[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's no secret today's Nintendo looks an awful lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: NintendoSales_Inline.jpg (40 KB, 610x342) Image search: [Google]
NintendoSales_Inline.jpg
40 KB, 610x342
It's no secret today's Nintendo looks an awful lot like late 90s Sega. But what would nintendo as a third party dev look like? I haven't bought a nintendo home console since the gamecube, but I always see 3 or so games that I want on nintendo's consoles I know I can never play. I think if the NX fails they would probably have a lucrative future releasing third party titles on Sony's or Microsoft's hardware.

That being said, I loved the DS and 3DS and hope they can keep control of the handheld market, although them making inroads into mobile """"""""gaming""""""" has me worried.
>>
>>335837331
>he actually thinks Nintendo would ever go third party
>>
>>335837331
Their pride would never allow them to go third party.

The IPs would die with the consoles.
>>
>>335837924
This.

That would be like seeing Sonic on an Nintendo platform.

Ain't happening fellas.
>>
>>335837331
Did you miss the "Wii" column. They are doing shittily but they have so much money banked it'll take tons of gens in a row to put them in a tough position.
>>
>>335837924
I think Nintendo would sooner did than go third party, honestly.
>>
>>335838057

Is this the same pride that doesn't allow them to make mobile games?
>>
>>335837924
>>335838057
You stupid fucking idiots. Pride is allowed only to the successful. They'll go mobile/3rd party if they need to. Not anytime soon though.
>>
>>335837924
Remember when Nintendo higher-ups would say they wouldn't pimp out their IPs for mobile? Don't you look fucking stupid.
>>
>>335837924
Give them another gen of sub 20 million hardware sales and they'll be scratching their heads for ideas. Desperation will make it seem more appealing.
>>
>>335837331

The Wii was slightly less shit than the WiiU. I'm surprised it sold so many units.
>>
>>335837331
Got a chart for the handhelds?
>>
Third party nintendo would just mean less games made due to smaller profit margins and WORSE games made due to having to follow guidelines of another hardware and publisher.
>>
>>335837924
>>335838057
>Thinking Nintendo will choose bankruptcy over having their IP's go third party because of pride.

You're a barrel of laughs you know that?
>>
>>335837331
>But what would nintendo as a third party dev look like?
They would probably go handheld/mobile before making games for other consoles.
They would struggle to compete with optimising games for consoles and PCs, the visual quality of the games would suffer (check out how much optimisation went into wind waker, it is insane) and probably have to sell of SOME franchises, probably starting with lesser known ones, but Mario, Zelda and Metroid would probably never be given up.
>>
>>335837331
A console fails if it doesn't have compelling games to buy the console for, and Nintendo's 1st party games' jobs are to sell the console. If Nintendo's consoles sell poorly it's a direct result of the software being considered "inadequate" or "lame".

With that said, what makes you think that Nintendo will magically belt out better games just from stepping out of the console race?
>>
>>335838617
It was the gimmick
Remember the first time everybody played Wii Sports and all the normies and casuals the world over shit themselves?
>>
>>335838617
IMO the Wii was even worse than the Wii U. It mostly sold to normies and geriatrics who bought it for Wii Sports or Wii Fit, played it for a week, then put it in a closet and forgot about it. Probably one of the worst attach rates of any console ever. Wii had:
>>
>>335837331
they released like no games this quater

they still made nearly $150 mil profit

sega was leaking money hard
>>
>>335839324
There's way more to the Wii's success than the shitty "gimmick" excuse, but you likely wouldn't listen.
>>
File: Sonyggers 35.jpg (64 KB, 273x720) Image search: [Google]
Sonyggers 35.jpg
64 KB, 273x720
>>335837331
>It's no secret today's Nintendo looks an awful lot like late 90s Sega.

Actually no.
Sega was crippled because they had 3 bad generations in a row.
It was their own fault because they made consoles like he Game Gear.

t was betterin graphical therms compared to the Game Boy but way too big and had nearly no good games.
I mean everybody remembers Tetris and Mario Games on the Gameboy but the Game Gear was a financial disaster.

