[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, you motherfuckers, this man walks up to you and hands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16
Alright, you motherfuckers, this man walks up to you and hands you a billion dollars. He tells you to save the MMO genre.

What the fuck do you do?
>>
stop making MMOs
>>
take money and agree.

>start company
>make shitty mobile games with aggressive free to play shit in them
>fund 1 dream project game

fuck mmos, dead genre.
>>
remove wow

Put the Gower brothers in charge of approving new releases.

remove wow again just to be sure
>>
I make a game where you can run around a big field with some hills and buildings. You can find weapons such as an axe or a pistol or some other guns. There are zombies that chase you around. You can come across other players and it's up to you if you want to team up with them or kill them. Also, there'll be a crafting system.

We'll put it in Early Access too, so more people can enjoy our game faster. We also need the money to finish the game.
>>
I take his glasses to make him look less smart, diminishing his social worth to those around him and leave with the money.
>>
>>335882405
understand how much of a waste it is to spend that money making a game and kill myself
>>
>>335882405
Fuck him in the ass.
>>
>>335882405
escape to the Caribbean islands and hope he doesn't find me
>>
take the money and tell him to fuck off cause MMOs are inherently cancer
>>
>>335882405
Legacy servers.
>>
File: pretentious dessert.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
pretentious dessert.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>335882405
Buy the rights to every MMo in existence and shut them all down without warning. Time to put the bullet in Old Yeller's head.
>>
Take the money, make a failed Kickstarter, run away.

I win.
>>
i buy blizzard, force them to release legacy servers, and then branch out development after BC without making all the absolutely awful mistakes they did

done, fixed.
>>
>>335882405
Relaunch Darkscape but make membership give 4x xp rate.
>>
Give the Secret World a budget.
>>
File: 1458840848419.png (61 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1458840848419.png
61 KB, 321x322
>>335883417
>>
>>335883417
>hand out lots of dosh to mmo guys
>they make a spiritual successor with the money
>>
File: 1374422398399.jpg (207 KB, 1273x717) Image search: [Google]
1374422398399.jpg
207 KB, 1273x717
>>335882405
Create a technology that makes action MMo's viable

Beyond that, make instanced MMo's to the likeness of Dragon's Dogma combat.

Make it about builds and abilities, not leveling and the overwhelming 'end-game'.

Otherwise, I'm fairly certain the traditional MMoRPG genre is dead.
>>
tell the shota to fuck off
>>
>>335883763
this
>>
>>335884185
>Beyond that, make instanced MMo's to the likeness of Dragon's Dogma combat.
Vindictus already exists, and nobody plays it. I'm surprised that Nexon keeps it alive.
>>
File: 1460533213781.jpg (46 KB, 308x445) Image search: [Google]
1460533213781.jpg
46 KB, 308x445
>>335882405
Make a Freelancer MMO
>>
>>335884185
Honestly if it gets too into builds where you need an autistic spreadsheet to even play half decent, it becomes more of a chore than a game.
>>
It's like Dark Souls mixed with Monster Hunter, but with like a lot of players playing at the same time like WoW.
>>
>>335882405
make the combat feel more like an action game than Neverwinter Nights

put a stronger emphasis on the solo experience and on small groups of friends playing the game together, less emphasis on forty man guild raids.

strong emphasis on fashion. shitty gear can be upgraded to keep up with current drops. Dye is easily obtainable.

Traveling from place to place is cheap and easy.

new abilities are new, not just better versions of abilities you already had. You have lots of abilities to choose from.

No classes, but some skills and abilities synergize with others in intuitive ways.

Don't lock yourself into one genre. Have drastically different regions with different kinds of things you can get from them. If your wizard guy wants to go to the cyberpunk city and get a shotgun, go for it.

basically combine the best aspects of Diablo II, Monster Hunter, Secret World and City of Villains.
>>
>>335884635

Don't get me wrong, the concept makes my dick rock solid, but how would you execute it?

