[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Justify piracy to someone who has paid for every game they own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: 1456348988746.gif (638 KB, 249x237) Image search: [Google]
1456348988746.gif
638 KB, 249x237
Justify piracy to someone who has paid for every game they own

>inb4 "once games start being good, I won't"
we all know you're full of shit, ya jew
>>
why pay for something that ya can get for free?

steam didn't used to offer refunds, so pirating was a good way to try a game. pirated version saves all most always work with steam.

not everybody can afford to shell out the money for the latest shit and "poor people" is a pretty terrible counter argument. gaming is a hobby and if someone wants to get that shit for free, i don't give a fuck. it's not like that company has or ever will do shit for me.

that said, I buy most of my games but i'm not against pirating.
>>
I do what i want.
>>
>>335883825
I work for minimum wage and I can easily afford games.
>>
File: 1434968945770.jpg (27 KB, 487x327) Image search: [Google]
1434968945770.jpg
27 KB, 487x327
>same thread different day
>>
>>335883963
>sage
>>
because seeing people like you bitch and whine about morals is hilarious
>>
File: shill_gets_pwned.jpg (44 KB, 637x254) Image search: [Google]
shill_gets_pwned.jpg
44 KB, 637x254
>>
>>335883395
you can be edgy on 4chan if you pirate
>>
>>335883931
Then you also don't pay bills, own or rent a home or own a vehicle
>>
>>335883931
not everybody is you or lives in the same country as you.

just saying. I know what it's like to be poor, but I don't know what it's like to be poor in say, Brazil, and I don't pretend to.
>>
>>335884084
That's actually some of the most retarded fucking logic I've ever heard in my entire life.
I mean why pay for food? Its just composed of carbon, I'm already made of carbon so why should I have to pay for something else made up of it?
And he also has absolutely no fucking idea what he's talking about with electricity.
>>
>>335883395
I don't have a lot of money to waste on every single game at day1, so, if I could, I pirate.

Fuck you faggot :^)
>>
you can get things that you normally have to pay for for free.
>>
>>335883395
He died you know.
>>
>>335884084
cars are literally just made of metal, and car companies are greedy, so ill just steal one, im entitled to it.

This guy isnt "pwning" anyone but the welfare office.
>>
>>335883395

I can't morally justify it, shit's wrong. But hey, free shit
>>
>>335883395
Well... You dont own games you pirate, so even someone who pirated 666 games and bought 0, would have paid for everyone they own

>inb4 what about free games
Irrellevant fycking topic, were talking about paid ones
>>
>>335884306
Wrong analogy.

If you payed to have carbon piped into your house should you pay for it again to enjoy it in the form of a cheeseburger?
>>
>>335883395

I'm poor and want to play vidya.
>>
File: justify this.png (29 KB, 629x387) Image search: [Google]
justify this.png
29 KB, 629x387
>>
>>335884593
No, you pay for the designs to turn the carbon into a cheese burger with your materialiser
>>
>>335883395
>justify piracy
I just want free games nignog, I don't need to make excuses
>>
i love piracy threads because it's like a zoo where you get to see the buyfags throw a tantrum in their cage because they're jealous that we get games for free.
>b-b-b-but i'm a math phd who makes 300k a year a-a-a-and i vote with my wallet!!!!!
*licks up ur tears*
>>
I only pirate games that I can't buy anymore, like Prey.
I would've gladly picked it up on Steam or somewhere, but it's not available for purchase ANYWHERE.

I also tend to emulate games that I already own physical copies of because I don't want to not be on my computer to play things.
>>
>>335883395
>Justify piracy
No can do, boss. I'll keep my shekels and spend it on booze or something.
>>
>>335884637
this
>>
>>335884684
3D printing is starting to become a thing. I doubt people will start paying for designs.
>>
>>335883395
may as well take advantage of what you can get out there. There is no point spouting all that 'but I have morals' bullshit, because no one could give two shits. You are actually dumb for not getting things for free - imagine how many hundreds of dollars you could have saved
>>
I've paid for over 200 games, but have also pirated a few.

Some I already bought on a console and didn't want to pay twice for the same game, and others I just got for free because fuck you sometimes I'm broke and don't need to justify it any other way.
>>
>>335884684
but who is it hurting if I just make a copy of someone else's designs. the person or company that made the design? well, I could also just not have their cheeseburger at all. that hurts them just as much because apparently not giving corporations your hard earned money at every opportunity is "hurting" them

THAT'S the retard logic
>>
Some games require 100% online connection in order to play, and sometimes you just want to play that game so badly, even when the internet's down. Pirate it.

Remember those older games you really liked, like Halo: Combat Evolved or Neverwinter Nights? Can't find the old CDs you bought but would love to play them again? Pirate it.

If you are moderately interested in the idea of a game but aren't entirely sold on it, such as getting into a new series or such, but there isn't a demo, pirating the game can just very much be the little bit you need to convince you to buy it. Have friends coming over who you think would love to buy the Age of Empires HD edition and want to play a some games with 'em but don't want to buy it for them on the offchance they won't be interested? Pirate it.

Struggling to get by financially but absolutely can't get away without the urge to play? Make an absolute promise to yourself and "loan" the game to yourself. Darlk Souls III is $60, but you don't get paid until XX/XX/2016? Buy it when you have the money, preferably before the price goes down so you don't feel like a dill pickle. Otherwise, pirate it until then.

Like an older, outdated version of a currently updated game but can't play said outdated version for whatever reason? Most pirated copies have redundant versions of previous models (looking at you, World of Warcraft). Pirate it and find another way to support the company you enjoy.

Have a favorite foreign game that you simply cannot obtain, due to inflated import costs or a lack of official translation? Melty Blood was a big offender of this and, hey, looky there, now it's on Steam. How quaint. Until that game reaches here in the West, pirate it.