Instead of publishing a new console they shat out the Sega CD( which had bad and minimal support ) and even worse the 32X attachement.
Nobody had these consoles and nobody wanted them, consumers were confused.

Than thei failed again with Sega Saturn, which sold much less than the Playstation and N64.
It was a disaster for SEGA and if you look up the release dates you will understand why:
They released all these things in 1-2 year rythm. Which developer wanted to develop for the SEGA Cd if the new console for SEGA was already on their way.

And the final coffin after so many failures was the Dreamcast.
They lost billions on this thing + in an attempt to save it they created Shen Mue a great game but a financial disaster.

And how is this even remotly comparable to Nintendo?
The Wii and Ds generated billions of bucks ( pic related ) and most of the money is actually on the bank.
The Wii U itself was a failure but Nintendo made a profit in the last years because of the games released for Wii U, 3Ds, 3ds and Wii U console sales + Amiibos

So instead opening shitty threads how about fuck yourself
>>
>>335839553
>Worst exclusive zelda
>Worst smash bros.
>Worst Metroid
>Worst version of twilight princess
>no HD
>best game on the system was a poorly marketed swan song release
>>
>>335837331
>But what would nintendo as a third party dev look like?
An awful lot like modern SEGA. Whoever thinks Nintendo going third party would go flawlessly, is a poor braindead idiot. Going third party would mean losing money, developer studios and much more. Quality of their games would drop. The output of yearly games would terribly slow down. They would be forced to follow AAA trends, like cinematic experiences.

But it won't happen. No matter how many times you repeat it. No matter how many threads you make about the same topic. No matter if you are riding the shitposting wave of the recent days. Nintendo won't go third party.
>>
>>335837924
>he thinks a public company can use muh puraido as an excuse for not making money and going under
>>
>>335839705
This is /v/ don't even bother.
>>
>>335838151
They aren't going to just light their cash reserves on fire churning out failed console after failed console. Their shareholders wouldn't stick around for that, either.
>>
>>335839745

Best game(s) on the system are the best rated games ever rated so far

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
>>
>>335839685
prove it you delusional retard
>>
File: 1461508084170.png (787 KB, 1300x1192) Image search: [Google]
1461508084170.png
787 KB, 1300x1192
>>335838671
>no hardware rnd cost
>hardware producers scrambling for advertising rights on your game marketing it for free
>smaller profit margins
>>
>>335840261
http://kimberleyhansen.tumblr.com/post/28532692547/birdmen-and-the-casual-fallacy
>>
>>335840413

>He thinks Hardware people would be the ones asking Nintendo to produce for them and not the other way around

Literally born yesterday huh?
>>
>>335840413
Hardware brings also profits, not only costs. This is what you simpletons don't get.

And by "hardware" I also include peripheals, controllers and similar shit.
>>
>>335839059
You missed a step. First party games sell you on the console but third party keeps you there. There are no third parties so while smash is fun, I'm not buying a $300 smash machine.
>>
>>335839324
I remember people on /v/ being hyped for that shit. Not just normies. People thought it would basically be like "Oh man I'm gonna be 1:1 Luke Skywalker".

Kind of same is happening with VR now but at least it's better tech. So far all the games have been laughable cashgrabs though so I'm not optimistic.
>>
>>335840783
3rd parties only flock to the console if its hardware is accessible and(more importantly) if it sells a lot. For Nintendo, once again 1st party games are crucial for those initial sales and building a large install base which in turn would compel 3rd parties to consider making games to get a piece of the pie. Amusingly enough in the Wii's case 3rd parties were adamantly against putting games on Nintendo's consoles for a variety of reasons, some of which were made up, like the hardware being "bad", the "image" being too "kiddy", etc., and they didn't need to because eventually the 360 picked up steam and 3rd parties just decided to stick with those consoles instead. It's not the first time 3rd parties refused Nintendo for arbitrary reasons, and it won't be the last.
>>
>>335840596
>Nintendo names a third party Mario platformer
>everyone scrambles for exclusive advertising rights as a family friendly title during the holiday season
Yes. This would happen.
>>
>>335840851
Yeah. I wasn't on /v/ in 2005, but I remember gamefaqs being glowingly optimistic about the Revolution while Sony's PS3 was a laughingstock. By 2008 though the hype was clearly dead and people were meh on motion controls.

