[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does PS4 Remote Play work with less latency on a Vita or an Xperia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: ps_vita_system_mx.png (227 KB, 540x310) Image search: [Google]
ps_vita_system_mx.png
227 KB, 540x310
Does PS4 Remote Play work with less latency on a Vita or an Xperia?

Assume high end 5GHz ac capable router and ideal conditions. PS4 wired to router, streaming within the router's LAN.
>>
Vita comes with perfectly designed physical buttons and decent battery life, it was pretty much converted to become PS4s companion accessory and will also play other games some of which are available on both PS4 and Vita.

If you have a decent router then I think the Vita is better. I have an Xperia phone too and I only used the streaming function twice, once for sake of curiosity and the other time was to download some shit.
>>
>>335838859
I already have an Xperia Z2 with a GCM10. I don't have a PS4 yet, but latency is very important to me.

Unfortunately last time I tried with a friend's PS4 I had to use an unofficial remote play port since my phone is using CM12. It worked like shit despite remotr play working perfect between my PC and my laptop.

So I don't know if I should get a Vita or just wait until I eventually need a newer phone.
>>
>>335840792
Vita will play 60fps smoothly if you have a decent router.

Just don't expect to play games that require frame perfect input like 2D fighters because with these no streaming technology will be good enough. MGS V, DMC 4 SE and even Call of Duty play fine with a Vita. I haven't noticed any "latency" on these.
>>
I've got an Xperia Z3C and a PS Vita, remote play on the Xperia has been mostly worthless due to lag. I've only used it on the Vita a few times for navigation stuff and it seems better.

My PS4 is on WiFi though because it simply isn't feasible to put it on a wired connection.
>>
>>335841225
Wiiu gamepad is pretty close for native games.

Virtual console has absurd delay though.
>>
>>335841225
I have extremely low latency from PC to laptop. Ping is under 1 second, and video decoding is done through hardware. I have 1 or 2 frames (out of 60) of lag tops in SFV to the point where it is 99% unnoticeable (but being somewhat seasoned, I'd be lying if I said completely unnoticeable, it does throw off your timing in difficult links, but it's so slight that you can adjust quickly).

Despite being able to notice it (ONLY in SF though, not even Metal Gear Rising), I can't actually see it. To my eyes the latency is zero.

Would the Vita be the same on PS4 using the same network?
>>
>>335841225
Forgot to ask, can you pair the DS4 with the Vita itself or do you need to make it go through the PS4 directly?

This would be important as I have 5GHz AC wifi repeaters around the house to keep signal at 100% and on my PC the ping is still sub 1ms to the router, but the distance would probably be too much for bluetooth.
>>
>>335842064
>Would the Vita be the same on PS4 using the same network?
No, it's going to have approximately 100ms of input lag always due to hardware limitations of the PS4's encoding hardware. It's the same whether using the Vita, an Xperia smart phone, or a Windows PC/Mac.
>>
>>335842242
you can pair the DS4 by itself with the Vita
>>
>>335842479
>100ms
Fuck me, that's a shitload.

I have approximately 40ms of lag when streaming to my phone using nVidia Gamestream and it's essentially unplayable.

Any chance the PS4 Neo will fix this, or is the Vita also a fixed bottleneck in latency?
>>
>>335841845
sort of. pokken runs 30fps when using the gamepad for local multiplayer. gamepad also doesnt stream over the internet - it just creates a local connection like bluetooth which is why the pairing range is so small
>>
>>335842737
Stop being an autistic cuck. 100ms isn't even that much considering the human brain. The games are perfectly playable on Vita, even with that latency. You're not playing Counter Strike with a mouse. Some anons in the thread said that MGS V is perfectly playable with a Vita and I second this. Unless you're playing frame perfect stuff like SFV it's good enough. You gonna love doing shitty side ops missions in your bed.
>>
>>335843090
No, seriously. I play a lot of action games. 100ms is going to be horse shit for NiOh and Nier Automata.

And I can seriously notice the lag on my phone especially when aiming in MGSV.

Call me autistic all you want, but as I said I'm extremely sensitive to this shit. Using low latency displays, dropping prerendered frames in drivers... I can honestly notice it even if I wish I didn't.

It's probably a side effect of a lifetime of CRT gaming. If you haven't started gaming on high end monitors, don't start at all. Its better but you can't go back, and it sucks.
>>
>>335842737
Yeah, that's basically the best case scenario for the Vita unfortunately. It's okay for some slow games but I have multiple devices that support PS4 remote play and I literally only use them to manage downloads and shit.

The PS4 Neo should include an improved encoding block with h.265 support and in theory reduced latency but the Vita doesn't have hardware h.265 decoding support because it's from 2012. They might be able to improve the h.264 encoding performance and reduce latency on the Vita but there's no guarantee of this. The Vita is a nearly dead platform and they're definitely not going to refresh its hardware.