All of these are acts of piracy thought through with the intention of being a mindful consumer.
>>
>>335883395
I feign no moral highground.
>>
File: 1447907517493.jpg (147 KB, 561x721) Image search: [Google]
1447907517493.jpg
147 KB, 561x721
>>335883395
>bought the game for the equivelant of $100 when it was released 20 years ago
>not allowed to download it for free when its being sold for $5 at present

there you go
>>
>>335884990
Aye, but you cant download designs from lego, just ones made to fit with them. In this example world you cant download a bigmac design, you download some users version of it that they made
>>
>>335885037
>intellectual property laws.
Fuck man, you just dont get it
>>335885154
>>
>>335885107
>paid to see star wars in movie theatres
>download bluray rip because fuck that I already paid for it
Good try though
>>
>>335885154
>>335885220
information should be free
we'd be exploring the stars if we weren't so obsessed with pieces of paper with dead people printed on it
>>
>>335883395
Generally when its a company I don't want to support but still want to demo that game.

I've never finished a pirated game because I only play them with friends when we have a "bad video game night" in the same vein as a bad movie night.
>>
>>335883395
It's free. There's no moral justification for it, we're just cheap and easy.
>>
>>335883395
>paid for every game they own
I've also paid for every game I own. I don't own the stuff I pirated. :^)
>>
>>335884881
This is the best "argument" for piracy. Game preservation should be the top concerns of all gamers. I'm in my mid-20s, so I was a bit too young to enjoy nearly all of the NES and some SNES/Genesis titles. Though emulation, I have enriched my understanding of gaming by visiting those far-out-of-print titles though emulators. And emulation is awesome and continues to grow in quality and scope.
>>
>>335885220
>>335885307
Did you know you can't patent medicine in India? It's why generics are so dirt cheap there. You also can't patent pretty much anything that would be considered a benefit to mankind, such as food manufacturing processes
>>
>>335885484

>Game preservation should be the top concerns of all gamers.

Absolutely 100% agreed, Anon.
>>
Piracy is morally justifiable in these conditions:
1) Game was never released in your territory
2) Game is out of print and unavailable digitally
3) Your territory is censoring content/releasing the game in a severely altered state
4) Downloading a backup ISO for a physical copy you already own--especially if there were on nearly half a dozen of CD-Roms

That's really it. Or you can just not give a shit what some jerk off on an anonymous message board says and keep up pirating or buying to your heart's content.
>>
>>335885484
With digital distribution, we're basically guaranteed that titles will no longer go "out of print" because there are no longer store shelves to stock with the shit just for the hope of selling a few copies a year. This is definitely an argument for pirating something someone has given up distributing, but really only applies to old console games made by obscure developers who long since disbanded
>>
Every single time I post in one of these sorts of threads, I get no replies to my posts - no one wants to talk about any sort of rational reasons for piracy or the like. People only want to bother responding to the clearly baited, loaded comments people write and fling shit at each other than have intelligent discourse.

Goddamn I fucking hate this place. Saged, called the cops, etc.
>>
>>335885483
Fucking lawyered.

heres your (You) bro
>>
>>335885951

>3) Your territory is censoring content/releasing the game in a severely altered state

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention that in >>335885052. Also owning backup copies. Man, I went through two copies of Halo and I really didn't want to have to buy a third. Glad to see someone with a good head on their shoulders.

>>335885489

I did not know this. That's very interesting to hear, thanks for informing us. Shame that also hinders the country so much though. Imagine the better condition the country could be in. Oh well, hooray for morals I suppose, yeah?
>>
Poor people don't have a sense of ownership so they don't understand what it's like to work very hard on something and expect to be paid for it

Conversely, rich people generally have no idea what it's like being poor and not having money for every day necessities let alone disposable entertainment

You really don't have to justify piracy so much as you need to accept it as a fact and move on. The industry would be so much better if they stopped shoving DRM down everyone's throat. It really only hurts paying customers
>>
>>335886003
Plenty of games are pulled for legal reasons and hence are out of print (Hitman Contracts and likely any other game with a licensed soundtrack). If we wanted to preserve Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 in it's initial form for historical importance--we would have to break some minor and largely ineffectual laws to do so.

Digital distribution also runs out of "keys" frequently--see every Steam sale. Granted, usually they are replaced in a fairly timely manner but there is still small limitations to availability.
>>
>People who say "If I like it I'll buy it."

Don't make up shit that never happens, no one cares if you pirate games just stop telling lies to justify it to yourself.
>>
File: 2414477b.jpg (882 KB, 800x1094) Image search: [Google]
2414477b.jpg
882 KB, 800x1094
Cut content DLC
Rushed unfinished game flaws
Censorship
Episodic ripoffs
Decades of shafting consumers with no refunds on bad products
Undelivered promises by developers
Inflated pricing (not all games are worth the premium price)
Studio folds and game no longer available
Regular Demos only showcase highlights and not true game play
Own game on one system and want to play on another
>>
>>335884084
That is the dumbest fucking argument goddamn
>>
>>335886338

Hey, faggot. Read the thread. Plenty of people arguing for piracy and against that sort of line of thought. It'd be a shame if you read the thread and actually meditated of some peoples' decently thought out posts though.

6/10, fuck me.
>>
File: 1419031739195.gif (5 KB, 140x185) Image search: [Google]
1419031739195.gif
5 KB, 140x185
>>335883395
>Justify piracy
I don't need to. I just need to enjoy the free shit while you fund the kike publishers.
>>
>>335886338
And yet I've done that plenty of times
Last one was factorio
>>
>>335886415
>My other posts didn't get any (You)s ablooo ablooo: The Post
>>
File: 1400480747520.jpg (36 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
1400480747520.jpg
36 KB, 500x669
>>335886394

>Studio folds and game no longer available
>tfw can't pirate City of Heroes like people do with World of Warcraft
>tfw you will never experience City of Heroes ever again
>>
>>335886338
I legitimately purchase about a fifth of all games I pirate usually to play the online portion. I occassionally do so if the game was just really good--but always on Steam Sales.