In retrospect though, wouldn't a lightsaber sim not have worked on Wii? IIRC the motion controls can't be used vertically because they won't be able to catch the LEDs on the sensor bar.
>>
>>335841286
Pretty much, which was the point of the MotionPlus, but even when that came out said lightsaber game never came around.
>>
>>335841213
>the hardware being "bad"

How on earth was this not true for the Wii? The hardware was literally two gamecubes taped together.
>>
>>335841505
I never said it wasn't, but considering how much more effort 3rd parties put on PS2 or even GCN games not even a year prior it's kind of disappointing to see how pathetic 3rd party efforts on the Wii really were.
>>
>>335841213
Remind that sega never wanted to bring yakuza to west.

Ubisoft bitched and moaned about WiiU not having a install base, before even the PS4 comes.

and EA bullshit, like doing legacy versions of Fifa games and ME3.
>>
>>335837331
Failed expensive add-ons, the last gen console being a complete failure and huge in-fighting between the Japanese and American branches?

I'm not seeing that.
>>
>>335841286
You don't need the leds for motion stuff, just targeting (pointer on screen) but the initial Wiimote's tech was too primitive for 1:1 motions. It was capable of detecting which side is up and if you are swinging it and stuff like that. Motionplus made it at least very close to mimicking your exact movements but by the time it came out Wii was pretty much dead and only some shovelware shit used it in addition to a couple of first party titles.
>>
>>335840123
>What is Ocarina of Time?
>What is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2?
>What is Grand Theft Auto V?
All games rated higher than SMG 1 or 2
>>
>>335841851
>huge in-fighting between the Japanese and American branches?

To be fair, sometimes looks like NoA is ignoring some NoJ orders.

But i think thats just me.
>>
File: wii[1].jpg (117 KB, 1008x397) Image search: [Google]
wii[1].jpg
117 KB, 1008x397
>>335840851
This image describes most people's Wii experience perfectly and why it sold initially.
>>
>>335842004
Not really.

If you go by reviews, first galaxy is on top of everything.

But by pure score, OOT still the 99 points.
>>
>>335842219
What the fuck are you even talking about? What's the difference between "going by reviews" and "pure score"?
>>
>>335840628
Stupid shit like skylanders exists as a third party senpai.
>>
>>335842395
Galaxy games have way more reviews than OOT.
>>
>>335837331

I'd hate for Nintendo to go just software dev. As it is the other console devs are making things stagnant "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Nintendo innovates.

Any time there's a PS4 exclusive, the very first thing that comes to mind is "why can't I just play this on PC, there should be a PC port"

But with a Nintendo exclusive I think "My PC wouldn't have the hardware necessary to play this game right, I need the Nintendo console to play this"

I mean, the D pad was a Nintendo innovation. The Gameboy, the DS, the Wii, and Wii U were all innovative for their times too.
>>
>>335837331

t. underage
>>
File: Neogav reacts to Nintendo news.gif (941 KB, 300x221) Image search: [Google]
Neogav reacts to Nintendo news.gif
941 KB, 300x221
>>335837331
>It's no secret today's Nintendo looks an awful lot like late 90s Sega
I want underages to leave.

There are so many differences between why Sega went third party and Nintendo's current state. For one, NoA and NoJ are on the same page and not actively sabatoging each other. For another, even the Wii U is making Nintendo profits. Beyond that Nintendo is sitting on a fuckton of cash from the 7th gen and literally just sold off the Mariners. Miitomo is in the top 5 downloaded apps on mobile, this will continue with AC & FE later this year. They're literally branching out to more mediums.