It would be easier to improve remote play for smart phones and windows / mac though since they have better processors and hardware h.265 decoding support will be coming if it's not already there.
>>
>>335844210
Hm. I guess I'll wait for the Neo and see how it works with whatever Xperia is out by then.

Man, it really sucks that the Vita is dead in Sony's eyes even though it's getting Toukiden 2 and every freaking Warriors.
>>
>>335843776
You'll get used to it. Next you're going to tell me highway by car at 110mph is "undrivable" because "the latency" on the brakes are too high or the "graphics are shit" because of the tunnel effect.

Memes aside, it's just a matter of getting used to it anon. Don't be a dick.
>>
>>335844436
>see how it works with whatever Xperia is out by then.
anon, I have bad news...
>>
>>335844472
I've already tried getting used to it and I can't. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just can't help but feel like I'm having a miserable experience from the delayed response.

It's fine if you think 100ms is playable and I'm unironically happy for you. I'd like to be able to just buy the damn console and forget about it but I can't. For you it might be OCD or some shit, but for me it's just not good.

Thanks for your feedback though.
>>
>>335844606
What? Isn't Xperia literally just now getting new models?
>>
>>335844923
>I just can't help but feel like I'm having a miserable experience from the delayed response.
Sounds like your setup is shit and you actually can't reach a playable stream rate.

>It's fine if you think 100ms is playable and I'm unironically happy for you. I'd like to be able to just buy the damn console and forget about it but I can't. For you it might be OCD or some shit, but for me it's just not good.
I have shit standards right and you are uber superior because of your uber standards? So you really are a dick who don't know shit about video games and lives on the memes?

Under 50ms response times can be important in some cases and I respect your opinion, me and other anons acknowledged that it's unaccepatable for some genres but to decree "under 100ms is unplayable" is being a dick no matter how you look at it. If you are OP you may leave now as you are of bad faith. I won't respond anymore but just know that being a dick won't get you anywhere no matter the context kiddo.

Thanks for your feedback though.
>>
>>335845928
I was trying to be nice, man. Calm down.
>>
>>335844998
The Xperia X "Performance" was announced a few months ago but is still unavailable and may be Sony's last high-end smart phone.
>>
>>335847018
I guess that if that turns out to be the case, they'll make RP compatible with all devices. That'd work out for me as well.
>>
>>335846689
Sorry anon but this "it's unplayable unless it's on my meme numbers and even then.." is getting annoying. Video games aren't really about numbers they're about gameplay, and other things, responiseveness is important but if you start bringing meaningless numbers we might start comparing bananas to oranges.

Stop being a faggot, and stop measuring shit in ms because while 250ms will be more than enough for lot of games 20ms will be an absolute minimum for some others.
>>
>>335847270
I expect this will happen sooner than later, it's already been side loaded onto other phones and their remote play application is available on Windows and Mac.

I actually really like Sony phones for other reasons which is why them quitting sucks.
>>
>>335847380
What else do you want me to say other than "I've tried it at 40ms and it's not enjoyable for me"? I don't understand why you are choosing to read it as "you're a fucking casual plebeian filth" or whatever the hell you said before, because that's really not what I mean.

>>335847398
I've sideloaded it on my Xperia Z2 (official release won't work on flashed phones) and it works like fucking shit.

Something is wrong with the modified version because it works much worse than nV Gamestream from my PC to the same phone. Same router, hardwired to both pc and ps4.

Gamestream (through Moonlight) itself is noticeably more latent than hardwired pc to wifi laptop through Steam inhome streaming which works fucking incredible, almost like magic. So it's not my network either, but I dunno if it's the phone or the Moonlight version of Gamestream. Or hell, even Gamestream itself.
>>
>>335848208
>What else do you want me to say other than "I've tried it at 40ms and it's not enjoyable for me"?
Why not retry and try to get used to it? I don't know how much experience with video games you have but in any case bad performance is something you can easily get used to and by dismissing something for simply not being your "CS meme Steam ebin Gaben sales " standard you can miss a shit load of good games.

Sometimes shit performs badly and while I will be the first to complain there is no denying that a good game will always be good regardless of performance or graphics.
>>
>>335848638
I really tried, anon. The Wii U gamepad and Steam in home streaming have been the only good enough experiences, and I noticed that before I ever measured anything in objective ms terms.

Why do you keep bringing up CS and Gaben? The reason I'm looking into PS RP to begin with is because I'm sick of PC for other reasons. Otherwise I'd just stay on le ebin superior mustard machine and use Steam's streaming.
>>
>>335848208
it honestly doesn't work well on my Z3C but I think that's because I've got both devices on WiFi

Certainly not well enough to actually play a game.
>>
>>335849570
Some faggot at work said it worked great on his Z3, but he's definitely not invested enough in vidya for his oppinion to actually mean anything.

Glad to get /v/'s input on that.

Mind downloading the Android terminal emulator off the Play Store and pinging your router? I consistently get over 15ms on my Z2 but under 1ms on my shitty 400€ acer laptop/tablet hybrid PC.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.