Games I purchased after pirating in the last few years (off the top of my head):
1) Stardew Valley
2) City Skylines with all DLC
3) Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
4) The Sims 4 (for my gf)
5) WWE 2k15/2k16 (for online with rasselin' frineds)
6) Dark Souls---after the DS Fix was available
7) Trackmania Turbo on uPlay

So---can i use that excuse, senpai? I realize I'm probably an outsider and most never do purchase, still I exist.
>>
>>335886338
I try on steam, if I like it I keep it!
>>
>>335886479

>Thought-full posts written to enlighten discussion
>BUT IT'S JUST ABOUT YOU (YOU)S!

Of course I should expect people who argue against piracy to not see the bigger picture. Silly me! Again, people only want to respond to the loaded comments for the sake of shitflinging. It's so sad and yet I'm falling for what I'm whining about.
>>
justifiying paying for a game:
-want to support the developers
-you rely too much on fiat currency in your worldview
-its fun

conversly
-pirate game to breakdown the current economic mindset. sure during this transition theres going to be a sharp decline in the quality of games.

then it will eventually die off, like all other artistic persuits

when money no longer becomes a motivator, people will eventually be motivated by something else to make theses games.

the best games will obviously be a labour of love
>>
>>335884084
>Paul Simon

THE Paul Simon
>>
>>335886338
Just because you never end up buying it, doesn't mean no one ever does. Stop projecting.
>>
You probably have to make up for something, aka you being a pedo. It's not going to fix all your twisted pics and vids, bruh.
>>
>>335886697
Why would anyone make a large scale game and release it if they weren't going to get paid some how?
Also how else would people make money through games if they didn't sell them? Water them down with advertising and microtransations. I'd sooner pay for a clean game desu.
>>
OH LOOKS IT'S THE SAME FUCKING THREAD I'VE SEEN AT LEAST 100 TIMES
SURE IS INTERESTING READING SHITTY OPINIONS _I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT_ AGAIN
>>
>>335886697
I see where you are coming from but you neglect the side effects of reverting video gaming to a garage-born hobby. Mostly the extinction of consoles and relatively affordable PC hardware. Furthermore, gaming would not attract future minds that could innovate if there was zero paycheck involved. I'm not saying every dev should own three crystal-enshrined Cadillacs, but we need to support the progression of the medium by allowing the creators the ability to live off their fruits.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>335883395
Pirates rate games better compared to people who buy games and feel the need to defend their purchase.
Also free games
Otherwise nothing really.
>>
>>335883395
they're not losing money, because I didn't have it anyway. victimless crime.
>>
>>335886925
>allowing the creators the ability to live off their fruits.
This is rarely what happens though. The people who make the games are being exploited by the jews who run the publishing houses. They're employees, no better than a cashier at Wal-mart, only they're being paid a bit better. If they make a successful great game, they get paid the same as if they make a turd with 99% recycled assets

We DO need to support progression but the current model is broken. I only support indie devs for this reason. Publishers simply need to go.
>>
>>335887018
I never thought of the influence of piracy on a game's perception. I have noted that games that use the currently uncrackable Denuvo are generally discussed less (with the exception of MGS 5 when it was not yet cracked). But I guess it is completely logical that a pirate could easy drop a bad game with no fiscal repercussions (except maybe bandwith concerns if monitored by IP) unlike those with limited cash means who have thrown their proverbial lot in with a game and are now stuck with it until next payday---or holiday if underage.
>>
>>335887256
> If they make a successful great game, they get paid the same as if they make a turd with 99% recycled assets

Not entirely true but I see your point. It well known companies like EA and Ubi will hold developers feet to the fire for releasing poorly reviewed titles---I believe less than 80 on Metacritic is considered a failure. We have seen developers shuttered for making "bad" games. The obvious risk of this practice is using mainstream gaming media as an acurate measuring stick of quality. I won't even furnish a tin-foil hat and scrape up the ghost of paid-off reviews or GamerGate to registered my concern with this.

I wonder if publishers eventually die off---but then again---movie studios still exist and indie film distribution has been at an all time record for ease since the iPhone recorded video and Youtube was created.
>>
>>335887018
I have a hacked Wii U and I feel like I'm one of few people who realize most of the library is mediocre. It's certainly not as glorious as /v/ likes to make it out as. Post-purchase rationalization is definitely a factor
>>
>>335887525
>movie studios still exist
Isn't it going kind of poorly for them though? I mean, Hollywood is basically all remakes now. I feel like it wasn't always like this
>>
>>335885226
what's wrong with that?
>>
>>335883395
I'm cheap.
>>
>>335887738
it's copyright infringement
>>
You could play a lot more games.

If you paid for all the games I've played you'd have lost millions.
>>
>>335883931
Imagine the things you could be buying instead if you weren't retarded!
>>
>>335887856
>probably download over 100 games a year
>delete at least 90 of them because they're mostly shit
the more games you play, the more you realize that most everything just sucks
>>
>>335887782
he asked if there's something wrong, not if it's legal.
>>
>>335887638
I feel like every year is a record breaker. Remakes sell. Just like rehashes sell in the vidya medium. That's not so much a problem with the publisher--who is there for financial backing for developers upfront and with the sole goal of profit making--as it is with the audience buying games.
>>
The real one has a shitty DRM that makes legit copies hard to play.
>>
>>335888184
that's a pretty loaded question then since what's wrong is open to interpretation
>>
>>335886915
>>335886925

So assuming all these would be creators of videogames had all their basic needs met
and have very little preexisting barriers to happiness
except:
>they have this idea
>they want to make a video game
>they don't know how
>but they can learn to make it easily enough
>they later find out that their vision of this game would require improving existing technology
>they don't know how to do this
>but they can learn easily enough
>they can also inspire others to work with them just on the inherent value of the idea of the video game. instead of tempting talent over with large sums of money
>sure the game might not be pushing the envelope in all aspects of the game, but at least the creator wouldn't have to sacrifice their original idea of the game just for marketabililty, CEO/Administrative pet peeves/concerns, etc...

