[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is your game comming along anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86
File: engines.png (53 KB, 890x400) Image search: [Google]
engines.png
53 KB, 890x400
How is your game comming along anon?
>>
Made some sprites.
Dicking around with Gamemaker collision checks trying to figure out why it can't tell if an object is solid or not.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 200x172) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 200x172
Good. I think I have some artists on board soon. Also, an itch.io page for the demo/preview/whatever version is going up tomorrow.
>>
what do you think of this tune?

https://clyp.it/olzcum3q
>>
>>335858617
I like it, I could see it being used in some cave or some sort of abandoned place you'd be exploring.
>>
File: Captura de pantalla (157).png (280 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Captura de pantalla (157).png
280 KB, 1366x768
Making a bitch get some color
(tips: she has a penis)
>>
>>335858617
>https://clyp.it/olzcum3q
i personally don't like it, unless you were going for safari negro music then it's 10/10.
>>
>>335858915
why is it called blender?
>>
File: 835621642.gif (3 MB, 350x193) Image search: [Google]
835621642.gif
3 MB, 350x193
Trying to figure out 3D modelling and practicing that to decide whether I want to make my game 2D or 3D. Just downloaded Blender and have barely started, but looking forward to the experience.
>>
File: new controls.webm (730 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
new controls.webm
730 KB, 1280x720
>>335857810

fuck. damn you are lucky as fuck. I have to rely on my shitty arting skill to get by.

>>335856856
Finished new revised Controls and Settings UI for the new native resolution.

Working on new character animations and new dialogue boxes
>>
>>335859003
because blender you mind trying to understand how the UI works
>>
I'm just being a nodev, watching everyone's progress, and crying over my lack thereof.
>>
>>335859096
instead of calling the controls by their buttons name, use their actual usage. so like "move up" ,"attack" ,etc'.
>>
>>335859154
do you have ideas?
>>
>>335859254

Some buttons have multiple functions based on the situation as you can see from the black pop up when you click on functions
>>
File: intro-camera.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
intro-camera.webm
2 MB, 960x540
Making the starting room and made the camera for it today. After you leave this room it's the first level and you start fighting and stuff.

>>335859096
Nice and juicy menu.
You just reminded me I still need to make the settings screen. I hate UI stuff so much
>>
>>335859348

I do, and I have a GM:S file that has custom controls implemented for KB+M and GamePad, so I can use it for all my future projects, too.

I just have been busy lately, and every time I have free time it doesn't feel like enough to do anything significant, so I just do something else instead.
>>
>>335859426
game lookin good anon, you seem to be progressing fast.
>>
>>335859426
i liked that portal entering effect
>>
>>335859426
>Little girl in a French maid outfit
So much for creativity.
>>
>>335860032
>french girls
>>
>>335859426
why does her sword get cut in half when she runs?
>>
File: image.gif (356 KB, 466x350) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
356 KB, 466x350
Quick! Post what you listen to while you're working on your game. Podcasts are cool too.

https://youtu.be/lJJbHFIRWHk
>>
>>335859709
I actually started this game 3 years ago, I restarted it quite a lot but this time I'm feeling it.

>>335859824
I've seen that kind of effect in a lot of games and I always though it looked cool.

>>335860032
She's an adult, that's just the sprite proportions.
I started this for a game jam that had the theme of "boring jobs made interesting". I just picked a maid and wanted to make an action game. It's not very creative but you're not meant to take it seriously.

>>335860132
I drew over an old sprite sheet and the image wasn't big enough for the full sword. I'm remaking the animations right now.
>>
File: Happier Rabbit.png (58 KB, 317x657) Image search: [Google]
Happier Rabbit.png
58 KB, 317x657
>>335856856
Good. I think I made some progress on my modeling. Joints took forever and I had to remake the legs another time. Hands and feet next!

Is modeling going to get faster as I get better? Or will it take just as much time but everything will just look good?
>>
>>335859123
Blender isn't so bad once you learn the keyboard shortcuts
>>
File: With or without pink.png (112 KB, 611x657) Image search: [Google]
With or without pink.png
112 KB, 611x657
>>335860893
Also, better with or without the stomach colouring?
>>
Love the double general meme.
Stay in /vg/ shitstain.
>>
>>335860893
Modeling is a time consuming process,
Naturally you will get faster at it as you improve, but Pro's probably take longer so that they can fine tune the model.

Don't focus on the speed so much anyway, haste makes waste.
>>
File: 128.jpg (207 KB, 450x638) Image search: [Google]
128.jpg
207 KB, 450x638
>>335860893
>Or will it take just as much time but everything will just look good?

It will take more time but things will look better.
If you doubt me, just look at a few of the timeskip graphic videos where artist draw an image from scratch.

It takes them more than a day to do something like this. No skill or experience will ever remove the time required, it only improve the end result.
>>
>>335861203
>>335861579
Okay. Will keep on chugging. Thanks anons
>>
>>335861097
Looks like a tie
>>
File: serenity.jpg (305 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
serenity.jpg
305 KB, 1920x1080
map for Trigger Spree (FPS)
>>
>>335864861
Good shit, anon!
>>
>>335864861
Are those trees meant to look delicious?
>>
File: grass.png (1 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
grass.png
1 KB, 64x64
Just today I just started making some grass tiles as a start. I do have a little artistic ability but this is much much harder than what I expected it to be.

Also captch must be fucking with me because it wanted me to select all the tiles with grass in it. baka
>>
>>335861097
looks like a dick lol
red rabbit rocket.
>>
>>335857532
place_free
remember that you shouldnt be handling collision after its been done, but have it prevented completely. (dont tell an object to move back when it hits a wall, tell it to not hit the wall in the first place)
>>
>>335862724
>>335866974
Okay. No chest color it is
>>
>>335859045
It's pretty simple to choose one.
If you don't know how to draw or 3d model they'll both be a pain, so what matters is what it's like when you already know.