MH operates with small contained areas, and Dark Souls would start to feel less roomy once more than 10+ are in the same area. Unless you got a big ass overworld with every player and smaller dungeon-type shit with a player limit
>>
>>335885075
>the concept makes my dick rock solid, but how would you execute it?
You're fired.
>>
Make the game as open ended as possible with no real goals, but give the players the tools to carve the game into their collective vision. Basically something like Second Life or Minecraft, but with a solid combat/gameplay mechanics. Add in a lot of minigames like cooking/crafting, fishing, farming/gardening, some sort of card game, things players can do that aren't combat focused. Then you let the players loose and let them turn the game into what they want. Will they coexist and build peaceful communities together? Will they rape and pillage and wage war to troll other players? It's basically like handing knives to a bunch of monkeys and seeing how long it takes for them to start stabbing each other. Just one giant social experiment under the guise of a video game.
>>
>>335882405
I take the money and do whatever I want with it desu
>>
>>335882405
Pinch his cheeks

Call him something like Sport or Champ.
>>
>>335883763
This. The actual game design is garbage, but the writing is some of the best in gaming.
>>
>>335882405
Keep it to a simple, charming, 2D artstyle and an isometric camera angle. We only have a billion dollars here - WoW used to make that every year. Besides cutting costs, it's much easier to differentiate yourself from the competition like this.

The model is simple. Players can download the game and do whatever they want in the central "hub" as much as they want. They can merch, they can socialize, they can craft, you name it. If they want to leave the hub, they need "Time". You can buy Time with real money, or you can trade for it with other players, or a few other ways. Also monetize with a cash shop, unique hairstyles, cosmetics, that sort of thing.

Make one of the main focuses exploration. Procedurally generate the world, and re-generate it every few weeks/ months. Monsters will get switched out, droprates might change, dungeons will be rotated out for new dungeons. This keeps things from getting too old and stale. It's imperative to have a good generation algorithm, though, to keep things from being samey, and to vet and edit the world yourself to make it seem less cold and randomly generated.

No classes, just races. No skills, just items and equipment. No gold, just trading and bartering - not PoE's thing, either, with the weird currency items. Just items. Put in a deep, powerful system whereby players can form contracts with each other, to exchange goods and services.
>>
File: EilaNya 001.jpg (212 KB, 1280x905) Image search: [Google]
EilaNya 001.jpg
212 KB, 1280x905
>>335882405
I don't fucking understand why MMOs are considered a genre, it's just a game with a thousand players on a server. Fuck it, I would just make a Halo MMO

>Two Factions, UNSC and Covenant.
>Can play as Spartan II and III aswell as an ODST for the human side.
>Elites, Brutes and Engineers for the Covenant side.
>Takes place on an entire Halo ring with an extensive underground dungeon that connects to every single structure on the surface.
>Both factions can recover Forerunner artifacts and return them to their ship to develop more advanced weapons and armor. Larger artifacts would require vehicles to transport.
>Entirely PVP focused, no quests. Round based, each round lasts one month.
>At the end of a month victory goes to whichever team got the most points by collecting resources, developing tech and getting kills.
>Games can be won early depending on what one faction does.
>Humans can win early if they destroy the ring or destroy the Covenant's home ship.
>Covenant win if they activate the ring or destroy the human home ship.
>Also the Flood is imprisoned on the ring and can either be released by the players, or will eventually escape on it's own.
>A round will end in a tie if the Flood consume both Faction's home ship.

As for how the classes work:
>Spartan II's work as they do in the original trilogy, but can use armor abilities.
>Spartan III's have no shields, but have medium strength active camo, are smaller and can use armor abilities 20% better than SII's.
>ODSTs can heal other players, buff shields, repair vehicles, can call in supply drops and can use drop pods at 200% efficiency.