I did say the games will suck while we transition away from a monetary mindset, but once we have fully migrated it will actually be much better for video games.

and don't say we will only get FPS, or NIP nudity visual novels because nostalgia is a very real motivating factor in making and designing and rebooting games.
>>
>>335886529
holy shit. another coh player on /v/. that's like seeing a fucking unicorn in the wild
>>
File: 1453649573882.jpg (121 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
1453649573882.jpg
121 KB, 500x481
>>335883395
It's free real-estate
>>
>I pirate games just to try them out
>if I like them I buy a full copy

does anyone actually believe the shit these pirate jews spew?
>>
File: 1278436104141.jpg (31 KB, 470x400) Image search: [Google]
1278436104141.jpg
31 KB, 470x400
>mfw just bought a 3TB hard drive and a VPN

ayyy non pirate shitters be mad
>>
>>335883931
Or you could save that money to put it into other aspects of life. Hell, if you feel it is a question of morality then just pirate games and put that money to helping out people that are on hard times.
>>
>>335887018

don't mind me anon just pirating that image. got more like it?
>>
>>335883395
Out of 11 3DS games, I've only beaten 4. I've given them enough of my money, anon. If I find a game I actually finish, I'll buy it.
>>
>>335883395
when I find a book that seems interesting I'll read a bit before I decide on buying it or not.

when I find a game that seems interesting, I'll pirate it before I decide on buying it or not (unless there's a demo then I'll just download that)
>>
>>335887954
I believe piracy---especially high volume piracy--can lead to jadedness. I am with you--I pirate at least 4-5 games a month and really only play maybe a third of them for more than an hour or so. It's much easier to give up on a game if the only cost was HDD and bandwidth cap space and time. It goes both ways--I've thrown in the towel prematurely at certain games because the mere thought that a better game was a handful of mouse clicks away and ventured back to it months later and enjoyed the hell out of it. If I was limited by cash--or bandwidth--I might have never quit and would have a higher, less fragmented opinion on the game. But--there is definately dogs out there you cannot uninstall fast enough as you sigh a relief that your money is still nestled in your sock draw unperturbed.
>>
>>335883886
This is the only correct answer in the thread
>>
>>335883395
When I was dirt poor I pirated 100% of my music, movies and games. I felt bad at times.
I barely had money for food and one semester didn't have any money for rent and had to keep all of my stuff in my car and hide/sleep in the campus library. There's no way in hell I would have bought anything I pirated if I lost that option. I'd have just replayed Civs 2 and 3.

>Now I make good money and really don't even consider pirating an option.
>>
If you had a choice between having something for free, or paying for it, why wouldn't you take it for free? Nothing else matters. It's not like stealing from a shop where there's a high risk of getting caught, here the risk is zero.
>>
>>335883395
>we all know you're full of shit, ya jew

feel free to not trust it, but that's what I do
I recently tried disgaea on pc, after 4 hours I noticed this piece of trash was ported by autists and it became an unplayable mess running at 10 FPS in most levels, not to mention the mouse controls are shit

any other question?
>>
>>335883395
The government will not stop me. A law with no enforcement is not worthy of being a law, and merely exists to appease some whiny faggots.
Piracy also does not take away sales. Piracy adds more power to the consumer by allowing them to see past marketing campaigns, and experience the actual game. Many people would not buy if they had the inability to experience this. Something interesting is how someone justifies a sale that is based on deception, lies, smoke, and mirrors in order to make a game as appealing as possible. Consumers need to have the power to stand up to this illusory bullshit.
>>
60 jewmonies is a lot of money where I live.

Your game better offer me at least 100+ hours of fun if you expect to see me spend any money on it
>>
>>335883395
im fucking poor
>>
File: 1429422434534.jpg (28 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
1429422434534.jpg
28 KB, 600x448
>>335883395
It's better to try out games before you buy them. Since they don't make demos anymore -
I pirated a lot of games that turned out to be utter crap, and I'd be mad if I paid them for this shit.

Obviously you by games that you liked.
That's the real way to pirate.
>>
>>335883395
I plan on pirating Dark Souls 3 just to see if I can run it. If I can I'll buy it again
>>
>>335888310
Once again---I see where you are coming from but you fail to recognize the (small) good that comes from the current model. Mostly in the realm of QA. Considering the absolute horror stories that have sprung forth from various QA testers in forums and gaming sites; i doubt you could find a team of people that would be willing to do this for---presumably---less pay (as unions and minimum wage would not be applied to boutique projects) and less benefits.

Your post also does not address my concerns about hardware creation being dulled or completely abandoned. I guess you can say we will stop progressing technology and focus on the "art" of video game crafting, but that too will reach limits in decades when our CPU/GPU technology has stagnated due to minimal need for performance parts by the mainstream consumer.

This plan would be "better" for gaming only for us--those too deep in the vidya tank to ever leave. Those who would actively track down video games. Art does not improve by limiting the audience but rather expanding the audience. The secret that /v/ will never believe is that it is okay if some games are simply not for you---I would rather lick the undersole of my shoe than play Candy Crush but I know plenty of well adjusted people who enjoy it. I have my Train Simulator, my DOOM wads, my annual F1 game and a handful of PC strategy games to keep me warm. And that's great too.
>>
>>335888387
>paying for piracy
>ayylmao.gif
>>
File: physical form of aut.jpg (22 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
physical form of aut.jpg
22 KB, 277x296
>>335889452
>paying to buy hardware is paying for piracy
is this bait?
>>
>>335883395
it´s faster than going to store and giant companies dont really care about what you play or dont play. just torrent the older than half years releases and everything is fine, if the games were good buy them later the torrent´s like the demo they dont give out themselves anymore. also great for doing benchmarks
>>
>>335883395
Games are so shit Im not even bothering to pirate them anymore. Jus dont, and pick a better hobby instead until the industry get its shit together or crashes.
>>
>>335883886
>>
Can get it for free with just few click, why do I even need to trouble myself by paying it?
>>
Free shit, who needs to justify it?
>>
File: tdy_ian_hornets_131008.jpg (660 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tdy_ian_hornets_131008.jpg
660 KB, 1920x1080
>>335883395
Because I can.