If you know how to draw it will seem quite easy to create assets, however it's a lot of work if you want to do a lot of detailed animation.

If you know how to model, modelling seems like a lot more trouble at first than just drawing a picture, but it makes making extremely smooth animations piss easy, you could animate thousands of frames in your sleep.

So if you need lots of animations you probably don't even want to bother with 2D.

However you also have to consider what effect 2D animation vs 3D animation will have on your game.

2D animation has great potential to be flashy as fuck. No one's really figured out how to make 3D look as cool as 2D in any reasonable amount of time. You can also do a lot of really unrealistic stuff in 2D that will look fine because it's 2D, whereas with even low poly 3D certain things can look unrealistic and kind of shitty because of it when they would look just fine in 2D.

2D is much less taxing on the hardware, generally.

The largest effect the dimensions have is on the gameplay. You should go through all the games you have and see how them being 2D or 3D affects their gameplay, if it does at all, and think of how they would work if they were the opposite of what they are. For example, Resident Evil games have absolutely no reason to be 3D as far as the mechanics go. All the extra dimension allows you to do is target different body parts, which has a really small effect overall on the game. In fact the earlier games in the series could be recreated pretty much 1:1 in 2D. Resident Evil uses 3D mostly to try and make the atmosphere more serious. It's a series where you're often moving slowly and taking in the scenery, while looking out for various threats to your characters health. A 2D resident evil would probably be fairly lighthearted in comparison.
>>
File: AGrass.webm (3 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
AGrass.webm
3 MB, 960x720
No progress today, so heres muh grass again

>>335860404
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsVzm-rgS-w
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-27+at+08.47.59).png (21 KB, 532x696) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-27+at+08.47.59).png
21 KB, 532x696
>>335860404
https://youtu.be/PWxSImv530Q
>>
Going to some game jam tomorrow so probably done by sunday. I've already made about 7 or so games.
>>
I've never made a complete game... about 8 years ago I made a space invaders and a frogger clone for a class in college, but they weren't exactly production level...

I've gotten a lot of experience deving since, just not specifically making vidya, though... I'm torn between shitting out a bunch of simple mobile games, or making a real game (either an RTS or a 2.5D first person adventure game). And then if it's a real game, I'm not sure if I'll use an engine or make my own (kind do want to learn how to make my own)...

I just think making small mobile games would be a more immediate reward... Making a real game by myself will take years (even if I use an engine), and I'm not sure I'll ever finish, then... What do you guys recommend for breaking into vidya dev?
>>
>>335869359

just do game jams and actually go to a local one. after some of those try to make a game in a month, then a game in 3 months, etc. and so on until you feel like what you're making is actually worth money.

so to answer your question of small game vs big game, a bit of both.
>>
I'm totally competent in art, I can also animate. I'm competent enough in programming to use Unity and whatever. Competent enough to make my own music and sounds. Basically, I can make any game content I'd need to.
But I'm a shit game designer. I have ideas about the kind of gameplay I want to achieve, but can't ever find something solid.
Whenever I try to prototype stuff, I end up getting stuck unsatisfied with how something feels, or realize the idea isn't working. I can't figure out how to continue, and after trying things for a long time, I give up. I have trouble making a solid game design foundation. I feel like if I could get a prototype going that was fun, I'd just be able to make content for it, refine it and so on, but I have so much trouble just getting a base that I can build off of. And even though it's just prototyping, it takes a long time and I end up having to do a lot of stuff to make a small advancement.
Kind of just wanted to vent, maybe someone has advice too.
>>
>>335871092
Make games you want to play.
Remember to keep your decisions/time ratio at a decent pace.

Anything else would require specific problems.
>>
>>335871092
Work for other people? If you're actually competent at art, animation, music and coding then you'll have an easier time finding a team.
>>
File: serenity_002.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
serenity_002.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
. heres 1 more pic of the same map
>>335865824
thanks
>>335865985
yea, thats what i was going for
>>
File: Tentaclesmaybe.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Tentaclesmaybe.webm
3 MB, 640x480
Made some detail meshes that look like tentacles kind of, and working on the item that spawns the Speed flowers. Thinking about refining and putting in an item that gives you the super jump and dash movement set for a dreamy "almost flying" feeling.
>>
>>335871332
I do try to make stuff I want to play. But I always get stuck at a point during prototyping, unsure how to continue and how to improve on what I have.
>Remember to keep your decisions/time ratio at a decent pace.
What exactly do you mean? Like keep a pace of making design decisions so that I force myself to continue and not get stuck?

>>335871656
Yeah, I think I could find another team/person, and I might just end up doing it, but I really want to make my own games. I'm really passionate about it and have been for a very long time. I've been trying to make games for years, and I have made a couple little games for jams (though they were poorly designed), but I just feel like I'm really bad at prototyping and actually developing a game design.
>>
>>335872560
That looks cool. Very Tron like. What's the goal of your game, or is it just a testing ground for your learning?
>>
File: 90uHOhm.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
90uHOhm.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>335856856
currently learning how to draw so I can make models in blender so I can making a survival game that's part Conan the Barbarian and part The Borrowers.

Nothing to sophisticated, probably like the model on the far left because Im talentless.
>>
>>335858617
shit son, how'ds you make this?

Can you link the program? is it free?
>>
>>335873351
oh, but my dear friend, the model on the left was made by a master artist! you can do it if you study well. have fun with it.
>>
>>335873672
Not trying to become Da Vinci here.

I just want people to play as a manly, 7cm tall man running around the neighborhood hunting squirrrels.
>>
File: Smat.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Smat.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>335872975
Thanks.
Its a puzzle/platformer, ive been working on mechanics lately and redesign of this areas aesthetic. Speed items, jumpboost items, turning into a bug, shrinking, and a few more. Most puzzles involve a mix of using things in the environment and platforming.