All of this is making money. Their games are making money. Mario Kart 8 is practically at 8 million units on a dead console. Do you work for Polygon? Did you make this article? http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

Goddamn, these Nintendoom threads will never stop being retarded.
>>
File: wiitard.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wiitard.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>335842069
>implying people didn't go full tard and send controllers flying through their screens
The Wii did just and delivered what was promised, especially if you stuck around for motion +
>>
>>335838067
kek
>>
>>335842593
I disagree completely. Nintendo used to make regular hardware and innovate in game design more than hardware design. Sure the controller changed in shape and got more buttons but it was always meant to just let you control the game via button inputs and main focus was on software. Until Wii and DS.

After that they have just focused on wacky ways to make you play the same games. "It's Zelda with no new innovation but this time you can waggle!" "It's Zelda again but this time you use touch controls!" "It's Star Fox 64 with gyro!"
>>
>>335838910
It depends on what you mean by "third-party".

Its third party offerings will be on Android and Apple because that's where the age group Nintendo traditionally courts is going to be.

What's not going to happen is a bunch of hardcore gamer-targeted AAA titles suddenly appearing on the Playstation 4 or PC systems.
>>
>ITT underage faggots pretending they know why SEGA died

Sega of America fucking wishes it printed out gold like Amiibo. It was a sabotage left and right.
>>
>>335842990
I actually cut the wrist straps off my Wiimotes because I never used them and it was annoying they kept flailing about. Also cut the plastic tags from extension controllers and never used the condoms. I have no idea what the fuck you need to do for the Wiimote to go flying.
>>
Nintendo would have to downsize significantly if they went software only.

I hear people say they would print money. They would have to pay licensing fees.
>>
>>335837924
They're already third party devs for android.
>>
>>335837924
They are already messing with mobile. Thats worse than going third party.
>>
Nintendo may continue to make money, but I think it's pretty likely that they're going to lose whatevers left of their core fanbase
>>
>>335838659
Sony is too embarrased by the Vita numbers so they budle it with PS3 as "others" Because of that, you can't make a comparison. Dont suggezt VG chartz because they make the numbers up
>>
>>335844702
>sony makes an actual good handheld
>they don't support it and kill it when ps4 starts selling

it's not fair
>>
>>335844874
People wanted a price drop thanks to the 3DS drop and Apple/Android took the other parts.
>>
>>335840563
This was written by that one kid in college who would talk for a million years when the professor asked a simple question and even he eventually gets sick of him by the end of the semester.

The post is pretty good, but my god does this writer love the smell of his own cockstank.
>>
>>335843302

The only times Nintendo didn't innovate in hardware was the gamecube generation.

Not all of their innovations were good mind you, some only had limited applications like Uforce, powerglove, the running pad they had for track and field games, R.O.B., the SNES mouse. The N64's bizzare 3 handed controller (I considered it a failed innovation but whatever, they ran with it)

But they always wanted to distinguish themselves by doing something their competitors weren't doing, when all their competitors were doing was focusing on higher fidelity graphics.

I'd say that they still innovate on a software front as well. Super Mario Galaxy's spherical worlds and gravity effects were innovative.
>>
>>335844874

It's not "killed". They still manufacture it and it still has good 3rd party support. There is like 7 games coming out for the thing this year that I want
>>
>>335837924

oh you are just adorable

what are you 20 years old? you adorable little thing
>>
>>335843302
They've always done wacky shit. They experiment all the time. It's just that not everything sticks.
>>
>>335839705
You forgot that Sega was horribly mismanaged for years. And I dont mean the stupid "lol NoA sucks" things we see now, I mean actually gigantic fuckups like sega of america quarreling with the japanese division, random pricechanges, the saturn release date change, etc.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.