Whose going to stop me?
>>
>>335889230
and once again you fail to realize that you are still using money/economy as the main motivator

what I am saying is that we should get rid of that motivator all together.

also theres been a few games that have been "released" to the public who then act as play testers.
the devs take their criticisms to heart or they drop the project and move on from it.

i think you are pulling a sophistry to win this. Infact i think you are playing ignorant to the fact that what I am saying is that
money shouldn't exist
not that its evil
it just shouldn't exist

you are still debating me acting like you are ignoring this vital premise to my posts.

and how would getting rid of the economic factor actually be limiting to the audience? To me it would be expanding it since it removes the restriction of economy for those that want to appreciate art, also removes the barrier of economy to create art.

I mean we would still judge the idea on probably a more aesthetic or practical value, but then again most artists were held to their patrons as to what art they could create. At least this way the profit margin wont be the ultimate decider.

Though given the nature of starving an artists to make him produce good art would also be something we would have to deal with in this future where everyone didn't have to worry about paying rent, or bills, or buying groceries, or clean clothes.
>>
File: 23572369437.png (2 MB, 1506x938) Image search: [Google]
23572369437.png
2 MB, 1506x938
>>335883395
Who's gonna stop me motherfucker
I actually own and paid for this game anyway so whatever.
>>
File: 66egpzy.gif (400 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
66egpzy.gif
400 KB, 960x540
>>335883395
i live in shit country. I barely have money for have of the month and my entire family has to live on white rice and bread for the rest of the month. My electricity was almost cut this month. Politicians are crooks here and even government is involve in drugs. FUCK YOU and your amoral "piracy" thing i dont give a fuck. If can download a game to keep from killing myself another month, I will.
>>
>>335883395
I paid for GTAIV and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Their DRM causes these games to not run now. The Starforce DRM for Chaos Theory fucks up on any OS after Vista. Games for Windows Live is dead and the games that used it are unplayable...pirates get a better experience than me, the paying customer.

So go fuck yourself, OP.
>>
>>335890953
You must be living in that one southeast Asia country anon
>>
>>335884131

And if he ever gets a job, he won't be mad if they don't pay him.
>>
File: nyxnina.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nyxnina.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
If you pirate a game, the only factor that goes into playing the game is the game itself. You're no longer playing to justify your purchase, but instead playing because you want to.
>>
>>335883395

I really love piracy. Thanks to piracy we have things like DRM and companies rehashing popular series for decades (CoD, Halo, Madden) because they can't afford to take risks. Piracy also brought the Age of Consoles, which in turn brought us broken PC ports of the few games they even bother to port over.

In short, pirates cucked them selves, and now we all suffer.
>>
>>335891682
Wow piracy is so cool. They can change the world. I love them
>>
>>335891031
>Games for Windows Live is dead and the games that used it are unplayable
GFWL is still up. if a game doesn't work for you, it's just because GFWL is as buggy and shitty as it ever was.
>>
>>335891682
>everything is bad because piracy
sure, companies like ea exist and thrive because people pirate their games, not because idiots just buy their "new" game every year.
>>
>>335891783

EA caters to the lowest common denominator, even if people pirate their shit, enogh people buy that bland shit it for EA to make a tidy profit.

Being bland and appealing to everyone and having brand recognition is the best way to make money in the industry, and this leads to less interesting games. And piracy has a huge part of the blame for this.
>>
>>335892143
>EA caters to the lowest common denominator
yes.
>Being bland and appealing to everyone and having brand recognition is the best way to make money in the industry
yes.
>and this leads to less interesting games.
yes.
>And piracy has a huge part of the blame for this
how did you come to that conclusion?
>>
if I don't pirate games i will never be able to play them until they are $15 dollars or less on steam or some shit

i guess $15 dollars is better than nothing, but i would literally have to wait 2 years after a game's release to buy them at a price that im comfortable with.

Why would I wait 2 years to play a game when I can play it right now for free.
>>
>>335892315
maybe they need games to rake in higher numbers to make up for piracy or some shit, thats what i concluded from his post anyways
>>
>>335892315

Why take a chance on a new exciting game idea, if people are just going to steal it anyway?
>>
>>335892618
I think it's more like
>why take a chance on a new and exciting game idea if people buy the same rehashed 60 dollars cover shooter anyway every year?
They're companies and their objective is money.
They make more money releasing the same thing over and over because it costs less to do so than developing a "new and exciting game idea" that might or not work in the market.
Piracy has nothing to do with it.
>>
It's not about getting free shit.
Im a broke uni student , I simply dont have the money to throw around on vidya , I barely make the month.
In the off-chance that a month isn't horrible financially , I go out of my way to buy games I've pirated before if they're on sale
>>
>>335892856

Yeah I guess you got me there, rehashes will always exist. But I still claim that developers are less likeley to take risks due to piracy. If a big portion of consumers are just going to steal your product, you are less likeley to turn a profit on ideas that may be risky to start with.

So piracy may not have caused the rehash problem, but it sure as hell ain't helping it.
>>
>>335883886
my nigga
>>
>>335892381

because if you cant for the asking price you don't deserve to play them, you entitled fuck?
>>
>>335890805
Weird coincidence, I actually own TP too but I still played it in Dolphin recently.
It's because my dumbass friend broke the disc of my gamecube version
>>
>>335891672
this
>>
>buy game
>its a big shit because i'm not a retard who feels i should like everything i buy
>the more it happens the less games i buy
>>
>>335893239
So you pay for all your music, movies, porn, etc? You don't have a single file full of copyrighted material on your hard drive?

Yeah shut the fuck up you entitled fuck.
>>
>>335883395
What about those who already bought a copy of something, but then, something happened to their copy of it for reasons beyond their control (horrible accidents, someone stupid in their family wrecking their stuff, etc)? And then they use piracy to get it back.

Really, they're only getting back what they've paid for.
>>
File: 1403278013667.jpg (60 KB, 573x684) Image search: [Google]
1403278013667.jpg
60 KB, 573x684
>>335883395
I haven't bought a game for fourteen years.
>>
>>335883395

Once games start being good, I won't.