Im avoiding any story or anything, I guess like games similar to journey or flower or something but more complex mechanics.
I dont want any explanations for things, or direct dialogue with the players, just abstract styled areas, music, and sound with interesting items and problem solving that will hopefully compel the player to explore.
>>
>>335872773
>What exactly do you mean? Like keep a pace of making design decisions so that I force myself to continue and not get stuck?
Nah, the amount of decisions the user makes in a timeframe.

For example, in a typical sandbox game you make one decision every few seconds, in a more extreme action game it can be several a second.

When you think your game isn't compelling or engaging enough, try adding either more complexity or just making the game faster in order to bump that ratio up.
>>
>>335873921
Please play REZ.

It has no story either, it was just about "hacking" (aka a sorta TPS/railshooter).

Maybe you should focus on your game being something like "Ant-Man" with the shrinking/enlarging portions, and the Quantum Realm/Tron being a source of your aesthetics/trippy visuals.

Rock on man, looks awesome. I dig it, a lot.
>>
I am starting to feel the need to rethink the iceblock. It was one of those ideas that sounded good on paper but put into use it has a million problems with it. Also it's getting very difficult to work with. Probably make it stationary only like how it originally was, and give it added functionality of being a bit of a projectile shield.
>>
>>335874148
Oh I see what you mean, I'll try paying attention to that, thanks
>>
File: 1407483747699.png (884 KB, 774x870) Image search: [Google]
1407483747699.png
884 KB, 774x870
>>335858617
This is really nice. I envision a place, ruins or a big temple or something that holds a lot of answers to many of the questions the player and or characters have been asking for a while. Maybe endgame dungeon area. Maybe a factory or some place mechanical too with the strange noises.
>>
>>335874280
I liked rez, im going for the same kind of synesthesia in some areas with sound, altered perceptions and movement.

It is like ant-man i guess, the shrinking plays a large part in discovering tiny areas hidden within the environment. Prior to the shrinking mechanic the first area was just speed/jump boost items that you later can deploy.

Now its the speed/jump, shrinking, avoiding bug AI, taking over bug AI, activating altars and other environmental cues to grow paths of the flowers/change enviroment, planting them. Im working towards Greenlight at the moment so ive been refining visuals a lot and adding in the features that need to be showcased.

Thanks man.
>>
File: divekick doggy.gif (623 KB, 769x459) Image search: [Google]
divekick doggy.gif
623 KB, 769x459
finishing up this dog then working on some proto-two player thing to get some form of matches going.
>>
Post songs you listen to while you work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXQR0IUEn4
>>
>>335875446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXlE53c9T0

>>
>>335874961
Do you have some way of being reachable for inputting ideas, and giving feedback/be a guinea pig?

Or do you feel like at this time you don't want to show all your cards?
>>
>>335875446
Someone posted this a week or two ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlLPxb7Etw

anon if you're here you are my hero, this song is fucking jammin'

>>335875486
>Ephemeral Rift
gud stuff, I really like his creativity. Don't usually listen to his work when I'm actually looking to sleep though.
>>
>>335875446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSW74L-XMA

>>335875876
sup anon
>>
File: castle9.webm (3 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
castle9.webm
3 MB, 852x480
>>335875829
You can see/comment on a decent amount of video with audio on my twitter
https://twitter.com/HarmlessMonkii
and on occasion ill post a video on my youtube. I also made a tumblr but didnt get much traction there so post infrequently.
https://youtu.be/hT0pqxH2WN8

If Greenlight goes well ill be working on a mockup area for a special demo area that ill share privately at first then later publicly, as to not ruin the actual level progression.
>>
>>335875446
Can't find any good youtube links.

https://clyp.it/hdd4sf3p
https://clyp.it/l2gxj3oa
>>
>>335875446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0YoUh0SjWc
>>
>>335875446
https://youtu.be/3aczD3Se7C8
https://youtu.be/gAS9ftWzCIQ
https://youtu.be/2iU9JF-DXds
>>
>>335876649
>mashups
I'd be more fond if 90% weren't fucking Gangnam Style or Space Jam-base.
>>
>>335876465
Disregard all the bloom, its been changed since then, I havent made new webms of or worked on that area in a while.
>>
still working on that arena transition, making it juicier. I'll add the big skeleton arms that grow by the side of the stage and then I think I'll take a break from the cinematic experience to add the skeletons that you shoot for pickups between rounds.
>>
>>335861097
I remember when I started 3d. Was a good time. Enjoy the discovery and don't forget to go crazy
>>
>>335860404
>>335875446

This gonna be a thing for us now? I like it.
>>
Taking a break from doing tile sets to work on the basic plot for my game. Could use some pointers and/or criticism. So keep in mind this game is going to be for children. My brother is seven years old and I want him to be able to play and enjoy this in a few years (when I'm done).

It's gonna be a 2.5D 3rd person adventurer/platformer. You play as a boy with an overactive imagination. He always dreams/daydreams about living on his own island. The beginning is basically the tutorial without telling the player it's a tutorial. You interact with people on the island and do various fetch quests. Eventually, as the player progresses, the island begins to change. Things get scary, enemies start showing up, and several other islands appear in the distance. The friendly islanders also become hostile towards the player.