>Elites are the same as Spartan II's.
>Brutes have more health, but no shields and can activate a berserk rage that decreases damage taken and increases their speed.
>Engineers can fly, set down turrets, summon weapon and ammo crates, buff, heal, and repair vehicles and players. Has no combat abilities besides the turrets.

Inb4 babby's first fps.
>>
>>335882405
Make a mmo that requires you to be a hybrid of the trinity (tank n healer. Dps n tank or dps n healer)
Make it so when tanking, you can only take two enimies tops
Watch chaos ensue
>>
File: 1460110247905.png (932 KB, 1089x950) Image search: [Google]
1460110247905.png
932 KB, 1089x950
>>335886196
>Make a mmo that requires you to be a hybrid of the trinity (tank n healer. Dps n tank or dps n healer)
Anet FUCK OFF
>>
>>335885075
I meant a combat system like Dark Souls. As in something other than click skills, wait for cool down, click skills again like every MMORPG. Not necessarily the same isolated vibe, just a combat system that's more skill based. Monster Hunter because fighting giant bosses with a group of 10 - 20 players just seems like fun. How to incorporate all that into an MMO is debatable. I'm thinking of a persistent overworld with world bosses of different sizes/difficulties spawning periodically. Typical MMO fodder mobs to kill and farm while they wait for the next boss to pop up. Then an instanced dungeon for people who want to face tougher bosses without the rest players outside of their party getting in the way.
>>
I make Fucardia: The MMORPG with a focus on world, character customization, and roleplay.
>>
>>335884928
What a shit game you just made.
>>
make an mmo with a new freakin combat system that doesnt use the damn number keys and is more responsive and action game like. some thing more reactive and visceral.
>>
I'd make an open world racing game that plays like Trackmania with total terrain destruction, with none of that MMORPG garbage that GTAO has. Really clean low poly aesthetic to compensate for all the terrain stuff. Very comfy to drive around and see what people have done to the place. Socialize with other cars. Chaotic downtown area. Oodles of different game modes all running at the same time such as tag, oddball, etc. Nothing is instanced. Some areas of the map feature hazards like a volcano or a big Kraken monster.
>>
>>335886642
well there was Need fo Speed world, but i think that was shut down. Right now The Crew is online but not much in the way of terrain destruction
>>
>>335882405
Make a game where you are a time/dimension traveler so you can play in fantasy settings and futuristic war settings
also make it a kickstarter for extra cash
also never finish it because the scope is too big
>>
File: 1460544737119.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1460544737119.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>335886551
Why did you remind me of this
>>
>>335886551
To add onto it, I seperate "raiding" into three tiers:
Assault: 25 People. These are just bigger dungeons and help build up to bigger storylines.
Raid: 50 people. The standard raiding instance. These are the most frequent, and require attunements.
Siege: 75-100 people. These are the big guns. Only 1% of people should see this content withing the first three months of its release. It requires doing a long attunement questline that requires you doing a few raids on a challenge mode in order to even get an attempt to do the instance, with a daily lockout after fifty attempts in a siege.
>>
>>335882405
Make WoW Great again. Right now we're losing to Guild Wars, but with me as CEO we'll beat GW in subscriber deals, and we'll build a great big server for all our players. It's going to be hUGE!
>>
>>335882405
World Simulator
combines all the truck, crane, street cleaning, lumberjack, miner etc. simulator games into one big mmo
quickly gain a playerbase of wealthy germans and autists who dont mind paying tons of cash for things even if game is turbo play4free pay2havefun
>>
>>335887069
Because animal people killing each other in PvP.
>>
>>335886551