I'm not jewish.
>>
>>335884098
Piracy is seen as edgy on 4chan? Really?

Did everyone forget we used to have an /rs/ board?
>>
>>335883931

Cuck
>>
It's more economic than buying games.
>>
File: 1429496040937.png (37 KB, 121x128) Image search: [Google]
1429496040937.png
37 KB, 121x128
Question: How can piracy be stealing when according to the EULA you don't actually own the games that you paid for?
>>
>>335893386
I seriously hope that noone thinks this picture is accurate
>>
>>335884660

> 'JUSTIFY PIRACY BREH'
> One decent image with decent arguments for piracy

> Zero responds
>>
I can't hear you over the sound of all these video games.
>>
>>335893129
>it sure as hell ain't helping it.
probably nothing can.
>I still claim that developers are less likeley to take risks due to piracy.
maybe some indie devs scared nobody will buy their game. yet games like minecraft, which was a project started by a no one, sold exceptionally even though you can not only pirate it easily and access updates with the cracked launcher, but even play online with a cracked version.
I'd even argue piracy helped with the popularization of the game.
>>
>>335893603

> I'd even argue piracy helped with the popularization of the game

Retard.
>>
>>335884805

You have clearly never met a math Ph.D.

Pro tip, they are poor.
>>
>>335893660
Great rebutle, you sure showed him.
>>
>>335884805

> They're jealous that we get games for free
> Get for free
> Get
> Free
>>
>>335883395
I pirate games that I emulate when I don't own the console and can't find a disc copy for less than a game being released now. I just pirated SO2 because I don't have a console that can run it anymore, and I'm not planning on spending over $60 to play a game released over 15 years ago on a console that doesn't get produced anymore.

But to be honest, there isn't a good ethical justification for piracy, especially if you wind up liking the game, or if you like the company producing it. Yet, there's a way to justify it under certain circumstances.
>>
>>335893687
Protip: It's a meme.
>>
>>335893739

t-t-thanks
>>
>>335893660
you sure got me.
you think all those kids that don't have access to their mother's credit card (unlike you) are not going to tell their friends about the game and only play alone forever?
retard.
>>
>>335893853

> 'He called me a retard. Thankfully I know exactly who I am dealing with. And I will point him on his fault by mentioning his mother! That'll show the rest that I am the better person here!'

> Retard

That's what I said. In a contributing manner, I only buy multiplayer games. I recently bought Rome 2.
>>
>>335886003

I'm sure that online activation server will be online forever...

I mean, nobody plays 10 year old games...
>>
>>335883395
I have bills to pay for and a job that honestly isn't all that great. I still want to play videogames, and I don't want to waste my money on bad games. I'll try it for the first few hours and buy it if I like it, but if I don't, I'm not going to insult the developers by playing it to fruition.
>>
File: 1461117767650.gif (188 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1461117767650.gif
188 KB, 550x400
I was told countless times that my sale was worthless and irrelavent back when people complained about censorship in shitty localizations. Now that I'm pirating my money matters to you all of a sudden?

How about go fuck yourself OP
>>
>>335893926
fine I will reiterate in a less offensive manner.
you think all those kids that don't have access to their mother's credit card are not going to tell their friends about the game and only play alone forever?
>>
I feel like shit for a good week or so if I buy a game I dislike.
>>
>>335886003
Good luck buying Mafia 1+2 without resorting to shady gray market key sites.

Piracy was 100% justified as soon as 2K pulled it from Steam and everywhere else.
>>
>>335894048

> Some one pirates a game
> Means he's a kid that has zero money

What kind of twisted logic are you even using?

> Give me a reason for why you pirate games
> 'Well, my reason i-'
> 'NO YOURE JUST A KID!'
>>
>>335894210
The fuck? i'm a pirate too. Stop avoiding the point, I was trying to show with an example why I think piracy in some cases helps with the viralization of a game. Did you read what i wrote?
>>
>>335894415

> Did you read what I wrote?

No.
>>
>>335883395
The only reason I use for pirating games is that they're really overpriced. Very few video games are worth 100NZD which is the average price for a new game here. Their actual value is probably about 30-40 NZD, so I basically accidentally average it out because I buy about every third game I play so the price on average per game ends up around their "true" value. I just can't afford to spend hundreds a year on vidya when it's not actually WORTH that
>>
>>335893114
>I don't want free things, I'm just entitled to things I can't afford because I have no money
Boo hoo poorfag, you don't get free audio visual entertainment like vidya for free just because you can't afford it. They aren't included in your basic human rights.
>>
File: head on keyboard.jpg (80 KB, 1300x921) Image search: [Google]
head on keyboard.jpg
80 KB, 1300x921
>>335894464
>>
>Buy game as soon as it comes out
>"No DLC, games complete" beforehand
>Announce DLC later
>Fuck them, whatever I want it
>Get season pass
>Around a month after DLC release new version of game is made that can't play with the old version, with DLC included at original price
>Expect me to rebuy the whole fucking thing

Nah they can go fuck themselves, I'll pirate just out of spite now.
>>
>>335894519
>person who can't afford it anyways
>not actually taking money from devs by pirating

bottom five troll
>>
>>335894519
>you don't get free audio visual entertainment like vidya for free just because you can't afford it.

Actually we do. Same with movies, music, comics, porn, and pretty much every other media that is freely shared on the interenet including the very site you're posting on right now.