It's up to the player to figure out why it's happening. And no, it's not some 2deep4u bullshit about child abuse. This is all the kid's imagination. That's about as far as I've gotten.
>>
>>335875446
>>335877632
No. Its called derailing.
>>
File: 1457043115203.png (49 KB, 346x341) Image search: [Google]
1457043115203.png
49 KB, 346x341
>>335858617
Best thing I've heard from these threads in quite a while.
>>
>>335858617
>>335873435

I've also been looking for ways to make music too. Anyone?
>>
>>335875446
http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=TzIhWYrBaGE#Elena_Singing_-_Pandora_s_Tower_Original_Soundtrack
>>
>>335875446
I've been trying to come up with some lively music for some time now so I've been listening to Wind Waker's OST whilst animating sprites just to try and leech some inspiration off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJiC8FeI2I
>>
File: status_effect_PTSD.png (3 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
status_effect_PTSD.png
3 KB, 300x300
Bump
>>
File: 1405987023594.jpg (51 KB, 700x519) Image search: [Google]
1405987023594.jpg
51 KB, 700x519
>>335875829
I'm always lurking here as well for feedback. You guys usually see more progress posts and earlier than any of my social media stuff. Anons usually have the best feedback.
>>
>>335857532
Never use solids. I used solids in my game and when it got to the point where it was going to be a retail product and I wanted to make some changes, solid objects made it really difficult. Solid objects are never meant to move :(
>>
File: Logic_Puzzle_Demo.png (40 KB, 1220x626) Image search: [Google]
Logic_Puzzle_Demo.png
40 KB, 1220x626
>>335880089
Obligatory Discord plug because an anon wanted one or some shit https://discord.gg/0wjqct9qJ3JlMthP
>>
>>335880609
Solids are fine as long as you intend for the object to never more ever.
>>
File: common_raven_2.jpg (39 KB, 425x404) Image search: [Google]
common_raven_2.jpg
39 KB, 425x404
>>335881682
>never more
>>
>he's not releasing his game under the GNU public license
>>
File: 127095609349.jpg (21 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
127095609349.jpg
21 KB, 450x299
>>335883641
/g/ pls
>>
>>335883641
Back to your board, communist. Only red-blooded capitalists allowed here.
>>
File: Unhappy lizard man.jpg (26 KB, 388x372) Image search: [Google]
Unhappy lizard man.jpg
26 KB, 388x372
>>335883641
>releasing a game
>>
>>335878228
for free musagi or lmms or something
for neo-shekels fl studio
>>
>>335884217
Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. … if the users chooses this proprietary software package, he then falls into this monopoly for support … the only way to escape from monopoly is to escape from proprietary software, and that is what the free software movement is all about. We want you to escape and our work is to help you escape. We hope you will escape to the free world. The free world is the new continent in cyberspace that we have built so we can live here in freedom. It's impossible to live in freedom in the old world of cyberspace, where every program has its feudal lord that bullies and mistreats the users. So, to live in freedom we have to build a new continent. Because this is a virtual continent, it has room for everyone, and there are no immigration restrictions. And because there were never indigenous peoples in cyberspace, there is also no issue of taking away their land. So everyone is welcome in the free world, come to the free world, live with us in freedom. The free software movement aims for the liberation of cyberspace and everyone in it.
>>
>>335884564
Free markets are capitalistic in nature, they're not actually free...
>>
>>335884679
Stallman's never made money that wasn't charity in his fucking life. He's literally a 60 year old grad student who still thinks computers are in the 70's and should function like such.
>>
Go away for half an hour, the thread is derailed to marketing
alright.
>>
>>335884564
I've read that male dolphins try to have sex with humans, and female apes solicit sex from humans. What is wrong with giving them what they want, if that's what turns you on, or even just to gratify them?
But this law is not concerned with protecting animals, since it does not care whether the animal really had sex, or really existed at all. It only panders to the prejudice of censors.
A parrot once had sex with me. I did not recognize the act as sex until it was explained to me afterward, but being stroked on the hand by his soft belly feathers was so pleasurable that I yearn for another chance. I have a photo of that act; should I go to prison for it?
Perhaps I am spared because this photo isn't "disgusting", but "disgusting" is a subjective matter; we must not imprison people merely because someone feels disgusted. I find the sight of wounds disgusting; fortunately surgeons do not. Maybe there is someone who considers it disgusting for a parrot to have sex with a human. Or for a dolphin or tiger to have sex with a human. So what? Others feel that all sex is disgusting. There are prejudiced people that want to ban all depiction of sex, and force all women to cover their faces. This law and the laws they want are the same in spirit.
>this is an actual stallman quote
>>
File: 235344735858.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
235344735858.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>335884564
>>335885281
Stallmans a pretty cool guy, but you need to post progress. Im waiting nigga
>>
>>335885430
I made Tux Racer
>>
File: 1438547053804.jpg (87 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438547053804.jpg
87 KB, 400x400
>>335885470
>made

Thats not progress, Im going to have to fine you.
>>
>>335885585
I don't have any money, its free as in freedom and beer
>>
>>335859003
because everything you make with it belongs in the blender
>>
File: 1460528620316.png (25 KB, 623x591) Image search: [Google]
1460528620316.png
25 KB, 623x591
Bump
>>
>>335887025
You made a game with these sprites yet?
>>
>>335887180
Working on it.
Very slowly but still.
May have something to post in the way of a prototype soonâ„¢
>>
>>335887332
Cheers lad. Just try to prioritize being feature complete before being asset complete.
>>
File: Computer mockup3.png (76 KB, 807x728) Image search: [Google]
Computer mockup3.png
76 KB, 807x728
I'm trying to learn how to make tilesets. Here's one I worked on the past couple days, what do you guys think? I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I know it's a bit repetitive, especially the background. One area I think I really need improvement on is colors and palettes. Also, does it clash to much with the character sprites?
>>
>>335888179
I think youre right about the colors. The background circuit looking ones and the foreground platforms, at least.
>>
File: silhouette.png (54 KB, 807x728) Image search: [Google]
silhouette.png
54 KB, 807x728
>>335888179
Your colours are fine, it's the value, or brightness, that's the problem. Try to be mindful of it.