Remember me when your pockets are lined with cash and you are fabulously wealthy
>>
Look at the money in my hands, turn 360 degrees, and walk away.
>>
With a billion dollars I'd hire the best team and general staff money can buy. I'd make a few calls and see if a big name writer like George RR Martin wants to sign up on the project and write the story and dialogue. Get a famous band or composer like Hans Zimmer to make music for the game. Someone Hollywood director like Quentin Tarantino to be the executive producer or some token shit. Since they're all big wigs who are way above video games, the whole thing will be a vanity project to them. I'll convince them to work for as little as possible, in exchange they will have their names attached to possibly one of the most ambitious games in all of history and work with some of the most talented people in their entertainment field. Bring the team and the general idea to a competent development studio like Naughty Dog who has the financial backing and marketing power of Sony to make the finished product. Not only will it save MMOs, it'll push video games to the next level. Shitty stories and cheesy dialogues and half assed soundtracks will no longer be acceptable. Video games will truly be a cinematic experience and be able to be praised as art and such.
>>
>>335887551
>Video games will truly be a cinematic experience and be able to be praised as art and such.
No, Anon. You are the demons.
>>
I don't give a fuck about actual MMOs but I'd make a true Guild Wars 2
Fuck you Anet and NCsoft
>>
File: fallout-3-avatars-gary.jpg (23 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
fallout-3-avatars-gary.jpg
23 KB, 200x200
>>335882405
Hire Obsidian and the remnants of Black Isle and Brian Fargo to create the Fallout MMO. First Person and 3rd Person. 3rd is the traditional style and the first person plays normally. the map is the whole us with all locations from 1 to tactics to 4 to the unreleased games

add the major cities from the lore book like Kansas City and St Louis and add cars that you can repair and drive. add the normal factions plus custom ones, and you get perks for whatever you do.

Have the ability to transfer your PC gamesave from any fallout to the mmo and you get all your items. depending on game decides your pip boy. It also adds all the missions from the games so you can continue where you left off in game and move on plus adding new quests.

Give the weapon mods a really big overhaul and add settlement building but you can claim an area by wiping it out and building on it. this means others can take it from you too and take it over. Make every item from every fallout in the game available. unused and used plus deleted items (besides god items) and reuse all of the story from the Fallout Online game from black isle that was scrapped

graphics/engine are gamebyro. Why? any damn pc can run fallout 2/nv fine now on low end
>>
>>335887727
I would use my billion dollars to acquire the rights to the Guild Wars franchise just so I can make a Guild Wars Moba spinoff just to spite you.
>>
>>335882405
Take the money and his nerd glasses
>>
>>335887751
I was with you until you said it would run on Gamebyro.
>>
I'd cross Superfighters Deluxe with a little bit of Maplestory.

With quick leveling up, PvP always on, and permadeath. Giant sprawling world that's constructed like a Metroidvania so it's all connected and a couple areas are off-limits unless you possess a certain ability or something. Vehicles too.
>>
>>335887417
Will do Anon.
>>
>>335882405
Blind the child with acid, ransom him back to his parents

If he has a billion dollars on hand, imagine what his parents are worth. I'd also use a few hundred million to buy some PMCs to make sure the job goes smoothly
>>
>>335882405
Build the entire Pokemon world.
>>
>>335888113
Anon no. If he can just throw around 1 billion dollars, his parents are going to be hyper elites who can kill you at the drop of a hat. You'd be like MSF at the end of Ground Zeroes.
>>
>>335882405
Turn FF XIV into FF XI HD
>>
>>335888314
Rich people who are that wasteful with their money don't understand the value of it. They'd much rather take the easiest route and pay me from their offshore bank account.
>>
File: tumblr_n0e4zpWBQN1sx6pteo5_500.gif (928 KB, 491x234) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0e4zpWBQN1sx6pteo5_500.gif
928 KB, 491x234
>make a basketball fantasy MMO
>game takes place in a strange alternate reality where all facets of life revolves around playing basketball
>everyone walks around with a basketball
>anyone caught not playing basketball will be shot dead
>you start off as a b-ball noob who can barely dribble a basketball
>you challenge neighborhood kids to basketball games to build up your experience
>games can be one on one, two on two, five on five
>as you level up you unlock more advanced basketball skills
>you can choose one of two factions to determine your final set of skills, traditional and street
>traditional players are textbook NBA type players, street players are more physical and can do sick wicked tricks and shit
>winning games earns you money to pimp out your wardrobe
>you can form teams, basically the game's version of guilds to perform high level pvp against other high level teams
>>
File: lfy.gif (630 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
lfy.gif
630 KB, 500x282
i would make a one piece mmo