It's been like this for more than 20 years now, if you don't like it go cry about it.
>>
>>335894579

wew
>>
>Could spend $60 on a video game
>Or could save up to buy a half ounce of weed.
>>
>>335894482
>think a product is worth less so you pay less for it by stealing it and buying something from the next guy
Brilliant.
>>
>>335894760

Degenerate
>>
>>335883395

I don't have to justify anything
>>
File: 1402529653588.jpg (9 KB, 219x219) Image search: [Google]
1402529653588.jpg
9 KB, 219x219
>Go to store
>Take an apple
>It's okay because I wasn't going to buy one anyway

If you are going to make use of a product or service, you pay for it. Fucking faggots.
>>
File: trash-can.jpg (14 KB, 274x287) Image search: [Google]
trash-can.jpg
14 KB, 274x287
>>335894824

> You're wrong because of something else that's slightly similar

> Fucking faggot
>>
>>335883395
They don't sell games in my contry, it also cost a ton of money.
>>
i don't care about moral or legal issues related to pirating things, so i pirate most games that can be pirated. sometimes i buy things i specifically want to support.
>>
>>335894786
You seem to think this is a process I justify to myself

It's totally not, I did it entirely subconsciously and only just now realised why in order to explain to the OP. I don't buy games on occasion to make myself feel morally better, I buy them because I can't torrent them. I would never ever buy a PC game unless it had some feature like online play that wouldn't be the same. I have no moral issue with torrenting whatsoever, no need to justify it to myself
>>
>>335894815
>Judgemental implications
>>
>Anon why don't you buy this new game (publisher by EA)
>"Hurr EA is garbage I'm not giving money to these fuckers, plus Origin"

>Anon why don't you buy this new game (publisher by Ubisoft)
>"Hurr Ubishit is garbage I'm not giving money to these fuckers, plus Uplay"

>Anon why don't you buy this new game (publisher by Blizzard)
>"Hurr Neo-Blizzard is garbage I'm not giving money to these fuckers, plus BattleNet"

>Anon why don't you buy this new game (available on Steam)
>"I'll pirate it and finish it and if it was good I'll buy it in 3 years for $2 in a Steam sale"

Do pirates even realize all the trouble and bullshit justifications they're going through to avoid admitting they're just poor?
>>
>>335895061
>>335894810
>>
>>335894876
No. I'm right because taking something without paying for it is objectively wrong.
>>
>pirates still buy games after wards

Why would you buy the game afterwards if piracy doesn't harm anything?

ARE YOU LOOKING TO COMPENSATE PERHAPS?
>>
>>335895117

> I'm objectively right in a subject I know nothing about
>>
tits
>>
>>335894824
>If you are going to make use of a product or service, you pay for it.

So do you pay to post on 4chan?

Are you paying for the browser you're using right now?

Did you pay for the porn you jacked off to earlier today?
>>
im just sad that denuvo is going to become more of a thing
>>
>>335895243
Instead of trying hard to meme, why not come with a legit argument?
How is making use of a product, like a video game, without paying for it NOT morally corrupt?
>>
>>335895285
Is 4chan a paid service? No. Is my browser? No. Is the porn? No.
Try again. Try harder.
>>
>>335895285
Are you literally retarded?
Apples have a price set by the store.
Games have a price set by the stores.

4chan is free
My browser is free
>>
>>335895306
>Instead of trying hard to meme

You're using the word objectively to describe your own moral values.
>>
>Justify piracy to someone who has paid for every game they own
Nah.
>>
>>335895127
Shhhh, you'll break their hipocrisy.
>>
>>335895306

> Meme

What

> Why not come with a legit argument?

Every one is entitled to downloading torrents because there's literally nothing there to stop them. It's just people crying and complaining.

If I want to steal a bike, I will steal a bike. And you can't do anything to stop me.

And I'm not 'meme-ing' as you call it, i'm quoting your retarded arguments.

> Steal apple
> Torrent Game
> Same thing

You using retarded logic and claiming you are right afterwards makes you look like a moron.
>>
>>335895391
Yes? I'm backing it up. There is nothing wrong with doing that.
>>
File: purge1.png (68 KB, 462x448) Image search: [Google]
purge1.png
68 KB, 462x448
>>335883395
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
this video explains it pretty in depth
skip to 0:20 and give it a listen
>>
>>335895439
>Every one is entitled to downloading torrents because there's literally nothing there to stop them
Doesn't make it right, retard. Being able to do something is not a legitimate reason why anyone should.
>>
>>335895449
I don't think you know what the word objectively means
Probably because you're meming right now.
>>
>>335895524

> Every one's entitled to downloading torrents because there's nothing there to stop them

Where does it say 'right'?

People have personal reasons for downloading torrents. I download singleplayer games and pay for multiplayer games. I never got caught and I never will be.

I simply refuse to pay 60 dollars for a singleplayer game that I can finish in a day or two. It's my choice and you have nothing to say about it.

> Retard

Retard.
>>
>>335895621
You are not entitled to the games you steal.
>>
>>335895524
Being able to do something that doesn't harm anyone is more than legitamite reason to do so. Nothing you say makes it wrong, fucking retard.
>>
>>335883825
It's Steam. Who the fuck is so poor that they can't buy vidya on Steam?
>>
File: 1429922871481.png (140 KB, 243x325) Image search: [Google]
1429922871481.png
140 KB, 243x325
>>335895697
>steal
>>
>Justify getting something for free
Doesn't work like that m8. You're the one spending your hard earned money on things, YOU need justification.
>>
File: 1390606992288.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1390606992288.png
14 KB, 800x600
>>335895726
>that doesn't harm anyone
I refuse to believe people are this dumb. You are harming someone. The developers and publishers of the product you are stealing. You can say that they don't need the money, but it's not your call to make. They deserve your money if you are going to use their game. Simple as that. Stop being a rat.
>>
>>335895127
Because they want to support the developer and want to make more of the thing they pirated. You know, the whole "voting with your wallet thing"
It's not difficult, children.

>>335895424
How is buying after you pirate hypocrisy?
Are you saying people should NEVER buy games they want if they pirate and vice versa?
>>
>>335895726
If it doesn't harm anyone, please explain why every developer out there tries to prevent piracy will all kinds of DRMs / protections.