Made a small change to try and highlight character silhouettes more effectively.
>>
>>335888179
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, and I don't think I have much of a say in this topic, since I'm also learning how to make tilesets too, but that town in the background looks like it would be a great full background if you add more variety to the buildings.

Other than that, It looks good except for the brightness.
>>
File: CHICKENGEAR.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
CHICKENGEAR.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>animations
>>
File: 1434692071197.jpg (23 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1434692071197.jpg
23 KB, 300x400
>>335888496
Oh cool, it looks a lot better. Thanks for the advice! I'll try to be more mindful of this in the future.
>>
>>335888496
>>335888179

the characters need outlines to pop due to how busy your tiles look.

so do the UI now I think about it.

trust me it will look nicer.
>>
File: computer mockup4 - anon edit.png (79 KB, 807x728) Image search: [Google]
computer mockup4 - anon edit.png
79 KB, 807x728
>>335889236
This look a little better?
>>
>>335889835

not much difference, to be honest.

i think the brightness of the background and tiles still need to be dial down a bit for the characters and UI to be easily visible.
>>
File: AFG Mockup 1.png (33 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
AFG Mockup 1.png
33 KB, 400x240
>>335890516
Hmm, okay I see where you're coming from. I made those character sprites long before I made that tileset, and I think overall the two just don't work very well together. I mean I never even had an area like that planned, but I want to start getting better at making tilesets so I just ran with the first thing that came to mind.

Quick question. I made this mock up using sprites from different games (Cave Story and Demon's Crest). Does this, in general, look like it works better as far as colors and everything go? Does anyone know of a good site to help with making color palettes?
>>
>>335891187
It's okay.

You don't need a site. If you need something to default to, just choose a cooler colour and a warmer colour, use one for the darker areas/background and one for the lighter areas/foreground.
>>
File: 1443690078150.png (185 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443690078150.png
185 KB, 500x500
>>335892216
Alright, well thanks for the feedback man.

Just out of curiosity, what game, in your opinion, has great pixel art? As far as sidescrollers/platformers go.
>>
>>335873921

The atmosphere is really turning out nicely.
>>
File: metal-slug-3-c.jpg (252 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
metal-slug-3-c.jpg
252 KB, 625x469
>>335892662
Well I mean, I can think of a few but they're so far out of anyone's league that they're useless as an example.

For colour schemes and such, Shovel Knight is something to aspire to, if a bit on the saturated side. Lone Survivor also plays with colour palettes to a bit, if you can abstract it mentally without for filters.

As for art itself.. pft. Castlevania and not much else, even that's way out of anybody's league.
>>
File: Yo-Yo.gif (113 KB, 311x140) Image search: [Google]
Yo-Yo.gif
113 KB, 311x140
>>335893032
Fuck yeah man, Castlevania is one of my biggest inspirations. I swear there aren't really any Metroidvania games that give the same sort of experience as the Castlevania ones. I mean, there are other great ones, but Castlevania seems to be the only one I've played that has all sorts of different things to collect, like the hundreds of weapons and trinkets. I know that in games like Symphony of the Night, there's a lot of useless ones, but I still like the mystery and suspense of "Whoa a new item! I wonder if this is usable!"
>inb4 you were mainly talking about Classicvania games
I love those too though lol.

I've studied attack animations from castlevania quite a bit for inspiration. Here's one a made awhile back. Originally, I wanted to go for a Castlevania inspired design, you know, pretty realistic character proportions and what not, but I quickly realized that wouldn't work well with my cartoony designs.
>>
>>335893429
It'd also be much harder.

You're an indie dev, you gotta cut every corner there is to get those games out. Nice work, though.
>>
>>335892907
Thanks m8, Im juicing to the max before Greenlight and trying to get it all looking good.
>>
File: 32a.webm (3 MB, 1012x762) Image search: [Google]
32a.webm
3 MB, 1012x762
I made another microgame move. "Inspect" lets you identify a monster in order to reveal its stats (and permanently add it to your 'monster logbook').
>>
File: IMG_20160429_060152.jpg (35 KB, 496x318) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_060152.jpg
35 KB, 496x318
>>335893641
You're on my shit list punk
>>
File: Mega Bean.jpg (58 KB, 461x450) Image search: [Google]
Mega Bean.jpg
58 KB, 461x450
>>335893492
Thanks anon, it's just gotta be dis way I suppose.

>>335893641
This is looking really good, I love the Earthbound background over the building.
>>
>>335893602

got any hi res samples ?
>>
>>335894535
Im in bed on my TV, max display is 768 or some odd resolution. Webm sucks as I resize it to 480 for improved length.
I dont have any video of the newest additions uploaded to my twitter or youtube yet, but I tried a static recording webm just now for you at this resolution, not sure if it will look much better.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-28 16-25-40.png (219 KB, 969x699) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-28 16-25-40.png
219 KB, 969x699
I think im going to scrap my project, cause it has no concept or idea
>>
>>335896320
i can help you with that.
will also take no credit for it, i enjoy making up stories.
so what you got?
>>
>>335895813

Yeah, this looks better. Good work man.
>>
>>335896563
My idea was to make a quick and fun arcade game, i put up some sfv zangief voice for laughs, A and D are used to slide on sides while UP and DOWN makes you attack (with meme placeholders). It's my first ever try at gamedev, took me about 1 month to do this, but I was working on that maybe 5 hours a week, but I'm totally not "the ideas guy", I have a lot of fun learning functions in GML and coding.

https://mega.nz/#!ZhBxAJZY
>>
>>335896969
sorry wrong link:
https://mega.nz/#!ZhBxAJZY!y6gp-FwfBnVPe7-qTGrZykVca1DPtwARZuk3dFSRFNc
>>
Hypothetically, how well would emulating an almost runescape style of really simple and low poly 3d for a game? Would the nostalgia-bait be worth it, or would it be better to try a little more?
>>
>>335897056
If you were capable of making that idea you'd know the answer.
>>
>>335897056
Try making some really simple low-poly 3D and find out.
>>
>>335897034
it's actually not that bad(okay mainly for you muscle spirit were making me laugh but whatever).

