335897231
Don't bother with the Punisher, since its bonus is so niche you won't really have anything over the other weapons. The other handguns are all great for different reasons. Default handgun has a very high insta-kill chance if you like RNG. Red9 has tons of damage and accuracy with the stock, it's basically like a rifle. Blacktail has the fastest fire rate and good damage to top it off, so it's the best all-rounder.
>>
File: 1460854645377.jpg (44 KB, 463x524) Image search: [Google]
1460854645377.jpg
44 KB, 463x524
>>335898108
You're right about rifle ammo being more common. I actually find myself running out of it a lot thought just because, like you said, it is really versatile. So in that situation it makes sense to have magnum ammo saved for the boss.

But hey, maybe we should just let anon play the game without us telling him how to.
>>
File: re4 hd leaves.jpg (2 MB, 2692x1080) Image search: [Google]
re4 hd leaves.jpg
2 MB, 2692x1080
by waiting until this mod is finished
>>
>>335898147
I can't agree with the blacktail being a good choice seeing how ammo hungry it is. It ends up being the first handgun anyone upgrades because the first player's mentality is "New weapon, better weapon," and I understand that, but I honestly never bother with it and only use Red9 or TMP/NH.

Then again, I also choose NOT to use a magnum and use the bolt action in its stead, so I'm already playing weird.
>>
>>335890726
Headshot, melee. Or kneeshot, melee(if you can do that in 4 I forget). Knive them on the ground if you can.
>>
>>335898362
I'm not a huge fan of the Blacktail myself, but I recommended it because I have to acknowledge its good damage output. It still has the 2nd most firepower among handguns and that combined with its high fire rate makes it relatively powerful.
>>
>>335898360
how far are they?
>>
>>335897231
pistol wise for a first run hang on to what ever (and sell the other). once you hit chapter 3 youll be switching out most of your arsenal for new ones anyway. with possibly the exception of the Red9 pistol which you get in chapter 2 and is the most powerful 9mm in the game. however if you want more speed/capacity then wait for ch3.

theres generally not a bad gun in this game though. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. some just require more skill or are more situational than others. the Punisher for instance while being the weakest can come in real handy later in the game since it can punch a hole through 5 enemies(including shields and doors) at once.
>>
>>335899072
2/3-3/4ths maybe? still a little ways to go, but getting close.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.