>devil fruits are unique items and really hard to find, if you find one you get a screen with 2 options, sell or eat, if you sell it you get a bunch of money but if you decide to eat it you will become the only player on that server with the powers of that fruit

of curse, if you die or don't log in for a while, you lose the power and the fruit re spawns

it would be absolute madness, everyone would be hunting devil fruit users as soon as the rumors of their new powers spread from player to player

new players start in one of the big blues, they will need to become friends with other new players to form a good crew and be able to buy their ship and go to the grandline psrt of the game

only the strongest crews formed by good players that are also good friends will be able to enter the new world section of the game , and only the stongest crew will be able to get a chance to go to the last island in the game

the reward for finishing the game will be some kind of treasure irl

also the captain of the first crew that gets there will be declared the king of the pirates
>>
>>335888974
There's no way that would work. People would just hoard powers and play it extremely safe and lamely to get that IRL treasure. If the reason your players play your game isn't for the sake of playing it and having fun, you're doing something terribly wrong.
>>
>>335885868
>playing as an Engineer
why
>>
>>335882405
take gta-v multiplayer, remove all the bad shit from it, and then make it span an entire country instead of just one city.
>>
>>335887963
hate to say it but if its an mmo it has to run on most pc's. gamebyro runs on almost everything.
>>
>>335882405
An MMO based on the 4 player archetypes

>Classes are either Spades, Clubs, Diamonds or Hearts
>You get rewards and bonuses for playing your class a certain way
>Clubs get bonuses for playing PvP and antagonizing other players. They get special skills to fuck with them non lethally like throwing dodgeballs at them or giving them wedgies
>Diamonds get bonuses for having rarer gear and more money than other players. Gear doesn't have to be strong, just rare. They get bonuses to cash drops and rolling on items.
>Hearts get bonuses for being nice to other players. They can more easily give gifts, heals, buffs and nice messages to other players.
>Spades get bonuses for researching and discovering lore, game mechanics and hidden interactions. They get a special notebook that records their findings and highlights things they might not have noticed
>>
>>335882405
it´s simple
we let ISIS in Blizzard main office, Metzen needs to go :^)
>>
>>335890539
Sounds like Spades would go completely unused after the first week.
>>
>>335882405
>What the fuck do you do?
spend it all on cocaine and hookers and laugh at mmofags
>>
Take the money and run.

MMOs are dead because of how modern game design changed them and datamining.
>>
>>335890765
Gotta keep regularly updating the game. Plus add things like a beastiary that requires multiple kills per monster to fill out, items with hidden effects, item catalog, hidden puzzles within puzzles, languages that are dead within the game that you need to learn how to translate, hidden NPC interactions
>>
File: gold.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gold.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>335885075
JUAN

BILLION

DOLLAR
>>
I'd buy the warcraft brand and develop WoW 2: Azeroth after the Burning Legion
>>
>save
Nothing to save, all MMOs are inherently trash that need to die.
>>
>>335890237
Then make it so only 1 character or account can hold 1 fruit instead of 1 account just hording everything. For that they might need to make a 2nd account to get another fruit unless you can lock them from doing so for unique ip with will even cost more extra work to get around if you wanna be a jew
>>
>>335888974
>last island
impossible, the series author will die before we even get the last island in the manga
>>
>a billion dollars
I could make good headway with a thousand, you just need a clever and simple idea.