Well i gotta say it's pretty hard to think of something to add to this game.
First thought that enter my mind is multiplayer where let's say for each "cloud" or whatever hit you send one to the enemy aswell, so after a while the pace picks up because now it seems pretty slow.
Actually i thought i could help more but this is all i got so far but if i think of something else i'll reply to your post again.
>>
>>335897308
>>335897429

Could you guys not? I'm referring to market trends here, please just answer the damn question.
>>
File: 1447942490940.png (127 KB, 1153x823) Image search: [Google]
1447942490940.png
127 KB, 1153x823
>>335897764
>could you guys not?
>>
I want to make an RPG stylistically and mechanically similar to League of Legends. Should I do it in Adobe AIR, or is there a better way to do it?

I'll be learning from scratch by the way.
>>
>>335897764
>market trends
Final Fantasy early remakes were well-received but otherwise flat-shaded low-poly is still perceived as "garbage shovelware mobile game port".
>>
File: 1447016475550.jpg (25 KB, 389x264) Image search: [Google]
1447016475550.jpg
25 KB, 389x264
I want to make a turn based JRPG clone. But make the battles go by faster with shorter animations and a faster pace as well as a more complex battle/stat system

Is there a market for these/are there any good examples of indies making these?
>>
>>335897991
>But make the battles go by faster with shorter animations and a faster pace as well as a more complex battle/stat system
So you want to make a Wizardry/Ultima clone?
>>
>>335898035
Yeah it could potentially end up similar
>>
>>335897962
try rpg maker
>>
>>335898069
RPGs are still in, with such hyper-indie RPGs as LISA or Undertale doing very well. There's a market.
>>
>>335898078
LOL!!!111
>>
I'm working on the next undertale as we speak faggot. chill..
>>
File: ss20160305at05.58.31.jpg (95 KB, 718x431) Image search: [Google]
ss20160305at05.58.31.jpg
95 KB, 718x431
>>335898157
Fuck off nigger that's my job
>>
>>335898078
I've got custom graphics, animations, audio and even pseudocode that wouldn't fit in that framework.

When I say starting from scratch I mean I'm already set on the fundamentals, I've just never used any engine outside of stuff like RPG maker, Flixel and custom map editors.

I started making the game as a total conversion of World of WarCraft but for mechanics reasons I've decided I want it to be more MOBA style.
>>
>>335897567
Thanks, that multiplayer idea, like those oldschool puzzle tetris-like games? I know that the state of my project is not even a prototype, im basically learning things and yes putting in memes and funny sounds makes it easier to get patience at learning, cause at first i had these cloud things attack from left and right and when you attacked them the sprite in the middle was pixel zangief and he was screaming "MUSCLE POWER", but in know - less memes, more genuine work needed.
>>
>>335893641
Oh fuck, this looks sick. Does it have a name?
>>
File: 27a.webm (3 MB, 1014x764) Image search: [Google]
27a.webm
3 MB, 1014x764
>>335899142
It's called Zero Quest. I made a blog for it here: http://zeroquest.tumblr.com/
>>
>>335899398
I've seen you make some pretty good progress on this. Keep going! It looks fucking good!

Did you sort out what you were going to do for that intro scene? Did you end up finding a way to have it play like the fictional cereal mascot game and then have the game break to pull you into the "real" game world? I haven't been following these threads too closely for the last couple of months. My motivation to keep working on my own game has just about reached zero.
>>
>>335898225
>Using RPG Maker
How are you going to add a unique enough battle mechanic through that? That ain't going to be Undertale maetrial.
>>
>>335899867
I haven't worked on the intro at all since the last time I posted about it... but yeah, I'm going to make it a playable mini platformer game (when I get around to it). At the moment I'm focusing on the actual gameplay part. I'd like to get a playable demo together of a dungeon just so I can make sure it's actually fun, otherwise what's the point.

Didn't think of the "cereal mascot" idea, but that's a great way to put it - thanks!
>>
>>335900252
>Didn't think of the "cereal mascot" idea, but that's a great way to put it - thanks!
Oh? I thought your game was about a cereal mascot that gets pulled out of his game to help other video game characters similar to Wreck-It-Ralph?
>>
File: Sketch115132255.png (282 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Sketch115132255.png
282 KB, 720x1280
>>335900173
I switched to Godot a while ago
>>
>>335900529
Are you using cpp or the scripting language?
>>
>>335900459
Yes that's right, but I didn't think of specifically making him a "cereal game mascot". Originally it was just some random product-tie-in.
>>
I'm so pissed off with Romero's Kickstarter now I'm making a fps.