CDProjekt Red fucking sued pirates when Watchier 2 was the most pirated game in history. Don't you think they reacted like that because piracy was a direct threat to them?
>>
>>335884174
Then stop getting video games until you get a better job. If you're poor, it's usually your own fault anyway
>>
>>335895881
>>335893318
>>
>>335895956
>How is buying after you pirate hypocrisy?
If you are pirating the game in the first place, why would you want to buy the game? If you say ''to support the developers'' you are a hypocrite by pirating it in the first place, since you acknowledge a wrongdoing.
>>
File: 1427240530557.jpg (15 KB, 299x293) Image search: [Google]
1427240530557.jpg
15 KB, 299x293
>>335896037
Yes? I do. I pay for streaming services to listen to music and watch movies. It's cheap and simple.
>>
>>335883395
If i can get the same exact thing for free, faster, and with less effort than paying for it, and i don't even have to stand up from my chair or leave my house, then why the fuck would i pay any money for it?
I don't give a shit about supporting any devs. I didn't ask them to make the game.
Plenty of moralfags, paranoid idiots afraid of viruses, people who don't care, people who don't know any better, people who don't understand how things work and people like OP will buy their games and support them so i don't have to anyway. So why should i?

Also because i can and nor you or anyone can do anything about it.
>>
Copyright infringement is not a real crime, it's a corporate fabrication.
>>
File: kru.png (149 KB, 295x348) Image search: [Google]
kru.png
149 KB, 295x348
>>335895881
>>335895961
Piracy is harming the video game industry, much in the same way it harms the music industry and the movie industry. Piracy is such a powerful force that it can cause massive damage despite obstacles like “baseless supposition” and “lack of evidence”. It’s the Freddy Kreuger of any business: you can’t ever see it because it damages you in your dreams, with the injury magically becoming real, but then it’s too late. It’s that strong
>>
>>335896098
Good for you. I'm sure you pay for your porn too.
>>
>>335896130
It does harm the industry. There is no denying that. The amount of damage may be small, but it's there and makes piracy immoral.
>>
File: VK9pCyM.jpg (108 KB, 754x555) Image search: [Google]
VK9pCyM.jpg
108 KB, 754x555
>>335883395
I don't have to Justify anything. I pirate because I can.

If the game is worth the money and the devs are nice I will pay for it, that's about it.
>>
File: 1457895233086.png (22 KB, 572x600) Image search: [Google]
1457895233086.png
22 KB, 572x600
>tfw just buy games on steam because it's faster than searching for a torrent
>>
>>335896130
please, illustrate all the harm piracy has done to our "beloved" industry.
>>
>>335896046
So how are you supposed to know if a game is worth supporting beforehand?

Oh wait, your next line is something fucktarded like "watch it on Youtube".
>>
>>335896130
That's a pretty good analogy.
>>
>>335896130
I don't give a flying fuck about any industry though. The gaming industry is all shit anyway. The companies who run the gaming industry don't give a shit about me, only money, so why should i give a shit about them?
>>
>>335896192
Nope. There exists a whole bunch of free porn, so I don't really need to pay for that. It feels good to see you frustrated that your last resort backfired on you though.
You have nothing, rat.
>>
>>335895370
>Is porn a paid service? No.
Fucking retard.
>>
>I have money
>therefore I must spend it
Idiot.
>>
>>335896224
>So how are you supposed to know if a game is worth supporting beforehand?
Watching reviews from people you trust, looking up gameplay footage, reading criticism from users or friends, play a demo etc.
>>
>>335896335
Or just use a source far more reliable than all of those combined: torrents.
>>
>>335894824
That does not make any sense. Stop trying to compare physical things that exist in real life, things that you can touch and take, to purely digital products that exist on your computer.
>>
>>335896401
>Games aren't physical therefore it's okay to steal them!
Liberals, everyone.
>>
>>335896196
>It does harm the industry. There is no denying that.
There is considering the lack of evidence for it.

Of course there's no reasoning with someone who thinks morality = evidence.
>>
>>335896458
>There is considering the lack of evidence for it.
You're not paying for a service that requires payment. In doing so, you are harming the provider. It's extremely simple logic here.
>>
>>335896449
Pretty much. Physical goods are produced for each customer individually and include a production cost per unit. Digital goods are produced once and can be infinitely replicated at negligible costs.
>>
>>335896269
Unless you're jerking off to nothing but personal homemade amature videos, I doubt you're jerking off to only free material.

But if we're going by your logic, there exists a whole bunch of free games, so I don't really need to pay for games.

It sure feels good to watch your entire argument compeltely backfire and crumble apart in an instant.

You have nothing. Just ad hominems and appeals to moral.
>>
There's no moral justification for it, and I won't pretend to have one. I just don't give a fuck enough to buy stuff.
>>
>>335896335
So you have never heard that a game was great, bought it and thought it sucked? Do you expect us to believe that you have never been fucked over because you read the reviews?
>>
>>335896554
>It's just like that!
Not proof.
>>
>>335896601
>Unless you're jerking off to nothing but personal homemade amature videos
Nope. Fanmade chinese cartoon girls, actually. They're literally free.
>>
>>335896554
Prove to me that someone who got it for free would have paid for it if it wasn't available for free. Once you do that, i'll start to give a fuck about piracy.
>>
>>335896554
Except video games aren't a service. They are products.

>In doing so, you are harming the provider.
Where's your proof. Show me the damages.
>>
File: 1413528082843.png (718 KB, 742x574) Image search: [Google]
1413528082843.png
718 KB, 742x574
>>335883395
>justify free stuff
you don't know how humans works, do you
>>
>>335896458
The evidence is consoles always sell more
>>
>>335896617
No, that's happened to me like it has happened to everyone else. I sold the game and didn't trust the reviewer for future reviews.
>>
>>335896295
I only watch amateur porn, checkmate piratescum.
>>
>>335896696
I hope you don't think translated scans count as "fanmade" porn, because otherwise lol

Also why should I get lectured about why piracy is wrong by someone who jerks off to nothing but fanmade chinese cartoons?
>>
>>335896743
>like it has happened to everyone else
Except smart people who pirate first.
>>
>>335896743
Do you know what would have made that not happen? Torrent it, play it for an hour and buy the game if you like it.
>>
>>335896603
You mean you're poor?
>>
>>335884084
>data files are comprised of electricity in the form of 1s and 0s
>electricity
>1s and 0s
>>
Piracy is illegal.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.