I probably shouldn't explain the idea though because the next thing I'd know I'd be hitting character limit and it'd be 11pm.
>>
>>335885624
Id make the same.
>>
>>335882405
Change my face and name, leave the country and keep the rest of the money. Fuck MMO.
>>
>>335882405
>take money
>add TF2's item drop system to WoW for cosmetic items, keys and all.

there, MMOs saved.
>>
Make any game who fucking cares.
Put 500 million in to advertising so it actually has a playerbase.
>>
File: battleroyale.jpg (461 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
battleroyale.jpg
461 KB, 1920x1080
>>335882405
hire fromsofts b-team to make dark souls but with pso style style hub from where you can assemble your warriors and venture forth

you could free roam in the world, and occasionally the game would load in another party of players and you could either fight, ignore or trade with them

the game would be hard as balls and designed to be completed with 3 players, but if u got gud you could finish it by yourself
>>
Make Minecraft except with actual content and not on a 2002 engine
>>
>>335883605
>>335883417
Just how much do you think a billion dollars is?
>>
>>335884394
That's because it's complete shit outside the combat
>>
>>335888728
post Haikyuu webm
>>
>>335882405
Hire a team of people to kidnap and torture him for more money.

Then ask Acti-Blizzard if I can work for them and use that event as a reference so I can get a good job at the company.
>>
File: 1145543598788.jpg (13 KB, 399x299) Image search: [Google]
1145543598788.jpg
13 KB, 399x299
I buy Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve, and turn them all into anime companies.
>>
>>335882405
I'd love to save MMOs
But fuck you, little man, this is my billion dollars now.
>>
>>335897073
enough for me to retire 138,888 times over
>>
>>335887814
Joke's on you GW1 pvp was basically a vastly superior form of mobas
>>
It's like Dark Souls mixed with Monster Hunter, but with like a lot of players playing at the same time like WoW, and with Berserk and Jojo crossovers, Elins from Tera, and it has weighty, comfy and realistic competitive deep combat like Melee, plus it has building like Roblox and it's exclusive to the Xbox One.
>>
File: 1460104299608.jpg (47 KB, 600x571) Image search: [Google]
1460104299608.jpg
47 KB, 600x571
>>335882405
Take it and it's broken promises for the man who handed me billion dollars.
Jokes aside,

I would make a MMO game where you can be a god of your own universe and battle others with your own creations. But, here's a thing. When you start the game, your options will be limited especially how you can make content. The highest leveled players have the most content and features out all players.

You level up in finding new random game mechanics that benefit you or finding tricks. But, the mechanics and tricks are actually found by the communities and dedicated players or devs and is added into the game upon finding it.

Glitches will be still be fixed, but only small glitches that doesn't affect gameplay or crash the whole game will be kept in, to keep the mechanics and tricks feature into it and make the game more interesting. Basically, trying to exploit the universe's flaws and use it to your advantage.
>>
>real time combat
>first person mode
>18th century setting with naval focus but also large islands with jungle
>fuck ton of weapons and clothing options
>Permadeath
>No skills or levels, only getting (unstatted) equipment and supplies matters
>Full PVP
>survival elements

As far as the core gameplay goes, im imaging the economy happening in real time. NPCs pick cotton on one island, ship it to the mainland, player tailors buy it and turn it into clothes.
Same for guns and boats.
Players can be the royal navy defending civilisation or just fuck around as pirates burning plantations and sinking ships.
Each time you spawn you choose an occupation (tailor, blacksmith etc), this is what your character knows and you cant do anything else. Job skills level quickly, but are lost on death.

MMOs are dead. The best we can do is different takes on rust style games and try and make the servers larger and provide something to actually do.
I just have a suspicion people are hungry for more 18th century tricorn hatted goodness in vidya.
>>
Making it not a fantasy setting
>>
File: 3409784325623.png (58 KB, 320x548) Image search: [Google]
3409784325623.png
58 KB, 320x548
>it's a 'like X but with Y from Z' idea
Pretty much Phantasy Star Online with DMC melee / Vanquish ranged combat and movement. Tanking would still be viable (and extremely useful in many situations) but all classes should have at least some reaction-based evasion ability at their disposal.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.