I'm working with Unity, how fucked am I?
>>
>>335901419
Ah okay. Well I still hope your game turns out to be pretty good. It certainly looks like it could be a bit of fun.
>>
>>335901521
>inb4 unity meme

Its fine. Go look at some other fps's made with unity and see if thats close enough to what you want to do with it although personally i'd use UE for it myself
>>
>>335901521
Use UE4.
You want nice graphics don't you
>>
>>335901631
Anon, my game will hurt your eyes
>>
>>335901948
What are you doing, making a Problem Solverz fps?
>>
3d platformer in unity how? I've done a bunch of resources on 2d, bit 3d seems non existent and I'm scared.
>>
>>335902298
I'm have no real objective. I'm working ij movement and speed, then I'll work in enemies and AI. At some point I'll think in the setup, but I'm shit at art
>>
>>335902446
It's pretty easy to make a basic 3d platfomer if you understand basic collisions and rigid body stuff. And if you don't understand those then you can always find a tutorial online, or something. I always used to find shitty youtube videos and code-copy till I got it all.
>>
>>335902446
Tutorials on YouTube. People have made entire series on making a specific type of game in Unity, so a 3D platformer shouldn't be hard to find. It would borrow heaps from the Roll-A-Ball tutorial anyway.
>>
>>335902446
make a 3d movement controller
add objectives
make levels
>>
>>335861059
space key help in everything
>>
anyone here need help of a very mediocre blender modeller?
>>
https://clyp.it/bnig1lrf

what do you think, too sad? it's for a bad ending on a VN.
>>
>>335904096
Sounds good
I liked it better when it was only the violin (cello?), so before the 1 minute mark
>>
best newb friendly program?
>>
>>335906173
Game Maker.

However, you'll want to learn GML. It's quite easy.
>>
>>335906468
RPG Maker is even easier
Unity3D is easy as fuck imo. I found it to be easier than GameMaker for me
>>
What are some good books about lightning and other effects for Unity?
>>
>>335906945
i will probably sound like a degenerate but youtube and internet articles are way more effective
>>
>>335906858
>even easier
You need to learn Ruby for RPGmaker to be of any use, and even then it runs like complete ass.
>>
>>335906945
>books
Shit changes way too often to bother with printing it.
>>
>>335907227
it's really not that hard, it's just very basic scripting
>>
>>335907383
>>335907227
And besides you need to code if you want to make a decent game in GameMaker as well
>>
>>335907167
>>335907334

Kill yourselves, retards.
>>
>>335904096
Perfect for a sad VN ending. Disagree with >>335904481 Piano is great
>>
File: x5GhqyT.gif (1 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
x5GhqyT.gif
1 MB, 512x384
Idea guy here

Here me out on this

> open world roguelite sandbox rpg
> basically minecraft but with much MUCH more focus on gameplay and lore
> more traditional rpg gameplay. Several different classes and weapons to use.
> there are 4 worlds/dimensions each one based on the 4 elements fire water earth wind.
> each world has all the basic necessities to survive and craft tools etc, and they they all branch off in their own direction based on a theme. The player can start put in whichever world they please.
> some worlds are more difficult than others to survive in. (Resources are harder to find, stronger enemies etc)
> each world has totally unique biomes and randomly generated dungeons/ buildings / villages etc
> each world has a final boss that must be defeated. They can be fought in any order
>>
>>335908076
Haha, nice joke. Yeah, same overambitious, under-inspired bullshit every idea guy spurts.

You are joking, right?
>>
>>335906858
>>335906468
Fusion is the easiest program, you don't even need to to program any controls, it's all built in.
>>
>>335908076
Megaman meets minecraft? Sounds fine. Pick one level and develop it out. Play it constantly to make sure its fun.
>>
>>335856856
goin alrite. its almost fun now, but i constantly spot new problems and when i fix those it breaks other parts of gameplay.. guess its all compromise
>>
File: Football Head Sprite.png (1 KB, 99x59) Image search: [Google]
Football Head Sprite.png
1 KB, 99x59
character sprite
>>
>>335909519

Why is he puking?
>>
>>335909519
looks like lugia
>>
>>335909712
That's his other arm
>>
>>335909943

It looks like he is puking, you should lower them or make them a little bit smaller to avoid any confusion.
>>
how will you protect your game from piracy?
>>
>>335910061
>implying my game is going to be famous enough for anyone to want to pirate it
>>
>>335910061
>charging for your game
>not making it free to get recognition and add it to your portafolio to get into a vidya company

Shame
>>
>>335910142
doesn't matter, any game that's out on steam gets a scene release.
>>
>>335908438

I don't see how there is anything wrong with the idea
>>
>>335910061
>implying I'll charge for anything I make
Should I ever do that though, by making a good game and releasing demos.
>>
>>335910247
>want to get into existing money hungry corporations where your opinions don't matter and you're just a tiny cog in a giant machine instead of being your own boss and doing what you love for money.
>>
>>335910253
Oh well, good for them. Maybe some of them will play it.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-29+at+07.00.41).jpg (181 KB, 771x813) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-29+at+07.00.41).jpg
181 KB, 771x813
Spent 2 weeks converting everything from half a dozen scenes floating in a void to all being interconnected.
>>
>>335910409
>not being a cog to have guaranteed revenue while you als make your own projects

Gotta be real sometimes.
>>
>>335910449
How do you manage rendering? It diesn't lag does it?
>>
>>335910449
got screenshot/video of gameplay?
>>
>>335910061
make it so cheap that its easier to just click buy

and open development/regular updates
>>
>>335910551
I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. everything you come up with while you work for a company belongs to them, even if you do it in your spare time. ain't capitalism great?
>>
File: test1fornet.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
test1fornet.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>335910647
Game logic and physics are still handled on a per scene basis with doors connecting everything, all non current scenes are condensed into a dozen or so meshes to keep draw calls down, lighting is an issues and something I will tackle on monday.

>>335910649
Some wemb from tests a few weeks ago
>>
>>335911069
Liking the explosions. Good explosions. Have lots of them.
>>
File: test3fornet.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
test3fornet.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>335911140
ty
>>
>>335911069
> meme graphics
dropped
>>
>>335910810
What you said is a common thing but it depends on the company, some don't enforce that at all, some only enforce that if you do your projects on their property (you can do it at home, just not with their PCs).
>>
>>335856856
Does using a games devkit based in UE4 count?
>>
What engine should i use to make a 2d rpg type game? Cant be locked into standard shit since gameplay will be somewhat unique. Tile based movement like pokemon might be good. Should i just skip the engine and code everything from scratch? Another necessity is being able to use actual code. No gamemaker bullshit that locks you out allowed.
>>
File: 1461822450050.webm (3 MB, 586x328) Image search: [Google]
1461822450050.webm
3 MB, 586x328
It's coming along. Basically a dog sledding sim
>>
>>335911778
silky smooth 10fps
>>
>>335911745
>No gamemaker bullshit that locks you out allowed.
?

Not sure what you think "actual code" is.
>>
>>335911881
Webms are hard. It runs at 120ish
>>
Anyone know where on disk Unity's default shaders are? I can't fucking find them.
>>
>>335911778
>that fps
Is this a ps4 game
>>
>>335912224
Not on disk, they are hidden, you have to download them from unitys site, dont even both with unities standard shader though, that shit is off the rails behind the scenes compared to the old non pbr ones which you could fuck with all you wanted.
>>
>>335912409
I just need the fucking Text shader. What the shit unity.

Thanks anon
>>
File: game_3.jpg (115 KB, 959x536) Image search: [Google]
game_3.jpg
115 KB, 959x536
this is my game
>>
>>335899398
Hey what are you using, Unity? Game maker?
>>
>>335911882
C++? C#? Java? Code is code you retard. I dont think all versions of gamemaker fuck you but i think at least 1 does. Whatever, the most advanced version that uses gml is fine.
>>
>>335912589
Oh thats not as bad then, if you are just trying to fix the whole render order issue then throw the whole shader out and do your own simple fullbright model/modeify untys transparent unlit shader if you need something more complex then give some more details.
>>
>>335912593
I'd erect a building for her if you know what I mean
>>
>>335912868
All I need is a text that is rendered above overlay. So "Queue"="Overlay+1"
But I haven't done GLSL in years.
>>
If you need it quick and dirty render to another layer and make it render over your normal viewport, you can do all that with drag and drop shit, otherwise that should be easy enough to find on unity answers, best bet is making a new shader though, updating unitys internal shaders break all sorts of shit for no reason.
>>
>>335913805
Gonna have to make a new one. fuck unity's hierarchy system. I need them to be a certain way to make the code work, but rendered differently so it plays nice.
>>
File: inthered.png (444 KB, 631x454) Image search: [Google]
inthered.png
444 KB, 631x454
>>335856856
I noticed the new 11 update from EPIC in UE4 included an experimental version of their blueprint to c++ compiler. Saw a forum user do a test with it and he gained a whopping 1125% performance increase. So I'm only happy for what the future holds as I've always been a bit afraid when using blueprints and how the performance would hold up.

It should be noted that I do understand I wont gain a 1125% performance increase on everything, 1125% is probably the extreme. But I'm happy with any performance increase.
>>
>>335914597
Blueprints are 10% slower than C++ from what I read.
The new performance gain is massive when you're doing huge loops (iterating through objects in the tens of thousands).
You won't see that boost everywhere like you said, but you will when you're doing long and complex operations.
>>
>>335913805
Well, good news is Unity's hierarchy overrides render order. Fuck.
>>
>>335915075
They're 10x slower due to VM, but with the new compiler it gets compiled into C++ although probably not the best one.
>>
>>335915091
And finally solved it. Unity says fuck you to GLSL convention by rendering fucking backwards. Renders Overlay after overlay+1
>>
>>335914597
That's great to hear. I updated to 4.11 when it happened and didn't know about this feature.
>>
File: gloriousbluemanprogress.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gloriousbluemanprogress.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>335915075
I'm mostly happy due to my blueprint based deformation code and my old climbing code which I abandoned due to awful performance.
>>
>>335917210
I only noticed about it when I checked the forums, but it's experimental and the 11.2 version doesn't for example support custom blueprint structs. But I'm stoked for what it's going to do for pure blueprint projects. Hopefully people won't laugh and claim it's impossible anymore.
>>
>>335915091
that's just for the UI.
>>
>>335917448
Oh. That's still fucking dumb.
Whatever, Its working, I'm happy.
>>
>>335912617
Game Maker
>>
File: 1461170219471.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1461170219471.png
38 KB, 499x338
This is a stupid question, but I'm guessing Alpha Channels are used for health bars and shit and aren't fucking hand animated by a madman?
>>
>>335918714
For sure. Bar one complete bar then scale/cut/whatever as you lose life.
Hand animating would be absolute insanity.
>>
>>335917768
Just use multiple canvases and override sorting.
>>
File: EYE_Divine_Cybermancy_threads.png (209 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
EYE_Divine_Cybermancy_threads.png
209 KB, 510x346
>>335919574
Thank you anon
>>
in the bare minimum planning stages right now. currently i'm deciding on whether to use game maker or unity. i'm trying to make a simple 2d turn based rpg with timed hit mechanics similar to super mario rpg's. what would work better?

inb4 rpg maker, i've used it already and i don't like it that much. i feel too limited in what i can do
>>
>>335920114
Your asking the wrong questions. It's never a matter of "I want to make this, what engine should I use?". Noone's gonna boot up your game and say "Ah you know what, that GameMaker logo is such a turnoff, I'm just gonna go play something else".

I'd definitely say that what you want to achieve is super simple in Unity and you certainly get a lot more useful experience from it(yeah good luck have fun landing a job as a gamemaker developer) but in the end it doesn't matter at all.

With that said, I'll add that I've used GameMaker and Unity both and I simply prefer Unity. I get to use C# instead of GameMakers god awful GML and I have a lot more control with minimal effort.
>>
>>335920847
Fuck Noone, he sounds like a dick
>>
File: 1431523044326.jpg (296 KB, 1324x1104) Image search: [Google]
1431523044326.jpg
296 KB, 1324x1104
Who does the best UE4 tutorials?
>>
I'm making a 3d online Mario Party game.

It's going okay.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.